Author Topic: Henry: Liverpool could stay at Anfield  (Read 29899 times)

Offline kalle-anka

• Dönåld Dükk!!!!!
  • Legacy Fan
  • SOS member 6912
Re: Henry: Liverpool could stay at Anfield
« Reply #40 on: February 4, 2011, 12:41:32 pm »
No brainer.  If there is way to increase capacity at Anfield we stay.

Offline KENNYS DUGLEASH

• Main Stander
  • The Finest Club In English Football - No Argument
« Reply #41 on: February 4, 2011, 12:42:51 pm »
I think Henry has just shown that he really does feel for the club - not like the other twats he replaced. He can see how much Anfield means to the fans and the Kop in particular. If the ground can be redeveloped to a suitable standard with enough capacity then it is a no brainer, we stay at HOME in a new old ground! You cannot build atmosphere and a new ground would never replace Anfield.

Total agreement M8,Have a look at the teams around you and ask where are the best atmospheres?
Man City and Arsenal have both found new homes, have they lost a certain amount of atmosphere?Id say yes especially Arsenal the emirites does not come close in terms of true atmosphere.
We at Celtic like you at Anfield are blessed with a very unique and vocal support,you have been to Parkhead more than a few time in recent years, ask yourself HAVE WE LOST ANY OF OUR ATMOSPHERE?
NO...Why because we are at our spiritual home and have kept the fans close to the pitch but made the Stands bigger.
We would still be paying the costs off if we had moved when it was proposed.

Rebuild Anfield and keep your heart and soul firmly placed where they belong.

YNWA

Offline _Lfc_

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • *YNWA*
« Reply #42 on: February 4, 2011, 12:44:48 pm »
If its to cost 100s of millions and they're willing to redevelop then I respect that. It would be a terrible day if we were to lose anfield. This is anfield! not some stadium across stanley park

Offline CraigDS

• Lite. Smelt it and dealt it. Worrawhopper.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #43 on: February 4, 2011, 12:45:02 pm »
Do our fans not make an atmosphere when we go to these new stadiums then?

Online stjohns

• ambliance or precinct we're not sure......
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #44 on: February 4, 2011, 12:50:15 pm »
Should just dig down in the ground and make 3/4 tiers all round the ground then stuff the away fans right at the back in the highest tier so they can be seen and not heard. Madrid and United did that to accommodate and now they have massive grounds

Pretty sure that's the same playing surface utd had in the 60's, sloping down to the brick at the edges.
Barca certainly dug down - the entire lower tier is below ground level. Thats why the front seats are so near the pitch. I don't think we have the room to do that as we'd end up with an illegally small playing surface.
The other thing that's crossed my mind is: Wouldn't the existing  Kop end up being the lowest section of seating if we were to build 3 new stands to take capacity up to 60,000+? Might work a treat mind.

Offline rutlandred

• Kopite
  • SOS
« Reply #45 on: February 4, 2011, 12:51:55 pm »

YNWA

This.

We move from Anfield, we lose all that we are and just become another corporate club...

They are bringing measures into place for clubs to be on a more equal footing as far as spending money is concerned, so staying at Anfield will work in our favour imo, retain our history.  Plus, we couldn't even take up our allocation at Bolton away this year, let alone a 70+ new stadium.

Offline KENNYS DUGLEASH

• Main Stander
« Reply #46 on: February 4, 2011, 12:52:29 pm »
Do our fans not make an atmosphere when we go to these new stadiums then?

You certainly do when you come to Parkhead lah,
what about part terracing?

Online stjohns

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #47 on: February 4, 2011, 12:53:17 pm »
Total agreement old mucker,Have a look at the teams around you and ask where are the best atmospheres?
Man City and Arsenal have both found new homes, have they lost a certain amount of atmosphere?Id say yes especially Arsenal the emirites does not come close in terms of true atmosphere.
We at Celtic like you at Anfield are blessed with a very unique and vocal support,you have been to Parkhead more than a few time in recent years, ask yourself HAVE WE LOST ANY OF OUR ATMOSPHERE?
NO...Why because we are at our spiritual home and have kept the fans close to the pitch but made the Stands bigger.
We would still be paying the costs off if we had moved when it was proposed.

YNWA

If we have the room to do a Celtic - no brainer IMO.

