Author Topic: Arsenal  (Read 5737645 times)

Online DelTrotter

• Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
Re: General Arsenal Thread - Wenger Gone - Unai Emery appointed
« Reply #51280 on: November 3, 2018, 07:32:18 pm »
They are good...simple as that. That he has them working so well off the ball while in possession, is impressive.

The two strikers, have and will feast on the dross. Great pace and movement.

Your love in with every "rival" is proper weird.

Offline Lycan

• Loves egg. Quite partial to a nipple too. Once came into contact with Jeremy Beadle and his tiny right hand. I used to be a Werewolf, but I'm alright noooooooooowww!!!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #51281 on: November 3, 2018, 07:37:47 pm »
Thought we let them off the hook today to be honest. We weren't great, but still had the clearer cut chances and had a goal wrongly ruled out for offside. Still, a point away from home against an improved Arsenal side isn't the end of the world. Still undefeated in the league too.
“There he goes. One of God's own prototypes. A high-powered mutant of some kind, never even considered for mass production. Too weird to live, and too rare to die.”

Offline deFacto please, you bastards

• Apologies if I haven't responded to every post in every thread yet, I'm trying hard. farKnow.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #51282 on: November 3, 2018, 07:38:14 pm »
Lucky again today.

Offline Lush is the best medicine...

• FUCK THE POLICE - NWA
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #51283 on: November 3, 2018, 07:38:17 pm »
Would put them just ahead of spurs as 4th best side in the league

Offline Lycan

• Loves egg. Quite partial to a nipple too. Once came into contact with Jeremy Beadle and his tiny right hand. I used to be a Werewolf, but I'm alright noooooooooowww!!!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #51284 on: November 3, 2018, 07:40:17 pm »
Would put them just ahead of spurs as 4th best side in the league

I'd go along with that at this moment in time.
“There he goes. One of God's own prototypes. A high-powered mutant of some kind, never even considered for mass production. Too weird to live, and too rare to die.”

Online Dim Glas

• Die Nullfünfer.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Michael Sheen is the actual Prince of 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿
« Reply #51285 on: November 3, 2018, 07:40:19 pm »
Thought we let them off the hook today to be honest. We weren't great, but still had the clearer cut chances and had a goal wrongly ruled out for offside. Still, a point away from home against an improved Arsenal side isn't the end of the world. Still undefeated in the league too.

Indeed. 2 hit posts, a 1 on 1 VVD should have scored, goal wrongly dissaollowed, couple other good chances.  Should have been long over by the 80th minunte.   

But, still, a decent point away, cos despite all that, we didn't play well.

Offline Bullet500

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #51286 on: November 3, 2018, 07:44:46 pm »
Indeed. 2 hit posts, a 1 on 1 VVD should have scored, goal wrongly dissaollowed, couple other good chances.  Should have been long over by the 80th minunte.   

But, still, a decent point away, cos despite all that, we didn't play well.
How were Arsenal's chances?

Offline Ashburton

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #51287 on: November 3, 2018, 07:45:41 pm »
If you're creating chances when you're not playing well then things are pretty rosy as far as Liverpool are concerned.  A little worrying how the midfield was bypassed in the second half, but on balance of play Arsenal still let too many defensive mistakes through despite really stepping up the team cohesion. 

Overall really enjoyed the game, seeing a combative, interested, motivated team perform against a world class side and go toe-to-toe for much of it was something I've not seen in a long time.

Don't upset the narrative mate they'll be all over it. 

Online Hazell

• Ultimate Movie Night Draft Winner 2017. King - or Queen - of Mystery. Hyzenthlay. The 5th Benitle's sex conch.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #51288 on: November 3, 2018, 07:46:06 pm »

Good but thought the lino was MoM for you lot today.
We have to change from doubter to believer. Now.

Online Dim Glas

• Die Nullfünfer.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Michael Sheen is the actual Prince of 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿
« Reply #51289 on: November 3, 2018, 07:48:32 pm »

not as frequent and as good as Liverpools clearly :D 

Well done on the point though.

Online disgraced cake

• Legacy Fan
  • Seis Veces
« Reply #51290 on: November 3, 2018, 07:55:26 pm »
Always felt the goal was coming for them today, just didn't see us hanging on. I thought it would have been Aubameyang to score but we kept him relatively quiet in the 70 odd mins he was on.

Holding was impressive , but it's a shame we didn't make them work a bit more. Don't remember Ozil ever having a good game against us. Maybe in that 4-1 defeat under Rodgers.

Think both sides have every right to be a bit disappointed with the outcome.

