Author Topic: Bird watch  (Read 282956 times)

Offline Mal

• adjusted. The Preston Heston is Aylesbury Ducked. Accepts rubbers from any Dick.
  • Legacy Fan
Re: Bird watch.
« Reply #320 on: April 5, 2013, 11:28:00 am »
My wife was describing the group of birds she saw on a walk and she's adamant it was 5-10 waxwings. I presumed they were really rare so scoffed at her. Should I tell a bird group in case they want to check it out?

Waxwings are cold weather migrants, usually along the east coast, hence me not seeing them before. I live in Bucks these days & they dont make it this far across every year. So yes, if she was right & if you're in Liverpool then I'd get someone on the RSPB's site told. I hear they like that kind of thing ;)
@ManifoldReasons

Offline ۩ Imperator ۩

• CAE DIVI AUG
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • "Let them hate me, as long as they respect me"
« Reply #321 on: April 5, 2013, 12:24:49 pm »
Mandarin ducks are so beautiful.
In a free state there should be freedom of speech and thought.
 Tiberius Caesar Augustus,
Roman Emperor & General (42 BC - 37 AD)

Offline The Gulleysucker

• RAWK's very own spinached up Popeye. Transfer Board Veteran 5 Stars.
  • RAWK Remembers
  • Legacy Fan
  • An Indolent Sybarite
« Reply #322 on: April 5, 2013, 12:28:22 pm »
I seem to remember there being quite a lot around Virginia Water and the Thames around Old Windsor when we used to live there 25 years ago.
(There was also a large well established colony of Parakeets in Old Windsor too...)
I don't do polite so fuck yoursalf with your stupid accusations...

Right you fuckwit I will show you why you are talking out of your fat arse...

Mutton Geoff (Obviously a real nice guy)

Offline John C

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #323 on: April 5, 2013, 12:50:18 pm »
I seem to remember there being quite a lot around Virginia Water and the Thames around Old Windsor when we used to live there 25 years ago.
(There was also a large well established colony of Parakeets in Old Windsor too...)
One annually frequents Calderstones Park, well it did until recently. I was stunned to see such a beautiful bird floating on the lake a couple of years ago.

Offline Bob Kurac

• Cares.
  • RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Modern football is shit
Bird watch.
« Reply #324 on: April 5, 2013, 01:33:15 pm »
Waxwings are cold weather migrants, usually along the east coast, hence me not seeing them before. I live in Bucks these days & they dont make it this far across every year. So yes, if she was right & if you're in Liverpool then I'd get someone on the RSPB's site told. I hear they like that kind of thing ;)
been loads in Liverpool all winter ...

Offline zero zero

• Karma's a bitch. Innit.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #325 on: April 5, 2013, 01:44:10 pm »
We have a pair of long-tailed tits that visit our garden. They always bring a smile to my face; magical little things really
« Last Edit: April 5, 2013, 03:25:15 pm by zero zero »

Offline Draex

• Geek God of Typing Letters. Hugo unleashes Jaws? Purveyor of fuel products in Kent.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #326 on: April 5, 2013, 03:10:57 pm »
So I stumbled into the wrong thread.. Not the birds I was after :(

Offline John C

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #327 on: April 5, 2013, 03:21:06 pm »
So I stumbled into the wrong thread.. Not the birds I was after :(
yawn.

Offline Mal

• adjusted. The Preston Heston is Aylesbury Ducked. Accepts rubbers from any Dick.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #328 on: April 5, 2013, 03:25:09 pm »
been loads in Liverpool all winter ...

It's been fucking freezing all winter ;)
@ManifoldReasons

Offline Bob Kurac

• Cares.
  • RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
Bird watch.
« Reply #329 on: April 5, 2013, 09:45:51 pm »
Anyone up for an ID quiz?

All photos by me, which is why they're bloody awful, which in turn is what makes it a challenge.

These first six were all taken on Merseyside

1. Glossy Ibis

2. Spotted Redshank

3. Little Gull

4. Garganey

5. Goldcrest

6. Curlew Sandpiper

Standby for 7-12

Offline Bob Kurac

• Cares.
  • RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
Bird watch.
« Reply #330 on: April 5, 2013, 09:47:18 pm »
7. Sussex - Great Grey Shrike

8. Yorkshire - American Robin

9. Bowland - Red Grouse

10. Rhyl - Desert Wheatear (fem)

11. Northumberland - Fulmar

12. Warrington - Waxwings

Standby for final six

Offline Bob Kurac

• Cares.
  • RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
Bird watch.
« Reply #331 on: April 5, 2013, 09:49:29 pm »
13 Andalucia - Black-winged Stilts

14 Camargue - Mediterranean Gulls

15 Merseyside - Green-winged Teal

16 Scotland - Northern Wheatear (fem)

17 Anglesey - Chough

18 Merseyside - Snow Bunting

Offline JohnHobbes

• Resident Expert Paronomasian
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #332 on: April 5, 2013, 10:14:30 pm »
8. Yorkshire - American Robin

Damn, my first thought was Robin for eight but couldn't place which branch of the family. Love number seven too, the Great Grey Strike, saw them last summer and got an average-ish set of shots but not a good one Nd they were gone the next day when I went back again for another shot.

