Author Topic: Social Media  (Read 41045 times)

Offline Billy The Kid

• Out of the closet with a whiet shirt on, but would pay a fiver not to be gay...Would prefer to give his manliness to someone rather than receive theirs especially Amir in another life.
  • Legacy Fan
  • I'm Your Huckleberry
Re: Social Media
« Reply #240 on: February 8, 2020, 12:01:27 pm »
I was almost starting to feel sorry for Ms Hopkins over this prank.

The more I walk this earth the more convinced I become that we do indeed get back what we put out. Katie has long been a c*nt. She chose cuntism as a way of life. She has built her entire image around being an absolutely massive c*nt. People of all kinds and creeds have had to endure her cuntish outlook on life and her cuntishly fucked up opinions of them. As far as I'm concerned, if you go putting that level of cuntishness out into the universe then don't be surprised when the universe labels you the c*nt that you are

When overtaken by defeat, as you may be many times, remember than mans faith in his own ability is tested many times before he is crowned with final victory. Defeats are nothing more than challenges to keep trying.” – Napoleon Hill.

Offline Jiminy Cricket

• Batshit fucker and Chief Yuletide Porcine Voyeur
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #241 on: June 17, 2020, 01:10:33 pm »
Joe Scarborough (on Morning Joe) went on quite the tirade against facebook, Zuckerberg and its COO, Sheryl Sandberg. He dripped with vitriol. Well worth a watch.

I think it started about 40 minutes into the first hour, and the repeat of the first hour has just started for anyone interested. I will post a link to it later if I see it available on Youtube.

Edit: For anyone who's interested, I posted the video here:

https://www.redandwhitekop.com/forum/index.php?topic=322375.msg17212214#msg17212214
« Last Edit: June 17, 2020, 02:08:43 pm by Jiminy Cricket »
would rather have a wank wearing a barb wire glove
If you're chasing thrills, try a bit of auto-asphyxiation with a poppers-soaked orange in your gob.

Offline kesey

• Hippy - Scally - Taoist - Rafiki - Dad - Trichotomist. Hill Climber, David Cassidy Fan Club
  • Legacy Fan
  • Truth , Love and Simplicity ♡
« Reply #242 on: June 17, 2020, 02:11:35 pm »
The more I walk this earth the more convinced I become that we do indeed get back what we put out.

As far as I'm concerned, if you go putting that level of cuntishness out into the universe then don't be surprised when the universe labels you the c*nt that you are

Spot on !
He who sees himself in all beings and all beings in himself loses all fear.

- The Upanishads.

The heart knows the way. Run in that direction

- Rumi

You are held . You are loved . You are seen  - Some wise fella .

Offline I've been a good boy

• "There are two ways of spreading light; to be the candle or the mirror that receives it." Loves a good set of open flaps. And a bowl of Coco Poops! No chance of getting a coffee in his house.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #243 on: June 17, 2020, 02:42:28 pm »
Trust Katie Hopkins to find something negative in what Marcus Rashford did yesterday. Her, Tommy Robinson and Nigel Frottage should have their own island in the middle of the ocean with no way to reach civilization.

Offline rafathegaffa83

• Legacy Fan
  • Dutch Class
« Reply #244 on: June 19, 2020, 07:07:10 pm »
Trust Katie Hopkins to find something negative in what Marcus Rashford did yesterday. Her, Tommy Robinson and Nigel Frottage should have their own island in the middle of the ocean with no way to reach civilization.

And now she's been permanently binned off Twitter :wave

Offline AlphaDelta

• Creepy, geeky, recidivist hose-spotter, checking out the size of your engine as we speak......
  • Legacy Fan
  • People's Republic of Liverpool
« Reply #245 on: June 23, 2020, 09:55:31 am »
One of my team who I manage, a lady in her late-50's was constantly posting pictures of her huge garden in rural Aughton with a glass of gin saying "hubby has been ordered to fetch me this", "hubby is doing chores whilst I drink gin on lockdown", "sitting in the garden on a sunny day, life is good" etc, etc

She phoned me last week in tears saying she'd found out "hubby" of 28 years had been cheating on her for the last two years!!  :o

Genuinely felt sorry for her, its a lousy situation to be in, plus a lady probably old enough to be my mum having to tell her younger manager the gory details wasn't good. She said though she'd suspected he'd been carrying on for a long time, which led me to think to myself, "fook me, on Facebook you've been crowing about how good lockdown has been.

