Author Topic: The NHL Thread  (Read 606175 times)

Offline DK

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Re: The NHL Thread
« Reply #400 on: February 6, 2006, 10:51:39 pm »
Fair play to the Rangers.  Bastards ;D

Offline theCanadian

• Potential grass
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #401 on: February 7, 2006, 10:54:58 pm »
NHL Playoff Races--East

1. Carolina (78)  :o :o
2. Ottawa (75)
3. NY Rangers (72)  :D :D
4. Buffalo (71)
5. Philadelphia (71)
6. Tampa Bay (62)
7. New Jersey (62)  :tosser :tosser
8. Toronto (57)
--------------------------
9. Montreal (54)
10. Atlanta (54)
11. Boston (54)
12. NY Islanders (51)  :wanker :wanker
13. Florida (50)

West:

1. Detroit (77)
2. Dallas (75)
3. Vancouver (67)
4. Nashville (72)--Although ahead of Vancouver on points the Preds are not a division leader
5. Calgary (67)
6. Los Angeles (65)
7. Edmonton (65)
8. Colorado (64)
9. Anaheim (60)
10. Minnesota (58)
11. Phoenix (57)
12. San Jose (56)

Only one Canadian team not in a playoff position!

.... And I couldn't have picked a better one! ;D :lmao
Those who dwell, as scientists or laymen, among the beauties and mysteries of the earth are never alone or weary of life. - Rachel Carson

Offline NY-AmericanRed

• Legacy Fan
  • We all dream of a team of Messiers...
« Reply #402 on: February 9, 2006, 04:17:23 am »
Only one Canadian team not in a playoff position!

.... And I couldn't have picked a better one! ;D :lmao

I don't know...you've got to deal with the Blueshirts in a back to back this weekend right before the Olympics.

Rangers stomped Ottawa of all teams 5-1.  Philly beat the Isles 5-2 to keep pace one point back in the Atlantic.  HIGHLY impressed with the Rangers' win; I thought Ottawa would kill them in every game they would play this season but they flat-out mopped the ice with the Sens.  It was also the first time since 2000 that Hasek conceded five goals in a game.
"They're the New York Giants; all run and no fun"--my brother at the Giants-Eagles game, Nov. 20, 2005

ManU fans--your 1999 European Cup is safe and sound in our museum

Mark Messier--The Captain, The Legend, The Messiah...11 forever

Offline nyujvary

• RAWK's finest
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Stay calm, all is well!
« Reply #403 on: February 9, 2006, 05:10:31 pm »
the hits just keep comin for the NHL, this scandal with Tocchet couldn't have come at a worse time...

Offline SteeleRED

• Crazy loudmouthed American who doesn't give a s*** what you think of him
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA!
« Reply #404 on: February 9, 2006, 06:11:33 pm »
Yeah, this one really caught me off-guard.  :o Rick Tocchet has been a player I long admired, especially since his days as a member of the Pittsburgh Penguins' 2nd Stanley Cup team. And to have "The Great One"'s wife involved, too? This is going to be bad... really, really bad. Especially after I read this story. To have the game's greatest player ever involved?  :'( http://sports.espn.go.com/nhl/news/story?id=2324402
Football fan, yes, but fan of many other sports, too.

Offline NY-AmericanRed

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #405 on: February 12, 2006, 03:45:44 am »
On the gambling ring:  Tocchet always struck me as a little bit of a slimebag, but I could never possibly imagine the Great One being involved in this.  The story is absolutely HUGE, has gone mainsteam in North America and is actually overshadowing some of the Olympic coverage.  "Operation Slapshot" actually got front-page coverage in all the New York papers yesterday, with both the NY Post and the NY Daily News with front page headlines of "BETZKY".

