Author Topic: Race Across The World (BBC Two)  (Read 8277 times)

Offline rowan_d

• boat. Señor Paolo de Souza-Farquharson :)
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
Re: Race Across The World (BBC Two)
« Reply #80 on: April 21, 2023, 04:07:08 pm »
Episode 1 - 'I think we're learning how to have a father-daughter relationship'
Episode 2 - 'I think we're learning how to have a father-daughter relationship'
Episode 8 - 'I think we're learning how to have a father-daughter relationship'
Back home - 'Her phone's been turned off for seven weeks now'

Online RedSince86

• I blame Chris de Burgh
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #81 on: April 21, 2023, 05:41:50 pm »
Zainib is great. Mobeen not so much and he keeps wearing that Dutch top (I think it is) which is annoying.
Colombian shirt I think.

I hope they do Asia again like the first season.
"Since its purchase by the sheikh of Abu Dhabi, Manchester City has managed to cheat its way into the top echelon of European football and create a global, immensely profitable football empire, ignoring rules along the way. The club's newfound glory is rooted in lies."

Offline JerseyKloppite

• HE'S THE DADDY!!! Staff Room Gimp. Very excited, but cheapened, mail order scam victim with bling headphones. Lovespuds. Jaqen H'ghar, the Mod without a Face.
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
  • Exiled to Formby
« Reply #82 on: April 21, 2023, 08:50:00 pm »
Colombian shirt I think.

I do prefer the series when they have options as to which route to take. I'm hoping the last few episodes in the more built up areas have a bit more variety. Does seem faintly ridiculous that they all end up on the same boat, bus and train over and over again.

A route across Africa would be by far the most interesting.

There are some places that would be fascinating to see that they might struggle to integrate with the format. Combination of NZ/Aus/PNG and the Pacific Islands would be awesome but I imagine that the cost of all of the travel by sea would be prohibitive, and the land parts would be fairly short. Similarly could combine Japan, Korea, Mongolia, China, India etc.

Offline The G in Gerrard

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #83 on: April 22, 2023, 09:18:12 am »
Colombian shirt I think.

Is it Colombian? ;D

I'd love to do this show. Didn't realize they are away from home for two months at least (depending how well they do).

Offline The G in Gerrard

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #84 on: April 22, 2023, 09:19:52 am »
Can’t agree that Claudia is fine. She had a tantrum at the petrol station because they were struggling to get a lift and said she was past caring about what their plan was. Kevin then made the (stupid) decision at the next place to get a cab, probably because he couldn’t handle another meltdown, and she said he should have consulted with her and had cost them the race! Amazing.

Great show and Canada looks beautiful

I'd rather travel with her than her Dad. He's clueless and has little idea about the game.

I just think she got frustrated by how little her Dad takes note of her opinion.

Canada is a wonderful country.

Online RedSince86

• I blame Chris de Burgh
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #85 on: April 22, 2023, 11:46:54 am »
Is it Colombian? ;D

I'd love to do this show. Didn't realize they are away from home for two months at least (depending how well they do).
Yeah it's the Colombian shirt.

https://www.amazon.de/-/en/Adidas-Soccer-Colombia-Jersey-Small/dp/B075FBS53G
"Since its purchase by the sheikh of Abu Dhabi, Manchester City has managed to cheat its way into the top echelon of European football and create a global, immensely profitable football empire, ignoring rules along the way. The club's newfound glory is rooted in lies."

Offline The G in Gerrard

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #86 on: April 22, 2023, 12:51:08 pm »
Yeah it's the Colombian shirt.

https://www.amazon.de/-/en/Adidas-Soccer-Colombia-Jersey-Small/dp/B075FBS53G
I guess due to how much they can carry they can't have many different clothes but could have chose a better top.

Offline Stockholm Syndrome

• Djurgården Disease
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #87 on: April 22, 2023, 12:53:44 pm »
I do prefer the series when they have options as to which route to take. I'm hoping the last few episodes in the more built up areas have a bit more variety. Does seem faintly ridiculous that they all end up on the same boat, bus and train over and over again.

A route across Africa would be by far the most interesting.

There are some places that would be fascinating to see that they might struggle to integrate with the format. Combination of NZ/Aus/PNG and the Pacific Islands would be awesome but I imagine that the cost of all of the travel by sea would be prohibitive, and the land parts would be fairly short. Similarly could combine Japan, Korea, Mongolia, China, India etc.

