Author Topic: Roy Hodgson tells Glen Johnson to get his act together  (Read 129870 times)

Offline Mad Men

• Been there. Done that.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • You never saw me. I was never here.
Re: Roy Hodgson tells Glen Johnson to get his act together
« Reply #80 on: November 12, 2010, 11:43:39 pm »
Not a hope is he on £120,000 a week. Post is flawed.

Tony Barrett seems to think so.

This is what we do. And we do it very well. Link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5bM8gOyjeuc

Offline RJH

• doesn't know his alphabet
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #81 on: November 12, 2010, 11:44:02 pm »
The thing is though, he hasn't been fit for most of the games when the team's actually played well.

Yes, when he was playing, he didn't perform very often. But in the games he played, that was true of pretty much the whole team.

I find it a bit odd to single him out for criticism, especially when he's only played 1 game out of the last 7.
« Last Edit: November 12, 2010, 11:46:26 pm by RJH »

Offline TSC

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #82 on: November 12, 2010, 11:44:43 pm »
You're not really claiming that the two interviews are equivalent, are ya?

Both are critical. 

Offline Cassiel

• Legacy Fan
  • Lord, I can't go back there...
« Reply #83 on: November 12, 2010, 11:45:20 pm »
Here was me thinking Johnson had been injured for the past few games and played no part. Must have dreamt that.
Looks like I chose the wrong day to feed the pigeons...

Offline TSC

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #84 on: November 12, 2010, 11:45:50 pm »
Thought the criticism by Rafa of the senior players after that AV defeat had them livid...or so the story goes.

It may or may not have done.  I was responding to a post which suggested Roy is the first LFC manager to criticise his players in public, which is ridiculous.

Offline Ambrosia

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #85 on: November 12, 2010, 11:46:16 pm »
Both are critical.
One which is buttered up and said in eloquent manner, the other is the equivalent of a bull in a china shop.

Offline jDJ

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #86 on: November 12, 2010, 11:48:20 pm »
Thought the criticism by Rafa of the senior players after that AV defeat had them livid...or so the story goes.

Apparently so.  There were countless articles by the usual suspects about how Benitez was in no position to criticise senior players too.  Here's one http://www.mirrorfootball.co.uk/opinion/columnists/steve-stammers/After-criticising-Gerrard-and-Carragher-Rafa-Benitez-needs-to-learn-what-goes-on-in-the-dressing-room-stays-in-the-dressing-room-article132001.html

Expect the same treatment for Hodgson tomorrow - or maybe not.

Offline GrkStav

• Has a statuette of Lucas on the bonnet of his car which he polishes lovingly with Lucas Brasso. Glen Johnson's biggest fan. Doesn't have a "fucken clue" where L4 is
  • Legacy Fan
  • Not very good at 'banter'.
« Reply #87 on: November 12, 2010, 11:48:29 pm »
I can see Hodgson dropping Johnson entirely and trying to sell him, instead of taking the difficult choices like dropping Carragher or playing attacking fullbacks.

Did RH NOT know that Johnson is not exactly an old-fashioned LB? Just how fecking ignorant is he, then?

RH will not drop Carragher UNLESS his job depends on it. If that happens, he'll conveniently come up with some long-winded circumlocution to explain "his" decision.
Ludi Circenses!

Offline Promised to never post on RAWK again

• Might be Estonian_Red, but I wouldn't trust a word he says. In fact don't trust anything anyone says... EVER.
  • No new LFC topics
  • Legacy Fan
  • Where Amazing Happens
« Reply #88 on: November 12, 2010, 11:49:11 pm »
Tottenham Hotspur would be one possible destination for Johnson were a parting of the ways to become inevitable. The full back enjoyed the best form of his career working under Harry Redknapp, the Spurs manager, while the pair were at Portsmouth. Juventus are also believed to be interested but it is doubtful that the player will be sold during the January transfer window, a move next summer being the more likely option.

