Author Topic: SPOILERS The Chainless Game of Thrones and House of the Dragon Discussion  (Read 1045502 times)

Offline Henry Gale

• Margot Robbie Stalker
  • Legacy Fan
  • My name is Henry Gale. I'm from Minnesota.
I've also re watched during lockdown. Enjoyed the later seasons a lot more than I did originally. I think I was probably too harsh on D&D last year as I was expecting them to produce the same magic in 6 months that George R. R. Martin has struggled to do in 10 years so maybe they deserve a bit of a break.

Offline jillcwhomever

• Finding Brian hard to swallow. Definitely not Paula Nancy MIllstone Jennings of 37 Wasp Villas, Greenbridge, Essex, GB10 1LL. Or maybe. Who knows.....Finds it hard to choose between Jürgen's wurst and Fat Sam's sausage.
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • "I'm surprised they didn't charge me rent"
I've also re watched during lockdown. Enjoyed the later seasons a lot more than I did originally. I think I was probably too harsh on D&D last year as I was expecting them to produce the same magic in 6 months that George R. R. Martin has struggled to do in 10 years so maybe they deserve a bit of a break.

I remember you having similar thoughts to me at the time, I re-watched series 8 and still hate it as much as the first time, it makes little sense especially the last episode. I just cannot fathom even now the motivations/choices of the some of the characters. I still don't even get why Jaime going back to Cersei, they show the signs of him breaking away from those chains and then he just rejects everything and goes back to her.  ::)
"He's trying to get right away from football. I believe he went to Everton"

Offline Henry Gale

• Margot Robbie Stalker
  • Legacy Fan
I remember you having similar thoughts to me at the time, I re-watched series 8 and still hate it as much as the first time, it makes little sense especially the last episode. I just cannot fathom even now the motivations/choices of the some of the characters. I still don't even get why Jaime going back to Cersei, they show the signs of him breaking away from those chains and then he just rejects everything and goes back to her.  ::)

Yep, I try not to think about certain plots because as you say they make zero sense! Jon going back to the nights watch, Bron getting the master of coin job etc etc there's loads  ;D

The mission beyond the wall was also silly considering everyone knew Cersei  wouldn't care but the writers needed to get a dragon beyond the wall or the army of the dead wouldn't have been able to pass through so I'm guessing that's the only way D & D could think of.

Offline WhereAngelsPlay

• Rockwool Marketing Board Spokesman. Cracker Wanker. Fucking calmest man on RAWK, alright? ALRIGHT?! Definitely a bigger cunt than YOU!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
Yep, I try not to think about certain plots because as you say they make zero sense! Jon going back to the nights watch, Bron getting the master of coin job etc etc there's loads  ;D

The mission beyond the wall was also silly considering everyone knew Cersei  wouldn't care but the writers needed to get a dragon beyond the wall or the army of the dead wouldn't have been able to pass through so I'm guessing that's the only way D & D could think of.

They could've just built some ships,easy to do considering how fast they knocked up those chains  ;D
My cup, it runneth over, I'll never get my fill

Offline jillcwhomever

• Finding Brian hard to swallow. Definitely not Paula Nancy MIllstone Jennings of 37 Wasp Villas, Greenbridge, Essex, GB10 1LL. Or maybe. Who knows.....Finds it hard to choose between Jürgen's wurst and Fat Sam's sausage.
  • Legacy Fan
They could've just built some ships,easy to do considering how fast they knocked up those chains  ;D

Don't start on the bloody chains again, can't you read the title?  ;D

Offline Schmidt

• 's small stretchy scrotum
  • Legacy Fan

Nah fuck them, they struggled with season 8 because they wanted to squeeze an ending in quickly and go make Star Wars. I might revisit the show if the last book(s) come out and finish the story out nicely, but since the finale I haven't even considered going back to watch any of it.

Offline Henry Gale

• Margot Robbie Stalker
  • Legacy Fan
Nah fuck them, they struggled with season 8 because they wanted to squeeze an ending in quickly and go make Star Wars. I might revisit the show if the last book(s) come out and finish the story out nicely, but since the finale I haven't even considered going back to watch any of it.

