Author Topic: Pep Guardiola at Bayern Munich  (Read 193792 times)

Offline child-in-time

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Re: Pep Guardiola at Bayern Munich
« Reply #1920 on: May 4, 2016, 10:01:09 pm »
Pep invented the treble? Joe Fagan says hi

Kovacs says hi ;)
We shall meet in the place where there is no darkness.

Offline deFacto please, you bastards

• Apologies if I haven't responded to every post in every thread yet, I'm trying hard. farKnow.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1921 on: May 4, 2016, 11:46:00 pm »
Agree. Prefer Heynckes team. So far Pep has had very, very good players at his disposal. He's made the team play possession-based football. Credit to him for that, but it's somehing you have to expect with such good players. Would be very interesting to see what he could do with a worse team. I think he'd have to adapt. So far he could have had the team play any type of game, but I think he's made them limited in style.
Also, it's interesting to see Barca after Pep has left. I think they are a better team now.

They have better attacking players now than they did before in comparison [I'm talking about Barca] but it no way shape or form is this side a better TeAM than the one that Pep had.

Alves-Puyol-Pique-Abidal for one is better than what they can currently put out [Alves at his prime and a better Pique] and their midfield was far more dominant than what it is right now. On top of that they won two trebles, Messi or no Messi, that is an impressive feat. If anything it's easier them to score now with Neymar and Suarez than it was back then with what they had. They've not achieved everything that side has and it remains to be seen if they can win another European cup.

Offline elsewhere

• Turning Japanese, I think I'm turning Japanese, I really think I mean African, so...
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1922 on: May 5, 2016, 01:35:01 am »
Pep Guardiola: I Have Given My Life For Bayern

Pep Guardiola leaves Bayern Munich losing in the semifinals of the Champions League in each of his three seasons.

Guardiola's success within Germany has been overwhelming but the inability to even reach a final in Europe will certainly temper his legacy with Bayern.

“It was my aim to achieve this,” Guardiola, who will join Manchester City in the summer, said. “At Barcelona, everyone asked me this question and it has been the same thing here. We have tried our best but it hasn’t worked out. In terms of my period here, it’s up to you what you want to think.

“I think I have helped the players here. I am very satisfied with the performances. Maybe it wasn’t enough but in the end, I am satisfied with everything that has happened here. Everything is good. I have done my best. The players know that.

“I have given my life for this club, from the first minute to the last and we played well tonight. Maybe we played not so well at other times. I am very proud. It was a real honour to train these players. I have really enjoyed it here and I am sure the future at Bayern Munich is perfect with these players.”

Bayern had ample opportunities in the match, particularly a missed penalty kick by Thomas Muller in the 34th minute.

“Titles are just numbers, statistics,” he said. “I wanted to reach the Champions League final here and I didn’t achieve it but it doesn’t change my opinion about the way I have performed. Yes, we are sad now and we want to go to Ingolstadt [on Saturday] to secure the Bundesliga title.

“Is this the biggest disappointment of my career? No. You are disappointed when you don’t play well. It’s a Champions League semi-final. It was the same when I was at Barcelona and we lost to Chelsea [in 2012]. We tried our best to score that night but we didn’t get through.
“Atlético were very defensive. We played to win and we did that. We didn’t score a goal in Madrid and that was the difference. We could have scored three or four tonight. My idea is to attack and go forward. The most important thing is this club has a great future, with great players and a great mentality. I just wish the best for the future at this club and I hope Carlo Ancelotti [the incoming manager] can keep the same level going.”

Offline Suareznumber7

• Gullible. Lost in the modern world, thinks all tweets are true.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1923 on: May 5, 2016, 02:56:23 am »
Understand this point of view. In particular the final sentences. Pep has his sides play the kind of football you'd expect from those who have massive resources. This is why I'd like to see what Peo would be like with an underdog side. Is he able to adapt, or does his quality as manager depend on having top class players? I'm beginning to think that it's the latter.

I would honestly put my life savings (it's really not that much) on Pep having the same exact philosophy no matter what side he managed, be it the best, most expensive, side in the world or a League 2 side without a pot to piss in. 