Wash your fucking hair though Unai.
Proud follower of the city's junior, and far more successful footballing side

Rome 1977
London 1978
Paris 1981
Rome 1984
Istanbul 2005
Madrid 2019

19 League Titles, 6 European Cups, 3 UEFA Cups, 8 FA Cups, 10 League Cups, 4 European Super Cups, World Champions 2019. We live the dream.

• Apologies if I haven't responded to every post in every thread yet, I'm trying hard. farKnow.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #51291 on: November 3, 2018, 08:04:30 pm »
If you're creating chances when you're not playing well then things are pretty rosy as far as Liverpool are concerned.  A little worrying how the midfield was bypassed in the second half, but on balance of play Arsenal still let too many defensive mistakes through despite really stepping up the team cohesion. 

Overall really enjoyed the game, seeing a combative, interested, motivated team perform against a world class side and go toe-to-toe for much of it was something I've not seen in a long time.

Don't upset the narrative mate they'll be all over it.

It's not a bloody narrative, you had your chances, nobody said you didn't but you surely aren't arguing with hitting the wood work twice, Van Dijk having a header unmarked from a corner, a one on one with Leno, and a goal disallowed?

So in comparison the quality of chances were in our favor.

You played well no doubt but despite that, despite us not playing at our best, imo we had the better of the chances, and should have won imo.

Offline Ashburton

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #51292 on: November 3, 2018, 08:10:25 pm »
It's not a bloody narrative, you had your chances, nobody said you didn't but you surely aren't arguing with hitting the wood work twice, Van Dijk having a header unmarked from a corner, a one on one with Leno, and a goal disallowed?

So in comparison the quality of chances were in our favor.

You played well no doubt but despite that, despite us not playing at our best, imo we had the better of the chances, and should have won imo.

I'm not arguing 'what might have been' because some people seem to like to obsess over it.  If the goal was allowed, do the managers change the shape earlier and we end up with a 4-3 win instead?  You can't tell, it is just conjecture.  The score was the score, I think overall Arsenal dominated the game but Liverpool had the best chances.   Liverpool have another gear, but this is a team which got to the CL final and Arsenal are a team in transition, I think it is fair to say both sides could have won but either could have lost also.

Offline b_joseph

• b_jesus, b_mary, b_joseph and the wee b_donkey. Unloyal gloryhunter who was probably Kelly Osbourne in another life.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #51293 on: November 3, 2018, 08:12:34 pm »
Your love in with every "rival" is proper weird.
I cant acknowledge a good team being a good team?

Nobody thought Arsenal would be this far along this early into his reign. Its impressive that they are and how often they have earned points from losing positions.

I'm sorry...they are shit and we should have had them 4-0 if it wasnt for lady luck and corrupt officials!

Offline Ashburton

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #51294 on: November 3, 2018, 08:14:37 pm »
I cant acknowledge a good team being a good team?

Nobody thought Arsenal would be this far along this early into his reign. Its impressive that they are and how often they have earned points from losing positions.

I'm sorry...they are shit and we should have had them 4-0 if it wasnt for lady luck and corrupt officials!

Much better, you're drinking the kool-aid now  8)  Carry on Comrade...

Online The North Bank

• Can even make the sun shine in Manchester - once in a blue moon...
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #51295 on: November 3, 2018, 08:32:57 pm »
Excellent game, fair result, we played the better football but could have shipped a few in. I half expected  a hammering so pleasantly surprised , I didn’t think we’d have it in us to produce this type of game so soon into Emery’s reign.
 Torreira was immense again, we may have won had Iwobi started in place of that useless Micky Ryan.Overall I’m more than happy where we are at the moment, shame we had to play city first game when we weren’t much of a team, they got gifted 3 points there.

Online Gerry Attrick

• Sancho's dad. Tight-arse, non-jackpot-sharing get :)
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #51296 on: November 3, 2018, 08:35:06 pm »
Much better, you're drinking the kool-aid now  8)  Carry on Comrade...

This isn't the Corbyn thread...

Online jillcwhomever

• Finding Brian hard to swallow. Definitely not Paula Nancy MIllstone Jennings of 37 Wasp Villas, Greenbridge, Essex, GB10 1LL. Or maybe. Who knows.....Finds it hard to choose between Jürgen's wurst and Fat Sam's sausage.
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • "I'm surprised they didn't charge me rent"
« Reply #51297 on: November 3, 2018, 08:35:27 pm »
Excellent game, fair result, we played the better football but could have shipped a few in. I half expected  a hammering so pleasantly surprised , I didn’t think we’d have it in us to produce this type of game so soon into Emery’s reign.
 Torreira was immense again, we may have won had Iwobi started in place of that useless Micky Ryan.Overall I’m more than happy where we are at the moment, shame we had to play city first game when we weren’t much of a team, they got gifted 3 points there.

