Author Topic: New Rough Trade shop to open in the city  (Read 1683 times)

Offline Cracking Left Foot

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
New Rough Trade shop to open in the city
« on: January 3, 2024, 10:36:06 pm »
Some good news for the city and for any music lovers. Rough Trade are brilliant, their shop in London is fantastic

https://www.clashmusic.com/news/rough-trade-to-open-massive-shop-in-liverpool/

Offline FlashingBlade

• Organised a piss up in a brewery. Ended up in his pants with a KFC bucket. Future MP. Eats only Fish Heads and Tails. Can't spell 'DOMUM'. Now has no balls.
  • Legacy Fan
  • From a Shankly Boy to a Klopp Man
Re: New Rough Trade shop to open in the city
« Reply #1 on: January 3, 2024, 11:26:25 pm »
Some good news for the city and for any music lovers. Rough Trade are brilliant, their shop in London is fantastic

https://www.clashmusic.com/news/rough-trade-to-open-massive-shop-in-liverpool/

Yet Probe records in Liverpool for 50 years selling all your vinyl needs and actually inspired Travis and Rough Trade is just around the corner...shop there first!

Offline John_P

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2 on: January 3, 2024, 11:39:30 pm »
Good news for the potential in store gigs they could be able to do

Bad news for my wallet
"I must go to the hospital because the injury was so serious that maybe he will be there for one week,"

Gamertag: Chosen John

Offline jackh

• Has a blog but doesn't like to talk about it. Slightly obsessed with the colour orange for some weird reason......
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
    • @hartejack
« Reply #3 on: January 4, 2024, 03:51:01 pm »
Mixed feelings about this. Really pleased to see that physical-format music sales are in apparently in a healthy enough state to create the demand for this, along with the potential for in-store performances, but also conscious that in the era of streaming, it's a pretty finite customer base and it could be a real threat to Probe Records.

Offline Baby Huey

• Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #4 on: January 4, 2024, 04:06:53 pm »
Yet Probe records in Liverpool for 50 years selling all your vinyl needs and actually inspired Travis and Rough Trade is just around the corner...shop there first!
This.

From the early 70's on Probe was the go to for any kind of music. Pre's, dubplates that were inaccessible in the region outside of this shop. My love for Rory Gallagher was born in this shop. The staff, Annie and Geoff who owned Probe. Peter's little shop down the left hand side...Wylie behind the counter. It was a beacon for people who were making music, post punk in the city. With the famous Eric's nightclub just around around the corner, the shop became a regular haunt of the burgeoning talents of Frankie Goes to Hollywood, Echo and the Bunnymen and The Teardrop Explodes. For those of us who love music and who grew up on the terraces in the 70's this was the place to buy your music.

Offline rob1966

• YORKIE bar-munching, hedgehog-squashing (well-)articulated road-hog-litter-bug. Sleeping With The Enemy. Has felt the wind and shed his anger..... did you know I drive a Jag? Cucking funt!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5 on: January 4, 2024, 04:47:45 pm »
This.

From the early 70's on Probe was the go to for any kind of music. Pre's, dubplates that were inaccessible in the region outside of this shop. My love for Rory Gallagher was born in this shop. The staff, Annie and Geoff who owned Probe. Peter's little shop down the left hand side...Wylie behind the counter. It was a beacon for people who were making music, post punk in the city. With the famous Eric's nightclub just around around the corner, the shop became a regular haunt of the burgeoning talents of Frankie Goes to Hollywood, Echo and the Bunnymen and The Teardrop Explodes. For those of us who love music and who grew up on the terraces in the 70's this was the place to buy your music.

I didn't even know Probe was still going, due to the old shop not being there on Button Street, it's a burger joint or something isn't it now?, was in there most weekends as a teenager.
Jurgen YNWA

Offline jackh

• Has a blog but doesn't like to talk about it. Slightly obsessed with the colour orange for some weird reason......
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
    • @hartejack
« Reply #6 on: January 4, 2024, 05:01:09 pm »
I didn't even know Probe was still going, due to the old shop not being there on Button Street, it's a burger joint or something isn't it now?, was in there most weekends as a teenager.

It's on School Lane now - Bluecoat Chambers. Always pop in when I'm in town.

