Author Topic: The legend that is Jari Litmanen  (Read 14097 times)

Offline Phil M

• YNWA
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Bravery is believing in yourself" Rafael Benitez
    • I coulda been a contenda.....
The legend that is Jari Litmanen
« on: September 7, 2006, 03:49:36 pm »
Ok first off, Mods, if this is posted in the wrong forum I apologise.

I just wanted to pay tribute to the ex-Red Jari Litmanen.

I was heartbroken when Jari left Anfield, when he initially signed for us I
remember being absolutely over the moon that this passing genius would
be wearing the red shirt. Unfortunately due to some unfortunate injuries
and the fact that we were at the time thanks to GH lumping it over his head
up to Emile, Jari only made 26 appearances for us scoring 5 goals. I will
always remember his goal against Spurs and his performance against Roma
 in that amazing game,when he scored a peno,
 he was a big part of our treble winning side even though he missed all three
 finals through injury. He was so close to being our hero against Leverkusen
when he put us ahead with a wonder goal before Lucio ended our hopes.
He left soon after on a free transfer.I thought this might be the end for Jari and
he would just fade into obscurity but the fact is however that quality will always prevail and he rejoined his belovedAjax helping them reach the quarter-finals of the Champs league. He has since had spells with FC Lahti in his homeland of Finland, Hansa Rostock and  Malmo FF where he currently playes his football.
Aswell as that, at the 'veteran' age of 35, Jari is still arguably his countrys
 most influential player (not forgetting Sami of course) and as skipper has been leading by example, he scored twice in their recent 3-1 win over Poland away.
(poor Jerzy was in goal for them)Read more here.....
http://www.uefa.com/competitions/EURO/FixturesResults/Round=2241/
match=83806/
index.html
I still wear my old shirt with his name on the back.
Jari Litmanen, you are a true legend.
 :wave
« Last Edit: September 7, 2006, 03:52:20 pm by Phil M »
It's true to say that if Shankly had told us to invade Poland we'd be queuing up 10 deep all the way from Anfield to the Pier Head.

Offline Hunts Cross

• but Cech's furious.
  • Legacy Fan
Re: The legend that is Jari Litmanen
« Reply #1 on: September 7, 2006, 03:54:47 pm »
That Litmanen never saw more games was a travesty and a waste, in a Liverpool team that desperately needed his creativity and play-making.

Offline TheKid.

• Goat abuser
  • Legacy Fan
  • Vamos
« Reply #2 on: September 7, 2006, 03:56:06 pm »
Jari, oh Jari Jari, oh Jari Jari, oh Jari Litmanen!

Thought he'd put us through against Bayer in 2002 with that goal (made me lie down on the floor for a few mins in the BayArena after it!) but wasn't to be

Offline Phil M

• YNWA
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3 on: September 7, 2006, 03:57:10 pm »
Cheers guys,
I agree wholeheartedly. :)
It's true to say that if Shankly had told us to invade Poland we'd be queuing up 10 deep all the way from Anfield to the Pier Head.

Offline Corkboy

• Sworn enemy of Bottlegirl. The Boston Toilet Mangler. Grauniad of the Cidatel. Into kinky S&M with the Lash.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Is it getting better?
« Reply #4 on: September 7, 2006, 04:03:21 pm »
Saw him score away at Fulham some years back, he rounded Van Der Sar and slotted home from a very acute angle. Even the home fans were purring in appreciation.

Another player who saw things others didn't, so pleased when he signed and sick as a parrot when he went.

I seem to remember Ged saying, when he signed, that he was going to base the team around him. Hmm...

Offline lurganboy

• Legacy Fan
  • Look! It's that bellend from 606!
« Reply #5 on: September 7, 2006, 04:08:56 pm »
Wonderful player, who we shamefully neglected. Houllier hailed him as perhaps the best player ever to sign for Liverpool, then kept him on the bench!

But he didn't play a big part in a our treble season. He signed in January and broke his wrist very shortly afterwards and was out injured for practically the rest of the season.