Offline Bob Kurac

• Cares.
  • RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
Bird watch.
« Reply #333 on: April 6, 2013, 01:23:59 am »
Damn, my first thought was Robin for eight but couldn't place which branch of the family. Love number seven too, the Great Grey Strike, saw them last summer and got an average-ish set of shots but not a good one Nd they were gone the next day when I went back again for another shot.

The American Robin is a kind of thrush really: it's only the red breast that gets it the name.

Offline JohnHobbes

• Resident Expert Paronomasian
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #334 on: April 6, 2013, 09:44:41 pm »
The American Robin is a kind of thrush really: it's only the red breast that gets it the name.

Makes sense, looks very similar to a Mistle Thrush once you remove the 'misleading' red breast. Need to brush up on my less common bird identification skills before spring starts properly.

Offline Bob Kurac

• Cares.
  • RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
Bird watch.
« Reply #335 on: April 6, 2013, 11:27:58 pm »
A couple from today in N Merseyside ...

Offline John C

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #336 on: April 7, 2013, 12:09:40 am »
There's probably an unintentional contrast in those two brilliant pics Bob.
The discreet searching and the dishevelled screaming.

Offline lucas65

• Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #337 on: April 7, 2013, 05:42:48 pm »
Can someone identify a bird that flew from a farmers field last week. It was a medium size and mostly black with some white. The unusual thing was the outline of the wings. They were concave both sides with "fingers" at the ends. It was like the wings went in and then larger at the ends.

Offline The Gulleysucker

• RAWK Remembers
  • Legacy Fan
  • An Indolent Sybarite
« Reply #338 on: April 7, 2013, 06:47:49 pm »

When you say some white, was this on the head, the wings, the breast, and were the wings short or long in relation to the body and also did they beat fast or slow as it flew as there are a few possibilities but we might need a bit more detail to try and be more precise.

Offline damian

• Gregory Peck's scared of me. So is cling film. Too inept to swallow a tiddly (wink) ;) Likes the idea of straps.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #339 on: April 7, 2013, 09:36:45 pm »
Saw a European Eagle Owl sitting on the roof opposite ours earlier. Grabbed my camera but it flew off - massive thing it is, but then it turned back and landed on another roof opposite and just sat there for ages.

As it flew it jingled so must have bells attached, and therefore I expect its escaped from somewhere so reported it to a few places and have emailed the pic to the local paper to see if they can put something on the website to try and reunite it with its owner. Unfortunately its unlikely to be able to hunt for itself so will likely starve if not captured. Apparently there was a sighting reported to the police yesterday in our area so sounds like its sticking around.

It took a liking to our youngest daughter (though I think it might have been through hunger). She made the usual hooting owl sound, it responded with a squawk (had remained silent up until then). She then hissed (I think that's what she thought it was doing) and it squawked back, this went on for a while until I got bored and a little concerned about its welfare so wanted to report it.
RIP 97 - You'll Never Be Forgotten, You'll Never Walk Alone.

JUSTICE FOR THE 97 - Don't Buy The S*n

Offline John C

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #340 on: April 7, 2013, 09:44:07 pm »
That's a lovely pic damian mate.

Offline damian

• Gregory Peck's scared of me. So is cling film. Too inept to swallow a tiddly (wink) ;) Likes the idea of straps.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #341 on: April 7, 2013, 09:45:34 pm »
That's a lovely pic damian mate.

Cheers. Wish I could have used the flash as would have been better, but was already a bit wary of pointing the camera up at peoples houses without the flash going off in their bedroom window, I didn't fancy  being arrested :)
RIP 97 - You'll Never Be Forgotten, You'll Never Walk Alone.

JUSTICE FOR THE 97 - Don't Buy The S*n

Offline BCCC

• Or B square
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Blessed are the Cheesemakers
« Reply #342 on: April 8, 2013, 10:29:03 pm »
Last saw Mandarin ducks on the Lancaster canal at Bilsborrow near Guy's.
*****LFC Purveyors of fine football tradition since 1892*****

Offline lucas65

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #343 on: April 9, 2013, 10:30:00 am »
When you say some white, was this on the head, the wings, the breast, and were the wings short or long in relation to the body and also did they beat fast or slow as it flew as there are a few possibilities but we might need a bit more detail to try and be more precise.
It was very quick and my memory is poor at the moment but I think it was on the body and the wings were longish beating fast. I've seen it twice and thought it unusual. I will try and walk that way again and see if I can spot it. It looked like some sort of marsh bird to be honest.

