Author Topic: League Cup and Club World Cup.  (Read 180659 times)

Offline Studgotelli

• they have zero understanding of what I’m actually talking about. Got a GCSE in Economics and thinks he knows everything.
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
Oh so this is going ahead then! Don’t mind this at all more trophies the better really

Offline oxenstierna

• Legacy Fan
It's another potential trophy, and it isn't something as 'small' as the Charity Shield in terms of prestige. Annoying having to go to Qatar mid season but there's been years where it's been in Japan. Let's go for it.

I know this sounds a bit Brexit but the Community/Charity Shield at least has som tradition attatched to it. This Club World Cup feels like a modern, globalization, capitalist construct - the Man City of competitions/trophies, I just dont feel any relation to it. Then again, its a trophy and some cash probably and an opportunity to manifest LFC as the best club in the world "officially", so what do I know. Guess the people in charge will go for it, and I trust them with my life. Our squad-players are probably good enough to win it anyways

Online DelTrotter

• Legacy Fan
Call it "losing mentality" or whatever but if it is in december send the reserves and focus on the league. Does anybody remember the winners of this at all?

Even if that's what ya want it's never going to happen. The South American's especially absolutely love all this shit, River Plate won their version of the European Super Cup the other day and took a bus round the stadium in celebration. I reckon Bobby and co would fume if they were left at home. Besides, they only have to play 1 game anyway, the subs can easily take care of the trash we'll play in the semi.

Offline LFC when it suits

• Not got a fucking clue. Life is well, a bit of a long time. And that unconditional support thing can be a bit of a drag. Something better may come along. circumscribed
  • Legacy Fan
2 games max, of which the 1st which will probably be against a team we can easily play a team featuring a bunch of fringe players and kids as long as we keep a decent spine and still win easily.
Obviously it causes a future fixture pile up, but we can treat this like a mid season hot weather training break with a couple of games arranged and it might not be the worst thing.

Play our strongest team. No pissing around. It's our chance to become World Champions.

Offline Caligula?

• Most Negative poster on site, Moan, Moan, Moan, Liverpool are shite... Does he ever stop
  • Legacy Fan
  • SPQR
There were reports that it was going to be every four years from 2021 but it seems they’re carrying on with the annual competition for now.

Thanks. It's another opportunity for a trophy but I hope it doesn't mess with our league campaign. We could do without the travel although I suppose it's better to play it in Qatar than in Japan.

Offline Dave Mc

• Legacy Fan
  • I 'll be back for breakfast
Plus side:

Qatar is a much shorter round trip for the team than travelling to East Asia, South America or Australia.
Might be a chance to give some fringe players match time.

Negatives:

Morally reprehensible country.
A trophy somehow even more pointless than the Super Cup.
Needless distraction right as the season ramps up.

It's an unnecessary trip, and I'd be chuffed if the club said they were boycotting it because of Qatar's numerous human right's violations.
Mark Noble is a shithouse!! - Phil M, 5/3/08

Offline oxenstierna

• Legacy Fan
Plus side:

Qatar is a much shorter round trip for the team than travelling to East Asia, South America or Australia.
Might be a chance to give some fringe players match time.

Negatives:

Morally reprehensible country.
Needless distraction right as the season ramps up.

It's an unnecessary trip, and I'd be chuffed if the club said they were boycotting it because of Qatar's numerous human right's violations.

Would love to see us do this as a template, but it will never happen. The World Cup is a great opportunity for some nations to display some humanitarian soft power, but sadly can't see it happening realistically

Online peachybum

• orangeyface
  • Legacy Fan

It probably hasn't really been properly executed by FIFA mainly due to staging it in stupid places for political/financial reasons but I really don't get this thinking. Why is the idea of a competition that pits the Champions from all the continents across the world such a pointless thing? On paper how is that not a great idea?
I wanna be like Jurgen Klopp

Offline tommy LFC

• Despite his sophistication, intelligence, wit, charm and extraordinary good looks, nobody wanted to give him one...
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • VAR is shite.
Trophies, trophies, trophies. I want all the trophies!

Full strength please and get medals around the necks.
Let us never forget Rafael Benitez and what he did for us. A fighter full of guts and passion. A gentleman full of class and dignity. A football manager full of intelligence and pure genius. A Legend.
Adios Rafa, buena suerte.

Some people say I'm a dreamer...

Offline Suareznumber7

• Gullible. Lost in the modern world, thinks all tweets are true.
  • Legacy Fan
Trophies, trophies, trophies. I want all the trophies!