Offline rob1966

• YORKIE bar-munching, hedgehog-squashing (well-)articulated road-hog-litter-bug. Sleeping With The Enemy. Has felt the wind and shed his anger..... did you know I drive a Jag? Cucking funt!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7 on: January 4, 2024, 05:38:14 pm »
It's on School Lane now - Bluecoat Chambers. Always pop in when I'm in town.

Not been down there in donkeys, I only go into town with the missus now and we always end up in Mathew Street, usually Erics.
Jurgen YNWA

Offline Baby Huey

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #8 on: January 4, 2024, 06:11:45 pm »
Sorry Rob, I've been walking around town waiting for Boots to sort out my prescription.

Like Jack says, Bluecoat Lane now. In fact it's in the slot that Geoff first used when Backtraxs moved out of Button St. When Probe left Button St it was based on the corner of Wood St and Slater St. The old building is now a bar called Rock n Rolla.

Ruined that part of town...students and tourists. No Kardomah either. ;D Lived in and loved the KD.

Offline rob1966

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #9 on: January 4, 2024, 06:36:15 pm »
Sorry Rob, I've been walking around town waiting for Boots to sort out my prescription.

Like Jack says, Bluecoat Lane now. In fact it's in the slot that Geoff first used when Backtraxs moved out of Button St. When Probe left Button St it was based on the corner of Wood St and Slater St. The old building is now a bar called Rock n Rolla.

Ruined that part of town...students and tourists. No Kardomah either. ;D Lived in and loved the KD.

Cheers mate.

Used to get t-shirts and other stuff from Extremes in the early 80's and I've got vague memories of backtrax
Jurgen YNWA

Offline moondog

• dot com! Wake him up before he go-gos.....
  • Legacy Fan
  • Bring the noise
« Reply #10 on: January 4, 2024, 06:43:41 pm »
Used to love Backtrax for the 2nd Hand classics and a few quid on trade in.
We had so many record shops to choose from back in the 80/90s , all died away once Tesco and Asda started selling CDs. Rough Trade will make a difference to Probe and I hope they can survive.

Offline Baby Huey

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #11 on: January 4, 2024, 07:27:14 pm »
We had so many record shops to choose from back in the 80/90s , all died away once Tesco and Asda started selling CDs. Rough Trade will make a difference to Probe and I hope they can survive.
The more the merrier.

I no longer collect records, I sold my families collection earlier this year, just before I moved into the city centre. I still go into Henry Bohns book store on London Rd and peruse his LP collection. I will buy a jazz LP that I think a friend will like.

In fact, everyone should give give the shop  a look, especially if you like classic and jazz. It's a little oasis for people who love books and music in a long forgotten part of the city centre.

Offline ToneLa

• you know the rules but I make the game.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • I AM FURIOUS, RED (STILL)
« Reply #12 on: January 5, 2024, 11:45:13 am »
Probe is still alright.

If you want vinyl, was sadly quite impressed by HMV's selection (!)

I'm going off it a bit. Sort of prefer CDs but I don't have a CD player

Might go events like the Future Yard's vinyl market https://futureyard.org/listings/crate-market-10/

Was just in London, went in a record shop in Portobello Road... under E, for Ed Sheeran, empty. They'd sold out. So we left, because that struck us as pathetic, a sign of the times. I was looking for Neu! Ed Sheeran on vinyl being the main thing people buy, gawd help us

Anyway, yeah, more music shops, bring it on, but if it's more mainstream crap I won't be interested

Offline jackh

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
    • @hartejack
« Reply #13 on: January 5, 2024, 01:59:19 pm »
Probe is still alright.

Might go events like the Future Yard's vinyl market https://futureyard.org/listings/crate-market-10/

Was just in London, went in a record shop in Portobello Road... under E, for Ed Sheeran, empty. They'd sold out. So we left, because that struck us as pathetic, a sign of the times. I was looking for Neu! Ed Sheeran on vinyl being the main thing people buy, gawd help us

Anyway, yeah, more music shops, bring it on, but if it's more mainstream crap I won't be interested

Offline rob1966

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #14 on: January 5, 2024, 03:10:14 pm »
Probe is still alright.