Offline Garstonite

• Scouse Wash House
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #6 on: September 7, 2006, 04:10:25 pm »
I had a crush on Jari.

Offline Dread Breath

• Resident Lecter. Convicted of crimes against Andrew Symonds and pensioned off to Australia.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7 on: September 7, 2006, 04:23:12 pm »
I was over the moon as well when he signed: I thought he was the final piece in the puzzle. He then spent most of his time as a sub!

Sensational player: what happened to him at Anfield was ridiculous, and frankly even today I still scratch my head over it. Did he get caught screwing Houllier's daughter or something?!
Blame me for all the draft threads on RAWK

Offline Phil M

• YNWA
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #8 on: September 7, 2006, 04:27:39 pm »
I still think he could do a job for us, if Robbie came back so can Jari !  ;)

IMO Houllier just didnt know how to accomodate him properly, he was unlucky with injuries though, it's such a shame his anfield career was so short.

Offline ooaajoshbackar2

• Too Young To Use Ticket Exchange
  • Anny Roader
« Reply #9 on: September 7, 2006, 04:30:02 pm »
jari was a cracking player and like most other liverpool fans i was overjoyed when he signed and the lack of time he spent on the pitch in a red shirt was a real waste! But what we got was 26 games of flair and im sure we all loved every minute of it!

Josh
we've got a right back called steve finnan
when he plays were always winning
crosses the ball out and in again
we've got a right back called steve finnan

Offline rakey_lfc

• pwned by Ronaldo...and eBay
  • Legacy Fan
  • I'm a people's man - only the people matter.”
« Reply #10 on: September 7, 2006, 04:33:07 pm »
Jari was a fine player...legend that never was!!

he never had much pace, but his first touch was amazing and enabled him to get the space he needed to pick out the passes, he had such a footballing brain on him just a pity we didnt see more of him.
SUPPORT AND BELIEVE

You'll Never Walk Alone

Xbox 360 gamertag - TonyB1604

Offline IrishDave

• This custom title is invisible
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Insert clever comment here ............
« Reply #11 on: September 7, 2006, 04:34:36 pm »
The biggest pity was surely that he didn't sign two years previously when it was first mooted.
Keep your friends close & your enemies won't matter

Offline Bobby

• Kemlynite
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #12 on: September 7, 2006, 04:38:38 pm »
If I remember correctly he made his debut against Sunderland, in one of those all-too-common games where we'd struggle against mediocre opposition. Scored the equalising penalty, I think.

Offline Benitez

• Legacy Fan
  • Nunca caminarás sólo
« Reply #13 on: September 7, 2006, 04:39:50 pm »
I just never took to Litmanen. Although I think that had more to do with the fans that followed him around certain Liverpool forums :D

by the way - he made 43 appearances for Liverpool, not 26.
« Last Edit: September 7, 2006, 04:43:22 pm by Benitez »
"Stay humble. Work harder than the other team every game, and work harder in practice. Take nothing for granted, especially on a day like today. How could you? It’s a gift to be playing in this league, a gift to walk the planet. So you know what, leave it on the ice every single night and let the results take care of themselves"

Offline Crosby Nick

• He was super funny. Used to do these super hilarious puns
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #14 on: September 7, 2006, 04:41:22 pm »
If I remember correctly he made his debut against Sunderland, in one of those all-too-common games where we'd struggle against mediocre opposition. Scored the equalising penalty, I think.

His debut was in the Worthy Cup when we were 2-0 down to Palace. Immediately set up a goal for Vladi. Then he inspired us to a 5-0 win in the 2nd leg. Remember him trying to tee up Fowler for an easy tap in when he could have scored himself.

There was something about that luxurious mullet and miserable face that warmed the heart!

Offline blurred

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #15 on: September 7, 2006, 04:45:30 pm »
Jari, oh Jari Jari, oh Jari Jari Jari Jari Litmanen - hey!