Full strength please and get medals around the necks.

Winning trophies needs to become a habit.  Regardless of the prestige or how small they are. 

Offline Kashinoda

• More broken biscuits than made of crisps
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • ....mmm
"more trophies you say?..."

:D

Offline tommy LFC

• Despite his sophistication, intelligence, wit, charm and extraordinary good looks, nobody wanted to give him one...
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • VAR is shite.
Winning trophies needs to become a habit.  Regardless of the prestige or how small they are.

Trophies like this, the super cup and the Spanish super cup really Pad out the legend of Guardiola.

Not a dig at him btw.
Let us never forget Rafael Benitez and what he did for us. A fighter full of guts and passion. A gentleman full of class and dignity. A football manager full of intelligence and pure genius. A Legend.
Adios Rafa, buena suerte.

Some people say I'm a dreamer...

Offline jepovic

• Only interested in the "prestigious" games, so won't be celebrating anything less.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Meh sd f
This is such bullshit. I was hoping that we would be better than this. The last thing football needs is another half-assed tournament which nobody takes seriously. For what purpose, a few more quid?
That it's played in a country without fans just makes it even more pathetic.

You want to win more pointless trophies? Why not sign all the players up for sunday league as well.

Offline Too early for flapjacks?

• It is? Hmm. How about a Groundhog steak? No? Damn. Thinks James Milner has the perfect body.
  • Legacy Fan
I know a lot of fans think this is a waste of time, but I was gutted when we lost the final in 2005. Hope we win it and are crowned world champions!

Offline Kashinoda

• More broken biscuits than made of crisps
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • ....mmm
You want to win more pointless trophies? Why not sign all the players up for sunday league as well.

go on...

:D

Offline Mister Flip Flop

• More flop than flip.
  • Legacy Fan
Feel uneasy about this truth be told. Pull back the curtains and you'll see the horrific conditions poor migrant workers have had to put up with for the world cup to be held in Qatar. Rather the club had nothing to do with this backward shithole of a country.
Soccer - let's face it, its not really about a game of ball anymore is it?

Offline Kekule

• Not fussy.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
It’s only a couple of games maximum for us isn’t it? A semi final against the Asian, Australisian, African or North American champions which I can’t see that being a massively intense game.  And then a potential final against a South American side?  It’ll mean postponing a couple of league games, but that needn’t be the end of the world.

Give it a lash.  It might not actually mean a huge amount, but if we did manage to get the tag “World Champions”  it would be a laugh sitting back and seeing the reactions from the fans of certain other clubs.

Offline Dave Mc

• Legacy Fan
Would love to see us do this as a template, but it will never happen. The World Cup is a great opportunity for some nations to display some humanitarian soft power, but sadly can't see it happening realistically

It really is a shame. I don't hold the staff or players accountable; they're doing their jobs. But FSG could be the business to make a statement - a real statement, not some daft virtue-signalling ad on youtube - about their intentions, and unwillingness to play ball with those that treat humans with contempt.

Why is the idea of a competition that pits the Champions from all the continents across the world such a pointless thing? On paper how is that not a great idea?

Not to be dismissive, but it's akin to having a boxing tournament where the Welterweight, Featherweight, Lightweight and Heavyweight World Champions have to face off, all while the latter has upcoming fights against other dangerous heavyweights. No one doubts who the strongest is, only whether he'll bother to take the tournament seriously or focus on his actual fights against his real opponents in his own weight class.

Online Barneylfc∗

• Cross-dressing man-bag wielding golfer. Wannabe Mod. Coprophiliac. Would like to buy an airline seat if he could. Known 'grass'. Wants to go home to He-Man
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Have no clue to be honest, just assuming the european team usually wins this. Would obviously remember it if we won and I might moderate my opinion when the fixture list is published as every trophy is welcome. I just want the league so bad and every point is vital

Is there something in the rules of this that says we have to drop points in the league if we play it?
People wanted to jib off the European Cup last season because it would cost us the league. We finished on 97 points and win the fucking Cup. I'd have thought people would take heed of that but clearly we're going to face another season of the same fucking shite being posted and wankers celebrating us going out of cups  ::)
Craig Burnley V West Ham - WEST HAM WIN - INCORRECT

Online peachybum

• orangeyface
  • Legacy Fan
Not to be dismissive, but it's akin to having a boxing tournament where the Welterweight, Featherweight, Lightweight and Heavyweight World Champions have to face off, all while the latter has upcoming fights against other dangerous heavyweights. No one doubts who the strongest is, only whether he'll bother to take the tournament seriously or focus on his actual fights against his real opponents in his own weight class.

