Author Topic: Sportwashing-A general thread  (Read 61532 times)

Online koptommy93

• Legacy Fan
  • @tharris113
Re: Sportwashing-A general thread
« Reply #560 on: September 7, 2023, 10:04:50 pm »
Leading Premier League clubs have asked the government to block nation states from owning English football teams, with the request potentially forming part of a new regulator’s brief.

The news comes as the government confirmed the imminent arrival of an independent football regulator “when parliamentary time allows”. The latest update comes at the end of a consultation process with stakeholders in the English game.

The Guardian understands that some leading top-flight clubs used the consultation period to individually lobby the government on state ownership, a process separate to any Premier League submissions.

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2023/sep/07/premier-league-clubs-call-to-block-nation-state-ownership
Horse. Bolted. Way too late for that kind of talk as they won't take clubs off the countries that already own them.
I for one welcome our new insect overloads

Offline Peabee

• SKPB! Is goin' down der Asd.....der Waitrose.....anyone wannany hummus?
  • Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #561 on: September 9, 2023, 10:17:21 pm »
This isn’t about sports washing, but I’ve found something else that UAE et are involved with. You can get diazepam and other controlled drugs prescribed by a doctor in Abu Dhabi, the prescription sent to Spain and the drugs sent to your door by Royal Mail within 48 -72 hours. It’s less expensive than a private script here, or no more expensive, but you don’t have to speak to a GP. There’s just a tick list of (leading) questions to get the prescription approved.

We aren't walking through the storm now - we are the storm.

Offline newterp

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #562 on: September 20, 2023, 05:31:41 pm »
ESPN Soccer has this on their site today - but tucked away:

The title on the main page says: "Inside Saud Arabia's 30-year history of 'sportswashing'" (not sure why sportswashing is in quotes).

But when you click the link the title is: "A timeline of Saudi Arabia's unprecedented sports investments" - much more innocuous.

Seems like someone missed their editing job.

https://www.espn.com/golf/story/_/id/38162723/saudi-arabia-sports-takeover-line-30-years-making

Online oojason

• The Official RAWK Audio Visual God. Founder Member of the Ricky Gervais' 'David Brad Fan Club'.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • The Awkward Squad
« Reply #563 on: September 21, 2023, 12:32:49 pm »
'Mohammed bin Salman: 'I don't care' about 'sportswashing' accusations':-

www.bbc.co.uk/sport/66874723

^ Newcastle United revealed a 2022-23 third kit which resembled the Saudi Arabia national team kit

'Saudi Arabia crown prince Mohammed bin Salman says he does not care about accusations of 'sportswashing'.

The Gulf kingdom has been accused of investing in sport and using high-profile events to improve its international reputation.

Saudi Arabia's Public Investment Fund (PIF) led the takeover of Newcastle United last year and launched LIV Golf.

"If sportswashing is going to increase my GDP by 1%, then we'll continue doing sportswashing," Bin Salman said.

He told Fox News: "I don't care [about the term]. I have 1% growth in GDP from sport and I am aiming for another 1.5%.

"Call it what you want - we are going to get that 1.5%."

Saudi Arabia has been criticised for its human rights violations - 81 men were executed on one day last year - women's rights abuses, the criminalisation of homosexuality, the restriction of free speech and the war in Yemen.

Its international standing was severely damaged by the 2018 killing of Jamal Khashoggi, a US-based Saudi journalist who was a prominent critic of the government.

Human rights campaigners say sport is being used by the Saudi government to distract from long-standing reputation issues.

But Saudi authorities reject those accusations and say investment in sport is a key part of the 'Vision 2030' strategy.

The country's sovereign wealth fund has estimated assets of $620bn (£550bn).

Newcastle chairman Yasir Al-Rumayyan is the governor of PIF, which is controlled by Bin Salman.

The Premier League club's green and white third kit last season resembled the Saudi Arabia national team kit and, at the time of its release, Amnesty International said it was "clear evidence" of sportswashing.

Saudi Arabia will host the Club World Cup in December - the first time it has staged a major Fifa event - and is expected to bid to host the World Cup in 2030 or 2034.

Qatar's controversial hosting of the 2022 tournament drew criticism because of its stance on same-sex relationships, its human rights record and its treatment of migrant workers.

PIF has taken control of four of Saudi Arabia's top clubs - Al-Ahli, Al-Hilal, Al-Ittihad and Al-Nassr - which have secured high-profile signings over recent seasons including Cristiano Ronaldo and reigning Ballon d'Or holder Karim Benzema.

The launch of the lucrative LIV Golf series in 2022 led to the PGA Tour and DP World Tour agreeing to merge with PIF in June after a year of disruption, with Al-Rumayyan appointed chair of the new unified men's game.

