Author Topic: Most Overrated Footballers?  (Read 66859 times)

Offline cox3100

• Would love to congratulate Siralex.
  • No new LFC topics
  • Legacy Fan
  • justice for the 96
Re: Most Overrated Footballers?
« Reply #240 on: May 6, 2011, 09:45:47 am »
marek hamsik

never seen him stand out in a game

Offline Hahariz

• Anny Roader
  • It was fun while it lasted. 35 years.
« Reply #241 on: May 6, 2011, 10:43:17 am »
Are u suggesting wilshere is far superior to Lucas or vice versa ?

Wilshere is currently superior to Lucas. And he will be far superior in the next few seasons. Facht.

Offline "21C or 70F?" SchizoidWeatherMan!

• Me, I'm Touchy.....which is why I am so fond of a happy ending ;)
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • blazed
« Reply #242 on: May 6, 2011, 11:01:31 am »
Wilshere is currently superior to Lucas. And he will be far superior in the next few seasons. Facht.

Yep , Wilshere has made the highest number of successful tackles in the PL this season playing as a defensive midfielder.  And you also have a crystal ball so you are right.

Fact my arse Manc. ::)
Phuk yoo

Online CHOPPER

• Bad Tranny with a Chopper. Hello John gotta new Mitre? I'm Jim Davidson in disguise. Undercover Cop (Grammar Division). Does Louis Spence. Well. A giga-c*nt worth of nothing in particular. Hodgson apologist. Astronomical cock. Hug Jacket Distributor
  • Legacy Fan
  • Super Title: Not Arsed
« Reply #243 on: May 6, 2011, 11:02:38 am »
Albert A
@ Veinticinco de Mayo The way you talk to other users on this forum is something you should be ashamed of as someone who is suppose to be representing the site.
Martin Kenneth Wild - Part of a family

Offline BeautifulGame91

• Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #244 on: May 6, 2011, 11:09:33 am »

Firstly Lucas and Wilshere play in totally different position .

Lucas has shone in big games and dominated United CHelsea and City midfield whereas Wilshere in pretty invisible in most games . There is nothing to suggest that Wilshere is better player than Lucas apart from media hype . If based on performances Lucas is far superior to Wilshere this season .

WHat exactly Wilshere great at ?

He isnt a great tackler ; not a great passer ; neither good at scoring goal ; nor at creating chances .

He is currently a good english prospect hyped up by english media as usual . He is just the flavour of month this season with media like Milner was last year . 
« Last Edit: May 6, 2011, 11:13:34 am by BeautifulGame91 »

Offline Jookie

• Ruptures, then repairs the tears
  • Legacy Fan
  • Muted Al 666's posts for my own sanity
« Reply #245 on: May 6, 2011, 11:15:54 am »
Pele.

Didn't prove himself in Premier league and stayed in the relative sanctuary of the Brazilian league for the vast majority of his playing career. When he did decide to move he choose the easy option of playing in the MLS.

I don't really know what the fuss is all about with him to be honest ;)
I think Jookie might just be the best fisherman on this thread.

Offline Roger Federer

• Christ imagine naming yourself after Roger Federer
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #246 on: May 6, 2011, 11:22:36 am »
I think Wilshere is very, very good already, and against Barcelona at the Emirates, he stood out as the best midfielder on the pitch. That was a pretty big game. Obviously he isn't the finished article yet, but he's only 19 years old, and have already played 50 league games plus a few more in Europe and with the full national squad. If he were our own, we'd praise him to the hilt. Atleast I would love to have him, playing alongside Lucas and Gerrard.

Offline TopKopster

• Anny Roader
  • Boring
« Reply #247 on: May 6, 2011, 11:24:13 am »
Firstly Lucas and Wilshere play in totally different position .

Lucas has shone in big games and dominated United CHelsea and City midfield whereas Wilshere in pretty invisible in most games . There is nothing to suggest that Wilshere is better player than Lucas apart from media hype . If based on performances Lucas is far superior to Wilshere this season .

WHat exactly Wilshere great at ?