You could say the same about the World Cup. Or the PL for that matter. Liverpool and Hudderfield competing in the same comp is hardly a fair fight. How many teams in England are in our weight class. 6? I guess if you only want 'heavyweights' playing each other because other games are pointless you're right behind the Juventus blokes idea of a European Super League.
I wanna be like Jurgen Klopp

Offline dudleyred

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
This is such bullshit. I was hoping that we would be better than this. The last thing football needs is another half-assed tournament which nobody takes seriously. For what purpose, a few more quid?
That it's played in a country without fans just makes it even more pathetic.

Nothing to do with money this one

This comes with winning the big one

This is the hardest comp to qualify for. We will play in it and therefore let’s go and win it

Offline jepovic

• Only interested in the "prestigious" games, so won't be celebrating anything less.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Meh sd f
You could say the same about the World Cup. Or the PL for that matter. Liverpool and Hudderfield competing in the same comp is hardly a fair fight. How many teams in England are in our weight class. 6? I guess if you only want 'heavyweights' playing each other because other games are pointless you're right behind the Juventus blokes idea of a European Super League.
A European super league would at least make some sense ( I still hate it for other reasons). In this case we would meet one team at sunday league level and one at Huddersfield level. We wouldn't risk our best players, and we would try even less than in a preseason game. It's utterly pointless.

Offline oxenstierna

• Legacy Fan
Is there something in the rules of this that says we have to drop points in the league if we play it?
People wanted to jib off the European Cup last season because it would cost us the league. We finished on 97 points and win the fucking Cup. I'd have thought people would take heed of that but clearly we're going to face another season of the same fucking shite being posted and wankers celebrating us going out of cups  ::)

I would never advocate deliberately jibbing off the CL under any circumstanses, this is a different competition our fans allready have an ambivalent relation to. Imagine this being stuck between Man City away and the Merseyside-derby with only a few days rest between and potential injuries to key players, would you prioritize it? This is all hypotetical variables we as fans have no influence on anyways, I'm just expressing my opinion on the competition as others, doesn't mean we're wankers. Klopp has also "jibbed off" more prestigious competitions than this earlier.
« Last Edit: June 3, 2019, 05:08:16 pm by oxenstierna »

Offline Butter Keks

• Legacy Fan
Embrace the competition and go and fucking win it. It's not a big or important trophy but it's a trophy we have never won and it's time we started being greedy bastards.

Online Barneylfc∗

• Cross-dressing man-bag wielding golfer. Wannabe Mod. Coprophiliac. Would like to buy an airline seat if he could. Known 'grass'. Wants to go home to He-Man
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
I would never advocate deliberately jibbing off the CL under any circumstanses, this is a different competition our fans allready have an ambivalent relation to. Imagine this being stuck between Man City away and the Merseyside-derby with only a few days rest between and potential injuries to key players, would you prioritize it? This is all hypotetical variables we as fans have no influence on anyways, I'm just expressing my opinion on the competition as others, doesn't mean we're wankers. Klopp has also "jibbed off" more prestigious competitions than this earlier.

People celebrated us going out of cups. They are the wankers.

To answer your question, no, I wouldn't prioritise it. But I still want us to go there and win it and call ourselves the best club side in the world when we do.
Craig Burnley V West Ham - WEST HAM WIN - INCORRECT

Offline gazzam1963

• RAWK Cruiser. Andy@Allertons twin brother. Really misses a good fist pump.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Got in early with this one as prices will shoot up , Manchester - Kuwait City on the Monday then hired a Toyota hi-lux to go down to Bahrain then sorted a dhow from Manama into Doha . Hopefully I’ll get a ticket in the ballot

Offline Yorkykopite

• Misses Danny Boy with a passion. Phil's Official Biographer, dontcherknow...it's all true. Honestly.
  • RAWK Writer
  • Legacy Fan
  • The first five yards........
Send out the Youth Team. A good experience for them. They might even win it. Meanwhile keep the real term focussed on what counts.
"If you want the world to love you don't discuss Middle Eastern politics" Saul Bellow.

Offline jboy14

• Kopite
Crap place to stage this tournament but we’ve never won it and if we do it will feel good to say we’re world champions ;D
Of all the unimportant things in life, football is the most important.

