Author Topic: The Big, Bumper 2005/06 Preview Bonanza Spectacular (Extravaganza)  (Read 10288 times)

Offline MalaysianRed

• Main Stander
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
Re: The Big, Bumper 2005/06 Preview Bonanza Spectacular (Extravaganza)
« Reply #40 on: August 4, 2005, 09:08:41 am »
Good read!

As for Chelsea, if they get Essien it could get very interesting - to be honest, not seen much of him, but everyone seems to rate him.

It seems as though the Chelsea-Essien deal is dead

http://skysports.planetfootball.com/list.asp?hlid=296486&cpid=8&CLID=&lid=3&title=Lyon:+Essien+deal+dead&channel=premiership

Offline Raymondez

• Main Stander
  • Red in Malaysia
« Reply #41 on: August 4, 2005, 10:41:44 am »
Great read as ever... Thanks Paul...

Need to check something out with you guys though... I've heard that most of you say that Mark Gonzales is a winger who can play on either flank, however if I'm not wrong, I think that he's left legged right? Can anyone confirm if he can play on the right flank as well?? Cos if so, that would be great news, I think we have a lot of left legged players at the moment... and so far nobody on the right flank can replicate what Zenden is doing for us.....

Also, with regards to the preview on the 2005/06 season, I'm more interested in your opinions on whether is Chelsea is going to be beatable by the other 'strengthened' premier teams such as spurs, newcastle, bolton etc.... cos whether or not we can beat Chelsea in both legs of the premiership only equate to 6 points between us, I'm just hoping that the other premier teams can give Chelsea a good run for their money..... cos than that would help us a lot in going for the title...  of course not to overlook Arsenal and Manu...
"Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting "...holy shit...what a ride!"

Carradonna: "Bigger than Liverpool??? What....... you mean more players??? more....???????"

Offline Paul Tomkins

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #42 on: August 4, 2005, 10:47:20 am »
Great read as ever... Thanks Paul...

Need to check something out with you guys though... I've heard that most of you say that Mark Gonzales is a winger who can play on either flank, however if I'm not wrong, I think that he's left legged right? Can anyone confirm if he can play on the right flank as well?? Cos if so, that would be great news, I think we have a lot of left legged players at the moment... and so far nobody on the right flank can replicate what Zenden is doing for us.....

I think I answered that earlier.

I'm not sure what foot he prefers but Rafa says he can play on either flank. I personally like midfielders who cut inside onto their favoured foot - Pires and Zidane both play on their 'wrong' side. But with players like Moro and Crouch needing crosses, you need someone who can go outside his man, too.

Maybe Gonzales is actually two-footed, shock, horror!  :D

Offline Homo Noeticus

• Main Stander
  • Rafalution to the Fore!!!
« Reply #43 on: August 4, 2005, 04:29:27 pm »
If I understood the question, I'd tell you!  :D

Nah, that's just the wrestler "THE Rock"s signature. More meant more to be of a quote than to be question.  :D

A few points in response to Paul's insightful and accurate article..
1.  Haven't our pre-season preparations been good?  FA/UEFA have unwittingly done us a big favour in my view.  No long-haul travel in blinding heat, competitive fixtures (but against beatable opposition), opportunity to blend the new players in, and to plan line-ups for the season etc.  Best preparation we have had for years, and certainly gets us to the blocks quicker than any of the other big clubs.

Got to agree with this. The genius in Rafa means that he has smartly integrated the qualification games as part of our Swiss training, which in turn, has complemented our preseason training! And we can see our lads raring to go (eg: Djib, Momo and Gerrard). THe signs are looking very good.

Now, if only and only... the new CB and RW are here... instead of the uncertainty, we will all be oozing with anticipation... ( not that we aren't anyway)  ;D
Rafa "The Smiling Assassin" Benitez is here for good. Haz been loading up his artillery with new weapons (n still upgrading), and come tis season, will be out with his full artillery blazing down the pitch!!!
And to quote Rushian:"Rafalotion. Many possibilities." :)

Offline Mighty_Red

• Rojo Poderoso!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • All hail the King...
    • Join the fight - SOS
« Reply #44 on: August 4, 2005, 08:03:29 pm »
A few points in response to Paul's insightful and accurate article..

1.  Haven't our pre-season preparations been good?  FA/UEFA have unwittingly done us a big favour in my view.  No long-haul travel in blinding heat, competitive fixtures (but against beatable opposition), opportunity to blend the new players in, and to plan line-ups for the season etc.  Best preparation we have had for years, and certainly gets us to the blocks quicker than any of the other big clubs.

2.  We appear, already, to have got into the lovely habit of winning games.  Seven so far?  22 goals for.  Very important.  Confidence must be high...the lads are expecting to win again.

3.  Although we all wondered who would be the 'star' expensive signing, havent the half-dozen 'lesser-lights' done really well? 