Offline No Way José

• Kopite
  • Hard as fuck - Not me, Wiggo
« Reply #48 on: February 4, 2011, 12:53:35 pm »
]The size of the pitch is a problem as well. Not only does it help teams to sit in and frsustrate us, but we need special dispensation to play in Europe. Maybe they could push the Anny road stand back and reroute the road either through the park or through a tunnel under the stand

This is something that I've often pondered and wondered why its not discussed more often. I'm sure we suffer more than other teams when sides come to stifle us. Whenever I watch the Mancs play at home, their wide open spaces negate teams that try this. We have one of the smallest pitches in the premier league. Have put the dimensions for last seasons sides below for reference:

1. Manchester City, City of Manchester Stadium, 116 x 77 Yards, 8932

2. Manchester United, Old Trafford, 116 x 76 yards, 8816

3. Blackburn Rovers, Ewood Park, 115 x 76 yards, 8740

4. Everton, Goodison Park, 112 x 78 yards, 8736

5. Wolves, Molineux, 115 x 75 yards, 8625

6. Aston Villa, Villa Park, 114 x 75 yards, 8550

7. Hull City, K C Stadium, 115 x 74 yards, 8510

8. Arsenal, Emirates Stadium, 114 x 74 yards, 8436

9. Sunderland, Stadium of Light, 114 x 74 yards, 8436

10. Wigan Athletic, JJB Stadium, 114 x 74 yards, 8436

11. Portsmouth, Fratton Park, 115 x 73 yards, 8395

12. Chelsea, Stamford Bridge, 110 x 75 yards, 8250

13. Fulham, Craven Cottage, 110 x 75 yards, 8250

14. Liverpool, Anfield, 110 x 75 yards, 8250

15. Birmingham City, St. Andrews, 110 x 74 yards, 8140

16. Tottenham Hotspur, White Hart Lane, 110 x 73 yards, 8030

17. Bolton Wanderers, Reebok Stadium, 110 x 72 yards, 7920

18. Burnley, Turf Moor, 112 x 70 yards, 7840

19. West Ham United, Boleyn Ground, 110 x 70 yards, 7700

20. Stoke, Britannia Stadium, 110×70 yards, 7700

« Last Edit: February 4, 2011, 12:56:43 pm by No Way José »
What doesn't kill you, only makes you stronger. Except Polio

Offline CraigDS

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #49 on: February 4, 2011, 12:53:36 pm »
This.

We move from Anfield, we lose all that we are and just become another corporate club...

They are bringing measures into place for clubs to be on a more equal footing as far as spending money is concerned, so staying at Anfield will work in our favour imo, retain our history.  Plus, we couldn't even take up our allocation at Bolton away this year, let alone a 70+ new stadium.

The measures you speak of is determined by your overall income - we bring in £40m a year from anfield, the likes of Arsenal and United bring in more than double that. We'll not be on an equal footing without bridging that gap.

Offline Razorblade

• RAWK Supporter
  • Kopite
« Reply #50 on: February 4, 2011, 12:54:47 pm »
Redevleop...redevelop...redevelop

Would be a tragedy to leave all that History behind if we were to move to some souless new place

Offline Juliano

• Main Stander
  • We all live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #51 on: February 4, 2011, 12:57:26 pm »
Henry was faced with similar issues with the Boston Red Sox and Fenway Park. An old stadium (actually, the oldest in the MLB) which looks obsolete and small compared with the shiny new stadia built all over the US, but packed with history and passion.

As for now, NESV have chosen to remain there. It may be a hint as to what solution has their preference re Anfield.

Offline Bonaqua

• Kopite
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #52 on: February 4, 2011, 12:57:52 pm »
we could redevelop anfield to what? 60,000?. What happens in 10 years times when we are crowned kings of europe for the 10th time and need 70,000 or 80,000?

Yeah. And this is only one of the problems we`ll have when we are crowned kings of europe for the 10th time  ;D

Offline KENNYS DUGLEASH

• Main Stander
« Reply #53 on: February 4, 2011, 01:00:37 pm »
How much increase in attendance would making the KOP fully terraced again?
How many fans worldwide do LFC actually have?
Could you not start a development fund for fans to 'donate' a few quid to rebuild the ground on side at a time ?Starting with the kop say a tenner a head?

