Author Topic: CL SF: Liverpool 4 vs Barçelona 0 (4-3) Origi 6', 79’, Gini 53', 56 Bloody hell.  (Read 267124 times)

Offline deFacto please, you bastards

• Apologies if I haven't responded to every post in every thread yet, I'm trying hard. farKnow.
  • Legacy Fan
I think that it will be the rebirth of them.

A couple of years of rebuilding for sure... but they’ve just become a galactico club now, they don’t really have any philosophy that’s different from Real

I think they're going to need several years. Unless they manage to sign Neymar [which now seems like never happening] they have a lot of rebuilding to do from top to bottom. They're all over the place.

Offline Red Beret

• Yellow Beret. Wants to sit in the Lobster Pot. Fat-fingered. Key. Boa. Rd. Kille. R. tonunlick! Soggy Knickers King. Bed-Exiting / Grunting / Bending Down / Cum Face Champion 2023.
  • Legacy Fan
If they rebuild in three years they've done well.  Personally I think they'll take longer.

Personally if they've got any sense they'll sell Messi to Newcastle right now just to clear their debts. ;D
I don't always visit Lobster Pot.  But when I do. I sit.

Popcorn's Art

Online TepidT2O

• Deffo NOT 9"! MUFC bedwetter. Grass. Folically-challenged, God-piece-wearing, monkey-rubber. Jizz aroma expert. Operating at the lower end of the distribution curve...has the hots for Alan. Bastard. Fearless in transfer windows with lack of convicti
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • Dejan Lovren fan club member #1
If they rebuild in three years they've done well.  Personally I think they'll take longer.

Personally if they've got any sense they'll sell Messi to Newcastle right now just to clear their debts. ;D
Madrid did it with Ronaldo
“Happiness can be found in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light.”
“Generosity always pays off. Generosity in your effort, in your work, in your kindness, in the way you look after people and take care of people. In the long run, if you are generous with a heart, and with humanity, it always pays off.”
W

Offline Red Beret

• Yellow Beret. Wants to sit in the Lobster Pot. Fat-fingered. Key. Boa. Rd. Kille. R. tonunlick! Soggy Knickers King. Bed-Exiting / Grunting / Bending Down / Cum Face Champion 2023.
  • Legacy Fan
Madrid did it with Ronaldo

Everton used to do it all the time.  Just now they don't have anyone worth selling.

Popcorn's Art

Offline Phil M

• YNWA
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Bravery is believing in yourself" Rafael Benitez
    • I coulda been a contenda.....
They're fucked once Messi retires. They'll revert to the pre 05 days/pre Rijkaard days.  Their famed academy hasn't brought through anyone of note in a years as well. And they are financially fucked out of all the big clubs.

Ansu Fati who joined La Masia aged ten looks a very exciting prospect though.
It's true to say that if Shankly had told us to invade Poland we'd be queuing up 10 deep all the way from Anfield to the Pier Head.

Online TepidT2O

• Deffo NOT 9"! MUFC bedwetter. Grass. Folically-challenged, God-piece-wearing, monkey-rubber. Jizz aroma expert. Operating at the lower end of the distribution curve...has the hots for Alan. Bastard. Fearless in transfer windows with lack of convicti
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • Dejan Lovren fan club member #1
I heard the same about Bojan etc...

He does look good, but the hype to be the next Messi must be huge
“Happiness can be found in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light.”
“Generosity always pays off. Generosity in your effort, in your work, in your kindness, in the way you look after people and take care of people. In the long run, if you are generous with a heart, and with humanity, it always pays off.”
W

Offline Gerry Attrick

• Sancho's dad. Tight-arse, non-jackpot-sharing get :)
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop

I think Bojan would've been a really good player if he'd not suffered with mental health problems. My brother is a Forest fan and saw him playing for Stoke in a League Cup tie. Said his technique was off the charts compared to anybody else out there and Charlie Adam was playing...

Offline Red Beret

• Legacy Fan

Well that's the thing, isn't it?  Barcelona are desperate for someone - anyone - to be the next fucking Messi.  Seems they've built their entire business model around it. 