The good news is, Hodgson is no longer in charge of transfers at LFC ... However, he might do some additional damage by giving Johnson the ''Agger'' treatment ... I am wondering how much damage will he do, before he is sacked ?
The internet is a bad place - People like Mac Red are on it.

Offline Pepe Reina Is Rafas Son

• This must be Pepe's Mother, who else would know?
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #89 on: November 12, 2010, 11:49:40 pm »
Roy Hodgson tells Glen Johnson to get his act together

Good Man Roy, one to talk about getting act together
Stabbed your boss in the back, the man who made you fucking European Champions, and got in the man you wanted as manager. Just because Rafa wouldn't fucking cuddle you enough and fucking wank you off while telling you how fucking great you are.

Offline Gnurglan

• The Swedish Savaloy
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #90 on: November 12, 2010, 11:49:57 pm »

“The big thing is whether he will be fit enough to play any part in the game, that’s more relevant than whether he will get his place back,” Hodgson said. “He’s the England right back and if he plays like that, one would expect him to come back in. But then he’d have to play like the England right back and up to now, to be quite frank, he’s not performed — very often, at least — to the level I’d expect of him.

“You would have to ask him the question, ‘Do you think you’re playing at top form and are you playing like the best right back in the country for your club?’ If he says yes, obviously we will have to agree to differ and if he says no then you’d have to ask the question, ‘Why not?’ ”

And the hits just keep on coming from Roy...
Why not just say he's off?

Could have said that he's been impressed with Kelly lately, that Johnson would have to show why he's been selected for England if he wants to gain his place in the team back. But no, he has a go at Johnson, which will bring down his value if Roy indeed wants to sell and it will of course feed the rumours that there were players who were not impressed with Hodgson, with Johnson being one of them.

Can someone please tape Roy's mouth and let someone else talk to the press?

"The key isn't the system itself, but how the players adapt on the pitch. It doesn't matter if it's 4-3-3 or 4-4-2, it's the role of the players that counts." Rafa Benitez

Offline Stussy

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • ...we had dreams and songs to sing...
« Reply #91 on: November 12, 2010, 11:50:33 pm »
Roy has got it right for once.

He's right about Johnson's dissapointing performances, whether he is right by doing it so publically, only time will tell.
"My idea was to build Liverpool into a bastion of invincibility. Napoleon had that idea. He wanted to conquer the bloody world. I wanted Liverpool to be untouchable. My idea was to build Liverpool up and up until eventually everyone would have to submit and give in."

Offline Scarlet`

• Low profile with wide rims
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT 96!!!
    • Laconius Arts and Design
« Reply #92 on: November 12, 2010, 11:50:37 pm »
Hodgson should get his act together
If Ayre got £25m out of them he's willing to fuck all the female members of my family on Sunday's.

Offline GrkStav

• Has a statuette of Lucas on the bonnet of his car which he polishes lovingly with Lucas Brasso. Glen Johnson's biggest fan. Doesn't have a "fucken clue" where L4 is
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #93 on: November 12, 2010, 11:50:47 pm »
Both are critical.

Oh, I see. You really ignored the connotations and stuck, scientifically, to the denotative content of my the words in my post.

Ok, I'll keep that in mind in the future.
Ludi Circenses!

Offline Spanish Al

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #94 on: November 12, 2010, 11:51:29 pm »
Hodgson you prick. Why the fuck would you come out and criticise in the media one of your OWN players!? See, I know Rafa has gone etc and we need to get over it etc but you would never in a month of sundays see him come out and say things like these. He backed his players all the time (Crouch the best example)

Losing respect for Hodgson every time he opens his mouth.
Rafa Benitez: "I’ll always keep in my heart the good times I’ve had here, the strong and loyal support of the fans in the tough times and the love from Liverpool. I have no words to thank you enough for all these years and I am very proud to say that I was your manager."

