Poll

The incoming Tory Tax Cuts..

Brilliant! With everyone struggling at the moment, a few hundred quid would be most welcome
Maybe a small one, but money should be spent on failing public services
I am an egg and I like cheese and fluffy squirrels called Bob. Bob the Fluffy squirrel is my fave babes.
There shouldn't be a tax cut when public services are already so broken. Keep spending what we are
Far more investment is needed in this country. Spend the money where it's needed now and fuck this stupid Austerity shite.

Author Topic: Never mind 'Stop the Boats' - STOP THE TORIES  (Read 1335599 times)

Offline 9 kemlyn road

• Main Stander
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
Re: Never mind 'Stop the Boats' - STOP THE TORIES
« Reply #31400 on: May 8, 2024, 08:48:41 am »
First of all, welcome back Geoff!

My prediction for a long time is that they will go even further to the right, get a hammering at the election after next (2029), then move back to the centre with a new bring young thing like Cameron did, talk about ‘compassionate Conservatism’, ending the Nasty party, throw in a few green policies, and the whole cycle starts again.
This true .
Even though I’d love to think that they’ll get wiped out and it’s the end for them ,it won’t happen.they’re the establishments party of choice so it won’t be allowed to happen.yes, they’re in for a good kicking at the election, a big humiliation with some big names getting the portillo walk of shame but they’ll go away hurt and battered much like they did in 97.
After they were routed they went quiet ,regrouped ,realised that they were out for two terms at least so began planning.go with the mood of the time ,mimic Blair’s cool brittania,show sympathy,compassion,empathy,we’ve changed ,not the nasty party any more…blah blah .but they are shape shifters ,change to suit the mood then revert to what they really are ,no explanations needed .
The tories and the establishment have things us mere mortals don’t .time ,money ,power ,influence,the old boys network of the media ,police ,judiciary,financial institutions.they will all come into play when their backs are again the wall and their very existence is under real threat.like wounded animals  they are at their most dangerous in that state ,nothing is off the table and will fight to the death to regain their perceived rightful place at the top .
The 2010 election allowed them to regain power quicker than expected due to the financial crash and of course did the old you can trust us on the economy routine but was a perfect excuse to revert to type straight away by taking a wrecking ball to everyone and everything that wasn’t one “them” .
I firmly believe they will come back a couple of terms down the road after some serious in fighting but will realise that they have to pull together to take their rightful place at the top and they will.they’ll be a lot of blood spilt and it will be glorious to watch them tear each other apart but in the long run they will be back worse than ever .
And the great British public will buy into whatever sound bites they spout and say it’s what we need etc etc .
And round and round it goes .
Some people never learn
« Last Edit: May 8, 2024, 08:50:16 am by 9 kemlyn road »

Offline PaulF

• https://www.justgiving.com/fundraising/paulfelce
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Nothing feels as good as fat tastes.
« Reply #31401 on: May 8, 2024, 10:31:14 am »
Or more simply, the tories will regroup and be ready for an election campaign when the economy hits the skids again. As it invariably will. They will come promising a turnaround and people will vote for them.
"All the lads have been talking about is walking out in front of the Kop, with 40,000 singing 'You'll Never Walk Alone'," Collins told BBC Radio Solent. "All the money in the world couldn't buy that feeling," he added.

Offline Andy @ Allerton!

• Missing an asterisk - no, wait sorry, that's his rusty starfish..... RAWK Apple fanboy. Hedley Lamarr's bestest mate. Has done nothing incredible ever.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Asterisks baby!
« Reply #31402 on: May 8, 2024, 10:51:26 am »
I think and hope that after the GE the tories will continue to implode , the ones that are still around that is, i can see Reform picking up a few more right wing nutters as well!

Welcome back Geoff!
Quote from: tubby on Today at 12:45:53 pm

They both went in high, that's factually correct, both tried to play the ball at height.  Doku with his foot, Mac Allister with his chest.