F1's decision to hold its inaugural race in Saudi Arabia in 2021, as part of a long-term deal, was also criticised by human rights groups.

Seven-time world champion Lewis Hamilton called on Saudi Arabia to improve its human rights record before the 2022 grand prix, having said he did not feel comfortable racing in the country.

World title boxing fights have also been held in Saudi Arabia. Anthony Joshua said he was "here for boxing" before losing to Oleksandr Usyk in Jeddah last year, having beaten Andy Ruiz in the capital Riyadh in 2019.

Tennis will hold a professional event in Saudi Arabia for the first time this year after a five-year deal was agreed for Jeddah to host the Next Gen ATP Finals.

Saudi Arabia has also held talks with the women's tour about hosting its end-of-season WTA Finals.'

^ there are links to other articles in the story in the BBC link above.

The amount of money spent on PR (some very expensive PR firms around the world) to present a 'positive aspect' of sportswashing, to muddy the waters, to deflect away criticisms and the focus on his regime away, to throw around whataboutism... suggests MBS does care. And cares a lot.

Otherwise he likely wouldn't be torturing and dismembering journalists.

« Last Edit: September 21, 2023, 12:38:01 pm by oojason »
Some 'Useful Info' for following the football + TV, Streams, Highlights & Replays etc - www.redandwhitekop.com/forum/index.php?topic=345769

A mini-index of RAWK's 'Liverpool Audio / Video Thread' content over the years; & more - www.redandwhitekop.com/forum/index.php?topic=345769.msg17787576#msg17787576

Offline Black Bull Nova

• emo
  • Legacy Fan
  • The cheesy side of town
« Reply #564 on: September 21, 2023, 01:33:46 pm »
The amount of money spent on PR (some very expensive PR firms around the world) to present a 'positive aspect' of sportswashing, to muddy the waters, to deflect away criticisms and the focus on his regime away, to throw around whataboutism... suggests MBS does care. And cares a lot.

I'll bet he's got your card marked, do you visit Turkey often?
aarf, aarf, aarf.

Offline Black Bull Nova

• emo
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #565 on: September 21, 2023, 02:04:17 pm »
I like the look of Union Berlin

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/66769248

"I am worried about the Champions League. It has changed our club. It is a big-money league with teams who in our opinion do not belong there - Manchester City, Newcastle, PSG, the marketing club from Leipzig"

Bas Timmers, author of the book 'Abnormally Ordinary - A Dutchman explains Union Berlin',
aarf, aarf, aarf.

Offline newterp

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #566 on: September 21, 2023, 02:11:32 pm »
'Mohammed bin Salman: 'I don't care' about 'sportswashing' accusations':-

www.bbc.co.uk/sport/66874723

^ Newcastle United revealed a 2022-23 third kit which resembled the Saudi Arabia national team kit

'Saudi Arabia crown prince Mohammed bin Salman says he does not care about accusations of 'sportswashing'.

The Gulf kingdom has been accused of investing in sport and using high-profile events to improve its international reputation.

Saudi Arabia's Public Investment Fund (PIF) led the takeover of Newcastle United last year and launched LIV Golf.

"If sportswashing is going to increase my GDP by 1%, then we'll continue doing sportswashing," Bin Salman said.

He told Fox News: "I don't care [about the term]. I have 1% growth in GDP from sport and I am aiming for another 1.5%.

"Call it what you want - we are going to get that 1.5%."

Saudi Arabia has been criticised for its human rights violations - 81 men were executed on one day last year - women's rights abuses, the criminalisation of homosexuality, the restriction of free speech and the war in Yemen.

Its international standing was severely damaged by the 2018 killing of Jamal Khashoggi, a US-based Saudi journalist who was a prominent critic of the government.

Human rights campaigners say sport is being used by the Saudi government to distract from long-standing reputation issues.

But Saudi authorities reject those accusations and say investment in sport is a key part of the 'Vision 2030' strategy.

The country's sovereign wealth fund has estimated assets of $620bn (£550bn).

Newcastle chairman Yasir Al-Rumayyan is the governor of PIF, which is controlled by Bin Salman.

The Premier League club's green and white third kit last season resembled the Saudi Arabia national team kit and, at the time of its release, Amnesty International said it was "clear evidence" of sportswashing.

Saudi Arabia will host the Club World Cup in December - the first time it has staged a major Fifa event - and is expected to bid to host the World Cup in 2030 or 2034.

Qatar's controversial hosting of the 2022 tournament drew criticism because of its stance on same-sex relationships, its human rights record and its treatment of migrant workers.