He isnt a great tackler ; not a great passer ; neither good at scoring goal ; nor at creating chances .

He is currently a good english prospect hyped up by english media as usual . He is just the flavour of month this season with media like Milner was last year .

Lucas hasn't shone in any game.  Lucas's style of play isn't to shine, its to allow others to shine by doing his job well with minimum fuss.  That is why the media haven't cottoned on to the fact that he is class. It doesn't matter if we are playing Chelsea or a non league team, he simply does his job flawlessly.  Long may this continue.

Offline BeautifulGame91

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #248 on: May 6, 2011, 11:30:24 am »
Lucas hasn't shone in any game.  Lucas's style of play isn't to shine, its to allow others to shine by doing his job well with minimum fuss.  That is why the media haven't cottoned on to the fact that he is class. It doesn't matter if we are playing Chelsea or a non league team, he simply does his job flawlessly.  Long may this continue.
Seriously are u suggesting DM cant shine in games. DO u really think scoring goals is the only way to shine . Our midfield absolutely dominated Chelsea home and away United at home and City at home . Lucas was the best midfielder on display in all those games .

Offline BeautifulGame91

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #249 on: May 6, 2011, 11:35:54 am »
I think Wilshere is very, very good already, and against Barcelona at the Emirates, he stood out as the best midfielder on the pitch. That was a pretty big game. Obviously he isn't the finished article yet, but he's only 19 years old, and have already played 50 league games plus a few more in Europe and with the full national squad. If he were our own, we'd praise him to the hilt. Atleast I would love to have him, playing alongside Lucas and Gerrard.

He was poor in the 1st half and was good in the second half but then in the nou camp he was non - existent . He is a good player but has achieved nothing to say he deserves the hype .

I am asking this again why is he such a great midfielder as already hyped by media

So what exactly is he great at ?

Also as for him playing alongside Lucas and Gerrard for us where exactly would he play . He cant play in CM as Lucas and Gerrard are already there and he isnt creative enough to play as AM . Even Wenger trusts Ramsey and Nasri ahead of Whilshere in AM .
« Last Edit: May 6, 2011, 11:41:21 am by BeautifulGame91 »

Offline Roger Federer

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #250 on: May 6, 2011, 11:53:33 am »
He was poor in the 1st half and was good in the second half but then in the nou camp he was non - existent . He is a good player but has achieved nothing to say he deserves the hype .

I am asking this again why is he such a great midfielder as already hyped by media

So what exactly is he great at ?

Also as for him playing alongside Lucas and Gerrard for us where exactly would he play . He cant play in CM as Lucas and Gerrard are already there and he isnt creative enough to play as AM . Even Wenger trusts Ramsey and Nasri ahead of Whilshere in AM .
Of course he hasn't achieved anything yet, but then again not many 19 year olds have. He may very well be overrated by the english media - they go overboard all the time, so that's not anything new though - but it's clear to see his potential anyway. Great awareness, very good vision, calm on the ball, is great at taking the ball forward into space, brings other into the game and he works hard. Not an outstanding player just yet, and he can improve more or less every aspect of his game, but for someone who apparently can't create according to you, he's got 9 assists in 45 games. How many have Gerrard, Spearing, Meireles and Lucas got this season?

I'd play him in a midfield three slightly infront of Lucas, and behind Gerrard. Like he plays at Arsenal (but swap Lucas for Song, and Gerrard for Fabregas). He'd be on the bench if we go for a 4-4-2 and Gerrard is fit, but even now I'd rather have him next to Lucas than both Meireles and Spearing.

Offline King_doggerel

• "What the fuck is a baldrick?"
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #251 on: May 6, 2011, 11:56:47 am »
Wishere is by no means overrated. He is the real deal IMO. He type of play reminds me of Bastien Sweinsteiger (sp?) for Germany last summer.

Him and Lucas are entirely different players.