Offline rednile

• Last one out
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • 18 LT , 5 EC, 7 FAC, 8 LC, 3 UEFA,
« Reply #95 on: November 12, 2010, 11:51:44 pm »
It might get the best out of him you never know .
Spent sometimes in stormy weather                               

Offline Fordy

• Κασσάνδρα. ITK (rubs bridge of nose knowingly)
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #96 on: November 12, 2010, 11:51:45 pm »
The good news is, Hodgson is no longer in charge of transfers at LFC ... However, he might do some additional damage by giving Johnson the ''Agger'' treatment ... I am wondering how much damage will he do, before he is sacked ?

A lot but as I keep up saying its up to the owners now to prove their salt.

Offline kevindublin

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #97 on: November 12, 2010, 11:53:54 pm »
NESV should release a statement saying they are not pleased with Hodgson's performance this season, and they'll seek to offload him to Hull or somewere, if his perormance doesnt improve.
tit

Offline TSC

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #98 on: November 12, 2010, 11:54:45 pm »
One which is buttered up and said in eloquent manner, the other is the equivalent of a bull in a china shop.

But still, both are critical, insofar both are public.  To harangue Roy over this as if it's something new and out of the ordinary for LFC is hypocritical.  The two examples I quickly found of Houllier and Rafa criticising players via the media could prob be backed up with examples of Dalglish, Paisley and Shanks doing likewise.

I simply see it as yet another excuse to hammer the manager.  Plus I agree with his sentiments.  Johnson has been poor this season.  Maybe this will give him the kick he needs.  Maybe it won't.  But maybe a manager has to try.  Maybe he's tried the old 'arm around the shoulder'?

Who knows?  We certainly don't.

Offline jDJ

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #99 on: November 12, 2010, 11:56:15 pm »
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/teams/liverpool/6263287/Rafa-Benitez-must-keep-Steven-Gerrard-and-Jamie-Carragher-on-his-side-at-Liverpool.html

Here's Winter's take on Benitez's astonishing attack on the Liverpool heartbeat.

Breathtaking article actually containing lines such as - "Carragher will be at Melwood so Benítez must start there, discussing with his centre-half how Liverpool can improve and how Benítez himself can become a better manager." 

Offline ACLE

• RAWK Supporter
  • Kopite
« Reply #100 on: November 12, 2010, 11:56:30 pm »
Any good/decent/quality manager would know as and when to protect their players as Ambrosia's quote above. Insua was overdone and blew up because of lack of cover cos Aurelio was injured. Kelly needs a break soon cos he was battered on Wednesday with little cover. Time for Glen to step up and get his finger out after Uncle Roy's shot across the bow. We have a decent defensive squad to fall back on. Come on you reds!
It's not where you've been, it's where we're going.

JUSTICE DELAYED IS JUSTICE DENIED but Justice is getting closer every day.

Offline Black Bull Nova

• emo
  • Legacy Fan
  • The cheesy side of town
aarf, aarf, aarf.

Offline RedinExile

• credulous ingratiating simpleton
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #102 on: November 12, 2010, 11:56:52 pm »
Did Roy come out with this sort of stuff at Fulham? Can't see him being a popular manager if he did, but Danny I Know Me Football Murphy never made any mention of it. Weird really.

That dressing room must be a riot of laughs at this moment in time.
There are always more fortresses to torch.

Offline GrkStav

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #103 on: November 12, 2010, 11:56:58 pm »
NESV should release a statement saying they are not pleased with Hodgson's performance this season, and they'll seek to offload him to Hull or somewere, if his perormance doesnt improve.
tit

"You'd have to ask him "Do you think you've been performing like one of the most respected managers in Europe, a 35-year veteran of the profession, last year's winner of a prestigious award?" If he says "Yes, I have" then we would need to tell him that we obviously differ with him on that count. If he says "No, I haven't" then we would have to insist that he improve his performance to avoid being fired in a forthnight's time."
Ludi Circenses!

