Author Topic: A future without Steven Gerrard  (Read 44650 times)

Offline fowler9_god

• Kopite
  • And could he play!
A future without Steven Gerrard
« on: March 4, 2012, 08:39:06 am »
Being blunt and trying to be as honest as I can be, one of the major mistakes we are making as a club is that we still have Steven Gerrard in our central plans.

One of the major issue has been his lack of fitness. Our first choice CM partnership was perhaps Gerrard and Lucas. With Adam, Henderson and Spearing filling in. We could line up in variety of ways with such options. 2 class midfielders, backed by a promising youngster, A chance creator and a game breaker in Adam and an academy graduate in Spearing. The idea was right, we could have played the diamond, or even a lopsided midfield with such options. The problem has been that when one of your 2 class midfielders in constantly injured, the others play much more than it was in the plans of the management. Now with Lucas's freak injury it has meant that our first choice pairing has never even got a game together. But whose fault is it? It's the management for keeping an injury prone player in their main plans. 

It's time to make a decision about Gerrard. Of course he is past his sell by date now. So he'd be in the squad with us, he has done very well for the club as well, but football isn't a game about being sentimental. We need to buy a player who can directly replace Gerrard in the side. Not buy a player who can replace him in 2-3 years time. But a direct replacement next summer. Whatever we get out of Gerrard should be treated as a bonus now. But to have a player, who is so constantly injured, and have him in the central plans is criminal.

Time to make a choice and thank the old guard who are injury prone or way past it and move on as a club.  We have been guilty of being overtly sentimental and it is costing us. A Liverpool captain should start most games in the season. Not go and play for his national side and come back injured every time.
Justice for the 96

Offline woof

• Barking up the wrong tree.
  • Legacy Fan
Re: A future without Steven Gerrard
« Reply #1 on: March 4, 2012, 08:43:59 am »
Unfortunately, it'll be very hard to replace him because no one comes close to doing what he does at his prime. He's a rare breed of midfielders who can do everything - defend, attack & score goals.

No one in the current squad is good enough to lace up his shoes let alone replace him. Adam is a stop gap. Hendo will need to do a lot better if he wants to be even considered as a possible Stevie G replacement. We need a new CM

Online ScouserAtHeart

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Pissing Manc "fans" off since 1999.
« Reply #2 on: March 4, 2012, 08:58:35 am »
Obviously there's no replacement. There never will be. Just like there was no replacement when Kenny retired.

BUT the one player who comes close to having his attributes is Javi Martinez. Still young, room for growth. Of course, whether he'll end up here depends on if we break the bank.
"Jürgen Klopp is bringing Liverpool's 'fuck you' back. And I can't wait."

Offline decosabute

• ...and so am I. Abu Dhabi correspondent
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #3 on: March 4, 2012, 08:59:44 am »
Without trying to sound ungrateful for the absolutely immense contribution he's made to the club, I totally agree with this and wanted to start a similar topic myself.

I'm also of the opinion now as well (after watching one of our best attacking performances of the season v Arsenal) that the team arguably plays better without Gerrard as others are forced to take more responsilbility. This was evidenced by Henderson stepping up a bit yesterday and I think it was also the case last season when Lucas went from strength-to-strength in Gerrard's absence.

Sad to say, but it's not just the injuries either - his performances have dipped massively since Alonso left, and aside from his brilliant 30 minutes v Newcastle after Christmas, he hasn't really looked like himself this season either. The frustrating thing for me is that in the aforementioned Newcastle game, he really looked like he did in 08/09 - breaking into the box, pinpoint crossing, brilliant finishing, the lot. Unfortunately, since then he now seems to have reverted to this deeper role, in which he simply can't be as effective as he never really had the Alonso/Xavi/Scholes-like intelligence to knit the play together. Whether he's playing there because he doesn't trust his ability to attack anymore, or whether he just doesn't trust who we have playing in the middle I don't know. He was always best for me as a devastating weapon in the final third.

Hopefully he'll accept a reduced role going forward (like Giggs and Scholes at Utd) and Kenny will have the guts to drop/rotate him. For my money, Shelvey looks like he has the tools to be a like-for-like replacement for Gerrard in the future, albeit probably not to the same level due to his inferior pace. Either way, I think that it's time to be unsentimental, look past the name on the shirt, and do what's best for the team.