Online oldfordie

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #31403 on: May 8, 2024, 11:16:51 am »
The Torys will never gain large majorities in the future, they will loose far more minority seats than they win due to tactical voting, tactical voting is here to stay, imagine the Torys will argue to pass laws to stop online sites from advising people on who to vote to keep the Torys out but that's not going to stop it.
I think the Torys just went too far this time, they've been a education for millions that will stay with them for life.
 The Torys will be back but they will never be the force they were, this is not wishful thinking,  I think people are overlooking something very important, what's happening today has never happened before, nobody thought the Torys were destroyed back in 97, comparing past election results and what happened in the following years isn't a guide to what will happen in the future. the fearmongering to scare people into not voting Labour has always been the biggest weapon in Tory election victory's, that has lost it's potency, the public have been educated, they know it's all about deflecting criticism away from the Torys, they know the Torys aren't a safe pair of hands with the economy, they know the Torys can't be trusted with our services, those beliefs will stay with millions for life just as they stay with the vast majority of posters on here.
i still don't believe the Torys understand just how much damage they've done to their party.
It might take our producers five minutes to find 60 economists who feared Brexit and five hours to find a sole voice who espoused it.
“But by the time we went on air we simply had one of each; we presented this unequal effort to our audience as balance. It wasn’t.”
               Emily Maitlis

Offline Lusty

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #31404 on: May 8, 2024, 11:38:55 am »
The Torys will never gain large majorities in the future, they will loose far more minority seats than they win due to tactical voting, tactical voting is here to stay, imagine the Torys will argue to pass laws to stop online sites from advising people on who to vote to keep the Torys out but that's not going to stop it.
I think the Torys just went too far this time, they've been a education for millions that will stay with them for life.
 The Torys will be back but they will never be the force they were, this is not wishful thinking,  I think people are overlooking something very important, what's happening today has never happened before, nobody thought the Torys were destroyed back in 97, comparing past election results and what happened in the following years isn't a guide to what will happen in the future. the fearmongering to scare people into not voting Labour has always been the biggest weapon in Tory election victory's, that has lost it's potency, the public have been educated, they know it's all about deflecting criticism away from the Torys, they know the Torys aren't a safe pair of hands with the economy, they know the Torys can't be trusted with our services, those beliefs will stay with millions for life just as they stay with the vast majority of posters on here.
i still don't believe the Torys understand just how much damage they've done to their party.

They'll be back.  I imagine they'll spend a few years pivoting to the right and fighting with Reform over the same 20% of the population, but eventually they'll remember where the votes are and come back.

We keep talking about the Canadian 1993 election where the ruling party ended up with 2 seats, but they were back in power 13 years later.  They ended up merging with a right wing populist party called 'Reform' along the way too...

(note: I know nothing about Canadian politics and this is based entirely on Wikipedia)

Offline Andy @ Allerton!

• Missing an asterisk - no, wait sorry, that's his rusty starfish..... RAWK Apple fanboy. Hedley Lamarr's bestest mate. Has done nothing incredible ever.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Asterisks baby!
« Reply #31405 on: May 8, 2024, 11:46:54 am »

Sadly I don't believe that is true.

The one and only goal that the Tories have had since I've been alive is to make the UK a mini-me US where there is no safety net, where people don't have any working rights and barely have any civil rights.

I use Google Earth quite a lot and wander everywhere. It's truly depressing to see the literally miles of homeless people on the streets in the US
Quote from: tubby on Today at 12:45:53 pm

They both went in high, that's factually correct, both tried to play the ball at height.  Doku with his foot, Mac Allister with his chest.

Offline RedDeadRejection

• Kopite
« Reply #31406 on: May 8, 2024, 12:01:51 pm »
Floating voters between Tory and Labour are an odd bunch.

Offline CornerFlag

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #31407 on: May 8, 2024, 12:06:02 pm »
Natalie Elphicke jumps to Labour.  She's a nasty piece of work, can't wait for the fallout from that one...
My Twitter

Last time I went there I saw masturbating chimpanzees. Whether you think that's worthy of £22 is up to you. All I'll say is I now have an annual pass.