Offline Xxavi

• Qatari Minister Of Information
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #1924 on: May 5, 2016, 04:18:34 am »
I would honestly put my life savings (it's really not that much) on Pep having the same exact philosophy no matter what side he managed, be it the best, most expensive, side in the world or a League 2 side without a pot to piss in. 
I concur. He is not the type who will shore up defenses and go negative, he just doesn't believe in that football. His team will still try to dominate the game, whether that will bring him success remains to be seen. But Pep is one of very few coaches in world football whose hand is clearly visible when you watch his teams.

There are other successful coaches whose hands are not so clearly visible actually. There is no very clear recognizable style. Not sure how anybody can think of it as a good thing, to me, that just means that it's mostly players and not that particular coach who get the results.

Also, it was interesting to listen to Hargreaves, Lineker and Ferdinand discuss Pep's style of football. They were saying the now cliche things such as it doesn't always guarantee success, there other ways blah blah. Sure, is there ever just one style that guarantees success in every match every year? There is no such thing. The likes of G. Neville also cultivated this idea that counter attacking football is better than possession style whenever Pep's teams lost. There are tons of games when counter attacking bunkering teams lose, but apparently that does not necessarily mean that counter-attacking style is weak or garbage, yet, every time a possession-based team loses, it shows all the negatives of that style.

This is a strange view. And these days, it is also supported by stats, apparently some number of games are won by teams that have less possession. OK, but then there is another stats that shows whoever has more possession, they are more likely to win the game. All of these things are meaningless in the end as there is no one possession style (there is Pep's style and there is Van Gaal's style, for example), and there is no one counter attacking style (Mourinho's teams, Klopp's teams and Simeone's team are different). But unfortunately, you get this lengthy discussion of Pep's failings and the downsides of his footballing ideas any time his team loses. ManCity played an utterly ugly negative football vs Madrid, but the same pundits didn't spend 10 minutes discussing the shitty tactics of Pellegrini and Pellegrini's failings. Yesteryday was Pep's personal failure, today, coaches are not discussed at all.
« Last Edit: May 5, 2016, 04:20:42 am by Xxavi »

Offline Redcap

• Legacy Fan
  • You wrote a bad song Petey!
« Reply #1925 on: May 5, 2016, 07:06:48 am »
What I like about Pep is that he clearly represents the best of positive football. Say what you like about his available resources, but what he aims to do with those available resources is to build the best possible team that wins games in the most positive, progressive ways possible. It's not defensive football, but defense is never a weakness of his teams. You'll almost never see one of his teams getting poleaxed 4-0 in the same way that say, Pellegrini's City might. I think Pep is almost a travelling laboratory of what's possible in football with the best of circumstances. He's constantly trying to improve tactically, and I think he's not the same manager now that he was in Spain. I think he'll be different again at City to respond to the players he'll be able to attract, and the demands of the PL.

But people that want to see what he'll do with an underdog side, will be disappointed. I don't think Pep is necessarily interested (at least not at this stage) in what it's like to work with a side with constrained resources. The challenge for him is not to overachieve with less, but to push the boundaries of what's achievable when you have everything you need.

Offline YayaP

• Is John McEnroe.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Kopite
« Reply #1926 on: May 5, 2016, 07:21:12 am »
You'll almost never see one of his teams getting poleaxed 4-0 in the same way that say, Pellegrini's City might.

If we're being completely fair, though, in two of his biggest games at Munich they were shellacked 4-0, 3-0.
"I belong to a special club, I live with special people, this is a privilege, this is pure happiness." -Gerard Houllier

“When they start talking and talking about us, it shows they are worried about playing Liverpool,” - Rafa Benitez

Offline harleydanger

• 7/2=3. Proud holder of shittest ideas badge.
  • Legacy Fan
  • If I sound stupid, I'm probably casting a line
« Reply #1927 on: May 5, 2016, 07:28:34 am »
I concur. He is not the type who will shore up defenses and go negative, he just doesn't believe in that football. His team will still try to dominate the game, whether that will bring him success remains to be seen. But Pep is one of very few coaches in world football whose hand is clearly visible when you watch his teams.