"I ask that you believe in this team and believe that together we can achieve great things."

Offline rob1966

• YORKIE bar-munching, hedgehog-squashing (well-)articulated road-hog-litter-bug. Sleeping With The Enemy. Has felt the wind and shed his anger..... did you know I drive a Jag? Cucking funt!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #246 on: June 23, 2020, 11:27:33 am »
One of my team who I manage, a lady in her late-50's was constantly posting pictures of her huge garden in rural Aughton with a glass of gin saying "hubby has been ordered to fetch me this", "hubby is doing chores whilst I drink gin on lockdown", "sitting in the garden on a sunny day, life is good" etc, etc

She phoned me last week in tears saying she'd found out "hubby" of 28 years had been cheating on her for the last two years!!  :o

Genuinely felt sorry for her, its a lousy situation to be in, plus a lady probably old enough to be my mum having to tell her younger manager the gory details wasn't good. She said though she'd suspected he'd been carrying on for a long time, which led me to think to myself, "fook me, on Facebook you've been crowing about how good lockdown has been.

My take was she has been bragging about treating him like a skivvy and he's had enough of the shit and fucked off.
Jurgen, you made us laugh, you made us cry, you made Liverpool a bastion of invincibilty, now leave us on a high - YNWA

Offline Son of Spion

• "No, I said I was WORKING from home! Me ma's reading this, ya bastids!" Supporter of The Unbrarables. Worratit.
  • RAWK Betazoid
  • Legacy Fan
  • BAGs. 28 Years..What Would The Bullens Wall Say?
« Reply #247 on: June 23, 2020, 01:38:32 pm »
My take was she has been bragging about treating him like a skivvy and he's had enough of the shit and fucked off.
That was exactly the same take as mine.

Lots of men get off on being pushed around by a female, but those that don't would not put up with that for too long if they have other options.
The light that burns twice as bright, burns half as long, and you've burned so very, very brightly, Jürgen.

Offline fowlermagic

• Ilittarate
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #248 on: June 23, 2020, 01:55:50 pm »

Lots of men get off on being pushed around by a female, but those that don't would not put up with that for too long if they have other options.

Why does anyone need an option to leave a shite damaging relationship? As long as there is no kids involved get the feck out. 
I have a simple philosophy: Fill what's empty. Empty what's full. Scratch where it itches. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zi5-V75v-6I

Offline Crosby Nick

• He was super funny. Used to do these super hilarious puns
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #249 on: June 23, 2020, 02:42:05 pm »
You, you Aughton know as Alanis Morisette once sang.

Offline soxfan

• inebriated gonad donor (rejected) and Sperm Whale Milker (also rejected). Left-handed, shit-headed, non-fascist recidivist disappointer of women everywhere - on both drier and ranier days......rejects own eyebrows, the vain banana-hammock-wearin' get
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #250 on: June 23, 2020, 02:54:48 pm »
Why does anyone need an option to leave a shite damaging relationship? As long as there is no kids involved get the feck out.
Life is complicated. In some circumstance, yes it seems easy to cut ties. But maybe the spouse makes most of the money and life would be financially more difficult. Maybe one partner has health issues, and depends on the other (nasty one) to drive them to appointments, to get their meds, to assist them at home. 
“Do not intermingle with people who act like 'they know it all'. If you do, you will wind up as lost and lonely as they are.”
― Christine Szymanski

Offline rob1966

• YORKIE bar-munching, hedgehog-squashing (well-)articulated road-hog-litter-bug. Sleeping With The Enemy. Has felt the wind and shed his anger..... did you know I drive a Jag? Cucking funt!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #251 on: June 23, 2020, 03:22:54 pm »

Relationships are complicated and controlling people have what they do honed to perfection. Some people don't have the confidence in themselves to walk away, or don't realise, until they are out of it, how damaging to them personally a relationship was.
Jurgen, you made us laugh, you made us cry, you made Liverpool a bastion of invincibilty, now leave us on a high - YNWA

Offline Son of Spion

• "No, I said I was WORKING from home! Me ma's reading this, ya bastids!" Supporter of The Unbrarables. Worratit.
  • RAWK Betazoid
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #252 on: June 23, 2020, 06:09:05 pm »
As has been said, life is complex.
I used to be in a violent and abusive relationship myself with a controlling female partner. I've also counselled victims of domestic violence and/or abuse. Before they know it, victims become stripped of all confidence and self-esteem then feel horribly trapped. Often, it's not just a case of grabbing your stuff and walking out of the door.