Offline BeautifulGame91

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #252 on: May 6, 2011, 12:22:07 pm »
Of course he hasn't achieved anything yet, but then again not many 19 year olds have. He may very well be overrated by the english media - they go overboard all the time, so that's not anything new though - but it's clear to see his potential anyway. Great awareness, very good vision, calm on the ball, is great at taking the ball forward into space, brings other into the game and he works hard. Not an outstanding player just yet, and he can improve more or less every aspect of his game, but for someone who apparently can't create according to you, he's got 9 assists in 45 games. How many have Gerrard, Spearing, Meireles and Lucas got this season?

I'd play him in a midfield three slightly infront of Lucas, and behind Gerrard. Like he plays at Arsenal (but swap Lucas for Song, and Gerrard for Fabregas). He'd be on the bench if we go for a 4-4-2 and Gerrard is fit, but even now I'd rather have him next to Lucas than both Meireles and Spearing.

Well thats what the article is about .That settles the argument then

Gerrard is out injured most of the season so comparing them are pointless. Lucas is a DM whose attributes are different i.e. Lucas is one of the best tacklers in PL this season . How does wilshere's stats compare with Lucas there ?

Wilshere ahead of Meireles ?.  Meireles played out wide this season yet scored more goals  than Wilshere's combined goals and assists tally in PL this season.Wilshere has just acored 1 goal and 3 assists in 32 games so far this season. Meireles is a proven international player whereas Wilshere isnt even established in the NT. FFS even Song who plays in DM has more goals and Assists than Wilshere in PL this season .

Its staggering how some of our players are underrated by our own fans . Meireles over Wilshere in AM anyday of the week .

« Last Edit: May 6, 2011, 12:25:44 pm by BeautifulGame91 »

Offline TopKopster

• Anny Roader
  • Boring
« Reply #253 on: May 6, 2011, 12:25:17 pm »
Seriously are u suggesting DM cant shine in games. DO u really think scoring goals is the only way to shine . Our midfield absolutely dominated Chelsea home and away United at home and City at home . Lucas was the best midfielder on display in all those games .

What the hell is a DM?

Offline doc_antonio

• Legacy Fan
  • Always look on the bright side of life
« Reply #254 on: May 6, 2011, 12:30:01 pm »
What the hell is a DM?

defensive midfielder
"When I’ve got nothing better to do, I look down the league table to see how Everton are getting along." - Bill Shankly

Offline Roger Federer

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #255 on: May 6, 2011, 12:34:31 pm »

Well thats what the article is about .That settles the argument then
Fair enough. I missed the words "by the english media" in the name of thread though...

Its staggering how some of our players are underrated by our own fans .
And I find it silly how some never credits or see the potential in other teams players. I haven't said that Meireles or Spearing are poor players, but there are plenty of midfielders I'd have above them. Wilshere being one.

Offline BeautifulGame91

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #256 on: May 6, 2011, 12:43:07 pm »
Fair enough. I missed the words "by the english media" in the name of thread though...
And I find it silly how some never credits or see the potential in other teams players. I haven't said that Meireles or Spearing are poor players, but there are plenty of midfielders I'd have above them. Wilshere being one.

Similarly i never said wilshere isnt a good player but he hasnt achieved anything to deserve the hype he gets from Media so far. Thats why he is overrated IMO .

I was questioning how someone who even doesnt play for his team in AM is better than Meireles who is proven internationally in that position. We better agree to disagree on this one then
« Last Edit: May 6, 2011, 12:46:24 pm by BeautifulGame91 »

Offline doc_antonio

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #257 on: May 6, 2011, 12:43:41 pm »

i wouldnt put wilshire above meireles.. hes proven himself in more than one league, wilshere hasnt overly proven himself in the EPL, spearing i can kinda understand but if he keeps playing the way his form is at the min then spearing will be much better than wilshire
"When I’ve got nothing better to do, I look down the league table to see how Everton are getting along." - Bill Shankly

Offline Roger Federer

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #258 on: May 6, 2011, 12:56:42 pm »
We better agree to disagree then
Yep, I think so too :)

spearing i can kinda understand but if he keeps playing the way his form is at the min then spearing will be much better than wilshire
You think so? Hope you're right, but I just don't see it myself. Spearing has played well this last month, but is 3 years older (but has less experience at the highest level), and doesn't come close to Wilshere's potential in my opinion. I honestly can't think of a single thing he's got, or does better, than Wilshere at the moment.

