Author Topic: The RAWK Film Thread  (Read 3475441 times)

Offline WhereAngelsPlay

• Rockwool Marketing Board Spokesman. Cracker Wanker. Fucking calmest man on RAWK, alright? ALRIGHT?! Definitely a bigger cunt than YOU!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
Re: The RAWK Film Thread
« Reply #49840 on: May 26, 2019, 06:27:03 pm »
There's only one reason anyone would want to watch The Poison Rose.

And that is to see John Travolta's wig act better than him.

My cup, it runneth over, I'll never get my fill

Offline Skidder.

• Minster. Aka The Censored Baron XII. I remember watching that as a skid!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Kloppite
« Reply #49841 on: May 26, 2019, 06:41:25 pm »
Okay, well two.

But it is hilariously bad and I have to say, wig production has come a far way since the '90s but this isn't worth watching for wig wanters alone...

Famke Janssen has gone full Rene Zellwegger and Morgan Freeman is his usual self, but very underwhelming.

It ain't as bad as that Stonefish with Hugh Jackman and Travolta though.

"I need to test your hacking skills while my girl gives you a blowjob!" - Yeah, okay John, if you say so.
Continually on 11,420.

Offline WhereAngelsPlay

• Rockwool Marketing Board Spokesman. Cracker Wanker. Fucking calmest man on RAWK, alright? ALRIGHT?! Definitely a bigger cunt than YOU!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #49842 on: May 26, 2019, 07:14:43 pm »
Okay, well two.

But it is hilariously bad and I have to say, wig production has come a far way since the '90s but this isn't worth watching for wig wanters alone...

Famke Janssen has gone full Rene Zellwegger and Morgan Freeman is his usual self, but very underwhelming.

It ain't as bad as that Stonefish with Hugh Jackman and Travolta though.

"I need to test your hacking skills while my girl gives you a blowjob!" - Yeah, okay John, if you say so.

TBF she wasn't even enough for me to watch it,I put it on and checked the reviews & turned it off again before the movie actually started.
My cup, it runneth over, I'll never get my fill

Offline Andy @ Allerton!

• Missing an asterisk - no, wait sorry, that's his rusty starfish..... RAWK Apple fanboy. Hedley Lamarr's bestest mate. Has done nothing incredible ever.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Asterisks baby!
« Reply #49843 on: May 27, 2019, 01:55:40 am »
Alien Code - very budget film, decent acting - nice premise as a story line. I like this kind of stuff. If you like low-budget nerdy tech things that look kind of accurate-ish and time travel stuff, they you'll probably enjoy it

Quote from: tubby on Today at 12:45:53 pm

They both went in high, that's factually correct, both tried to play the ball at height.  Doku with his foot, Mac Allister with his chest.

Offline soxfan

• inebriated gonad donor (rejected) and Sperm Whale Milker (also rejected). Left-handed, shit-headed, non-fascist recidivist disappointer of women everywhere - on both drier and ranier days......rejects own eyebrows, the vain banana-hammock-wearin' get
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #49844 on: May 27, 2019, 02:54:12 am »
Travolta has shaved his head now! Looks 300% better. Should have done it 10 years ago.

Unrelated...The little boy in me is excited to see the new Godzilla flick next weekend. Looks like it is wall to wall monster fights for 2 hours unlike the prior movie.
“Do not intermingle with people who act like 'they know it all'. If you do, you will wind up as lost and lonely as they are.”
― Christine Szymanski

Offline Skidder.

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Kloppite
« Reply #49845 on: May 27, 2019, 05:47:33 am »
Alien Code - very budget film, decent acting - nice premise as a story line. I like this kind of stuff. If you like low-budget nerdy tech things that look kind of accurate-ish and time travel stuff, they you'll probably enjoy it

I don't mind the odd lo-fi sci-fi myself mate - check out that Prospect if you haven't already. I mentioned it on here a few months back and I think it's a great little flick. Also, I'm sure you'll have seen it, but if you haven't, check out The Signal too with Larry Fishburne. Also, another one I was truly amazed by was the Australian film Upgrade with Poundland-Tom Hardy out of Prometheus. Confessions d'un Barjo is also a decent 90s French adaptation of a Dick story, as is Vanilla Sky (it's a rip off of Ubik really).