Yes, you miserable bunch of buggers couldn't you have beaten them?  ;D

A good game though, lots of good attacking intent and Emery has done well to get Arsenal this competitive so far.
"He's trying to get right away from football. I believe he went to Everton"

Offline Ashburton

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #51298 on: November 3, 2018, 08:45:20 pm »

Must admit I saw the odds pre-game and had a bit of a light headed moment.  Once the LFC attack gets through the gears you really need to be performing at the back to keep them out .... and simply that hasn't happened at all this season.  All that said Torreira, Holding and Mustafi (other than him getting away with the offside) were really turning it on.  Agree with Mkhi, didn't seem to have the energy the rest of the front four had in the first half - too much walking around, not offering a passing outlet to help reduce pressure.  Yes he's good at flicks but Iwobi is in another league with making the team works how Emery wants it to.  Was heartening to notice the noise at the Emirates, Emery sneering and shouting on the touch line - sometimes you really need a bit of that passion and cohesion with the fans lending the team a little energy and on other days you'd have more moaning and lethargy instead.

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #51299 on: November 3, 2018, 09:12:13 pm »
Your biggest challenge will be December and how Emery handles that in his first hands on experience with the schedule here.

Offline El Lobo

• Chief Suck Up. Feel his breath on your face. Toxic, pathetic, arse-faced, weaselling slimeball. RAWK Maths Genius 2022.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Pretty, pretty, pretty pretty good
« Reply #51300 on: November 3, 2018, 09:14:18 pm »
Your biggest challenge will be December and how Emery handles that in his first hands on experience with the schedule here.

It’ll be interesting to see

There’s absolutely no way they can carry on getting these decisions but Lacazette looks a different player to last season so could still finish top 4. They really should actually.
If he's being asked to head the ball too frequently - which isn't exactly his specialty - it could affect his ear and cause an infection. Especially if the ball hits him on the ear directly.

Offline Iska

• Legacy Fan
  • The only club that matters
« Reply #51301 on: November 3, 2018, 09:53:44 pm »
Good side Arsenal, they’ll be top four this year imo and Spurs won’t.  That said I thought we kept them, not at arm’s length at all, but certainly at longer range than our attack were at their end.  Though maybe that’s just about how much more solid Liverpool’s defence is nowadays - I never really felt they were about to score, until they did.

Online The North Bank

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #51302 on: November 3, 2018, 10:02:37 pm »
This season has been a nice bonus, not Emerys team yet, i expect a few changes in the team in the summer. 2 quality centre backs and a top winger and we could be seriously good, weve undoubtedly got the right manager in place to take us forward.

Online Crosby Nick

• He was super funny. Used to do these super hilarious puns
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #51303 on: November 3, 2018, 10:03:27 pm »
This season has been a nice bonus, not Emerys team yet, i expect a few changes in the team in the summer. 2 quality centre backs and a top winger and we could be seriously good, weve undoubtedly got the right manager in place to take us forward.

He certainly the man if you’re going to be facing repeated Europa campaigns.

Online The North Bank

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #51304 on: November 3, 2018, 10:09:06 pm »
He certainly the man if you’re going to be facing repeated Europa campaigns.

and if we want to win trophies.

Offline Flaccido Dongingo

• A Daily Mail plant. Don’t swing at the king!
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #51305 on: November 3, 2018, 10:09:48 pm »
Legitimate goal is awarded to Liverpool in the first half, it's 3 points instead of 1, these "Pro" officials are great.

Offline FlashGordon

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • RAWK Cheltenham 2021 Champion Tipster*
« Reply #51306 on: November 3, 2018, 10:10:09 pm »
and if we want to win trophies.

Wenger won ye plenty of trophies  ;)
So bloody what? If you watch football to be absolutely miserable then go watch cricket.

Online The North Bank

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #51307 on: November 3, 2018, 10:12:37 pm »
Wenger won ye plenty of trophies  ;)

10 trophies. Greatest manager we ever had.

Offline FlashGordon

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • RAWK Cheltenham 2021 Champion Tipster*
« Reply #51308 on: November 3, 2018, 10:17:51 pm »

Was it just the lack of European trophies that got him turfed out?
So bloody what? If you watch football to be absolutely miserable then go watch cricket.

Online Hazell

• Ultimate Movie Night Draft Winner 2017. King - or Queen - of Mystery. Hyzenthlay. The 5th Benitle's sex conch.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #51309 on: November 3, 2018, 10:37:28 pm »

Bruce Rioch never got a chance though.
We have to change from doubter to believer. Now.

Online The North Bank

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #51310 on: November 3, 2018, 11:08:54 pm »
Was it just the lack of European trophies that got him turfed out?