There are other successful coaches whose hands are not so clearly visible actually. There is no very clear recognizable style. Not sure how anybody can think of it as a good thing, to me, that just means that it's mostly players and not that particular coach who get the results.

Well not really, a coach comes in and looks at the players he has, and what he can do with them. Raineri recognised he had speed up front and an organisable, if slow defence equals counter attack.

To me, tactical styles come in and out of fashion, a truly great manager is able to look at his squad and instantly recognise what style is most suitable. They have no identity to imprint, as they've advanced from dogma.
WHAT A TIME TO BE ALIVE!

Normally a player can look great on tubes, but one of the things that's encouraging for me is just the amount of youtube videos on him

Offline Vinay

• West Coast privileges revoked due to jinxing activity. Considerably more greedier than yaow!
  • Legacy Fan
  • Ceux qui écrivent clairement ont des lecteurs.....
« Reply #1928 on: May 5, 2016, 08:45:40 am »
Would you honestly put your life savings, if it were a huge fortune, on Pep having the same exact philosophy if he were managing an average, cash strapped side (eg Aston Villa)?

Offline child-in-time

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1929 on: May 5, 2016, 09:07:34 am »
I dont think Pep will suddenly turn into a defensive-minded coach if he was to manage a smaller club but he will definitely not be as successful. The gulf in quality between Bayern/Barca and Villa is too much to expect wonders of him but he wont park the bus and play counter-attacking football, thats for sure.
We shall meet in the place where there is no darkness.

Offline Dowling10

• Busted
  • Legacy Fan
  • Scousers rule the country.
« Reply #1930 on: May 5, 2016, 09:52:14 am »
What I like about Pep is that he clearly represents the best of positive football. Say what you like about his available resources, but what he aims to do with those available resources is to build the best possible team that wins games in the most positive, progressive ways possible. It's not defensive football, but defense is never a weakness of his teams. You'll almost never see one of his teams getting poleaxed 4-0 in the same way that say, Pellegrini's City might. I think Pep is almost a travelling laboratory of what's possible in football with the best of circumstances. He's constantly trying to improve tactically, and I think he's not the same manager now that he was in Spain. I think he'll be different again at City to respond to the players he'll be able to attract, and the demands of the PL.

But people that want to see what he'll do with an underdog side, will be disappointed. I don't think Pep is necessarily interested (at least not at this stage) in what it's like to work with a side with constrained resources. The challenge for him is not to overachieve with less, but to push the boundaries of what's achievable when you have everything you need.

That's a good post. I think I'd agree with that.

Offline _00_deathscar

• Has a quite operational deflecsor shield.....
  • Legacy Fan
  • You'll Never Walk Alone
    • The Suite Life by Chinmoy Lad
« Reply #1931 on: May 5, 2016, 10:22:19 am »

Haven't his sides been beaten 4-0 a few times in the Champions League?
All things luxury travel. Be inspired for your next trip: https://www.thesuitelife.com.hk

Offline MOZ

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1932 on: May 5, 2016, 11:21:15 am »
Haven't his sides been beaten 4-0 a few times in the Champions League?

Conceded 4 once in the CL (Real Madrid), once in the league (Wolfsburg) and once in the Super Cup (Borussia Dortmund).

Offline Suareznumber7

• Gullible. Lost in the modern world, thinks all tweets are true.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1933 on: May 5, 2016, 01:58:04 pm »
Would you honestly put your life savings, if it were a huge fortune, on Pep having the same exact philosophy if he were managing an average, cash strapped side (eg Aston Villa)?

Yes, absolutely. 

Offline Redcap

• Legacy Fan
  • You wrote a bad song Petey!
« Reply #1934 on: May 6, 2016, 01:49:17 am »
Conceded 4 once in the CL (Real Madrid), once in the league (Wolfsburg) and once in the Super Cup (Borussia Dortmund).