I'd consider myself a bit of a sci-fi nut as well, but generally, sci-fi is very hit-and-miss. I find and the genre attracts know-it-alls, which is fine, we've all been there, but as you alluded to, you have to suspend disbelief and let your creative mind do the rational thinking. I think this is why some folk can't bear the genre and I'll quote a girl who I used to hang with who said something along the lines of: "Watching sci-fi is like being in science class".

And as banal a statement that was to make in the '90s, it has always stuck with me and in my later years, I kind of now get what she meant. There's a certain level of preachiness in certain sci-fi flicks and there are some god awful films that have either rip-offs of Asimov, Vonnegut, Bradbury, Burroughs, Sturgeon, van Vogt, Roth (to an extent), Clarke, Heinlein, Wells, Verne, Dick or even Hubbard. All of whom 'borrowed' extensively off of each other and really set the genre apart.

Twickenham are set to open in Edge Lane in 2020 (which means 2022), and they were behind some of the greatest sci-fi flicks of our time... I sincerely hope that they use the fantastic resources that Liverpool has and that we see a bit of a second-wind of British produced sci-fi, I really do.

One of the first projects I'll hopefully be undertaking in my MA is a short 20-minute film about the symbiosis of AI-tech, nanotech, and human psychology and physiology. Done to death, I know, but as I've said, true originality is a myth and we as creators should be driven by artistic inspiration and the kind of films I'd like to see are ones that pathfind what a future could be like; that is, as opposed to 'pure sci-fi'. By that I mean, like, a film where you, the viewer, is plonked into a world where there is nothing in the way of backstory as to how 'we' got there.

And I think that this is where and why The Matrix hit such a nerve in the late '90s. It laid out a story from A-to-Z and chartered how we got from here to there.

There really hasn't been a film as prescient as The Matrix and there have been a lot of pretenders to the throne - possibly the closest (for me) was Equilibrium. But even that was a pastiche of The Matrix and tried to geg in on the whole 'Woo Gun-Fu' thing. Yet saying that, if you discount The Matrix, Equilibrium is an excellent sci-fi flick that has an amazing emotional return for the viewer (more so than The Matrix I think).

Black Mirror is picking up the pieces, but I suspect that from this series onwards, its successes will ultimately lead to its demise. When something in sci-fi becomes popular and mainstream (as BM did), the moneymen ride in and rinse the concept to death... As was seen in that daft robot dog episode.

Have you seen The Ray Bradbury Theater? Not 'pure sci-fi', but very good TV and even Brooker himself has said that he was inspired by the Bradbury Theater.

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/lNIv8Eg-qu4" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/lNIv8Eg-qu4</a>

Not the best acting or writing, but I love it... we have it on VHS somewhere.

Travolta has shaved his head now! Looks 300% better. Should have done it 10 years ago.

Unrelated...The little boy in me is excited to see the new Godzilla flick next weekend. Looks like it is wall to wall monster fights for 2 hours unlike the prior movie.

He does look better without the wigs and he does look better bald. I really hope he bounces back with a decent film, I really do. I really like John Travolta and while he's under the influence of a cult of personality and is quite possibly trapped by his gay/bisexual tendencies... If it's an act or not, he always comes across as just a decent, but naive bloke. Regardless of whatever happened with his son (and the rumours around his son's death), he and his wife got some pretty shitty allegations against them. Also, he does do a lot for charity and again, whilst Scientology is a cult and pretty shit, he led a campaign to help folk in the Haiti disaster and flew doctors and aid workers to the area in his own jet.

However, there are allegations to suggest he may have a 'dark side' to him, and they may be true, they may not be - but I totally get why folk may not like him.

There's no doubting his talent, he can/could sing, dance and he can be pretty good at comedy. He has more than a few shitburgs in his body of works, but films like Domestic Disturbance (ha!), Be Cool, Michael, Battlefield Earth (a Hubbard story I think), Staying Alive and Shout (and they're just the ones that I've seen). He has some brilliant films and I think it is peculiar how he and Cage played alongside each other in Face/Off.