As we head into the Olympic break, here are the playoff pictures in both conferences:

1. Carolina (80)
2. Ottawa (79)
3. NY Rangers (78)  :wellin :wellin :wellin
4. Buffalo (76)
5. Philadelphia (75)
6. Tampa Bay (68)
7. New Jersey (66)
8. Montreal (60)
------------------------
9. Toronto (59) (two 4-2 losses to the Blueshirts put them behind the Habs)
10. Atlanta (58)
11. Boston (58)
12. NY Islanders (54)
13. Florida (52)
14. Washington (43) (out of contention)
15. Pittsburgh (39) (out of contention)

West:

1. Detroit (81) (best record in the league at 38-13-5)
2. Dallas (79)
3. Calgary (73)
4. Nashville (74)
5. Colorado (70)
6. Vancouver (69)
7. Los Angeles (67)
8. Edmonton (67)
9. Anaheim (63)
10. Minnesota (62)
11. San Jose (60)
12. Phoenix (57) (In a tailspin due to all the Gretzky-Tocchet stuff)
13. Columbus (48) (out of contention)
14. Chicago (44) (out of contention)
15. St. Louis (39) (out of contention)
"They're the New York Giants; all run and no fun"--my brother at the Giants-Eagles game, Nov. 20, 2005

Offline Scarlet`

• Low profile with wide rims
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT 96!!!
    • Laconius Arts and Design
« Reply #406 on: February 12, 2006, 04:51:07 am »
Why do you care so much that Toronto loses?  It's like cheering for Newcastle losing........except Newcastle actually has a decent keeper
If Ayre got Ł25m out of them he's willing to fuck all the female members of my family on Sunday's.

Offline Chazza

• Anny Roader
« Reply #407 on: February 12, 2006, 03:32:30 pm »

Offline howes hound

• Legacy Fan
  • underdearm
« Reply #408 on: February 12, 2006, 09:11:13 pm »
The story is absolutely HUGE, has gone mainsteam in North America

Saw some commentary on last night's TV claiming the US media has its facts wrong. Apparently, lots of sensationalist distortion going on in this story. I'm not sure who to believe, but over time the truth will out.
"Ders fuck'n arms goin in, ders fuck'n legs goin in, ders de 'ole fuck'n yuman fuck'n body goin in."  - expression of admiration from kopite behind me, Leeds v. L'pool, late '60s.

Offline NY-AmericanRed

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #409 on: February 12, 2006, 10:39:14 pm »
Saw some commentary on last night's TV claiming the US media has its facts wrong. Apparently, lots of sensationalist distortion going on in this story. I'm not sure who to believe, but over time the truth will out.

I'd say Tocchet's definitely busted but yes there is a lot of sensationalism over Wayne Gretzky's participation in the ring.
« Last Edit: February 12, 2006, 10:42:10 pm by NY-AmericanRed »

Offline NY-AmericanRed

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #410 on: February 13, 2006, 03:13:46 am »
If I was playing you wouldn't have Jagr, that's for darned sure...

Hart Trophy for Jagr  :wellin :wellin :wellin :champ :champ :champ

Had to bump this up because "Hart Trophy for Jagr" is not looking so ludicrous right now...

Also Lundy is a frontrunner for the Calder AND possibly the Vezina...if the NYR win their division it would be a crime if they gave Ovechkin or anyone else the Calder over King Henrik.  The Vezina could be another story with guys like Hasek, Fernandez and Kiprusoff in the mix

Offline NY-AmericanRed

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #411 on: March 3, 2006, 06:10:06 am »
NHL scores tonight:

Boston 3, Atlanta 2
NY Islanders 3, New Jersey 2 (SO)
NY Rangers 6, Philly 1
Montreal 1, Florida 0
Ottawa 7, Washington 1
Nashville 3, Vancouver 1
Calgary 3, St. Louis 1
Colorado 1, Columbus 0
Phoenix 6, Dallas 2
LA Kings 3, Minnesota 2

Playoff positions, East:

1. Carolina (84)
2. Ottawa (83)
3. NY Rangers (80)
4. Buffalo (77)
5. Philly (76)
6. New Jersey (69)
7. Tampa Bay (68)
8. Montreal (64)
---------------------------
9. Atlanta (60)
10. Boston (60)
11. Toronto (59)
12. NY Islanders (56)
13. Florida (54)
14. Washington (45)
15. Pittsburgh (39)