Yeah I know, I just wanted to see a few more episodes of mad queen Daenerys and I would of been happy  ;D

I bet the cast wish it carried on a few more seasons as none of them will ever do anything that big again.

Offline jillcwhomever

• Legacy Fan
Yeah I know, I just wanted to see a few more episodes of mad queen Daenerys and I would of been happy  ;D

I bet the cast wish it carried on a few more seasons as none of them will ever do anything that big again.

I guess its different for actors, being in something this big which would take a lot of the year to make, means they can't always get the parts they want elsewhere. I think most of them were happy it ended as they now have the chance to do something different.

Anyway House of the Dragon will hopefully take the place of GOT, besides which I am looking forward to them building a set for Harrenhal.
« Last Edit: October 8, 2020, 04:01:38 pm by jillc »

Offline Musketeer Gripweed

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan

Kit Harrington has a role in The Eternals. That could be massive for him. Edit, so does Richard Madden I think....

I've rewatched the whole thing a few times, and the same thing annoys now just as much as on the first viewing. The bloody eyebrows, especially the Targayren ones.

Offline Henry Gale

• Margot Robbie Stalker
  • Legacy Fan
I guess its different for actors, being in something this big which would take a lot of the year to make, means they can't always get the parts they want elsewhere. I think most of them were happy it ended as they now have the chance to do something different.

Anyway House of the Dragon will hopefully take the place of GOT, besides which I am looking forward to them building a set for Harrenhal.

That's true, Sophie Turner was in an X-men movie too and they are pretty big. I watched Maisie Williams new movie the other night and it was bloody terrible.

But yeah, House Of The Dragon should be great as the books have been finished so no need for the writers to write new stuff   ;D

Offline McrRed

• Member of International Hill Climbers Group. Only gets happy endings at Christmas.
  • Legacy Fan
  • In the town where I was born
Visery's was Dany's brother if we are talking of GOT and not the new show.  :D
I always assumed he was abusing her* hence the lack of emotional response to his death.

*It's the Targaeryan way :/

Offline jillcwhomever

• Legacy Fan
I always assumed he was abusing her* hence the lack of emotional response to his death.

*It's the Targaeryan way :/

Yes, he was which was why I found it really strange how the writers thought she should somehow be showing some sadness about his death. It makes little sense.

Offline Gods_Left_Boot

• Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
Rewatching this right now. Up to season 5...boys is it easier to follow second time around!

It's actually loads better.

To be fair, you've been rewatching the good stuff. The problem with the last three seasons wasn't  that the story was difficult to follow, it was that the show was utter shit.
September 12, 2012:Truth today, justice tomorrow.

Oliver Kay ‏@OliverKayTimes
Those who've campaigned for the truth on Hillsborough were once a suppressed minority. Now the minority are those left clinging to the lies.

My idea was to build Liverpool into a bastion of invincibility. Napoleon had that idea. He wanted to conquer the bloody world.

Offline McrRed

• Member of International Hill Climbers Group. Only gets happy endings at Christmas.
  • Legacy Fan
Randomly watched episode one today - foreshadowing all over the place. This show is fucking brilliant.

Offline Nobby Reserve

• Onanistic Charades Champion Of Roundabouts. Euphemistic Gerbil Starver.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Do you wanna build a snowman?
Re: SPOILERS Mr Blessed & Mrs Barney say "NO Discussion of Chains!" Game of Thrones
« Reply #15054 on: December 17, 2020, 08:10:52 pm »
To be fair, you've been rewatching the good stuff. The problem with the last three seasons wasn't  that the story was difficult to follow, it was that the show was utter shit.

I'm another who's started rewatching.

It makes me sad that the last 3 series were as shit as the first few were brilliant.

And they really were brilliant.
A Tory, a worker and an immigrant are sat round a table. There's a plate of 10 biscuits in the middle. The Tory takes 9 then turns to the worker and says "that immigrant is trying to steal your biscuit"

Offline Lastrador

• Legacy Fan
  • Not Italian
Re: SPOILERS Mr Blessed & Mrs Barney say "NO Discussion of Chains!" Game of Thrones
« Reply #15055 on: December 17, 2020, 08:35:36 pm »
Season 6 was really good though, it had easily three of the top 10 episodes ever. Season 7 and 8 yes, utter shit.