Offline Mutton Geoff

• 'The Invigilator'
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Life is a journey, not a destination.
« Reply #31408 on: May 8, 2024, 01:34:12 pm »
Natalie Elphicke jumps to Labour.  She's a nasty piece of work, can't wait for the fallout from that one...
At this rate it might get to time when top tory Fiona Bruce leaves QT : Mind you talking about that one of  the biggest problems for these tories is they still lie but people seem to see through the lies now, even on QT you can see a large seed change with the audiences response and a lot of them were tories,  so they could promise the world in the GE but who the hell will believe them with their track record of blatant lies from Johnson et al:

Labour just need to remind people for example the Queen on her own at her husbands funeral while Johnson was partying, would be a brilliant image to hit the tories with:
« Last Edit: May 8, 2024, 01:40:27 pm by Mutton Geoff »
Mellowing and Retired, and stayed around long enough to watch the Tories implode

Offline stewil007

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #31409 on: May 8, 2024, 01:44:31 pm »
Floating voters between Tory and Labour are an odd bunch.

its probably about 20 or 30% of the electorate isn't it?  Like the americans, 40% always go red, 40% always go blue and 20% who need convincing one way or the other

Online oldfordie

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #31410 on: May 8, 2024, 01:54:11 pm »

The one and only goal that the Tories have had since I've been alive is to make the UK a mini-me US where there is no safety net, where people don't have any working rights and barely have any civil rights.

I use Google Earth quite a lot and wander everywhere. It's truly depressing to see the literally miles of homeless people on the streets in the US
Ive no idea on where British politics will be in 20yrs or so Andy, I agree, the Torys will re-group,  I can't see them re-grouping to the far right long term though, they will have to renounce this government to move on and gain the trust of the country again,  I do know the Torys have lost the respect and ear of millions for life, as I say, things have happened today ive never seen before, the Torys are terrified of tactical voting for good reason, it will stop them wining all those minority seats that they always need to win a majority so I think Tory large majority's will be extremely hard for the Torys in the future, that has never happened in the past so that change alone will influence future elections dramatically.
The lead up to the next election will give us a clue, I expect to see a few posts giving advice on who has the best chance of beating the Torys in certain seats.
It might take our producers five minutes to find 60 economists who feared Brexit and five hours to find a sole voice who espoused it.
“But by the time we went on air we simply had one of each; we presented this unequal effort to our audience as balance. It wasn’t.”
               Emily Maitlis

Offline LuverlyRita

• metar made
  • Kopite
« Reply #31411 on: May 8, 2024, 02:07:34 pm »

I think that the people who fund the Tories want to make the UK a mini-me US and it's likely that it's the same sort of people who influence politics in the US. I recall reading some stuff about The Koch brothers - it was pretty grim reading.

Offline So… Howard Philips

• Penile Toupé Extender. Notoriously work-shy, copper-bottomed pervert.
  • Legacy Fan
  • All I want for Christmas is a half and half scarf
« Reply #31412 on: May 8, 2024, 02:10:43 pm »

She’s standing down at the election so won’t be a Labour MP for long.

Offline Schmarn

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #31413 on: May 8, 2024, 03:03:38 pm »

The defection is good news regardless of her previous views. She isn't staying as an MP or getting a peerage and we're not going to win an election by only reaching out to true believers. Corbyn did that and we lost seats that the Tories had no right to ever win.

I said a few months back that I would be staggered if Starmer hadn't lined up a few defections to ensure the drip of bad news continues for Sunak.  Hopefully there will be a few more to come.  We should be going hard after the handful of Remainers that are still there.

Offline Red Beret

• Yellow Beret. Wants to sit in the Lobster Pot. Fat-fingered. Key. Boa. Rd. Kille. R. tonunlick! Soggy Knickers King. Bed-Exiting / Grunting / Bending Down / Cum Face Champion 2023.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #31414 on: May 8, 2024, 03:41:41 pm »
Did the Lib Dems ever bother tabling that VoNC that was hinted at by someone on Twitter? Tory majority was down to 47 before this latest defection. I doubt there would be any Tories who would cross the aisle on a vote like that, but I'd certainly like to test the water.
I don't always visit Lobster Pot.  But when I do. I sit.