It's true. Against the best teams that have the ability to kill them on the counter, they've been put to the sword a couple of times. But I think that goes with the territory when you're Pep Guardiola. He's not a game manager, that recognizes the risks of playing his way against teams like Real and sets up his team to grind out a cagey away-goals win accordingly.

Offline PIPA23

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1935 on: May 6, 2016, 04:40:53 am »
imo there is a big chance Ancelotti will win CL with Bayern :)

Offline Vinay

• West Coast privileges revoked due to jinxing activity. Considerably more greedier than yaow!
  • Legacy Fan
  • Ceux qui écrivent clairement ont des lecteurs.....
« Reply #1936 on: May 6, 2016, 09:49:02 am »
imo there is a big chance Ancelotti will win CL with Bayern :)
IM there is a big chance Klopp will win the CL with Liverpool....
And then Pep and probably Simeone too. So that's the CL finals in 2017, 2018 and 2019 wrapped up for you.

Offline slamjam

• Anny Roader
« Reply #1937 on: May 6, 2016, 10:02:22 am »
And then Pep and probably Simeone too. So that's the CL finals in 2017, 2018 and 2019 wrapped up for you.
So would klopp become first man to win 3 on bounce

Offline drmick

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1938 on: May 6, 2016, 10:24:04 am »

Well, I think Simeone will bag one in 2016.

I think Pep and City will struggle next season.

Offline Redman0151

• Stills and Nash Warloch
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1939 on: May 6, 2016, 07:18:59 pm »
Looks like Guardiola threw his toys out the pram and has been having a go at the Medical team

http://www.sportskeeda.com/football/bayern-munichs-medical-team-criticised-pep-guardiola

He's talking about a dressing room mole too

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/36230554

Seems a weird bloke
"I would say we certainly have the resources to compete with anybody in football." Tom Werner 12/04/2012

Offline Sir Psycho Sexy

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1940 on: May 6, 2016, 07:21:38 pm »
this isn't the first time he's had a go at bayern's med staff
I would honestly let Wijnaldum jizz in my face right now

Offline CraigDS

• Lite. Smelt it and dealt it. Worrawhopper.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #1941 on: May 6, 2016, 07:21:53 pm »
Is this the first time in his managerial career things haven't really been all rosey?

Gonna be interesting next season to see how he comes across when he isn't winning 90% of games at a canter likes he's had the team/players to do since he started being a manager, as I can't see that being the case at City even if they go and spend big.

Offline Sir Psycho Sexy

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1942 on: May 6, 2016, 07:24:40 pm »
He'll probably start criticising Dortmund's med staff now that City's main transfer target Gundogan is out with a serious knee injury
I would honestly let Wijnaldum jizz in my face right now

Offline jillcwhomever

• Finding Brian hard to swallow. Definitely not Paula Nancy MIllstone Jennings of 37 Wasp Villas, Greenbridge, Essex, GB10 1LL. Or maybe. Who knows.....Finds it hard to choose between Jürgen's wurst and Fat Sam's sausage.
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • "I'm surprised they didn't charge me rent"
« Reply #1943 on: May 6, 2016, 07:31:05 pm »
Looks like Guardiola threw his toys out the pram and has been having a go at the Medical team

http://www.sportskeeda.com/football/bayern-munichs-medical-team-criticised-pep-guardiola

He's talking about a dressing room mole too

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/36230554

Seems a weird bloke

I can understand him being annoyed about the mole. It used to annoy me that our teams were announced, a day before a game. It is disrespectful and it kind of makes me laugh when players complain when they are a victim of the same thing.

"He's trying to get right away from football. I believe he went to Everton"

Offline SamAteTheRedAcid

• Currently facing issues around potty training. All help appreciated.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1944 on: May 6, 2016, 07:40:11 pm »
this isn't the first time he's had a go at bayern's med staff

I'm sure it's not the first time he's been on about a mole in the dressing room either. Sounds like paranoia, he wants to put down the bong ;D
get thee to the library before the c*nts close it down

we are a bunch of twats commenting on a website.

