Author Topic: FT: LFC 1-2 MUFC  (Read 206088 times)

Offline rickardinho1

• Legacy Fan
  • The Earth is Flat
Re: FT: LFC 1-2 MUFC
« Reply #1960 on: March 23, 2015, 02:37:05 pm »
Seems simple to me, target the UEFA Cup and Top 4 next season, play youth in the domestic cups. If the senior squad can't cope with two competitions then they shouldn't be here. European Cup success tends to follow UEFA Cup success, it's an excellent training ground for both players and manager, personally I was gutted we didn't give it a better go than we did this season.
I agree about the EL. Our CL success in 2005-2009 was built on experience in the Uefa Cup/CL in 2000-2004.

Same thing for Atletico Madrid for example. They didn't become a CL powerhouse overnight.

Offline steveeastend

• Learnt to play them drums
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1961 on: March 23, 2015, 02:42:15 pm »
Devastated yesterday. An inexplicable first half did the damage which Gerrard then completed acting like a Shelvey on acid when he should know better.

If and buts all over the place, but Lallana's miss was huge, as was Phil Jones not even being yellow carded for an assault on Lallana that he should have been arrested for never mind booked.

Fair play in pulling one back and it was good to see Sturridge score again, but the dip in form seen against Blackburn and Swansea came home to roost yesterday and BR has a huge job on during the break to figure out what he needs to do to win the last eight games.

Fourth isn't gone, it is just unlikely now, but if we go on another run like we did before this game then we'll be close.

A perfect day yesterday if you are a Manc. Sick to the stomach of having to witness days like this though. I'm not sure if me thinking the ref was a dick is me looking through red glasses....but I think he was a dick.

Let them have their day and their gloating. The season isn't over yet.

Atkinson can fuck off. It's the same, over and over again. Jones should have been sent off if the Gerrard incident set the bar but as always they fuck us with a smile..

Lallana should have scored though, no doubt about that. His miss was massive..
One thing does need to be said: in the post-Benitez era, there was media-led clamour (but also some politicking going on at the club) to make the club more English; the idea being that the club had lost the very essence of what it means to be ‘Liverpool’. Guillem Ballague 18/11/10

Offline Robinred

• Wanted for burglary.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Red since '64
« Reply #1962 on: March 23, 2015, 02:55:31 pm »
The Capital One Cup is much more of a pain in the ass. Chelsea basically built and bought their club to compete in the top tier of domestic and European competition. Their 'expectation' or 'right of entitlement', whatever you want to call it is completely different to ours. Also, Chelsea fans and Benitez are no sort of benchmark for measuring anything. Atletico are remembered as they looked to be repeating similar feats to our own, these stories and legends live long in the memory.

And yes, the Europa League, to me, is definitely worth winning. It basically gives you what fourth gives you. Against the 'minnows' we faced we should be looking at being four games away from a trophy and CL qualification. Instead, everyone is apparently lamenting the fact our chances are dead.

Alternatively we can blast in the group stages after struggling to fourth, get six games in which to blood and give experience to the majority of a young squad then wait till next season to repeat. It's worked well at International level at closing the gap right? How long has that transition been going on, although it has made strides.

Honestly, if the chance for Europa League is there we should take it. We have no right to poo-poo a competition we crashed out of with a whimper, and expect to waltz in and sit at the biggest table in world football. You earn your place there, and we, right now, are a million miles off. Not one player, not one fullback, not one decent wingback......a million miles away.

Agree we are a long way short (not sure it's a million miles). Also agree about our wing/full backs being short of the quality needed. In fact wrote after our good run that Royhendo had done us all a favour with the subject matter and the timing of his thread re. a sweeper keeper, and that I wanted to talk similarly about that very thing - in particular Moreno.

But I won't budge from my view on the Europa League. The sheer number of games, the travelling, the Thursday/Sunday scheduling, it's just not worth it if you're serious about a tilt at the title, which should be our aim. And I seriously question whether the "European experience" mantra re. young players is all it's reckoned to be.
"The first revolt is against the supreme tyranny of theology...as long as we have a master in heaven, we will be slaves on earth." Mikhail Bakunin

Offline Rush 82

• Seth Iffricans don't take the dog out for a walk - they take the line out!
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • From Cape Town to Anfield
« Reply #1963 on: March 23, 2015, 02:57:08 pm »
Why don't they investigate Rooney when he studded Mignolet. Rooney was on the ground, the ball high up in Simons hands and Rooney studs him.