Popcorn's Art

Offline Statto Red

• Hung like a sperm whale but only around the middle. Proud owner of a couple of spare arms, although is pits pong like the bins, not very appealing. Bambi on ice.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Kloppite
« Reply #31415 on: May 8, 2024, 04:26:18 pm »
Did the Lib Dems ever bother tabling that VoNC that was hinted at by someone on Twitter? Tory majority was down to 47 before this latest defection. I doubt there would be any Tories who would cross the aisle on a vote like that, but I'd certainly like to test the water.

Can't see a VoNC against this government ever winning [even with the Tories in this current state], remember the DUP always vote with the Tories, you need to consider that, some Tories might vote against this government or abstain in a VoNC vote, but would their be enough of them to bring down this government?
#Sausages

Offline thaddeus

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #31416 on: May 8, 2024, 04:36:29 pm »
I don't think many, if any, Tory MPs would vote in favour of a VoNC tabled by the opposition.  There would likely be a reasonable number of abstentions from disgruntled Tory MPs but probably not enough to tip the balance.

There's not really much to be gained by either Labour or Lib Dems in calling a VoNC.  In some ways it's better for Sunak to just imagine how many of his own MPs don't back him.

Offline Red Beret

• Yellow Beret. Wants to sit in the Lobster Pot. Fat-fingered. Key. Boa. Rd. Kille. R. tonunlick! Soggy Knickers King. Bed-Exiting / Grunting / Bending Down / Cum Face Champion 2023.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #31417 on: May 8, 2024, 04:38:15 pm »
Can't see a VoNC against this government ever winning [even with the Tories in this current state], remember the DUP always vote with the Tories, you need to consider that, some Tories might vote against this government or abstain in a VoNC vote, but would their be enough of them to bring down this government?

Of course it would be voted down, but I think the whole point of such a vote would be to show how self serving and utterly selfish the Tories are.

Currently, there are 63 Tories standing down at the next election; MPs that, you would think, wouldn't really be arsed about sticking around for another six to eight months, and more than enough to bring down a government who's majority is now around 45.

Whether the vote wins or not, I'd be really curious to see if any Tories voted against the government, or even abstained under the circumstances.

Popcorn's Art

Offline John C

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #31418 on: May 8, 2024, 05:21:34 pm »
I don't think many, if any, Tory MPs would vote in favour of a VoNC tabled by the opposition.  There would likely be a reasonable number of abstentions from disgruntled Tory MPs but probably not enough to tip the balance.

There's not really much to be gained by either Labour or Lib Dems in calling a VoNC.  In some ways it's better for Sunak to just imagine how many of his own MPs don't back him.
And I don't think I'd like the optics of the collective opposition party's being defeated in such a vote. The Torys are shooting themselves in the foot daily, let them carry on rather than giving them a mini boast. Imagine all of their backbench c*nts cheering a waving.

Offline Red Beret

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #31419 on: May 8, 2024, 05:59:03 pm »
And I don't think I'd like the optics of the collective opposition party's being defeated in such a vote. The Torys are shooting themselves in the foot daily, let them carry on rather than giving them a mini boast. Imagine all of their backbench c*nts cheering a waving.

I wouldn't see it as a defeat for the opposition myself. It would just showcase the Tories' arrogance and piss the electorate off even more.

Someone like Braverman might be happy to abstain, as she wants Sunak to own this trainwreck so the far right can take control. Those who were thinking about ousting Sunak would ironically probably vote for him, because they know it's too late to change the leader and just want to cling on as long as possible.

Popcorn's Art

Online TheShanklyGates

• Firmly in the "shake it all about" camp
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Outside The Shankly Gates...
« Reply #31420 on: May 8, 2024, 06:21:21 pm »

I don't think the government is even obliged to allow parliamentary time for a VoNC unless the Leader of the Opposition is the one who calls for it.
I've just wiped the sticky residue from my bellend onto the television screen. Taste it Leo. You deserve it.
I would honestly let Wijnaldum jizz in my face right now

Offline Red Beret

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #31421 on: May 8, 2024, 06:33:28 pm »
I don't think the government is even obliged to allow parliamentary time for a VoNC unless the Leader of the Opposition is the one who calls for it.

Well it was only mooted about on twitter. I know Starmer wouldn't call for one, but he would probably vote to support one if the Lib Dems called it. Maybe it was just a false rumour though, or they decided against it.

