Author Topic: Advice - partners parents  (Read 27815 times)

Offline butchersdog

• Scouse Tiger.....grrrr :)
  • Kopite
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
Advice - partners parents
« on: June 24, 2019, 11:48:22 am »
Hi all,

Finding myself in desperate need of relationship/'in law' advice, I've decided to consult the wise heads of RAWK. Apologies for the length..

I've been living with my partner for the last few months. Things between us are generally great - we don't have a lot to bicker about, and seem to want the same things from life. Her family however, are causing huge issues between us.

I met them for the first time shortly before Christmas - I actually didn't watch us play United because my partner had asked me if I'd go to a carol service at their local church to meet them (not my cup of tea vs the match, but went along with it to put the best foot forward and all that). Although I'm not an extrovert, I can generally get on with most people and share some common ground, like sport, music, tech, classic cars, travel, the usual types of things. I went into it a bit nervous but thinking they'd be alright. Shortly before we went in to the service, my partner suddenly said that she'd appreciate it if I called them Mr and Mrs X, as they didn't like new partners of their children calling them by their names. Considering we're both in our mid to late 30's, I thought this was really odd, but went along with it.

I said hello and sat down. My partner, as mediator, mentioned that I was in a good mood that day, because we'd just beaten United. Her mother then stared at me with a look I can only describe as contempt, and asked me to repeat what exactly was being referred to (they don't watch football). I did so, explaining the score, big match etc. She then looked me in the eye, leant forward and loudly exclaimed "and do we care?!". Shortly afterwards, "I take it you're not a rugby man then??" in a tone I'd describe as patronising, aggressive, and rude. This was within the first two minutes of meeting her. The entire evening then proceeded in similar fashion. I was, in my opinion, grilled, in an extremely passive aggressive manner ("so you studied where..?" - she didn't know if I'd been to University or not at this point - She then faux quizzically asked my partner how you get a degree in my discipline - web development) ("so you're from Liverpool, inner city, or..?"). I was taken aback with how badly it had gone, and shocked when my partner suggested it had gone really well afterwards. When I suggested this to her, she got upset and said she "just wants everyone to get on".

Every time I've had any interaction with them over the last six months, it's been a horrible, trying, insulting, saddening experience. They make countless rude comments, to my face, which my partner says are jokes and that I shouldn't be so sensitive. Some are just downright bizarre, such as when my partners sister asked if I'd like a glass of wine at a meal, her Dad leans forward and says "a gentleman would pour his own glass". What the fuck? Others reference where i'm from (they won't let you into the US, being a scouser), or things like after I'd mowed the lawn at  the house with a knackered old lawnmower, her mother says over dinner "if you keep doing that, maybe she'll keep you around a bit longer". My partner laughs along when this type of thing is said, which I find really hurtful. I go to the bar to help her Dad get drinks, and ask how he's been etc, he says "fine thank you" and actively turns the other way for the duration of waiting at the bar.  I could understand some of it being considered a joke if we had a closer, comfortable dynamic, but these are people who are quoted as saying that they think it's really rude that I don't call them Mr and Mrs (I don't call them anything, I just say hello). They even signed a birthday card to me as Mr and Mrs; it's hardly the kind of dynamic that infers familiarity, in my opinion they can't have it both ways.

My partner has had a strong conversation with them about some of it. Her Mother said "this isn't my issue, it's every man you fall in love with". They said that they have no opportunity to suggest I call them their names because I don't call them anything. It was said that if I did call them Mr and Mrs once more, it'd give them the chance to say that. Trying to be the bigger person, I cooked them a roast dinner on Mothers Day, said the aforementioned, and got nothing in response. Which is exactly what I expected. I've reverted to not calling them anything.

Things have got worse. We went to watch a theatrical show with them. Not my bag at all, but I went into it with an open mind. When her Mother asked what I thought at the interval, I said I thought it was quite good, could see the skill involved in the performance etc. She then decided that they didn't like it because of the choreography and suggested that if I liked it so much, I could stay on my own while they all went to the pub. I've come to the conclusion that there is no right answer with them; if I'd said it was boring/shite, they'd have said I was a heathen or made a comment about Liverpool etc, if I say I generally think it's alright, that's not good enough either. My partner once again laughed along with them at my expense.

In my opinion, everything that gets said is always aiming to create a 'them and us' dynamic, with the family on one side, and me on the other, and designed to make me feel insignificant and sub servant. They really look down their nose at me, proper working class tory attitude. Anything we do as a couple that's suggested or arranged by me gets slated by her parents (a telephone call, followed up with text messages saying how Elton John is an idiot because he slagged off Brexit (they're huge Brexiters), with statements like "here's what he thinks of you.. enjoy the concert!!!!" complete with a link to the article in question. Why try and sew division and spoil things, constantly??