West:

1. Detroit (85)
2. Dallas (79)
3. Calgary (75)
4. Nashville (76)
5. Colorado (74)
6. Vancouver (73)
7. Los Angeles (71)
8. Edmonton (68)
9. Anaheim (65)
10. San Jose (64)
11. Minnesota (63)
12. Phoenix (60)
13. Columbus (48)
14. Chicago (46)
15. St. Louis (43)

Offline Tomaldinho

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • camina, camina, con esperanza de tu corazon
« Reply #412 on: March 14, 2006, 11:57:29 pm »
Does anyone own an NHL jersey, to wear casually? What size should I get relative to what size I usually wear?
@TomNJones on Twitter

Offline theCanadian

• Potential grass
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #413 on: March 15, 2006, 01:43:02 am »
Does anyone own an NHL jersey, to wear casually? What size should I get relative to what size I usually wear?

The same I'd say. NHL jerseys are generally loose and baggy. If you're an average size bloke I'd go for Large, if you're a pretty big guy get XL.
Those who dwell, as scientists or laymen, among the beauties and mysteries of the earth are never alone or weary of life. - Rachel Carson

Offline howes hound

• Legacy Fan
  • underdearm
« Reply #414 on: March 15, 2006, 05:37:01 pm »

As Canadian says, same, maybe slightly smaller. I suspect you're not going to be wearing shoulder pads so it'll be generous across the chest, but sleeves on the jerseys are short so that kind of balances it out.
"Ders fuck'n arms goin in, ders fuck'n legs goin in, ders de 'ole fuck'n yuman fuck'n body goin in."  - expression of admiration from kopite behind me, Leeds v. L'pool, late '60s.

Offline theCanadian

• Potential grass
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #415 on: March 29, 2006, 11:57:15 pm »
Thought I'd dig this one up. The playoff picture is starting to take place, and one thing is clear: The Leafs will not be in it. I therefore take this opportunity to speculate on a few changes that will happen in Toronto in the summer.

Pat Quinn will probably be gone after this season and I think McCabe will be gone aswell. The interesting thing to watch will be to see if the Leafs acquire a new goaltender - I think they might go after Cujo. He still really calls Toronto his home and would love to return. Perhaps they'll make a serious run at getting Luongo, which would be brilliant. It's either that kind of scenario I think or that they go with the two young wonderkids they've got (the Finn and the Canadian who starred at the World Juniors.)

Looking forward to seeing how it pans out.

Now all I can do is cheer for every team who plays against Ottawa and hope (without much hope) that they get knocked out. It would be the silver lining to the season.

Offline Sami

• vaguely scandinavian
  • Legacy Fan
  • Kome on pool!!!
« Reply #416 on: March 30, 2006, 12:01:58 am »
Looks might hard for Leafs right now, I'd rather have them in play-offs than Canadiens. Still, Detroit is still going to win this Cup, so no matter which other teams make the play-offs.
4-4-2 Sucks

Offline DK

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #417 on: March 30, 2006, 12:14:30 am »
Not so sure about Detroit. Can't help but think that due to their easyish group, their standing as No 1 in the league is a bit inflated. Quality team all the same though.

Not sure about my Flyers  :-\ Depends on injuries as it always has this season. Can't help but feel that we need to win the division to avoid a potential meeting with the impressive Buffalo in the first round  :-\

Does anyone over here subscribe to NASN? I've noticed they have joined with Setanta and will be showing NHL games on a second channel between 12-3am. Good news as this is when baseball tends to take over the screens :)

Offline NY-AmericanRed

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #418 on: March 30, 2006, 03:28:54 am »
Not so sure about Detroit. Can't help but think that due to their easyish group, their standing as No 1 in the league is a bit inflated. Quality team all the same though.