Twas Time for the next chapter

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #51311 on: November 3, 2018, 11:14:38 pm »
I'm hoping yous finish above Spurs.

Online Crosby Nick

• He was super funny. Used to do these super hilarious puns
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #51312 on: November 3, 2018, 11:15:45 pm »
Bruce Rioch never got a chance though.

At least Coventry appreciated him.

Offline Destiny

• Main Stander
« Reply #51313 on: November 4, 2018, 07:25:27 am »
Emery is doing a great job, they aren't too far away from being a top side again and next season with the right signings they have the potential to be that under him. That Torreria is a beast £25 million for a player as good as him in the current market was daylight robbery. Watching Arsenal against City and Chelsea and the Arsenal last night was like watching two completely different teams and remember the chances they had against Chelsea they could of won that game.

Five of the the top six are managed by top quality managers and then you have Mourinho at United lol
« Last Edit: November 4, 2018, 07:33:01 am by Destiny »

Online ScouserAtHeart

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Pissing Manc "fans" off since 1999.
« Reply #51314 on: November 4, 2018, 07:52:54 am »
Just keep Spurs out of the Top 4
"Jürgen Klopp is bringing Liverpool's 'fuck you' back. And I can't wait."

Online red_Mark1980

• Wool ginger runner
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • J.F.T.97
« Reply #51315 on: November 4, 2018, 08:29:32 am »
They'll soon turn on him.

It's all handjobs and kisses until they drop points when they "shouldn't"

Offline ScottishGoon

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #51316 on: November 4, 2018, 11:04:47 am »
I was pleasently surprised by our performance yesterday. The narrative was already written, the notorious slow starters vs a team that likes to fire out the blocks. Don't get me wrong, we still rode our luck at times, but in terms of a balanced performance against a top top side that's the best I've seen us play in a while. To watch the build up from the back & the pressing was night & day compared to the first game against Man City.

Obviously plenty of room for improvement still but showing signs of improvement & taking on board & applying what the new manager wants us to do was the main objective this season, so hopefully we continue to do so.

As for yourselves, you can see your always dangerous even if you aren't playing to your best, & you can see how much the defence has improved. There's no doubt you'll be up there with Man City & perhaps Chelsea throughout the season. Being unbeaten after going to City, Spurs & Chelsea is a great feat. The difference with City though is that they've managed to win at the 2 of those places they've played.

Offline Ashburton

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #51317 on: November 4, 2018, 11:19:16 am »
I was pleasently surprised by our performance yesterday. The narrative was already written, the notorious slow starters vs a team that likes to fire out the blocks. Don't get me wrong, we still rode our luck at times, but in terms of a balanced performance against a top top side that's the best I've seen us play in a while. To watch the build up from the back & the pressing was night & day compared to the first game against Man City.

Obviously plenty of room for improvement still but showing signs of improvement & taking on board & applying what the new manager wants us to do was the main objective this season, so hopefully we continue to do so.

As for yourselves, you can see your always dangerous even if you aren't playing to your best, & you can see how much the defence has improved. There's no doubt you'll be up there with Man City & perhaps Chelsea throughout the season. Being unbeaten after going to City, Spurs & Chelsea is a great feat. The difference with City though is that they've managed to win at the 2 of those places they've played.

It certainly had a chance to go spinning off into the ether if the first 20 minutes got away from the team.  The narrative would have been the finished article vs the work in progress - but Emery did seem relatively happy that on another day the team played well enough to win, and on another day they would have lost - which are the margins you'd expect in big games.   Especially surprised with Xhaka and Welbeck in the second half.

Offline AndyMuller

• Has always wondered how to do it. Rice, Rice, Baby. Wants to have George Michael. Would batter A@A at karate.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #51318 on: November 4, 2018, 11:45:36 am »
Count Dracula looking c*nt.

Online jillcwhomever

• Finding Brian hard to swallow. Definitely not Paula Nancy MIllstone Jennings of 37 Wasp Villas, Greenbridge, Essex, GB10 1LL. Or maybe. Who knows.....Finds it hard to choose between Jürgen's wurst and Fat Sam's sausage.
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • "I'm surprised they didn't charge me rent"
« Reply #51319 on: November 4, 2018, 12:36:59 pm »
They'll soon turn on him.

It's all handjobs and kisses until they drop points when they "shouldn't"

Like a lot of fans you mean in football. I find it a little perplexing this stuff about Wenger as it was obvious to all of us that Arsenal were going to ruin under his leadership in the end, regardless of how a good manager he was at the start of his career. Emery is a good all round manager and see no reason why he won't eventually put them back amongst the top four teams, it could even occur this season considering Tottenham and United's situation.
"He's trying to get right away from football. I believe he went to Everton"