But Messi's are a once-in-a-generation player, and there's no telling where or when the next one might show up.  The next Messi might be some 13 year old lad currently kicking a can down a street in Buenos Aires and a long way from pulling on a Barca shirt, if at all.  The next Messi might even have his heart set on playing for the current World Champions. ;)

Popcorn's Art

Offline Morgana

• Legacy Fan
  • Sanity is overrated.
I think Messi--unintentionally and through no fault of his own--crushes the hopes of potential successors through the sheer enormity of his legend (Bojan, Coutinho, to an extent Neymar, etc. etc.). How can anybody live up to / aspire to being / succeed in becoming the next Messi or the successor to Messi at Barcelona? That club is destined to not recover from the loss of Messi for at least a decade after he retires. They made that bed and will have to lie in it. The whole demigod thing with Messi at Barça--the way they literally worship him--has always made me extremely uncomfortable. I hope we never become so dependent on anyone. 

Offline kloppagetime

• Is severely disappointed with Liverpool’s performance levels in 2020, especially pre-season.
  • Legacy Fan
They're fucked once Messi retires. They'll revert to the pre 05 days/pre Rijkaard days.  Their famed academy hasn't brought through anyone of note in a years as well. And they are financially fucked out of all the big clubs.
Agreed with this I think once Messi retires they will become the next AC Milan or Man United a once great club who are now a shadow of their former selves

Offline Curtisinho

• Main Stander
  • YNWA
Well that's the thing, isn't it?  Barcelona are desperate for someone - anyone - to be the next fucking Messi.  Seems they've built their entire business model around it. 

But Messi's are a once-in-a-generation player, and there's no telling where or when the next one might show up.  The next Messi might be some 13 year old lad currently kicking a can down a street in Buenos Aires and a long way from pulling on a Barca shirt, if at all.  The next Messi might even have his heart set on playing for the current World Champions. ;)

Yeah I think that Barcelona are going to be going through some tough times especially with their current transfer policy. Outside of getting Neymar, who despite being a dunce is incredibly good when healthy, they're in for a shock.

That said the next Messi may already be coming up in Rayan Cherki...and he wants to play for Real Madrid apparently.
Walk on with hope in your heart and you'll never walk alone.

• Apologies if I haven't responded to every post in every thread yet, I'm trying hard. farKnow.
  • Legacy Fan
To me this will always be the final, rather than the match in Madrid, which was just the certification of us being Champions :D, just watched this match again, what a performance, what a night, still laughing everytime the 3rd and 4th goal goes in, as if its the first time I'm seeing it

Offline TheShanklyGates

• Firmly in the "shake it all about" camp
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Outside The Shankly Gates...
Never fails to bring a smile to my face when I see this thread has been bumped.
I've just wiped the sticky residue from my bellend onto the television screen. Taste it Leo. You deserve it.
I would honestly let Wijnaldum jizz in my face right now

Offline Son of Spion

• "No, I said I was WORKING from home! Me ma's reading this, ya bastids!" Supporter of The Unbrarables. Worratit.
  • RAWK Betazoid
  • Legacy Fan
  • BAGs. 28 Years..What Would The Bullens Wall Say?
To me this will always be the final, rather than the match in Madrid, which was just the certification of us being Champions :D, just watched this match again, what a performance, what a night, still laughing everytime the 3rd and 4th goal goes in, as if its the first time I'm seeing it

That's how it feels for me too.

It's like we won it at Anfield against Barcelona, but we picked up the trophy in Madrid.

Now, the Final itself just feels like a pre-trophy lift exhibition match.
The light that burns twice as bright, burns half as long, and you've burned so very, very brightly, Jürgen.

• Legacy Fan

It's like we won it at Anfield against Barcelona, but we picked up the trophy in Madrid.