Not sure about my Flyers  :-\ Depends on injuries as it always has this season. Can't help but feel that we need to win the division to avoid a potential meeting with the impressive Buffalo in the first round  :-\

Does anyone over here subscribe to NASN? I've noticed they have joined with Setanta and will be showing NHL games on a second channel between 12-3am. Good news as this is when baseball tends to take over the screens :)

Agree about Detroit being shaky in the playoffs...they have almost no team toughness, which is a prerequisite for winning the Cup.  Calgary definitely beats Detroit if they square off in a best of 7.

Philly's in deep trouble if they see Buffalo...the Sabres I believe are unbeaten against the Flyers this year and after their last game Philly admitted they couldn't keep up with Buffalo's pace.  The Atlantic Division title is more critical for the Flyers than it is for the Rangers because the Blueshirts match up much better with Buffalo (having split their four games).

After all the action tonight I'll put up the standings...Rangers moved 4 points atop the Atlantic, beating the Isles 5-1 at Nassau Coliseum...Philly has a game in hand.

Offline theCanadian

• Potential grass
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #419 on: March 30, 2006, 03:36:10 am »
I think that Carolina will win the Stanley Cup.

Offline NY-AmericanRed

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #420 on: March 30, 2006, 05:19:59 am »
Standings as of March 29 (Minnesota-Vancouver is the only game still going):

East

1) Ottawa (103)
2) Carolina (100)
3) NY Rangers (94)
4) Buffalo (96)
5) Philly (90)
6) Tampa Bay (81)
7) New Jersey (81)
8  Montreal (81)
9) Atlanta (76)
10) Florida (75)
11) Toronto (74)

West

1) Detroit (105)
2) Dallas (101)
3) Colorado (88)
4) Nashville (92)
5) Calgary (88)
6) Anaheim (86)
7) Vancouver (84)
8  Edmonton (84)
-----------------------------
9) San Jose (82)
10) Los Angeles (81)

Offline rafathegaffa83

• Legacy Fan
  • Dutch Class
« Reply #421 on: March 30, 2006, 05:40:25 am »
As a Detroit fan, I confess that I do not know if we have the mentality (to use a Benitezism) is win it all this year. We seem every year to win the conference with ease, but then burn out once the playoffs start. I think Yzerman's last stand will provide some much needed motivation to pull through.

If there wasn't question marks for Ottawa in goal, I would say they are the most complete team to go all the way, but then again most of the teams this year haven't been very reliable in goal, besides the obvious such as Dallas.

Offline howes hound

• Legacy Fan
  • underdearm
« Reply #422 on: March 30, 2006, 07:07:57 pm »
If Vancouver doesn't make the playoffs you'll see big changes there too. May see them even if they do. There's a general feeling that the Bertuzzi/Naslund combo is on strike 3. Our main hope is that instead of piling it on during the regular season then collapsing in the playoffs, as in recent seasons, we're going to do the opposite. But we've sure made this season into a cliffhanger and the defensive injuries aren't the only story. Also, can't really hang it on goaltending this year. Without the Sedin/Carter line we'd have been long out of the playoff picture.

Offline theCanadian

• Potential grass
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #423 on: March 30, 2006, 09:36:48 pm »
If Vancouver doesn't make the playoffs you'll see big changes there too. May see them even if they do. There's a general feeling that the Bertuzzi/Naslund combo is on strike 3. Our main hope is that instead of piling it on during the regular season then collapsing in the playoffs, as in recent seasons, we're going to do the opposite. But we've sure made this season into a cliffhanger and the defensive injuries aren't the only story. Also, can't really hang it on goaltending this year. Without the Sedin/Carter line we'd have been long out of the playoff picture.

With Vancouver, and even more so Edmonton, get Luongo and you'll become a top 3 team again.

Offline howes hound

• Legacy Fan
  • underdearm
« Reply #424 on: April 1, 2006, 12:25:13 am »
With Vancouver, and even more so Edmonton, get Luongo and you'll become a top 3 team again.