And please don't slate me for saying this cos he's been a legend - I'm well aware of that and fully appreciative of everything he's done for the club in his career. I'm just saying that we have to face up to reality and build for a future without him.
« Last Edit: March 4, 2012, 09:01:34 am by decosabute »

Offline TLW 84

• Kopite
« Reply #4 on: March 4, 2012, 09:00:34 am »
In the side when he's fit, as simple as. And as woof says, it's very difficult to buy a replacement. There have been other players who we haven't directly replaced over the years, particularly creative players. It would take a fair few quid.

Offline Solomon Grundy

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • LFC - Living rent-free in the heads of our rivals
« Reply #5 on: March 4, 2012, 09:04:01 am »
Unfortunately, it'll be very hard to replace him because no one comes close to doing what he does at his prime. He's a rare breed of midfielders who can do everything - defend, attack & score goals.

No one in the current squad is good enough to lace up his shoes let alone replace him. Adam is a stop gap. Hendo will need to do a lot better if he wants to be even considered as a possible Stevie G replacement. We need a new CM

Shelvey is the closest we've got to Stevie and he cant even get a game.

Offline Andy @ Allerton!

• Missing an asterisk - no, wait sorry, that's his rusty starfish..... RAWK Apple fanboy. Hedley Lamarr's bestest mate. Has done nothing incredible ever.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Asterisks baby!
« Reply #6 on: March 4, 2012, 09:05:36 am »
I hope that once he goes that we don't build a team around a single player. The best teams (Like us in the 70s and 80s) always have a TEAM rather than a central player. We need to not make this mistake again.
Quote from: tubby on Today at 12:45:53 pm

They both went in high, that's factually correct, both tried to play the ball at height.  Doku with his foot, Mac Allister with his chest.

Offline Solomon Grundy

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • LFC - Living rent-free in the heads of our rivals
« Reply #7 on: March 4, 2012, 09:06:32 am »
Obviously there's no replacement. There never will be. Just like there was no replacement when Kenny retired.

BUT the one player who comes close to having his attributes is Javi Martinez. Still young, room for growth. Of course, whether he'll end up here depends on if we break the bank.

Id love him here, Rafa should signed him instead of Aquilani. But he'll be too expensive for us now, plus plenty of CL team's will be after his services aswell.

Online Hazell

• Ultimate Movie Night Draft Winner 2017. King - or Queen - of Mystery. Hyzenthlay. The 5th Benitle's sex conch.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #8 on: March 4, 2012, 09:10:35 am »
Been thinking this for while now, Gerrard shouldn't be central to our plans and we should be concentrating on our younger players. If Gerrard is fit, then fine but we should be building a team strong enough without him. Unfortunately, I don't think that's the case, at least it wasn't last summer.
We have to change from doubter to believer. Now.

Offline Kopite B205

• Loves Siemen. And Judge Judy. But not at the same time.
  • Legacy Fan
  • In my life, we've won them all.
« Reply #9 on: March 4, 2012, 09:11:24 am »
Shelvey is the closest we've got to Stevie and he cant even get a game.

You really believe that?
Liverpool was made for me and I was made for Liverpool.

Offline decosabute

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #10 on: March 4, 2012, 09:13:31 am »
I think Shelvey's more than good enough for this team. The kid looks like he has no fear and showed in his loan spell at Blackpool there's plenty of goalscoring ability.

Offline TLW 84

• Kopite
« Reply #11 on: March 4, 2012, 09:17:14 am »
I hope that once he goes that we don't build a team around a single player. The best teams (Like us in the 70s and 80s) always have a TEAM rather than a central player. We need to not make this mistake again.
I think it was more of a case of him just standing out. If he had gone to Chelsea for a record fee for example, I don't think they would have built the side around him because the quality would already have been there.

Offline JamesLS7

• Kopite
  • Rafa Is My Hero.
« Reply #12 on: March 4, 2012, 09:21:50 am »

We didnt build around Stevie. Thats the bloody problem.

We had, for my money, the best player in the world at one stage, and instead of building round him we let him carry the damn team.

Rafa did as well as he could trying to build a team around Stevie, and got pretty close with Alonso, Mash, Torres etc, but then that team got stripped apart due to the cancers.
When discussing Dirk Kuyt's work rate :

I don't think he works as hard as some people claim. No harder, for example, than Stewart Downing.