Yup exactly, although the way the match was in the final also plays a part [it wasn't thrilling in comparison so it will always feel flat] but it was just dessert for us after having a tremendous run going back from the start of 2017 in Europe

Offline Reeves

• Back from the dead. Bit simples.
  • Legacy Fan
  • "THE DISTANCE BETWEEN INSANITY AND GENIUS.........
    • RAWK

I watched youtube videos of him and he's nothing special. Cue the "youtube" comments, but let's face it, if that's the best he has to offer he aint all that. Messi is superhuman partially on account of his growth hormone supplements. Greatest footballer of all time If Fati is as good as, say, Pennant, he's done well 
..........IS MEASURED ONLY BY SUCCESS"

RAWK - HJC Champions 2003
Former RAWK Scribe 2002 - 2004

Offline Lynx the saucy mynx

• Kopite

When this game has 11m views on YouTube, and the final has 3m that says it all.

I barely watch back the final. I watch post match stuff like Bobby acknowledging us the fans singing his song while Lovren does that dance, and the trophy lift etc.

But apart from the parade, it's the Barcelona game I watch back more than the final.

When I think of the final, I just remember Riise scoring too early in the league cup final, which made me be more on edge until Origi scored. So many nervous emotions attached to it. And the match itself feels like a blur.

The Barca game however, I remember every little thing. Even stuff not shown in the highlights.

Online zero zero

• Karma's a bitch. Innit.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
I remember a year ago so clearly like many of us, 2 days before this game my brother (massive massive red) died aged 43 and I took his son to the game, I just hoped the red men would put in a performance that would do my brother proud... they certainly did that!
 I could just picture my brothers smiling in the sky watching the mighty reds smash Barca!
YNWA Matt.
What a bitter sweet story. All the best

Offline IanZG

• Legacy Fan
Yup exactly, although the way the match was in the final also plays a part [it wasn't thrilling in comparison so it will always feel flat] but it was just dessert for us after having a tremendous run going back from the start of 2017 in Europe

The problem with a final after a performance like the Barca one is that it can only ruin things. If you win, that's great, but it won't be what you remember the campaign for, but if you lose it automatically puts a dent in the famous victory in the previous rounds. The same way the Dortmund game is, while still a great victory, somewhat ruined by the fact that we lost the final. Or even take Spurs, their comeback was also historical, but since they lost to us, it's automatically taken a back seat compared to the Barca one.

You could argue that the most famous example of this is the miracle on ice, which people often forget wasn't the final, USA still had to beat Finland in the final or one of their most famous victories (probably in all of sports) would've been a footnote.

Offline ChaChaMooMoo

• From doubters to believers - Klopp 2015
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Justice shall prevail.
Never fails to bring a smile to my face when I see this thread has been bumped.

100% with you mate.

Offline keyop

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Always eleven, acting as one.
I think Messi--unintentionally and through no fault of his own--crushes the hopes of potential successors through the sheer enormity of his legend (Bojan, Coutinho, to an extent Neymar, etc. etc.). How can anybody live up to / aspire to being / succeed in becoming the next Messi or the successor to Messi at Barcelona? That club is destined to not recover from the loss of Messi for at least a decade after he retires. They made that bed and will have to lie in it. The whole demigod thing with Messi at Barça--the way they literally worship him--has always made me extremely uncomfortable. I hope we never become so dependent on anyone.
I think that's true, and whilst they might well be 'More than a club', they've lost sight of the fact that they also needed to be 'More than a player'.

Messi has defined them for over 10 years, and as others have mentioned - the production line of quality from La Masia has dried up almost completely. The move from the traditional Spanish farmhouse in the shadows of the stadium to a modern glass box was intended to automate the home-grown production line and increase the odds of finding the next world class player. Yet since it's inception in 2011, I can't think of any player of note who has come through, and perhaps the break with tradition from a 300 year-old building that had been in the clubs DNA for decades somehow broke the spell.

The likes of Messi, Xavi, Iniesta, Pique, Valdes, Puyol, and Busquets elevated Barca (and Spain) to world beaters again, and they now look increasingly reliant on either big money signings or astute transfer business. The first approach succeeded with Neymar and Suarez (whilst the other players around them were still in their prime), but failed with the likes of Dembele and Coutinho as those other players began to fade. The jury's still out on Griezmann who has massive boots to fill. The second approach of finding unpolished gems at other clubs and turning them into world beaters - something at the very core of Jurgen's philosophy - hasn't really been seen at Barca for almost a decade now.

