Author Topic: Car & mechanics advice thread  (Read 85668 times)

Offline wampa1

• Should probably leg it while he can......
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
Re: Any mechanics/car buffs around?
« Reply #40 on: March 23, 2014, 10:42:51 pm »
Here's one, my 2000 Honda Civic has a dodgy brake pedal.  I mean, it works fine and is safe and the car stops on a dime every time but it feels like there is hardly any pressure behind it and you have to press it down quite far.  Lines have been bed umpteen times and it's had two new master cylinders and a new valve compensator but still has the problem : /

Offline WooltonDave

• Best car driver in Woolton. According to himself.
  • Main Stander
« Reply #41 on: March 24, 2014, 10:57:09 am »
Here's one, my 2000 Honda Civic has a dodgy brake pedal.  I mean, it works fine and is safe and the car stops on a dime every time but it feels like there is hardly any pressure behind it and you have to press it down quite far.  Lines have been bed umpteen times and it's had two new master cylinders and a new valve compensator but still has the problem : /

The footwell is too far away. Bring it closer and the peddle won't go down so far.
"He's got a kiss from a man wearing a blue and white shirt".............Quasimodo............Lady Killer.

Offline surfer. Fuck you generator.

• surgood. As good as Suarez but CBA to play for us. Takes it on the chin and never holds a pointless grudge for several months.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #42 on: March 24, 2014, 12:41:23 pm »

I had this problem with one of my cars, an old Toyota E60. it's usually the master cylinder. Mine was fairly easy to sort out as the car was bastardised to the high heavens by that point and worked just fine with a new master cylinder salvaged off another car. It's interesting that you've changed that twice and the problem is still there. what is your mechanic saying? If it's the same guy who's bled your breaks then changed the cylinders twice without fixing it, time for a new mechanic mate.

Offline wampa1

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #43 on: March 24, 2014, 12:49:25 pm »
Well at Christmas, it was at the point that the brakes were almost none existent and you had to press it right to the floor to get it to stop.  Obviously, that's not safe so I took it in and the MC was replaced and that fixed it.  Then they went again a few months later and the MC was replaced again and now they are 'okay' but not at the standard I want them to be and certainly nowhere near what they were before Christmas.

My mechanic is a good guy and fixed the it the second time for free.  I am toying with the idea of taking to another garage if they go completely but I'm hoping they last until the next MOT which, if it passes, I'd be more willing to spend a bit to fix them whereas if it fails I may scrap it (depending on what it fails on).

Offline Skidder.

• Minster. Aka The Censored Baron XII. I remember watching that as a skid!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Kloppite
« Reply #44 on: March 24, 2014, 01:29:59 pm »
Have you tried plugging it in?
Continually on 11,420.

Offline wampa1

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #45 on: March 24, 2014, 02:00:03 pm »
Yeah, turned it off and on again as well.

Offline anfieldpurch

• Simple
  • Legacy Fan
  • Justice for the 96!!
« Reply #46 on: March 27, 2014, 05:07:10 pm »
Just to add to my original post but I've noticed now that it decreases just by me pressing the brake and coming to a stop, even if i don't park on a slope. For instance it said 400 miles left but after 60 mile trip the counter read 339. But when I completely stopped it dropped to 329 then went I turned the ignition on next time it was 319. The next 30 mile journey took it to 289 but then after stopping, it dropped to 269.

Any ideas because it didn't used to do this?
Proud father to Riley James Lucas 16/3/17

Offline BCCC

• Or B square
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Blessed are the Cheesemakers
*****LFC Purveyors of fine football tradition since 1892*****

Offline bigbonedrawky

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #48 on: March 27, 2014, 08:57:37 pm »
Well at Christmas, it was at the point that the brakes were almost none existent and you had to press it right to the floor to get it to stop.  Obviously, that's not safe so I took it in and the MC was replaced and that fixed it.  Then they went again a few months later and the MC was replaced again and now they are 'okay' but not at the standard I want them to be and certainly nowhere near what they were before Christmas.

