Author Topic: The RAWK Film Thread  (Read 3475544 times)

Offline Saul Goodman

• Superfluous apostrophe's are us
  • Legacy Fan
  • Better call Saul!
    • Better Call Saul.
Re: The RAWK Film Thread
« Reply #49800 on: May 21, 2019, 06:37:03 pm »
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/ELeMaP8EPAA" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/ELeMaP8EPAA</a>

Offline AndyMuller

• Has always wondered how to do it. Rice, Rice, Baby. Wants to have George Michael. Would batter A@A at karate.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #49801 on: May 21, 2019, 06:43:12 pm »
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/ELeMaP8EPAA" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/ELeMaP8EPAA</a>

Day uno.

Offline Skidder.

• Minster. Aka The Censored Baron XII. I remember watching that as a skid!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Kloppite
« Reply #49802 on: May 21, 2019, 06:58:54 pm »
That looks like a DAMN good film.

There looks to be a few references to his other films, anyone else think this?
Continually on 11,420.

Online Buck Pete

• GV66 LJF for short. King Kong Balls. Bathes in peat. Partial to a walnut whip. Gets wet for 24/7 but disappointed Chopper. On the mortgage blacklist. Too tight to really be called a
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #49803 on: May 21, 2019, 07:48:44 pm »
Feel a bit guilty posting this after Saul has just posted a great trailer from my most anticipated movie of 2019. Cheers man!

But

Off to see 'Rocketman' on Friday night with the missus. Few bevvies first so hopefully a bit of a sing a long on the cards. It's getting above average reviews from the big boys so looking forward to it :)

Online Ray K

• Loves a shiny helmet. The new IndyKalia.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Truthiness
« Reply #49804 on: May 21, 2019, 08:07:06 pm »

I was wondering who was playing Manson in this. It's Dewey fucking Crowe from Justified. And he's also playing him in an episode of Manhunter later this year.
Related: I miss Justified.
"We have to change from doubters to believers"

Twitter: @rjkelly75

Offline gazzalfc

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Well done boys, Good Process
« Reply #49805 on: May 21, 2019, 08:17:17 pm »
That looks like a DAMN good film.

There looks to be a few references to his other films, anyone else think this?

Like every other Tarantino film.

Offline Skidder.

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Kloppite
« Reply #49806 on: May 21, 2019, 08:25:40 pm »
Like every other Tarantino film.

But not in the sense I mean. It actually looks like a good number of his previous films have been woven in, to some degree.
Continually on 11,420.

Offline deFacto please, you bastards

• Apologies if I haven't responded to every post in every thread yet, I'm trying hard. farKnow.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #49807 on: May 21, 2019, 09:22:10 pm »
Ghost in the Shell. Better than I thought it was going to be 6/10

Online Ray K

• Loves a shiny helmet. The new IndyKalia.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Truthiness
« Reply #49808 on: May 22, 2019, 10:49:16 am »
Peter Bradshaw gives Once Upon a Time.. 5 stars in today's Grauniad:

Quite simply, I just defy anyone with red blood in their veins not to respond to the crazy bravura of Tarantino’s film-making, not to be bounced around the auditorium at the moment-by-moment enjoyment that this movie delivers – and conversely, of course, to shudder at the horror and cruelty and its hallucinatory aftermath. 

Minor plot points in the review, but it is a review after all.

Hopefully a return to form after the dreadul Hateful 8.
« Last Edit: May 22, 2019, 10:51:03 am by Ray K »
"We have to change from doubters to believers"

Twitter: @rjkelly75

Online Buck Pete

• GV66 LJF for short. King Kong Balls. Bathes in peat. Partial to a walnut whip. Gets wet for 24/7 but disappointed Chopper. On the mortgage blacklist. Too tight to really be called a
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #49809 on: May 22, 2019, 10:59:17 am »

Also notice his new movie ‘Parasite’ is premiering at Cannes next week and will be released early June.

Just reading the Cannes premiere review of the new QT movie and it received a 6 minute standing ovation

Bong Joon Ho's 'Parasite' got a 5 minute ovation later in the day and looks like its a belter also

Some good movies to feast upon this summer :)

Offline Schmidt

• 's small stretchy scrotum
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #49810 on: May 22, 2019, 11:35:23 am »
Just reading the Cannes premiere review of the new QT movie and it received a 6 minute standing ovation

Bong Joon Ho's 'Parasite' got a 5 minute ovation later in the day and looks like its a belter also

Some good movies to feast upon this summer :)

Who the fuck claps a movie for 6 straight minutes?

Online Buck Pete

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #49811 on: May 22, 2019, 11:51:57 am »

Yeah its a long time innit

My hands started hurting after a minute of clapping Tommy Smith at Anfield the other week.