Offline Baz Smythe

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #54 on: February 4, 2011, 01:00:50 pm »
They will have hired the best architects in the world to sort this out. The only problem is with a new stadium they could have sold the rights like Arsenal did and have that practically pay for it whereas a redevelopment they will not get option unless they change the names of the stands like the all new "Carlsberg Centenary stand" or the "Maxxi's tyres Kop end" How would people feel about that?
Follow me on twitter.

https://twitter.com/1chrissmith1

Offline main-stand-molby

• Kopite
« Reply #55 on: February 4, 2011, 01:01:37 pm »
This is something that I've often pondered and wondered why its not discussed more often. I'm sure we suffer more than other teams when sides come to stifle us. Whenever I watch the Mancs play at home, their wide open spaces negate teams that try this. We have one of the smallest pitches in the premier league. Have put the dimensions for last seasons sides below for reference:

So compared to the mancs our pitch is 3 yards either goal closer, and half a yard either side narrower.

hardly significant.  its perception from tv angle most of the time.

Offline High_Cotton

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #56 on: February 4, 2011, 01:02:17 pm »
They did a great job with Fenway; I would love for them to redevelop Anfield.  No way should Anfield be replaced.  It would be a crime.

Offline CraigDS

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #57 on: February 4, 2011, 01:04:35 pm »
They did a great job with Fenway; I would love for them to redevelop Anfield.  No way should Anfield be replaced.  It would be a crime.

The last thing left of the historic Anfield is the Main Stand - and that'll be the first to be knocked down and rebuilt totally different.

Offline TomDcs

• Cross dressing, pant shitting, clothes thief
  • Legacy Fan
  • Six times...
« Reply #58 on: February 4, 2011, 01:06:53 pm »
Leader of the council Joe Anderseon has already said no development of the ground. So, I don't know where that leaves  us.

I think they could be swayed with some LFC funded development of the locality around anfield though.

Offline redbyrdz

• No to sub-optimal passing! Not content with one century, this girl does two together. Oh, and FUCK THE TORIES deh-deh-deh-deh!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #59 on: February 4, 2011, 01:07:21 pm »
Nice of him to come out with that. Would be made up if we could stay.

There's loads of threads, information and whatever on this on the "New Stadium" board
http://www.redandwhitekop.com/forum/index.php?board=7.0
"I want to build a team that's invincible, so that they have to send a team from bloody Mars to beat us." - Bill Shankly

Offline rutlandred

• Kopite
  • SOS
« Reply #60 on: February 4, 2011, 01:08:14 pm »
The last thing left of the historic Anfield is the Main Stand - and that'll be the first to be knocked down and rebuilt totally different.

...and even if we build a new stadium, the old pitch would remain where it is.  The Kemlyn isn't the same anymore - but its still the kemlyn :)

Online Eeyore

• "I have no problem whatsoever stating that FSG have done a good job.".Mo Money, Mo Problems to invent. Number 1 is Carragher. Number 2 is Carragher. Number 3 is Carragher. Number 4 is Carragher. Likes to play God in his spare time.
  • Campaigns
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT 97
« Reply #61 on: February 4, 2011, 01:08:43 pm »
Reminds me of only fools and horses.

In one episode, Trigger proudly displays a medal to anyone who will look which he was awarded by the local council for having contributed to the community by using the same brush for the past 20 years. He then proudly holds up the brush and claims "Maintained it for 20 years. This old brooms had 17 new heads and 14 new handles in its time." When Sid inquires how it can be classed as the same brush, Trigger angrily shows him a picture of him receiving the medal and demands "Well there's the bloody picture! What more proof do you need?"   

If we build 4 new stands and re-lay the pitch every other year what is actually left of the old Anfield.
"Ohhh-kayyy"

Offline CraigDS

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #62 on: February 4, 2011, 01:10:16 pm »
If we build 4 new stands and re-lay the pitch every other year what is actually left of the old Anfield.

The fans and the trophies from the trophy cabinet.

Both of which would go to the new stadium.

Offline High_Cotton

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #63 on: February 4, 2011, 01:10:20 pm »

You're right.  That surely discounts my point.  We should build an Emirates-like ground at Stanley Park. What was I thinking?