In my opinion, my partner doesn't call them out or set any boundaries (she considers it rude to 'talk back' to parents). She will side with them when things are said when I'm there, and in situations such as the Elton John, says that she's only going because the tickets were pre-bought. Even her sister at family get togethers will repeatedly decisions we make such as coming to Liverpool for the weekend to see my family, in an sharp, pointed manner. It's all a massive infringement on boundaries and personal autonomy as an adult, in my opinion.

My partner has since told me that nobody she's been out with, including her ex husband, has ever got on with her parents. Apparently when visiting them he used to sit upstairs on his own rather than be in the same room with them. This was considered his failing for not making any effort to engage.

We went out for a meal with them last night. I sat for 3 and a half hours in their company, and nobody so much as said a word to me unless it was my partner involving me. Not even hello, how are you, not goodbye, nothing. I didn't say hello when we came in - her Dad was at the bar, and did his best to say hello to her, while facing away from me and staring in the other direction. I was at my wits end with stress about seeing them, and froze. Apparently this means it was my fault that they didn't speak to me for the entire night.

I sat on my hands for the first six months and said nothing back when I was insulted by them, out of respect for them. I've told my partner I can't do this anymore and that we have to set some boundaries as a couple, if that's what she wants. She says she does. Equally, I don't feel comfortable talking to them, as I feel anything I do bring up is criticised, they are unbelievably contrary. They don't even fain the slightest interest in me or talking to me, they make no effort to make me feel welcome - I don't believe it's my job as the outsider to make them feel comfortable, it should be the other way around. I'm a decent man, I love their daughter, I have a good job. I don't know what more I can do. I genuinely think they have mental health issues. At least, they don't want anyone to take their daughter away from them, despite her being close to 40.

They live around the corner from us. My partner wants to see them as a couple, once a week. She speaks to her Mother virtually everyday on the phone. I wouldn't have any issue with that if they were normal, but they are hostile, ignorant, rude, and a malevolent ever present who try their best to run down our relationship. I genuinely think such regular contact with them in toxic for the relationship, and even if she was single, I don't think my partner has a healthy dynamic with them, at all, she panders to them like Cinderella - her Mother has been known to ring the house repeatedly before 9am of a weekend, then directly question why it wasn't answered - when the response was that we were in bed, she leans forward and practically shouts in my partners face that "when I call, you answer the phone!!", or send extremely demanding messages for immediate assistance with something at their house. I was in tears after spending a few days with them in Europe, my partner was consoling me, her Mother rings, she immediately steps away to answer the phone.

How do I deal with this? Do I break up with my partner because of her family? I can't spend the rest of my life like this. I can't 'make' them change. My partner doesn't seem to have the capacity to have an adult dynamic with them. She isn't willing to put distance between us/not see them for a while when things go wrong. I feel I've done all I can, and I now want very little to do with them. It's making me ill.

Anyone have any experience in this regard? Any advice is greatly appreciated.

Offline Millie

• Athens Airport Queen. Dude, never mind my car, where's my hand sanitiser?!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • IFWT
Re: Advice - partners parents
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2019, 11:57:04 am »
They sound like narcissists, the mother in particular.  They will never change and it might sound like a cliché, but it is definitely them and not you.
"If you can't say anything nice, don't say nothing at all"  Thumper (1942)

Justice for the 96

I'm a Believer

Offline Lee1-6Liv

• Daddy Discord
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2019, 12:02:42 pm »
From the sounds of it you will never be good enough for them just like her ex. I'd refuse to ever meet them again and if your girlfriend doesn't like it then you will have had a lucky escape.

Offline JC the Messiah

• Legacy Fan
  • ♪ ...and now Jürgen-a believe us... ♬
« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2019, 12:03:04 pm »
Sounds like they're utter wankers.

Unfair of your partner to demand so much from you and nothing from them.

You need to think about your sanity and your future. Is she that bloody amazing that you're willing to put up with that shit for the indefinite future?

If the family come as part of the package, it would make it very unappealing to me.
"I said to the boys before the game it would be impossible. But because it’s you, I say we have a chance."
Jürgen Klopp, 7 May 2019

"I told them if we score it will be different. We scored. It was different."
Rafael Benitez, 25 May 2005

Offline Ciara (with a capital "C")

• Not fussed on Krispy Kremes
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Taylor Swift is fucking awesome. #FreeAdnan
« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2019, 12:04:53 pm »
It's making me ill.

Have a think about that line. Have your partner have a think about that line.

Really sorry to hear of your troubles but I think you should start to look out for yourself and make your partner aware of the fact that this is not good for your health. I don't see why you should break up with her if you really love her - you shouldn't punish yourself further. And without being crass, her parents won't be around forever - at some stage, they will be gone.