I kind of lump Travolta in the same category as Cage. They're not too dissimilar of an actor and both climbed the greasy pole, despite their affiliations. True, both may have had a helping hand through their connections to the industry (Cage especially), but they didn't 'land young' and weren't groomed like many were. I think Travolta was one of the youngest Oscar noms at the time (Grease I think), and his early successes aren't to be sniffed at. He's very talented and inspired a lot of actors after him with his ability to just 'perform'. Urban Cowboy was one of the films that I saw him in, and he's brilliant in it... like truly, check it out, it ain't for everyone, but he's really good in it.

He was good in the People V OJ (even though I hated his performance at first) and you can't not mention Pulp Fiction... He got a nod for it from the academy and while it may have been a case of 'Hey, we haven't seen you in a while', if you watch his performance, his nod is truly worthwhile. This may be down to the director and script, but his performance is great and I can't see any other actor playing that role.

« Last Edit: May 27, 2019, 05:50:47 am by Skidder. »
Continually on 11,420.

Offline mikey_LFC

• Legacy Fan
  • At the End of a Storm there's a Golden Sky.
« Reply #49846 on: May 27, 2019, 10:35:27 am »
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=cuErPYsoaR4

This looks superb.

Diego Maradona documentary by the maker of Senna.
"A lot of football success is in the mind. You must believe you are the best and then make sure that you are." - Bill Shankly

Offline Ray K

• Loves a shiny helmet. The new IndyKalia.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Truthiness
« Reply #49847 on: May 27, 2019, 11:38:47 am »
Anyone seen Rocketman yet?

I'm pissed but admit I quite enjoyed it

Elton John purists will hate it, Elton John Haters will hate it.  Inbetweeners who like Eltons music will be split.

Thought it was a nice watch personally :)
Saw it yesterday afternoon. Wouldn't be an Elton John fan by any stretch of the imagination (might have even said when I saw the trailer that 'I fucking hate Elton John') but herself is a fan so we went - and I have to say I thought it was superb.

It's much more of a musical than a traditional biopic with the actors singing, rather than lip-syncing the original songs, and with musical fantasy sequences interspersed with concert-type performances. 
Taron Egerton is just fantastic in it, and can really hold a tune too.

The other thing about it is it makes the Bohemian Rhapsody film look so much worse in retrospect (and I didn't like it much at the time). I know Dexter Fletcher took over that film after Bryan Singer was fired, but he couldn't save that dog's dinner, and one day they'll take back the Oscar for best editing as being the most ludicrous film award this century.
"We have to change from doubters to believers"

Twitter: @rjkelly75

Offline Mutton Geoff

• 'The Invigilator'
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Life is a journey, not a destination.
« Reply #49848 on: May 28, 2019, 07:46:46 pm »
Anyone seen Rocketman yet?

I'm pissed but admit I quite enjoyed it

Elton John purists will hate it, Elton John Haters will hate it.  Inbetweeners who like Eltons music will be split.

Thought it was a nice watch personally :)

Just watched it and Brilliant film and concept and Dexter Fletcher is a genius, it was like an old fashioned Hollywood Musical with bollocks.
A world were Liars and Hypocrites are accepted and rewarded and honest people are derided!
Who voted in this lying corrupt bastard anyway

Offline Skidder.

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Kloppite
« Reply #49849 on: May 29, 2019, 12:03:17 am »
Currently struggling a bit with Us, I have to admit.
Continually on 11,420.

Online Buck Pete

• GV66 LJF for short. King Kong Balls. Bathes in peat. Partial to a walnut whip. Gets wet for 24/7 but disappointed Chopper. On the mortgage blacklist. Too tight to really be called a
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #49850 on: May 29, 2019, 12:45:35 am »
Just watched it and Brilliant film and concept and Dexter Fletcher is a genius, it was like an old fashioned Hollywood Musical with bollocks.

Saw his name flash up as director and thought he sounded familiar

Fair play to him. He's come a long way since Press Gang!!

Offline Skidder.

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Kloppite
« Reply #49851 on: May 29, 2019, 05:28:50 am »
I totally get why Us split opinion. It takes a lot of lateral thinking and is one of those films that you definitely have to discuss and watch twice/thrice.

Weirdly, it kind of reminds me of an '80s blaxploitation film, but almost mirrored? I'm talking more about the subtext and paranoia, as well as some of the whacky stories.