The eldest wanted a guitar, so took him the Trafford Centre to look at a few - the shop sells vinyl as well as instruments. He was gobsmacked as I flicked through the stuff, Metallica, Faces, Creedence Clearwater Revival, Alice in Chains, Queen etc etc - he was made up seeing is, as I was, its years since i've stood in a record shop looking through the vinyl
Jurgen YNWA

Offline Son of Spion

• "No, I said I was WORKING from home! Me ma's reading this, ya bastids!" Supporter of The Unbrarables. Worratit.
  • RAWK Betazoid
  • Legacy Fan
  • BAGs. 28 Years..What Would The Bullens Wall Say?
« Reply #15 on: January 5, 2024, 04:24:04 pm »
I'll have a look in the new Rough Trade shop at some point. Mind you, I don't buy vinyl these days. I still have a turntable but since my old stack system packed in I've only had a CD player going through the speakers. I also prefer the cleaner sound of CDs now. However, I still miss holding a vinyl record and sleeve and reading the sleeve notes. Back in the day the unveiling of a newly bought album was something special.

I remember Probe in Button Street. I ordered something there once and my Mum went in to pick it up because I was at work. I think the sight of Pete Burns scared the hell out of her.  :lmao

Out of interest, does anyone recall the name of the old record shop that used to be on Cases Street in the early 80s? I remember buying a rare Tubeway Army 12" of 'Down in the Park' from there. Later signed by Numan at Liverpool Airport when he piloted an old Dakota into the city. I've still got all my vinyl, but haven't played it for a long time now.
The light that burns twice as bright, burns half as long, and you've burned so very, very brightly, Jürgen.

Offline ToneLa

• you know the rules but I make the game.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • I AM FURIOUS, RED (STILL)
« Reply #16 on: January 6, 2024, 10:27:34 am »
The eldest wanted a guitar, so took him the Trafford Centre to look at a few - the shop sells vinyl as well as instruments. He was gobsmacked as I flicked through the stuff, Metallica, Faces, Creedence Clearwater Revival, Alice in Chains, Queen etc etc - he was made up seeing is, as I was, its years since i've stood in a record shop looking through the vinyl

Eyy, now that's a good selection. Need some CCR vinyl meself

That's the thing about vinyl. It's the longest-enduring format. So you can cater to classic albums, you can go decades and decades back, as well as the modern hipsters who want the chart shite

The ideal record shop to me has new, yeah, but a deep library of old

Went St John's market yesterday and a stall had a good selection of old stuff. Not quite my taste. I also like Defend on Smithdown Rd. But it's fun flippin through records, because one major reason I like vinyl is the HUGE album artwork, which USED to be a real artform

Offline afc tukrish

• How long for them sausages? Maggie May's Mythical Turkish Delight. RAWK's Expert Sausage Monster! Oakley Cannonier is fucking boss. Likes blowing his friends and undoing their nuts? Who nose?!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • This looks like a nice spot...
    • Flat Back Four
« Reply #17 on: January 6, 2024, 11:54:48 am »

That's the thing about vinyl. It's the longest-enduring format. So you can cater to classic albums, you can go decades and decades back, as well as the modern hipsters who want the chart shite

Went St John's market yesterday and a stall had a good selection of old stuff. Not quite my taste. I also like Defend on Smithdown Rd. But it's fun flippin through records, because one major reason I like vinyl is the HUGE album artwork, which USED to be a real artform

Pretty good definition of a worthwhile endeavo(u)r: having created something that somone not quite interested in it spends time flipping through it anyway...
Since haste quite Schorsch, but Liverpool are genuine fight pigs...

Offline rob1966

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #18 on: January 6, 2024, 07:22:29 pm »

Same here mate, 12inch picture discs too

Iron Maiden had some great covers, loved Sanctuary ;D

Somewhere In Time had loads of hidden references to the band and other stuff

Couple of Early Marillion

Jurgen YNWA

Offline Only Me

• Insufferable twat. Brexiteer supreme.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #19 on: January 6, 2024, 07:57:51 pm »
I'll have a look in the new Rough Trade shop at some point. Mind you, I don't buy vinyl these days. I still have a turntable but since my old stack system packed in I've only had a CD player going through the speakers. I also prefer the cleaner sound of CDs now. However, I still miss holding a vinyl record and sleeve and reading the sleeve notes. Back in the day the unveiling of a newly bought album was something special.

