Author Topic: World Cup: football & teams discussion, plus in-game comments (no flooding!)  (Read 245104 times)

Offline Nick110581

• Up the tricky reds
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Hearts Jurgen
Re: World Cup: football & teams discussion, plus in-game comments (no flooding!)
« Reply #8640 on: December 7, 2022, 10:06:55 pm »
Not sure they'll go the whole way but I would just about fancy them to beat Argentina. As rafa 83 says below it's Messi having to carry them in every game, they won't get a lot out of some of their other attackers, especially against the top sides. I also think the psychological part will get to them in one game, the pressure, Messi's last chance to win it etc etc.

It would be a bit mad if they did win it, it's obviously not the strongest Dutch side ever, would be great for Van Dijk though.

Quite good odds on them to win too.

I think they will beat Argentina unless others step up to help Messi.

I think France, Portugal and Brazil are all better than Argentina but they can still win it because of one man.
No, jazz. You fear jazz. You fear the lack of rules, the lack of boundaries. Oh look, it's a fence. But, no, it's soft.

Offline JackWard33

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • President of the Harry Wilson fanclub
Re: World Cup: football & teams discussion, plus in-game comments (no flooding!)
« Reply #8641 on: December 7, 2022, 10:12:07 pm »
Think you’re all rating one side of the game - Argentina have had some issues attacking but they’re probably the best defensive team in the tournament.
That’s how they won the copa america so no reason why they can’t win this

Offline Samie

• The Ev of drafting! Rumoured to be the 7th, we may need that old magic back! The Timekeeper, ask him what time the action starts. Measures himself in inches (small is still small, dude!)
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #8642 on: December 7, 2022, 10:12:48 pm »
Morocco say hi to you.  :D

Offline Samie

• The Ev of drafting! Rumoured to be the 7th, we may need that old magic back! The Timekeeper, ask him what time the action starts. Measures himself in inches (small is still small, dude!)
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #8643 on: December 7, 2022, 10:23:01 pm »
https://twitter.com/dw_sports/status/1600545008221929493

Despite an early World Cup exit, Hansi Flick will remain Germany's head coach through Euro 2024 — set to take place in Germany.

Offline McSquared

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #8644 on: December 7, 2022, 11:11:50 pm »
https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/63896720

England "really believe" they can win the World Cup, unlike in 2018, says centre-back Harry Maguire.

That’s that then

Offline Black Bull Nova

• emo
  • Legacy Fan
  • The cheesy side of town
« Reply #8645 on: December 7, 2022, 11:30:23 pm »
Portugal have got some boys in that team, dear Lord. They’re going to be very good for a very long time. They’re churning out beasts all over the shop.

Yes, and the also have Ronaldo, Fernandez, Silva (and Pepe), so a spine of snide bastards as well
aarf, aarf, aarf.

Offline I've been a good boy

• "There are two ways of spreading light; to be the candle or the mirror that receives it." Loves a good set of open flaps. And a bowl of Coco Poops!
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #8646 on: December 7, 2022, 11:39:31 pm »
https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/63896720

England "really believe" they can win the World Cup, unlike in 2018, says centre-back Harry Maguire.

That’s that then
Just reminds me of when Lovren used to give interviews about how we could win everything, only for us to lose the next few games.

Offline Samie

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #8647 on: December 7, 2022, 11:41:15 pm »
But ultimately he was proven right as with him in the squad we did pretty much win everything.  :D

Offline Black Bull Nova

• emo
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #8648 on: December 7, 2022, 11:58:49 pm »
But ultimately he was proven right as with him in the squad we did pretty much win everything.  :D

Hell of a difference between 'in the squad' and 'in the team'

that applies to Maguire in a big way
aarf, aarf, aarf.

Offline Morgana

• Legacy Fan
  • Sanity is overrated.
« Reply #8649 on: December 7, 2022, 11:59:33 pm »

I think France, Portugal and Brazil are all better than Argentina but they can still win it because of one man.
They've been stepping up to help him the whole tournament. A few 2-1 victories last time I checked and Messi only scored once in each. He scored in the Saudi game and they still lost. Goalie Martinez and the defence have also kept them in the tournament.