Offline tea_tree

• oily and antiseptic.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Walk on with hope in your heart
« Reply #259 on: May 6, 2011, 01:16:54 pm »

:lmao
"At Liverpool I have never pulled back, I also went to war together with my fans"

Rafa Benitez

Offline Hahariz

• Anny Roader
« Reply #260 on: May 6, 2011, 02:53:33 pm »
:lmao

What? Lucas was shit during his early days at Liverpool but now is a decent player doing his job as expected of him. Wilshere is phenomenal considering his age and this is his first full season here. God knows how good he's going to be in a few years. Better than Lucas? Bet your laughing fucking ass he will be. I'm not saying Lucas is a bad player. I'm just saying there's no way Wilshere is overrated. 19 and arguably a sure starter for England? He ain't shite bro.

Offline tea_tree

• oily and antiseptic.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Walk on with hope in your heart
« Reply #261 on: May 6, 2011, 03:05:37 pm »
What? Lucas was shit during his early days at Liverpool but now is a decent player doing his job as expected of him. Wilshere is phenomenal considering his age and this is his first full season here. God knows how good he's going to be in a few years. Better than Lucas? Bet your laughing fucking ass he will be. I'm not saying Lucas is a bad player. I'm just saying there's no way Wilshere is overrated. 19 and arguably a sure starter for England? He ain't shite bro.

The fact that you think Lucas was that bad to start with tells me everything I need to know. I'm not saying Wilshire is a bad player but the idea that he is better than Lucas is now or will be a much better player than him is frankly nonsense.
"At Liverpool I have never pulled back, I also went to war together with my fans"

Rafa Benitez

Offline Hahariz

• Anny Roader
« Reply #262 on: May 6, 2011, 03:15:02 pm »
The fact that you think Lucas was that bad to start with tells me everything I need to know. I'm not saying Wilshire is a bad player but the idea that he is better than Lucas is now or will be a much better player than him is frankly nonsense.

Wait, what? The only time i'm saying Lucas is bad was only during his early Liverpool career. If even that u didn't agree with me, then ta.

Offline doc_antonio

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #263 on: May 6, 2011, 03:33:13 pm »
You think so? Hope you're right, but I just don't see it myself. Spearing has played well this last month, but is 3 years older (but has less experience at the highest level), and doesn't come close to Wilshere's potential in my opinion. I honestly can't think of a single thing he's got, or does better, than Wilshere at the moment.

he's always chasing the ball, always gets back and bombs forward.. i agree wilshere is good but when he goes forward and loses the ball then only tracks back half way and either gets tired or lets someone else deal with it... thats one of the main things thats been annoying me about wilshere

Offline williamson84

• "Disgusted of Aberdeen."
  • Anny Roader
« Reply #264 on: May 6, 2011, 03:49:04 pm »
De Rossi, Ribery, Van Der Vaart, Gareth fucking Barry (woeful player), Milner, Dzeko, Defoe, Dawson, Terry, Lampard, Gilardino, Chiellini, Dsudszak (sp?)  :wave  Bale.

Never really rated any of the above and nothing i've seen other than glimpses now and again makes me think they're top top players. 

Never seen Bale really punish any defender who can actually defend.  Only game that sticks out is Inter for him and he is sooooo over-rated at the moment because of this.

Offline Ambrosia

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #265 on: May 6, 2011, 04:26:09 pm »
Wilshire is a more naturally gifted player than Lucas and in all likelihood will eventually turn out to be a better player than Lucas.

i wouldnt put wilshire above meireles.. hes proven himself in more than one league, wilshere hasnt overly proven himself in the EPL, spearing i can kinda understand but if he keeps playing the way his form is at the min then spearing will be much better than wilshire
Good God.

Spearing will never be better than Wilshire. He may run a little more than him, but that's the only thing he may possibly have Wilshire.

