Author Topic: Star Trek  (Read 127429 times)

Offline Brian Blessed

• Gordon's ALIVE? Practically Bear Grylls. Backwards Bluesman Bastard.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Super Title: Feedback Tourist #4
Re: Star Trek
« Reply #1280 on: April 4, 2024, 10:10:15 pm »
Agreed on Lowe Decks, it gets the nostalgia reference level just right, and is a good show to boot.

Discovery’s final season has started. I really like the use of a certain old episode to set off the direction, hopefully it pans out.
Anyone else being strangely drawn to Dion Dublin's nipples?

Offline Riquende

• Taking one for the team by giving one to a lucky mascot? Pix or stfu!! (Although is PC is from the 90s so you'll have to wait a while...)
  • Legacy Fan
  • Μετρήστε με με μανία
« Reply #1281 on: April 5, 2024, 09:08:01 am »
My non-ST watching partner made the mistake of joining me for some of the Lower Decks episodes. She enjoyed them and started asking questions about some of the events referenced, the backstory etc. I told her it would take too much effort to explain and if whe wanted to know more we'd have to start watching The Next Generation from the beginning.

Anyway we're over halfway through season 2 now and saw the Borg for the first time last night. I've had to apologise for the quality of the show several times but have promised that from S3 onwards it's a huge leap up.

She isn't yet aware that I'm going to just start weaving in DS9 episodes from the middle of S5 onwards and then bomb on with that into the Dominiion War (I've looked it up, the Jem'Hadar are introduced in the very next DS9 episode after TNG ends).

Not going to bother with Voyager though.

"The nicest thing about quotes is that they give us a nodding acquaintance with the originator which is often socially impressive."

~ Kenneth Williams, with whom I'm noddingly acquainted. Socially impressed?

Offline Brian Blessed

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1282 on: April 5, 2024, 04:18:02 pm »
I recently did a big Trek rewatch/first watch, stating with TNG. I’ve seen all of this multiple times. Then DS9. I moved countries during its run and missed entire swathes of episodes, much more than I realised, so it was great to complete that. Voyager I fucked off after a few seasons originally, but watched them all on this rewatch, and was pleasantly surprised, although the very end is weirdly underwhelming. I’d say just for the sake of Lower decks if nothing else, find a guide to beat and/or essentially episodes and have them watch those. You’re probably looking at 7-10 eps per season.

I also caught up on Discovery, Picard (I’d binned it after season one, but watched two when three was about to come out) and SNW.

I didn’t bother with Enterprise at all as I don’t remember liking anything about it. I tried getting through the TOS, but couldn’t, even though I had enjoyed all of those as a kid.

Online spartan2785

• Main Stander
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #1283 on: April 5, 2024, 10:01:15 pm »
Agreed on Lowe Decks, it gets the nostalgia reference level just right, and is a good show to boot.

Discovery’s final season has started. I really like the use of a certain old episode to set off the direction, hopefully it pans out.

It really is surprising to me how much that show gets right, like the relationships of the characters are really good, there aren't any characters that are annoying, they have depth, the show is evolving, it's a great turn your brain off for a bit show.

I'm not sure if I'll get back to watching Disco, I'm pretty sure I didn't watch the last season, I like a few things about the show, but Burnham is probably the worst main character ST has had, the storylines have been very repetitive between the seasons, some of the better characters from previous seasons are also gone, Giogiou/Lorca/Pike (though at least he lives on in SNW)

In the end it just doesn't match Lower Decks, SNW, or the third season of Picard (1st two are admittedly bad)

How did the 4th season compared to the first three for those that watched it?

Offline Brian Blessed

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1284 on: April 6, 2024, 02:26:23 pm »
If you didn’t like 1-3, you’d probably not like 4.