It has deep symbolism attached and it is chocker-block full of pseudo-psychological Freudian/Jungian theories.

It's a very good film with many levels to it, but it isn't a masterpiece as Rotten Tomatoes would have you believe. It isn't a snip on Get Out but it is creepy as fuck and does make you think about a lot the kip of America.

Might give it another go... be interested to hear you guys' thoughts on it. Thought it was great how they interwove Lost Boys into it.
Continually on 11,420.

Offline Redcap

• Legacy Fan
  • You wrote a bad song Petey!
« Reply #49852 on: May 29, 2019, 07:34:49 am »
I totally get why Us split opinion. It takes a lot of lateral thinking and is one of those films that you definitely have to discuss and watch twice/thrice.

Weirdly, it kind of reminds me of an '80s blaxploitation film, but almost mirrored? I'm talking more about the subtext and paranoia, as well as some of the whacky stories.

It has deep symbolism attached and it is chocker-block full of pseudo-psychological Freudian/Jungian theories.

It's a very good film with many levels to it, but it isn't a masterpiece as Rotten Tomatoes would have you believe. It isn't a snip on Get Out but it is creepy as fuck and does make you think about a lot the kip of America.

Might give it another go... be interested to hear you guys' thoughts on it. Thought it was great how they interwove Lost Boys into it.

I think you already know my views on this mate, but I don't think we do our chances of enjoying the film many favours if we drill too deep into the symbolism. I think the symbolism works at a very basic level, which is that our middle class lives are supported by an (literal) invisible underclass whom we have no regard for. Look literally any closer and the whole thing falls apart.

And why I appreciate that it would be ideal if it stood up to scrutiny at every level, it's such a remarkably entertaining piece of filmmaking at a much more basic level that it seems a shame to lose that enjoyment.

Online Buck Pete

• GV66 LJF for short. King Kong Balls. Bathes in peat. Partial to a walnut whip. Gets wet for 24/7 but disappointed Chopper. On the mortgage blacklist. Too tight to really be called a
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #49853 on: May 29, 2019, 05:05:20 pm »
Booked in the 3D IMAX for the New Godzilla movie tomorrow night.  Accidentally caught an early RT review the other day on my Facebook feed giving it just 47%

Have just seen another RT post pop up which is slightly more encouraging and states

"Critics say the characters are thin and the writing a bit stale, but if you want a giant-sized brawl, Godzilla: King of the Monsters delivers."
"A GORGEOUS, MESSY KAIJU BATTLE ROYALE"

I love monster flicks and wasn't expecting too much anyway but it will take my mind off Madrid for a few hours :)

Offline Skidder.

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Kloppite
« Reply #49854 on: May 29, 2019, 05:51:41 pm »
I think you already know my views on this mate, but I don't think we do our chances of enjoying the film many favours if we drill too deep into the symbolism. I think the symbolism works at a very basic level, which is that our middle class lives are supported by an (literal) invisible underclass whom we have no regard for. Look literally any closer and the whole thing falls apart.

And why I appreciate that it would be ideal if it stood up to scrutiny at every level, it's such a remarkably entertaining piece of filmmaking at a much more basic level that it seems a shame to lose that enjoyment.

I get you man - take it at face value, see it as a film, and be entertained. But if you mix the horror genre with the thriller genre (haha, no pun intended), you're gonna get this kind of shit. Not to challenge you on your point, as it is a very valid point to make and anyone who hasn't watched it yet, go into it exactly as Redcap said, you will enjoy it more.

But it is dripping in symbolism and there's a real-world message in there somewhere, especially as the first thing we see is a statement of reality (the tunnels?). Then, we see another piece of reality (Hands Across America), followed by an advert for the Santa Cruz beach. It could be said that these are there to set the scene and world - but I think it could equally be said that those scenes are there to prime a political statement.

Then there are some really fucking cryptic scenes, and that isn't even mentioning some of the double-dialogue.

I find it hard to just enjoy a film when it is quite obviously encoded at the filmmaker level. It has caused debate, which is a good thing I guess, I just don't know whether Jordan Peele is throwing shit at a wall to see what sticks? Or if he is as iconoclastic as people are saying he is and a true patron of the power of filmmaking.