18 League Titles and 5 European Cups. Get counting.

Offline GodIsBack

• Kemlynite
« Reply #13 on: March 4, 2012, 09:25:52 am »
100% right a player needs to be bought that is young that can no not only replace him in yrs to come but can step up to the plate straigt away aswell. And again there is no-one like Gerrard in football. But there are young midfielders out there I would be glad  to see at Liverpool.
Hazard. Eriksson. Martinez.Lamela and Gotze.
Ideally would love Martiniez and one of the others
Merseyside derbies usually last 90 minutes and I'm sure today's won't be any different

Offline JamesLS7

• Kopite
  • Rafa Is My Hero.
« Reply #14 on: March 4, 2012, 09:32:06 am »
Our replacement is sitting in the reserves right now.

His name is Suso. He may not be as roy of the rovers as Stevie was, but he can be the next Davild Silva.

Add him in with players like Sterling and the future looks bright. We may not have a stevie type character to carry us on his back, but hopefully we won't eed that. If we do, then its a disgrace as the pressure put on this man was was disgraceful

I don't think he works as hard as some people claim. No harder, for example, than Stewart Downing.

Offline decosabute

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #15 on: March 4, 2012, 09:35:15 am »
There's no doubt we have some quality in the reserves, and so the medium to long term looks promising, but I think it's fair to say that if we want to make the next step sooner rather than later we need somebody in the Summer who's ready now.

Offline DutchRed

• Legacy Fan
  • =
« Reply #16 on: March 4, 2012, 09:40:28 am »
Our replacement is sitting in the reserves right now.

His name is Suso. He may not be as roy of the rovers as Stevie was, but he can be the next Davild Silva.

Add him in with players like Sterling and the future looks bright. We may not have a stevie type character to carry us on his back, but hopefully we won't eed that. If we do, then its a disgrace as the pressure put on this man was was disgraceful

You have to consider that Suso(or Silva) are nowhere near as all-round as Stevie.
It's just sex and violence, melody and silence.

Offline BobbyDavro

• can't skate
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #17 on: March 4, 2012, 09:43:53 am »
10 PRINT he's not a central midfielder
20 PRINT he's not a central midfielder
30 PRINT he's not a central midfielder
40 GO TO 10

Remember this again and we might still have a great player for another season or two.
But the central point still stands, we need to be finding a replacement.

Offline redk84

• (and nothing else!)
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • why must we always do things the hard way?
« Reply #18 on: March 4, 2012, 09:45:33 am »
A team is what Kenny was trying to build last summer. One that wouldn't have to be relying on Steven Gerrard....like the one which was basically cleared out last summer.

A frustrating league campaign has been amplified beyond belief because of the £100 million used to buy these new players. Forgetting net spend for a second...

There may have been some doubts on certain players but i dont think anyone would have expected the lack of consistancy shown by Carroll and Downing especially...Adam and Henderson to a lesser extent....and Kuyt, Maxi, Suarez (in front of goal at least) for this long......and all simultaneously. Kenny has to take blame for his selections/subs at times too.

Gerrard has missed half a season also. which no-one expected. So the future referred to in the topic title has already been witnessed this season.

so what am i getting at? well....its easy to say spend a £100 million and expect results. if you dont get it you should be disappointed.

But its not that simple....Spurs invested and played together for years before they had the stability they have now.....City spent much more than us and didnt cut it straight away.....i mentioned this in the post match thread yesterday.

You would have expected because we bought british and/or prem proven the ability to adapt would be easy. well it wasn't....and no matter where we finish at the end of this season, they would have had a year's experience together, with and without Gerrard....aclimatised to the pressures/time to reflect also etc. Which is good!

Next season there is no excuse....a MARKED improvement is not alot to ask for from everyone of these players....the defence have been brilliant this year but they may not be as good in the next....honestly if these attacking players play to their own potential (limited as they may be)......an extra 10-15 points should be expected compared to what we have now.
That would be without replacing any players that may want to leave (im suspecting none of the new players brought in will leave this summer)

I realise we have the same points as last season right now. Outside Liverpool people would use this as an extra reason why we were so UNFAIR to Hodgson...blah blah. But frustration aside......finishing aside.....our overall play is miles better than last season (Kenny honeymoon period aside, where the performances were similar but obviously the finishing was better last season). And we're surely better than the season before last too....