Popcorn's Art

Offline Wabaloolah

• Rocks to the East, Rocks to the West. Definitely Unscotch.
  • Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • Allez Allez Allez
    • My Twitter Account
« Reply #31422 on: May 8, 2024, 07:17:28 pm »

let's not forget that it took a single issue "Get Brexit done!" to get the Tories an 80 seat majority, Cameron fluked a majority of 10 due to the Lib Dems implosion and Ed Miliband, May even managed to lose that majority two years later!

As long as Labour maintain the centre ground and the Tories lurch to the right it will be difficult for the Tories. They also won't have many MPs left who could become leader to push them back to the centre.
However if something serious happens to them I will eat my own cock.

If anyone is going to put a few fingers deep into my arse it's going to be me.

Offline Wabaloolah

• Rocks to the East, Rocks to the West. Definitely Unscotch.
  • Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • Allez Allez Allez
    • My Twitter Account
« Reply #31423 on: May 8, 2024, 07:19:33 pm »
I think they could technically call one as part of their parliamentary time but it wouldn't be official and don't think it won't be binding on the government to resign even if they were to lose it
However if something serious happens to them I will eat my own cock.

If anyone is going to put a few fingers deep into my arse it's going to be me.

Offline Dr. Beaker

• Veo, to his mates. Shares 50% of his DNA with a banana. Would dearly love to strangle Frankengoose. Lo! Be he not ye Messiah, verily be he a child of questionable conduct in the eyes of Ye Holy Border Guards.
  • Legacy Fan
  • I... think I am, therefore...I....maybe.
« Reply #31424 on: May 8, 2024, 08:38:47 pm »
I think they could technically call one as part of their parliamentary time but it wouldn't be official and don't think it won't be binding on the government to resign even if they were to lose it
So, like the Brexit referendum then.
NAKED BOOBERY

Rile-Me costed L. Nee-Naw "The Child" Torrence the first jack the hat-trick since Eon Rush vs Accursed Toffos, many moons passed. Nee-Naw he could have done a concreted his palace in the pantyhose off the LibPole Gods...was not was for the invented intervention of Rile-Me whistler.

Offline Sangria

• In trying to be right ends up wrong without fail
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #31425 on: May 9, 2024, 01:15:26 am »
Of course it would be voted down, but I think the whole point of such a vote would be to show how self serving and utterly selfish the Tories are.

Currently, there are 63 Tories standing down at the next election; MPs that, you would think, wouldn't really be arsed about sticking around for another six to eight months, and more than enough to bring down a government who's majority is now around 45.

Whether the vote wins or not, I'd be really curious to see if any Tories voted against the government, or even abstained under the circumstances.

I wouldn't. They're Tories. Voting for the Tory government is their raison d'etre.
"i just dont think (Lucas is) that type of player that Kenny wants"
Vidocq, 20 January 2011

http://www.redandwhitekop.com/forum/index.php?topic=267148.msg8032258#msg8032258

Offline Sangria

• In trying to be right ends up wrong without fail
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #31426 on: May 9, 2024, 01:18:59 am »

Labour will be able to act as a party of government for a while, but there will be the ever existing undercurrent that Labour aren't left wing enough for the purists. They'll mock a Labour government as being no better than Tories, and push for policies that have no effect other than to show how pure they are. They'll win enough support to push the narrative that the Labour government has run out of steam, and the country will revert back to voting Tory. And 10 years of Labour government will be followed by 15 years of Tory government.
"i just dont think (Lucas is) that type of player that Kenny wants"
Vidocq, 20 January 2011

