Author Topic: Derby Day Score (Son 108 no, Father 165 no)  (Read 2335 times)

Offline WOOLTONIAN

• The Garston Gasworks XI.....aka "Beryl".....
  • Legacy Fan
  • Brodrick ; Vice Admiral of the Reds
Derby Day Score (Son 108 no, Father 165 no)
« on: March 27, 2008, 10:13:53 am »
In my lifetime I have seen many teams be classed as Big games.
Spurs, Leeds, Forest, Everton and the Johnny-cum-lately's Manchester U, Arsenal and Chelsea.
My Father and Grandfather also had their opinions on what was considered a Big match.
For my Grandfather it was Sheffield U & W, Sunderland Portsmouth and Everton.
My Father will not budge from Everton, no matter who is having their turn on the cycle of fortune.

There has only ever been one consistent through the history of our club and even World War 1 & 2 couldn't stop the games against Everton.

I can no longer chat with my Granddad Peter, but from accounts from my Nan, the build up to a Derby match was horrendous for her.
Peter would start getting agitated when the fixture list came out and as the game got nearer, There would be a calm before the storm.
Weeks of quietness were followed by sleepless nights.
As the week arrived, he began to practise his pub debates on his Son, Daughter and Wife.
Rows with the wife over the cooking range often lead to Peter screaming "You don’t expect me to eat that do you" or "Bollocks, you don’t know what your talkin about, I'm off to the pub.
The pub debates/rows on St Mary's Road in Garston starting at The Queens or The Mona always ended at The Garston Hotel where after closing time on the eve of the game broke into The Bi-annual "Donnybrook"
After the game one half of Garston stayed in.

My Dad's understanding of Derbies started in School.
He was never going to follow in his fathers footsteps. He would be the first in our family not to let his blood reach boiling point every time the fixture came along.
70 years later he reminisces "I was 18 before I ever punched a bluenose RED"
Education had indeed taught him to hold his tongue. Sadly the same cannot be said for his fists.
I spoke to him yesterday and he is in the quiet mode.
He's not talking to the local butcher (a blue) he's at the stage where he just points out what he wants. Pork steaks the other day and when the butcher asked him how many, he proudly stuck both fingers up in his direction.
He will not get involved in the forthcoming banter around the streets of Woolton Village. He will bide his time and either walk into the butchers Monday with a bloody great grin or eat vegetable for a couple of weeks.

Me ?
I've got those bloody Albatrosses wings flapping in my stomach.
I've entered the quiet stage at home.
And the Ironed on grimace on my face when I go for a pint.
Saturday will be my make or break day.
Either I'll keep my calm exterior and let the blood boil on the inside or someone will light my touch paper and I'll go off like a firework.
I always try to keep my emotions bottled.
I'll tell myself, they are not worth the effort.
The voice in my head will be telling me, they're only the shite from across the park, don’t let them rattle you.
The other side of the brain will be saying "Bollocks, lamp the silly bugger"
The good natured wife of mine will save the day.
She'll calmly walk in the pub, ask if I'm ready and then turn to the nearest blue shite and tell him to FUCK OFF!

On the day I will have the same routine as every Derby Day.
I'll throw up after cleaning my teeth, walk in the kitchen, boil the kettle for a cuppa and then help myself to the first Stella of the day.
I'll feel cold and numb.
It's not a day for having a shower, it's a soak in the bath day.
You always think better while soaking in the bath.
"Torres will get a hat-trick"
If he scores them all in the first half I'll be able to relax until they get the ball.
The match will last either 90 seconds or 90 minutes, depending on how the game is going.
Wife breaks train of thought...
"Are we going out tonight" ?
"Depends" !
I don’t know why she asks me the same bloody question every Derby Day.
I suppose it's part of her match day ritual, as is the question "what are you wearing today" ?
What a stupid bloody question.
Sometimes I swear she does it just to gauge my mood before I leave home.
"That nice blue sweater your mum bought me is obviously my first choice love, but if you fuckin dare, I swear Ill throttle yer".
Truth is, the blue sweater bought for me by my mother in law is still in the bottom draw with the littlewoods £4.99 price tag on.
I mean 'Bloody Littlewoods' it was owned by the bluenose poison dwarf from across the park. If it ever sees the light of day it'll be bommie night.

After the game.
I'll either be "The old piss pot, in the middle of the pub dance floor, singing Poor Scouser Tommy" or the Right bag of dishevelled rags asleep in the corner of the pub dreaming about NEXT TIME.