Online stjohns

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #64 on: February 4, 2011, 01:13:34 pm »

3. Blackburn Rovers, Ewood Park, 115 x 76 yards, 8740

4. Everton, Goodison Park, 112 x 78 yards, 8736

5. Wolves, Molineux, 115 x 75 yards, 8625

6. Aston Villa, Villa Park, 114 x 75 yards, 8550

7. Hull City, K C Stadium, 115 x 74 yards, 8510

8. Arsenal, Emirates Stadium, 114 x 74 yards, 8436

9. Sunderland, Stadium of Light, 114 x 74 yards, 8436

10. Wigan Athletic, JJB Stadium, 114 x 74 yards, 8436

11. Portsmouth, Fratton Park, 115 x 73 yards, 8395

12. Chelsea, Stamford Bridge, 110 x 75 yards, 8250

13. Fulham, Craven Cottage, 110 x 75 yards, 8250

15. Birmingham City, St. Andrews, 110 x 74 yards, 8140

16. Tottenham Hotspur, White Hart Lane, 110 x 73 yards, 8030

17. Bolton Wanderers, Reebok Stadium, 110 x 72 yards, 7920

18. Burnley, Turf Moor, 112 x 70 yards, 7840

19. West Ham United, Boleyn Ground, 110 x 70 yards, 7700

Hard to believe the ot pitch is only 3 feet wider than ours

Offline djibril

• wishes he had chosen a better username
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
« Reply #65 on: February 4, 2011, 01:14:33 pm »
I dont know about anyone else, but a new stadium would forever evoke memories (in even a small way) of the previous owners.  Thats maybe just me but it would feel that way as it was supposed to be them that were to build it in the first place.  I eventually swayed towards the idea of a new stadium when the arguments for and against staying were originally floated.  Had been firmaly in the redevelop Anfield camp (is Anfield4ever still running?) but the arguments for a brand new stadium got stronger and stronger over time.  But since John Henry mooted staying I've been swaying towards that again and a fresh look at how we could redevelop is definitely necessary given the changes since it was originally ruled out.

My only concern would be how the redevelopment leaves the 'look' of the stadium.  Would be against a completely 'lop-sided' stadium, even if you may argue the difference between The Kop and the Anfield Road makes it a bit that way as it stands.  At the same time I also wouldnt want the Kop to end up looking 'small' in comparison to the sides, or even a similar size to the 'away' end.
"If we want no criticism then we must work harder to ensure we don't deserve it" - Rafael Benitez

Offline b_joseph

• b_jesus, b_mary, b_joseph and the wee b_donkey. Unloyal gloryhunter who was probably Kelly Osbourne in another life.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #66 on: February 4, 2011, 01:14:36 pm »
Henry told Fox Soccer Channel: "We were surprised at how beautiful Anfield was both viewing it as an empty stadium and then with the first game.

I liked this part. I think that is what most of us felt like the very first time that we stepped into the stadium.

Hopefully we can find a way to stay there but from everything that I've read over the years, it does seem to be a pipe dream.

Offline CraigDS

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #67 on: February 4, 2011, 01:15:12 pm »
You're right.  That surely discounts my point.  We should build an Emirates-like ground at Stanley Park. What was I thinking?

I wasnt doubting their ability to revelop, I was more talking about 'replacing Anfield' as you put it. But thats already been done for 75% of it.

Offline b_joseph

• b_jesus, b_mary, b_joseph and the wee b_donkey. Unloyal gloryhunter who was probably Kelly Osbourne in another life.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #68 on: February 4, 2011, 01:16:42 pm »
Hard to believe the ot pitch is only 3 feet wider than ours
Yards...76 feet would be a 5-a-side type of field.

I agree though. The TV makes certain fields look larger or smaller than what they actually are. No way would I have guessed that Fulham is just as big of a field as ours.

Offline matthew45

• RAWK Supporter
  • Kopite
  • Try hard blogger and embarrassed OOT
    • Matthew Cain's blog
« Reply #69 on: February 4, 2011, 01:16:56 pm »
while im no expert on construction, there are some on this site however and they have said that redevelopment is likely to be in the hundreds of millions to get anfield up to 'scratch'.

I think it would be a lot harder to raise the finance for the incremental option because the commercial opportunities [particularly naming rights] would be slower at being realised and there would be a revenue hit to a smaller Anfield during redevelopment.