http://www.redandwhitekop.com/forum/index.php?topic=267148.msg8032258#msg8032258

Online oldfordie

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #31427 on: May 9, 2024, 02:06:47 am »
Labour will be able to act as a party of government for a while, but there will be the ever existing undercurrent that Labour aren't left wing enough for the purists. They'll mock a Labour government as being no better than Tories, and push for policies that have no effect other than to show how pure they are. They'll win enough support to push the narrative that the Labour government has run out of steam, and the country will revert back to voting Tory. And 10 years of Labour government will be followed by 15 years of Tory government.
I think we've moved on from that period now, I don't think the left can argue all the old purist economic arguments anymore. even the young people introduced to politics during the last leadership are moving on now they understand what politics is about, even Momentum is calling it a day. there will be pockets of course but they won't influence the National picture.
What happens with all the wars and Green politics is where the fight will be.
 Am not naïve on the problems Labour will face, the silly soundbites to stop people voting for them if they win power for say 15yrs, how we shouldn't allow governments to hold power for so long as they go stale, they run out of ideas. I think that's bo;; myself, ive no problem with Labour staying in power for the next 50yrs as the alternatives will take us backwards.
nobody knows the future but I still believe this country has changed politically for many years to come and that's a good thing.
               Emily Maitlis

Offline 9 kemlyn road

• Main Stander
« Reply #31428 on: May 9, 2024, 07:37:25 am »
The trouble is the British electorate have the memory span of goldfish .no matter what shit the tories throw at them when in power it’s immediately forgotten once they’re out of power.
Look at the damage thatcher did to whole swathes of Britain from 79 to 90 then a bit more moderate with major but crashing the economy up to 97 .but in all that period all we could have was unemployment,dole ,misery ,despair and if you had a job you were lucky to hang on to it so no pay rise and shit t&cs .if you didn’t have a job then according to that bastard tebbit then get on your bike,uproot your selves and family from one end of the country to another and take some shitty job hundreds of miles away .
Some respite in 97 with labour then the world’s economy crash and bingo the the tories are back worse than ever ,piling on the misery with austerity and we’ve got to get the deficit down and you plebs are going to pay for it .
The public vote for this ,we seem to enjoy it being shit on by these cruel ,heartless so and so’s.we vote for brexit ,vote for Boris ,by extension truss,sunak after all they’ve done to us they’ll still be people willing to give them a chance.
We’ll get a couple of terms of labour hopefully but the tories will be back worse than what’s gone before and the great British goldfish ,I mean ,public will lap it up and vote for them in droves and another 10-15 years of shit and remorseless misery and shit tipped over us.

Offline TSC

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #31429 on: May 9, 2024, 07:42:19 am »
Zahawi the latest biting the dust

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-68982016

Offline So… Howard Philips

• Penile Toupé Extender. Notoriously work-shy, copper-bottomed pervert.
  • Legacy Fan
  • All I want for Christmas is a half and half scarf
« Reply #31430 on: May 9, 2024, 08:14:01 am »
Zahawi the latest biting the dust

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-68982016

Maybe stretching a bit here but he seemed mildly competent compared to some of the others.

Offline cornishscouser92

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #31431 on: May 9, 2024, 08:24:08 am »
Yougov Poll
Fieldwork 7-8 May

Lab 48 (+4)
Con 18 (NC)
Ref 13 (-2)
LD 9 (-1)
Grn 7 (-1)
You miss 100% of the shots you don't take.

Offline Red Beret

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #31432 on: May 9, 2024, 08:54:10 am »
Yougov Poll
Fieldwork 7-8 May

Lab 48 (+4)
Con 18 (NC)
Ref 13 (-2)
LD 9 (-1)
Grn 7 (-1)

Popcorn's Art

Offline Red Beret

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #31433 on: May 9, 2024, 09:01:32 am »
The trouble is the British electorate have the memory span of goldfish. No matter what shit the tories throw at them when in power it’s immediately forgotten once they’re out of power.
Look at the damage thatcher did to whole swathes of Britain from 79 to 90 then a bit more moderate with major but crashing the economy up to 97 .but in all that period all we could have was unemployment,dole ,misery ,despair and if you had a job you were lucky to hang on to it so no pay rise and shit t&cs .if you didn’t have a job then according to that bastard tebbit then get on your bike,uproot your selves and family from one end of the country to another and take some shitty job hundreds of miles away .
Some respite in 97 with labour then the world’s economy crash and bingo the the tories are back worse than ever ,piling on the misery with austerity and we’ve got to get the deficit down and you plebs are going to pay for it .
The public vote for this ,we seem to enjoy it being shit on by these cruel ,heartless so and so’s.we vote for brexit ,vote for Boris ,by extension truss,sunak after all they’ve done to us they’ll still be people willing to give them a chance.
We’ll get a couple of terms of labour hopefully but the tories will be back worse than what’s gone before and the great British goldfish ,I mean ,public will lap it up and vote for them in droves and another 10-15 years of shit and remorseless misery and shit tipped over us.