Offline Casta

• way
  • Anny Roader
  • Kiba, Per Sempre nel mio Cuore...
« Reply #49812 on: May 22, 2019, 01:09:28 pm »
The new Tarantino movie going down a storm at Cannes right now, Supposedly up there with Pulp Fiction.... Here's hoping..

Copy and pasted below....

Once Upon A Time In Hollywood: What the critics said
'For me, his masterpiece will always be 1994's Pulp Fiction, but this isn't far behind, with Leonardo DiCaprio and Brad Pitt both on thumpingly fine form' - Daily Mail critic Brian Viner

'I just defy anyone with red blood in their veins not to respond to the crazy bravura of Tarantino’s film-making, not to be bounced around the auditorium at the moment-by-moment enjoyment that this movie delivers' - The Guardian critic Peter Bradshaw

'What was entirely unexpected was that “Once Upon a Time ... in Hollywood,”... would be such a moving film, at once a love letter — and a dream — of the Hollywood that was.' - New York Times critic Manohla Dargis

'Tarantino loves Hollywood which is why this film is the ultimate love letter from him' - Collider critic Gregory Ellwood 

'By the end, Tarantino has done something that’s quintessentially Tarantino, but that no longer feels even vaguely revolutionary. He has reduced the story he’s telling to pulp' - Variety critic Owen Gleiberman

'The shoot scenes drag on for far too long, and even his usually popping dialogue falls oddly flat this time around' - Bloomberg critic Giovanni Marchini Camia   
Nostalgia isn’t what it used to be

Offline Red Viper

• Foolproof
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • RAWK Fantasy NFL Champion 2019 & 2020
« Reply #49813 on: May 22, 2019, 01:48:52 pm »
https://www.listchallenges.com/200-movies-to-see-before-you-die

I've seen 132 of 200

64 but think that list is a pretty poor list. Far too many films from the 30s/40s which I suspect won't hold up much nearly 80 years later.

Offline Skidder.

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Kloppite
« Reply #49814 on: May 22, 2019, 04:52:11 pm »

I think it is a 'thing'. Like a clap-o-meter that used to be on Noel's House Party - they do it at The Berlin Film Fest, I assume it is the same thing.

I really hope this is as good as some are reviewing - somewhat liked H8teful, but agree it wasn't up to his usual standard and he's been writing or letting scenes go on for a bit too long of late.

I put that down to the death of Sally Menke myself...

Looking forward to this though, it does look quite brilliant.
Continually on 11,420.

Offline El Lobo

• Chief Suck Up. Feel his breath on your face. Toxic, pathetic, arse-faced, weaselling slimeball. RAWK Maths Genius 2022.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Pretty, pretty, pretty pretty good
« Reply #49815 on: May 22, 2019, 06:40:03 pm »
Its got Pacino, Margot Robbie, Di Caprio and Brad Pitt in. It’d do well not to be ace.
If he's being asked to head the ball too frequently - which isn't exactly his specialty - it could affect his ear and cause an infection. Especially if the ball hits him on the ear directly.

Online TepidT2O

• Deffo NOT 9"! MUFC bedwetter. Grass. Folically-challenged, God-piece-wearing, monkey-rubber. Jizz aroma expert. Operating at the lower end of the distribution curve...has the hots for Alan. Bastard. Fearless in transfer windows with lack of convicti
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • Dejan Lovren fan club member #1
« Reply #49816 on: May 22, 2019, 06:41:06 pm »
I don’t really like Tarantino films...
“Happiness can be found in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light.”
“Generosity always pays off. Generosity in your effort, in your work, in your kindness, in the way you look after people and take care of people. In the long run, if you are generous with a heart, and with humanity, it always pays off.”
W

Offline Kopite Tom

• Kopite
« Reply #49817 on: May 22, 2019, 07:41:32 pm »
So hyped for Once Upon A Time In Hollywood, besides End Game its easily my most anticipated film of 2019. Never seen a QT film at the cinema but will be rectifying that for sure in the summer, day one for me.

Offline WhereAngelsPlay

• Rockwool Marketing Board Spokesman. Cracker Wanker. Fucking calmest man on RAWK, alright? ALRIGHT?! Definitely a bigger cunt than YOU!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #49818 on: May 22, 2019, 07:50:43 pm »
We watched The Professor at the weekend,slow paced and enjoyable.

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt6865690/
My cup, it runneth over, I'll never get my fill

Online red_Mark1980

• Wool ginger runner
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • J.F.T.97
« Reply #49819 on: May 22, 2019, 10:07:38 pm »
I don’t really like Tarantino films...

I love them ah..

So hyped for Once Upon A Time In Hollywood, besides End Game its easily my most anticipated film of 2019. Never seen a QT film at the cinema but will be rectifying that for sure in the summer, day one for me.