My idea would be Japan to Australia, via Korea, Malaysia and Thailand, and the likes of Indonesia, Philippines, New Guinea, etc

Offline The G in Gerrard

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #88 on: April 22, 2023, 12:56:20 pm »
My idea would be Japan to Australia, via Korea, Malaysia and Thailand, and the likes of Indonesia, Philippines, New Guinea, etc
That'd be fantastic. Japan I've always wanted to visit. Thailand & Indonesia are beautiful places.

Offline Fabulous_aurelio

• You will always find him in the kitchen at parties (most likely alone in a corner with a half-empty glass of Tizer keeping his powder dry...)
  • Legacy Fan
  • Well Red.
« Reply #89 on: April 23, 2023, 09:27:54 pm »
I've not read this thread so sorry about that. Just wanted to say this series is crap.
"Salahs in here......"

Offline redan

• yellowan pinkan green. purplean orangean blue.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • I'd prefer a beer!!
« Reply #90 on: April 27, 2023, 03:55:41 pm »
I feel this weeks episode was the most frustrating of the lot (and that’s saying something)

Just when you think it’s opened up completely,
Spoiler
3 of the 4 pairs end up on the same bus to the finish again! Also is there some sort of rules against sleeping rough? Because Claudia and Kevin spending $500 for a night in a hotel is reckless even by their standards. You’d sleep in a bus station or something surely for one night??
[close]

Offline Charlie Adams fried egg

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #91 on: April 27, 2023, 05:05:37 pm »
I've not read this thread so sorry about that. Just wanted to say this series is crap.
Fair enough if that's your view, but why?

As a viewer you still get to see loads of an interesting country and you also see how people react to each other and the pressure they're under.

Fewer public transport options just presents a different kind of challenge, and encourages people to be more resourceful. For me this series has been even more about budget than the 1st 2 series. It's also been far more about how effectively they can put themselves out there, ask for favours / look for work and then build relationships with the people they have met. There's been much more about the people the contestants have met this series.

Offline JerseyKloppite

• HE'S THE DADDY!!! Staff Room Gimp. Very excited, but cheapened, mail order scam victim with bling headphones. Lovespuds. Jaqen H'ghar, the Mod without a Face.
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
  • Exiled to Formby
« Reply #92 on: April 27, 2023, 09:48:14 pm »
I feel this weeks episode was the most frustrating of the lot (and that’s saying something)

Just when you think it’s opened up completely,
Spoiler
3 of the 4 pairs end up on the same bus to the finish again! Also is there some sort of rules against sleeping rough? Because Claudia and Kevin spending $500 for a night in a hotel is reckless even by their standards. You’d sleep in a bus station or something surely for one night??
[close]

Spoiler
;D I think unlike in the other episodes that was a bit of a fluke though. If Kevin and Claudia hadn't gone to Niagara Falls they'd have presumably got an earlier bus.

Their hotel stay is bizarre. I'm surprised there aren't any night buses or later transport options, surely it's preferable to just go and doze in a chair in a bus station rather than spend £500 on a hotel room.
[close]

Offline JerseyKloppite

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
  • Exiled to Formby
« Reply #93 on: April 28, 2023, 08:11:30 am »
I do think that this week's episode again highlighted problems with the editing process.

Kevin and Claudia get a lift to Guelph and then magically they're in Toronto with no explanation. Similar to when Ladi and Monique were stuck in a national park with a bear threat in one scheme, and then getting on a train the next. When budgets are tight these things feel important to the show ;D Just don't see why they couldn't explain it in a voiceover if they don't have time to show what they did. "Having hitched a lift / got a taxi / hiked from Guelph to Toronto... Etc"

Offline BER

• Goat fondler.
  • Legacy Fan
  • FLOSS IS BOSS!!
« Reply #94 on: April 28, 2023, 08:36:07 am »
I do think that this week's episode again highlighted problems with the editing process.