I don't think that's quite the case anymore. Cameron had to govern in a coalition, then got a wafer thin majority that Theresa May almost immediately blew off. Bozo was a bit of a fluke in that he knows how to work an audience, and he was dealing with the single issue of Brexit fatigue. If Labour had appointed more competent leadership between 2010 and 2019, I think the Tories would have struggled even more.

The problem, where I agree with you, is that Labour got lynched by the media and the electorate over the 2008 financial crisis. After a decade where they tackled poverty, waiting lists etc, the people turned on them the instant things went to shit, rather than give them a chance to get to grips with it and sort it out.

By comparison, between 1979-97 saw the Tories preside over two recessions and the destruction of the manufacturing base; and of course 2010-24 has been an absolute car crash of austerity, Brexit, pandemic and corruption. Tories get away with literal murder when in office and the voters give them chance after chance. Labour could create paradise on Earth but be immediately voted out the minute a snow flurry caused a train to be delayed by 3 minutes.

Popcorn's Art

Offline cornishscouser92

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #31434 on: May 9, 2024, 09:24:23 am »
Yougov Poll
Fieldwork 7-8 May

Lab 48 (+4)
Con 18 (NC)
Ref 13 (-2)
LD 9 (-1)
Grn 7 (-1)

What this would look like in terms of seats...
Lab 529
Con 45
LD 38
Grn 1

« Last Edit: May 9, 2024, 09:27:26 am by cornishscouser92 »
You miss 100% of the shots you don't take.

Offline 9 kemlyn road

• Main Stander
« Reply #31435 on: May 9, 2024, 09:29:27 am »
I don't think that's quite the case anymore. Cameron had to govern in a coalition, then got a wafer thin majority that Theresa May almost immediately blew off. Bozo was a bit of a fluke in that he knows how to work an audience, and he was dealing with the single issue of Brexit fatigue. If Labour had appointed more competent leadership between 2010 and 2019, I think the Tories would have struggled even more.

The problem, where I agree with you, is that Labour got lynched by the media and the electorate over the 2008 financial crisis. After a decade where they tackled poverty, waiting lists etc, the people turned on them the instant things went to shit, rather than give them a chance to get to grips with it and sort it out.

By comparison, between 1979-97 saw the Tories preside over two recessions and the destruction of the manufacturing base; and of course 2010-24 has been an absolute car crash of austerity, Brexit, pandemic and corruption. Tories get away with literal murder when in office and the voters give them chance after chance. Labour could create paradise on Earth but be immediately voted out the minute a snow flurry caused a train to be delayed by 3 minutes.
Yes you’re exactly right I totally agree with you.what I mean with the electorate having the attention span of a goldfish is as you rightly point out the tories just get chance after chance and and there’s no come back on them .when any ideology they implement is clearly not working they are allowed to see it through to it’s inevitable disastrous outcome.
Labour were immediately held responsible for the 2008 financial crash which affected markets across the world but the tories ,aided and abetted by the press as always,got the message out that it was all labours fault ,can’t be trusted with the economy etc etc and the public went headlong into that narrative.
Labour did take measures to protect the country and Gordon brown and alister darling were steering things in a good way but the electorate had already had their minds made up for them so weren’t given time to see things through.
The very annoying thing is labour allowed the tories and the media to blame them for the crash offering absolutely no defence and seemed to say “ yea your right were crap ,in fact we’ve left a note to say we’re skint there’s no money left “ .how the tories shouted that one from roof.
I’d love to see labour make the tories own this shambles they’ve made over the last 14 years ,constantly reminding the country every disastrous decision,policy ,law breaking move they’ve ever made.get into the nations psyche the way they do with labour .bring up the  image of the queen sat socially distanced ,sat alone at her husband’s funeral while good old funny Boris was getting pissed in Downing Street while throwing billions of taxpayers money around like confetti to all their donors while we all abided by the rules .I want us to keep our foot on their throat and never take it off ,we need to make sure they never come back ,they’re down so let’s keep kicking them .