If it was me, I would explain to my partner that I didn't enjoy being around them and take a step back from those occasions. If they ask, explain to them that they are unpleasant to be around and it makes you unhappy.

Your partner's first instinct should be to protect you and take you out of that situation IMO. Not laugh along with them and encourage more situations where you are made to feel like that.

If that drives a wedge between you and your partner and she can't deal with it, then it may be a case where you have to think about walking away.

I would absolutely not left them fuckwits make me feel like that. How dare they!

Offline Nobby Reserve

• Onanistic Charades Champion Of Roundabouts. Euphemistic Gerbil Starver.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Do you wanna build a snowman?
« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2019, 12:08:44 pm »
I doubt it's mental illness (but I'm not an expert) and think it's more a power-play scenario.

Faced with their attitudes in a normal day to day situation (ie, were they not your partner's parents), you'd likely be more confrontational and resistant to being dominated by them. Their approach to you would then likely be different. Perhaps they're being like they are because you allow them to be.

But what are the alternatives? Your partner seems in thrall to them; they will know that, have probably worked hard throughout your partner's life to achieve that, so know their power to be a twat to her partners is amplified. They will know exactly what they're doing and your partner has become so easily dominated by her parents to the extent that she allows and makes excuses for them humiliating her partner. So metaphorically going toe to toe with them is going to put huge strain on your relationship with your partner (even if she initially sides with you, her parents seem like the sort of arseholes who will work to manipulate her against you)

I'd say you need to either suck it up and be Mr Meek and Humble to them, which will invariably damage your confidence and make you unhappy; or you work at gradually weakening your partner's relationship with her parents before drawing a line in the sand once you're satisfied the ties are loosened sufficiently to confront them.

But if your relationship with your partner breaks down for any reason, you just make sure - for reasons of peace of mind and rebuilding your confidence - that you have that confrontation with them, to let out what you feel about them and how evil and scummy they are.

« Last Edit: June 24, 2019, 12:11:33 pm by Nobby Reserve »
A Tory, a worker and an immigrant are sat round a table. There's a plate of 10 biscuits in the middle. The Tory takes 9 then turns to the worker and says "that immigrant is trying to steal your biscuit"

Offline Nobby Reserve

• Onanistic Charades Champion Of Roundabouts. Euphemistic Gerbil Starver.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Do you wanna build a snowman?
« Reply #6 on: June 24, 2019, 12:10:08 pm »
Or pursuade your partner to emigrate. That'd really piss her parents off.
A Tory, a worker and an immigrant are sat round a table. There's a plate of 10 biscuits in the middle. The Tory takes 9 then turns to the worker and says "that immigrant is trying to steal your biscuit"

Offline CraigDS

• Lite. Smelt it and dealt it. Worrawhopper.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #7 on: June 24, 2019, 12:14:02 pm »
They sound like twats (you could have just started with the Brexiters line and saved the rest).

Honestly, I’d try to not let it bother you. Sometimes some in laws are just c*nts, and will always be c*nts. Don’t try and pander to them, just be you and if they don’t like it then don’t let any shite they say get to you - their opinion really isn’t something you should care about.

Offline Crosby Nick

• He was super funny. Used to do these super hilarious puns
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #8 on: June 24, 2019, 12:17:10 pm »
That clearly sounds unsustainable. It’s not like they’re just being a bit stand offish because you’re new on the scene if it dates back to last December. Do they disapprove of your partner seeing someone new? Did they like the ex (doesn’t sound like it!).

Sounds like they’re either completely oblivious that they’re wankers or even worse, enjoy making you uncomfortable. Either way it’s clear that it’s doing you harm.

To be brutally honest it sounds like an issue that will be tough for you to resolve as they don’t seem to budge an inch and from what you’ve said you’re partner can’t or won’t see the problem and seems to take their side or at least defend their point of view.

A mate of mine had very old fashioned in laws like that. Different world and probably had the view that nothing was good enough for their daughter but he perservered with them and although he’ll never feel fully comfortably with him they came to see how happy they were together and were accepting of the two of them. I guess something similar could happen here but will take them having to stop being massive dickheads first!

Offline .adam

• .asking .for .trouble .for .arson .around .in .Sweden
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #9 on: June 24, 2019, 12:20:55 pm »
What I would do in your position:

1. Have a proper heart-to-heart with your GF and recount everything you've written above including how it makes you feel.

2. See if she agrees with you and that her parents are a problem.

3. If she agrees and accepts that they are a problem, she needs to stand up to them and tell them that it is unacceptable to behave in such a way towards her BF.

4. The likelihood is that they will not change. They are seemingly set in their ways and are ignorant, bigoted and overtly hostile people. The only way that they may change is if your GF refuses to visit them/spend time with them until they change their approach towards you.

5. If future interactions sees your GF intervene to tell them not to speak to you in such a manner, I would consider sticking around to see if they change their attitude.