4.  Anyone notice how the 'Mourinho' strategy appears to be a fairly rigid 4-4-2 formation, with the cash used to have two equivalent style players competing for each position?  Rafa, by dint of his signings is shaping a squad, where the possibilities (!) are much more flexible.  I can envisage an 11 which can be altered to suit any situation, even within games.  We just seem to have altered the balance, fluidity and mentality of the squad immeasurably.

I am becoming optimistic about the season.  August 13 will tell a big tale.  A fixture I have not looked forward to in years.  I get the feeling this time will be different.  The mentality of the side will be tested for sure.  If we can come away with a win that day, we will have learned a lot as to the learning curve Rafa is on.

Would agree with this, put in the fact that the games against Bayer & Olympiakos were good workouts means that we've done well this season.

I would say that last years preparation was also good, we did well in the US. This time however I feel we have a bigger squad to cope with all the games.

Hopefully Toyko will provide a small breather in the season to allow us to save energy
Some clubs were always destined for greatness...

Offline redbuff

• Kemlynite
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #45 on: August 5, 2005, 09:22:03 am »
Good post Paul

It seems like everytime that our title chances are discussed on here people come out with the old need a new rw and cb to challenge.  At first I was on this bandwagon but I feel it is a bit short sighted.  While I think a top quality cb would be an excellent addition to our squad and an outstanding winger may well be the key to our title challenges and hopefully success in the not too distant future,  they cost big money.  I think some of rafa's thinking on these issues are evident in the attempt to lure figo to anfield. 

A player like Figo would have been a perfect signing for us at this point in time for a number of reasons.   He slots immediately into a 'troublesome' position (although quite frankly I dont see it as that big a weakness) and could have made an immediate impact.  He would be reasonably cheap although his wages proved to be prohibitive and thus the money we would have saved could then be used next year to fund a move for the real right winger that we want.  He comes with a big name which always pleases the fans.  He has champions league experience and a winning mentality (although the last might be questionable). 

As we all know it wasn't to be but I think his interest in this type of player gave us an indication of which way he was headed in regards to this seasons right winger (stelios speculation is quite similar) Bolo Zenden is another player with which you could draw similar comparisons.

I think rafa has greatly strengthened the entire squad and has a strong foundation with which to mount a serious title assault.  I think the final pieces of the puzzle will come next august where the lions share of the transfer budget will be used on 1-2 signature signings that will give us the extra impetous in the title race. 

All that said I still give us as good a chance as Man U or Arsenal of upsetting Chelsea this year!

Offline Red-juvenated

• Legacy Fan
  • "Normal One"
« Reply #46 on: August 5, 2005, 09:48:38 am »
Keep them coming Paul, your articles shed so much light on current situations.

Last years exploits in the CL have elevated us to the heights we all crave and after so many years of struggling to keep up with the 'leaders' in the PL, we can undoubtedly be listed in the 'Top 4'. That is a position we need to sustain and improve on, and with Rafa at the helm, the only way is UP!

This is a season for consistency and to emerge as potential contenders for the PL title. Whether we win it or not will not diminish the fact that we are on the upturn and will be a team to be reckoned with from here after, the RED future.

This is the first chance Rafa has had to buy his 'sofa' and I have complete faith in him to gradually take us all the way up. Welcome to Phase II of the Rafalution.
Doubters to Believers

Offline Corkboy

• Sworn enemy of Bottlegirl. The Boston Toilet Mangler. Grauniad of the Cidatel. Into kinky S&M with the Lash.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Is it getting better?
« Reply #47 on: August 5, 2005, 11:24:49 am »
I can see Arsenal struggling. Losing Edu and Vieira means that Silva, who missed a lot of games last season, would be very badly missed if he's crocked. They could conceivably be starting with Flamini and Fabregas, Pires and Ljungberg across the middle.

Bergkamp, Paul, can go on forever in my view. I think he'll have another quality season if used sparingly.

Bottom line though, injuries to Terry Henry and Silva could screw them for the year.

I also think someone up at MU Soccerballs is bound to start scoring soon. They had more chances than anyone last season but couldn't convert.

Chelsea will suffer if Terry, Lampard or Makelele are crocked. There's a good chance in all cases. The two Englischers have played something like 14,500 games between them in the last two years. Makelele has re-declared for France (much to Brian Kerrs dismay) so he'll be stretched.

In summation, I expect Mancs and ourselves to make up ground and Arsenal and Chelsea to lose ground. To mangle a culturo-historical metaphor, Rafatollah will lead us into glory with Peter the Great at the forefront...

Offline Paul Tomkins

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #48 on: August 5, 2005, 11:33:01 am »
Bergkamp, Paul, can go on forever in my view. I think he'll have another quality season if used sparingly.

He's a quality act, no doubt. And his game is all in the head - he's so quick-thinking.

But if he picks up more niggling injuries due to age, then he'll get less and less effective.

Offline Sheep1977

• Anny Roader
« Reply #49 on: August 5, 2005, 01:48:44 pm »
I'm genuinely optimistic about our chances for the season.