Kevin and Claudia get a lift to Guelph and then magically they're in Toronto with no explanation. Similar to when Ladi and Monique were stuck in a national park with a bear threat in one scheme, and then getting on a train the next. When budgets are tight these things feel important to the show ;D Just don't see why they couldn't explain it in a voiceover if they don't have time to show what they did. "Having hitched a lift / got a taxi / hiked from Guelph to Toronto... Etc"

They probably hop into the TV vans whenever they don't find lifts or get stuck, or when they go hundreds of miles out of their way to see Bears or fly in a plane. It's still a highly regimented production. Much more glaring this season because of the lack of public transport.

Offline Qston

• Loves a bit of monkey tennis and especially loves a bit of sausage relief......singularly though #sausage
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Believer
« Reply #95 on: April 28, 2023, 09:57:59 am »
I enjoy this show, but answer me this. Is there any rule saying you can`t just hire a car for 6 weeks ? With the budget they have, you could hire a car, fuel it and perhaps buy a tent ?  Or even better, a cheap RV ?
"Just a normal lad from Liverpool whose dream has just come true" Trent June 1st 2019

Offline redan

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • I'd prefer a beer!!
« Reply #96 on: April 28, 2023, 12:46:52 pm »
I enjoy this show, but answer me this. Is there any rule saying you can`t just hire a car for 6 weeks ? With the budget they have, you could hire a car, fuel it and perhaps buy a tent ?  Or even better, a cheap RV ?
Good point but not sure if the budget would stretch. The two friends this series hired a car pretty early on in the journey and I seem to remember it taking a huge chunk out of their budget as I guess insurance and stuff would need to be factored too

Offline Stockholm Syndrome

• Djurgården Disease
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #97 on: April 28, 2023, 01:36:11 pm »

You need to factor in food and board as well, and the fact that some stops don't have places to return your rental.

Offline killer-heels

• Hates everyone and everything. Including YOU! Negativity not just for Christmas. Thinks 'irony' means 'metallic'......
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #98 on: April 28, 2023, 03:04:25 pm »
I actually liked this week's episode because there were different ways to get to Montreal and Quebec, as shown by who came in first eventually. At least it wasnt an episode full of hitchhikes and there was public transport.

Kevin and Claudia are absolutely mental. No way they make it to the end. They are definitely the least likeable, whereas the rest of the teams are all really likeable. Zainab and Mobeen definitely are my favourites, especially after what issues they talked about this week.

Amazing to think Tricia only has 5% of her sight remaining. No issues working in a kitchen then! They also come across as far older than late 40's.

Offline Libertine

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Nothing behind me, everything ahead of me
« Reply #99 on: April 28, 2023, 05:58:43 pm »
Enjoyable episode. Was very funny in the end when they all squeezed into the lift with their backpacks. Although I do find all the running for the finish line a bit stupid - makes no difference if you are one minute ahead or behind at that stage.

Kevin was describing himself as really smart last week. Hopefully next week they run out of budget in the middle of Newfoundland and the production just leaves them there for good.

Offline The G in Gerrard

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #100 on: April 28, 2023, 07:41:16 pm »
I actually liked this week's episode because there were different ways to get to Montreal and Quebec, as shown by who came in first eventually. At least it wasnt an episode full of hitchhikes and there was public transport.

Kevin and Claudia are absolutely mental. No way they make it to the end. They are definitely the least likeable, whereas the rest of the teams are all really likeable. Zainab and Mobeen definitely are my favourites, especially after what issues they talked about this week.
Agreed. This week was better I thought. Part from two of them in the lift getting to final bit ;D

Zainib couple is the best. Hopefully something works out for them away from the show.

Offline JerseyKloppite

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
  • Exiled to Formby
« Reply #101 on: April 28, 2023, 07:53:29 pm »
Although I do find all the running for the finish line a bit stupid - makes no difference if you are one minute ahead or behind at that stage.

I agree with this - reckon it would be quite interesting if they got a financial bonus for getting to a checkpoint first. Even something relatively small like £100, or some kind of treat.

Offline rowan_d

• boat. Señor Paolo de Souza-Farquharson :)
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
« Reply #102 on: May 2, 2023, 08:54:27 pm »
Catching up on last week's episode

Loving the tension and sniping in the teams now. Claudia and Kevin might come to blows at some point, he does her head in. Are they allowed to sleep rough? These Montreal hotel prices are a massive dent in the budget.

edit: Already asked by others

« Last Edit: May 2, 2023, 09:25:03 pm by rowan_d »

Offline Cracking Left Foot

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #103 on: May 3, 2023, 04:34:40 pm »
I've not been as engaged with this series as I was with the previous two. I don't know whether it's because i binged the previous two in the early days of the lockdown when foreign travel seemed a long-gone idea, or whether because I'm not enjoying watching people travel across a country (albeit an enormous one) than visiting loads of different countries. Also, something about the editing seems a bit off, and I don't like this new idea they have of eliminating a team (although if we had to get rid of anyone it would be the two brothers who were by far the least interesting contestants this year).