My mechanic is a good guy and fixed the it the second time for free.  I am toying with the idea of taking to another garage if they go completely but I'm hoping they last until the next MOT which, if it passes, I'd be more willing to spend a bit to fix them whereas if it fails I may scrap it (depending on what it fails on).
With the Ignition OFF Pump your brake pedal until it cant be pushed any further, (it should now be at the top) if it isn't... change your mechanic
Keep your foot on the pedal and turn the ignition on, the pedal should now go down smoothly, if it doesn't... change your mechanic
Fixing it a second time "for free" could mean he knows he didn't fix it correctly in the first place or he is indeed a good guy and its the salvaged parts that are at fault. (maybe a inherent design fault) 

Offline DJBrenton

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #49 on: March 28, 2014, 08:16:12 am »
When you park on the slope face the car the other way and the mileage will go up instead of down. Happy days!

So if you always drive uphill you'll never run out of petrol? Awesome!
I have no children on RAWK. Anyone claiming to be my daughter is a blagger trying to bask in reflected glory.

Offline Paullfc95

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Snapped car key
« Reply #50 on: July 12, 2014, 02:26:03 pm »
The other day my car key snapped completely into 2. It's not a remote key, but it's got a chip inside.

I went to Timpsons and they've quoted me £95 to get a new key, but surely you can get cheaper than that with it not being a remote car key. The car is a 2001 Corsa.

Just wondering has anybody had any similar experiences and how much you paid/where you got the new one from?

Offline Motty

• 'Arry's Tax Lawyer. T'riffic. Hush, hush, eye to eye. When will he, will he be famous? I can't answer that!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Re: Snapped car key
« Reply #51 on: July 12, 2014, 02:45:31 pm »
The other day my car key snapped completely into 2. It's not a remote key, but it's got a chip inside.

I went to Timpsons and they've quoted me £95 to get a new key, but surely you can get cheaper than that with it not being a remote car key. The car is a 2001 Corsa.

Just wondering has anybody had any similar experiences and how much you paid/where you got the new one from?
Weirdly I only went into a Citroen garage yesterday to inquire about a new key for my 2004 van which is also not a remote key.

£64 I was quoted.

Online rob1966

• YORKIE bar-munching, hedgehog-squashing (well-)articulated road-hog-litter-bug. Sleeping With The Enemy. Has felt the wind and shed his anger..... did you know I drive a Jag? Cucking funt!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #52 on: July 13, 2014, 10:17:06 pm »
Even though its not a remote, because the chip is required to start the car, the cost will include programming the key to work with the ignition. You could try a Corsa forum and see if there is any way of transferring your old chip to a new key so that you only need to pay for the key cutting.
Jurgen YNWA

Offline Seagull Dave

• Main Stander
« Reply #53 on: July 14, 2014, 12:57:48 am »
I did this and it ended up being cheaper to get a whole new ignition and lockset from a scrappy cost me £15. Same car as yours too
JFT96 Dont Buy The Sun

Offline SamAteTheRedAcid

• Currently facing issues around potty training. All help appreciated.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #54 on: July 14, 2014, 01:47:03 am »
Fucking hell, some crap advice here. Have you not tried putting bonjella on it ;)
get thee to the library before the c*nts close it down

we are a bunch of twats commenting on a website.

Offline Paullfc95

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #55 on: July 14, 2014, 05:01:50 pm »
Sorted it today,went to an independent locksmith, they took the chip out of the old key and put it in a new case then cut a new key.

All for the price of just £15  :D

Offline Motty

• 'Arry's Tax Lawyer. T'riffic. Hush, hush, eye to eye. When will he, will he be famous? I can't answer that!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #56 on: July 14, 2014, 05:40:44 pm »
Sorted it today,went to an independent locksmith, they took the chip out of the old key and put it in a new case then cut a new key.