We defend better, we pass better (for the most part)...we create many more chances which SHOULD be converted. That is why thinking more clearly this morning, if the season were to end now i wouldn't be as disapointed. But hey thats me....im sure people will have a different view.

I wanted 4th minimum this season. So i am disappointed.....but a carling cup, meaning Europa qualification AND a quarter final (at least) in the FA cup has meant progress has been made this season.

And going back to the issue of this topic.....we've seen the worst, the most unpredictable the team can be without Gerrard in the first full season of this new-look Liverpool. It can only get better....especially with summer additions.

P.S A creative midfielder in the modric/silva mould.....and a striker = my shopping list this summer. Maybe a right winger too and some defensive cover. Most money on the striker. I won't be disappointed if we dont spend huge amounts.......less pressure and being seen as an outsider for fourth next season will be a bonus in my eyes.

P.P.S i wold have much preferred to post this analysis in the thread for fourth place which is locked? so sorry if i went abit off topic....
All Those Who Have A Red Heart Can Rejoice.
For They Have Seen GOD.

Offline itsgunnabebarnes!

• Neghead. hard and gagging. Will never be Barnes
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #19 on: March 4, 2012, 10:26:46 am »
The fact is when he plays central midfield he gets bossed by journeymen. He is poor there, and very wasteful with ball. He should be on the right simple.
'Tramps like us, baby we were born to run!'

Offline JamesLS7

• Kopite
  • Rafa Is My Hero.
« Reply #20 on: March 4, 2012, 10:27:47 am »
You have to consider that Suso(or Silva) are nowhere near as all-round as Stevie.

No, but hopefully we wont have to have them be as all round as Gerrard as we will have other players to do the jobs that stevie was forced to do when carrying the team on his own

Offline Il Capitano

• Forza Liverpool. This thing of ours...
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #21 on: March 4, 2012, 10:36:41 am »
To get the best out of Gerrard, he needs to fuck off England and start playing behind the striker again.

Offline Zlen

• Suspicious of systems. But getting lots.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #22 on: March 4, 2012, 10:37:16 am »
How we wen't from being overstocked in midfield last summer to playing Gerrard there because there's nobody else is beyond me. Gerrard also needs to be told that he has a choice of dumping England or accepting a reduced contract.

Offline youll never walk alone it

• Can no longer walk alone as he has whiplash... or that's what his insurer thinks
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #23 on: March 4, 2012, 10:39:21 am »
dont have to replace him like for like,  keep hearing that stat we havent won any league game hes started this season.
Im drunk  but i havent had  a drink!  bob paisley after rome 77                The times i had here wernt all great, we only  finished 2nd one  season....the great  bob paisley

when shanks was asked  how he relaxed,  he said  he looks at the league table and checks where everton are...

Offline JamesLS7

• Kopite
  • Rafa Is My Hero.
« Reply #24 on: March 4, 2012, 10:39:35 am »
How we wen't from being overstocked in midfield last summer to playing Gerrard there because there's nobody else is beyond me. Gerrard also needs to be told that he has a choice of dumping England or accepting a reduced contract.

Because we decided Raul should leave as he was asking for a wage rise.

And we decided Aqua would be competing with Gerrard for his spot.

Lucas

Gerrard - Aquilani.

With Henderson, Shelvey, Adam, Raul and Spearing in reserve would have been brilliant.

Offline CHOPPER

• Bad Tranny with a Chopper. Hello John gotta new Mitre? I'm Jim Davidson in disguise. Undercover Cop (Grammar Division). Does Louis Spence. Well. A giga-c*nt worth of nothing in particular. Hodgson apologist. Astronomical cock. Hug Jacket Distributor
  • Legacy Fan
  • Super Title: Not Arsed
« Reply #25 on: March 4, 2012, 10:54:02 am »
'A future without Steven Gerrard'..... Sounds more like you want him out now.

Funny thing is, maybe with the exception of City who have a squad to rival virtually anyone across Europe, he'd get into and play regularly for every team in the prem

Be careful what you wish for, it may just come true.
@ Veinticinco de Mayo The way you talk to other users on this forum is something you should be ashamed of as someone who is suppose to be representing the site.
Martin Kenneth Wild - Part of a family

Offline Zawsze Red!