Offline Port_vale_lad

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1945 on: May 6, 2016, 07:47:26 pm »
I don't get pep at all.

He it the jackpot with barca, went to the best team in Germany and threw the most money at the best squad and lauded as one of the best managers of all time.

If he wins the league with the same players as city have now Id have a lot more respect for the guy but he will come in and spend 1/2 a billion more than anyone else and have everyone worshipping his ringpiece again if he wins the league

Offline Doc Red

• Chills before posting and wishes others had too
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • The eye cannot see what the mind does not know.
« Reply #1946 on: May 6, 2016, 08:45:08 pm »
I don't get pep at all.

He it the jackpot with barca, went to the best team in Germany and threw the most money at the best squad and lauded as one of the best managers of all time.

If he wins the league with the same players as city have now Id have a lot more respect for the guy but he will come in and spend 1/2 a billion more than anyone else and have everyone worshipping his ringpiece again if he wins the league

Not only did he join a team that had just won the treble, during the period of his time there they also snatched arguably the two best players off their biggest league rival.
I'm sorry, but not winning a league title with Bayern during any of his 3 seasons would have amounted to one of the biggest upsets in football.

Dortmund have done well to recover, but as long as Bayern consistently strengthen their squad via the free signing of the best players in Dortmund (simultaneously weakening their opponents and strengthening their squad whilst also preventing Dortmund from cashing in and enabling Bayern to free up more cash) it's akin to a one handed man hanging off a cliff with itchy armpits. It's just not going to end well.

He's going to come and bring in major transfers. But I'll be interested to see how he copes with English football. Not just the intense aspect of it, but the fact teams have no issues with parking a bus and daring teams to score, whilst also featuring an attack solely based on dead ball situations.
The child who is not embraced by the village will burn it down to feel its warmth.
There go my people. I must follow them, for I am their leader.

Offline Redman0151

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1947 on: May 6, 2016, 08:47:27 pm »
Not only did he join a team that had just won the treble, during the period of his time there they also snatched arguably the two best players off their biggest league rival.
I'm sorry, but not winning a league title with Bayern during any of his 3 seasons would have amounted to one of the biggest upsets in football.

Dortmund have done well to recover, but as long as Bayern consistently strengthen their squad via the free signing of the best players in Dortmund (simultaneously weakening their opponents and strengthening their squad whilst also preventing Dortmund from cashing in and enabling Bayern to free up more cash) it's akin to a one handed man hanging off a cliff with itchy armpits. It's just not going to end well.

He's going to come and bring in major transfers. But I'll be interested to see how he copes with English football. Not just the intense aspect of it, but the fact teams have no issues with parking a bus and daring teams to score, whilst also featuring an attack solely based on dead ball situations.

He's gonna get absolutely beasted by Tony Pulis and the fallout will be great, footy hipsters tearing their hair out the world over
"I would say we certainly have the resources to compete with anybody in football." Tom Werner 12/04/2012

Offline Doc Red

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1948 on: May 6, 2016, 08:51:39 pm »
If he really did blame the med staff for Bayern's failure to reach the final, or even attempt to imply something like that, than he's more like Mourinho than I thought.
He's already started the whole "mole" conspiracy ala Mourinho.
I think people are going to be surprised when they get to see more of Pep in England. And it won't be a pleasant one.
I look forward to seeing his interviews when City lose a game they deserved to win, or lose against a top rival.
The child who is not embraced by the village will burn it down to feel its warmth.

Offline classycarra

• The Left Disonourable Chuntering Member For Scousepool.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1949 on: May 6, 2016, 09:29:26 pm »
to be fair to guardiola, and in keeping with hipster tradition, he did the whole 'scapegoat/have a go at the silent defenceless medical staff' routine before it was cool

now you may argue that mourinho didn't make it cool, but i'd disagree - can't help but feel all things mourinho are at an all time high personally

Offline Xxavi

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1950 on: May 7, 2016, 05:15:10 am »
I'm sure it's not the first time he's been on about a mole in the dressing room either. Sounds like paranoia, he wants to put down the bong ;D
It does sound like he is losing his cool, but the mole thing seems to be real. Otherwise, how do you explain the fact that the dressing room stories are leaked to the press the next day?