Offline classycarra

• The Left Disonourable Chuntering Member For Scousepool.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #15056 on: December 17, 2020, 09:39:14 pm »
Season 6 was really good though, it had easily three of the top 10 episodes ever. Season 7 and 8 yes, utter shit.

Season 6 was when the warning signs were starting though. Granted there were amazing episodes, but there was so much filler it was crazy. Mostly in Dorne relating to the sand snakes, but also Bran stuff.

Offline Lastrador

• Legacy Fan
  • Not Italian
« Reply #15057 on: December 17, 2020, 09:46:19 pm »
Season 6 was when the warning signs were starting though. Granted there were amazing episodes, but there was so much filler it was crazy. Mostly in Dorne relating to the sand snakes, but also Bran stuff.
I don’t think there was much Dorne stuff in season 6, that was mostly season 5. The Bran stuff in season 6 were great I thought, all the Tower of Joy and Hodor origin stuff. There were a couple of missteps of course, mostly Arya in Bravos, but on the whole I thought it was one of the most enjoyable seasons.
« Last Edit: December 17, 2020, 09:49:03 pm by Lastrador »

Offline jillcwhomever

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #15058 on: December 17, 2020, 11:22:53 pm »
I can honestly say I haven't watched it since it finished. The ending killed it for me sadly, it all started falling to pieces when they were no longer interested in developing the characters. The moment writers do that, the show just goes to pieces.

Offline Schmidt

• 's small stretchy scrotum
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #15059 on: December 17, 2020, 11:27:36 pm »
I can honestly say I haven't watched it since it finished. The ending killed it for me sadly, it all started falling to pieces when they were no longer interested in developing the characters. The moment writers do that, the show just goes to pieces.

Same, I used to rewatch every season before a new one started but haven't watched a single episode since the finale. Maybe one day if the books ever get finished and aren't a huge disappointment I'll read through them and then revisit the show.

Offline Something Worse

• Master of prehistoric and fantasy creature-based onomatopoeia
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #15060 on: December 18, 2020, 12:28:28 am »

Same.

I think we can all pinpoint where it went wrong though, even though we're not allowed to discuss it
Maybe the group, led by your leadership, will see these drafts as PR functions and brilliant use of humor

Hey Claus, fuck off.

Offline afc tukrish

• How long for them sausages? Maggie May's Mythical Turkish Delight. RAWK's Expert Sausage Monster! Oakley Cannonier is fucking boss. Likes blowing his friends and undoing their nuts? Who nose?!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • This looks like a nice spot...
    • Flat Back Four
« Reply #15061 on: December 18, 2020, 01:13:49 am »
Same.

I think we can all pinpoint where it went wrong though, even though we're not allowed to discuss it

Broken link in the chain(s), perhaps?
Since haste quite Schorsch, but Liverpool are genuine fight pigs...

Offline jooneyisdagod

• Doesn't like having pussy round the house
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #15062 on: December 18, 2020, 01:17:51 am »
Where is the guy that used to take constant potshots at me when I said that Season 5 onwards (basically whenever D&D deviated from the books) were absolute shit?  ;D

The show is basically unrewatchable now.
Quote from: Dion Fanning

The chants for Kenny Dalglish that were heard again on Wednesday do not necessarily mean that the fans see him as the saviour. This is not Newcastle, longing for the return of Kevin Keegan. Simply, Dalglish represents everything Hodgson is not and, in fairness, everything Hodgson could or would not hope to be.

Offline Something Worse

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #15063 on: December 18, 2020, 01:57:00 am »
Where is the guy that used to take constant potshots at me when I said that Season 5 onwards (basically whenever D&D deviated from the books) were absolute shit?  ;D

I'm scared to tell everyone that Mandalorian is shit too, people get too invested in this stuff.
Maybe the group, led by your leadership, will see these drafts as PR functions and brilliant use of humor

Hey Claus, fuck off.

Offline S

• pineless. Get no pleasure from seeing the Reds win.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Tonight, Tonight
I have no problems at all rewatching it, with the exception of the 7 and 8. Mainly 8 though.

When rewatching I can just enjoy the individual episodes for what they are, it really doesn’t bother me that it later turned so poor. Plenty of TV shows turned rubbish later on but I’ll still happily rewatch them at their peak.

