Author Topic: Star Trek  (Read 87941 times)

Offline Andy @ Allerton!

• Missing an asterisk - no, wait sorry, that's his rusty starfish..... RAWK Apple fanboy. Hedley Lamarr's bestest mate. Has done nothing incredible ever.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Asterisks baby!
Re: Star Trek
« Reply #480 on: September 18, 2016, 10:40:42 am »
Spoiler
Enterprise episode, not TNG
[close]

Spoiler

Ah fair enough, I was led to believe off reviews that that episode had Riker in it and the Holodeck of that Enterprise?

I must have been misled, but I haven't seen it yet

[close]
Quote from: tubby on Today at 12:45:53 pm

They both went in high, that's factually correct, both tried to play the ball at height.  Doku with his foot, Mac Allister with his chest.

Offline Brian Blessed

• Gordon's ALIVE? Practically Bear Grylls. Backwards Bluesman Bastard.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Super Title: Feedback Tourist #4
« Reply #481 on: September 18, 2016, 01:33:07 pm »
Spoiler

Ah fair enough, I was led to believe off reviews that that episode had Riker in it and the Holodeck of that Enterprise?

I must have been misled, but I haven't seen it yet

[close]
no, that's correct. It's just when it occurs that's different.
Anyone else being strangely drawn to Dion Dublin's nipples?

Offline Andy @ Allerton!

• Missing an asterisk - no, wait sorry, that's his rusty starfish..... RAWK Apple fanboy. Hedley Lamarr's bestest mate. Has done nothing incredible ever.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Asterisks baby!
« Reply #482 on: September 19, 2016, 01:04:44 pm »
no, that's correct. It's just when it occurs that's different.

Spoiler

I know, but if you look in that Chronological list that I posted, the last Enterprise Episode is meant to be watched when TNG is in full flow. So I've reached the end of the entire Enterprise series except that one - as it's Chronologically later..

[close]

They both went in high, that's factually correct, both tried to play the ball at height.  Doku with his foot, Mac Allister with his chest.

Offline Brian Blessed

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #483 on: September 19, 2016, 05:38:50 pm »
Spoiler

I know, but if you look in that Chronological list that I posted, the last Enterprise Episode is meant to be watched when TNG is in full flow. So I've reached the end of the entire Enterprise series except that one - as it's Chronologically later..

[close]
Ah, gotcha.

Offline Igor Tripod Biscan

• Got it, got off it, got on with it. Is rice.
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT 96
« Reply #484 on: September 20, 2016, 11:25:45 pm »
I heard an ad for this on Bullseye with Jesse Thorn Podcast

http://www.maximumfun.org/shows/greatest-generation

Its not my kinda thing but TNG fans may like it (I haven't listened - just sayin like)
Liverpool is the pool of life.
Carl Jung, 1961.  Alan Partridge didn't ask for a second season you meff

Offline Ray K

• Loves a shiny helmet. The new IndyKalia.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Truthiness
« Reply #485 on: October 27, 2016, 12:22:07 am »
Bryan Fuller is stepping down as showrunner on Dixcovery. That sucks.

http://variety.com/2016/tv/news/bryan-fuller-showrunner-star-trek-discovery-cbs-1201901398/
"We have to change from doubters to believers"

Twitter: @rjkelly75

Offline John_P

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #486 on: October 29, 2016, 12:40:13 pm »
Finished DS9 the other day and really enjoyed the whole thing. The dominion war arc was fantastic.

Spoiler
bit weird with Sisko joining the prophets and leaving his pregnant wife and son, guessing that's never been resolved?
[close]
"I must go to the hospital because the injury was so serious that maybe he will be there for one week,"

Gamertag: Chosen John

Offline RedSince86

• I blame Chris de Burgh
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #487 on: October 31, 2016, 11:37:40 pm »
Finished DS9 the other day and really enjoyed the whole thing. The dominion war arc was fantastic.

Spoiler
bit weird with Sisko joining the prophets and leaving his pregnant wife and son, guessing that's never been resolved?
[close]
The Dominion story is what for me makes DS9 the best Star Trek series,just a brilliant story line for 3-4 seasons.

Love how it builds into the story gradually in the mid seasons with a few lines of witness accounts of "The Dominion" and then snowballs into the most formidable enemy of the Federation ever.

The Changelings were so cunning and great to watch and Garak is my favourite character in Star Trek. :D
"Since its purchase by the sheikh of Abu Dhabi, Manchester City has managed to cheat its way into the top echelon of European football and create a global, immensely profitable football empire, ignoring rules along the way. The club's newfound glory is rooted in lies."

Offline John_P

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #488 on: October 31, 2016, 11:46:28 pm »
Yeah, just a few people referencing the dominion here and there earlier on before they appear properly.

Garak was a great character, thought he was lots of fun throughout the series.
"I must go to the hospital because the injury was so serious that maybe he will be there for one week,"

Gamertag: Chosen John

Offline Circa1892

• Real Madrid 0 - 1 Liverpool - Parc des Princes, 27th May 1981 Remember?... About as intimidating as Bambi.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #489 on: November 2, 2016, 12:33:39 am »
The Dominion story is what for me makes DS9 the best Star Trek series,just a brilliant story line for 3-4 seasons.