I could write a book on the subject it's that complicated. Ideally, yes, you just get the hell out. But circumstances often have other plans.
The light that burns twice as bright, burns half as long, and you've burned so very, very brightly, Jürgen.

Offline fowlermagic

• Ilittarate
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #253 on: June 27, 2020, 04:29:01 pm »
As has been said, life is complex.
I used to be in a violent and abusive relationship myself with a controlling female partner. I've also counselled victims of domestic violence and/or abuse. Before they know it, victims become stripped of all confidence and self-esteem then feel horribly trapped. Often, it's not just a case of grabbing your stuff and walking out of the door.

I could write a book on the subject it's that complicated. Ideally, yes, you just get the hell out. But circumstances often have other plans.

I understand some relationships are very bloody complicated and for various reasons are difficult to leave behind. Thankfully those abusive relationships are in the minority (hopefully) and thanks for helping where you can. As you said even more bad relationships are centered around someone getting off on the drama as they seem to be never happy in a boring solid partnership and end up in one drama filled relationship after another. I know a couple of those people who seem to be happier when they are arguing/controlling/getting abused somewhat. Its as complicated as you want to make it, people change, circumstances change so ultimately we have to realise life is way too bloody short to be stuck in a rut. If someone needs therapy to get away from that rut then get it but for the love of god do something.
I have a simple philosophy: Fill what's empty. Empty what's full. Scratch where it itches. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zi5-V75v-6I

Offline Jiminy Cricket

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #254 on: June 28, 2020, 04:03:50 pm »
Nick Clegg is to be interviewed on Reliable Sources this hour:

https://ustv247.tv/cnn-live-stream/

I had no idea that Nick Clegg is a 'senior Facebook executive'.
« Last Edit: June 28, 2020, 04:06:46 pm by Jiminy Cricket »
If you're chasing thrills, try a bit of auto-asphyxiation with a poppers-soaked orange in your gob.

Offline Peabee

• SKPB! Is goin' down der Asd.....der Waitrose.....anyone wannany hummus?
  • Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #255 on: June 28, 2020, 05:08:43 pm »

Yeah, seven figure salary too. Oh, and he claimed £100k+ per annum in the form of the public duty allowance that former PMs receive, some of it while working for FB. Even though he was only deputy PM. I believe he has now stopped claiming it.
We aren't walking through the storm now - we are the storm.

Offline Peabee

• SKPB! Is goin' down der Asd.....der Waitrose.....anyone wannany hummus?
  • Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #256 on: June 28, 2020, 05:13:57 pm »

Complicated when tenancies or mortgages involved. I know someone who got back with a long term partner because she basically would have had to accept a lower quality of life, given what she could only afford on her own. She loved him, but it was more out of habit and all she’d known being together since they were teens. Nothing abusive in that relationship, and they seem happy now, but I can see why it’s not so easy to get out even when it’s an abusive or damaging relationship. It adds more complications too. Not everyone has a support network that could give them a place to live etc.
We aren't walking through the storm now - we are the storm.

Offline Jiminy Cricket

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #257 on: June 28, 2020, 07:03:19 pm »
Yeah, seven figure salary too. Oh, and he claimed £100k+ per annum in the form of the public duty allowance that former PMs receive, some of it while working for FB. Even though he was only deputy PM. I believe he has now stopped claiming it.
I thought he was crap. He sounded like a politician - not really what a company should want from their VP of Global Affairs and Communications. ::)