I mean, I'm more or less agreeing with you in my own way, but you've sort of hit the nail on the head... I mean, is it really worth picking it apart and analysing it, ala film school rules? That's what I'm struggling with.

You go back to Get Out, and regardless of some of the visual metaphors lobbed in there, you could just enjoy it for what it was... It was a damn fine film. You could put it on with a buddy or special ladyfriend, and there wouldn't be much to really discuss. "Oh yeah, it's a racially motivated film with snapbacks to slavery and the black power movement" (I'm just riffing there... but you get me).

This though, yes, it is very creepy and all that, but I felt like I was almost being programmed or challenged by it, and that's sometimes a rarity with horrors. I picked up on the undercurrent of a binary class-based system... the guy has obviously 'red' his Engels... and it does make you think about the roles that we play in our own lives. 

I really don't know what to make of it, but as I say, I totally get why it split opinion... But there's no denying the fella has the bonafide goods to make ripples in Hollywood. He's proper hot property at the moment and I look forward to his next film.

If he's gonna try and go full Kubrick on it though, there's gotta be an expectancy of people going: "Never go full Kubrick!".

As I say, I always try to watch good films three times. Usually I'll use the first sitting and literally try to shut off my over-analytical mind, let the emotions jockey the ride. But with this, I think I'd have to go ass-backwards on it, and that is kind of what is giving me this see-saw feeling inside as to whether I like it or not? There's no doubting it is a one of the good ones, of course, but it raises so many questions.

I went on Reddit this morning to have a wee browse at reactions, and people have themselves, either gone full-Kubrick or just cast it off as propagandarous pap. That's the thing, I can fully see why there's that divide in opinion, and... blaps!

Continually on 11,420.

Offline Skidder.

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Kloppite
« Reply #49855 on: May 29, 2019, 05:54:39 pm »
Booked in the 3D IMAX for the New Godzilla movie tomorrow night.  Accidentally caught an early RT review the other day on my Facebook feed giving it just 47%

Have just seen another RT post pop up which is slightly more encouraging and states

"Critics say the characters are thin and the writing a bit stale, but if you want a giant-sized brawl, Godzilla: King of the Monsters delivers."
"A GORGEOUS, MESSY KAIJU BATTLE ROYALE"

I love monster flicks and wasn't expecting too much anyway but it will take my mind off Madrid for a few hours :)

There's only one thing that I want to know.

Is MOTHRA in it?

;D

The best creature in the whole Godzilla opera.

Continually on 11,420.

Offline soxfan

• inebriated gonad donor (rejected) and Sperm Whale Milker (also rejected). Left-handed, shit-headed, non-fascist recidivist disappointer of women everywhere - on both drier and ranier days......rejects own eyebrows, the vain banana-hammock-wearin' get
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #49856 on: May 30, 2019, 12:02:04 am »
There's only one thing that I want to know.

Is MOTHRA in it?
Take a look at 0:11 ;)

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/6prr2MIHE0Q" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/6prr2MIHE0Q</a>
“Do not intermingle with people who act like 'they know it all'. If you do, you will wind up as lost and lonely as they are.”
― Christine Szymanski

Offline Skidder.

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Kloppite
« Reply #49857 on: May 30, 2019, 12:19:48 am »
Oh wow, that actually looks fucking super. Which means it'll probably be shit.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IWU3gF1_3xk

Beast of a film.
Continually on 11,420.

Offline PROPER crazyemlyn72

• is Android
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #49858 on: May 30, 2019, 12:22:49 am »
just made me missus watch the "man of steel" trailer. she thought it was for superman. nightmares await her now. im an evil genius...hahaha....

Offline Redcap

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #49859 on: May 30, 2019, 02:32:14 am »
I get you man - take it at face value, see it as a film, and be entertained. But if you mix the horror genre with the thriller genre (haha, no pun intended), you're gonna get this kind of shit. Not to challenge you on your point, as it is a very valid point to make and anyone who hasn't watched it yet, go into it exactly as Redcap said, you will enjoy it more.

But it is dripping in symbolism and there's a real-world message in there somewhere, especially as the first thing we see is a statement of reality (the tunnels?). Then, we see another piece of reality (Hands Across America), followed by an advert for the Santa Cruz beach. It could be said that these are there to set the scene and world - but I think it could equally be said that those scenes are there to prime a political statement.