Love how it builds into the story gradually in the mid seasons with a few lines of witness accounts of "The Dominion" and then snowballs into the most formidable enemy of the Federation ever.

What makes DS9 truly great is the fact it challenges the "holier than thou" approach of Starfleet/The Federation. In the past they were 100% the good guys against all odds, this allows them to play dirty - Sisko lying and cheating to bring the romulans in, section 31, attempted genocide etc - it brings a phase of desperation in.

Also the fact that the Act 1 Scene 1 bad guy is the same bad guy of the final quarter of the final episode 7 years later in a completely different, but ultimately the same, context is a sign of great storytelling.

Online Betty Blue

• 37.2 deg @ 2am. Big Fat Scaredy Cat. "Tonight Matthew, I will be Lancelot Du Lac!"
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
« Reply #490 on: June 27, 2017, 04:06:17 pm »
Just realised there's a trailer for Star Trek: Discovery now. No wonder no-one bumped it up. I think this might be the end of Star Trek as a series. Looks an absolute abomination. Such a far cry from TNG. Hell, Voyager looks streets ahead of this garbage.

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/0PhTS1Vyf6I" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/0PhTS1Vyf6I</a>
"Don’t let your heads drop. We’re Liverpool. You’re playing for Liverpool. Don’t forget that. You have to hold your heads high for the supporters. You have to do it for them." - Rafa Benitez, halftime, Istanbul, 2005.

Offline SP

• Thor ain't got shit on this dude! Alpheus. SPoogle. The Equusfluminis Of RAWK. Straight in at the deep end with a tube of Vagisil. Needs to get a half-life. Needs a damned good de-frag.
  • RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Super Title: Southern Pansy
« Reply #491 on: June 27, 2017, 04:15:04 pm »
Just realised there's a trailer for Star Trek: Discovery now. No wonder no-one bumped it up. I think this might be the end of Star Trek as a series. Looks an absolute abomination. Such a far cry from TNG. Hell, Voyager looks streets ahead of this garbage.

The linked trailers brought this up, I am more looking forward to that than this - although Fox are so cancelling it early:

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/Ej24W8gcmXQ" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/Ej24W8gcmXQ</a>

Offline Brian Blessed

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #492 on: June 27, 2017, 04:30:00 pm »
Neither look great. I'll give Discovery a chance, though. The Orville looks horrendous, though.

Offline Ray K

• Loves a shiny helmet. The new IndyKalia.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Truthiness
« Reply #493 on: June 27, 2017, 04:55:00 pm »
I thought Jason Isaacs was the captain in Discovery? How is he not in the trailer?
"We have to change from doubters to believers"

Twitter: @rjkelly75

Offline SP

• Thor ain't got shit on this dude! Alpheus. SPoogle. The Equusfluminis Of RAWK. Straight in at the deep end with a tube of Vagisil. Needs to get a half-life. Needs a damned good de-frag.
  • RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Super Title: Southern Pansy
« Reply #494 on: June 27, 2017, 04:59:05 pm »
I thought Jason Isaacs was the captain in Discovery? How is he not in the trailer?

The trailer had scenes with Michelle Yeoh as captain.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Star_Trek:_Discovery#Cast_and_characters

The bridge scenes were on the Shenzhou, not Discovery.  Isaacs is the captain of the Discovery. I would expect something big and dramatic to happen in the pilot.

Offline CrasherKid79

• Crashedandburnedkid2017
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #495 on: June 27, 2017, 05:17:26 pm »

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/0PhTS1Vyf6I" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/0PhTS1Vyf6I</a>

Bit of an overreaction I think.

I'll definitely give it a few episodes before writing it off.

Online Betty Blue

• 37.2 deg @ 2am. Big Fat Scaredy Cat. "Tonight Matthew, I will be Lancelot Du Lac!"
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
« Reply #496 on: June 27, 2017, 05:22:51 pm »
Bit of an overreaction I think.

I'll definitely give it a few episodes before writing it off.

I held back quite a bit to be honest  :D  There were some lines in that trailer which were laugh out loud funny, but not in a charming way. Pretty much the whole internet is buzzing with the same vibe. But who knows. Trailers never tell the full story. It could turn out to be great and I'd welcome that. But I ain't going to hold my breath. Not a fan of JJ Star Trek either and this feels like much of the same.
"Don’t let your heads drop. We’re Liverpool. You’re playing for Liverpool. Don’t forget that. You have to hold your heads high for the supporters. You have to do it for them." - Rafa Benitez, halftime, Istanbul, 2005.

Offline Andy @ Allerton!

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Asterisks baby!
« Reply #497 on: June 27, 2017, 07:39:25 pm »

Looks great. Can't wait.

Offline Andy @ Allerton!

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Asterisks baby!
« Reply #498 on: June 27, 2017, 07:42:38 pm »
The linked trailers brought this up, I am more looking forward to that than this - although Fox are so cancelling it early:

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/Ej24W8gcmXQ" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/Ej24W8gcmXQ</a>

Looks great as well. A cross between Hyperdrive and Galaxy Quest.