Anyone got a link to a gif of this incident?

Offline jamie_c

• Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #1964 on: March 23, 2015, 03:01:30 pm »
Atkinson can fuck off. It's the same, over and over again. Jones should have been sent off if the Gerrard incident set the bar but as always they fuck us with a smile..

Lallana should have scored though, no doubt about that. His miss was massive..

people have very short memories, remember the Southampton game where it all went our way and they were well and truly fucked over ?

Jones should have been booked for the Lallana challenge but then if he had it's highly unlikely he would have made the second challenge which although borderline red in itself was a yellow for 99% of ref's. fellani should have been booked and the one big decision in Gerrard was correct. 

We were out thought and out played yesterday, the referee was nothing to do with the result.

Offline vicar

• Legacy Fan
  • Free at last!
« Reply #1965 on: March 23, 2015, 03:03:09 pm »
Why don't they investigate Rooney when he studded Mignolet. Rooney was on the ground, the ball high up in Simons hands and Rooney studs him.

He doesn't 'stud' him but he does kick him. Mignolet makes a meal of it, Rooney seemed to imply it was Skrtels push that made him do it, but I think it was deliberate.

Offline Caston

• Castoff, Knitone, Purlone
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1966 on: March 23, 2015, 03:04:16 pm »

Offline Rush 82

• Legacy Fan

Offline Fordy

• Κασσάνδρα. ITK (rubs bridge of nose knowingly)
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1968 on: March 23, 2015, 03:06:19 pm »
Cannot imagine that being a massive problem though? Still gives him a 2 week break and time to work on the system.

It's not as he has come back firing though is it?

Injury prone to say the least.

Offline schumi_pete

• Main Stander
« Reply #1969 on: March 23, 2015, 03:07:20 pm »
We were outplayed, out-thought and infuriatingly for me, out-fought for 60 minutes yesterday.

Atkinson did not ruin the game..Gerrard was daft to stamp on Herrera. We were truly rolled over by a well prepared team. If there is one criticism of Rodgers, he should have started Lucas/Gerrard instead of Lallana..he was just a passenger until he got hooked.

It was a shocking first half display that cost us dearly in the end.

Offline MolbyLovesGravlax

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1970 on: March 23, 2015, 03:09:34 pm »

Because there was obviously no intent from the captain of England and Manchester Utd Inc with his heroic flowing hair and a fine Anglo name. On the other hand some dirty Eastern European with tattoos and a shaved head with a name so devious not even 80% of fans on the biggest Liverpool forum can spell it correctly, well obviously it was planned years before the event with him receiving instructions pre-game from his KGB handler. 6 game ban imminent. 3 for the stamp and 3 because he pulled everyone in the UKs shirt last season.
"This is Anfield, this is what they do." Thomas Tuchel

@dgljones

Offline Bunter

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1971 on: March 23, 2015, 03:10:31 pm »
Did De Gea thump Skrtel in the stomach or have I imagined that happening? (Honest question)

I agree about the EL. Our CL success in 2005-2009 was built on experience in the Uefa Cup/CL in 2000-2004.

Same thing for Atletico Madrid for example. They didn't become a CL powerhouse overnight.

Agree with this. Thinking we deserve to be mixing it with the big boys in Europe when we can't even handle the likes of Beskitas, Basle, Ludogrets etc. A lot of these players haven't bothered turning up in Europe in nearly 3 CL/EL campaigns, let's at least cut our teeth in the EL and show we're capable of handling that competition first.

Offline conman

• Ohh aaaah just a little bit, Ooh aahh, a little bit more. Aerial stalker perv. Not cool enough to get the lolz.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
    • Cocopoppyhead
« Reply #1972 on: March 23, 2015, 03:11:39 pm »
For goodness sake this guy is made of glass.
he's unbreakable

Offline rickardinho1

• Legacy Fan
  • The Earth is Flat
« Reply #1973 on: March 23, 2015, 03:19:24 pm »
Apparently Studge is injured. Anyone got the details?
Queue the "we'll be better with Sterling upfront anyways" posts  ::)

Offline robertobaggio37

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • But we will conquer the ball, each fucking time.
« Reply #1974 on: March 23, 2015, 03:20:49 pm »
The biggest problem anywhere in the world is that people's perceptions of reality are filtered through the screening mesh of what they want, and do not want, to be true.

