Poll

Vote for your two favourites movie line-ups (any two).

Chakan
9 (23.7%)
Hazell
8 (21.1%)
Betty Blue
12 (31.6%)
El Lobo
9 (23.7%)

Total Members Voted: 20

Voting closed: August 5, 2022, 03:56:54 pm

Author Topic: 90s movies draft - VOTING (Group D)  (Read 1660 times)

Offline Betty Blue

• 37.2 deg @ 2am. Big Fat Scaredy Cat. "Tonight Matthew, I will be Lancelot Du Lac!"
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
Re: 90s movies draft - VOTING (Group D)
« Reply #40 on: August 5, 2022, 01:22:26 pm »
Yes that was my point it's one of the strongest family heats in the competition. The way I read it Sheer made is sound like it wasn't. As I said maybe I read that wrong.

Yeah, sorry I meant that I was agreeing with you. Probably should have quoted Sheer's post rather than yours. That's how I read his post too.
"Don’t let your heads drop. We’re Liverpool. You’re playing for Liverpool. Don’t forget that. You have to hold your heads high for the supporters. You have to do it for them." - Rafa Benitez, halftime, Istanbul, 2005.

Offline Betty Blue

• 37.2 deg @ 2am. Big Fat Scaredy Cat. "Tonight Matthew, I will be Lancelot Du Lac!"
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
« Reply #41 on: August 5, 2022, 01:51:27 pm »
Really tough call, but my other vote went to Chakan in the end. Perhaps besides Silence of the Lambs, I think his films really captured each genre perfectly. I also realised I like The Rock marginally more than Con-Air. Arguably Con-Air is the better popcorn flick, but The Rock has more layers to it and is less cartoon-ish with it's main antagonist. This opening scene is incredible and sets the tone for the whole film -

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/y8i8mVxt258" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/y8i8mVxt258</a>

Also, big fan of the Lost Highway pick. My favourite Lynch film is in another decade, but this one's not far off. 
"Don’t let your heads drop. We’re Liverpool. You’re playing for Liverpool. Don’t forget that. You have to hold your heads high for the supporters. You have to do it for them." - Rafa Benitez, halftime, Istanbul, 2005.

Offline red mongoose

• Every day he's funnelling. Twisted firestarter. Just once he'd like to get something right on here. We're waiting too. Everything he does, he does it for us!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Crawl in under the shadow of this red rock
« Reply #42 on: August 5, 2022, 03:06:08 pm »
Some of my favorite people in this group. For me it came down to the fact that I can't vote for "Clerks" or "Fight Club," because I loathe both of them. Apologies to Chaka Khan and Lobo.
At the hole where he went in
Red-Eye called to Wrinkle-Skin.
Hear what little Red-Eye saith:
"Nag, come up and dance with death!'"

Offline Chakan

• Chaka Chaka.....is in love with Aristotle but only for votes. The proud owner of some very private piles and an inflatable harem! Winner of RAWK's Carabao Cup captian contest.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Internet Terrorist lvl VI
« Reply #43 on: August 5, 2022, 03:07:21 pm »
Some of my favorite people in this group. For me it came down to the fact that I can't vote for "Clerks" or "Fight Club," because I loathe both of them. Apologies to Chaka Khan and Lobo.

No worries bud, Clerks isn't everyone's cup of tea. I find most people either love Kevin Smith or hate him.

Offline Sheer Magnetism

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #44 on: August 5, 2022, 03:21:51 pm »
Maybe it's just my taste, I meant Muppet Christmas Carol fared better against Mrs Doubtfire and Drop Dead Fred than it would have against some of the choices in the other heats. That category was going to be animation/documentary until it was widened to include family movies anyway, so you pretty much have to assess the films on their artistic merit/general enjoyability rather than whether they're suitable for kids. At least that's how I see it.

Offline Chakan

• Chaka Chaka.....is in love with Aristotle but only for votes. The proud owner of some very private piles and an inflatable harem! Winner of RAWK's Carabao Cup captian contest.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #45 on: August 5, 2022, 03:23:35 pm »
Maybe it's just my taste, I meant Muppet Christmas Carol fared better against Mrs Doubtfire and Drop Dead Fred than it would have against some of the choices in the other heats. That category was going to be animation/documentary until it was widened to include family movies anyway, so you pretty much have to assess the films on their artistic merit/general enjoyability rather than whether they're suitable for kids. At least that's how I see it.

I dunno i'm 44 and watch Muppet Christmas Carol/Mrs Doubtfire/Aladdin over and over and over again.

Drop Dead Fred not so much.

Offline El Lobo

• Chief Suck Up. Feel his breath on your face. Toxic, pathetic, arse-faced, weaselling slimeball. RAWK Maths Genius 2022.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Pretty, pretty, pretty pretty good
« Reply #46 on: August 5, 2022, 03:28:30 pm »
I feel bad that a bit of a kids classic in Mrs Doubtfire is being compared to an absolute stinker like Drop Dead Fred :D
If he's being asked to head the ball too frequently - which isn't exactly his specialty - it could affect his ear and cause an infection. Especially if the ball hits him on the ear directly.