Offline Son of Spion

• RAWK Betazoid
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #258 on: June 28, 2020, 07:05:49 pm »
I understand some relationships are very bloody complicated and for various reasons are difficult to leave behind. Thankfully those abusive relationships are in the minority (hopefully) and thanks for helping where you can. As you said even more bad relationships are centered around someone getting off on the drama as they seem to be never happy in a boring solid partnership and end up in one drama filled relationship after another. I know a couple of those people who seem to be happier when they are arguing/controlling/getting abused somewhat. Its as complicated as you want to make it, people change, circumstances change so ultimately we have to realise life is way too bloody short to be stuck in a rut. If someone needs therapy to get away from that rut then get it but for the love of god do something.
Abusive relationships are more common than most people realise. Statistically speaking, 1 in 4 women and 1 in 6 men will be in an abusive and/or violent relationship in their lifetime. They are incredibly depressing stats.

It's so complex. I urge anyone being abused to get out, but many cannot do so without a lot of support. Others, as you say, chase drama and actually would miss it, as sad as that reads. Also, some would rather be with an abuser than be with no one. There are so many confidence and esteem issues at work there.

I know people who go from one abuser to another. Some feel it's all they are worthy of. I used to have incredibly low self-esteem too, and I attracted abusive women because of it until I sorted my life out and recognised my worth as a human being.

Offline Jiminy Cricket

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #259 on: June 28, 2020, 07:22:36 pm »
Does anyone here know why this thread is on the Boozer board? It seems a bit lost here. Was it not originally on the News and Current Affairs board?

Offline killer-heels

• Hates everyone and everything. Including YOU! Negativity not just for Christmas. Thinks 'irony' means 'metallic'......
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #260 on: June 28, 2020, 09:31:27 pm »

He always was a c*nt. I hated the way he was admired during and just after the EU referendum.

Offline killer-heels

• Hates everyone and everything. Including YOU! Negativity not just for Christmas. Thinks 'irony' means 'metallic'......
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #261 on: July 2, 2020, 07:18:23 pm »
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-53262860

He is one arrogant c*nt. I wish social media could be binned.

Offline Jiminy Cricket

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #262 on: July 5, 2020, 11:51:00 am »
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-53262860

He is one arrogant c*nt. I wish social media could be binned.
I do find him rather loathsome. But I applaud his position - it will only help bring down the company.

The reality is that there is probably greater risk to a huge company like Facebook being overtaken by a rival because it is more prone to falling out of favour/fashion. Unlike tangible product-based companies, or more multi-faceted tech companies, such as Google.

I am making no predictions beyond I expect the rise of other huge tech companies over the next decade or two, changing the playing field. It seems inevitable. I have little idea of what they will offer or be about. But it will probably seem obvious to everyone after the fact.

Offline Zlen

• Suspicious of systems. But getting lots.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #263 on: July 5, 2020, 12:13:27 pm »
Loathsome company. I’ve stopped using any of their products years ago. It was clear to see early on that they are heading in a very dangerous, monopolistic, self-regulated direction and users are nothing but fodder for training their algorithms. Not that bloody Google is any better, but it’s easy enough to work around giving Google too much information.

It would be interesting to see what effect does ditching Facebook have on the bottom line of giants like Unilever. I’d say little to none.

Online Trada

• Fully paid up member of the JC cult. Ex-Tory boy. Corbyn's Chief Hagiographer. Sometimes hasn't got a kloop.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Trada
« Reply #264 on: July 28, 2020, 11:07:26 am »
Its so strange a lot Blueticks, journalists and MPs have left Twitter for 48 hours and are not posting because of all the racism, abuse and anger etc that is on the site.

And the really strange thing is we are 24 hours into this and Twitter is suddenly a better place lots of people are saying they are getting hardly any abuse or trolls attacking them.

So it seems a lot of it must be down to them and their sock puppet accounts they have I hope Twitter are noticing this drop off.
Don't blame me I voted for Jeremy Corbyn!!

Miss you Tracy more and more every day xxx

“I carry them with me: what they would have thought and said and done. Make them a part of who I am. So even though they’re gone from the world they’re never gone from me.

Offline So… Howard Philips

• Penile Toupé Extender. Notoriously work-shy, copper-bottomed pervert.
  • Legacy Fan
  • All I want for Christmas is a half and half scarf
« Reply #265 on: July 28, 2020, 11:17:18 am »
Its so strange a lot Blueticks, journalists and MPs have left Twitter for 48 hours and are not posting because of all the racism, abuse and anger etc that is on the site.