Offline Corkboy

• Sworn enemy of Bottlegirl. The Boston Toilet Mangler. Grauniad of the Cidatel. Into kinky S&M with the Lash.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Is it getting better?
« Reply #16 on: September 7, 2006, 04:52:38 pm »
Does anybody remember him being interviewed by Andy Townsend in the "Tactics Truck" or whatever the fuck it was called.

Townsend asked him to us through his goal on video replay, but Jari was so laidback he had only just gotten through his "Yeah, weeeeeell, uuuuuuhm..." when the replay was over and they had to start again!

Offline WorldChampions

• Charlie uniform november tango fan...
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #17 on: September 7, 2006, 04:53:34 pm »
Great player but was wasted... unfortunately

Offline stjohns

• ambliance or precinct we're not sure......
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #18 on: September 7, 2006, 04:55:52 pm »
Litmanen was pure class and quite often far too good for the rest of the team. They invariably couldn't read him. Well that's my memory, anyway.

Offline JMarsh

• Wise beyond his years
  • Legacy Fan
  • Girls Aloud fan.
« Reply #19 on: September 7, 2006, 04:56:45 pm »
People talk about Houllier wasting Litmanen and maybe that's true to an extent.

But the reality is that Litmanen couldn't play 90 minutes - and also couldn't train for 2 or 3 days after a game, and when he did train it was with strappings on his ankles. He was bound to not last long in a CL side in that condition, and this is shown by the fact he's done nothing of note since he left.

Talented player who came to Liverpool too late.

Offline Ken Collars

• Main Stander
  • Rush scored 3 and Rush scored 4
« Reply #20 on: September 7, 2006, 04:59:18 pm »
Does anybody remember him being interviewed by Andy Townsend in the "Tactics Truck" or whatever the fuck it was called.

Townsend asked him to us through his goal on video replay, but Jari was so laidback he had only just gotten through his "Yeah, weeeeeell, uuuuuuhm..." when the replay was over and they had to start again!

Ha Ha - yes remeber it well, he looked miserable as f*ck and had a voice like Barry White as I recall.

Somone hit the nail on the head earlier in the thread saying his creativity was wasted in a side that cried out for a player like him. I was gutted when he went, mostly because you had the feeling that he had so much more to offer than the opportunities he was given.
We used to play in the field behind me Nana's........

There was 1 line on me schoolwork and about 5 lines on how good I played in the 5-a-side.

Offline xavidub

• Not on message, ennui
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • SOS Member No. 6218
« Reply #21 on: September 7, 2006, 04:59:46 pm »
Cheers guys,
I agree wholeheartedly. :)

Absolutely. A top player. Shame we didn't have more time with him
You have to try very hard to see what's going on in front of your face

Offline Crosby Nick

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #22 on: September 7, 2006, 05:14:30 pm »
Somone hit the nail on the head earlier in the thread saying his creativity was wasted in a side that cried out for a player like him. I was gutted when he went, mostly because you had the feeling that he had so much more to offer than the opportunities he was given.

Didn't his best games come when he linked up with the other more intelligent players at that time? Him, Smicer and Fowler used to look quite good together.

He did give Kirkland a hobble for his money in terms of most injury prone player during his time here though.

Offline nidgemo

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Semper in excremento, sole profundum qui variat.
  • Super Title: Coming soon! Official Launch May 2008
« Reply #23 on: September 7, 2006, 05:21:17 pm »
26 games, 2 goals from play.

Wasn't good enough.
I'm no longer on RAWK, but if you need to contact me about anything, you can email me on nigelmorrison@connectfree.co.uk

Offline Corkboy

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Is it getting better?
« Reply #24 on: September 7, 2006, 05:26:41 pm »

Wasn't good enough.

Not agreed in any manner. I can remember Ged playing him in the Alonso role several times. Either that, or he got so pissed off with his team mates lumping over his head, he had to come back and get the ball.

He wasn't bought for goals.

Offline Phil M

• YNWA
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #25 on: September 7, 2006, 05:26:54 pm »

Wasn't good enough.

Where did you get those stats from?

I thought he'd only played 26 games until I was corrected (thank you)
above.