People need to stop talking/acting like Messi is a solo act and the other 10 players are useless and invisible. He's great, but he's not Zeus.

Think you’re all rating one side of the game - Argentina have had some issues attacking but they’re probably the best defensive team in the tournament.
That’s how they won the copa america so no reason why they can’t win this
Exactly.
« Last Edit: December 8, 2022, 12:04:57 am by Morgana »

Offline Bucko - Dubai

• Anny Roader
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #8650 on: December 8, 2022, 06:14:23 am »

Otamendi?

Offline liverbloke

• Prototype RAWK Genius. Founder of stickysheets.com
  • Legacy Fan
  • i neither know nor care
« Reply #8651 on: December 8, 2022, 08:43:52 am »
They've been stepping up to help him the whole tournament. A few 2-1 victories last time I checked and Messi only scored once in each. He scored in the Saudi game and they still lost. Goalie Martinez and the defence have also kept them in the tournament.

People need to stop talking/acting like Messi is a solo act and the other 10 players are useless and invisible. He's great, but he's not Zeus.
Exactly.

nah you can't overlook that without messi they are an average side

look who they've played so far - saudi arabia poland mexico australia all not exactly world class teams and they lost to one of them

their biggest test is undoubtedly the dutch
Quote from: Lee0-3Liv
Who would have thought liverblokes no draws idea would not be his worst idea of the weekend

Offline Ray K

• Loves a shiny helmet. The new IndyKalia.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Truthiness
« Reply #8652 on: December 8, 2022, 11:43:41 am »
@MiguelDelaney
Luis Enrique leaving the Spain job
"We have to change from doubters to believers"

Twitter: @rjkelly75

Offline rafathegaffa83

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Dutch Class
« Reply #8653 on: December 8, 2022, 12:25:31 pm »
@MiguelDelaney
Luis Enrique leaving the Spain job

Not surprised given how they exited. Supposedly he was telling the media pre-tournament he was the best tactician out of all the other managers at the WC. He also made all the players in the Spanish squad take 1000 penalties in training at their clubs and send the results, which also looks laughable now given how they were knocked out. That said, he'll easily get a top club job.

Offline Samie

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #8654 on: December 8, 2022, 12:27:53 pm »
The Spanish national team board will not hold talks with a coach to replace Luis Enrique right now, but they have Marcelino, De la Fuente and Roberto Martinez on their list.

[@sport]

Offline Chris~

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #8655 on: December 8, 2022, 12:28:56 pm »

Unbelievable failing upwards from Martinez if he gets the Spain job. One of the best at it.
« Last Edit: December 8, 2022, 12:30:35 pm by Chris~ »

Online newterp

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #8656 on: December 8, 2022, 12:37:38 pm »

At his best - Lovren played pretty well for us. Despite his horrific political views - he was a good player.

Offline Ray K

• Loves a shiny helmet. The new IndyKalia.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Truthiness
« Reply #8657 on: December 8, 2022, 01:10:27 pm »

@TheAthleticFC

Spain have promoted Under-21 manager Luis de la Fuente to the top job following Luis Enrique’s exit.

A statement read: “The RFEF has chosen Luis de la Fuente as the new senior national coach to lead the new stage that begins after the World Cup in Qatar.”
"We have to change from doubters to believers"

Twitter: @rjkelly75

Offline Morgana

• Legacy Fan
  • Sanity is overrated.
« Reply #8658 on: December 8, 2022, 02:11:51 pm »
nah you can't overlook that without messi they are an average side

look who they've played so far - saudi arabia poland mexico australia all not exactly world class teams and they lost to one of them

their biggest test is undoubtedly the dutch
I guess this is where we'll have to beg to differ. They are not an "average" side to me at all. I wouldn't even call Morocco "average," and that's with or without Ziyech. The Saudi loss was a fluke... You love to see things like that but it was obvious Argentina underestimated them (esp. after scoring first).  If you argued that Ronaldo is far less important to Portugal's success than Messi is to Argentina's I would agree with you 100% there. But they're a good side and Messi is getting a lot of help from his teammates.