Offline BeautifulGame91

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #266 on: May 6, 2011, 04:36:46 pm »
De Rossi, Ribery, Van Der Vaart, Gareth fucking Barry (woeful player), Milner, Dzeko, Defoe, Dawson, Terry, Lampard, Gilardino, Chiellini, Dsudszak (sp?)  :wave  Bale.

Never really rated any of the above and nothing i've seen other than glimpses now and again makes me think they're top top players. 

Never seen Bale really punish any defender who can actually defend.  Only game that sticks out is Inter for him and he is sooooo over-rated at the moment because of this.

who actually rates for him to be overrated ?

Offline BeautifulGame91

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #267 on: May 6, 2011, 04:41:27 pm »

I am asking this again and again why is Wilshere such a great midfielder and having a phenomenal year ?

So what exactly is he great at ? What has he achieved this year ?

Offline MassDriver

• Custom Tit... Shithouse lover... Politically correct and metrosexual cave dweller.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Hasta la victoria siempre
« Reply #268 on: May 6, 2011, 04:42:14 pm »
Wilshire is a more naturally gifted player than Lucas and in all likelihood will eventually turn out to be a better player than Lucas.
Good God.

Spearing will never be better than Wilshire. He may run a little more than him, but that's the only thing he may possibly have Wilshire.

The Oracle hath spoken again. You keep outdoing yourself with every post.

Wilshere is THE most overrated player in this league. You would think he was fucking Fernando Redondo on current ability or something. He has got a lot of developing to do.

Doesn't mean he is shit any any means. I rate him and have said in the past I would love to see him play next to Lucas .Tidy player with good technique ,reading of the game and appreciation of space. A pass n move player very much like Lucas
« Last Edit: May 6, 2011, 04:50:46 pm by MassDriver »
You will never walk alone , Shanklyboy. RIP.

I am the Eye in the Sky, looking at you, I can read your mind. I am the maker of rules, dealing with fools, I can cheat you blind. Looking at you, I can read your mind

Offline tommy LFC

• Despite his sophistication, intelligence, wit, charm and extraordinary good looks, nobody wanted to give him one...
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • VAR is shite.
« Reply #269 on: May 6, 2011, 04:50:28 pm »
Try read this with a straight face:

Bebe!! The man who Alex Ferguson rated so highly that he paid £7 million for him, but of course you never hear about it in the media!!! Wikipedia says he has played 2 games, scoring 0 goals.
Let us never forget Rafael Benitez and what he did for us. A fighter full of guts and passion. A gentleman full of class and dignity. A football manager full of intelligence and pure genius. A Legend.
Adios Rafa, buena suerte.

Some people say I'm a dreamer...

Offline Euskadi

• Legacy Fan
  • Main Stander
« Reply #270 on: May 6, 2011, 05:31:06 pm »
Who are the most overrated footballers?

Personally I think Carrick is the most overrated footballer followed closely by Chiellini.

You must have not watched much Italian football to say that Chiellini is overrated . The guy is absolutely immense , abit violent at times but his reading of the game is incredible.
;D  Mate of mine and me are the same, everyone swears we are brothers when we're out. He calls me slaphead, I call him slaphead, so when I see him I go "slap" and he replies "slap. People be looking and thinking what the f**k are these 2 on  ;D
but he's a blue nose, so he's a c*nt

as per "Slaphead" on the 10th May 2018

Offline Vork+The Knights of Good

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Macklin, you son of a bitch.
« Reply #271 on: May 6, 2011, 06:00:47 pm »
19 goals and 8 assists in 30 games this season.......surely not good enough to be a main striker   ::)

He is a fantastic footballer when fit

He's had a good season, but his record overall is not as impressive. I think he scores something like 1 in every 2.5 appearances for Arsenal. For comparison's sake, Kuyt scores about 1 in every 3.5 since joining LFC. Those ratios are almost identical to their respective ratios for the Dutch and we all know Dirk has rarely played in his preferred position of Striker since coming to Anfield. Yet if you asked almost any neutral observer of football they would most likely scoff at the idea of Dirk being anywhere near Van Persie's class. I certainly don't think he is absolute dross or anything, but I've always felt that Van Persie has just been arbitrarily deemed "world class" without ever having backed it up. I would probably consider him in the top 20-25 strikers in the world, but not any higher than that. He is undoubtedly possessing talent, but I have always found him to be quite wasteful of scoring chances (perhaps that is symptomatic of Arsenal as a whole) and just vastly overrated.
Justice For The 96