All for the price of just £15  :D
Sounds good ,what do you mean by independent locksmith ? Just a privately run key cutting shop like a Timson's I'm thinking.

Offline Narwin Dunez

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #57 on: July 14, 2014, 06:34:43 pm »
Timsons are fucking shite.

Took my work shoes for repair and now I've got staples stabbing me in the heel.

Glad you got sorted.

Offline Paullfc95

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #58 on: July 14, 2014, 07:01:53 pm »
Sounds good ,what do you mean by independent locksmith ? Just a privately run key cutting shop like a Timson's I'm thinking.
Just a one off privately run shop, Timpsons is a chain

Offline Motty

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #59 on: July 14, 2014, 09:58:04 pm »
Just a one off privately run shop, Timpsons is a chain
Ok sound I'm going to try a local one I seen the other day.

Offline Phil_88

• Legacy Fan
Any mechanics in here? need a bit of advice please . . .
« Reply #60 on: February 11, 2015, 08:19:27 pm »
right so passed my driving test last week, went out bought a used car (02 Peugeot 206) found out the clutch was worn had a terrible judder in 1st and reverse so booked it in to be replaced, went in yesterday and got it back today, went in it today first time ive drove it, noticed its still got a judder when finding the biting point (usually in my instructors car Id find the bite and just roll forward using the clutch and accelerate off) now if I try and do it in this theres a terrible judder, spoke to the mechanic who fixed it and he reckons the old clutch stretched the clutch cable and the new clutch needs to get used to it, im finding it stressfull to drive it atm having never driven on my own before then having this juddering etc (already stalled it a few times lol and only had it bk a few hours), should I take it back to the mechanic or is it just me?

Offline Phil M

• YNWA
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Bravery is believing in yourself" Rafael Benitez
    • I coulda been a contenda.....
Re: Any mechanics in here? need a bit of advice please . . .
« Reply #61 on: February 11, 2015, 08:23:39 pm »
Was it like that when you test drove it?
It's true to say that if Shankly had told us to invade Poland we'd be queuing up 10 deep all the way from Anfield to the Pier Head.

Online CraigDS

• Lite. Smelt it and dealt it. Worrawhopper.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #62 on: February 11, 2015, 08:27:29 pm »
What car did your driving instructor have?

All cars will have different bite points, and some won't be able to move forward much just off releasing the clutch alone - the judder could well be the car starting to stall.

Offline Phil_88

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #63 on: February 11, 2015, 08:27:36 pm »
Was it like that when you test drove it?

when I bought it or after clutch replacement? after the new clutch it was like it but the mechanic told me to give it time but dosent seem right to me but part of me is thinking is it because ive gone from a newer 12 plate instructors car to an older car

Offline Phil_88

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #64 on: February 11, 2015, 08:28:02 pm »
What car did your driving instructor have?

All cars will have different bite points, and some won't be able to move forward much just off releasing the clutch alone - the judder could well be the car starting to stall.

he had a 12 plate ford focus

Online CraigDS

• Lite. Smelt it and dealt it. Worrawhopper.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #65 on: February 11, 2015, 08:32:34 pm »
Ask someone who you know who has driven a few different manual cars to have a quick go and see what they think. I've driven some which will go a decent speed just off the clutch control in first, where as others which will hardly move and stall (judder first) if you don't put accelerator on.

The car is 13 years old so it'll be massively different to a newer car.

Offline Phil M

• YNWA
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Bravery is believing in yourself" Rafael Benitez
    • I coulda been a contenda.....
« Reply #66 on: February 11, 2015, 08:34:06 pm »
Doesn't sound normal.

I'm no mechanic but if the cable was stretched then that should have been replaced aswell
unless I've misread your post.

I'd get a quick second opinion on it, have a different mechanic inspect it and if possible, drive it to see for themselves. If they agree with the original fitter's diagnosis fair enough but it sounds dodgy to me.