Online Flaccido Dongingo

• Don’t swing at the king!
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #8659 on: December 8, 2022, 02:56:56 pm »
Unbelievable failing upwards from Martinez if he gets the Spain job. One of the best at it.
He'll be in the frame for the Brazil job next

Offline Samie

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #8660 on: December 8, 2022, 03:12:53 pm »
My old man has put a bet on for the Dutch to beat Argies and England to beat the French. My ma would say he's lost the plot now but we're a good few years too late on that count.  :D

Offline afc turkish

• How long for them sausages? Maggie May's Mythical Turkish Delight. RAWK's Expert Sausage Monster! Oakley Cannonier is fucking boss. Likes blowing his friends? Who nose?!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • This looks like a nice spot...
    • Flat Back Four
« Reply #8661 on: December 8, 2022, 03:38:32 pm »
My old man has put a bet on for the Dutch to beat Argies and England to beat the French. My ma would say he's lost the plot now but we're a good few years too late on that count.  :D

How did your ma bet?
Since haste quite Schorsch, but Liverpool are genuine fight pigs...

Offline liverbloke

• Prototype RAWK Genius. Founder of stickysheets.com
  • Legacy Fan
  • i neither know nor care
« Reply #8662 on: December 8, 2022, 03:38:32 pm »
I guess this is where we'll have to beg to differ. They are not an "average" side to me at all. I wouldn't even call Morocco "average," and that's with or without Ziyech. The Saudi loss was a fluke... You love to see things like that but it was obvious Argentina underestimated them (esp. after scoring first).  If you argued that Ronaldo is far less important to Portugal's success than Messi is to Argentina's I would agree with you 100% there. But they're a good side and Messi is getting a lot of help from his teammates.

you do have a point because messi's team mates do work hard within that team - more so than messi - but that hard work doesn't equate to a great team

a decent side then rather than an average one (i'll take that back) but still not at a level where they could be deemed favourites to win this tournament
Quote from: Lee0-3Liv
Who would have thought liverblokes no draws idea would not be his worst idea of the weekend

Offline demain

• ne sait jamais
  • Kopite
  • 'à quoi bon ?'
« Reply #8663 on: December 8, 2022, 05:34:42 pm »
Louis van Gaal:"I am very sorry that Ángel di María once said that I am the worst coach he has ever had. Here next to me sits Memphis. He was also at Manchester. And now we kiss on the mouth. We're not going to do that. But that's how it goes in football."

https://twitter.com/BeanymanSports/status/1600889021449654272

;D

'Ever bought a fake picture, Toby?'
'Sold a couple once.'
'The more you pay for it, the less inclined you are to doubt its authenticity.'

Offline beardsleyismessimk1

• Owner Of A Messy Room!
  • Legacy Fan
  • Life is for living, so live it
« Reply #8664 on: December 8, 2022, 07:08:23 pm »
Can tell gullet is Dutch. He has definitely been smoking something funny
The individual has always had to struggle to keep from being overwhelmed by the tribe. If you try it, you will be lonely often, and sometimes frightened. But no price is too high to pay for the privilege of owning yourself.

Online thegoodfella

• makes reindeer pizza
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • ...siempre es posible
« Reply #8665 on: December 8, 2022, 09:21:29 pm »
He'll be in the frame for the Brazil job next

No fucking chance. He will be coaching a side in the Middle East now I bet.

Offline I've been a good boy

• "There are two ways of spreading light; to be the candle or the mirror that receives it." Loves a good set of open flaps. And a bowl of Coco Poops!
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #8666 on: December 8, 2022, 10:54:13 pm »
Can tell gullet is Dutch. He has definitely been smoking something funny
One too many space cakes. What a character

Offline Black Bull Nova

• emo
  • Legacy Fan
aarf, aarf, aarf.