Think you're on your own mate, the majority of us loved Litmanen
and wish he had had more time at Anfield.
He's one of the best attacking midfielders of his generation, to say he wasn't good enough is rubbish.
unless youre being sarcastic?

Offline Rushian

• Blanco y en botella
  • RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
  • ¡No Pasarán!
    • Red and White Kop
« Reply #26 on: September 7, 2006, 05:28:22 pm »
His best years were five years before arriving an Anfield. A wonderful little footballer but injury prone and never quite up to the pace of the Premier League.
If you're going to sign up on Betfair and fancy getting a free £25 on sign-up then use my refer code 749DCNQGK and I'll also get a £25 bonus ;)

Offline Ole Gunnar

• Legacy Fan
  • In it to win it!
« Reply #27 on: September 7, 2006, 05:28:38 pm »
Bart: Dad, what's a Muppet?

Homer: Well, it's not quite a mop, not quite a puppet, but man... (laughs, then pauses) So, to answer you question, I don't know.

Offline Garstonite

• Scouse Wash House
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #28 on: September 7, 2006, 05:31:48 pm »
His best years were five years before arriving an Anfield. A wonderful little footballer but injury prone and never quite up to the pace of the Premier League.

Him and Anelka would have certainly been an improvement on Diouf, but you're right. Shame really. Apparently he was a Liverpool fan, as well. Would have been the perfect type of player to play his career at Anfield and acted as a mentor to younger players as his time here began to end, like Bergkamp did at Arsenal.

Does anyone know how many assists Jari recorded during his short time at the club? I can only recall one off the top of my head, but I'm sure he was involved in a lot more.
« Last Edit: September 7, 2006, 05:33:49 pm by Garstonite »

Offline JMarsh

• Wise beyond his years
  • Legacy Fan
  • Girls Aloud fan.
« Reply #29 on: September 7, 2006, 05:34:15 pm »

Spot on. He probably should've achieved more in his career after being part of that wonderful mid-90s Ajax side. But things never really happened for him at Barcelona.

Offline Garstonite

• Scouse Wash House
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #30 on: September 7, 2006, 05:38:23 pm »
Spot on. He probably should've achieved more in his career after being part of that wonderful mid-90s Ajax side. But things never really happened for him at Barcelona.

Barca signed him when he was in his late-20s and I think he peaked earlier than that. Some flashes of brilliance during his spell here demonstrated he still had the ability, though. I think he played more games for us in just over half a year than he did for Barcelona in roughly two, but I would have to check.
« Last Edit: September 7, 2006, 05:40:23 pm by Garstonite »

Offline Crosby Nick

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #31 on: September 7, 2006, 05:46:01 pm »
Does anyone know how many assists Jari recorded during his short time at the club? I can only recall one off the top of my head, but I'm sure he was involved in a lot more.

Off the top of my head in his 1st season he set up Vladi away at Palace and crossed for Murphy's volley in the 2nd leg. Also involved ina  flowing move for a Gerrard screamer in a 3-0 win away at Villa. Probably a few more but that will do for now!

Offline fatboy_scouse

• Main Stander
  • A Virus With Shoes
« Reply #32 on: September 7, 2006, 05:46:34 pm »

Exactly. I particularly remember a match against Chelsea where it was painfully obvious the pace of the game was too much for him.

All this guff about Houllier not playing him enough is exactly that. I may not have agreed with many GH decicions but he was spot on with Jari, I'm afraid.

He could have been a talisman for us if he'd have joined from Ajax when we first went for him, but sadly this wasn't to be.

He was undoubtedly the type of player we were crying out for at the time, and in my opinion we finally got when we signed Luis. But, the "idea" of Jari was far more attractive than the reality.
Buy a Rennie, from a trackie - it's the new shape, for the 90's

Offline FinnishRed

• Frog in a liquidiser.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Possibilities...
« Reply #33 on: September 7, 2006, 05:47:49 pm »
In my opinion he was the kind of creative player Liverpool had been lacking years when he came to the club. He really was not given enough chances, big thanks to Houllier. Terrible waste of talent. End of.

