Author Topic: MATCH PREVIEW - Atalanta v Liverpool - Europa League, Thurs 18 April @ 8pm  (Read 15723 times)

Offline 1892tillforever

• "Just call me................daddy.............!"
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Either the curtains go or I do
Just put in a good performance. What happens beyond that, happens. A glorious defeat will be better than going out with a whimper.
Exactly this. As long as we give it a proper go, the players can hopefully take some confidence into the weekend. Start with determination and belief and take it from there.

Worth noting that they have conceded two goals in a five-minute spell on three occasions in their last 5 Serie A matches, including at the weekend. So if we can get the first, there's a chance of a second following not long after, and that would really make things interesting.

Online naka

• Lennart Skoglund Ultra
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
I’ve got a feeling we’re going through. The players should feel thoroughly embarrassed by the first leg and be out for revenge. 5-1 to the mighty reds!
Confident for this
4-0

Offline VVM

• Kopite
  • OVER AN HOUR LEFT ESTIMATED TIME
Fancy Nunez to do something of note, either a hat trick or break his own record for hitting the post. No in between.

Offline macmanamanaman

• S art Arse.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Robbie Returns!
Fancy Nunez to do something of note, either a hat trick or break his own record for hitting the post. No in between.

The goal is in between the posts.
Go Darwin!
"A Football team is like a Piano: You need 8 people to carry it and 3 to play the damn thing" - Shankly

Offline NarutoReds

• Looking for an alcohol-fuelled sixsome with Crosby Nick, Ghost Town, WhereAngelsPlay, Charlie Adams fried egg and Al 666. Any takers?
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Saw Everton - "I'd shut the curtains..."
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/Cie_nLRV4cQ" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/Cie_nLRV4cQ</a>
It's there to remind our lads who they're playing for and to remind the opposition who they're playing against!

Offline Davidbowie

• Legacy Fan
  • The Thin White Duke
Personally, I can't see a comeback happening. Italian teams are known for their defensive qualities, and especially at home, they can sit in and look to hit us on the counter - and we have looked extremely susceptible to counter attacks all season.

United did it in the 4-3 - and many others besides.

All in for the PL title from tomorrow.
FAME makes a man take things over

Offline NarutoReds

• Looking for an alcohol-fuelled sixsome with Crosby Nick, Ghost Town, WhereAngelsPlay, Charlie Adams fried egg and Al 666. Any takers?
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Saw Everton - "I'd shut the curtains..."
Personally, I can't see a comeback happening. Italian teams are known for their defensive qualities, and especially at home, they can sit in and look to hit us on the counter - and we have looked extremely susceptible to counter attacks all season.

With the full of respect, mate... We can't have that defeatist mentality, let alone our players. Have some belief we are going to win this.

Of course, it's difficult and it's almost impossible.

Win this against Atalanta and I'm going to post the pics of my hanging dick in this thread.
It's there to remind our lads who they're playing for and to remind the opposition who they're playing against!

Offline B0151?

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Atalanta are a team where if they get it wrong they can get terribly exposed - equally as we saw last week, if you get it wrong they can expose you.

Very tall order but sooner or later we are going to smash in a load of the chances we've been missing against someone. Let this be the night. I don't know if I agree with we should go all out even if it means defeat. If we're 1 or 2 ahead at 70 mins, we are the king of late goals and can really apply the pressure with subs etc.

Offline Nice one, Barney lad!

• Main Stander
  • Take me to your Klopp.
Confident for this
4-0

So seven nil?
Are you wearing a wire?

Online disgraced cake

• Legacy Fan
  • Seis Veces
Honestly, being a Liverpool fan is seeing the same team beat you on your own turf by three goals a week ago, unable to keep clean sheets and needing a thousand chances to score one goal, looking like we've ran out of steam for the season ... and still believing we're going to go through  ;D

Okay, maybe not everyone does, maybe not many do, but as the days have gone by I've grown in confidence, something still tells me it's our best chance at silverware until the end of the season and that we can go through. I think if we go out tonight the season is basically done, sounds mad being only two points behind with six to play but I don't see City dropping points or Liverpool taking all 18 remaining in the league.

I really think if we score early massive doubt will come into their minds in which they're a bit caught on what to do. Jota pouncing on something from six yards out early. As 0151 alludes to they are the type of side who when it goes wrong, it can go really wrong, see that 5-0 a few years ago. Come on lads, make amends for that shit show last week. Go through tonight and I won't have an ounce of doubt our name will be going on the trophy soon.
Proud follower of the city's junior, and far more successful footballing side

Rome 1977
London 1978
Paris 1981
Rome 1984
Istanbul 2005
Madrid 2019

19 League Titles, 6 European Cups, 3 UEFA Cups, 8 FA Cups, 10 League Cups, 4 European Super Cups, World Champions 2019. We live the dream.