And getting on the road for the first time you don't want to be taking chances with a pedal you're going to be using constantly mate.
It's true to say that if Shankly had told us to invade Poland we'd be queuing up 10 deep all the way from Anfield to the Pier Head.

Offline Phil_88

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #67 on: February 11, 2015, 08:38:57 pm »
Ask someone who you know who has driven a few different manual cars to have a quick go and see what they think. I've driven some which will go a decent speed just off the clutch control in first, where as others which will hardly move and stall (judder first) if you don't put accelerator on.

The car is 13 years old so it'll be massively different to a newer car.

yeah could just be me, first time ive drove it was picking it up from garage today, so think its best if I just go somewere quiet and get used to it, think I might be treating it like the instructors car and that could be why, just wondered if anyone else had any trouble like it, will get someone else to try it tho to make sure

Offline Phil_88

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #68 on: February 11, 2015, 08:40:39 pm »
Doesn't sound normal.

I'm no mechanic but if the cable was stretched then that should have been replaced aswell
unless I've misread your post.

I'd get a quick second opinion on it, have a different mechanic inspect it and if possible, drive it to see for themselves. If they agree with the original fitter's diagnosis fair enough but it sounds dodgy to me.

And getting on the road for the first time you don't want to be taking chances with a pedal you're going to be using constantly mate.

yeah my next door neighbour happens to be a mechanic too so will get him to have a look tomorrow just wondered if anyone else had experienced it, obviously me being a new driver was kinda thinking it might just be me lol

Offline CHOPPER

• Bad Tranny with a Chopper. Hello John gotta new Mitre? I'm Jim Davidson in disguise. Undercover Cop (Grammar Division). Does Louis Spence. Well. A giga-c*nt worth of nothing in particular. Hodgson apologist. Astronomical cock. Hug Jacket Distributor
  • Legacy Fan
  • Super Title: Not Arsed
« Reply #69 on: February 11, 2015, 08:42:04 pm »
Have you taken the handbrake off?
@ Veinticinco de Mayo The way you talk to other users on this forum is something you should be ashamed of as someone who is suppose to be representing the site.
Martin Kenneth Wild - Part of a family

Offline Phil_88

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #70 on: February 11, 2015, 08:42:26 pm »
Have you taken the handbrake off?

yeah :)

Offline CHOPPER

• Bad Tranny with a Chopper. Hello John gotta new Mitre? I'm Jim Davidson in disguise. Undercover Cop (Grammar Division). Does Louis Spence. Well. A giga-c*nt worth of nothing in particular. Hodgson apologist. Astronomical cock. Hug Jacket Distributor
  • Legacy Fan
  • Super Title: Not Arsed
« Reply #71 on: February 11, 2015, 08:44:06 pm »
yeah :)
I'm out then fella.

I'd ask a grown up now if I was you.
@ Veinticinco de Mayo The way you talk to other users on this forum is something you should be ashamed of as someone who is suppose to be representing the site.
Martin Kenneth Wild - Part of a family

Offline L666KOP

• Wants everyone to fuck off. Especially you. Yes YOU! Too Tender for Tinder. Would swallow his knob on a genuine fuck up.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #72 on: February 11, 2015, 10:14:33 pm »
he had a 12 plate ford focus

Was it diesel ?

If it was then it will have a Dual mass Flywheel, this will iron out judder, especially if you are hesitant.

An older petrol car will have a solid flywheel, if you are consciously 'looking' for the bite point your leg will get the yips and the clutch plate will vibrate against the flywheel.

Does it judder in every gear, or just when you're setting off in first ?
13mins - Bournemouth have gone home. Utd kicked off anyway. Still 0-0 as Smalling passes it back to De Gea.

Offline wampa1

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #73 on: February 11, 2015, 10:18:55 pm »
Sounds like you're being a bit unsure with your feet.  Once you get the feel for the car and where the biting point is I'm sure it'll be fine.