Offline Lee1-6Liv

• Daddy Discord
  • Legacy Fan

Got in early with this one as prices will shoot up , Manchester - Kuwait City on the Monday then hired a Toyota hi-lux to go down to Bahrain then sorted a dhow from Manama into Doha . Hopefully I’ll get a ticket in the ballot

:lmao :lmao

• Not got a fucking clue. Life is well, a bit of a long time. And that unconditional support thing can be a bit of a drag. Something better may come along. circumscribed
  • Legacy Fan

Only competitions he has jibbed off are the league cup and FA Cup. This is probably prestigious than both especially ever since the Mancs voluntarily pulled out of the FA cup to play in it. You are playing the continental champions of every other continent on the planet. The winner can rightfully claim to be the best in the world.

Offline Dave Mc

• Legacy Fan
Only competitions he has jibbed off are the league cup and FA Cup. This is probably prestigious than both especially ever since the Mancs voluntarily pulled out of the FA cup to play in it.

If you could guarantee me the League Cup or the World Club Cup right now, I'd take the League Cup.

Offline gazzam1963

• RAWK Cruiser. Andy@Allertons twin brother. Really misses a good fist pump.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
If you could guarantee me the League Cup or the World Club Cup right now, I'd take the League Cup.

It’s all about opinions i Suppose but it’s one I’ve always wanted to win . Remember getting up early to listen on the radio when we played flamenco and got beat 3-0 and I know Rafa wanted to win it in 05 . Done the Bernabéu tour yesterday and they seem to make quite a big thing of it . Maybe it’s a Latin thing and you may find our South American players are up for it and klopps happy to have it on his CV but it certainly splits opinion I’m personally up for it

• Legacy Fan
It’s all about opinions i Suppose but it’s one I’ve always wanted to win . Remember getting up early to listen on the radio when we played flamenco and got beat 3-0 and I know Rafa wanted to win it in 05 . Done the Bernabéu tour yesterday and they seem to make quite a big thing of it . Maybe it’s a Latin thing and you may find our South American players are up for it and klopps happy to have it on his CV but it certainly splits opinion I’m personally up for it

Think everyone without a Brexit mentality takes it seriously.

Offline Number 7

• Gegenpresser
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • And the sweet silver song of a lark..
Back to Istanbul!! Although Vodafone Park this time. I've forgotten what it feels like to play in this.

The match will be 4 days after we kick off the new PL campaign. Hopefully another trophy!

https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/48487926

“Liverpool will play Chelsea in the first all-English Uefa Super Cup on 14 August in Istanbul.

The Reds qualified by beating Tottenham 2-0 in the Champions League final, with the Blues booking their place with a 4-1 win over Arsenal in the Europa League on Wednesday.

Liverpool are the last English side to win the Super Cup, back in 2005.

Four of the past five have been all-Spanish affairs - with Atletico beating Real Madrid in Tallinn in 2018.”
« Last Edit: June 4, 2019, 08:17:44 pm by Number 7 »
YWNA

Offline AllyouneedisRush

• One leg, musical nostrils, itchy crotch. Is actually Louis Walsh.
  • Legacy Fan
Anyone know the dates ?  I've read loads of conflicting info.
Justice 97 - YNWA

Offline NaivetyinBlack

• Suffers from performative anxiety.
  • Legacy Fan
Embrace the competition and go and fucking win it. It's not a big or important trophy but it's a trophy we have never won and it's time we started being greedy bastards.

Absolutely. Win 'em all. Everything. So greedy, in the best way possible. Need silver.

Plus, its only just 2 games, the first of them would probably be one of the easiest games of the season. Imagine the final against Boca or River. I was gutted when we lost in 2005. World Champions, lads.

Offline indianscouser

• Kopite
Any news on tickets for this one? The UEFA website shows nothin.

Online Raid

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan

Yep, Real and Barca have genuinely targeted it when they’ve been in it and the South American’s love it.

Come on lads, this is a chance to be called World Champions. Let’s go for it

Offline Ocean Red

• RAWK Supporter
  • Kopite
  • What doesn't kill you, makes you...stranger!!!
Redemption for 2005, that Sao Paulo defeat always bugged me. Totally dominated and had 3 goals disallowed. Sinama Pongolles goal in the dying minutes should of stood. Well onside.

Offline NaivetyinBlack

• Suffers from performative anxiety.
  • Legacy Fan
Look how FIFA TV advertised it. : Reds hit by Brazilian quickness

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qc-js6EJRoI

No highlights of the controversial offsides. Plus we missed so many chances. Stevie looked gutted at the end. Need to set the record straight.