• Kemlynite
« Reply #26 on: March 4, 2012, 10:54:10 am »
Gerrard is still now even old more talent than 95% of midfielders in Premier League but it is necessary to find way to play for him.  Here we can receive lesson from Italian clubs Milan and Juventus and (I sorry) MUFC, which keep old players but do not play all time and change how to play for them.  I think Gerrard is not for a two midfield but can play in three if there are two strong midfielder with him, like when Rafa (one of best tactical managers in Europe) plays Alonso and Mascherano with Gerrard. Then there is freedom for Gerrard and he has possibility of make goals and score goals. I think also Suarez will be happy with this system because Gerrard is very intelligent player to play with.  Also Gerrard can take free kicks, penalties and corner kicks, yesterday this was terrible horrible mess for us.

Also Gerrard has no league medal, this is terrible for him to finish career without league medal so must stay in squad until title is back to Anfield! Even if this takes very long time.
« Last Edit: March 4, 2012, 10:56:45 am by Zawsze Red! »

Offline Rafaroy

• Main Stander
  • RED4EVER YNWA
« Reply #27 on: March 4, 2012, 11:01:07 am »
The sooner Stevie retires from the England set up the better. Even if we find a player of his statur, not playing for England will increase his playing time for us. This could be from the start or coming of the bench.

Offline decosabute

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #28 on: March 4, 2012, 11:01:28 am »
I think Gerrard is not for a two midfield but can play in three if there are two strong midfielder with him, like when Rafa (one of best tactical managers in Europe) plays Alonso and Mascherano with Gerrard. Then there is freedom for Gerrard and he has possibility of make goals and score goals. I think also Suarez will be happy with this system because Gerrard is very intelligent player to play with.  Also Gerrard can take free kicks, penalties and corner kicks, yesterday this was terrible horrible mess for us.

I agree with this in principle, but even when he's played as part of a 3 in midfield this season he hasn't been breaking forward as much as in the past. It's like he doesn't trust the other centre mids enough to do the spade work so he keeps dropping back alongside them. This wasn't the case with Alonso and Masch as he knew they were top class and they let him off the leash. If you want to have him ahead of a midfield pair, doing what he does best, then you have to make sure they're damn good players. Charie Adam ain't that.

Offline decky

• Legacy Fan
  • DOYA
    • I play in a band you know
« Reply #29 on: March 4, 2012, 11:04:11 am »
Should only play in the hole behind the striker(s) or on the right IMO. Unfortunately with Lucas out and a lack of depth in that position he has to sacrifice himself for the team

Online Eeyore

• "I have no problem whatsoever stating that FSG have done a good job.".Mo Money, Mo Problems to invent. Number 1 is Carragher. Number 2 is Carragher. Number 3 is Carragher. Number 4 is Carragher. Likes to play God in his spare time.
  • Campaigns
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT 97
« Reply #30 on: March 4, 2012, 11:08:09 am »
If Carragher is still getting games in the condition he is in now then Gerrard probably has another three or fours minimum left as a guaranteed starter. Gerrard new deal runs for another two and a half seasons and he will almost certainly want another one after that. Fenway have made it clear that Gerrard is signed up for life so I think this thread may be a little premature.

I think we are getting far too carried away with this table.

When for the next three or four years this table will be of far more important to certain people.

Playing Gerrard on the right or in behind the Striker might win us more games and get us in the Champions League it might even get us into title contention but it won't get him into the 700 appearances and it is unlikely to help Gerrard get 100 Caps for England. When you get older and your fitness levels inevitably dip then the natural progression is to drop into deeper positions and more central positions where physical qualities are less important than experience and technical qualities.

After all Steven Gerrard has given for the Club, for all those competitions he has won single handedly surely it's not asking too much too allow Steven to finish his career in the manner that suits him. Is it really too much to ask for the Club to put it's ambitions on hold for three or four years until we repay the immense debt we owe to Steven Gerrard.
« Last Edit: March 4, 2012, 11:11:12 am by Al 555 »
"Ohhh-kayyy"

Offline JamesLS7

• Kopite
  • Rafa Is My Hero.
« Reply #31 on: March 4, 2012, 11:11:32 am »

Gerrard is still one of our best players. We should play him where he plays best and thats behind the striker. We are wasting him having him sit deep.

Offline Mutton Geoff

• 'The Invigilator'
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Life is a journey, not a destination.
« Reply #32 on: March 4, 2012, 11:12:57 am »
'A future without Steven Gerrard'..... Sounds more like you want him out now.