6. Looping back to the conversation you need to have with her to outline your thoughts, if she does not agree that they are a problem, and sticks to the "Oh, they're just having a joke" line, then I would tell her that I am refusing to spend any more time with them.

7. If she is OK with this - carry on for a bit and see how it goes.

8. If she is not OK with this - time to call it quits.

Life is far too short to spend large amount of time with absolute cunts like your GF's parents.

Offline Claire.

• RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #10 on: June 24, 2019, 12:29:39 pm »
Tell her you don't want to see them again until they sort their fucking attitude out, you've tried and put in the effort and got no support from her. If she wants to go round, you stay home or go out with your mates.

Either that or fuck her off.

Offline Chakan

• Chaka Chaka.....is in love with Aristotle but only for votes. The proud owner of some very private piles and an inflatable harem! Winner of RAWK's Carabao Cup captian contest.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Internet Terrorist lvl VI
« Reply #11 on: June 24, 2019, 12:30:33 pm »
If you marry her you marry the family, just remember that.

Your partner sounds like she's unwilling to get involved in the situation to sort it out. It'll come to a head eventually and the fallout will be bad. Either she needs to sort out this situation soon or it's going to damage your relationship beyond repair.

If it's hurting your health then really it either needs to be done soon or something else has to happen. You need to start thinking of yourself in this situation. It's not a situation that you can remain in.

Also you have to play it out further, what happens when you get married? You expect her family to behave? What happens when you have kids, do you expect her family not to be involved? All these things need to be considered now.

I'm sorry you've been placed in this situation mate, but it needs to be sorted now, one way or another.
« Last Edit: June 24, 2019, 12:54:10 pm by Chakan »

Offline Riquende

• Taking one for the team by giving one to a lucky mascot? Pix or stfu!! (Although is PC is from the 90s so you'll have to wait a while...)
  • Legacy Fan
  • Μετρήστε με με μανία
« Reply #12 on: June 24, 2019, 12:49:52 pm »
No better advice that what's already on here but I will say that I was in a similar situation with my first serious partner, and although we lasted a long time I think the seeds were there from those early days of never really being able to feel like we'd worked towards being a family. My ex was divorced already and I had to contend with things like not being invited to her dad's 60th birthday whilst her ex-husband was.

"The nicest thing about quotes is that they give us a nodding acquaintance with the originator which is often socially impressive."

~ Kenneth Williams, with whom I'm noddingly acquainted. Socially impressed?

Offline Kenny's Jacket

• Kenny's Vegan Jacket Potato. Talks more sense than me.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #13 on: June 24, 2019, 01:04:14 pm »
From my own experience I cant see the relationship lasting whilst your GF panders to her parents. 
Confront your GF and explain they have one last chance to act like civilized human beings and if they cant do that for her daughters happiness then you wont see them on a regular basis.

I've had in laws like this and they eventually broke us up. Lifes too short mate.
As I've said before, the Full English is just the base upon which the Scots/Welsh/NI have improved upon. Sorry but the Full English is the worst of the British breakfasts.

Offline Red Viper

• Foolproof
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • RAWK Fantasy NFL Champion 2019 & 2020
« Reply #14 on: June 24, 2019, 01:05:38 pm »
I think you need to have a proper heart to heart with your partner and if nothing changes then it's probably for the best if you just call it a day on your relationship. This isn't an issue that is ever going to go away so if your partner is not prepared to take some sort of decisive action then there isn't a whole lot else you can do.

I actually had a similar issue with my wife however in my scenario I was in the position of your partner (although I was actually on my wife's side rather than my family's throughout the whole saga) Long story short the end result has been me and my mother not talking to each other for over three years now but unfortunately I don't think it could have gone any other way. Eventually, issues like this will eat away at a relationship/marriage.

Offline Rhi

• Rhisuscitated
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #15 on: June 24, 2019, 01:11:04 pm »
They sound like pricks.

If it was me, I'd have run out of patience ages ago. I wouldn't be humouring their bullshit, and I'd be making it absolutely clear, probably through overt sarcasm, that they are complete pricks and will never be happy with anything. Sometimes people like that need someone to push back. They push and push and push as long as they get away with it, but as soon as someone stops them and tells them to stop being a c*nt, they soon change their tune. And pretend to be oh-so-surprised that their behaviour was interpreted as hostile. Don't apologise for standing your ground, either. It's them that's in the wrong, here.

Must be a difficult situation if you love your girlfriend, but it's obviously having a bad effect on you and your mental health, and to be honest, life's too fucking short for that. If you've got to get yourself prepared mentally to put up with these knobs on a weekly basis, I'd be seriously considering sacking off the relationship. Your GF obviously is nothing like them, but is probably de-sensitised to them being twats to everyone so doesn't see it as much as you do. If she can't open her eyes and see that they're treating you like shit, then that's not a particularly good sign for a relationship, IMO.