What this all means for us is that Barca (along with Real) are no longer the feared greats of Europe and both teams will continue to be in transition over the next 2-3 years, during a time when we're at our peak. Real might well boast a recent hat-trick of Champions League titles, but their focus on being 'the best in Europe' belies their poor showing in La Liga - winning just 4 titles in 15 years in a weak league. For Barca, Messi is so often our Gerrard of old - rescuing the game when it looked dead, and lifting those around him to become better players than they are when he's absent. The aura when he's gone will be impossible to replace and it will be interesting to see how Barca adapt and cope in the years that follow. They may well keep him on in some other role at the club to serve as an inspiration, but he might also haunt the club with a reminder of what they've lost and the gulf in quality that players are trying to bridge. That's one of the reasons I'm glad we didn't keep Gerrard at the club - despite the clamour from some for him to stick around.

Despite their issues with money and politics, I've always admired Barca for their approach to football, the development of youth, their style of play, and the contrast with their biggest rivals. But those days seems to be coming to an end as the likes of Messi, Busquets, Pique and Suarez enter their twilight years. It's time for a new dominant force in Europe and no-one is better placed than us across all of the leagues to be that team.
I've got OCD, but I prefer to call it CDO so it's in alphabetical order.

Offline Lynx the saucy mynx

• Kopite
The problem with a final after a performance like the Barca one is that it can only ruin things. If you win, that's great, but it won't be what you remember the campaign for, but if you lose it automatically puts a dent in the famous victory in the previous rounds. The same way the Dortmund game is, while still a great victory, somewhat ruined by the fact that we lost the final. Or even take Spurs, their comeback was also historical, but since they lost to us, it's automatically taken a back seat compared to the Barca one.

You could argue that the most famous example of this is the miracle on ice, which people often forget wasn't the final, USA still had to beat Finland in the final or one of their most famous victories (probably in all of sports) would've been a footnote.

It's why in the NFL i feel it was such sad fate, that the Tennessee Titans didn't win the Superbowl after the Music City Miracle. It seemed written in the stars.

It's why I was still more tentative after Origi scored the fourth. Because knowing us, you know a Gudjonsen moment was on the cards. And unlike him, if that was successful, it would of been a cruel twist.
« Last Edit: May 10, 2020, 11:14:06 am by Lynx the saucy mynx »

Offline Red Beret

• Legacy Fan

Yeah.  Our games against Dortumd and Man United in the Europa League ultimately counted for naught; and in the same way Spurs' epic run to the CL final was destroyed in 29 seconds by Sissoko's dozy handball.

Our early goal in the final ruined the game as a spectacle but we put in a solid, workman-like performance and ultimately made our chances count.  Of course, Pochetto's team selection helped; benching Moura and bringing Kane back was idiotic.

Popcorn's Art

Offline Indomitable_Carp

• Asterixophile
  • Legacy Fan
  • From the depths of Sevvy Park lake

So famous I had to Google it (although maybe I'm just ignorant!)  :D

Despite their issues with money and politics, I've always admired Barca for their approach to football, the development of youth, their style of play, and the contrast with their biggest rivals. But those days seems to be coming to an end as the likes of Messi, Busquets, Pique and Suarez enter their twilight years. It's time for a new dominant force in Europe and no-one is better placed than us across all of the leagues to be that team.

True, I always used to admire Barca, although these days I find them increasingly hard to differentiate from Real Madrid.

Living in Barcelona now, I would say that most of their fans are sound and are knowledgeable and respectful towards good footy, albeit still arrogant and entitled. I think a lot of the worst elements of their fan base tend to be those from elsewhere in Spain and abroad who support them for their success and nothing else, sometimes even in direct contradiction of the clubs stated politics and 'values'. But here, supporting Barca is still first and foremost a point of Catalan pride and pride in the city. Much like many of us, they are still uncomfortable with the worst excesses and influence of money in football and the way globalisation has helped corrupt their source of fierce local identity, which in this city at least has coincided with the city itself changing beyond recognition over the last 30 years. Although success still wins out at the end of the day.