Offline Rohit

• nol
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #104 on: November 12, 2010, 11:57:46 pm »
Konchesky, poulsen will he mention them or good old joey cole. I thought not, i wish henry would give roy a public slating tell him to get his attack together and playing some football, rather than hoof it up to  the pitch and defend for our lives. Johnson has been poor but to say kelly been great as some has said people need to take of there scouse glasses, he was regularly skinned by nzogbia, remmeber the step over and boom past him now only if he had a good delivery would people notice. But if that was glen he would have been ripped to shreads.

Offline JovaJova

• Advises you to avoid premature Jovaculation.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #105 on: November 12, 2010, 11:58:26 pm »
But still, both are critical, insofar both are public.  To harangue Roy over this as if it's something new and out of the ordinary for LFC is hypocritical.  The two examples I quickly found of Houllier and Rafa criticising players via the media could prob be backed up with examples of Dalglish, Paisley and Shanks doing likewise.

I simply see it as yet another excuse to hammer the manager.  Plus I agree with his sentiments.  Johnson has been poor this season.  Maybe this will give him the kick he needs.  Maybe it won't.  But maybe a manager has to try.  Maybe he's tried the old 'arm around the shoulder'?

Who knows?  We certainly don't.

Seriously ?

The guy is continually undermining the squad to try to build a picture to the public / press about how tough a job he has and how well he is doing with it

This is a daily / weekly event, not an isolated incident
You said, I think I'm like Tennessee Williams, I wait for the click, I wait but it doesn't kick in

Offline Fat Scouser

• Trolley Dolly with a 54 2/3 inch waist - last seen shopping on Scottie Road for speedos. Is just a bit.....you know.....
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #106 on: November 12, 2010, 11:59:11 pm »
I don't even know if he's done it. Maybe we'll get a denial on tv tommorrow. But can anyone tell me what benefit there is in a manager slagging off one of his players in the papers?

"A peasant you are. A peasant you will remain. And we shall use all our wealth and power, to make your lot even worse and keep you exactly where you are, Bondage!"    The Boy King, Richard II, after  putting down the The Peasants Revolt in 1381.

http://misterinobody.weebly.com/

Offline lawrie

• Legacy Fan
  • Done the treble
« Reply #107 on: November 12, 2010, 11:59:16 pm »
So thus far Roy doesnt seem to have rated Johnson, Agger, Jovanovic, Pacheco, Aquilani and Babel (for a time Lucas as well until it became obvious Poulsen wasn't up to scratch) strangely that's mainly players who play in an attacking manner. Hmmm

Offline TSC

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #108 on: November 12, 2010, 11:59:20 pm »
Oh, I see. You really ignored the connotations and stuck, scientifically, to the denotative content of my the words in my post.

Ok, I'll keep that in mind in the future.

No, the central tenet of the criticism of Hodgson was that 'he went public'.  Well so did Rafa and Houllier before him.

If then with the benefit of hindsight (I.e. proof that Rafa et al also criticised players via the media), the criticism relates to 'content' rather than context, then that changes the argument. 

It wouldn't be about going public, but would centre on 'what he said'.

Offline GrkStav

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #109 on: November 12, 2010, 11:59:32 pm »
There's no comparison, in my opinion, between Rafa's statements and Hodgson's. Perhaps it is a matter of prejudice, it's possible, but I consider Hodgson's statements MUCH worse.
Ludi Circenses!

Offline downtown

• abbewy
  • Legacy Fan
  • Justice for Sarina
« Reply #110 on: November 13, 2010, 12:00:13 am »
Spurs have poor man's Johnson playing for them (Hutton) and he's been brilliant for them recently, since they attack with numbers...allowing him to get forward, switch feet and take shots......

when I see that, I wonder how good Glen can be if played in the right set up

Offline Promised to never post on RAWK again

• Might be Estonian_Red, but I wouldn't trust a word he says. In fact don't trust anything anyone says... EVER.
  • No new LFC topics
  • Legacy Fan
  • Where Amazing Happens
« Reply #111 on: November 13, 2010, 12:01:30 am »
The guy is continually undermining the squad to try to build a picture to the public / press about how tough a job he has and how well he is doing with it

True ... Roy is attacking everyone and everything in public, trying to find excuses for his own shortcomings ... He should be gone as soon as possible, before he alienates more players to the point of no return ...
The internet is a bad place - People like Mac Red are on it.