Then there are some really fucking cryptic scenes, and that isn't even mentioning some of the double-dialogue.

I find it hard to just enjoy a film when it is quite obviously encoded at the filmmaker level. It has caused debate, which is a good thing I guess, I just don't know whether Jordan Peele is throwing shit at a wall to see what sticks? Or if he is as iconoclastic as people are saying he is and a true patron of the power of filmmaking.

I mean, I'm more or less agreeing with you in my own way, but you've sort of hit the nail on the head... I mean, is it really worth picking it apart and analysing it, ala film school rules? That's what I'm struggling with.

You go back to Get Out, and regardless of some of the visual metaphors lobbed in there, you could just enjoy it for what it was... It was a damn fine film. You could put it on with a buddy or special ladyfriend, and there wouldn't be much to really discuss. "Oh yeah, it's a racially motivated film with snapbacks to slavery and the black power movement" (I'm just riffing there... but you get me).

This though, yes, it is very creepy and all that, but I felt like I was almost being programmed or challenged by it, and that's sometimes a rarity with horrors. I picked up on the undercurrent of a binary class-based system... the guy has obviously 'red' his Engels... and it does make you think about the roles that we play in our own lives. 

I really don't know what to make of it, but as I say, I totally get why it split opinion... But there's no denying the fella has the bonafide goods to make ripples in Hollywood. He's proper hot property at the moment and I look forward to his next film.

If he's gonna try and go full Kubrick on it though, there's gotta be an expectancy of people going: "Never go full Kubrick!".

As I say, I always try to watch good films three times. Usually I'll use the first sitting and literally try to shut off my over-analytical mind, let the emotions jockey the ride. But with this, I think I'd have to go ass-backwards on it, and that is kind of what is giving me this see-saw feeling inside as to whether I like it or not? There's no doubting it is a one of the good ones, of course, but it raises so many questions.

I went on Reddit this morning to have a wee browse at reactions, and people have themselves, either gone full-Kubrick or just cast it off as propagandarous pap. That's the thing, I can fully see why there's that divide in opinion, and... blaps!

Yeah I agree with all of that.

I think for me, the film more or less works completely if you take out the Hands across America bits and the entire explanation about the provenance of the tethered. If you do it that way, the symbolism is a little less hamfisted and confused, and it's also just a scarier movie, because we don't know where the tethered actually come from instead of having a really quite shitty explanation.

Take those bits out, and you have just enough Marxist metaphor mixed with the creeping horror of the piece that it all fits together a little more snugly.

But then, you'd have to also throw out all that stuff with the rabbits, and you kinda need some sort of a setting at least for the final confrontation. Maybe if you just had all of the above but without the explanation? I don't know.

Online Buck Pete

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #49860 on: May 30, 2019, 11:45:49 pm »
Back from Godzilla II

Have to admit its probably the noisiest movie I've ever endured.  Had to watch it in IMAX though.

Go to this movie expecting Oscar winning performances, believable characters you actually like and care for, as well as a decent script then you'll be sorely disappointed.

However, go in looking for a movie with gigantic wailing monsters fighting each other to the death while destroying everything in their paths... then you'll love it. :)

Offline Redcap

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #49861 on: May 31, 2019, 01:26:31 am »
Back from Godzilla II

Have to admit its probably the noisiest movie I've ever endured.  Had to watch it in IMAX though.

Go to this movie expecting Oscar winning performances, believable characters you actually like and care for, as well as a decent script then you'll be sorely disappointed.

However, go in looking for a movie with gigantic wailing monsters fighting each other to the death while destroying everything in their paths... then you'll love it. :)

One question: the first Godzilla movie (in this series) featured not nearly enough Godzilla. I think it had about 10 minutes of Godzilla vs. giant monster action in a movie that was about 2 hours long. Spending an hour and 50 minutes with the intolerable human characters from that movie is more than I want to experience again.