Offline Garstonite

• Scouse Wash House
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #34 on: September 7, 2006, 05:48:43 pm »
Off the top of my head in his 1st season he set up Vladi away at Palace and crossed for Murphy's volley in the 2nd leg. Also involved ina  flowing move for a Gerrard screamer in a 3-0 win away at Villa. Probably a few more but that will do for now!

You have a better memory than I do. The only one I could think of was the first one you mentioned, at Selhurst Park. It came just a couple of minutes after he came off the bench as well, didn't it? Very good impact that we should have perhaps tried to exploit more often before getting rid.

Offline FinnishRed

• Frog in a liquidiser.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Possibilities...
« Reply #35 on: September 7, 2006, 05:49:51 pm »
I had a crush on Jari.

I know, because he had that cool mullet.

Offline Garstonite

• Scouse Wash House
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #36 on: September 7, 2006, 05:51:39 pm »
I know, because he had that cool mullet.

Precisely.

On a serious note, I think the closest player we have to him at the club today, is Fowler, not Garcia. Very experienced head, prefers to play just off the lone striker these days and tries to find killer passes, inbetween opposition defences for someone with the legs he once had to feed off.
« Last Edit: September 7, 2006, 05:55:57 pm by Garstonite »

Offline FinnishRed

• Frog in a liquidiser.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Possibilities...
« Reply #37 on: September 7, 2006, 05:59:14 pm »
Jari is number 69 in 100 players who shook the kop:

Name: Jari Litmanen

Years at Liverpool: 2001 to 2002
Position: Forward

Date-of-birth: 20/2/1971
Birthplace: Lahti, Finland

Signed from: Barcelona (January 2001)

Games: 43
Goals: 9

Honours: none

The most famous Finnish footballer of all-time joined Liverpool from Barcelona amid much excitement in January 2001 but it's fair to say that his Anfield career did not fulfil the hype. However, the boyhood Reds fan established himself as a firm favourite of the Kop during his brief stay on Merseyside. A Champions League winner with Ajax, Litmanen's name was linked with a move to Anfield long before it eventually happened. His burning desire to one day pull on the famous Red shirt was no secret but after leaving Ajax Barcelona was to be his next port of call. An unhappy spell in Catalonia followed though and in January 2001 he realised a dream when he signed for Gerard Houllier's team on a free transfer. At the time Houllier hailed the new arrival as "one of the most exciting signings Liverpool have ever made" and Litmanen appeared to be a Reds legend in the making. An exciting forward player who was most effective in a deep lying role, he was seen by the fans as a player in the mould of Kenny Dalglish and a stunning debut performance away to Aston Villa, plus an outstanding display in the Worthington Cup semi-final win over Crystal Palace left Liverpudlians drooling over their new import. Unfortunately, injury ruled him out of the exciting climax to the 2000/01 campaign and he missed all three finals as an unprecedented cup treble was won. Houllier's mysterious reluctance to use Litmanen the following season, when the Finn was selected only sparingly, was to be a source of much frustration to many supporters but when called upon he did serve up some memorable moments – netting a fantastic match-winning goal in 1-0 home win over Tottenham and playing a starring role in the famous Champions League success over AS Roma on the occasion of Houllier's return to the dug-out after his life-saving heart operation. He also came off the bench to score an amazing individual goal in the Champions League quarter-final with Bayer 04 Leverkusen in Germany but that was to be his last notable contribution to the Liverpool cause and shortly before the transfer deadline in August 2002 he returned to Ajax. Despite his undoubted skill and creativity many supporters will say he was underused at Liverpool and Litmanen's career at Anfield will go down as a case of what might have been.