Still good telly though - beautifully shot and all the contestants (apart from Kevin, who is either thick as mince or just doesn't understand the rules of the show re budgeting) are likeable and fun to watch.

Offline Charlie Adams fried egg

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #104 on: May 4, 2023, 01:22:21 pm »
I've not been as engaged with this series as I was with the previous two. I don't know whether it's because i binged the previous two in the early days of the lockdown when foreign travel seemed a long-gone idea, or whether because I'm not enjoying watching people travel across a country (albeit an enormous one) than visiting loads of different countries. Also, something about the editing seems a bit off, and I don't like this new idea they have of eliminating a team (although if we had to get rid of anyone it would be the two brothers who were by far the least interesting contestants this year).

Still good telly though - beautifully shot and all the contestants (apart from Kevin, who is either thick as mince or just doesn't understand the rules of the show re budgeting) are likeable and fun to watch.
We've been having a weekly sweep betting on how many minutes before he mentions a taxi. Agree about the others, likeable people.

Offline JerseyKloppite

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
  • Exiled to Formby
« Reply #105 on: May 4, 2023, 10:31:50 pm »
Good episode this week.

Spoiler
Very much Zainab and Mobeen's to lose with that lead, but they're going to need to get a ferry in the next leg and the timing of that might wipe the whole lead out, and then the other pairs have a bit more money than them. Looking on Google it goes every other day in the afternoon, if they get it and the others don't then it's over. Otherwise they'll all the same ferry and it's a race to the end.
[close]

Offline redan

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • I'd prefer a beer!!
« Reply #106 on: May 5, 2023, 11:26:45 am »
I might be wrong but I can’t remember three teams going into the final leg with some much of their budget left. I think they all have $500+, looking at where’s left surely they can do the last bit quite comfortably. Makes Kevin and Claudia’s hotel decision even more baffling when you consider that’s the difference now

Offline JerseyKloppite

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
  • Exiled to Formby
« Reply #107 on: May 5, 2023, 05:27:34 pm »
I might be wrong but I can’t remember three teams going into the final leg with some much of their budget left. I think they all have $500+, looking at where’s left surely they can do the last bit quite comfortably. Makes Kevin and Claudia’s hotel decision even more baffling when you consider that’s the difference now

They all need to get a ferry which might eat up a fair chunk of that budget.

Offline Machae

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #108 on: May 10, 2023, 01:54:29 am »
It’s not a bad programme but it’s obvious they have assistance, such as most of them always being able to find a lift off generous locals, and those jobs they do have to be agreed in advance by the researchers with seemingly no interview process or references required, even if it was just a few hours work.

Yeah course it is, it's entertainment TV, buts it's good to watch nonetheless. Final tonight

Offline Cracking Left Foot

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #109 on: May 10, 2023, 02:00:44 pm »
Also a reunion special on after the news at 10.40pm.

Offline killer-heels

• Hates everyone and everything. Including YOU! Negativity not just for Christmas. Thinks 'irony' means 'metallic'......
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #110 on: May 10, 2023, 09:52:25 pm »
Bit disconcerting how nice all these Canadians are.

Offline Disregarder

• Andshe'llripyerknackersoff
  • Anny Roader
  • TV's own
« Reply #111 on: May 10, 2023, 10:34:13 pm »
Great show. Don't understand why they bin off one set of contestants early on then let all the others keep going until the finish though. Weird. Either don't bother or cut them out one by one until there's only two left
My 8k rig goes boom
PSN: OireCocobean

Offline jizzspunk

• Cumming soon. Or going. Depends how 'real' it gets. #livinginrealism
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #112 on: May 11, 2023, 07:26:16 am »
a friend of mine bumped into one of the contestants from series 1, contestant seemed to imply the time gap at the end of a leg is not necessarily the time gap they send you out when the next leg gets going, they just close it up, in 3 series no pair has won by a day or more, which you'd think could easily happen after 50 odd days, although I haven't watched the final episode of the current season, but seemingly not