And the really strange thing is we are 24 hours into this and Twitter is suddenly a better place lots of people are saying they are getting hardly any abuse or trolls attacking them.

So it seems a lot of it must be down to them and their sock puppet accounts they have I hope Twitter are noticing this drop off.

It may be better because the targets for the trolls and abuse have removed the target from their backs by getting out of the cess pit that is Twitter?

Offline SamAteTheRedAcid

• Currently facing issues around potty training. All help appreciated.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #266 on: July 28, 2020, 11:19:32 am »

You mean the #NoSafeSpaceForJewHate thing?

So it's great now all the Jewish people and their supporters are gone? OK...
get thee to the library before the c*nts close it down

we are a bunch of twats commenting on a website.

Online Trada

• Fully paid up member of the JC cult. Ex-Tory boy. Corbyn's Chief Hagiographer. Sometimes hasn't got a kloop.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Trada
« Reply #267 on: July 28, 2020, 11:43:27 am »
You mean the #NoSafeSpaceForJewHate thing?

So it's great now all the Jewish people and their supporters are gone? OK...

Why are you trying to put a bad spin on what I said.

And loads of Jewish people are still posting.
Don't blame me I voted for Jeremy Corbyn!!

Miss you Tracy more and more every day xxx

“I carry them with me: what they would have thought and said and done. Make them a part of who I am. So even though they’re gone from the world they’re never gone from me.

Offline Elmo!

• Spolier alret!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #268 on: July 28, 2020, 12:34:24 pm »

You're jumping to big conclusions there based off anecdotal evidence.

Offline Fiasco

• Just add water to foam at the mouth. Can't spell San Francisco. Has promised to eat his own cock. Cannibal Self-Harm in that case.....
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96.
« Reply #269 on: October 2, 2020, 11:50:03 pm »
I didn't want to start a new thread on this so I'll put it here where it probably belongs.

Anyway, Chrissy Teigen, a model and wife of singer John Legend, lost her baby due to pregnancy complications a couple of days ago. It goes without saying that my heart goes out to them both and I hope I never have to understand the pain and loss that they are experiencing in this moment. But this is where my head fell off a little bit, and I want to get an opinion on whether this is me being a heartless twat or not.

After she announced the loss on social media, she did so with a photo of her crying on the hospital bed. Not just a photo, but a black and white, filtered/edited photo. Now two options exist here: 1, she asked for someone to take a photo of her at that moment whilst she was deeply traumatized and coming to terms with what happened or 2, she didn't ask for the photo to be taken but someone did in that moment anyway. I'm not sitting here telling her how to grieve or anything like that, but what exactly is the thought process here?

Are we in a place as a society now whereby everything has to be photographed, edited and plastered on social media, even if what is being documented concerns the death of a baby? Now the counter-arguments are about how she's showing solidarity with mothers who have experienced the same and far be it from me to say that isn't the case. But most of me thinks that posting a photograph of yourself absolutely distraught on the hospital bed having just lost your baby in traumatic circumstances is a bit... weird, unnecessary and seemingly way down the list of priorities in that moment? Or am I completely wrong on this and it should be up to mothers/parents in that moment to decide on however best to grieve and get through a terrible time in their lives?

Offline CraigDS

• Lite. Smelt it and dealt it. Worrawhopper.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #270 on: October 2, 2020, 11:52:41 pm »
Think your last line sums it up.

No one really has the right to tell anyone in that situation what they should or shouldn’t be doing. Everyone acts differently and if that is what she wanted to do in that situation, for whatever her own reasons, then so be it.

Offline Fiasco

• Just add water to foam at the mouth. Can't spell San Francisco. Has promised to eat his own cock. Cannibal Self-Harm in that case.....
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96.
« Reply #271 on: October 2, 2020, 11:58:13 pm »

No one really has the right to tell anyone in that situation what they should or shouldn’t be doing. Everyone acts differently and if that is what she wanted to do in that situation, for whatever her own reasons, then so be it.

Which is fine Craig. I just think it points to something bigger as a society. Before social media existed the opportunity to do such a thing wouldn't exist. I suppose I'm a much more private person and in fairness I don't have a huge media platform/profile, but it seems as though nothing is private anymore and it scares me quite a bit.

