Author Topic: Boss Fight Memories - Who's Your Gaming Nemesis?  (Read 999 times)

Online Buck Pete

• GV66 LJF for short. King Kong Balls. Bathes in peat. Partial to a walnut whip. Gets wet for 24/7 but disappointed Chopper. On the mortgage blacklist. Too tight to really be called a
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Boss Fight Memories - Who's Your Gaming Nemesis?
« on: August 17, 2023, 04:31:27 pm »
After recently completing Sekiro and the original Dark Souls a while before that, I am very familiar with FromSoft tough-ass boss fights.

My own personal boss fight nightmare, was none other than Ornstein and Smough (O&S) on the original Dark Souls.  I would have to look back in the Souls thread, but it took me several reinstalls of the game and literally years of trying, to finally beat these two.

When I did eventually defeat O&S, the waves of euphoria almost brought me to tears of unbridled joy.  After literally hundreds of attempts, the sight of the words "VICTORY ACHIEVED" will forever be etched into my gaming memory banks.  Yeah, I know this sounds overdramatic, but I will honestly never forget beating O&S for the first time.

Honoury mentioned to Father Gascoigne in Bloodborne. He was an absolute devil of an early-game boss.  Let us not forget The Valkyrie Queen and Gna in the last two editions of God Of War.  They were both total bitches to fight.

Sekiro bosses, Glock Saint, Geni, Owl Father, and Demon Of Hatred were all very tough Mofos, but none of them got me to the levels of frustration and despair as O&S did.

SO...

Who was/is your boss nemesis? or which old foes do you love revisiting to renew old acquaintances?

Or perhaps, your fav boss was a pushover but just so much fun to fight?

:wave

Offline ScouserAtHeart

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Pissing Manc "fans" off since 1999.
Re: Boss Fight Memories - Who's Your Gaming Nemesis?
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2023, 05:06:52 pm »
Mike Tyson

Till I figured out the eye thing  ;D
"Jürgen Klopp is bringing Liverpool's 'fuck you' back. And I can't wait."

Offline Zlen

• Suspicious of systems. But getting lots.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2023, 05:10:53 pm »
Father Owl in Sekiro.

Online Buck Pete

• GV66 LJF for short. King Kong Balls. Bathes in peat. Partial to a walnut whip. Gets wet for 24/7 but disappointed Chopper. On the mortgage blacklist. Too tight to really be called a
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2023, 05:13:31 pm »
Mike Tyson

Till I figured out the eye thing  ;D

Punchout?

Offline ScouserAtHeart

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Pissing Manc "fans" off since 1999.
"Jürgen Klopp is bringing Liverpool's 'fuck you' back. And I can't wait."

Online Malaysian Kopite

• Feels shivers when he looks a Trquarista's...
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2023, 08:33:45 pm »
Manus, Orphan, Owl Father and Cleric Beast (lol) were the toughest From bosses for me. Blood Stained beast took ages as well until I figured out that it wasn't really balanced for coop (HP got boosted far too much) and beat him solo. I suspect I might still be fighting Malenia today as well if it wasn't for Spirit Ashes and I still somewhat regret not beating her solo.

The only boss I've ever called it quits against though is Set from SF4. Unbeatable for me, but I'm not the best at fighting games and that boss was defo made to get as many coins in the arcade as possible.
Football without fans is nothing.

We've won 18 titles, 5 European Cups, 7 FA Cups, but today must be the greatest victory of all.

Offline OsirisMVZ

• Legacy Fan
  • Grew up with Houllier and Rafa teams
« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2023, 05:41:45 am »
Horah Loux from Elden Ring took me a good while to "get", and at the launch time trying it co-op was horrific as you had to rely on others to time their jumps too. Then he had the damn OHKO grab move. Thy strength befits a crown.

With Dark Souls 3, Aldrich made me lose my head a few times.

The toughest enemy in Tears of the Kingdom was that part of your brain that forgot you could use the Ascend ability when exploring.

Offline I've been a good boy

• "There are two ways of spreading light; to be the candle or the mirror that receives it." Loves a good set of open flaps. And a bowl of Coco Poops! No chance of getting a coffee in his house.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7 on: August 18, 2023, 08:29:08 am »
Lazaravic in Uncharted 2 was a pain to defeat. Didn't realise you had to keep running around and jumping over obstacles while shooting him near the tree sap to make him weak.

Offline Zee_26

• Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #8 on: August 19, 2023, 09:37:14 am »
Psycho Mantis in Metal Gear Solid. Blew my mind at how clever it was when I first did it.

Offline Ycuzz

• of the wonderful things he does! I've soiled myself..
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #9 on: August 23, 2023, 12:48:02 pm »
Kerafyrm (Sleeper) - Everquest
@Yvanicuzz

Offline Henry Gale

• Margot Robbie Stalker
  • Legacy Fan
  • My name is Henry Gale. I'm from Minnesota.
« Reply #10 on: August 24, 2023, 11:36:55 am »
The Tyrant on the plane in Code Veronica!

Took me all night, Finally beat it at like 4am and I was so pleased  I went straight to bed. Woke up the next day and realised it hadn't saved so had to beat him again  ;D

Offline Bread

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #11 on: August 24, 2023, 12:18:48 pm »
The Tyrant on the plane in Code Veronica!

Took me all night, Finally beat it at like 4am and I was so pleased  I went straight to bed. Woke up the next day and realised it hadn't saved so had to beat him again  ;D

Very easy to consider yourself soft-locked in that fight and start again. Your perseverance is to be admired.

Nemesis in the original RE3 used to haunt my fucking dreams.

Online Draex

• Geek God of Typing Letters. Hugo unleashes Jaws? Purveyor of fuel products in Kent.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #12 on: August 24, 2023, 01:02:50 pm »
Final fight in double dragon 2.. friendships were ruined..