Offline Hestoic

• Kopite
Jota will get us through, I'm pretty sure about it.

Atalanta have something very precious to protect - an away lead over Liverpool. Their mentality will be tested tonight and that's what will set this game apart.

Offline mkingdon

• Legacy Fan
Atalanta will have thought of little else since the first tie other than.....this is Liverpool. The team most renowned for impossible come backs and European miracles.

Should it start to go wrong for them, their minds will start to play tricks, that feeling of "oh no not us, not with a 3-0 lead", thinking back to Dortmund, Barcelona and all other examples.

Sure we're away from home this time and in stinking form, but the one team you don't want to be trying to closing out a second leg against is Liverpool.

Much relies on us not conceding and certainly not conceding first, but even if we do, I still wouldn't put it past us to score 5.

Miracles don't always happen, but they happen most, it seems for us, and if you're an Atalanta player you are hoping against hope that tonight isn't another.

If we're 1-0 up at half time they will be nervy, any more than that and I'd strongly back us to go through.

Hopefully we can shake off this shitty form of the last week or so and create another legendary night in Europe.

Allison

Trent    Konate   VVD   Robertson

MacAllister

Elliot                         Dom

Salah           Jota            Diaz

Nunez to get the 4th coming on as a sub in the 70th.

Offline JP!

• An infinite ocean of joy. May in fact be the reincarnation of the Buddha.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Save us Fowler
    • Cranky Englishman - Yes, that's me.
Nunez to score 4, get his cock out and scream 'xG that you boring fucking c*nts' into the nearest TV camera.

Accept no substitutes
I don't agree, he'd go to Legoland. Bye.

Online Clint Eastwood

• The man with no name
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
I like that suggested line up above. Been wondering if Szobo is better off on the left.

Offline Fiasco

• Just add water to foam at the mouth. Can't spell San Francisco. Has promised to eat his own cock. Cannibal Self-Harm in that case.....
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96.
Is it the craziest thing in the world to think we could go in at half-time 2-0 up? If so then why can't we do it? Yes, we'll have to be clinical and we will have to cut out conceding silly goals and chances in general but if we start well and get an early goal I am sure they will be more nervous than us. Knowing it is a bit of a free hit might just relax our lads even more and we create plenty of chances and so maybe tonight is when they all go in.

I'm not expecting us to go through as such, I just think we've got a good chance. We can concede 1 I think, I don't see us scoring as many as 5 but we could get 4 if we dominate and that would be extra time. So IMO we've got a little bit of wiggle room, play with freedom, get an early goal or two and then we are right there.

Offline lionel_messias

• likes pulling cocker spaniels out of Kim Kardassian's ass
  • Legacy Fan
  • 'You can throw your plan in the purple bin'
I like that suggested line up above. Been wondering if Szobo is better off on the left.

According to his national team and RBL, he's probably better just off a striker too. Let him get forward and smash shots at them. See what happens, especially if Jota is on hand for the rebounds.
Follow me on twatter: @JDMessias

Offline ScubaSteve

• Sworn enemy of SnorkelStephanie
  • Legacy Fan
  • Every other Saturday's me half day off......

Yeah definitely, he’s disappeared lately.

Salah Jota and Diaz is the way…I’ll be disappointed if I see Nunez in the starting XI. I like the guy but we’ll need his pace when the opposition start tiring and likely chasing goals.

I’m getting far too optimistic about this. The harder the fall will be if we don’t qualify

Offline Higgins79

• Legacy Fan
  • return of the king
To be fair, I'm more confident that we can turn this one around than I was that we'd turn the Barca one around. I've just got a feeling that our low point is done and the form will return, and with the exception of the game against us, their form is very scratchy. And, when we are somewhere near our best, we're miles better than anything in their league.

Offline Higgins79

• Legacy Fan
  • return of the king
I'd go with...

Allison
Trent    Konate   VVD   Robertson
                MacAllister
    Dom                         Jones
Salah           Gakpo            Diaz

Online Draex

• Geek God of Typing Letters. Hugo unleashes Jaws? Purveyor of fuel products in Kent.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Overdue another Jota hat-trick, like when we put 5 past them in Bergamo (*albeit in an empty stadium).

https://twitter.com/i/status/1780929273609527807

Yes please.

Offline JC the Messiah

• Legacy Fan
  • ♪ ...and now Jürgen-a believe us... ♬

Yeah, no chance of us coming back from 3-0 down.