Funny thing is, maybe with the exception of City who have a squad to rival virtually anyone across Europe, he'd get into and play regularly for every team in the prem

Be careful what you wish for, it may just come true.

I dont look at it as anyone wants him gone however you have to start planning for when he is gone now.

Shankly regretted not planning ahead and sticking to his old guard for way too long, Paisley never made the same mistake of allowing loyalty to a player to cloud his judgement and harm the team,  the OP I feel is only following Bob's ruthless club comes first doctrine.

Everyman and his dog can see that Stevie will have to adapt his game to get in a few more seasons that I want to see him in our shirt.  He will not keep his high energy style game going without persistent niggles and strains throughout each season, so if we want him to be effective for the club he needs to play with his head and let some of the younger players do some of his running for him such as Giggs did a few years ago.

So please dont regard any comments about Stevie's future as a personal attack on him rather than a realistic approach to the next few seasons, to defend him blindly would be neglecting the clubs needs.

Mellowing and Retired, and stayed around long enough to watch the Tories implode

Offline CHOPPER

• Bad Tranny with a Chopper. Hello John gotta new Mitre? I'm Jim Davidson in disguise. Undercover Cop (Grammar Division). Does Louis Spence. Well. A giga-c*nt worth of nothing in particular. Hodgson apologist. Astronomical cock. Hug Jacket Distributor
  • Legacy Fan
  • Super Title: Not Arsed
« Reply #33 on: March 4, 2012, 11:22:50 am »
I dont look at it as anyone wants him gone however you have to start planning for when he is gone now.

Shankly regretted not planning ahead and sticking to his old guard for way too long, Paisley never made the same mistake of allowing loyalty to a player to cloud his judgement and harm the team,  the OP I feel is only following Bob's ruthless club comes first doctrine.

Everyman and his dog can see that Stevie will have to adapt his game to get in a few more seasons that I want to see him in our shirt.  He will not keep his high energy style game going without persistent niggles and strains throughout each season, so if we want him to be effective for the club he needs to play with his head and let some of the younger players do some of his running for him such as Giggs did a few years ago.

So please dont regard any comments about Stevie's future as a personal attack on him rather than a realistic approach to the next few seasons, to defend him blindly would be neglecting the clubs needs.

The sentiment in the OP stinks of get him out now. Obviously the club has to think ahead, it's stupid for anyone to think otherwise.

Gerrard still has a lot to offer, and for England as well to be fair. We'd all love him to concentrate on us, but that won't happen and it's not just with him, thats the same for any player, they all want to play for their country and as much as I'd prefer that he never, it's folly to think that he's going to drop it all when he still has a lot to offer. The lad will call it a day when he as well as the England camp think he's not ready, that may even be the same time as Liverpool do, but it isn't any time soon and thats a fact.

@ Veinticinco de Mayo The way you talk to other users on this forum is something you should be ashamed of as someone who is suppose to be representing the site.
Martin Kenneth Wild - Part of a family

Online Eeyore

• "I have no problem whatsoever stating that FSG have done a good job.".Mo Money, Mo Problems to invent. Number 1 is Carragher. Number 2 is Carragher. Number 3 is Carragher. Number 4 is Carragher. Likes to play God in his spare time.
  • Campaigns
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT 97
« Reply #34 on: March 4, 2012, 11:24:24 am »

Gerrard is still one of our best players. We should play him where he plays best and thats behind the striker. We are wasting him having him sit deep.

For me he should be used in the way United have used Giggs for the last three or four years. We could wait decades to get a player with the quality that Gerrard has in the final third, he really is that special. Why waste a Picasso emulsioning ceilings in the midfield when we could have him painting masterpieces in the final third.

The biggest problem is that once something gets into Gerrard's head it takes a hell of a lot of shifting. Instead of looking to play every game Gerrard should be rested kept fully fit and unleashed on the opposition. Fifty games a year painting ceilings until his body collapses or 25-30 games a season for the next half a decade terrorising defences for me it's a no brainer.

Midfield water carriers are ten a penny Steven Gerrard in the final third is priceless. 
"Ohhh-kayyy"

Offline Zawsze Red!