Just wished they'd choose some more experienced travellers as a fresh up, the current contestants 🙄

according to 24/7 I will be scrambling round for tickets on the exchange all season #STH #19awayclub

Offline JerseyKloppite

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
  • Exiled to Formby
« Reply #113 on: May 11, 2023, 07:46:44 am »
a friend of mine bumped into one of the contestants from series 1, contestant seemed to imply the time gap at the end of a leg is not necessarily the time gap they send you out when the next leg gets going, they just close it up, in 3 series no pair has won by a day or more, which you'd think could easily happen after 50 odd days, although I haven't watched the final episode of the current season, but seemingly not

Just wished they'd choose some more experienced travellers as a fresh up, the current contestants 🙄

The issue with the time gap between legs is that if you arrive at the end of a leg anytime between say 9am and 3pm, you start the next leg between 9pm and 3am which is a bit useless as there are often limited transport options at that time unless there happens to be a nightbus. So you can get in with a decent lead but see that effectively evaporate when you have to hang around for a bus, or (as happened in this series a few times) find another hotel to sleep in, which you have to pay for, whilst the others are still snoozing for free in the posh paid for one. Of course it could happen the other way but I think in practice this can naturally truncate the legs a bit.

Then you've got various legs which are wholly dependent on contestants getting a particular train or boat. Thinking of that one across the Caspian in the first series or the train up to Churchill in this series. You can get there 8-10 hours early but there's only one service a day so other teams can massively catch up.

I think there are other ways the production company may try to nudge or intervene to ensure a close race but by and large with the budgets they have they're all likely to creep along a bit, and all the jobs pay roughly the same.

Not sure about more experienced travellers. Part of the fun of the show is seeing normal people go on an adventure and thinking "I could do that" or often "I would have done that better" ;D They also want the show to be about experiences as much as the race, people who haven't had opportunities or adventures like this brfore. Seasoned travellers probably wouldn't be going hundreds of miles out of their way for a plane ride or to visit Niagara falls :lmao

Offline moondog

• dot com! Wake him up before he go-gos.....
  • Legacy Fan
  • Bring the noise
« Reply #114 on: May 11, 2023, 08:22:40 am »
I think seasoned travelers would spoil the show, not many tv shows where any one of three groups/ contestants would be pleasing winners. I really enjoyed this series and the Adoption conversation was a genuinely moving bit of tv.

Offline killer-heels

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #115 on: May 11, 2023, 09:21:08 am »
Celebrity version of this in the Autumn.

Offline jizzspunk

• Cumming soon. Or going. Depends how 'real' it gets. #livinginrealism
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #116 on: May 11, 2023, 09:44:28 am »
Celebrity version of this in the Autumn.

Yes there is, the contestant from series 1 mentioned this and my friend bumped into him way back last summer, I presume it's already been filmed

according to 24/7 I will be scrambling round for tickets on the exchange all season #STH #19awayclub

Offline Machae

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #117 on: May 11, 2023, 11:18:15 am »
Thought series 3 was inferior to the previous ones, limited transport options, vast wilderness of nothingness etc. Scenes were amazing though.

Spoiler
Predicted these 2 would win, easier to get a lift when you're two middle aged white women
[close]

Offline killer-heels

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #118 on: May 11, 2023, 01:28:55 pm »
I know Tricia is now practically blind and her progress is genuinely inspiring but was a bit funny how her and Cathie constantly talked about how women still have much to give when they move into their 'older' years and how they called themselves the helpless, old people of the group when they are in their late 40's. Kevin and Ladi were literally several years older than them.
« Last Edit: May 12, 2023, 10:29:14 am by killer-heels »

Offline cheesemason

• Kopite
« Reply #119 on: May 11, 2023, 03:57:43 pm »
I know Tricia is now practically blind and her progress is genuinely inspiring but was a bit funny how her and Cathie constantly talked about how women still have much to give when they move into their 'older' years and how they called themselves the helpless, old people of the group when they are in their late 40's. Kevin and and Ladi were literally several years older than them.

They are the definitive example of you are as old as you feel. My wife is older but you’d think she was 20 years younger from the way she is.