Author Topic: Suarez and Liverpool FC  (Read 71166 times)

Offline perspectiveplease

• getsomethenstopwastingourbandwidth!
  • Anny Roader
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
Re: Suarez and Liverpool FC
« Reply #320 on: June 25, 2014, 04:09:58 pm »
Fuck em all is what I think, those who want him gone because of this, need to have a word.

anyone rember this?

http://www.lfchistory.net/Articles/Article/506

How Shankly helped St John to avoid a suspension
Chris Wood has been looking at LFC stats, sending-offs, missed penalties etc...

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I have been looking into aspects of LFC statistics for LFChistory that are often difficult to find and difficult to check... like players sent off and missed penalties etc. I rely on my own memory as much as I can, but also through the many books that have been published about the club. Of equal importance are the first-hand memories of supporters who actually attended matches. I have been greatly helped in my research by questioning other fans and they in turn have passed my questions on to others.

Ron, a friend of mine who has hardly missed a home match for around 45 years and who was always at away matches too until he was made redundant ... has been a tremendous help and when I was discussing players sent off he added a couple to my growing list that I had no knowledge of. I was later able to get them confirmed but one incident baffled me. Ron told me he had been at a game in the 1960's when Ian St. John had been sent off. He knew it had been away at Coventry but couldn't remember the season. Later he was able to tell me it had been a "Boxing Day" fixture and that made it easy to find. But what was puzzling me was that the player didn't serve a suspension, normally automatic for a sending-off. The Saint played in every league and cup fixture from that Coventry game on 26th December 1967 until the end of the season. So WHY didn't he get suspended?

Ron met a real old-time supporter before the Champions' League match with Monaco and quizzed him about the incident. Through his reply, we have got the truth about the incident ... or as close to the truth as we are likely to get because some "Shankly stories" are almost apocryphal! But this is what is alleged to have happened: Ian St. John got involved with a player called Brian Lewis and as a result was sent off. The Saint had a bit of a temper. Bill Shankly and Bob Paisley accompanied Ian St. John to the disciplinary hearing, presumably in London (they usually were in those days). But Shanks had thought up a cunning plan to make it look as if his player had reacted only under the most severe provocation. It is alleged that he told St. John to get some black shoe-polish and smear it on his testicles. Only Shankly could think of something like this!! And they would use this as evidence in the player's favour to show that he had been grabbed down there and been severely bruised as a result, which resulted in the inevitable retaliation.

Now History doesn't tell us whether St. John actually pulled his pants down to show this 'evidence' to the disciplinary committee. But maybe just Shankly's ... er ... offer for the player to do that was enough for them to believe his story. Whatever actually happened, Ian St. John walked out of that disciplinary hearing as one of very, very few men who have escaped a ban after being sent off for violent conduct.

When his playing days were over, St. John had a short spell as manager of Portsmouth. After his appointment, he was introduced to his players one by one and came to a player towards the end of the line. That player was the same Brian Lewis with whom he had fallen out in 1967. Apparently Brian introduced himself by saying "I don't know if you remember me but I was the player you were sent off for when I was at Coventry a few years ago"!

And THAT is why Ian St. John didn't miss a game for the rest of the 1967-68 season. And you know what ... this story is SO ridiculous that in my opinion it just HAS to be true!"

So Luis has to tar his bollocks, basically?

Offline dmorgan

• Started well, turned out a bit meh.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Going, Going....gone.
« Reply #321 on: June 25, 2014, 04:10:49 pm »
Yeah, and we knew all that last season. Nothing has changed. This newest incident hasn't taught us anything new. He's a risk, no doubt about it. But it's one worth taking in my opinion.

It has really....I and many people thought that after the Ivanovic incident and serving his ban he had got into control of his emotions on the pitch especially after all the work that Steve Peters and co had done on him.

Offline Kadian

• Trolling along... The Specious One. Whistles the Liquidator as he types disparaging comments about Mario Balotelli So utterly predictable, Moreno's best mate
  • Legacy Fan
  • We're coming
« Reply #322 on: June 25, 2014, 04:11:32 pm »
Thompson and Fowler have really got on my nerves by calling for his sale. I kind of remember the same crap being said by our own ex-players last summer, and Neville of all people was saying how ridiculous that would be.