I have a not-really-similar issue with my partner's parents. They are lovely people, really kind and really want me to have a good time whenever we're over there... but they don't speak a word of English and so whenever I'm there I'm basically sat on my todd laughing along while other people laugh, and waiting for a translation. It makes me uncomfortable, because I just sit there with no idea what's happening. My partner understands that can be tough, so she doesn't push me to do it too often. We'll go for special occasions and I'm over-due a visit now, but I'm not expected to sit through it on a weekly basis like your other half seems to expect from you. And your inlaws sound actually hostile rather than just not being able to communicate with you!

Easier said than done I suppose, but try to put yourself first here. It's obviously not doing you any good at all and it seems like you've done way more than could be expected of a new boyfriend.
“Above all, I would like to be remembered as a man who was selfless, who strove and worried so that others could share the glory, and who built up a family of people who could hold their heads up high and say 'We're Liverpool'.” - Bill Shankly

Offline butchersdog

• Scouse Tiger.....grrrr :)
  • Kopite
« Reply #16 on: June 24, 2019, 01:16:05 pm »
Thanks for the replies folks. Helped to confirm that I'm not going mad here. My partner wants me to come with her and have a sit down, face to face, straight talking conversation with them. I don't see what it'll achieve really, in my opinion they'll either say I'm imagining it, that I can't get on with people, or just attack me personally. I doubt they'll ever change their attitude.

Yes, they didn't like her ex husband either. Her Mother told her she didn't think she should have married him. He was a toff, so I don't know what they want really, working class, toff, neither worked for them. The Mum dominates the family, the Dad enables it. She's not, from what I can tell, had to really interact with anyone in the outside world beyond a few family friends for the neck end of 30 years (stay at home Mum). I don't think she's exactly well adjusted as a result. I don't think she has anything in her life except her family, so feels it's an infringement for someone to try and 'take that away'/build a relationship with her adult daughter. I don't think they want my partner to meet anyone, and I've told her as much. She says that they do, but probably someone who fits into their family dynamic perfectly.

I've had some heavy talks with my partner recently about how I feel about her family and the way they treat me, and how she in turn sides with them. She has made efforts to listen, but will revert back to type often, and will blame me for things before she'll look at them. I think she's terrified of upsetting them, and I doubt whether she'd be willing to not see them for a while to show them this isn't acceptable. She thinks not seeing your parents for a few weeks is a serious issue. Which yeh, normally, families are all different, but when their behaviour is so damaging, I don't think this is sustainable, something has to be done. If this was my family I wouldn't hesitate to tell them where to go and give them some serious space/no contact if they treated her like I'm being treated. I think the whole dynamic is abusive. She is either so used to it that she doesn't see it, or is so scared to stand up to them that she just blames her partner to take the easy route.

Offline Chakan

• Chaka Chaka.....is in love with Aristotle but only for votes. The proud owner of some very private piles and an inflatable harem! Winner of RAWK's Carabao Cup captian contest.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #17 on: June 24, 2019, 01:45:53 pm »
<snip>

The face to face could work out, who knows. Least you'd have an opportunity to lay everything on the table and never be accused of bottling it all up, or they act surprised in the future and claim they never knew you felt this way.

Your partner on the other hand though seems like she just wants things to continue the way they are and not be involved in the process and she doesn't seem willing to accept the fact that her family are being massively unfair. That's a problem. If she's going to continually be covering for them  or making excuses and taking their side, then honestly there's not much you can do. You either need to make peace with the fact that that's how it's going to be (and probably ruin your health and well being in the process) or get out of there sharpish.

The only way this has a happy resolution is if your girlfriend is on board with you and her standing up to her family.

Offline RobbieRedman

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #18 on: June 24, 2019, 02:05:45 pm »
I think the whole dynamic is abusive.
Yep, in a nutshell it is. I guess that's why you're giving this every chance for your partner. You have the patience of a saint believe me.

My worry is if she's approaching 40 now then there seems less hope she's going to change and stand up to them now, that should of happened over 20 years ago, or at least with her ex-husband.

Offline ScottScott

• Thugby...It's just not rugger old chap!!!
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #19 on: June 24, 2019, 04:52:19 pm »
She needs binning off. Hard as it may be. This isn't going to change, you've clearly brought it up and discussed it with her and she still reverts to type and it's affecting your mental health and will affect your physical health if it continues. You may love her but she sounds like a horrible person

Offline LovelyCushionedHeader

• Not so pleasant non-upholstered footer
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #20 on: June 24, 2019, 05:10:23 pm »
She needs binning off. Hard as it may be. This isn't going to change, you've clearly brought it up and discussed it with her and she still reverts to type and it's affecting your mental health and will affect your physical health if it continues. You may love her but she sounds like a horrible person

Nah, fuck this.

