Author Topic: World Cup Stadium Hand Out  (Read 3330 times)

Offline scouse29

• Legacy Fan
  • Koppite
World Cup Stadium Hand Out
« on: May 17, 2010, 12:58:59 pm »
Does anyone know if England is sucessful in its attempt to host the world cup in 2018, if LFC are able to get hold of a FIFA grant or receive money from the pot to fund part of the stadium build?

Just wondering if our american friends have been putting off trying to finance the stadium in past if they can get something for nothing?

The Liverpool way!!!

Offline Fowlers left boot

• Main Stander
  • Has the skill of Biscan and the build of Molby....
Re: World Cup Stadium Hand Out
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2010, 03:00:02 pm »
I'm actually working on the 2018 world cup bid. 

The Liverpool bid stated that if we won 2018 bid, games would be hosted at "New Anfield" if built, and if not it would be the current Anfield site. 

Under FIFA criteria, the current Anfield site has enough capacity to host group matches (minimum 40k) - the only issue is the coporate hospitality side of things, which can be worked round as it is on current match days - along with a few small overlay type works (such as upgrading changing facilities etc).

So in answer to your question - I believe that if we win the bid (which, thanks the daily fail is now going to be very difficult), and the new stadium isn't in development - they'll work on the basis that the current stadium will have enough seats in it and only need a small amount of "overlay" to meet FIFA criteria.

Interestingly though - South Africa have received additional money from the SAFA and FIFA to complete grounds that were struggling due to the financial climate - so there is a precedent there...

When you walk, through a storm - hold your head up high....

Offline CraigDS

• Lite. Smelt it and dealt it. Worrawhopper.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2010, 09:16:23 am »
Dont we have an issue with the size of our pitch though?

Offline Fowlers left boot

• Main Stander
  • Has the skill of Biscan and the build of Molby....
« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2010, 12:09:44 pm »
I wasn't aware of that (but I'm working on requirements for another city - so not completely plugged into the Liverpool bid team).

I can't really see the size of our pitch being an issue though - as far as I was aware it meets all curent UEFA requirements, and thefore should meet the FIFA ones too.  There is a FIFA requirement about the amount of space between the pitch and the advertising hoardings - that could be an issue, given the mimimal space at Anfield as well as the surface (must be grass) - BUT, this is a small technicality that could be sorted.

From what I know, the main issues with the Liverpool are -  the corporate hospitality side of things (as mentioned above), and other smaller issues like the changing rooms (will need to be bigger), dug outs (seriously - there has to be a minimum distance between the two dug outs - which also need to be in a long bench format at the side of the pitch, a criteria that not even Wembley meets!) - and there's also a possible issue around transportation (not that Anfield isn't easily accessible, but more around trying to meet FIFA requirements on numbers of parking spaces etc).

Basically, if the new stadium isn't in place by 2018 - and England actually win the bid - I think it would be safe to say that group games would be played at Anfield.  Therefore, I couldn't see us getting a grant to help build the new stadium.
When you walk, through a storm - hold your head up high....

Offline CraigDS

• Lite. Smelt it and dealt it. Worrawhopper.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2010, 05:06:05 pm »
I thought we had an issue with our pitch not being large enough and we don't have the ability to make it any larger without getting too close to the boards and the stands. I'm sure that's why we haven't held an international game since the euros.

I could be wrong but that's what I've heard in the past.

Offline TSC

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2010, 09:30:24 pm »
Anfield was used in the group games in Euro 96.  Anyway, I can't see there being any help towards a new ground or anything drastic - England is overladen with top class grounds for the big games without relying on Anfield.

Offline scouse29

• Legacy Fan
  • Koppite
« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2010, 12:44:42 pm »
I thought we had an issue with our pitch not being large enough and we don't have the ability to make it any larger without getting too close to the boards and the stands. I'm sure that's why we haven't held an international game since the euros.

I could be wrong but that's what I've heard in the past.

Think they had to leave the first few rows of the annie road when the euros were to extend the pitch if my memory serves me correct.

I also seem to remember clubs getting grants for the euros to tart up grounds, hence the reason for the post
The Liverpool way!!!

Offline jaygraham

• Fiction is not the same as FACT
  • Legacy Fan
  • LFC
« Reply #7 on: May 27, 2010, 01:54:26 pm »
I'm actually working on the 2018 world cup bid. 

The Liverpool bid stated that if we won 2018 bid, games would be hosted at "New Anfield" if built, and if not it would be the current Anfield site. 

Under FIFA criteria, the current Anfield site has enough capacity to host group matches (minimum 40k) - the only issue is the coporate hospitality side of things, which can be worked round as it is on current match days - along with a few small overlay type works (such as upgrading changing facilities etc).

So in answer to your question - I believe that if we win the bid (which, thanks the daily fail is now going to be very difficult), and the new stadium isn't in development - they'll work on the basis that the current stadium will have enough seats in it and only need a small amount of "overlay" to meet FIFA criteria.

Interestingly though - South Africa have received additional money from the SAFA and FIFA to complete grounds that were struggling due to the financial climate - so there is a precedent there...

Really interesting. Wouldn't want them to touch the home dressing room though. Its been the same for 30+ years. The home one is tiny - but was good enough for our players of the past and good enough for the current crop too.
It's awfully considerate of you to think of me here/ and i'm most obliged to you for making it clear/ that i'm not here