I'd be interested to learn what happens to construction costs when you have to 're start' the process (tenders, plans etc) vs the additional cost of producing a larger structure.
I blog about Liverpool, mostly focussed on the reserves, at: http://blog.matthewcain.co.uk/category/liverpool-fc/

Offline Johnathan

• definitely a real fan...
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #70 on: February 4, 2011, 01:17:46 pm »
You managed to work a false dichotomy and a straw man into three sentences. Bravo.
See him touch Pepe's cock with his mouth :D

Offline High_Cotton

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #71 on: February 4, 2011, 01:20:59 pm »
I wasnt doubting their ability to revelop, I was more talking about 'replacing Anfield' as you put it. But thats already been done for 75% of it.

I'll choose my words more carefully next time.  I took it for granted that people knew that the original stadium had undergone work since its construction, and so I didn't realize anyone would choose such a literal interpretation. :)

Offline robgomm

• He just can't get enough of Luis Suarez.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #72 on: February 4, 2011, 01:21:13 pm »

The bricks and mortar isn't what makes the special, is it?

Offline CraigDS

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #73 on: February 4, 2011, 01:23:19 pm »
I'll choose my words more carefully next time.  I took it for granted that people knew that the original stadium had undergone work since its construction, and so I didn't realize anyone would choose such a literal interpretation. :)

You may not of been being so literal (its pretty much impossible to tell one way or another on the internet) but others have been about this issue.

The fans is what makes Anfield IMO, not the multiple times rebuild and relaid pitch. Moving to a new stadium should not make any difference to the fans that attend and therefore the atmosphere created. IMO.

Online stjohns

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #74 on: February 4, 2011, 01:23:50 pm »
Yards...76 feet would be a 5-a-side type of field.

I agree though. The TV makes certain fields look larger or smaller than what they actually are. No way would I have guessed that Fulham is just as big of a field as ours.

? It's a yard wider than Anfield.

Offline KENNYS DUGLEASH

• Main Stander
« Reply #75 on: February 4, 2011, 01:24:01 pm »
Reminds me of only fools and horses.

In one episode, Trigger proudly displays a medal to anyone who will look which he was awarded by the local council for having contributed to the community by using the same brush for the past 20 years. He then proudly holds up the brush and claims "Maintained it for 20 years. This old brooms had 17 new heads and 14 new handles in its time." When Sid inquires how it can be classed as the same brush, Trigger angrily shows him a picture of him receiving the medal and demands "Well there's the bloody picture! What more proof do you need?"   

It's Still ANFIELD?
Unless off course you dig the whole area up and stick it on a low loader and transport it to Stanley Park?
Celtic Park has been rebuilt,the pitchvre layed several times but it's still Parkhead to me and all those that bounced up and down in the jungle 20 years ago.
Youllxsoon forget the shiny new seats and fancy cladding when the smell of Lager and And pies fills the air and the announcer slaps on YNWA....It's Still ANFIELD NOTHING HAS MOVED ,NOTHING HAS CHANGED

Offline DUGlish

• blah blah and so on...
  • Kopite
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #76 on: February 4, 2011, 01:25:25 pm »
We would fill 60-70,000 look at the waiting list....
There are places I remember.....

Offline Paragon

• of Virtue. David N'Gog's biggest fan, why did we sell?
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #77 on: February 4, 2011, 01:27:01 pm »
If we could get Anfield up to 55 or 60,000 then that would be fantastic.
Would be even more fun if you could stand up to a hook to the jaw for being a snidey bastard. But then that's reality! No one needs to 'swim or drown' in a coward's paradise.

Offline rutlandred

• Kopite
  • SOS
« Reply #78 on: February 4, 2011, 01:27:22 pm »
We would fill 60-70,000 look at the waiting list....

The why couldn't we fill it against Stoke..?

We fill it when we're on a Rafalution playing top euopean teams, but not midweek against the potters.  And the waiting list has gone to ratshit, the girls in the office lost the A4 notepad years ago...

Offline StormyDog

• You know had only 4 shots on target
  • Legacy Fan
  • Give yourself the chance to be Heroes
« Reply #79 on: February 4, 2011, 01:27:36 pm »
Leader of the council Joe Anderseon has already said no development of the ground. So, I don't know where that leaves  us.
Council leaders change.
Pep Guardiola: "We knew immediately when the draw was made - Anfield, they won it five times, the fans believe - it will be hard. We were beaten by an exceptional team."