That said I still have no love lost for them as a club, and sometimes find myself having to bite my tongue around my Barca supporting mates. Long gone are the days when I was happy to wear the Barca shirt I got on holiday here as a kid (to date the only non-LFC shirt I've owned - although funnily enough it was a Figo shirt from the same summer before he left for Madrid :P)

« Last Edit: May 10, 2020, 12:58:52 pm by Indomitable_Carp »

Online BoRed

• BoRing
  • Legacy Fan
  • BoRac
So famous I had to Google it (although maybe I'm just ignorant!)  :D

Relieved I'm not the only one! ;D

• Legacy Fan
Just look a few years ago when Barca came back against PSG only to be knocked out in the next phase of CL [can't remember if it was quarter finals ore semi finals]

Offline Statto Red

• Hung like a sperm whale but only around the middle. Proud owner of a couple of spare arms, although is pits pong like the bins, not very appealing. Bambi on ice.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Kloppite
Just look a few years ago when Barca came back against PSG only to be knocked out in the next phase of CL [can't remember if it was quarter finals ore semi finals]

It was the quarters & Juventus knocked them out.
#Sausages

Offline Keita Success

• Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
Relieved I'm not the only one! ;D
Not a clue.

Don’t know or care about American sports

Online oojason

• The Official RAWK Audio Visual God. Founder Member of the Ricky Gervais' 'David Brad Fan Club'.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • The Awkward Squad
'Anfield's Greatest Comeback: In the players' own words | Liverpool 4-0 Barcelona - 5 minute video from LFC:-

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/zeiAUvbnhkU" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/zeiAUvbnhkU</a>

« Last Edit: August 15, 2020, 12:14:07 am by oojason »
Some 'Useful Info' for following the football + TV, Streams, Highlights & Replays etc - www.redandwhitekop.com/forum/index.php?topic=345769

A mini-index of RAWK's 'Liverpool Audio / Video Thread' content over the years; & more - www.redandwhitekop.com/forum/index.php?topic=345769.msg17787576#msg17787576

Offline kavah

• the Blacksmith. Definitely NOT from Blackpool!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
I just heard him interviewed so I had to go looking for this magnificent piece. It’s poetic and prosaic, and I don’t mean unimaginative, but his use of the commonplace to explain the extraordinary.

And what a game it was - the best game ever

Liverpool vs Barcelona: An Anfield miracle transcribed from the pages of pure fantasy

This was a night when Anfield heaved with the heft of the impossible, when a crowd of thousands and an audience of millions lost itself in the mad, dangerous intoxication of football

Jonathan Liew
    Anfield @jonathanliew

Liverpool win a corner on the right. There’s a roar as Trent Alexander-Arnold jogs over to take it. Then, before he can deliver, it, there’s another roar, this time louder. Fifty yards away, on the edge of the centre circle, Lionel Messi is wagging his finger angrily at Andy Robertson.

Barcelona are 3-0 up on aggregate. A ninth Champions League final is seemingly theirs for the taking. And yet the greatest footballer the world has seen is being riled by a left-back from Giffnock in Glasgow. We’ve played one minute, and already the night is shaking with possibility.

---

This is Liverpool’s gift: to rip up what you thought you knew about football and footballers, to take you – mentally and physically – to a place you don’t know and never wanted to go. To make your eardrums ring and your sinuses twang and your heart thump to the point where it’s all you can think about. To the point where you start to question yourself. To the point where you don’t realise you’ve left a massive gap in your left channel until it’s just a fraction of a second too late.