Offline Il Nina

• Legacy Fan
  • I just can't get enough...
« Reply #272 on: May 6, 2011, 09:32:08 pm »
Where to begin! lol

Gareth Barry, Milner, Arshavin, Carrick, Anderson, Walcott, Defoe, Fellaini, Lescott, Lampard, Van Der Sar

Torres, David Villa, Kaka- Use to be great.
“Liverpool was made for me and I was made for Liverpool.”

Offline Thiago

• Legacy Fan
  • Knows more than you
« Reply #273 on: May 6, 2011, 09:48:55 pm »
Where to begin! lol

Gareth Barry, Milner, Arshavin, Carrick, Anderson, Walcott, Defoe, Fellaini, Lescott, Lampard, Van Der Sar

Torres, David Villa, Kaka- Use to be great.

Agree with the rest but David Villa?  :o

Offline Tomo!

• Shit post editor! Will be giving his wife one.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #274 on: May 6, 2011, 09:51:06 pm »
Barry gets my vote, Lucas pisses on his head from a great height and cost a fraction of what city paid for the right angled headed fuck wit.
Google messi topless on holiday. Now look at david silva, villa, iniesta, xavi, they have the upper bodies of little boys.

Offline Tomo!

• Shit post editor! Will be giving his wife one.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #275 on: May 6, 2011, 09:52:43 pm »
Also lescott, forehead like a Klingon having a shit and not very good at defending.

Again cost a fortune.
Google messi topless on holiday. Now look at david silva, villa, iniesta, xavi, they have the upper bodies of little boys.

Online Hazell

• Ultimate Movie Night Draft Winner 2017. King - or Queen - of Mystery. Hyzenthlay. The 5th Benitle's sex conch.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #276 on: May 6, 2011, 10:02:49 pm »
Also lescott, forehead like a Klingon having a shit and not very good at defending.

I don't think anyone rates him do they? Apart from Mancini and Capello. I guess they're the ones who matter but you're right, he's not very good. Man City should have loaned him to Sunderland and kept Onouha.
We have to change from doubter to believer. Now.

Offline doc_antonio

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #277 on: May 7, 2011, 12:24:45 am »
Micah Richards... soo much potential, so little maturity...

to be honest I think neymar may be too hyped to, although we can't agree or disagree simply because he hasn't been tested in the major leagues. He is a brilliant player from what I've seen of him, although would need to see how he does in England/Spain/Italy/Germany even France..

Defoe, bojan (when he's shite he's shiiiite), Aaron lennon

Offline Jokerman

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #278 on: May 7, 2011, 03:53:05 am »
Maradona
How come Aquilani wasn't in the squad today?

Solving the drought in East Africa with his fancy flicks.

Offline kopitecrash

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #279 on: May 7, 2011, 08:38:44 am »
Ah, these threads. Usually full of complete twaddle, and this one doesn't disappoint? Rooney? Sneijder?

Okay, Nasri comes first. Was nominated for player of the year, yet completely disappeared in the second half of the season, and Walcott who was injured for a while longer decimates Nasri on goals and assists. So Walcott's the overrated one is he...

Defour - Purely because I had the most ridiculous argument with someone saying that Spearing couldn't lace Defour's boots - when Defour has apparently been injured for the past two years... Sorry Defour, in you go.

Essien - Has lost alot of his power imo- now he seems to be just a pariah of his former self.

Arshavin - He's not the player he was two years ago.

Ferdinand - Purely because his injuries make him too much of a liability to be a truely top defender.

that'll do.

« Last Edit: May 7, 2011, 08:43:08 am by kopitecrash »
You could open a door with him, he's such a knob.