Offline lucas65

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #344 on: April 9, 2013, 11:59:53 am »
Just seen them again but got a closer look. I've just looked them up and I think that they are definately lapwings. Also saw loads of yellowhammers flitting around. Thanks  :)

Offline Bob Kurac

• Cares.
  • RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
Bird watch.
« Reply #345 on: April 9, 2013, 10:12:43 pm »
Still loads of Osprey sightings all around Liverpool, Dee to Ribble: one over Crosby and Widnes in recent days. Not sure where these birds are roosting / nesting. Quite a few Ring Ouzels turning up now - Red Rocks and Leasowe good for these. Plenty of Little Gulls and Red-throated Divers off shore. I've seen quite a few Wheatears now, and I wasted half of my day off looking for the Killdeer that has been seen briefly nr Preston, but no joy.

Offline MichaelA

• MasterBaker, honey-trapper and 'concerned neighbour'. Beyond The Pale. Vermin on the ridiculous. Would love to leave Ashley Cole gasping for air. Dupe Snoop Extraordinaire. RAWK MARTYR #1. The proud owner of a new lower case a. Mickey Two Sheds.
  • RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
  • At the Academy
  • Super Title: MichaelA
« Reply #346 on: April 13, 2013, 09:37:18 am »
We refreshed our bird feeders with sunflower hearts last weekend, and they had been studiously ignored by the local avian population until this morning. I've just been rewarded by a pair of goldfinches, a blue tit and a great tit.

Offline Motty

• 'Arry's Tax Lawyer. T'riffic. Hush, hush, eye to eye. When will he, will he be famous? I can't answer that!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #347 on: April 13, 2013, 11:26:50 am »
There were loads of different types of birds in the garden if this house I was working in the other day but everytime i tried to sneak up close enough to take a pic on my phone the buggers flew off ,the only one that stayed was this one :D not quite a unusual bird like some in this thread but I was trying so long to get a good pic of something that I'm going to post it anyway :D

Offline Lawnmowerman

• Got married to Pique in April. Shakira isn't happy.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #348 on: April 13, 2013, 12:17:51 pm »
There were loads of different types of birds in the garden if this house I was working in the other day but everytime i tried to sneak up close enough to take a pic on my phone the buggers flew off ,the only one that stayed was this one :D not quite a unusual bird like some in this thread but I was trying so long to get a good pic of something that I'm going to post it anyway :D
Nice. Went to secondary school in Belcamp College, lovely old place that was designed by the same guy that designed the white house. Lots of history behind it. It was surrounded by woods and cornfields, nice big pond in it. Lovely spot for a young nature buff like meself to go to school. Would be sitting in class and you'd hear the pheasents calling away. A nice soundtrack for while you gazed out the windows

Offline mulfella

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Hedgehogs are boss
« Reply #349 on: April 13, 2013, 12:30:59 pm »
We refreshed our bird feeders with sunflower hearts last weekend, and they had been studiously ignored by the local avian population until this morning. I've just been rewarded by a pair of goldfinches, a blue tit and a great tit.

We do quite a mix of sunflower in one feeder, mixed seeds in another, a seperate one for Niger seeds (for the finches), fat balls and nuts.

If you get a good mix and keep it up you will get a regular crowd. Ours gets better every year.

Blue tits
Great Tits
Coal tits
Long tailed Tits
Sparrows
Wrens
Dunnocks
Nuthatches
Starlings
Jays
Goldfinches
Bullfinches
Robins
Wood Pigeons
Collared Doves
Woodpeckers (occasionally)
A place full of grammer Nazi's?
'Grammar' and no apostrophe in 'nazis'.

Offline Motty

• 'Arry's Tax Lawyer. T'riffic. Hush, hush, eye to eye. When will he, will he be famous? I can't answer that!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Re: Re: Bird watch.
« Reply #350 on: April 13, 2013, 02:38:48 pm »
Nice. Went to secondary school in Belcamp College, lovely old place that was designed by the same guy that designed the white house. Lots of history behind it. It was surrounded by woods and cornfields, nice big pond in it. Lovely spot for a young nature buff like meself to go to school. Would be sitting in class and you'd hear the pheasents calling away. A nice soundtrack for while you gazed out the windows
the fella who owns the house said that the same two pheasants have been coming there most days for 3 years ,its like their his pets :D
My house on my estate is on the edge of a woods and I hear pheasants constantly calling each other throughout the day  don't see them often but one about 4 years ago used to come and shit on my doorstep regularly ;D and wait to be fed . Hear owls and different birds in there all the time aswell ,which is nice and therapeutic, better than the sound of a main road or something that's for sure ;)

Offline Tsar Kastik

• Would welcome a premature one, apparently.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #351 on: April 13, 2013, 08:30:54 pm »
Those sunflower seed hearts.