Barcelona know there’s no Mo Salah to contend with tonight, so perhaps unconsciously they’ve tacked right in anticipation of the threat of Sadio Mane. Jordi Alba doesn’t normally misplace headers, but this time he does. Jordan Henderson doesn’t normally find himself in the penalty area snacking on loose balls, but this time he does. Divock Origi doesn’t normally start at all, but this time he is. We’ve played seven minutes, Liverpool are 1-0 up, and there’s not a soul in the world who can tell you how this is going to turn out.

---

Jurgen Klopp loves his players taking long shots. There’s a school of thought that the long shot is a low-percentage effort that rarely results in a goal and often needlessly squanders possession in a promising area. But while long shots may register low on the xG (expected goals) scale, they rank high on the xG (expected gasps) scale. You can whistle one just over the bar. You can rattle the post. You can force the goalkeeper into an acrobatic save and win a corner. Occasionally, you can even score.

Or, more likely, the ball hits someone. And in that pregnant pocket of time when the ball runs loose and is spinning furiously and unpredictably on its axis, it doesn’t really matter who you are. Whether you were born in Bootle or Buenos Aires or in a giant Nasa football laboratory, hatched from an incubated ostrich egg and raised by benevolent droid servant. For that fraction of a second, it’s about speed and sharpness, and hunger, and often blind stupid luck. Robertson’s shot spins wickedly wide, but not before Ter Stegen has scrambled desperately to his right, his career choices flashing portentously before him.
==

The rest of the first half passes in something of a blur. At least, that’s probably what it feels like if you’re in Barcelona yellow. Ter Stegen larrups the ball straight out of play. Nobody has seen Philippe Coutinho for about half an hour and his parents are beginning to get worried. Messi gets the ball 14 yards out with the goal at his mercy, and doesn’t score, doesn’t miss, doesn’t force a save, but loses the ball. Just as simply and as carelessly as if it were a 5p coin slipping through a hole in his pocket. If Barcelona didn’t already know something funny was happening, they do now.

Half-time comes and goes. The Liverpool supporters sip contentedly on their teas. There’s no point witnessing a footballing miracle, after all, if you haven’t got a cuppa to enjoy it with. Barcelona trot out after the break, meanwhile, with their senses restored. It’s been a tough half, but they still lead 3-1 in the tie. Slow the game, keep the ball, see out the next 15 minutes, and the storm will pass.

What they don’t realise is that they’re in the eye of it.

---

Luis Suarez is staring into space. To describe it as a thousand-yard stare would be to undersell it by an order of magnitude. Such is the sunkenness of his eyes, the emptiness of his glare, the blankness of his features, it wouldn’t be a surprise if he could see straight into his front room in Uruguay. From his expression alone, you wouldn’t know if he were watching a nuclear mushroom cloud, Churchill’s declaration of war on Germany or a video on dental etiquette.

What’s just happened is that Gini Wijnaldum has headed Liverpool into a 3-0 lead on the night. Once again, this is a scenario that has been transcribed from the pages of pure fantasy. Jordi Alba doesn’t normally get tackled in his own corner, but this time he does. Ter Stegen doesn’t normally let shots squirm under his arm, but this time he does. Clement Lenglet doesn’t normally lose his man in the area, but this time he does. Gini Wijnaldum doesn’t normally score at all. He has one Champions League goal in his entire Liverpool career. Now he has two in the space of two minutes.

From the moment his plane touched down in England, Suarez has been the focus of Liverpool’s rage. The torrent of boos had begun even before a ball had been kicked. Just the mere proximity of Suarez to the ball at kick-off was enough to bring Anfield out in paroxysms of hate. “F--- off, Suarez,” they chant at him during the first half as he wins a soft free-kick on the edge of the Liverpool area.

Suarez can take all this. In a way, there’s a part of him that relishes it. The baring of teeth, the saliva-flecked invective, the jeers and the derision: this is all collateral damage, the simple cost of doing business in a game that must be won at all costs. If the opposition are directing their anger at him, then he’s doing his job. But what he’s feeling now is something far deeper and unfamiliar: real pain. Liverpool are 3-0 up, and nobody in the stadium could care less about him in that moment.