Offline redan

• yellowan pinkan green. purplean orangean blue.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • I'd prefer a beer!!
« Reply #13 on: August 25, 2023, 06:55:26 am »
I think all my main Boss memories come from the Mega Drive era and it’s not the fact they were in the most interesting or most difficult but purely for the fact that with that era of gaming you had a limited amount of lives which depended on how well you’d played the game and once you were defeated that was it, no save slots, no checkpoints, back to the beginning of the game for you lad.

There was so much riding on it, not to mention getting to the final boss was usually an achievement in itself due to the aforementioned reasons. Sonic 2 having that face off with Robot Sonic only to have another battle of Robotnik after. Streets of Rage 2 with a never ending lift up a building with enemies constantly dropping from the ceiling, then you face the man himself Mr X (I think that’s his name). Spending hours without a break or pause to complete a game just for short cut scene was very satisfying

Offline Craig Mac

• Leeches files boo hiss!
  • Kopite
  • We shall not, we shall not be moved!
« Reply #14 on: August 25, 2023, 09:17:03 am »
The End from Metal Gear Solid 3

Offline Rob K

• He is the one and only! Naked and caked in mud
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Ron Fucking Swanson
« Reply #15 on: August 30, 2023, 11:18:27 am »
This gang of twats from Diddy Kong Racing 64

Give me all the bacon and eggs you have...

Offline PhilV

• Has difficulty in getting it up, apparently.....
  • Legacy Fan
  • Epic Swindler
« Reply #16 on: August 30, 2023, 11:20:16 am »
Emerald Weapon in FF VII kicked my ass more times than I care to admit, to the point I generally ignored it during other playthroughs.

Online Draex

• Geek God of Typing Letters. Hugo unleashes Jaws? Purveyor of fuel products in Kent.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #17 on: August 30, 2023, 11:28:34 am »

Too soon! You have awakened me too soon, Executus!

Online AndyMuller

• Has always wondered how to do it. Rice, Rice, Baby. Wants to have George Michael. Would batter A@A at karate.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #18 on: August 31, 2023, 01:04:58 pm »
Father Gascoigne was a c*nt.

Offline classycarra

• The Left Disonourable Chuntering Member For Scousepool.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #19 on: August 31, 2023, 01:26:22 pm »
Agree with all the calls for the MGS bosses, always a great event. Always enjoyed Sniper Wolf from the original game

Hollow Knight had some really challenging bosses that brought things back to how it used to be gaming growing up - lots of retries! The one with the trio of Mantis's was one of the most fun, but there were loads

Offline Kashinoda

• More broken biscuits than made of crisps
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • ....mmm
« Reply #20 on: August 31, 2023, 02:09:50 pm »
Bell Gargoyles in Dark Souls, the nearest bonfire being miles away also made it incredibly annoying.
:D

Offline gjr1

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #21 on: August 31, 2023, 02:57:26 pm »
Kerafyrm (Sleeper) - Everquest

Now there’s a name I haven’t heard in a long time.

I remember my first kill of AoW. Some feat for the guild I was in… where did the years go. /sigh
Obi-Wan:
Mos Eisley spaceport. You will never find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy. We must be cautious.

Online Buck Pete

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #22 on: August 31, 2023, 03:30:31 pm »
Bell Gargoyles in Dark Souls, the nearest bonfire being miles away also made it incredibly annoying.

That's what drove me mad about Ornstein & Smough.  The same old run from the bonfire to the fog gate and then having to avoid the Royal Sentinel guarding the gate.

Thankfully, FromSoftware went easier on us in Sekiro.  The save idols were never too far from the Bosses.

Offline dalarr

• hästarr. Call me sensitive.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #23 on: August 31, 2023, 04:19:13 pm »
Crack (Fat Joe) in Def Jam Fight for New York.

Offline Ycuzz

• of the wonderful things he does! I've soiled myself..
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #24 on: September 2, 2023, 10:34:12 pm »
Now there’s a name I haven’t heard in a long time.

I remember my first kill of AoW. Some feat for the guild I was in… where did the years go. /sigh

Glad there's someone else, mate.

Such good times. AoW was good. Early planes was also absolute pains.

But Kerafyrm wasn't supposed to be killed. We just threw bodies at him for hours. Epic'd Clerics rezzing galore.

Such a great game.
@Yvanicuzz

Offline End Product

• doesn't always come out of the right end
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #25 on: September 14, 2023, 12:02:40 am »
Eldin ring , I celebrated when beating that black blade fella near the end. Also spent a long time beating the melenia queen of blades and when I did I fluked beating her without getting hit, safe to say in the previous 867 attempts, I , got , hit.

Also a danny murphy extra time winner against Roma in the European cup final of championship manager 0102 had me going mental. Roma were a real bastard end boss.
No time for caution.

Offline RedSince86

• I blame Chris de Burgh
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #26 on: September 14, 2023, 06:28:10 pm »
Great shouts for MGS1 bosses.

I have to go with Mael Radec Killzone 2.

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/D11SLJwRJUU" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/D11SLJwRJUU</a>
"Since its purchase by the sheikh of Abu Dhabi, Manchester City has managed to cheat its way into the top echelon of European football and create a global, immensely profitable football empire, ignoring rules along the way. The club's newfound glory is rooted in lies."

Offline darragh85

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #27 on: November 26, 2023, 07:47:54 pm »
the boss at the end of tomb raider 3. i never actually finished that game.

I played on a PC that just about met the minimum specs and the game would load up before the video. as soon as it did i was as good as dead.

The boss at the end of Sonic 2 broke my heart as a 9 year old also. took me forever to beat it.