I switched over from the ones in their husks, to the actual hearts and ended up getting loads of siskins as customers; feisty little buggers, they used to chase the bigger great tits away.
Plenty well, no pray; big bellyache, heap God

Offline Bob Kurac

• Cares.
  • RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
Bird watch.
« Reply #352 on: April 14, 2013, 09:50:35 pm »
Had a Siskin on one of the nyjer feeders yesterday.

So, loads of ring Ouzels and firecrests showed up this weekend, and lots of Little Gulls offshore. Chiffchaffs singing, some Willow Warblers too, and alba wagtails in a few places. I spent some time watching 3 Mediterranean Gulls this morning, two 2nd year birds and one 1st year, in Southport.

Offline The Gulleysucker

• RAWK Remembers
  • Legacy Fan
  • An Indolent Sybarite
« Reply #353 on: April 14, 2013, 10:36:01 pm »
Don't know if it's being reported up t'North but we've had another bad scene of dead and dying birds getting washed up on the beaches down here.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-22143053

The fear is that the birds getting washed up probably represent a far greater number that are dead out at sea.

There definitely seems to be something dodgy going on out there, some ships seem to be washing out their tanks and then just dumping the residue overboard with no thought of the consequences for the wildlife.

Offline MichaelA

• MasterBaker, honey-trapper and 'concerned neighbour'. Beyond The Pale. Vermin on the ridiculous. Would love to leave Ashley Cole gasping for air. Dupe Snoop Extraordinaire. RAWK MARTYR #1. The proud owner of a new lower case a. Mickey Two Sheds.
  • RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
  • At the Academy
  • Super Title: MichaelA
« Reply #354 on: April 15, 2013, 10:55:31 am »
Don't know if it's being reported up t'North but we've had another bad scene of dead and dying birds getting washed up on the beaches down here.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-22143053

The fear is that the birds getting washed up probably represent a far greater number that are dead out at sea.

There definitely seems to be something dodgy going on out there, some ships seem to be washing out their tanks and then just dumping the residue overboard with no thought of the consequences for the wildlife.

Not reported as far as I know, but we were on a beach in East Lothian yesterday with friends who live out there. They said there had been a lot of puffins washed up this spring.  :(

Offline theredguy03

• Put balls in his mouth and nearly choked
  • Legacy Fan
  • Coutinho- Used to be Man City's tormentor
« Reply #355 on: April 15, 2013, 05:04:48 pm »
Yesterday I found a Jay, had a camera with me but it flew away  :(

Suppose birdwatching is a game of patience and luck. Saw a dead pigeon on a pavement, looked like a cat/fox got it, was pretty gruesome I must say.
My favourite all time LFC player? Tough choice.

Offline TheMissionary

• PositionIsSoooooooOrdinary!
  • Legacy Fan
  • That's nice, that's McDermott, and that's a goal!!
« Reply #356 on: April 15, 2013, 09:53:31 pm »
Went to Henley a couple of weekends ago.  All the usual water birds of course but there was a Great Crested Grebe about 8 feet away, which was unusual as they usually wander to the middle of the water to keep away from people.  Mrs TheMissionary and I were just standing quietly marvelling at its colours and grace when a pair of barbour jacketed hoorays wandered along and, in a voice that sounded like she was gargling ollies said "ooh Darliiiiing....looooook!  A cormorant."  It's only the fact that I didn't want to scare the bird away that I didn't put her right.  Ironically if she'd wandered 100 yards up the bank the other way there was a pair of cormorants sitting on the stumps on the central island...not that she'd have known.
TheMissionary
YNWA

Offline ۩ Imperator ۩

• CAE DIVI AUG
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • "Let them hate me, as long as they respect me"
« Reply #357 on: April 16, 2013, 08:31:51 pm »
Yesterday I found a Jay, had a camera with me but it flew away  :(

Suppose birdwatching is a game of patience and luck. Saw a dead pigeon on a pavement, looked like a cat/fox got it, was pretty gruesome I must say.

Surely you could have got a picture of the dead pigeon?
In a free state there should be freedom of speech and thought.
 Tiberius Caesar Augustus,
Roman Emperor & General (42 BC - 37 AD)

Offline Tsar Kastik

• Would welcome a premature one, apparently.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #358 on: April 16, 2013, 08:54:02 pm »
 :)
Plenty well, no pray; big bellyache, heap God

Offline theredguy03

• Put balls in his mouth and nearly choked
  • Legacy Fan
  • Coutinho- Used to be Man City's tormentor
« Reply #359 on: April 16, 2013, 09:51:00 pm »
Surely you could have got a picture of the dead pigeon?
It would be too disgusting to show, plus I don't want the RSPCA on my back  ;)
My favourite all time LFC player? Tough choice.