Offline bradders1011

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Eat your greens and sing your blues
« Reply #272 on: October 3, 2020, 01:47:39 am »
Have a look at The Social Dilemma on Netflix.

Yes, it's a little preachy at times and be warned: there's Minority Report Pete Campbell from Mad Men (you'll see what I mean). I'm also aware of the irony of an algorithm-based streaming service that monitors every second of activity airing a show about the perils of social media (not sure the participants are).

But: it lays out a lot of simple facts about how social media works, is designed to work and is made to work.

The fact that my newsfeed just shows me Simpsons meme groups and pages quoting 90s sitcoms is a source of comfort to me.
If I were a linesman, I would execute defenders who applauded my offsides.

Offline Son of Spion

• RAWK Betazoid
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #273 on: October 3, 2020, 02:19:56 am »
Which is fine Craig. I just think it points to something bigger as a society. Before social media existed the opportunity to do such a thing wouldn't exist. I suppose I'm a much more private person and in fairness I don't have a huge media platform/profile, but it seems as though nothing is private anymore and it scares me quite a bit.

I have no idea who the people in this story are, but I think I saw the picture you are talking about in the paper yesterday (Friday).

It has to be said, we all react to grief in different ways. There are no rules on how to deal with it, and we have to negotiate our own personal path through it. I remember when my Dad was dying in 2017 my Mum fell asleep whilst holding his hand, sat beside his bed. Their hands and her wedding ring painted a heartbreaking picture, and we took a photograph of their hands together which our Mum cherishes. For us though, this was a deeply private moment, and if it had been posted on any social media we'd have been livid.

Personally, there is no way on this earth that I'd have anyone taking pictures of me distraught in hospital after losing a child. If they did so, and posted it, they wouldn't be a friend any longer. Having said that, I value privacy far more than I value exposure and acknowledgement. I love the fact that if I Google my name I am very hard to find and strangers cannot access intimate details of my life. I've never had a Facebook, Twitter, MySpace, Friends Reunited or similar account and never would either. I honestly find it utterly bizarre how so many people are so happy to let anyone who cares to search their name have a direct line into their lives and a view of virtually all that goes on within it. Again though, I'm much more private than many.

I believe you are right in questioning what all this says about society. We certainly live in a very strange, dysfunctional and detached time. That's odd in itself, because in a time where communication is easier than it's ever been, we are even more detached from our own lived experience. Walk down any street and people are like zombies, glued to their phones. I've sat on a bus and watched young people sat next to each other texting each other rather than actually talking. I sat in Krakow town square one night with a table full of eight women tourists sat behind us and they never even spoke with one and other. All they did for most of the night was text on their phones. When I go to concerts/gigs I see much of the audience watching the show on their phone screens rather than watching the actual live experience. Everywhere I go, there are hordes of people pouting and taking photos of themselves rather than taking in the backdrop and enjoying it.

Thing is, it's all about the self now, not the place, not the experience, just the self. The backdrop serves only as a ''look where I've been'' scenario that can be posted on social media and draw attention. I'm not surprised though, because the world has been going down the self-obsession route for quite some time now. People, in general, are also more insecure now than they ever have been. Advertisers, the fashion industry, the beauty industry and plenty of other culprits have seen to that. How? Well they have to pick at peoples' flaws in order to create insecurity so they can then sell them the 'solution' to the 'problems' they previously didn't know they had. They don't like the population being comfortable in its own skin, because that doesn't sell product. Insecurity sells products dressed up as solutions. In other words, they strip us of our confidence, then tell us we can buy it back if we buy their products.

All of the above breeds an insecure, needy population. A population that needs endless external validation just to feel ok about itself. Everyone wants and needs 'likes' because 'likes' make them feel good for a fleeting moment. It's like a drugs hit. It may feel nice for a short time, but it doesn't fill the void or fix your problems, so you need more and more of it until you are dependent. Modern living is designed to create a void within us all, so that when we are offered the expensive 'solutions' we jump at them. If you want to make money off people, you make them insecure, you make them needy, you make them doubt themselves ... then you sell them back their self-esteem via your products. When we push society down that route, we get what we see all around us now. Insecure, self-obsessed people chasing external approval in any way they can get it. Social media offers them the platform to do just that.