Sold to: Ajax (August 2002)

Claim to fame: Setting Liverpool on their way to a famous victory against AS Roma in the Champions League with a coolly taken first half penalty

Did you know? Litmanen's boyhood hero was Kenny Dalglish

Where is he now? Playing for Swedish club Malmo

Didi Hamann on Jari Litmanen: "I've never seen a player with such a good eye for the final forward next to him or his team-mates. He never missed a pass, his vision was just unbelievable. He wasn't the quickest when he came to us but his performance on his debut at Aston Villa was one of the best I've ever seen in a Liverpool shirt."
« Last Edit: September 7, 2006, 06:19:53 pm by Finnish Red »

Offline Phil M

• YNWA
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #38 on: September 7, 2006, 06:06:58 pm »
Jari is number 69 in 100 players who shook the kop:

Name: Jari Litmanen

Years at Liverpool: 2001 to 2002
Position: Forward

Date-of-birth: 20/2/1971
Birthplace: Lhati, Finland

Signed from: Barcelona (January 2001)

Games: 43
Goals: 9

Honours: none

The most famous Finnish footballer of all-time joined Liverpool from Barcelona amid much excitement in January 2001 but it's fair to say that his Anfield career did not fulfil the hype. However, the boyhood Reds fan established himself as a firm favourite of the Kop during his brief stay on Merseyside. A Champions League winner with Ajax, Litmanen's name was linked with a move to Anfield long before it eventually happened. His burning desire to one day pull on the famous Red shirt was no secret but after leaving Ajax Barcelona was to be his next port of call. An unhappy spell in Catalonia followed though and in January 2001 he realised a dream when he signed for Gerard Houllier's team on a free transfer. At the time Houllier hailed the new arrival as "one of the most exciting signings Liverpool have ever made" and Litmanen appeared to be a Reds legend in the making. An exciting forward player who was most effective in a deep lying role, he was seen by the fans as a player in the mould of Kenny Dalglish and a stunning debut performance away to Aston Villa, plus an outstanding display in the Worthington Cup semi-final win over Crystal Palace left Liverpudlians drooling over their new import. Unfortunately, injury ruled him out of the exciting climax to the 2000/01 campaign and he missed all three finals as an unprecedented cup treble was won. Houllier's mysterious reluctance to use Litmanen the following season, when the Finn was selected only sparingly, was to be a source of much frustration to many supporters but when called upon he did serve up some memorable moments – netting a fantastic match-winning goal in 1-0 home win over Tottenham and playing a starring role in the famous Champions League success over AS Roma on the occasion of Houllier's return to the dug-out after his life-saving heart operation. He also came off the bench to score an amazing individual goal in the Champions League quarter-final with Bayer 04 Leverkusen in Germany but that was to be his last notable contribution to the Liverpool cause and shortly before the transfer deadline in August 2002 he returned to Ajax. Despite his undoubted skill and creativity many supporters will say he was underused at Liverpool and Litmanen's career at Anfield will go down as a case of what might have been.

Sold to: Ajax (August 2002)

Claim to fame: Setting Liverpool on their way to a famous victory against AS Roma in the Champions League with a coolly taken first half penalty

Did you know? Litmanen's boyhood hero was Kenny Dalglish

Where is he now? Playing for Swedish club Malmo

Didi Hamann on Jari Litmanen: "I've never seen a player with such a good eye for the final forward next to him or his team-mates. He never missed a pass, his vision was just unbelievable. He wasn't the quickest when he came to us but his performance on his debut at Aston Villa was one of the best I've ever seen in a Liverpool shirt."

Great post.  :)

Offline mulfella

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Hedgehogs are boss
« Reply #39 on: September 7, 2006, 06:45:46 pm »
Jari played a part in my favourite goal of recent Liverpool times.

Worked in the centre circle picking up the ball off Gerrard who then set off on a run down the right flank. Jari sent a wonderful pass through three Villa players to Murphy on the edge of the area. Murphy then flicked it first time into the path of the onrushing Gerrard for a screamer. It was an absolute beauty and I don't think I've seen many better since.

Anothe one which sticks in my mind in against City in the FA Cup at Anfield. He hit a glorious back spinned pass, a proper golf shot, over the top of the defence for Heskey to finsh across the keeper first time. Top Class.
A place full of grammer Nazi's?
'Grammar' and no apostrophe in 'nazis'.