I remember Probe in Button Street. I ordered something there once and my Mum went in to pick it up because I was at work. I think the sight of Pete Burns scared the hell out of her.  :lmao

Out of interest, does anyone recall the name of the old record shop that used to be on Cases Street in the early 80s? I remember buying a rare Tubeway Army 12" of 'Down in the Park' from there. Later signed by Numan at Liverpool Airport when he piloted an old Dakota into the city. I've still got all my vinyl, but haven't played it for a long time now.

I remember the shop you mean mate but can’t for life of me remember the name.

It wasn’t the original home of Cut Price Records was it?

Offline rob1966

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #20 on: January 6, 2024, 08:30:11 pm »
I remember the shop you mean mate but can’t for life of me remember the name.

It wasn’t the original home of Cut Price Records was it?

Cut Price seems to be right , corner of cases street and elliot street

« Last Edit: January 6, 2024, 08:31:46 pm by rob1966 »
Jurgen YNWA

Offline Son of Spion

• "No, I said I was WORKING from home! Me ma's reading this, ya bastids!" Supporter of The Unbrarables. Worratit.
  • RAWK Betazoid
  • Legacy Fan
  • BAGs. 28 Years..What Would The Bullens Wall Say?
« Reply #21 on: January 6, 2024, 10:07:57 pm »
I don't think it was that one. If I remember right it wasn't on a corner. I actually thought it might have been Backtrax but I don't think they ever had a shop there.

The joys of aging. Memories fade.  ::)

Thanks for the replies.  :thumbup
The light that burns twice as bright, burns half as long, and you've burned so very, very brightly, Jürgen.

Offline Baby Huey

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #22 on: January 6, 2024, 11:25:07 pm »

In Cases Street? I don't recall any record shops down there. There was a record shop just down the road on Church St, 69a, Penny Lane Records which was a sister store on Bold Street.  It was upstairs next to Miltons. It's a jewellers now. The other one as seen above was Cheverton Records, before it became Cut Price. The best place in Liverpool for Disco 12" singles.IIRC.

Just here.

This is it.

« Last Edit: January 6, 2024, 11:42:15 pm by Baby Huey »

Offline moondog

• Legacy Fan
  • Bring the noise
« Reply #23 on: January 6, 2024, 11:50:30 pm »
In Cases Street? I don't recall any record shops down there. There was a record shop just down the road on Church St, 69a, Penny Lane Records which was a sister store on Bold Street.  It was upstairs next to Miltons. It's a jewellers now. The other one as seen above was Cheverton Records, before it became Cut Price. The best place in Liverpool for Disco 12" singles.IIRC.

Just here.

This is it.

Cheverton was in Williamson Sq by the back of Jack Sharps, and Penny Lane was also in Richmond St nearby (in a basement) for a while, the one upstairs by Miltons on Church Street was the main one I recall until they moved in to Bold Street.

Offline Baby Huey

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #24 on: January 7, 2024, 12:01:37 am »

Cheverton was in Williamson Sq by the back of Jack Sharps, and Penny Lane was also in Richmond St nearby (in a basement) for a while, the one upstairs by Miltons on Church Street was the main one I recall until they moved in to Bold Street.
Of course Cheverton was in Richmond St. I should have remembered that. I was in there one day buying Relax and Paul Rutherford was in there at the same time, asking the staff if the single was selling. I knew Paul from the scene at Erics, along with pretty much everyone on the music scene in the late 70's early 80's. I was working as a dj then and I was telling him everyone was asking for it, it had been released three days earlier. Thanks for that mate. :wave

Offline moondog

• Legacy Fan
  • Bring the noise
« Reply #25 on: January 7, 2024, 12:24:59 am »
Yeah Steve Proctor worked in there for a while, djing at the System and the State at the weekend.

Offline kesey

• Hippy - Scally - Taoist - Rafiki - Dad - Trichotomist. Hill Climber, David Cassidy Fan Club
  • Legacy Fan
  • Truth , Love and Simplicity ♡
« Reply #26 on: January 9, 2024, 06:36:11 pm »

I use to get a lot of my 12" vinyl from there and 3 Beat from 89 to 91 . I think the fellas name was Carl Alex who passed on a few of his mixed tapes to me.
He who sees himself in all beings and all beings in himself loses all fear.

- The Upanishads.

The heart knows the way. Run in that direction

- Rumi

You are held . You are loved . You are seen  - Some wise fella .