« Last Edit: October 3, 2020, 02:25:54 am by Son of Spion* »

Offline keano7

• Legacy Fan
  • Alonso follows it in!
« Reply #274 on: October 3, 2020, 07:48:26 am »
I have no idea who the people in this story are, but I think I saw the picture you are talking about in the paper yesterday (Friday).

It has to be said, we all react to grief in different ways. There are no rules on how to deal with it, and we have to negotiate our own personal path through it. I remember when my Dad was dying in 2017 my Mum fell asleep whilst holding his hand, sat beside his bed. Their hands and her wedding ring painted a heartbreaking picture, and we took a photograph of their hands together which our Mum cherishes. For us though, this was a deeply private moment, and if it had been posted on any social media we'd have been livid.

Personally, there is no way on this earth that I'd have anyone taking pictures of me distraught in hospital after losing a child. If they did so, and posted it, they wouldn't be a friend any longer. Having said that, I value privacy far more than I value exposure and acknowledgement. I love the fact that if I Google my name I am very hard to find and strangers cannot access intimate details of my life. I've never had a Facebook, Twitter, MySpace, Friends Reunited or similar account and never would either. I honestly find it utterly bizarre how so many people are so happy to let anyone who cares to search their name have a direct line into their lives and a view of virtually all that goes on within it. Again though, I'm much more private than many.

I believe you are right in questioning what all this says about society. We certainly live in a very strange, dysfunctional and detached time. That's odd in itself, because in a time where communication is easier than it's ever been, we are even more detached from our own lived experience. Walk down any street and people are like zombies, glued to their phones. I've sat on a bus and watched young people sat next to each other texting each other rather than actually talking. I sat in Krakow town square one night with a table full of eight women tourists sat behind us and they never even spoke with one and other. All they did for most of the night was text on their phones. When I go to concerts/gigs I see much of the audience watching the show on their phone screens rather than watching the actual live experience. Everywhere I go, there are hordes of people pouting and taking photos of themselves rather than taking in the backdrop and enjoying it.

Thing is, it's all about the self now, not the place, not the experience, just the self. The backdrop serves only as a ''look where I've been'' scenario that can be posted on social media and draw attention. I'm not surprised though, because the world has been going down the self-obsession route for quite some time now. People, in general, are also more insecure now than they ever have been. Advertisers, the fashion industry, the beauty industry and plenty of other culprits have seen to that. How? Well they have to pick at peoples' flaws in order to create insecurity so they can then sell them the 'solution' to the 'problems' they previously didn't know they had. They don't like the population being comfortable in its own skin, because that doesn't sell product. Insecurity sells products dressed up as solutions. In other words, they strip us of our confidence, then tell us we can buy it back if we buy their products.

All of the above breeds an insecure, needy population. A population that needs endless external validation just to feel ok about itself. Everyone wants and needs 'likes' because 'likes' make them feel good for a fleeting moment. It's like a drugs hit. It may feel nice for a short time, but it doesn't fill the void or fix your problems, so you need more and more of it until you are dependent. Modern living is designed to create a void within us all, so that when we are offered the expensive 'solutions' we jump at them. If you want to make money off people, you make them insecure, you make them needy, you make them doubt themselves ... then you sell them back their self-esteem via your products. When we push society down that route, we get what we see all around us now. Insecure, self-obsessed people chasing external approval in any way they can get it. Social media offers them the platform to do just that.

Great post which sums it up perfectly, especially the analogy as being like a drugs hit.
"Can't wait for this one me mates picking me up in a van"

Offline liverbloke

• Prototype RAWK Genius. Founder of stickysheets.com and prefers it solo. Gotta hand it to him, eh?
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • i neither know nor care
« Reply #275 on: October 3, 2020, 10:52:56 am »

So in a world without social media she would have happily (because that is her own reasoning) let her analogue photographs be taken at that awful emotional time and then wait until they were sent off and printed before being returned to her for her to then enclose them in an envelope to send to who exactly?

The same situation one with and one without social media

So regardless of the social media era she would have the same reasoning?