Offline Betty Blue

• Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
« Reply #47 on: August 5, 2022, 03:38:00 pm »

I mean, it wasn't widened so much as documentary was removed completely. Film is not about artistic merit alone. People enjoy films for different reasons. I love art cinema and some of my favourite films ever are from the French new wave, but I'm also able to enjoy my guilty pleasures irrespective of artistic quality.

Mrs Doubfire is an excellent family movie in this decade. I think it's aged pretty badly, mind. But of that time it was a great family movie. I loved it as a kid and being an adult now perhaps I can nitpick it and see where it's not all that great, but that doesn't change it being a great fun 90s film in this specific category. We're not judging it against Schindler's List after all  :D 

It's all opinions though. Movie drafts are very different to football ones in that way. Sure, there is some consensus on greatest evers, but I think opinions are much much wider in here.

I feel bad that a bit of a kids classic in Mrs Doubtfire is being compared to an absolute stinker like Drop Dead Fred :D

Enjoying the barbs on Drop Dead Fred. It's a pure guilty pleasure. Rik Mayall being Rik Mayall for 90 minutes. Don't tell me you didn't love it as a kid.
« Last Edit: August 5, 2022, 03:39:47 pm by Betty Blue »

Offline Chakan

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #48 on: August 5, 2022, 03:45:48 pm »
Yeah movies are highly subjective and each to their own.

Offline Sheer Magnetism

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #49 on: August 5, 2022, 03:49:10 pm »
What can I say? I don't know how Mrs Doubtfire has aged because I thought it was a stinker the first time I saw it, probably for most of the reasons it's not rated in retrospect. Drop Dead Fred at least has Phoebe Cates in it, but I don't think either are much good.

I mean, one of the heats had The Nightmare Before Christmas, The Lion King, The Wrong Trousers and The Witches. I wouldn't say any of the non-Aladdin films here come near that lot.

Offline Betty Blue

• Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
« Reply #50 on: August 5, 2022, 04:01:45 pm »
What can I say? I don't know how Mrs Doubtfire has aged because I thought it was a stinker the first time I saw it, probably for most of the reasons it's not rated in retrospect. Drop Dead Fred at least has Phoebe Cates in it, but I don't think either are much good.

I mean, one of the heats had The Nightmare Before Christmas, The Lion King, The Wrong Trousers and The Witches. I wouldn't say any of the non-Aladdin films here come near that lot.

Fair play. Like I say, it's all opinions with film. Agreed on the other 4 you mention too. I prefer the Muppets to those, but I know I'm in the minority.

Ahhh Phoebe Cates. There's a 70% chance she might have been the cause of this pick. Also, just for the record, I'm well aware Drop Dead Fred is utter shite. I just picked it for the laughs. I wanted Cool Runnings, which is a film which has real heart along with the silliness.

Offline Hazell

• Ultimate Movie Night Draft Winner 2017. King - or Queen - of Mystery. Hyzenthlay. The 5th Benitle's sex conch.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #51 on: August 5, 2022, 04:07:49 pm »
I quite like Drop Dead Fred. It's not a great film by any stretch and by far the best thing about it is Rik Mayall being Rik Mayall (although I guess some would say Phoebe Cates is the best thing in it) but it does have a bit of a charm about it. Plus that scene in the waiting room where all the imaginary friends see each other is pretty great.
We have to change from doubter to believer. Now.

Offline Samie

• The next Pharaoh of Egypt. The Ev of drafting! Rumoured to be the 7th, we may need that old magic back! The Timekeeper, ask him what time the action starts.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #52 on: August 5, 2022, 04:08:26 pm »
Sanka, yer dead?

Offline Lastrador

• Legacy Fan
  • Not Italian
« Reply #53 on: August 5, 2022, 04:23:46 pm »
Congrats Betts on reaching the final.

A really tight group this was, as evidenced by the even distribution of votes. It was probably the hardest to call for me personally, but I went with Lobo and Hazell in the end, as they had more of my all-time favourites in their list, buts Betts and Chakan were great too.

Well done everyone, the final is coming up shortly.

Offline Chakan

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #54 on: August 5, 2022, 04:27:24 pm »
So are Lobo and I gonna have a run off?

Congrats Betty!

Edit:

Oh wait it's only 1 from each group. I thought it was 2.

Nevermind, ignore me.

Congrats again Betty!
« Last Edit: August 5, 2022, 04:29:12 pm by Chakan »

Offline Hazell

• Ultimate Movie Night Draft Winner 2017. King - or Queen - of Mystery. Hyzenthlay. The 5th Benitle's sex conch.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #55 on: August 5, 2022, 04:34:12 pm »
Well done Betty, tough group this one, everyone had some great picks, hard to disagree with anyone going through.

Plus you like The Muppet Christmas Carol as much as I do, so I can't complain.
We have to change from doubter to believer. Now.