What proportion of this movie features giant movies wailing on each other? I'm looking for an answer in the range of 60+ per cent :D

Online [new username under construction]

• Poster formerly know as shadowbane. Never lost his head whilst others panicked. Fucking kopite!
  • Legacy Fan
  • Insert something awesome here!
« Reply #49862 on: May 31, 2019, 09:28:44 am »
Thought Captain Marvel was the weakest of the whole lot, crappy acting especially :/

Online Buck Pete

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #49863 on: May 31, 2019, 09:36:05 am »
One question: the first Godzilla movie (in this series) featured not nearly enough Godzilla. I think it had about 10 minutes of Godzilla vs. giant monster action in a movie that was about 2 hours long. Spending an hour and 50 minutes with the intolerable human characters from that movie is more than I want to experience again.

What proportion of this movie features giant movies wailing on each other? I'm looking for an answer in the range of 60+ per cent :D

Unfortunately intolerable human beings are still apparent. Most notably the lead male and female.  There are a couple of the good guys who have some "funny" one-liners and Charles Dance is excellent as usual but totally underused IMO.

Now you come to mention it. The big guy probably doesn't get as much screen time as he should and id say the majority of monster time goes to Zilla's main monster enemy.  But still plenty of Godzilla carnage to enjoy.

I think most Monster movie fans and will enjoy it, even old cynics like you Redders.  Hell, MacPhisto might like it too :)

Offline royhendo

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #49864 on: May 31, 2019, 05:25:56 pm »
We just met David Rasche (Sledge Hammer) in the street in Dundee (last thing I remember seeing him in was “In The Loop”). What a lovely fella. (In town doing a film with Brian Cox.)

« Last Edit: May 31, 2019, 06:34:29 pm by royhendo »
"Word of the day is 'philodox' (17th century): one who is in love with their own opinion, and who consequently believes that everyone else should share it."  @susie_dent on twitter - https://twitter.com/susie_dent/status/1419683653844668422

Offline Peabee

• SKPB! Is goin' down der Asd.....der Waitrose.....anyone wannany hummus?
  • Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #49865 on: May 31, 2019, 05:43:10 pm »

I’m a fan of low budget films and I’ve been watching a few such British films lately. They’re an enjoyable departure from Hollywood.
We aren't walking through the storm now - we are the storm.

Online [new username under construction]

• Poster formerly know as shadowbane. Never lost his head whilst others panicked. Fucking kopite!
  • Legacy Fan
  • Insert something awesome here!
« Reply #49866 on: May 31, 2019, 08:10:57 pm »
We just met David Rasche (Sledge Hammer) in the street in Dundee (last thing I remember seeing him in was “In The Loop”). What a lovely fella. (In town doing a film with Brian Cox.)

Legend  :D Used to love watching Sledge Hammer on a night right before Tour of Duty :D

Offline soxfan

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #49867 on: May 31, 2019, 09:34:57 pm »
― Christine Szymanski

Offline Sahara

• Kopite
  • 8 Dimensional
« Reply #49868 on: June 5, 2019, 02:44:32 pm »
Booksmart was fun enough for a highschool comedy
★              ★              ★              ★              ★             ★ 

Offline Skidder.

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Kloppite
« Reply #49869 on: June 5, 2019, 11:33:18 pm »

Sledgehammer!

Fucking Jurgen all over him he has.
Continually on 11,420.

Offline Nobby Reserve

• Onanistic Charades Champion Of Roundabouts. Euphemistic Gerbil Starver.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Do you wanna build a snowman?
« Reply #49870 on: June 6, 2019, 11:49:13 am »
Watched Aladdin last night with the family.

The girls loved it; me and Mrs Reserve were pretty unmoved. Will Smith had some good sections, but (as with Beauty & the Beast live action) more than anything just found myself comparing the story to the original cartoon version and being jolted when something was done differently.

By no means bad; the effects are great and the acting perfectly acceptable. Just a bit underwhelming. A 'painting by numbers' feel to it.

A Tory, a worker and an immigrant are sat round a table. There's a plate of 10 biscuits in the middle. The Tory takes 9 then turns to the worker and says "that immigrant is trying to steal your biscuit"

Offline Something Worse

• Master of prehistoric and fantasy creature-based onomatopoeia
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #49871 on: June 6, 2019, 12:20:45 pm »
Watched Aladdin last night with the family.