Offline Fat Scouser

• Trolley Dolly with a 54 2/3 inch waist - last seen shopping on Scottie Road for speedos. Is just a bit.....you know.....
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #112 on: November 13, 2010, 12:01:36 am »
Konchesky, poulsen will he mention them or good old joey cole.
Roy's in today's Daily Mail saying what a good player Poulsen is and how he is "devestated," at the treatment he's recieved from us.
"A peasant you are. A peasant you will remain. And we shall use all our wealth and power, to make your lot even worse and keep you exactly where you are, Bondage!"    The Boy King, Richard II, after  putting down the The Peasants Revolt in 1381.

http://misterinobody.weebly.com/

Online Hazell

• Ultimate Movie Night Draft Winner 2017. King - or Queen - of Mystery. Hyzenthlay. The 5th Benitle's sex conch.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #113 on: November 13, 2010, 12:01:37 am »
I thought over the last couple of weeks Hodgson was improving in terms of his comments in the media. Shame.
We have to change from doubter to believer. Now.

Online redbyrdz

• No to sub-optimal passing! Not content with one century, this girl does two together. Oh, and FUCK THE TORIES deh-deh-deh-deh!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #114 on: November 13, 2010, 12:02:23 am »
More 'arm around the shoulder' management i see.

Why the fuck has he got a go at Johnson now?!? Johnson's been injured and hasn't played for a while, why bring up he  hasn't performed now? Couldn't he have just said: 'Kelly has done well while Johnson was injured and Johnson has to prove again he deserves to start'. (But then again, he probably can't say that - it goes against his A/B team devide - if you are an 'A-team' player, you are guaranteed a starting place under Hodgson. Which in itself is a pretty wierd way of getting the best out of your players.)
"I want to build a team that's invincible, so that they have to send a team from bloody Mars to beat us." - Bill Shankly

Offline rafa4sure

• Anny Roader
« Reply #115 on: November 13, 2010, 12:02:33 am »
"You'd have to ask him "Do you think you've been performing like one of the most respected managers in Europe, a 35-year veteran of the profession, last year's winner of a prestigious award?" If he says "Yes, I have" then we would need to tell him that we obviously differ with him on that count. If he says "No, I haven't" then we would have to insist that he improve his performance to avoid being fired in a forthnight's time."
That would only be fair!

Offline drpepe

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #116 on: November 13, 2010, 12:02:53 am »
I don't even know if he's done it. Maybe we'll get a denial on tv tommorrow. But can anyone tell me what benefit there is in a manager slagging off one of his players in the papers?

the timing is very odd

gj played in a period when no-one was playing well, and hasn't played at all for the last few matches

now he's coming back from a long-ish injury he gets a bit of individual criticism?

v strange

Offline hedger

• ows
  • No new LFC topics
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #117 on: November 13, 2010, 12:03:17 am »
well said roy

Offline thegoodfella

• makes reindeer pizza
  • Legacy Fan
  • ...siempre es posible
« Reply #118 on: November 13, 2010, 12:03:27 am »
So Roy thinks that Carra is Carlos Alberto, and Glen needs to play like he wants his position back? I am slightly confused...

Offline RedinExile

• credulous ingratiating simpleton
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #119 on: November 13, 2010, 12:03:32 am »
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/teams/liverpool/6263287/Rafa-Benitez-must-keep-Steven-Gerrard-and-Jamie-Carragher-on-his-side-at-Liverpool.html

Here's Winter's take on Benitez's astonishing attack on the Liverpool heartbeat.

Breathtaking article actually containing lines such as - "Carragher will be at Melwood so Benítez must start there, discussing with his centre-half how Liverpool can improve and how Benítez himself can become a better manager." 

I know, the cheeky cnt!
There are always more fortresses to torch.