Before Cloutier got injured I would have agreed. But while Auld isn't a star goalie (yet), he's hardly our problem. We've got a one-line team right now. Besides, rumour has it we'd be giving up Jovo if we went for Luongo, and that's tough to swallow considering how much we've missed him in the past couple of months.
What's thinkable now, which wasn't six months ago, is that Naslund and Bertuzzi are disposable. I wouldn't be surprised if you see them part of a major trade this summer.

Offline theCanadian

• Potential grass
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #425 on: April 1, 2006, 12:57:21 am »
Before Cloutier got injured I would have agreed. But while Auld isn't a star goalie (yet), he's hardly our problem. We've got a one-line team right now. Besides, rumour has it we'd be giving up Jovo if we went for Luongo, and that's tough to swallow considering how much we've missed him in the past couple of months.
What's thinkable now, which wasn't six months ago, is that Naslund and Bertuzzi are disposable. I wouldn't be surprised if you see them part of a major trade this summer.

:lickin Come to papa!

Naslund + Sundin + Steen  =   :jong

Offline Sami

• vaguely scandinavian
  • Legacy Fan
  • Kome on pool!!!
« Reply #426 on: April 1, 2006, 01:02:03 pm »
The all time Captain of any professional sports, Steve Yzerman went past Mario Lemieux in career goals last night, well done Sir.
4-4-2 Sucks

Offline theCanadian

• Potential grass
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #427 on: April 1, 2006, 08:39:45 pm »
The all time Captain of any professional sports, Steve Yzerman went past Mario Lemieux in career goals last night, well done Sir.

:wellin

Fuckin' legend, and was a Peterborough Petes player as a Junior (where I'm currently located.) Most people around here think he's the best ever player to play for the Petes.
« Last Edit: April 1, 2006, 08:41:59 pm by theCanadian »

Offline theCanadian

• Potential grass
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #428 on: April 2, 2006, 03:38:12 pm »
Toronto Maple Leafs 7 - 0 Buffalo Sabres

I know we're not going to be in the playoffs this year but the Leafs have a great future. We got 6 really good young defencemen coming up, a handful of really good goalies, and we'll have about 20m of cap room to fill up this summer. McCabe will be gone and John Ferguson will probably go after Jovanovski, and maybe another top defencemen.

Offline DK

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #429 on: April 2, 2006, 10:40:02 pm »
Sabres sucking majorly lately. Good news for Flyers fans :D

Offline NY-AmericanRed

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #430 on: April 3, 2006, 02:20:45 am »
Sabres sucking majorly lately. Good news for Flyers fans :D

Perhaps the season is wearing on Buffalo...Lindy Ruff teams play that energy-consuming forecheck brand of hockey, and I'd have thought they'd have their second wind by now.  Maybe the Sabres are a wounded duck.

Here are some standings after April 2:

East

1. Ottawa (105)
2. Carolina (102)
3. NY Rangers (94)  ;D ;D ;D
4. Buffalo (96)
5. Philly (92)
6. New Jersey (87)  :tosser :tosser :tosser
7. Montreal (85)
8. Tampa Bay (83)
9. Atlanta (78)
10. Florida (77)
11. Toronto (76)  :o :o :boxhead

West

1. Detroit (110) unreal, especially with no enforcer
2. Dallas (102)
3. Calgary (92)
4. Nashville (94)
5. Anaheim (90)
6. Colorado (88)
7. Vancouver (87)
8. Edmonton (86)
9. San Jose (83)
10. Los Angeles (83)

Offline Sami

• vaguely scandinavian
  • Legacy Fan
  • Kome on pool!!!
« Reply #431 on: April 4, 2006, 11:43:19 am »
Detroit needs one more away win this season, to make a new NHL record in away wins in one season. Right now we are tying the record with Devils with 28 wins. 
4-4-2 Sucks

Offline theCanadian

• Potential grass
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #432 on: April 4, 2006, 03:26:46 pm »
In the eastern conference, only one of the playoff goalkeepers will go into the playoffs with any significant (more than 2 games) playoff experience.