I mean, Italians can defend. Remember when we went 3-0 down against AC Milan on 2005, with arguably the best defence in Europe at the time? Djmi Traore in our defence, the tie was over by halftime.

Remember when we were 3-0 down against Barcelona, a side including Messi Suarez, Coutinho, etc.? We might score, but they were bound to get at least one, and with the away goals rule in place at the time, there's no way we were turning that around. We were missing two of our potent forward line as well.

So, yeah. No chance tonight. Might watch Coronation Street instead.
"I said to the boys before the game it would be impossible. But because it’s you, I say we have a chance."
Jürgen Klopp, 7 May 2019

"I told them if we score it will be different. We scored. It was different."
Rafael Benitez, 25 May 2005

Offline lionel_messias

• likes pulling cocker spaniels out of Kim Kardassian's ass
  • Legacy Fan
  • 'You can throw your plan in the purple bin'
Yeah, no chance of us coming back from 3-0 down.

I mean, Italians can defend. Remember when we went 3-0 down against AC Milan on 2005, with arguably the best defence in Europe at the time? Djmi Traore in our defence, the tie was over by halftime.

Remember when we were 3-0 down against Barcelona, a side including Messi Suarez, Coutinho, etc.? We might score, but they were bound to get at least one, and with the away goals rule in place at the time, there's no way we were turning that around. We were missing two of our potent forward line as well.

So, yeah. No chance tonight. Might watch Coronation Street instead.

You're just a naughty boy, you're not the real Messias!
😉
Follow me on twatter: @JDMessias

Online disgraced cake

• Legacy Fan
  • Seis Veces
Is it the craziest thing in the world to think we could go in at half-time 2-0 up? If so then why can't we do it? Yes, we'll have to be clinical and we will have to cut out conceding silly goals and chances in general but if we start well and get an early goal I am sure they will be more nervous than us. Knowing it is a bit of a free hit might just relax our lads even more and we create plenty of chances and so maybe tonight is when they all go in.

I'm not expecting us to go through as such, I just think we've got a good chance. We can concede 1 I think, I don't see us scoring as many as 5 but we could get 4 if we dominate and that would be extra time. So IMO we've got a little bit of wiggle room, play with freedom, get an early goal or two and then we are right there.

If we're any scoreline combination of two goals up at half time I'd be gutted if we don't go through. Problem is we've become so adept at conceding first. Get one first fifteen minutes tonight and I think it'll really settle us down and hopefully unsettle them. I think tonight the players will want to remind everyone who Liverpool are and what they're capable of in Europe.

It feels so weird we've even lost a first leg at Anfield by three goals. Can you imagine if we were home tonight and scored early, nobody in that ground would believe we'd be going out.
Proud follower of the city's junior, and far more successful footballing side

Rome 1977
London 1978
Paris 1981
Rome 1984
Istanbul 2005
Madrid 2019

19 League Titles, 6 European Cups, 3 UEFA Cups, 8 FA Cups, 10 League Cups, 4 European Super Cups, World Champions 2019. We live the dream.

Offline Andy @ Allerton!

• Missing an asterisk - no, wait sorry, that's his rusty starfish..... RAWK Apple fanboy. Hedley Lamarr's bestest mate. Has done nothing incredible ever.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Asterisks baby!
The only thing I hope for tonight is that the lads enjoy it - whatever the result - they've all looked stressed, been shouting at each other, angry and not looking happy.

If we get through this tonight and the players are happier then I think that'll help the crowd as well

The pressure is off in the Cup. The pressure is off in the league. Just enjoy the last games of the season.
Quote from: tubby on Today at 12:45:53 pm

They both went in high, that's factually correct, both tried to play the ball at height.  Doku with his foot, Mac Allister with his chest.

Offline has gone odd

• a tru-ro...I mean....red!
  • Legacy Fan
Always believe we can win. Wouldn't be the weirdest comeback ever if we did but the lads need to be right on it tonight.

Any sort of victory to restore some pride and confidence would do really.

You would suspect, despite being professional footballers, that a couple of their players might, just might, think this tie is done ..
« Last Edit: April 18, 2024, 01:43:41 pm by has gone odd »
- all in my opinion of course -

Offline Bread

• Legacy Fan
One last comeback of the Klopp era for old times sake? I expect we'll go hell for leather to try and turn this around; at least I hope we do.

I just want to see a bit of effort; if the deficit is too much to overcome then so be it but I expect them to give it a good go.

Offline ...

• Better than "Wall's Viennetta". Fact.
  • Legacy Fan
One last comeback of the Klopp era for old times sake? I expect we'll go hell for leather to try and turn this around; at least I hope we do.

I just want to see a bit of effort; if the deficit is too much to overcome then so be it but I expect them to give it a good go.