If you love her, stay with her. Her parents win if you call the whole thing off. Plus, I get the impression that your partner is probably scared of them and especially scared of upsetting them. Certainly not a "horrible person".

Also as someone else said, they won't be around forever. They will die well before you and then you're in the clear.

If it was me, I would say to my partner that she either needs to have a word to make them more accommodating towards you, or that you're not going to do anything that involves them i.e. you're going to refuse to see them. Its only if she had a problem with the latter that I would consider ending it.
« Last Edit: June 24, 2019, 05:16:42 pm by LovelyCushionedHeader »
And if the rain stops, and everything's dry.. she would cry, just so I could drink tears from her eyes.

Offline Chakan

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #21 on: June 24, 2019, 05:17:41 pm »
Waiting for people to die has to be worse solution to this. Years and years and years of torture you are putting yourself through. If you don't resolve this issue now, it's going to ruin your life.

Offline Alan_X

• WUM. 'twatito' - The Cat Herding Firm But Fair Voice Of Reason (Except when he's got a plank up his arse). Gimme some skin, priest! Has a general dislike for Elijah Wood. Clearly cannot fill even a thong! RAWK Resident Muppet. Has a crush o
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
  • Come on you fucking red men!!!
  • Super Title: This is super!
« Reply #22 on: June 24, 2019, 05:28:09 pm »
Nah, fuck this.

If you love her, stay with her. Her parents win if you call the whole thing off. Plus, I get the impression that your partner is probably scared of them and especially scared of upsetting them. Certainly not a "horrible person".

Also as someone else said, they won't be around forever. They will die well before you and then you're in the clear.

If it was me, I would say to my partner that she either needs to have a word to make them more accommodating towards you, or that you're not going to do anything that involves them i.e. you're going to refuse to see them. Its only if she had a problem with the latter that I would consider ending it.

People live into their eighties or nineties these days. He could be looking at twenty or thirty years of this with them getting more obnoxious each year.
Sid Lowe (@sidlowe)
09/03/2011 08:04
Give a man a mask and he will tell the truth, Give a man a user name and he will act like a total twat.
Its all about winning shiny things.

Offline El Lobo

• Chief Suck Up. Feel his breath on your face. Toxic, pathetic, arse-faced, weaselling slimeball. RAWK Maths Genius 2022.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Pretty, pretty, pretty pretty good
« Reply #23 on: June 24, 2019, 05:30:57 pm »
Nah, fuck this.

Which judging by everything the poor chap has said, she almost certainly would
If he's being asked to head the ball too frequently - which isn't exactly his specialty - it could affect his ear and cause an infection. Especially if the ball hits him on the ear directly.

Offline Tesco tearaway

• Would just LUUUUUUURVE to 'swipe your clubcard', ooooooh matron!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • *NoVoid-19
« Reply #24 on: June 24, 2019, 05:40:18 pm »
About 20 minutes before the face to face, heart to heart talk, stick a tin of beans in a pan, and cook them on a high heat so the shells of the beans go hard. This will produce copious amounts of gas as you digest them.
Wolf them down as fast as possible.
Go and meet them.
Every time they say something reply with a fart.
If your moral compass is Piers Moron then I ask you to think whether someone who oversaw illegal phone hacking and published fake pictures depicting War Crimes is an appropriate person to look up to. In fact, I'd suggest you're a bit of a c*nt.

Offline Crosby Nick

• He was super funny. Used to do these super hilarious puns
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #25 on: June 24, 2019, 06:01:38 pm »
About 20 minutes before the face to face, heart to heart talk, stick a tin of beans in a pan, and cook them on a high heat so the shells of the beans go hard. This will produce copious amounts of gas as you digest them.
Wolf them down as fast as possible.
Go and meet them.
Every time they say something reply with a fart.

Best suggestion so far.

Offline Alf

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Leader of Alf Quaida & the Scaliban
« Reply #26 on: June 24, 2019, 07:28:14 pm »
My sister hated her fella's mother for years, she died 2 years ago and he's started demonstrating a lot of the personality traits that she didn't like about his mother. On the other side of that my parents have never been that keen on him and time hasn't really changed things. It must put a huge burden on the relationship.

That's why I think if you can't have a heart to heart with your partner and sort things out, then you need to seriously think about ending things.
« Last Edit: June 24, 2019, 07:45:01 pm by Alf »

Offline 24/7

• Campaigns
  • Legacy Fan
  • Super Title: Guru Jim
« Reply #27 on: June 24, 2019, 07:58:17 pm »
Wow, what a situation! Firstly, and most importantly, I commend you for your patience, strength of character and the ability to resist bitch-slapping them all........