I remember walking out (at the end) of Inglorious Basterds and someone saying "well that was a load of crap. The war didn't end like that"

I felt like he should have never been allowed in the cinema again.

His films in my opinion deserve to be seen on the big screen. The opening scene in IB in the cinema compared to at home

I really hope this is as good as some are reviewing - somewhat liked H8teful, but agree it wasn't up to his usual standard and he's been writing or letting scenes go on for a bit too long of late.

I put that down to the death of Sally Menke myself...

Looking forward to this though, it does look quite brilliant.

I'm a self confessed massive fan of his. Hateful suffers from it being a QT film.

If I'd made it as my debut I'd be lauded as a great director.

It's up against his body of work, which is in my eyes outstanding.
« Last Edit: May 22, 2019, 10:11:21 pm by red_Mark1980 »

Offline BER

• Goat fondler.
  • Legacy Fan
  • FLOSS IS BOSS!!
« Reply #49820 on: May 23, 2019, 12:16:14 am »
So, Us is a complete bag of shite, laughably bad.

Offline Frank Becton

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • JB - Fleetwood Face
« Reply #49821 on: May 23, 2019, 07:00:11 am »
Saw John Wick 3 yesterday, if you like the first 2 you will like this one, once again some incredible action scenes.
Wherever my boy is that's where I want to be.

Online Buck Pete

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #49822 on: May 23, 2019, 09:28:35 am »
So, Us is a complete bag of shite, laughably bad.

Yeah it was a strange film agreed.  Not one of the best I've seen this year that's for sure.

Offline S

• pineless. Get no pleasure from seeing the Reds win.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Tonight, Tonight
« Reply #49823 on: May 23, 2019, 02:38:43 pm »
Days of Heaven is absolutely stunning.

Are the later Mallick films as bad as they're made out to be?

Offline S

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Tonight, Tonight
« Reply #49824 on: May 23, 2019, 02:39:21 pm »
Saw John Wick 3 yesterday, if you like the first 2 you will like this one, once again some incredible action scenes.
Is this a "love it or hate it" series? I saw the first one and couldn't believe how bad it was.

Offline Chakan

• Chaka Chaka.....is in love with Aristotle but only for votes. The proud owner of some very private piles and an inflatable harem! Winner of RAWK's Carabao Cup captian contest.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Internet Terrorist lvl VI
« Reply #49825 on: May 23, 2019, 02:40:23 pm »
Is this a "love it or hate it" series? I saw the first one and couldn't believe how bad it was.

Yes. You either like it or you don't. There's really no inbetween I think.

If you didn't like the first one you won't like the second or 3rd.

Offline S

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Tonight, Tonight
« Reply #49826 on: May 23, 2019, 02:43:41 pm »
Hereditary is another one I didn't see the big deal about. Found it so tedious.

Yes. You either like it or you don't. There's really no inbetween I think.

If you didn't like the first one you won't like the second or 3rd.
Thought as much. Best not to over analyse films like that I always find, just accept it's not your thing and move on.

Offline Beav

• Football is impatient. Loves Vader's Helmet.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #49827 on: May 23, 2019, 05:58:34 pm »
Last few watches:

Arctic: Its fine, Mads is good, works as a solid survival film.

John Wick: Chapter 3 - Parabellum: Fuckin' rules. The action sequences are so well choreographed and intense, its gorgeous and visceral and god damn is it loud. They're all great films, this one has more doggos in it, they feel like finding an oasis among the desert of regular American action films.

Her Smell: Absolutely rips. And spits and kicks and generally jabs at open nerves until you're a stressed out, exhausted mess. Moss is astonishing, one of the biggest, nastiest, most engrossing performances of recent years. Her presence is so strong you actively feel a weight lifted when she's offscreen. It's like being attacked by a shark, managing to briefly catch your breath before it returns to drag you down again.

It's so good. So intense and moody, I can't wait to revisit it. One of my favourites of the year.

Aladdin (2019): Unforgivably bland. Its annoying it isnt worse, because that would imply that somewhere along the way it was at least trying to be a piece of art, and not a coldly calculated formula digitally created on screen to sell you back your nostalgia for the original animated film. It made me rethink my opinion on Dumbo '19 because at least Burton was trying something there, what we get here is a pale imitation of the 1992 film, following it so closely all it does is remind you that you could be watching a far more entertaining, dynamic film. I am on my knees, Disney, please stop this.
Twitter:  http://twitter.com/__Beav

Ah. Another Manchester United fan crashes out from the woodwork like a bemused koala that has taken three hits of crystal meth.

Offline Redcap

• Legacy Fan
  • You wrote a bad song Petey!
« Reply #49828 on: May 24, 2019, 01:37:22 am »
Days of Heaven is absolutely stunning.