Offline Gonebay

• Horny for Dudek
  • Kopite
« Reply #323 on: June 25, 2014, 04:11:46 pm »
Hold on mate, he's just been voted POTY by the media who are supposed to hate him.

Did you see how well behaved he was when left alone? Fair play to media for acknowledging it but now they are back to paint him as evil.

Offline kennedy81

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #324 on: June 25, 2014, 04:11:59 pm »
Uruguay don't half mollycoddle him. Quite irritating really.

I think there's something in that.
I don't think it's just coincidence this has happened while playing for Uruguay, rather than for Liverpool.

Personally, I think he's far less likely to do it again next season playing for Liverpool, than he is for Uruguay. The manager and staff seemed to be able to help him keep a lid on it last season. I'm not so sure the Uruguayan coaching staff are doing such a good job of that, especially considering some of the reactions from Uruguayan players and media since yesterday.
It's hard to imagine Gerrard for example, coming out with some of the shite Lugano has been saying.

Online CraigDS

• Lite. Smelt it and dealt it. Worrawhopper.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #325 on: June 25, 2014, 04:12:17 pm »
Thompson and Fowler have really got on my nerves by calling for his sale. I kind of remember the same crap being said by own ex-players last summer, and Neville of all people was saying how ridiculous that would be.

Fowler has already come out and said he 100% didn't say the club should sell him.

Offline boots

• upon a hippo only look good if they match the tutu - fact! Oor Wullie, Your Wullie, A'Buddy's Wullie.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Klopptimistic
« Reply #326 on: June 25, 2014, 04:12:41 pm »
After 30 goals, probably pat him on the back and buy him some tooth sharpeners.
Typing with my finger on my computer. Other appendages are available.

Offline dmorgan

• Started well, turned out a bit meh.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Going, Going....gone.
« Reply #327 on: June 25, 2014, 04:13:03 pm »
Thompson and Fowler have really got on my nerves by calling for his sale. I kind of remember the same crap being said by own ex-players last summer, and Neville of all people was saying how ridiculous that would be.

How many people can you criticise to save one person?

Offline Chakan

• Chaka Chaka.....is in love with Aristotle but only for votes. The proud owner of some very private piles and an inflatable harem! Winner of RAWK's Carabao Cup captian contest.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Internet Terrorist lvl VI
« Reply #328 on: June 25, 2014, 04:13:30 pm »
Thompson and Fowler have really got on my nerves by calling for his sale. I kind of remember the same crap being said by our own ex-players last summer, and Neville of all people was saying how ridiculous that would be.

Robbie Fowler ‏@Robbie9Fowler 41m

I wanna know where it says in this article where I've said @lfc should sell him

Offline kennedy81

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #329 on: June 25, 2014, 04:14:14 pm »
It has really....I and many people thought that after the Ivanovic incident and serving his ban he had got into control of his emotions on the pitch especially after all the work that Steve Peters and co had done on him.
Yeah, they've done a good job with him, but it would be naive to think he was 'cured' permanently.

Also, bear in mind, he has been with the Uruguay set up these past few weeks, not at Liverpool.

Offline red1977

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #330 on: June 25, 2014, 04:14:16 pm »
So Luis has to tar his bollocks, basically?

or we knock his teeth out and play the elbow card

Offline Harinder

• RAWK Star. Top Kharbooja. Heat-Sikhing Missile Launcher. Purveyor of burning bushes, interpreter of dreams, provider of Egyptian travel before the age of 30, and saviour of RAWK. Also he has a beard.
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #331 on: June 25, 2014, 04:14:36 pm »

Prove this is what he said or sincerely shut up
Just clicked on the main board and my virus scanner came back with this

"When we visited this site, we found it exhibited one or more risky behaviors."

:lmao

Strip his knighthood https://submissions.epetitions.direct.gov.uk/petitions/47770

Offline idontknow

• idonowknowicanchangethisijustfoundouticould
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #332 on: June 25, 2014, 04:14:54 pm »
Fuck em all is what I think, those who want him gone because of this, need to have a word.

anyone rember this?

http://www.lfchistory.net/Articles/Article/506

How Shankly helped St John to avoid a suspension

Cheer yourselves up, read the whole article
It is a machine. It is more stupid than we are. It will not stop us from doing stupid things.