PIF has taken control of four of Saudi Arabia's top clubs - Al-Ahli, Al-Hilal, Al-Ittihad and Al-Nassr - which have secured high-profile signings over recent seasons including Cristiano Ronaldo and reigning Ballon d'Or holder Karim Benzema.

The launch of the lucrative LIV Golf series in 2022 led to the PGA Tour and DP World Tour agreeing to merge with PIF in June after a year of disruption, with Al-Rumayyan appointed chair of the new unified men's game.

F1's decision to hold its inaugural race in Saudi Arabia in 2021, as part of a long-term deal, was also criticised by human rights groups.

Seven-time world champion Lewis Hamilton called on Saudi Arabia to improve its human rights record before the 2022 grand prix, having said he did not feel comfortable racing in the country.

World title boxing fights have also been held in Saudi Arabia. Anthony Joshua said he was "here for boxing" before losing to Oleksandr Usyk in Jeddah last year, having beaten Andy Ruiz in the capital Riyadh in 2019.

Tennis will hold a professional event in Saudi Arabia for the first time this year after a five-year deal was agreed for Jeddah to host the Next Gen ATP Finals.

Saudi Arabia has also held talks with the women's tour about hosting its end-of-season WTA Finals.'

^ there are links to other articles in the story in the BBC link above.

before I even finished the article - this is what I was thinking too - haha

Offline semit5

• obsessed with faeces
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #567 on: September 21, 2023, 08:47:11 pm »
I don’t know anyone who has watched any of it, I’ve not even seen a single clip of footage (without actively avoiding it). Who is even watching? I don’t get the appeal at all.

Offline KillieRed

• Jaro a.k.a. goatjumpingqueuefucker
  • Legacy Fan
  • Nemo me impune lacessit.
« Reply #568 on: September 21, 2023, 08:54:39 pm »
I’ve seen some footage of action. They’re planting goals etc in social media. Like the Russians the Saudis and Emirati have prolific bots at their disposal. Birds of a feather.
The best way to scare a Tory is to read and get rich” - Idles.

Online has gone odd

• a tru-ro...I mean....red!
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #569 on: September 21, 2023, 09:58:33 pm »
Not that the article from the beeb quotes much from the Saudi Prince, the little is does just makes me more assured that he is an arrogant tosser.
- all in my opinion of course -

Offline TomDcs

• Cross dressing, pant shitting, clothes thief
  • Legacy Fan
  • Six times...
« Reply #570 on: September 21, 2023, 10:58:03 pm »
Not that the article from the beeb quotes much from the Saudi Prince, the little is does just makes me more assured that he is an arrogant tosser.

He’s actually much worse than that, he’s a murderer. He doesn’t care what the world thinks about that, because it’s their culture. Oh and to prove it, he’s paying 10 times the going rate for the most famous (waning) footballers to go there to try and distract everyone from it.

Online Snusmumriken

• Kopite
  • Don't believe everything you think
« Reply #571 on: September 22, 2023, 07:09:39 pm »

Offline Chakan

• Chaka Chaka.....is in love with Aristotle but only for votes. The proud owner of some very private piles and an inflatable harem! Winner of RAWK's Carabao Cup captian contest.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Internet Terrorist lvl VI
« Reply #572 on: September 22, 2023, 07:21:43 pm »
https://www.instagram.com/p/CxgMu4BsVg3/?igshid=MzRlODBiNWFlZA==

Just wow.. No words at all.

Don't worry he's changing the culture from within, so is Henderson.

Offline John C

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #573 on: September 22, 2023, 08:18:53 pm »

I'm assuming it's gen?
It genuinely shocked me that pic. I'm not saying there is anything wrong with the culture of the country, but to immerse yourself so freely and without any inhibitions about the broader situation is telling.

So it's not just a job?

Online redgriffin73

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Thanks for everything Rafa. Nunca Caminarás Solo.
« Reply #574 on: September 22, 2023, 08:32:51 pm »
Rafa Benitez: "I'll always keep in my heart the good times I've had here, the strong and loyal support of the fans in the tough times and the love from Liverpool. I have no words to thank you enough for all these years and I am very proud to say that I was your manager. Thank you so much once more and always remember: You'll never walk alone."

Offline WhereAngelsPlay

• Rockwool Marketing Board Spokesman. Cracker Wanker. Fucking calmest man on RAWK, alright? ALRIGHT?! Definitely a bigger cunt than YOU!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #575 on: September 22, 2023, 08:39:54 pm »
I'm assuming it's gen?
It genuinely shocked me that pic. I'm not saying there is anything wrong with the culture of the country, but to immerse yourself so freely and without any inhibitions about the broader situation is telling.