Need everyone putting in a shift tonight. Don't leave anything out there.

Offline Samie

• The next Pharaoh of Egypt. The Ev of drafting! Rumoured to be the 7th, we may need that old magic back! The Timekeeper, ask him what time the action starts.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
I exepect nothing from the tie overall, just win this game.  1-0 will do me.  :wave

Offline newterp

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/Cie_nLRV4cQ" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/Cie_nLRV4cQ</a>

Thanks?

Offline Barneylfc∗

• Cross-dressing man-bag wielding golfer. Wannabe Mod. Coprophiliac. Would like to buy an airline seat if he could. Known 'grass'. Wants to go home to He-Man
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan

Napoli, Inter, AC Milan and Lazio all conceded 3 or more goals in at least 1 CL group game. Napoli and Lazio both conceded 3 in one leg of their last 16 defeats. AC Went on to concede 3 in a game to Rennes in the Europa League.
Atalanta have conceded 3 in 4 league games this season.
There's plenty of games with a side conceding 3/4/5 goals.

We shouldn't be going there waving the white flag off the bus. We should be going there giving it everything we've got to progress against the odds.
Craig Burnley V West Ham - WEST HAM WIN - INCORRECT

Offline TomDcs

• Cross dressing, pant shitting, clothes thief
  • Legacy Fan
  • Six times...
Would be great to see a decent performance with us scoring first, and ideally quickly. As others (& Jurgen) have said, see how it goes from there. You never know, and I still think there’s wobbles to be had from City in the league so just getting some belief and moment back would be amazing. Really want to see Klopp’s reign end with us throwing everything at what’s left, even if we come up short, he deserves that.

Offline B0151?

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Remember guys, we were only 1 up at half time Vs Barcelona. Hopefully we can start very well and get a goal early, but then we must not force it too much. We go though by having control of game and outclassing them, not chasing it madly imo.

Online PaleBlueDot

• Anny Roader
Anyone else think they will look to counter early and try and score? I think they'll set up more defensive but will absolutely be trying to get a goal tonight and I bet they think they can get it.

I really, really hope for an early goal for us inside the first 10 minutes. Will do wonders for us.

Offline Jookie

• Ruptures, then repairs the tears
  • Legacy Fan
  • Muted Al 666's posts for my own sanity
Think games like this you need to break it down to achievable goals.

Scoring the 1st goal is absolutely crucial and that should be our initial aim.

Being 1-0 up at 70 minutes would be fine.

I’d snap your hand off for us winning 2-0 on 85 minutes.

Don’t need to score 3 in the 1st half and wipe out the deficit. Make sure we are in the game as we enter that last 20 mins is achievable and a good bridgehead for giving ourselves a platform to put Atalanta under pressure.
I think Jookie might just be the best fisherman on this thread.

Offline Gerard00

• Anny Roader
Does anyone know if big Div has travelled with the squad?

In all seriousness though they were a very competent outfit and a wiley old manager. Going to be tough but not impossible.

Offline amir87

• gay-billeygoat-no-mates with a fetish for water sports. interrogative fingering, and nutella on his plums. possibly with his left phalange.
  • Legacy Fan
The closer it gets to kick off the more confident I am we can do this.

So basically, I’m ready to get hurt all over again.

Offline MNAA

• ...mnaa, doo doo, deh-doodoo.
  • Legacy Fan
If we are going out, I want us to go out in a blaze of glory. Klopp to play 4-2-4 right from the off. Gakpo left, Eliott right, Salah and Jota in the middle. Mac and Dom as midfield 2. Trent, Virgil, Quansah, Robbo back 4.

Go at them and just win …
Neither party wishes to be bent over backwards but...
coitus will occur

Offline skipper757

• Legacy Fan

Italian sides don’t defend the way they used to.  Least of all Atalanta, whose tactics vary from most sides.

We also put 5 past them in Bergamo a few years ago.

If we’re on it, we have a chance.  A lot of our problems are self-inflicted (as good as Atalanta are).
King Kenny.

Online mullyred94

• Legacy Fan
  • Darwin Nunez's lovechild
Jota x3 just like last time we played there  8)

was 5-0 wasnt it when we had them in the group stages?

Offline Andy82lfc

• Legacy Fan
Kept thinking for some reason it was 0-4, maybe because it seemed like such a gut punch at the time, but 0-3, I mean even against teams better than Atalanta that's still achievable.

It's the old cliche of if we nick an early goal etc, but even just 3-1 with ten mins left anything can happen when that pressure starts turning.

I think either way will will know fairly quickly how much the team has shaken off the last results and how much they are up for it. If we click and start pelting them from the off I'd be really optimistic we will get over the line.