Offline Stockholm Syndrome

• Djurgården Disease
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #31436 on: May 9, 2024, 10:32:05 am »
What this would look like in terms of seats...
Lab 529
Con 45
LD 38
Grn 1

I am maybe not up on my Scottish politics but that seems to show Labour getting Glasgow which seems like an absolute massive get - I would have thought (perhaps incorrectly) that was one of the SNP heartlands

Offline Wullie160975

• Oor Wullie! Your Wullie! A'body's Wullie!
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #31437 on: May 9, 2024, 10:36:06 am »
I'm surprised there is as much yellow in Scotland to be honest, given how things have gone after Sturgeon resigning (both Sturgeon and Yousaf).

Maybe Swinney will bring some calm and stability, but the SNP seem a bit all over the place at the moment and I wouldn't guarantee there vote would be the same as normal.

Online oldfordie

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #31438 on: May 9, 2024, 11:01:26 am »
Yes you’re exactly right I totally agree with you.what I mean with the electorate having the attention span of a goldfish is as you rightly point out the tories just get chance after chance and and there’s no come back on them .when any ideology they implement is clearly not working they are allowed to see it through to it’s inevitable disastrous outcome.
Labour were immediately held responsible for the 2008 financial crash which affected markets across the world but the tories ,aided and abetted by the press as always,got the message out that it was all labours fault ,can’t be trusted with the economy etc etc and the public went headlong into that narrative.
Labour did take measures to protect the country and Gordon brown and alister darling were steering things in a good way but the electorate had already had their minds made up for them so weren’t given time to see things through.
The very annoying thing is labour allowed the tories and the media to blame them for the crash offering absolutely no defence and seemed to say “ yea your right were crap ,in fact we’ve left a note to say we’re skint there’s no money left “ .how the tories shouted that one from roof.
I’d love to see labour make the tories own this shambles they’ve made over the last 14 years ,constantly reminding the country every disastrous decision,policy ,law breaking move they’ve ever made.get into the nations psyche the way they do with labour .bring up the  image of the queen sat socially distanced ,sat alone at her husband’s funeral while good old funny Boris was getting pissed in Downing Street while throwing billions of taxpayers money around like confetti to all their donors while we all abided by the rules .I want us to keep our foot on their throat and never take it off ,we need to make sure they never come back ,they’re down so let’s keep kicking them .
It's not as if Milliband wasn't warned about it. John Prescot argued with him over it beforehand, how he has to defend Labours record. Miliband ignored him.
I think theres so many lessons to learn from these examples. the British public don't form opinions themselves, they are given opinions by our politicians and media, many seem to get angry over these problems thinking this is something they feel strongly about, what happened a few yrs later though after the Torys had been in power for less than 7 yrs, the Torys had doubled the national debt, it was spiralling out of control yet those same people who were furious with Miliband and Labour never gave it a thought, they weren't bothered, it was never a issue in any of the Tory elections afterwards. Labour today are hammering it, maybe that's another reason why people are so pissed off with the Torys, they have tripled the national debt Labour left, forget Covid, this started happening long before Covid came along. so all those furious Tory voters who think they haven't been brainwashed by the Torys need to ask themselves why they were furious with Labour over leaving something like £750 bill debt after 13 yrs of being in office but weren't bothered when the Torys nearly doubled it 7yrs later, they have now tripled that debt.
Anyway, the lesson is the British public are given opinions and all those simple sound bites to attack Labour have to be fought.  thankfully the British public now understand what the Torys have been doing. they try to scare voters into not voting Labour, the Torys might as well raise their hands and go  woo woo like they are telling some ghost story, it's pathetic as it happens every election yet many fell for it every time.
« Last Edit: May 9, 2024, 11:03:33 am by oldfordie »
               Emily Maitlis

Offline Trump's tiny tiny hands

• Legacy Fan
  • Building steam with a grain of salt
« Reply #31439 on: May 9, 2024, 11:25:58 am »
Yougov Poll
Fieldwork 7-8 May

Lab 48 (+4)
Con 18 (NC)
Ref 13 (-2)
LD 9 (-1)