Offline mattD

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1975 on: March 23, 2015, 03:21:16 pm »
We lost in the first half. They were superb - simple as that.

As soon as we figure that out, we'll be able to find out where we went wrong and how we can improve upon it. Atkinson or no Atkinson, that was nowhere near good enough.

We have to find a way to be more flexible with the formations - it's evident now we can't just play the same formation expecting to beat everyone. For that, you have to have top top quality players like Barca, and we're nowhere near that level. In hindsight, it's easy to say, but people would have called Rodgers foolish if he had changed it around and still lost, given the fact we have been winning a lot under this formation. So this is in no way a condemnation on behalf of the manager.

But in recent weeks, what with the poor performances in the Blackburn, Swansea and United game, I think there's evidence to suggest a change is now needed.

Offline Kopenhagen

• Ban hammer of Damocles poised to drop if Everton finish fourth.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1976 on: March 23, 2015, 03:21:33 pm »
https://twitter.com/TaintlessRed/status/580005121792282624

Looks worse than I originally thought when watching live. Could have broken Mignolet's ankle like that.
"There is no final victory, just as there is no final defeat. There is just the same battle to be fought over and over again."

Offline Ashburton

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1977 on: March 23, 2015, 03:26:10 pm »
He doesn't 'stud' him but he does kick him. Mignolet makes a meal of it, Rooney seemed to imply it was Skrtels push that made him do it, but I think it was deliberate.

Doesn't look like much wrong with this, he's going for a volley and catches his ankle with the swinging leg, Mig catches it then rolls around on the floor like a soft twat.  Much prefer De Gea getting up and having a go at Skrtel for the rather more deliberate stamp on the ankle, which looks like it would have hurt a hell of a lot more.  Watch the first second of the clip a few times of Rooney's one, the movement from Skrtel into Rooney and where he is actually looking.

Suppose that is why one is tempting Real Madrid to come in for him and the other isn't.  Sometimes admitting you were outplayed/fucked up your chances at winning is the harder lesson in a loss than blaming everyone else.  Lallana, Gerard, Moreno and Sterling all looked shite yesterday, those lads turn up and you'd not even see Rooney's kick mentioned in this thread.

Offline KennyDaggers

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1978 on: March 23, 2015, 03:28:06 pm »

It was deliberate but cause he was also pushed he'll get away with it.

Offline Rush 82

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1979 on: March 23, 2015, 03:29:18 pm »
I know a Saffer who flew himself and family in from Jhb to watch Steven Gerrard play his last game as Captain against ManU....

Offline rushyman

• Not A Badgeman. Fuck him. Please. Someone. Anyone! But not Jonathan Pearce.....
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • On Halloween, parents send kids out lookin like me
« Reply #1980 on: March 23, 2015, 03:32:35 pm »
Skrtel will be charged

de Gea got up and dived 3 times. Worse than the Nani/Carragher job. Final Whistle blew was up on his feet like a jack in the box

c*nt
If you don't limit yourself with bad thoughts, you can fly

Jurgen Klopp

Offline 4pool

• Mr. ( last name) Minister Of Truth - 1984 to 1984. The first to do a Moyesed. A pore grammarist.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Liverpool: European Capital of Football 2005/2006
« Reply #1981 on: March 23, 2015, 03:38:29 pm »
Looks worse than I originally thought when watching live. Could have broken Mignolet's ankle like that.

The thing is the ball is being caught high up in the air with a soft catch.

Rooney has no chance to get it, even with Skrtels push.

Rooney deliberately swings his right leg out as he's going to ground..not with his head looking at the ball...but with his eyes focused on Mignolet.
he swings his right leg, deliberately in my mind, to stud Mignolet, then bounces up and throws his hand up apologizing because he knew what he did. Atkinson comes in and tells Rooney, no problem or whatever they spoke about.

But the slow motion replays shows him extending his right leg and studding Mignolet..imho.
Either we are a club of supporters or become a club of customers.