• Kemlynite
« Reply #35 on: March 4, 2012, 11:25:25 am »
I agree with this in principle, but even when he's played as part of a 3 in midfield this season he hasn't been breaking forward as much as in the past. It's like he doesn't trust the other centre mids enough to do the spade work so he keeps dropping back alongside them. This wasn't the case with Alonso and Masch as he knew they were top class and they let him off the leash. If you want to have him ahead of a midfield pair, doing what he does best, then you have to make sure they're damn good players. Charie Adam ain't that.
This is true, Charlie Adam is footballer with big limitation, he is OK for Blackpool or small club in top ten like Everton but this is not quality for Liverpool!  Spearing is much less experience but plays like older player with good position and reaction to play, I think Spearing and Lucas is stronger pair as doble pivot.  In modern football less important is strong physical characteristic and more is how to use ball and intelligence positions of players during phase without ball, especial to be able to use short pass and give and go when opposition is pressing.  Such player is for example Joe Allen for Swansea, this would be great player for us and not expensive and Gerrard will be back to old style with clever and technical midfield there. 

Offline decosabute

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #36 on: March 4, 2012, 11:29:05 am »

Playing Gerrard on the right or in behind the Striker might win us more games and get us in the Champions League it might even get us into title contention but it won't get him into the 700 appearances and it is unlikely to help Gerrard get 100 Caps for England. When you get older and your fitness levels inevitably dip then the natural progression is to drop into deeper positions and more central positions where physical qualities are less important than experience and technical qualities.

After all Steven Gerrard has given for the Club, for all those competitions he has won single handedly surely it's not asking too much too allow Steven to finish his career in the manner that suits him. Is it really too much to ask for the Club to put it's ambitions on hold for three or four years until we repay the immense debt we owe to Steven Gerrard.

I'll assume this is taking the piss, at least I sure hope so. Team comes first - always.

If Carragher is still getting games in the condition he is in now then Gerrard probably has another three or fours minimum left as a guaranteed starter. Gerrard new deal runs for another two and a half seasons and he will almost certainly want another one after that. Fenway have made it clear that Gerrard is signed up for life so I think this thread may be a little premature.

I still agree that Gerrard can be a great weapon played further up the pitch, but anyone who thinks he's a guaranteed starter, irrespective of the undeniable decline in his ability, is deluded. Players should be picked on form alone. I'd love Gerrard to play brilliantly, but the simple fact is he hasn't for nearly 3 seasons now. The fact that he's been brilliant in the past alone shouldn't even be guaranteeing him starting now, let alone 3 or 4 years from now.

Offline TLW 84

• Kopite
« Reply #37 on: March 4, 2012, 11:36:46 am »
For me he should be used in the way United have used Giggs for the last three or four years. We could wait decades to get a player with the quality that Gerrard has in the final third, he really is that special. Why waste a Picasso emulsioning ceilings in the midfield when we could have him painting masterpieces in the final third.

The biggest problem is that once something gets into Gerrard's head it takes a hell of a lot of shifting. Instead of looking to play every game Gerrard should be rested kept fully fit and unleashed on the opposition. Fifty games a year painting ceilings until his body collapses or 25-30 games a season for the next half a decade terrorising defences for me it's a no brainer.

Midfield water carriers are ten a penny Steven Gerrard in the final third is priceless.
Rested or coming on later in games to lethal effect, as against Newcastle.

Offline subroc

• cut at you with a clipper? Gas Face given, I beg to differ.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #38 on: March 4, 2012, 11:40:08 am »
It is impossible to replace Gerard like for like - Liverpool has never had a player like him until he came on the scene. We may never see his like again.

But what we can do is to find another AM who is up and coming and who has the potential to reach the Zidane-Gerrard-Rivaldo heights though in a different way.

Offline Not funny reecehenebry

• Pitbull #2. Fanning the flames of debate since 03/06/10.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #39 on: March 4, 2012, 12:00:29 pm »
Valencia are prime examples on how to adapt to losing your best players.

Villa WAS Valencia, then it was Silva, then Mata. Each time they have adapted the way they play, not looking to replace but to change.

If we were totally serious about being top dogs again, we would be looking to sell on Gerrard and Carra, along with Kuyt. The idea that their past actions should allow them to fade slowly in our team is so against the idea's that won this club so much under Bob. It is not the Liverpool Way to allow players fade out in our jerseys.

That is what it takes to be top dogs. It's why the game is called professional, and not Sunday league.
Why are you looking past this season?