Offline outlaw_nas

• Kopite
« Reply #74 on: February 11, 2015, 10:20:22 pm »
Maybe mechanic has put in a cheap clutch in.

Offline RacerX34

• Kopite
  • JFT 97
« Reply #75 on: February 11, 2015, 10:34:04 pm »
right so passed my driving test last week, went out bought a used car (02 Peugeot 206) found out the clutch was worn had a terrible judder in 1st and reverse so booked it in to be replaced, went in yesterday and got it back today, went in it today first time ive drove it, noticed its still got a judder when finding the biting point (usually in my instructors car Id find the bite and just roll forward using the clutch and accelerate off) now if I try and do it in this theres a terrible judder, spoke to the mechanic who fixed it and he reckons the old clutch stretched the clutch cable and the new clutch needs to get used to it, im finding it stressfull to drive it atm having never driven on my own before then having this juddering etc (already stalled it a few times lol and only had it bk a few hours), should I take it back to the mechanic or is it just me?

Sounds like your mechanic is talking bollox.
Stretched the cable? He either fixed the problem or he didn't.
The new clutch won't "get used to it".
The pads will wear, but if the problem is the cable replace the cable.

Online rob1966

• YORKIE bar-munching, hedgehog-squashing (well-)articulated road-hog-litter-bug. Sleeping With The Enemy. Has felt the wind and shed his anger..... did you know I drive a Jag? Cucking funt!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #76 on: February 11, 2015, 10:39:48 pm »
Sounds to me like its your technique, if you let the clutch up and try to drive away without accelerator, then on a lot of cars you're going to get just what you describe as the revs are dropping too much and the car is actually trying to stall, try it with some revs rather than relying on the engine idle speed and see if it improves.

I've been driving 30 years and I'm mainly used to superbikes and Scania trucks these days, the wife has an Astra and quite a lot of times I can get that to judder when pulling away if I'm not giving it enough revs to move off, thats happened from when the car was first bought and was only a year old.
Jurgen YNWA

Offline RacerX34

• Kopite
  • JFT 97
« Reply #77 on: February 11, 2015, 10:58:33 pm »
Sounds to me like its your technique, if you let the clutch up and try to drive away without accelerator, then on a lot of cars you're going to get just what you describe as the revs are dropping too much and the car is actually trying to stall, try it with some revs rather than relying on the engine idle speed and see if it improves.

I've been driving 30 years and I'm mainly used to superbikes and Scania trucks these days, the wife has an Astra and quite a lot of times I can get that to judder when pulling away if I'm not giving it enough revs to move off, thats happened from when the car was first bought and was only a year old.

There's a point too.
I had a 106 and a 307, and have an Expert van now.
Not the smoothest pulling away without a touch of throttle.

Offline Phil_88

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #78 on: February 11, 2015, 11:46:24 pm »
Thanks for the replies :) I'll give it a week or so get some practice in using it and see if was just me which it probably is if not I'll pop it be down to the garage.
Was it diesel ?

If it was then it will have a Dual mass Flywheel, this will iron out judder, especially if you are hesitant.

An older petrol car will have a solid flywheel, if you are consciously 'looking' for the bite point your leg will get the yips and the clutch plate will vibrate against the flywheel.

Does it judder in every gear, or just when you're setting off in first ?

Just first and reverse once it's going the gear changes are fine
There's a point too.
I had a 106 and a 307, and have an Expert van now.
Not the smoothest pulling away without a touch of throttle.
I'll get some practice in tomorrow putting more revs instead of trying to work from the clutch maybe I'm just treating it like the instructors car and that might be the problem cheers again
« Last Edit: February 11, 2015, 11:49:16 pm by Phil_88 »

Offline Phil_88

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #79 on: February 13, 2015, 01:31:17 pm »
took it back today as its been as bad as it was when I got it back, and the mechanic thinks it might be a faulty clutch so hes going to fit another for me over the weekend