Offline Gerry83

• Meff
  • Legacy Fan
  • Used to be Jeff, too much crystal
« Reply #1982 on: March 23, 2015, 03:38:56 pm »
I think its a good thing that we have the mentality of trying to go out and win every game. Thats obviously how any individual or team succeed in their chosen sport. At the same time i can't help but think there are times when you need to be smarter and realise that if you cant win make sure you dont get beat.

There was no reason to think that Utd would beat us yesterday but at the same time we knew what type of game to expect and that was physical. Having the likes of Lallana and Allen in there was asking for trouble. We should have players in there who can offer a bit more physicality like Lucas and maybe even SG from the start. It obviously would have been a big call to make but yesterday we just got outfought, out muscled and sadly BR got out thought tactically in that first half which cost us the match in the end.

Offline lindylou100

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1983 on: March 23, 2015, 03:40:06 pm »
well thats sturridge and lallana both out injured. I'm hoping this is a ploy to stop our players getting injured on international duty.

Offline Caston

• Castoff, Knitone, Purlone
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1984 on: March 23, 2015, 03:40:27 pm »
Skrtel will be charged

de Gea got up and dived 3 times. Worse than the Nani/Carragher job. Final Whistle blew was up on his feet like a jack in the box

c*nt

https://vine.co/v/OYIrJ2gXT1I

Very hard to tell if thats intentional or not IMO.

Offline Robinred

• Wanted for burglary.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Red since '64
« Reply #1985 on: March 23, 2015, 03:44:21 pm »
Can't argue with that at all with next season as the criterion KH.

My own take has the top 4 this season as its basic premise and with Sterling up top the performance levels were up several notches and that meant chances were far more likely to be created if not finished off. As I said in my earlier post perhaps he can play the two lads in tandem. One thing's for sure it isn't working anywhere near as well right now with just Daniel at the head.

Timbo, you and KH are right, but there's a fly in the ointment.

The Europa League. It's a massive distraction, time and energy consumer, and fucker-up of the playing schedule; Thursday/Sunday is not remotely good for any team with serious title ambitions, let alone a young and inexperienced one. As I've said elsewhere, it's a poisoned chalice.
"The first revolt is against the supreme tyranny of theology...as long as we have a master in heaven, we will be slaves on earth." Mikhail Bakunin

Offline Kopenhagen

• Ban hammer of Damocles poised to drop if Everton finish fourth.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1986 on: March 23, 2015, 03:45:11 pm »
Skrtel will be charged

c*nt

Really weird. It looked like a dive when I saw it live - he clutched his stomach, lol - but Skrtel did stamp on him. He'll get done. De Gea's reaction was bizarre, however - falling down holding his stomach, getting up and clutching Skrtel by the throat, then falling down again in mock pain. Twat.
"There is no final victory, just as there is no final defeat. There is just the same battle to be fought over and over again."

Offline B0151?

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1987 on: March 23, 2015, 03:54:38 pm »
The irony about Lallana playing is that a lot of it was probably because of his pressing, but that was the part of our game that was so terrible in the first half. Having said that, a few inches to the right and no-one is saying anything I don't think. Fine margins.

I think this game was a valuable lesson though. Experience could give us some help taking points from Arsenal and Chelsea.

Offline rickardinho1

• Legacy Fan
  • The Earth is Flat
« Reply #1988 on: March 23, 2015, 03:56:57 pm »
Really weird. It looked like a dive when I saw it live - he clutched his stomach, lol - but Skrtel did stamp on him. He'll get done. De Gea's reaction was bizarre, however - falling down holding his stomach, getting up and clutching Skrtel by the throat, then falling down again in mock pain. Twat.
Indeed. De Gea wouldn't have looked out of place in the El Classico later on yesterday. Top notch handbagging/play acting by Real+Barca standards.

Offline tarentheara

• Main Stander
« Reply #1989 on: March 23, 2015, 03:59:39 pm »
Although Sterling was played out of position, the guys efforts yesterday were minimal just seems by his body language that he's on his way...

Offline El Lobo

• Chief Suck Up. Feel his breath on your face. Toxic, pathetic, arse-faced, weaselling slimeball. RAWK Maths Genius 2022.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Pretty, pretty, pretty pretty good
« Reply #1990 on: March 23, 2015, 04:01:54 pm »
If we're going to stamp then at least make it count, that's all I ask. Do De Geas ankle at the end there and that's fourth place sorted.
If he's being asked to head the ball too frequently - which isn't exactly his specialty - it could affect his ear and cause an infection. Especially if the ball hits him on the ear directly.