The girls loved it; me and Mrs Reserve were pretty unmoved. Will Smith had some good sections, but (as with Beauty & the Beast live action) more than anything just found myself comparing the story to the original cartoon version and being jolted when something was done differently.

By no means bad; the effects are great and the acting perfectly acceptable. Just a bit underwhelming. A 'painting by numbers' feel to it.

That's been my feeling with all of them so far (haven't seen Aladdin or Dumbo).

They are charmless and soulless.
Maybe the group, led by your leadership, will see these drafts as PR functions and brilliant use of humor

Hey Claus, fuck off.

Online rawcusk8

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #49872 on: June 9, 2019, 02:28:05 am »
Saw Ma the other night, thought it was shit. Meant to be some sort of creepy horror but it was anything but. Key is to not take it seriously but I really struggled with it. Mrs Rawkus has been banned from picking any movies to watch for the forseeable future
“If you even dream of beating me you'd better wake up and apologize.” - muhammad ali

Offline Andy @ Allerton!

• Missing an asterisk - no, wait sorry, that's his rusty starfish..... RAWK Apple fanboy. Hedley Lamarr's bestest mate. Has done nothing incredible ever.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Asterisks baby!
« Reply #49873 on: June 9, 2019, 08:41:55 pm »
Full Metal Jacket

The interesting thing is I was watching the Background and they could reproduce all that using computer graphics now for £50

But in the original they obviously had to get all the tanks, extras, pyrotechnics and shit going on.
Quote from: tubby on Today at 12:45:53 pm

They both went in high, that's factually correct, both tried to play the ball at height.  Doku with his foot, Mac Allister with his chest.

Offline Something Worse

• Master of prehistoric and fantasy creature-based onomatopoeia
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #49874 on: June 9, 2019, 08:48:00 pm »
Full Metal Jacket

The interesting thing is I was watching the Background and they could reproduce all that using computer graphics now for £50

But in the original they obviously had to get all the tanks, extras, pyrotechnics and shit going on.

Not sure about that particular one but a lot of the time they used miniatures and such
Maybe the group, led by your leadership, will see these drafts as PR functions and brilliant use of humor

Hey Claus, fuck off.

Offline Sarge

• Fine with being a Fucker. He's a lovable rouge
  • Legacy Fan
  • Boom!
« Reply #49875 on: June 9, 2019, 08:49:23 pm »
Movie Night with my girls, Captain Marvel is the choice.
Y.N.W.A.

Offline TepidT2O

• Deffo NOT 9"! MUFC bedwetter. Grass. Folically-challenged, God-piece-wearing, monkey-rubber. Jizz aroma expert. Operating at the lower end of the distribution curve...has the hots for Alan. Bastard. Fearless in transfer windows with lack of convicti
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • Dejan Lovren fan club member #1
« Reply #49876 on: June 9, 2019, 10:52:33 pm »
Movie Night with my girls, Captain Marvel is the choice.
I really liked
“Happiness can be found in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light.”
“Generosity always pays off. Generosity in your effort, in your work, in your kindness, in the way you look after people and take care of people. In the long run, if you are generous with a heart, and with humanity, it always pays off.”
W

Offline Sarge

• Legacy Fan
  • Boom!
« Reply #49877 on: June 9, 2019, 11:15:14 pm »
Y.N.W.A.

Offline Sarge

• Legacy Fan
  • Boom!
« Reply #49878 on: June 9, 2019, 11:21:22 pm »
Had a good run of it of late,

Green Book
Captain Marvel
Extremely Wicked
When they see us
BlacKKKlansMan
Vice
Knock Down the House
Y.N.W.A.

Offline Skidder.

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Kloppite
« Reply #49879 on: June 12, 2019, 10:54:21 am »
I am Mother (not sure if it has been mentioned) is a great little sci-fi flick.

I haven't seen the ending yet, and the CGI looks to have been re-purposed from other sci-fi flicks. But it is a tidy little flick from what I've seen up to now and... Hilary Swank!

It's got pretty decent ratings, and isn't hard sci-fi (not like Life or Cloverfield)... it has smatterings of Alien (visuals, scene and a sprinkle of story) and bits of I-Robot/Sammie(?)...

The sci-fi lovers here will really like it I think. And if you aren't into sci-fi, just give it a go!
Continually on 11,420.