So it's not just a job?

And he's not just an average c*nt.
My cup, it runneth over, I'll never get my fill

Offline Black Bull Nova

• emo
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #576 on: September 23, 2023, 12:11:46 am »

Great ex-player
Nothing more than that now (except he is very rich), future manager of Newcastle?
aarf, aarf, aarf.

Offline SamLad

• Definitely not a numerologist! Definitely fodder for whimsical modding though... ;) Definitely not 72! Founding member of the Efes Animal Appreciation Society. Very mɪstʃɪvəs.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #577 on: September 23, 2023, 12:21:57 am »
christ that makes me so sad.

Online decosabute

• ...and so am I. Abu Dhabi correspondent
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #578 on: September 23, 2023, 07:37:14 am »
Great ex-player
Nothing more than that now (except he is very rich), future manager of Newcastle?

Nah, they actually want to win. This washed-up dickhead is just a paid cheerleader for them. Genuinely a disgrace now.

Offline Yorkykopite

• Misses Danny Boy with a passion. Phil's Official Biographer, dontcherknow...it's all true. Honestly.
  • RAWK Writer
  • Legacy Fan
  • The first five yards........
« Reply #579 on: September 23, 2023, 08:41:11 am »
Can we now see Mrs Gerrard in a burka?
"If you want the world to love you don't discuss Middle Eastern politics" Saul Bellow.

Offline CHOPPER

• Bad Tranny with a Chopper. Hello John gotta new Mitre? I'm Jim Davidson in disguise. Undercover Cop (Grammar Division). Does Louis Spence. Well. A giga-c*nt worth of nothing in particular. Hodgson apologist. Astronomical cock. Hug Jacket Distributor
  • Legacy Fan
  • Super Title: Not Arsed
« Reply #580 on: September 23, 2023, 08:45:33 am »
Burkadale, is the closest she’ll get to that.
@ Veinticinco de Mayo The way you talk to other users on this forum is something you should be ashamed of as someone who is suppose to be representing the site.
Martin Kenneth Wild - Part of a family

Offline WhereAngelsPlay

• Rockwool Marketing Board Spokesman. Cracker Wanker. Fucking calmest man on RAWK, alright? ALRIGHT?! Definitely a bigger cunt than YOU!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #581 on: September 23, 2023, 08:46:29 am »
Can we now see Mrs Gerrard in a burka?

She'll have a Gucci one especially made for when Steven takes them all on a day trip to Mecca.

Offline Mister Flip Flop

• More flop than flip.
  • Legacy Fan
Soccer - let's face it, its not really about a game of ball anymore is it?

Online jillcwhomever

• Finding Brian hard to swallow. Definitely not Paula Nancy MIllstone Jennings of 37 Wasp Villas, Greenbridge, Essex, GB10 1LL. Or maybe. Who knows.....Finds it hard to choose between Jürgen's wurst and Fat Sam's sausage.
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • "I'm surprised they didn't charge me rent"
« Reply #583 on: September 23, 2023, 08:59:48 am »
Grotesque but unsurprising. He’s only been too happy to lead this charade of a venture.
"He's trying to get right away from football. I believe he went to Everton"

Offline Sir Capon of Debaser

• #SAUSAGES Pheasant plucking, midget chucking, jazz sax blowing, wannabe mod who'd like to be Danny Dyer's Bitch but too scared to ask in public for a name change, the pussy.....would gladly do one for mouth. Adores cats! RAWK Factor Winner 1897.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Golly! An Alien Judge!
    • https://murderouskaburdacus.bandcamp.com/
« Reply #584 on: September 23, 2023, 10:14:15 am »
Don't worry he's changing the culture from within, so is Henderson.
Wont be changing anything Until he gets a 10 second car. Ask Brian OConnor. He only got Doms trust when he had one. Then thngs started moving

Offline demain

• Shambolic
  • Kopite
  • 'à quoi bon ?'
« Reply #585 on: September 23, 2023, 12:35:51 pm »
She'll have a Gucci one especially made for when Steven takes them all on a day trip to Mecca.

What the fuck is this supposed to mean? Then folks here pretend they aren't Islamophobic, some of this rubbish won't be out of place on 4Chan.
'Ever bought a fake picture, Toby?'
'Sold a couple once.'
'The more you pay for it, the less inclined you are to doubt its authenticity.'

Online zero zero

• Karma's a bitch. Innit.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #586 on: September 23, 2023, 12:38:29 pm »
What the fuck is this supposed to mean? Then folks here pretend they aren't Islamophobic, some of this rubbish won't be out of place on 4Chan.
How is that Islamophobic?