Offline afc tukrish

• How long for them sausages? Maggie May's Mythical Turkish Delight. RAWK's Expert Sausage Monster! Oakley Cannonier is fucking boss. Likes blowing his friends and undoing their nuts? Who nose?!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • This looks like a nice spot...
    • Flat Back Four
« Reply #15065 on: December 18, 2020, 02:31:32 am »

Two posts down, one above this one...

S we have no bananas...
Since haste quite Schorsch, but Liverpool are genuine fight pigs...

Online andyrol

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • might bring you boys a rabbit up in the week
« Reply #15066 on: December 18, 2020, 04:29:23 pm »
I didnt mind the last few seasons but i can see they were nowhere near the quality of the first few. still a brilliant show with some stunning moments even in the last couple of episodes. the problem is that American writers just cant let go or cant take their time getting things right due to pressure from the companies, look at 'lost'.

Offline McrRed

• Legacy Fan
Same.

[emoji16]
I didnt mind the last few seasons but i can see they were nowhere near the quality of the first few. still a brilliant show with some stunning moments even in the last couple of episodes. the problem is that American writers just cant let go or cant take their time getting things right due to pressure from the companies, look at 'lost'.
This is a more reasoned pov...the show wasn't shit it just went from being one of the best things ever to being run of the mill blockbuster entertainment. And suffered badly in the comparison to itself...

Offline El Lobo

• Chief Suck Up. Feel his breath on your face. Toxic, pathetic, arse-faced, weaselling slimeball. RAWK Maths Genius 2022.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Pretty, pretty, pretty pretty good
« Reply #15068 on: December 18, 2020, 05:27:47 pm »
Yep, had no desire to rewatch season 8 at all.

Which doesn’t make it any less hyperbolic when people say it’s unwatchable now or ‘the worst tv episode ever’ like people were spouting at the time ;D
If he's being asked to head the ball too frequently - which isn't exactly his specialty - it could affect his ear and cause an infection. Especially if the ball hits him on the ear directly.

Offline Something Worse

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #15069 on: December 18, 2020, 08:00:24 pm »

I think everyone involved in the show was done with it. It would have been better with two more seasons but the actors wanted out, the writers wanted out it was just time to go I suppose.

I do remember thinking it would be a very unsatisfying ending no matter what happened. But maybe season 8 stretched across 15-20 episodes would have felt better.

Hey Claus, fuck off.

Offline jillcwhomever

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #15070 on: December 19, 2020, 10:22:33 am »
I think everyone involved in the show was done with it. It would have been better with two more seasons but the actors wanted out, the writers wanted out it was just time to go I suppose.

I do remember thinking it would be a very unsatisfying ending no matter what happened. But maybe season 8 stretched across 15-20 episodes would have felt better.

Considering all the stuff they had to get through, it was ludicrous to attempt it with so few episodes. I remember an interview with one of the writers claiming that despite having two episodes with blown up war scenes, it would not affect the development of the characters ongoing. It was the most stupid statement I had read in a long time and was basically shown up in the disaster of those last couple of episodes.

Offline Something Worse

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #15071 on: December 19, 2020, 02:56:06 pm »
Considering all the stuff they had to get through, it was ludicrous to attempt it with so few episodes. I remember an interview with one of the writers claiming that despite having two episodes with blown up war scenes, it would not affect the development of the characters ongoing. It was the most stupid statement I had read in a long time and was basically shown up in the disaster of those last couple of episodes.

Do you think the beats of the plot would have worked as an ending still? Wight's get owned, Cersei gets owned, Dany goes mad, Jon kills her? I feel like half a season of Danerys as an evil ruler would have been fun.

Hey Claus, fuck off.

Offline El Lobo

• Chief Suck Up. Feel his breath on your face. Toxic, pathetic, arse-faced, weaselling slimeball. RAWK Maths Genius 2022.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #15072 on: December 19, 2020, 03:00:52 pm »
The way it all went down wasn’t a problem at all, for me. It was just rushed as fuck.
If he's being asked to head the ball too frequently - which isn't exactly his specialty - it could affect his ear and cause an infection. Especially if the ball hits him on the ear directly.