Anyone else got family history with the longest running saga in our history ?
« Last Edit: October 1, 2011, 05:57:29 am by WOOLTONIAN »
Living descendant of Sir Thomas Brodrick, Vice Admiral of the Red in the 18th Century

Offline redannie

• Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
Re: Derby Day Score (Son 108 no, Father 165 no)
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2008, 10:53:01 am »
Our mixed family were quite civilised really we just didn't speak for 2 weeks before and 2 weeks after. We are too scattered across the country now for it to be a problem

However some friends of mine - father and son - were a red and a blue. A few weeks before the derby lines would be drawn on the landing and in the living room, each had his own territory and would not deign to cross the line. All conversation was conducted through the long suffering wife until after the game when only one of the men would communicate with her!

Offline JamesG L4

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2008, 01:51:23 pm »
Never trust a family where the son supports a different team from his father.
---It's just a ride and we can change it any time we want. It's only a choice. No effort, no work, no job, no savings and money, a choice, right now, between fear and love-- william melvin hicks

Offline flynnyyy

• Legacy Fan
  • Don't buy the S*n
« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2008, 02:09:50 pm »
Never trust a family where the son supports a different team from his father.
thats me im afraid, me dads a blue! Me uncles fault (STH an Anfield) coz me dad was away alot when i was younger!

To be honest, me brothers are worse than me dad.  They are both very much of the "ifithadntofbinfa" bitter mentality as they are both mid 30s.  Me dads not so bad - he used to be in Gladys street 1 week and on the Kop the week after, although he is very much a blue!
« Last Edit: March 27, 2008, 02:15:00 pm by flynnyyy »
"We are focusing on supporting our manager"
women are totally insane, it's science.

Offline Arthurs Bar

• Kopite
« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2008, 03:25:07 pm »
When we both won our semi-final in 86 my dad and my bluenose biased bitter uncle (mothers side of the family) didn't speak and didn't go through the usual ritual of seeing each other every weekend. I didn't see my younger cousin (bluenose) either and the family just didn't mix because they knew if we got together it would end up a slanging match.

After our glorious double win (great for a kid of 14 I might add) we didn't see them for, no exaggeration, 6 MONTHS !! I believe my grandfather got on the phone and said enough is enough. As the years went by my cousin became more and more bitter, fathers footsteps and all that.  He just couldn't admit at anytime that we were just better than them. Kendall was better than Dalglish, Sharp better than Rush. He has now moved onto the modern day versions, Yak is better than Torres, Moyes better than Benitez and it's our fault that they didn't get Stanley Park for their new stadium!! It was a biased council, red noses the lot of them. We don't converse at all prior to and after the derby, a cooling off period if you will.

The family is split, the women stay out the way and for all families in Liverpool this division will continue from one generation to another.

Offline mrsphilthefish

• Twitter terrier. Queen of the retweet
  • Legacy Fan
  • I will do what I can to get justice for our 96
« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2008, 03:57:52 pm »
My nan was the head of the house when I was a kid after me grandad had died. My nan was a blue but her son, my uncle was a red. Thanks mate..........you made sure I was put on the Red Road. My nan was disgusted when he took me to my first game when I was 9, and I have been a Red ever since. After the derby game and if we'd won, she'd stand behind the "parlour" door with the yard brush and chase him when he came in shouting "that's before you start, and if you want any tea......you better button it". It went like this for years. There was always the good banter in the family though. Unlike some families I know. If they won she'd be waiting on the step with her scarf on singing "Everton" at the top of her voice.
Me nan even came to the home comings when we won a cup and stood and clapped our boys.......you wouldn't get many doing that now. She'd have her scarf on like but still, she was there cheering us on.
There is only one time I have ever wanted Everton to win was in the 1995 FA Cup final. Me nan was in the Marie Currie Centre on her last legs like.......but still managed to stand for "her boys" coming out at Wembley. She was so proud when they lifted the Cup and that's how I like to remember her......she died a couple of days later, very happy.
I hate all the venom that's associated with the derby now. It's got worse over the years. Families are torn apart.
There's been many mountains to climb but I can smell Justice.......soon our 96 reds will rest in peace JFT96

Offline LukeD

• Middle aged perv on the school bus. Can't cope with massively fat tongues.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2008, 03:59:02 pm »
My story's not as in depth as the rest of these but my Gran's household when she was growing up was completely split - her and her Dad were/are Bitters and her sister and Mum were both Liverpool - Gran's never told me of any massive arguments though.  If there were any they would have been played out over the phone as May (her sister) stayed in Birkenhead and Gran moved down to Dorset - mind you, May was sharp and fiery so I would imagine she tried her best to keep the gloating up!