Online zero zero

• Karma's a bitch. Innit.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #587 on: September 23, 2023, 12:39:18 pm »
What an absolute sell-out.
Yep. Hugely disappointing.

Offline Sir Capon of Debaser

• #SAUSAGES Pheasant plucking, midget chucking, jazz sax blowing, wannabe mod who'd like to be Danny Dyer's Bitch but too scared to ask in public for a name change, the pussy.....would gladly do one for mouth. Adores cats! RAWK Factor Winner 1897.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Golly! An Alien Judge!
    • https://murderouskaburdacus.bandcamp.com/
« Reply #588 on: September 23, 2023, 01:10:59 pm »
I'm assuming it's gen?

So it's not just a job?

Like them nob Ed’s who get married in a kilt cos their Great great Nan was Scottish. They’ve never mentioned this ever then all of a sudden they’re wearing a skirt on the biggest day of their lives

Notice none of em wear the same fucking skirt when they get divorced

Offline Dim Glas

• Die Nullfünfer.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Michael Sheen is the actual Prince of 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿
« Reply #589 on: September 23, 2023, 01:14:46 pm »
Like them nob Ed’s who get married in a kilt cos their Great great Nan was Scottish. They’ve never mentioned this ever then all of a sudden they’re wearing a skirt on the biggest day of their lives

:lmao

Offline WhereAngelsPlay

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #590 on: September 23, 2023, 02:02:38 pm »

I was answering a post, so wind your fucking neck in and I mentioned Mecca because he isn't allowed to enter Mecca, it's the law.

Islamophobic  :wanker
« Last Edit: September 23, 2023, 02:06:55 pm by WhereAngelsPlay »

Offline WhereAngelsPlay

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #591 on: September 23, 2023, 02:03:59 pm »
How is that Islamophobic?

I'd like to know as well.

Offline Terry de Niro

• Cellar dweller fella, ya know
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Are you talkin' to me or chewin' a brick?
« Reply #592 on: September 23, 2023, 02:21:39 pm »

Online JRed

• After a 2L bottle of strongbow I’d do anything!
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #593 on: September 23, 2023, 02:39:14 pm »
Eh?

Online coolbyrne

• Legacy Fan
  • Ground Control
« Reply #594 on: September 23, 2023, 03:42:06 pm »
I was answering a post, so wind your fucking neck in and I mentioned Mecca because he isn't allowed to enter Mecca, it's the law.

Islamophobic  :wanker

I agree with you. It was nothing more than spotlighting how much of a dog and pony show this all is, and they'd be accused of cultural appropriation if it wasn't such an obvious direction from Al-Ettifaq. The Gerrards are so dense that I could genuinely see Alex getting a Gucci burka made and thinking it was the most amazing experience to wear it. Nothing Islamophobic about the post whatsoever.
Oh, these sour times.

No one admires resilience when you were just plain wrong all along - that's just twattishness.

Offline John C

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #595 on: September 23, 2023, 05:29:33 pm »
:wellin

Offline WhereAngelsPlay

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #596 on: September 24, 2023, 12:35:19 am »
So he just lobbed a hand grenade and ran away.

I'm many things, racist, sexist and bigot are not on that list though, never have and never will be.

He also worded it like the site is full of Islamophobes. Either English isn't his first language or he's just a massive quim.

Did all the money grabbing c*nts post the same thing ? If they did, I bet that they got a nice big bonus with an outdoor pool.

Offline neil4ad

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #597 on: September 24, 2023, 09:58:23 pm »
Horrible man.
I don't know about horrible, but a total sellout who has abandoned values and good conscience at least. I hope he never comes close to managing LFC, personally.

ps. This has nothing to do with Islam or the clothing, but everything to do with Saudi politics and petrodollars. 
« Last Edit: September 24, 2023, 10:22:34 pm by neil4ad »
"A lot of football success is in the mind. You must believe you are the best and then make sure that you are. In my time at Anfield we always said we had the best two teams on Merseyside, Liverpool and Liverpool reserves." -Bill Shankly

Online Baby Huey

• Legacy Fan

Online LuverlyRita

• metar made
  • Kopite
« Reply #599 on: October 3, 2023, 06:19:56 pm »
A good read from Delaney.

https://www.independent.co.uk/sport/football/saudi-arabia-club-world-cup-newcastle-b2422690.html
"Fifa president Gianni Infantino has long wanted a competition to rival the Champions League, but one that he feels should benefit the wider football world too."

Infantino wants a money making enterprise to rival the Champions League. Given FIFA's track record in actually benefitting the wider football world (as opposed to lining the pockets of officials), the last thing football needs is more money going through their coffers.