In the nicest possible way, this is clearly not about you - it's about her and the twisted dynamic in the family - they've been emotionally manipulating her all her life and they are definitively not very nice people, that's obvious.

But to me, what's highly significant is her inability and/or unwillingness to effect a change in that dynamic! You say the father enables the mother? Your partner is, most likely sub-consciously, the real enabler here!

You say she agrees that some boundaries need to be set? She needs to do it then. Your role, in that respect, is to support her to do so - if she's willing. And whenever she pushes back and makes it about you, remind her that nobody has ben good enough yet for Mr and Mrs X's little girl!!! Doesn't sound like that's about to change any time soon, right?

As for protecting yourself, set your own boundaries. Doesn't seem to me like any face-to-face will end up in any other situation than a renewed tirade of abuse hurled in your direction, with your partner reverting either to meek type or, worse, siding with them out of some misguided sense of loyalty.

Put yourself first. Encourage and support your partner so she can put herself first. Declare your boundaries. Ask her what hers are and make it very clear you will support her in them.

All that said, unless she's prepared to put some real effort into making things better between her family and herself, especially when it comes to being with someone who makes her happy (and it seems from your posts that you do make her happy), then NOTHING WILL CHANGE.

Your partner here seems to be the key. c*nts will always be c*nts and only they can change. Best you can do right now is to continue to be a rock to your partner but at the same time stand your ground when your lines are crossed.

From an outsider's viewpoint, this a fascinating situation and I was kind of in the same place with my ex in-laws (couple of nasty control freaks at times) and the way I handled it was to be my own person, on my terms, as long as it did not hurt my partner at the time. Eventually, they saw the strength of character and the fact we were determined to be our own people - and they gradually, if reluctantly, softened their approach.

Let us know how it goes :wave

Online Mumm-Ra

• Dunking Heretic. Mexican drug runner. Can go whistle for a pair of decent trainees! Your own personal cheese. Yes.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #28 on: June 24, 2019, 08:12:44 pm »
Reading this,  it doesn't seem like there have been any large-scale blowout arguments, right? More just snippy comments, cold shoulders etc. All very British.

My advice would just be to, as it sounds like you have done, lay out all your grievances to your partner. Then say OK, next three times we meet up with them, I'll do my level best. Call them Mr and Mrs, go out of your way for the hellos and the handshakes, join in the conversations etc. Just be Mr. Perfect. Respond to all their slights with good cheer, don't get a cob on, water off a duck's back and that. And if at the end they're still being nobs, then it's ultimatum time. Tell your missus you can't do anything else and you're not signing up for a lifetime of this. She can either have a heart to heart with the Mum and try and get through to her, or just count you out of any more family get-togethers.

I have a friend in the same situation, the spouse's parents are just miserable, critical of everything, permanently offended, etc. Frankly, at that age, they're not changing :/

Offline God's Left Peg

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #29 on: June 24, 2019, 08:15:35 pm »
Tell her you don't want to see them again until they sort their fucking attitude out, you've tried and put in the effort and got no support from her. If she wants to go round, you stay home or go out with your mates.

This.

I'm no relationship guru, but my wife and I have been together twenty years. Two beautiful little children. All I will say is there are lots of ups and downs, particularly with the in laws. Such is life.

But life is short... and its way too short to let this set of c*nts ruin it for you.

Fuck them. Horrible twats.
"The socialism I believe in is everybody working for the same goal and everybody having a share in the rewards. That's how I see football, that's how I see life."

Offline jason67

• He likes the 15cm morning glory boy!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #30 on: June 24, 2019, 09:32:33 pm »

Is the correct answer.

Sorry mate but if she' defending the actions of her parents then there's only one way this will end up.
At last the TRUTH 26th April 2016

Still don't buy the s*n.

Offline rob1966

• YORKIE bar-munching, hedgehog-squashing (well-)articulated road-hog-litter-bug. Sleeping With The Enemy. Has felt the wind and shed his anger..... did you know I drive a Jag? Cucking funt!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #31 on: June 24, 2019, 09:41:20 pm »
I thought my mother in law was bad, but this one sounds like the Queen Bitch from hell. I'm almost certain a lot of my depression issues have been caused by the old bitch, this one would have had me sectioned.

Honestly mate, get out of this relationship before it ruins you. They are determined to control her and to despise every boyfriend she has, they aren't going to come around to like you, they will do nothing but make your life a misery until you give up and walk away.

Jurgen YNWA

Offline AndyInVA

• Born in Liverpool, grew up in Yorkshire, live in the States
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Never Forget
« Reply #32 on: June 24, 2019, 09:47:07 pm »
Family relationships make no sense. Your gf/their daughter will not change her relationship with her parents. Her parents will never change.
If you live your gf and she loves you that is all that really matters. Once you accept that you will never change them then you can have fun with it. Talk about football all the time, tel them how brilliant Liverpool is, when they turn away then talk louder in their ear so they hear you. Hopefully your gf will side with you, if she doesn’t then you have some choices to make. I used to hate seeing my ex in laws. I would just close my eyes and fall asleep on the sofa. So much easier.