Offline Haemoglobin

• The Phantom Drive-By Dunker
  • Legacy Fan
  • Nunca Caminarás Solo
« Reply #333 on: June 25, 2014, 04:15:10 pm »
Don't all scoff at once, but... have a quick read of this.

Again, I stress I am not condoning this sort of behavoir on a football pitch at all. Luis should get a ban for doing it again. But just entertain for a moment the possibility that it could be some weird-ass neurological thing that he suppresses most of the time. Even if he was diagnosed as such, you can't do that in a sporting contest, or in any social context really, but it would be an interesting development to say the least.

And I'm not trivialising conditions such as Tourette's, or trying to find far-fetched lame excuses for him - it could well have no relation to anything whatsoever, just childish impulsive nobheadery on his part. It's most likely that, even. But I'm genuinely intrigued as to what makes him do this in particular, when the only ones who really suffer are himself and his team. I don't accept that he just does it because he's 'bad'. I really need to know now.
« Last Edit: June 25, 2014, 04:16:53 pm by Haemoglobin »
"under-promise and over-deliver"

Offline kennedy81

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #334 on: June 25, 2014, 04:15:50 pm »
Did you see how well behaved he was when left alone? Fair play to media for acknowledging it but now they are back to paint him as evil.
his good behaviour last season had nothing to do with the fact that the media had been going easy on him.
you're seeing it back to front.

Offline Draex

• Geek God of Typing Letters. Hugo unleashes Jaws? Purveyor of fuel products in Kent.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #335 on: June 25, 2014, 04:15:55 pm »

Fowler has just called bullshit on the quotes about himself on his own twitter account.

Offline Harinder

• RAWK Star. Top Kharbooja. Heat-Sikhing Missile Launcher. Purveyor of burning bushes, interpreter of dreams, provider of Egyptian travel before the age of 30, and saviour of RAWK. Also he has a beard.
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #336 on: June 25, 2014, 04:16:24 pm »
Fowler has just called bullshit on the quotes about himself on his own twitter account.

Indeed he has.
Just clicked on the main board and my virus scanner came back with this

"When we visited this site, we found it exhibited one or more risky behaviors."

Strip his knighthood https://submissions.epetitions.direct.gov.uk/petitions/47770

Offline Cantona

• Traore 1 Cantona 0
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #337 on: June 25, 2014, 04:19:32 pm »
Think of what happened with the player you are named after before saying anything  ;)

True. ;D

We fans let our star players get away with anything really, I used to find Cantona's moments of madness quite funny in a WTF? kind of way so I can sympathise, although he never did it in a sly manner like Suarez does. Cantona was honest and macho in his madness. ;D
When ze seagulls follow ze trawler....

Offline PhaseOfPlay

• Well red.Tom Jones Lover. AKA Debbie McGee. Apparently.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Under 7s Coaching Manual Owner.
« Reply #338 on: June 25, 2014, 04:20:28 pm »
Blah Blah Blah support Suarez, if you think he is arsed about our support or even if you think he would piss on you if you were on fire your mad. He goes from training to home in a car with blacked out windows an probably washes his hands after he has signed the bare minimum of autographs he has to.

He doesnt give a F***. He arsed about his family and money

The fans an staff have stood by this player time and again an his actions make a tit of us.

"but Suarez should never walk alone" they say

Shankly and paisley took this club from the second division to best team in europe. How would they react to a player who shamed the club like this?

How did Fagan react when Souness lamped a player in the middle of the field?

Or Paisley when Keegan traded punches with Bremner in Shanks' last game, and took his shirt off after being sent off?

Or Shanks when St.John was sent off for violent conduct?

These men were nothing if not realists.
Better looking than Samie.

Offline idontknow

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #339 on: June 25, 2014, 04:20:53 pm »
It is a machine. It is more stupid than we are. It will not stop us from doing stupid things.

Offline boots

• upon a hippo only look good if they match the tutu - fact! Oor Wullie, Your Wullie, A'Buddy's Wullie.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Klopptimistic
« Reply #340 on: June 25, 2014, 04:22:08 pm »
Sod off. Eric was a sly old fox at times. Honest and macho my arse.