---

Well, the fourth goal. What on earth is there to be said about the fourth goal? Only that if you had sat Barcelona’s players down in the dressing room before the game and told them that not only would they lose 4-0, but that the fourth goal would be scored while half of them were looking in the other direction, they’d give you an extremely strange look.

Football is a game of systems and tactics. Football is a game of formbooks and numbers. Football is a game hopelessly rigged in favour of those with existing advantage. That’s all true, but equally you can’t line up this Barcelona team against this Liverpool team – no Salah, no Firmino, dealt a hammer blow in the Premier League less than 24 hours earlier – and argue a four-goal disparity between them. You can’t analyse that final goal on Wyscout. And you can’t explain how Barcelona – the best team in the world, with perhaps the best player ever to draw breath – can capitulate as comprehensively as this.

The weeks ahead will be full of hustle and bustle. There’s a Premier League title to be won and lost. There’s Madrid, there’s Ajax or Tottenham, there’s hours of scrabbling around on Expedia and Skyscanner and WhatsApp trying to find a bed or a floor to kip on. But when the curtain comes down on this season, and for many years to come, Liverpool fans will bond over the belief and the disbelief of this night. “The Barcelona game,” they’ll say, and that’ll be all they need to say. A night when Anfield heaved with the heft of the impossible, when a crowd of thousands and an audience of millions lost itself in the mad, dangerous intoxication of football.

https://www.independent.co.uk/sport/football/european/liverpool-barcelona-divock-origi-georginio-wijnaldum-goals-champions-league-final-result-latest-a8903876.html

Offline soxfan

• inebriated gonad donor (rejected) and Sperm Whale Milker (also rejected). Left-handed, shit-headed, non-fascist recidivist disappointer of women everywhere - on both drier and ranier days......rejects own eyebrows, the vain banana-hammock-wearin' get
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
“Do not intermingle with people who act like 'they know it all'. If you do, you will wind up as lost and lonely as they are.”
― Christine Szymanski

Offline Samie

• The next Pharaoh of Egypt. The Ev of drafting! Rumoured to be the 7th, we may need that old magic back! The Timekeeper, ask him what time the action starts.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Roma cracked them
Liverpool broke them
Bayern buried them
« Last Edit: August 14, 2020, 11:54:14 pm by Samie »

Offline newterp

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Roma cracked them
Liverpool broke them
Bayern buried them

Haha so true

Offline Samie

• The next Pharaoh of Egypt. The Ev of drafting! Rumoured to be the 7th, we may need that old magic back! The Timekeeper, ask him what time the action starts.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan

Thanks mate, you think I should put that on a banner?  :D

Offline Passmaster Molby

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Would love to see that draped over the Nou Camp or on a sign outside the Barcelona tourist board office 😋

Offline elbow

• grease
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Boss Tha
I chuckled when I saw this bumped today.

We ruined them that night.
We are Liverpool!

Offline Red Beret

• Legacy Fan
Roma and Liverpool completely destroyed any fear factor over FC Messi.  Bayern knew they were there for the taking and they took them.  And took them and took them and took them. 

Then took them some more. 

Then once again, just for shits and giggles.

Popcorn's Art

Offline Reeves

• Back from the dead. Bit simples.
  • Legacy Fan
  • "THE DISTANCE BETWEEN INSANITY AND GENIUS.........
    • RAWK
What an article that is above.
..........IS MEASURED ONLY BY SUCCESS"

RAWK - HJC Champions 2003
Former RAWK Scribe 2002 - 2004

Offline FLRed67

• Legacy Fan
When they write about Messi, many years from now, they will talk about the quarter-final against Bayern.

But we know better.

It was the Magnificent Donkey who broke him. And his team. On that enchanted evening, in May.

Offline mikeb58

• The Poet Laureate of the Hillsborough forum and indeed, now, the rest of the site! Allez, allez, allez......
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • kopite
After the 1st leg and they missed that late chance, they feared the worst. That's how much they feared a trip to our place, even at  3-0 up they knew it was not over by a long shot.
Hillsborough...Our Greatest Victory (out now)