Offline Upinsmoke

• Is a grump, get used to it.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #33 on: June 24, 2019, 09:55:51 pm »
They sounds like utter c*nts. Sounds like you've had enough of it. I'd basically just call them out for what they are.

Tell your bird this, maybe in nicer terms but basically dont have anything to do with them. Tell them to get fucked and then if your other half has an issue with you permanently swerving them, then swerve her too. Lifes too short for that kind of bollocks

Offline adruk87

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #34 on: June 24, 2019, 09:57:48 pm »
They sounds like utter c*nts. Sounds like you've had enough of it. I'd basically just call them out for what they are.

Tell your bird this, maybe in nicer terms but basically dont have anything to do with them. Tell them to get fucked and then if your other half has an issue with you permanently swerving them them then swerve her too. Lifes too short for that kind of bollocks

I agree, go nuclear on them, call them a pair of c*nts.

And in the grand scheme of things, they'll snuff it at some point, they sound like a pair of pricks.
"Corner taken quickly, ORIGI!"

Offline AndyInVA

• Born in Liverpool, grew up in Yorkshire, live in the States
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Never Forget
« Reply #35 on: June 24, 2019, 09:58:21 pm »
I thought my mother in law was bad, but this one sounds like the Queen Bitch from hell. I'm almost certain a lot of my depression issues have been caused by the old bitch, this one would have had me sectioned.

Honestly mate, get out of this relationship before it ruins you. They are determined to control her and to despise every boyfriend she has, they aren't going to come around to like you, they will do nothing but make your life a misery until you give up and walk away.

Really sorry mate. They won’t changed. Don’t take them so seriously. They sound like c*nts. Be the better man if you can.

Offline jed the red

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #36 on: June 24, 2019, 10:09:42 pm »
Next time her dad turns his back on you call him out on it. They strike me as bullies and if there is one thing they don’t like it is people standing up to them. Who knows, he may get a bit moody and you can knock the c*nt out and declare self defence!

Horrible situation to be in mate and I do not envy you, other people have given you some sound advice, but I think you need to look out for yourself now and If it is making you ill, that is your answer. Good luck which ever path you choose though mate

Offline kesey

• Hippy - Scally - Taoist - Rafiki - Dad - Trichotomist. Hill Climber, David Cassidy Fan Club
  • Legacy Fan
  • Truth , Love and Simplicity ♡
« Reply #37 on: June 24, 2019, 10:51:38 pm »
Go and have the face to face. Open your heart and stand in your power. Speak your truth even if your voice trembles.

If they are still being twats fuck them right off as they sound like fucking vamps. Keep your woman by all means and see how it goes with her . If she still insists on you seeing her folks then that's a pure sign she's being controlled by them and perhaps scared of them. Somebody did mention the N word. If it's true mate run for your fuckin life.
He who sees himself in all beings and all beings in himself loses all fear.

- The Upanishads.

The heart knows the way. Run in that direction

- Rumi

You are held . You are loved . You are seen  - Some wise fella .

Offline sminp

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #38 on: June 24, 2019, 11:33:06 pm »
Next time you go to a bar to help her dad with drinks place a really expensive order and when he turns his back sneak off and never come back. Leave the fucker with a massive bill.
My Betfair referal code for anyone who wants it: R6K4MTAQM (You get a £25 free bet)

"Liverpool are magic, Everton are tragic."
"It was like playing in a foreign country." Ian Rush on his time with Juventus in Italy
"Don't worry Alan. At least you'll be able to play close to a great team!" Bill Shankly to A

Offline JerseyKloppite

• HE'S THE DADDY!!! Staff Room Gimp. Very excited, but cheapened, mail order scam victim with bling headphones. Lovespuds. Jaqen H'ghar, the Mod without a Face.
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
  • Exiled to Formby
« Reply #39 on: June 25, 2019, 12:04:55 am »

Spot on. You've gone well above and beyond the call of duty already. It's a horrible situation to be in.

You don't want to break up with her unless you have to. As you say, she's not 21 any more and she's been quite honest that all her partners have hated her parents. I'd sit her down and set out in detail, as you have here, one how they treat you and two how it makes you feel. Honestly and truthfully. Then give her the choice:
1) She stands up to them;
2) She allows you to disengage from them and have minimal contact going forward for the sake of your health and your relationship; or
3) If she's unwilling to either of the above despite you telling her how you feel and her acknowledgement of their difficulty, leave her.

I'm lucky that my in-laws are lovely. Life's too short to put up with c*nts like that and it shouldn't impact on your health.