Offline RainbowFlick

• The Test Ticket Tout. Head of the RAWK Vice Squad.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #341 on: June 25, 2014, 04:23:07 pm »

didn't seem like something he'd say.
YNWA.

Offline MerseyParadise

• Kopite
  • Wool son of Scotty road 'arl fella
« Reply #342 on: June 25, 2014, 04:23:28 pm »
How did Fagan react when Souness lamped a player in the middle of the field?

Or Paisley when Keegan traded punches with Bremner in Shanks' last game, and took his shirt off after being sent off?

Or Shanks when St.John was sent off for violent conduct?

These men were nothing if not realists.

Sport was on the back pages then , not front page.

Unless you followed football you wouldnt know who kevin keegan was. Now everyone in the world knows Suarez and that he plays for us.

Shanks spoke highly of honest men , honest hard working men

Suarez's actions would fall , in my opinion in the category of those "bloody foreigners" he was so suspicious of.

Agreed?
« Last Edit: June 25, 2014, 04:25:52 pm by MerseyParadise »
Insert obscure quote here

Offline kennedy81

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #343 on: June 25, 2014, 04:24:21 pm »
Blah Blah Blah support Suarez, if you think he is arsed about our support or even if you think he would piss on you if you were on fire your mad. He goes from training to home in a car with blacked out windows an probably washes his hands after he has signed the bare minimum of autographs he has to.

He doesnt give a F***. He arsed about his family and money

The fans an staff have stood by this player time and again an his actions make a tit of us.

"but Suarez should never walk alone" they say

Shankly and paisley took this club from the second division to best team in europe. How would they react to a player who shamed the club like this?

from Neil's piece on The Anfield Wrap:

"What would Bill Shankly think? I reckon it would be “I’ll have another ten of you.” As this is a Suarez think-piece I don’t need to support that but if I did I’d mention Ian St John getting himself sent off three times back when you had to work hard to get sent and there weren’t cameras everywhere for retrospective action. And no player was more Shankly than St John. If there was it might have been Keegan. And he had a fight with Billy Bremner in the Charity Shield. Football. It isn’t nice. It isn’t pleasant. It isn’t genteel. And there was no golden age when it was."

http://www.theanfieldwrap.com/2014/06/suarez-bites-man-think-words-write/

Online Andy82lfc

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #344 on: June 25, 2014, 04:24:34 pm »

Unless you followed football you wouldnt know who kevin keegan was. Now everyone in the world knows Suarez and that he plays for us

So we should do as the media says?

Online Fiasco

• Just add water to foam at the mouth. Can't spell San Francisco. Has promised to eat his own cock. Cannibal Self-Harm in that case.....
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96.
« Reply #345 on: June 25, 2014, 04:24:48 pm »
True. ;D

We fans let our star players get away with anything really, I used to find Cantona's moments of madness quite funny in a WTF? kind of way so I can sympathise, although he never did it in a sly manner like Suarez does. Cantona was honest and macho in his madness. ;D

It's weird mate, it's almost like you would treat your family. If someone in your family does something wrong, you are likely to forgive them easily, or make the offence seem lesser than it was. Very similar with footballers too I find.

Online na fir dearg

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #346 on: June 25, 2014, 04:25:42 pm »
Just wondering what Luis Suarez would have to do before people would say "OK - i think its time we let him go"

Last year, he fucked up - we all forgave him, "he wont do something like that again" - had probably his best season ever

But then he does it again! And whats to say he wouldnt bite someone again in the future?? :(

This cant go on - think its time to cash in, the bans will only become lengthier......

Online CraigDS

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #347 on: June 25, 2014, 04:26:29 pm »
This cant go on - think its time to cash in, the bans will only become lengthier......

Why, he isn't and won't be banned for us.

Offline idontknow

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #348 on: June 25, 2014, 04:26:29 pm »
Sod off. Eric was a sly old fox at times. Honest and macho my arse.
Oh dear, didn't see the trawler, scooped right up.  :)

Offline Paul5star

• Main Stander
« Reply #349 on: June 25, 2014, 04:26:34 pm »
The worry is that he gets a lengthy ban for something he does with Liverpool next season.