Gran and I used to share some decent banter about the two teams but the sad thing is, May is dead now so I have no back up, and whenever I try and joke with Gran about it all she just tells me that she doesn't keep up to date with it all now which is upsetting really and reminds me that she's getting older and may not be around to see Everton lose too many more times.

When I first went off to Uni I went through the whole rebellious, must get piercings/dye my hair phase that a lot of people do when they're away from home for the first time.  I dyed my hair green and my Gran, during one of her regular phone calls north told May what I had done:

"Put him on the phone" she said outraged
"Hello" I said tentatively expecting an ear bashing
"Your Gran tells me you've dyed your hair green, is that right?"
"Well, yes"
"GREEN!" she said "GREEN!  What sort of a colour is that?  You should have dyed it red son - call yourself a Liverpool fan? Now put your Gran back on!"

And that was that really, put me right in my place!  Come to think of it, with May about they must have had some great "debates" around derby time.

Offline redannie

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #7 on: March 27, 2008, 05:32:39 pm »
My nan was the head of the house when I was a kid after me grandad had died. My nan was a blue but her son, my uncle was a red. Thanks mate..........you made sure I was put on the Red Road. My nan was disgusted when he took me to my first game when I was 9, and I have been a Red ever since. After the derby game and if we'd won, she'd stand behind the "parlour" door with the yard brush and chase him when he came in shouting "that's before you start, and if you want any tea......you better button it". It went like this for years. There was always the good banter in the family though. Unlike some families I know. If they won she'd be waiting on the step with her scarf on singing "Everton" at the top of her voice.
Me nan even came to the home comings when we won a cup and stood and clapped our boys.......you wouldn't get many doing that now. She'd have her scarf on like but still, she was there cheering us on.
There is only one time I have ever wanted Everton to win was in the 1995 FA Cup final. Me nan was in the Marie Currie Centre on her last legs like.......but still managed to stand for "her boys" coming out at Wembley. She was so proud when they lifted the Cup and that's how I like to remember her......she died a couple of days later, very happy.
I hate all the venom that's associated with the derby now. It's got worse over the years. Families are torn apart.

That brought back some good recollections of the men in our family red and blue going off together to watch whoever was at home on Boxing Day. The banter afterwards made for a lively evening but there was very little bitterness and we always turned out to watch the cup winners come home wearing our own colours of course.

I remember when I was learning to drive I had the family in the car and my dad directed me down Queen's Drive which was lined with crowds - we were just in front of the Everton bus! Mum thought it a great lark and sat in her red scarf royally waving to the crowds while I was as red as our kit!

Offline macca007

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #8 on: March 27, 2008, 05:39:54 pm »

That has brought a tear to my eye.  My uncle is a blue but respects us a lot, none of the bitterness from him.  My birds grandad is a blue and actually wants us to win games except when we play them.  Think all the bitterness now comes from the younger generation.  Sad to see though.

Offline mrsphilthefish

• Twitter terrier. Queen of the retweet
  • Legacy Fan
  • I will do what I can to get justice for our 96
« Reply #9 on: March 27, 2008, 05:41:16 pm »
That brought back some good recollections of the men in our family red and blue going off together to watch whoever was at home on Boxing Day. The banter afterwards made for a lively evening but there was very little bitterness and we always turned out to watch the cup winners come home wearing our own colours of course.

That's how it should be.......both sets of fans going off together. I went the Goodison derby this year with my mother in law who is a blue. When we watched it back on MOTD in the night, it made me smile the group of lads who were all sat together in different colours.
If only it was always like that!

There's been many mountains to climb but I can smell Justice.......soon our 96 reds will rest in peace JFT96

Offline WOOLTONIAN

• The Garston Gasworks XI.....aka "Beryl".....
  • Legacy Fan
  • Brodrick ; Vice Admiral of the Reds
« Reply #10 on: October 1, 2011, 06:12:22 am »
Still wake up when its pitch black "Derby Day" how anyone gets a good nights sleep the night before is a total mystery to me.
Another early kick off this time. Originally early kick offs were designed (by the police) to get the crowd into the ground sober. Never did work as ale houses like the "Flat Iron" always opened at 9am or once 8am. Not sure what time the locals open nowadays but I'm sure most home fridges will be stocked with pre match aperatifs. Stella and cornflakes for breakfast will not be the rarest breakfast this morning.
Matchday checklist ;
Got my bet layed at Betfred yesterday.
Matchday attire already ironed and folded.
Shoes polished
40 fags ready
£40 beer money sorted
Bullets for Derby debates (Rows with Blues) memorised
All I've got to do now is wait for 6 hours 30 minutes for kick off

Living descendant of Sir Thomas Brodrick, Vice Admiral of the Red in the 18th Century