I doubt it personally

Quote from: Lee1-6Liv
Who would have thought liverblokes no draws idea would not be his worst idea of the weekend

Offline damomad

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #276 on: October 3, 2020, 12:14:10 pm »

Brilliant post.

Have a look at The Social Dilemma on Netflix.

I've watched it and can't stop thinking about it. Essential viewing. Nothing really surprised me but hearing it in a glossy documentary package really drove the message home.
You're still the one pool where I'd happily drown

Offline CraigDS

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #277 on: October 3, 2020, 01:26:21 pm »
So in a world without social media she would have happily (because that is her own reasoning) let her analogue photographs be taken at that awful emotional time and then wait until they were sent off and printed before being returned to her for her to then enclose them in an envelope to send to who exactly?

The same situation one with and one without social media

So regardless of the social media era she would have the same reasoning?

I doubt it personally

I don’t know what her reasoning was, so couldn’t comment.

I also don’t care what her reasoning was. If SHE felt that this was something SHE needed to do after SHE lost her baby to help HER then who the fuck am I to judge?

Maybe she felt that her posting that picture at a time of sorrow could give the many others who are suffering from similar, in the prt, currently or in the future,  some support and comfort. And maybe the thought of that helping someone else was some small comfort for herself in that time.

I don’t know. As said I don’t really care. I’ll question those self promoters out there when they do stupid shit, but I won’t do it during a period of grief for them.

Offline liverbloke

• Prototype RAWK Genius. Founder of stickysheets.com and prefers it solo. Gotta hand it to him, eh?
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • i neither know nor care
« Reply #278 on: October 3, 2020, 02:04:29 pm »
I don’t know what her reasoning was, so couldn’t comment.

I also don’t care what her reasoning was. If SHE felt that this was something SHE needed to do after SHE lost her baby to help HER then who the fuck am I to judge?

Maybe she felt that her posting that picture at a time of sorrow could give the many others who are suffering from similar, in the prt, currently or in the future,  some support and comfort. And maybe the thought of that helping someone else was some small comfort for herself in that time.

I don’t know. As said I don’t really care. I’ll question those self promoters out there when they do stupid shit, but I won’t do it during a period of grief for them.

You say you don't care and then go on to give a breakdown of what you think she felt

And I'll tell you who you are to judge - you're a human being (like the rest of us) and if you or I or anyone else wishes to comment on a public post made by ANY person regarding this then the fact that that said person publicly uploaded it for all the world to see and comment on AND JUDGE too (they understand how social media works) then all judgement is valid though some of it will undoubtedly be unfair and hostile

But I'll tell you this though, if my girl had a miscarriage then the first thing going through my mind would NOT to be taking 'selfies' it would be to give her the biggest longest fucking hug in the fucking world and then for the WORLD to leave us alone

Quote from: Lee1-6Liv
Who would have thought liverblokes no draws idea would not be his worst idea of the weekend

Offline CraigDS

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #279 on: October 3, 2020, 02:11:31 pm »
You say you don't care and then go on to give a breakdown of what you think she felt

I mean I used both “maybe” and “I don’t know” at either end of that, so you know...

And I'll tell you who you are to judge - you're a human being (like the rest of us) and if you or I or anyone else wishes to comment on a public post made by ANY person regarding this then the fact that that said person publicly uploaded it for all the world to see and comment on AND JUDGE too (they understand how social media works) then all judgement is valid though some of it will undoubtedly be unfair and hostile

So by this reasoning if a woman posts a picture I can call her fat? Because, well, she posted the pic online, right? That’s fair game?

Nah.

People, I don’t care if they are famous and have 10 million followers or have 1 single follower, should be able to post what they like on THEIR social media at a time of grief without being judged.

Humans or not, we are not in a position to tell someone how to behave during a period of grief (beyond if they do something illegal).

Also, she shared it with her fans, not for the entire world. Those seeing it have chosen to follow her.

But I'll tell you this though, if my girl had a miscarriage then the first thing going through my mind would NOT to be taking 'selfies' it would be to give her the biggest longest fucking hug in the fucking world and then for the WORLD to leave us alone

I’m with you on this. And I’d hazard a guess this picture was not the first thing that went through their minds either.