Offline Iska

• Legacy Fan
  • The only club that matters
« Reply #8668 on: December 9, 2022, 01:45:23 pm »
Van Gaal’s couple of world cups have really enhanced his stature I reckon.  We often talk about international management as a retirement job, but there’s something about managing big egos through an intense tournament, under the highest scrutiny, that’s really a very different kind of test to club management.  Was reflecting recently that I don’t really think about Ferguson very much anymore, whereas if I think about really top-level managers from that era it’s your van Gaals, Capellos and Lippis that come most to mind.  Ferguson feels like a much smaller, more domestic concern without those biggest occasions.

Offline RobbieRedman

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • RAWK Cheltenham 2018 Champion Tipster
« Reply #8669 on: December 9, 2022, 01:48:56 pm »

Offline Samie

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #8670 on: December 9, 2022, 01:51:06 pm »

Vs

Offline afc turkish

• How long for them sausages? Maggie May's Mythical Turkish Delight. RAWK's Expert Sausage Monster! Oakley Cannonier is fucking boss. Likes blowing his friends? Who nose?!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • This looks like a nice spot...
    • Flat Back Four
« Reply #8671 on: December 9, 2022, 02:17:18 pm »
Is there an echo in this thread?
Since haste quite Schorsch, but Liverpool are genuine fight pigs...

Offline Andy82lfc

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #8672 on: December 9, 2022, 02:26:22 pm »
Is there an echo in this thread?

Offline A-Bomb

• Garlic Butter Coming. Isn’t as good as Divock Origi. Can we sell him?
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #8673 on: December 9, 2022, 02:43:25 pm »
Didn't realise how much I am irritated by Alex Scott until today. Sheeeeessshhhh.

One of those irrational hatreds  :P

I quite like her.

Online gerrardisgod

• has all his sisters with him.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Anal Dirge Prat
« Reply #8674 on: December 9, 2022, 02:43:52 pm »
Klinsmann is sitting there with a look of bewilderment.
AHA!

Offline Lawnmowerman

• Got married to Pique in April. Shakira isn't happy.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #8675 on: December 9, 2022, 02:44:53 pm »
Hoping both brazil and argentina go through today just to watch argentina kick fuckin lumps out of brazil when they try their tiktok routines

Offline Morgana

• Legacy Fan
  • Sanity is overrated.
« Reply #8676 on: December 9, 2022, 02:45:21 pm »
I posted something about this in the other threat yesterday... Brazil aren't winning this tournament so they might as well go out today. Their Press Officer abused a cat at a press conference, with Vinicius Jr. cackling his head off like the Wicked Witch of the West.

Jinxed a.f.   :lickin

Offline Lawnmowerman

• Got married to Pique in April. Shakira isn't happy.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #8677 on: December 9, 2022, 02:46:19 pm »
I posted something about this in the other threat yesterday... Brazil aren't winning this tournament so they might as well go out today. Their Press Officer abused a cat at a press conference, with Vinicius Jr. cackling his head off like the Wicked Witch of the West.

Jinxed a.f.   :lickin
abused a cat?? zouma style??

Offline RobbieRedman

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • RAWK Cheltenham 2018 Champion Tipster
« Reply #8678 on: December 9, 2022, 02:46:20 pm »
Didn't realise how much I am irritated by Alex Scott until today. Sheeeeessshhhh.
anything in particular she has said?

Online tubby

• absolutely no sense of direction whatsoever, neither in this life nor the next
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Destroyed Cowboy
« Reply #8679 on: December 9, 2022, 02:46:54 pm »
Hoping both brazil and argentina go through today just to watch argentina kick fuckin lumps out of brazil when they try their tiktok routines

If the Dutch make it through, there's every chance van Gaal will running dropkick at any stupid dance routines.
Sit down, shock is better taken with bent knees.