I feel Chelsea will be just too good for us in defence and with the quality of wingers they posess. So for the purposes of this post I will analyse our squads with United's and Arsenals with a view to convincing myself we will finish on top of the pile, bar Chelsea.

I feel our midfield compares favourably to both Manchester United and Arsenals. In fact I would take only maybe Ronaldo from both clubs midfields to add to our top choice starting line up of Gerrard, Alonso and Kewell.

It looks like we will be better in the goalkeeping position. Lehman I do not fancy and Van der Saar, for me has not performed consistently well in his time with Fulham.

I feel we are stronger than Arsenal in defence and at a similar level to Manchester United. If we can sign a 'ball playing' centre back in the mould of Ferdinand who can help with Rafa's playing style I feel we could usurp Uniteds defensive unit as well.

Up front I would suggest is where we could struglle to live up to Arsenal and United. Henry, for me, is by far the greatest centre forward in the game at the moment. More effective, I would suggest than Shevchenko. Whether Reyes, Van Persie and more to the point Bergkamp can perform consistently alongside Henry is the question for Arsenal.

United, of course have Van Nistlerooy, who whilst struggling slightly last season still had impressive stats for goals to games. And the jewell in the crown. Rooney, obnoxious he undoubtably is, but class he also is. He is one of those players who can do things on the field that can take your breath away.

We have excellant strikers. Whenever I see Cisse play I get the feeling he is going to do something. He has a winning mentality which you can see on the pitch and in his interviews that will stand him in great stead in the future. Morientes I feel will also be a big player this season. Not though, in my opinion as big as Crouch who for me is maligned because of appearance not ability. An excellant finisher he has an all round dangerous game not based on just pace, or arial ability or muscle. It is unusual in the modern game to have this type of player where the obsession seems to be to have a player up front with searing pace not really considering finishing, distribution or ability to hold up the ball (for eg H.Camara, Bellamy, Bellion to name but a few). I just don't feel that our competitors have anything like Crouch playing for them. He is certainly an option which may bear fruit.

On paper though I feel we are weaker than United and Arsenal in attack.

Based on my admittedly biased opinions I feel we have every chance of finishing ahead of Arsenal and United this year. Chelsea though, without further strengthening on our part might have a little bit too much quality for us.

Having said that. Who would have predicted Everton would finish higher than us last year. Greece to win the Euro championships.....

Valencia to win 2 out of 3 championships in Spain with squads that are, on paper inferior to their major rivals.
« Last Edit: August 5, 2005, 01:50:35 pm by Sheep1977 »

Offline Thommo's Beak

• Main Stander
  • Fly the flag my Red Army!
« Reply #50 on: August 5, 2005, 07:02:17 pm »
There is a lot of talk about us finishing above Arsenal this season but I don't think that will be possible, the best we can hope for is 3rd. I still think our defense is abit weak, it done well in the CL (not including the final) but you can't play flat-out like that for 38 games. Just my opion but I still think we're a long way behind Arsenal and Chelsea, Man U are an enigma at the moment.

The top 4 aren't given either, top 2 will be Arsenal & Chelsea though. Was looking at Chelsea's first 6 games and they look like maximum points all the way, last thing you want is them lot storming it.

I'm optimistic but I do have my doubts about players like Crouch and Moro, really hope the latter clicks into gear by the time Boro come round. Our midfield is pretty hard to beat though.
A spectre is haunting Europe - the spectre of Liverpool

Offline Paul Tomkins

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #51 on: August 5, 2005, 08:54:02 pm »
There is a lot of talk about us finishing above Arsenal this season but I don't think that will be possible, the best we can hope for is 3rd.

I think we can hope for more than 3rd. Doesn't mean we'll get it, but I think the big four are more evenly matched this season. If Arsenal click into gear, sure, it'll be tough finishing above them. But not impossible if they don't have a great year.

Offline Thommo's Beak

• Main Stander
  • Fly the flag my Red Army!
« Reply #52 on: August 6, 2005, 02:00:33 am »
When I say 3rd is the best we can hope for I don't mean it in a pessimist way I just mean it in the fact that Chelsea are unbelievably strong and Arsenal are still a class act (with or without Viera). Arsenal's undoing last year was the defence, and although they still have Lemon in goal the young Swiss lad looks absolute class with Cole, Lauren and Toure. That to me is a strong defence, even stronger than ours. Then you hit Freddie and Robert in Midfield, the same amount of goals as Gerrard and Garcia (probably)! Henry after that! Injuries persisting, and if they happen the young replacements have been blooded already. That to me is the best team to challenge Chelsea.

I want to believe we will win the league next year, but it is still too early. I still have doubts over the defence and the forwards and the lack of experience for others, coupled with the double blow of Figo and Gonzales.

There is a lot to be excited about this season but I still think there is a long way to go.
A spectre is haunting Europe - the spectre of Liverpool