Are the later Mallick films as bad as they're made out to be?

By later are you talking about Tree of Life, or To the Wonder and subsequent films?

Either way, I think all Malick films are visually stunning. I think he's gradually become lodged more tightly up his own anus in terms of his artistic choices, but his movies continue to look great.

Offline Peabee

• SKPB! Is goin' down der Asd.....der Waitrose.....anyone wannany hummus?
  • Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #49829 on: May 24, 2019, 03:36:07 am »

He looks a bit weird at times in the action scenes. A bit stiff compared to the guys he’s fighting.
We aren't walking through the storm now - we are the storm.

Offline Something Worse

• Master of prehistoric and fantasy creature-based onomatopoeia
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #49830 on: May 24, 2019, 03:51:25 am »
He looks a bit weird at times in the action scenes. A bit stiff compared to the guys he’s fighting.

I thought it was a bit of a disconnect. The first two movies were all about Wick dispatching chumps quickly and violently. This one with all the fucking ninjas and weird shit was far more choreographed.
Maybe the group, led by your leadership, will see these drafts as PR functions and brilliant use of humor

Hey Claus, fuck off.

Offline Frank Becton

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • JB - Fleetwood Face
« Reply #49831 on: May 24, 2019, 11:01:26 am »
I thought it was a bit of a disconnect. The first two movies were all about Wick dispatching chumps quickly and violently. This one with all the fucking ninjas and weird shit was far more choreographed.

I guess they were just trying to vary it a bit, I mean it's pretty much all he does.

In the second movie the fight scenes with Cassion lasted a fair while.
Wherever my boy is that's where I want to be.

Offline GinKop

• He's going to run to you (ooh-oooh). Knows a techtard when he sees one
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • FORZA MILANO
« Reply #49832 on: May 24, 2019, 01:49:36 pm »

I noticed that too, put it down to what it must be like to fight in slippery shoes :D

I've not seen any of the others, had a few hours to kill yesterday so went to see it with zero expectations - really enjoyed it. Love the neo-noir feel it had.
JFT97

Offline S

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Tonight, Tonight
« Reply #49833 on: May 24, 2019, 02:01:45 pm »
By later are you talking about Tree of Life, or To the Wonder and subsequent films?

Either way, I think all Malick films are visually stunning. I think he's gradually become lodged more tightly up his own anus in terms of his artistic choices, but his movies continue to look great.
I meant everything post-Tree of Life basically. I've seen that and loved it. Haven't seen any of the more recent ones. Might be worth watching for the visuals alone I guess.

Offline Andy @ Allerton!

• Missing an asterisk - no, wait sorry, that's his rusty starfish..... RAWK Apple fanboy. Hedley Lamarr's bestest mate. Has done nothing incredible ever.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Asterisks baby!
« Reply #49834 on: May 25, 2019, 01:40:44 pm »
Saw Aladdin - Singy, Dancy - actually though Will Smith was great in it.

3.5/5
Quote from: tubby on Today at 12:45:53 pm

They both went in high, that's factually correct, both tried to play the ball at height.  Doku with his foot, Mac Allister with his chest.

Online Buck Pete

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #49835 on: May 26, 2019, 12:46:46 am »
Anyone seen Rocketman yet?

I'm pissed but admit I quite enjoyed it

Elton John purists will hate it, Elton John Haters will hate it.  Inbetweeners who like Eltons music will be split.

Thought it was a nice watch personally :)

Offline JoeCole

• Spoiler!
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #49836 on: May 26, 2019, 06:51:22 am »

Elton John purists will hate it, Elton John Haters will hate it.  Inbetweeners who like Eltons music will be split.

Really liked it. A much better film than Bohemian Rhapsody.

Offline RedSince86

• I blame Chris de Burgh
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #49837 on: May 26, 2019, 01:05:08 pm »
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/65s9IGd8uyM" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/65s9IGd8uyM</a>
"Since its purchase by the sheikh of Abu Dhabi, Manchester City has managed to cheat its way into the top echelon of European football and create a global, immensely profitable football empire, ignoring rules along the way. The club's newfound glory is rooted in lies."

Online Hazell

• Ultimate Movie Night Draft Winner 2017. King - or Queen - of Mystery. Hyzenthlay. The 5th Benitle's sex conch.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #49838 on: May 26, 2019, 03:23:46 pm »

Liked it but thought the soundtrack was awful.
We have to change from doubter to believer. Now.

Offline Skidder.

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Kloppite
« Reply #49839 on: May 26, 2019, 05:54:07 pm »
There's only one reason anyone would want to watch The Poison Rose.

And that is to see John Travolta's wig act better than him.
Continually on 11,420.