Offline Kadian

• Trolling along... The Specious One. Whistles the Liquidator as he types disparaging comments about Mario Balotelli So utterly predictable, Moreno's best mate
  • Legacy Fan
  • We're coming
« Reply #350 on: June 25, 2014, 04:26:57 pm »

Thompson said: "He was a fantastic player for all the right reasons, which is why I feel he's let us down. Will Barcelona and Real Madrid still want him with all this baggage? I think they'll still covet him and i think that would be a good get-out for Liverpool.

"I think this (transfer specualation) was going on in the background anyway so it might make life easier for (managing director) Ian Ayre, Brendan Rodgers and John Henry."

Offline PhaseOfPlay

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #351 on: June 25, 2014, 04:27:25 pm »

Unless you followed football you wouldnt know who kevin keegan was. Now everyone in the world knows Suarez and that he plays for us.

Shanks spoke highly of honest men , honest hard working men

Suarez's actions would fall , in my opinion in the category of those "bloody foreigners" he was so suspicious of.

Agreed?

Everyone knew who Kevin Keegan was. And George Best. And Malcolm Allison. And Bobby Charlton. And Bobby Moore. They were no less celebrities then, than they are now.

Online CraigDS

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #352 on: June 25, 2014, 04:27:37 pm »
Thompson said: "He was a fantastic player for all the right reasons, which is why I feel he's let us down. Will Barcelona and Real Madrid still want him with all this baggage? I think they'll still covet him and i think that would be a good get-out for Liverpool.

"I think this (transfer specualation) was going on in the background anyway so it might make life easier for (managing director) Ian Ayre, Brendan Rodgers and John Henry."

Could you bold where he says we should sell him please?

Offline boots

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Klopptimistic
« Reply #353 on: June 25, 2014, 04:28:08 pm »
How many of us have scythed our mates down in the park to the extent theyve had to take a week off work. Plenty I'll bet. Christ they'll be playing in dinner suits and dining in high society next. what what what what what. If anyone had bit our Tommy, theyd never've woken up. Turning into a right girlie game followed by pansies.

Offline GreenLaneRed27

• Kopite
« Reply #354 on: June 25, 2014, 04:28:17 pm »
Is there any possibility or caveats that would lead him to be banned for both Uruguay and Liverpool? Or will it be an international ban only?

Offline kennedy81

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #355 on: June 25, 2014, 04:28:37 pm »
Just wondering what Luis Suarez would have to do before people would say "OK - i think its time we let him go"

Last year, he fucked up - we all forgave him, "he wont do something like that again" - had probably his best season ever

But then he does it again! And whats to say he wouldnt bite someone again in the future?? :(

he got through last season without any major dramas, and I think he can get through next season as well.

he's well looked after at Liverpool, and if the manager and staff think they can get an incident free season out of him again, that'll do for me.

Offline PhaseOfPlay

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #356 on: June 25, 2014, 04:28:45 pm »

When he does something worth cashing in for, then we cash in. Until then, he trains and plays.

Offline MerseyParadise

• Kopite
  • Wool son of Scotty road 'arl fella
« Reply #357 on: June 25, 2014, 04:29:08 pm »
Everyone knew who Kevin Keegan was. And George Best. And Malcolm Allison. And Bobby Charlton. And Bobby Moore. They were no less celebrities then, than they are now.

Was Keegan's fight on the 10 o clock news? or the front page of the Mirror?
Insert obscure quote here

Offline boots

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Klopptimistic
« Reply #358 on: June 25, 2014, 04:29:30 pm »
Oh dear, didn't see the trawler, scooped right up.  :)

Actually eric is one of the few manc players i liked. He was nuts.

Offline PhaseOfPlay

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #359 on: June 25, 2014, 04:30:48 pm »
How many of us have scythed our mates down in the park to the extent theyve had to take a week off work. Plenty I'll bet. Christ they'll be playing in dinner suits and dining in high society next. what what what what what. If anyone had bit our Tommy, theyd never've woken up. Turning into a right girlie game followed by pansies.

Oi Oi Oi.

The women's game has harder tackles and less diving and whining than the men's game, I'll have you know.

I don't know many male players who will play on with a sprained wrist. But I know one female keeper who went through a whole penalty shoot out bar the first shot with a broken arm and nobody knew any better until 20 minutes after the game