Offline killer-heels

• Hates everyone and everything. Including YOU! Negativity not just for Christmas. Thinks 'irony' means 'metallic'......
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1991 on: March 23, 2015, 04:02:43 pm »
Although Sterling was played out of position, the guys efforts yesterday were minimal just seems by his body language that he's on his way...

Yeah his effort wasnt there. That contract talk has affected the player no doubt.

Offline Phil M

• YNWA
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Bravery is believing in yourself" Rafael Benitez
    • I coulda been a contenda.....
« Reply #1992 on: March 23, 2015, 04:04:57 pm »
Lock this and move on, we fucked up a great chance of serious push for 4th. There's still lots of pts to play for.
It's true to say that if Shankly had told us to invade Poland we'd be queuing up 10 deep all the way from Anfield to the Pier Head.

Offline killer-heels

• Hates everyone and everything. Including YOU! Negativity not just for Christmas. Thinks 'irony' means 'metallic'......
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1993 on: March 23, 2015, 04:06:54 pm »
Lock this and move on, we fucked up a great chance of serious push for 4th. There's still lots of pts to play for.

Kind of agree. I know its easy to go into this in loads of detail but if there is to be an inquest come end of season it has to focus solely on the scandalous form between Sept and Dec. Chasing all the time and expecting perfection every game was always going to be difficult.

Offline Fordy

• Κασσάνδρα. ITK (rubs bridge of nose knowingly)
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1994 on: March 23, 2015, 04:07:12 pm »
Martin will be charged for sure.

It really does go back to what a 'nice' team we are. It's like we want to be the people's club and I am not talking about like them across the way.

De gea rolls about like he had been hit with a rock and other players get involve to make more drama.

Rooney goes in on Simon and we just let it go.

We will miss Gerrard next season because at least that man isn't scare to get stuck in and is up for the fight.

We're just a bloody soft bunch and nice people never win!
« Last Edit: March 23, 2015, 04:22:04 pm by Fordy »

Offline rickardinho1

• Legacy Fan
  • The Earth is Flat
« Reply #1995 on: March 23, 2015, 04:10:36 pm »
steel will be charged for sure.

It really does go back to what a 'nice' team we are. It's like we want to be the people's club and I am not talking about like them across the way.

De gea rolls about like he had been hit with a rock and other players get involve to make more drama.

Rooney goes in on Simon and we just let it go.

We will miss Gerrard next season because at least that man isn't scare to get stuck in and is up for the fight.

We're just a bloody soft bunch and nice people never win!
Can is pretty good at the cynical dirty side too, but yeah I agree, we'll miss some of the "edge" when Gerrard goes.

Offline proudred

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1996 on: March 23, 2015, 04:11:33 pm »
Doesn't matter red card or not. The immediate problem now is we need a leader to rise in big games. Fair play to Hendo who tried his best but not good enough. We can see that Stevie's presence makes the different.  :-[
when did he try ? Moaning at refs & getting angry with himself with misplacing simple passes is when I noticed him.

Offline 4pool

• Mr. ( last name) Minister Of Truth - 1984 to 1984. The first to do a Moyesed. A pore grammarist.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Liverpool: European Capital of Football 2005/2006
« Reply #1997 on: March 23, 2015, 04:14:08 pm »
Can is pretty good at the cynical dirty side too, but yeah I agree, we'll miss some of the "edge" when Gerrard goes.

Henderson stood up to Costa.

Skrtel+ Sakho don't mess about.

Balotelli doesn't  mind a bit of afters.

There's a few more.
Either we are a club of supporters or become a club of customers.

Offline killer-heels

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1998 on: March 23, 2015, 04:16:57 pm »
Henderson stood up to Costa.

Skrtel+ Sakho don't mess about.

Balotelli doesn't  mind a bit of afters.

There's a few more.

Balotelli will do well to be here next year. Henderson isnt really that strong and may also be sold.

Offline rickardinho1

• Legacy Fan
  • The Earth is Flat
« Reply #1999 on: March 23, 2015, 04:20:38 pm »
Balotelli will do well to be here next year. Henderson isnt really that strong and may also be sold.
Agree on Balotelli, but you're off your rocker if you think Henderson will be sold.