(MARTIN BRODEUR)

Offline yenners

• Main Stander
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #433 on: April 4, 2006, 09:30:57 pm »
 Looks like Vancouver could be done this year as well. Sharks have 3 games in hand and are only 2 points behind.

Offline Benitez

• Legacy Fan
  • Nunca caminarás sólo
« Reply #434 on: April 5, 2006, 07:50:30 am »
Last night's NASN offering score below:

:wellin :scarf :scarf

It's official:

NY RANGERS
are
in
the
PLAYOFFS
for the first time in 9 years!!!!!  ;D ;D ;D ;D

They clinched it with a 3-2 so win over the pesky Flyers! First win for a team on home ice this season. 3 point advantage in the division now, Rangers can't let up! Gotta go for that 3rd seed.
"Stay humble. Work harder than the other team every game, and work harder in practice. Take nothing for granted, especially on a day like today. How could you? It’s a gift to be playing in this league, a gift to walk the planet. So you know what, leave it on the ice every single night and let the results take care of themselves"

Offline howes hound

• Legacy Fan
  • underdearm
« Reply #435 on: April 5, 2006, 05:16:35 pm »
Looks like Vancouver could be done this year as well. Sharks have 3 games in hand and are only 2 points behind.

18 months ago I thought we were on the same track and pace as my beloved Reds - rebuilding half done and working towards a viable contending team. It now looks like we've done a Houlier about-turn to square one. Maybe they'll pull it out but even if they do, serious questions have to be asked about this season. I smell a shake-up coming.

Offline NY-AmericanRed

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #436 on: April 5, 2006, 07:07:37 pm »
Last night's NASN offering score below:

:wellin :scarf :scarf

It's official:

NY RANGERS
are
in
the
PLAYOFFS
for the first time in 9 years!!!!!  ;D ;D ;D ;D

They clinched it with a 3-2 so win over the pesky Flyers! First win for a team on home ice this season. 3 point advantage in the division now, Rangers can't let up! Gotta go for that 3rd seed.

Weekes was the #1 star...three awesome point-blank saves in the 3rd and saves on Forsberg and Handzus in the shootout!!! The entire team mobbed Weekes after the shootout and the Garden crowd, who had been on his case all season finally chanted his name several times late on.

It felt like a playoff game last night; lots of intensity, hitting, stellar goalkeeping by Weekes and Esche.

The Atlantic Division is a definite possibility and I'd love to see them pass Buffalo in the standings to get home ice if we see them somewhere down the line...

:wellin :wellin :wellin ;D ;D

Offline Sami

• vaguely scandinavian
  • Legacy Fan
  • Kome on pool!!!
« Reply #437 on: April 5, 2006, 07:39:08 pm »
Both Weekes and Esche were amazing yesterday, and the rest of the match wasn't too bad either.
4-4-2 Sucks

Offline theCanadian

• Potential grass
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #438 on: April 5, 2006, 07:40:44 pm »
Anyone else see Lindy Ruff's post-game rant about Darcy Tucker's hit that injured Hecht for 2 weeks? He said it was a total joke and he wants Tucker fined and suspended. The next day the Sabres found out they'd be without Hecht for 2 weeks, and then that the NHL decided to take no action on Tucker.

One of my favorite players, he's always been a warrior and I love him. Met him in person once too - he's really short, he lives in my neighbourhood in Toronto.

I'm looking forward to cheering for whichever teams plays against the Sens in the playoffs. Just please don't let it be Montreal because that'll be tough.

Offline DK

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #439 on: April 6, 2006, 12:07:47 am »
Anyone else see Lindy Ruff's post-game rant about Darcy Tucker's hit that injured Hecht for 2 weeks? He said it was a total joke and he wants Tucker fined and suspended. The next day the Sabres found out they'd be without Hecht for 2 weeks, and then that the NHL decided to take no action on Tucker.

Thought it was a bit of a shithouse attempt and you gotta feel for Hecht.