Offline Something Worse

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #15073 on: December 19, 2020, 03:11:28 pm »
The way it all went down wasn’t a problem at all, for me. It was just rushed as fuck.

Yeah, that's true. Too much fan service too.

Hey Claus, fuck off.

Offline Lastrador

• Legacy Fan
  • Not Italian
« Reply #15074 on: December 19, 2020, 03:16:59 pm »
I think season 7 and 8, should have been easily 4 full seasons. There was so much major war stuff brushed off like it was nothing that it got ridiculous, especially in season 7. High Garden and Casterly Rock both being taken in what was effectively a 10-minute montage was bonkers.

Offline jillcwhomever

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #15075 on: December 19, 2020, 04:04:51 pm »
Do you think the beats of the plot would have worked as an ending still? Wight's get owned, Cersei gets owned, Dany goes mad, Jon kills her? I feel like half a season of Danerys as an evil ruler would have been fun.

To me watching a show the most important part of enjoying it is seeing the characters develop properly. I would have had no problems with some of the above provided we had seen some examples of those characters actually going mad. But seeing nothing, makes it really hard to accept. You then have characters just reacting to situations rather than understanding why they act the way they do. I think that approach also helps the actors too, as there is some substance to how they react as well.

I am watching His Dark Materials at the moment on BBC1. All of series two has been taken up developing the two young characters and you can't believe how much better it makes a show, say nothing of enabling the actors to show how that relationship is going. All the emotional moments are better because you can understand how its come about, as you've seen it yourself on the actual screen. GOT used to do that especially in the early days, but it started to lose its way after the books dried up.

I can entirely understand that my enjoyment may not be the same as someone else's. But I just feel like the show was more interested in these big events, then actually taking the characters themselves any further forward.
« Last Edit: December 19, 2020, 04:06:31 pm by Jillc Bell Rock »

Offline El Lobo

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #15076 on: December 19, 2020, 04:07:18 pm »
Yeah, that's true. Too much fan service too.

The fan service was the best part

Offline rushyman

• Not A Badgeman. Fuck him. Please. Someone. Anyone! But not Jonathan Pearce.....
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • On Halloween, parents send kids out lookin like me
« Reply #15077 on: December 28, 2020, 11:57:08 pm »
I’m watching it all again now

Mrs fir the first time, it’ll be interesting to see her thoughts ha jong not been influenced largely by the heavily emotionally invested over 10 years

I actually only watched it over 3 as I watched the first 6 seasons in one go

I still maintain that it was brilliant TV. My only disappointment was the last episode, when I hear people going on about lack of development and rushed story’s I do get it but for me it works pretty well.
If you don't limit yourself with bad thoughts, you can fly

Jurgen Klopp

Offline rushyman

• Not A Badgeman. Fuck him. Please. Someone. Anyone! But not Jonathan Pearce.....
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • On Halloween, parents send kids out lookin like me
« Reply #15078 on: December 28, 2020, 11:58:18 pm »
[emoji16]This is a more reasoned pov...the show wasn't shit it just went from being one of the best things ever to being run of the mill blockbuster entertainment. And suffered badly in the comparison to itself...

This hits the nail on the head

If you don't limit yourself with bad thoughts, you can fly

Jurgen Klopp

Offline Guz-kop

• Baz cop
  • Legacy Fan
I was about 10 years late to the party and only watch thrones for the first time this year. Funny reading some of the contemporary comments on this thread and other stuff on the internet. The final episode was a bit meh. No doubt the final season was rushed and too much put into too few episodes although I felt by end of season 6 it was starting to drag a little.

Up to that point though, the show was excellent. Consistently with about 3-4 subplots in every season with really detailed storylines and obviously incredible visual, CGI etc. I loved breaking bad but am always surprised to see it considered as one of the best shows. Wire was more about the bigger picture rather than individual storylines and even main characters like McNulty, we only really scratched the surface with. Sopranos probably is the best of the lot with really detailed story arcs for about 3 or 4 characters throughout the show, and intermittently other characters for about 2 seasons. Hilarious to think what the reaction to the sopranos finale would have been in the current era though. Twitter would have exploded

Both wire and sopranos were brilliant second time round so will probably watch GoT again at some point
It's wonderful, it's marvellous, it's 3-3