It's a poor form from some players, but I guess there are quite a few who are unhappy that they are constantly on the bench. I'd normally suspect these.

Offline Xxavi

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1951 on: May 7, 2016, 05:19:08 am »
I don't know if the agreement was already reached, but it seems Gundogan got injured again. This will be another headache if it was Pep's plan to make Gundogan his midfield general. Not many great candidates for that role out there, and I thought Gundogan was one of the very top ones. I like and rate Fernandinho, but they have to have at least 2 more players for midfield. Fernando is a bench player, Toure should be sent to retirement home.

Offline Historical Fool

• A fool in the present too. The ban on drivel from 666 has led to a remarkable increase in forum quality. Currently being spectacularly wooshed. Seemingly by, well, just about everything.....
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • FSG EOTM June ‘23
    • Fenway Sports Group
« Reply #1952 on: May 7, 2016, 05:38:19 am »
I can understand him being annoyed about the mole. It used to annoy me that our teams were announced, a day before a game. It is disrespectful and it kind of makes me laugh when players complain when they are a victim of the same thing.

I remember there was some talk it was Coutinho, and the leaks stopped after Coutinho signed his new contract
You're all too fucking serious, the lot of you. Relax, we don't really matter.

Oh, and we should have an in's and out's topic, stickied.

Offline BeautifulGame91

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1953 on: May 7, 2016, 06:58:22 am »
I remember there was some talk it was Coutinho, and the leaks stopped after Coutinho signed his new contract
Coutinho signed his contract extension early last year the leaks continued till when Rodger's was sacked and even into the first few games when Klopp was in charge .

Offline Redman0151

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1954 on: May 7, 2016, 09:14:45 am »
I don't know why people automatically assume it's the players. There's a lot of staff around a football club

Offline Doc Red

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1955 on: May 7, 2016, 10:08:42 am »
I don't know why people automatically assume it's the players. There's a lot of staff around a football club
My thoughts exactly.

Offline afc tukrish

• How long for them sausages? Maggie May's Mythical Turkish Delight. RAWK's Expert Sausage Monster! Oakley Cannonier is fucking boss. Likes blowing his friends and undoing their nuts? Who nose?!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • This looks like a nice spot...
    • Flat Back Four
« Reply #1956 on: May 7, 2016, 12:04:48 pm »

One of the tea ladies who isn't on the tea sheet?
Since haste quite Schorsch, but Liverpool are genuine fight pigs...

Offline rafathegaffa83

• Legacy Fan
  • Dutch Class
« Reply #1957 on: May 7, 2016, 12:11:15 pm »

Yeah, for me, there's a good chance it's one of the staff. In Guardiola's case, I think you cannot continually critique staff in that manner without something coming out at such a high-profile club.

Offline Xxavi

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1958 on: May 7, 2016, 06:54:41 pm »
Happy that Pep won Bundesliga. It seems like it is a competition that nobody respects even in Germany, neither journos nor fans, but you cannot argue with 6 league titles in 7 years record.

The now grossly overhyped Heynckess won 3 league titles in 34 years, managing some of the top clubs in the land. Similarly, Ancelotti could only win 3 league titles in 20 years. But hey-ho, nobody seems to give a shit about Bundesliga titles. So I am very happy Pep is moving to England, where ManCity's league title wins would mean something.

Offline BeautifulGame91

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1959 on: May 7, 2016, 07:02:34 pm »
Happy that Pep won Bundesliga. It seems like it is a competition that nobody respects even in Germany, neither journos nor fans, but you cannot argue with 6 league titles in 7 years record.

The now grossly overhyped Heynckess won 3 league titles in 34 years, managing some of the top clubs in the land. Similarly, Ancelotti could only win 3 league titles in 20 years. But hey-ho, nobody seems to give a shit about Bundesliga titles. So I am very happy Pep is moving to England, where ManCity's league title wins would mean something.
That bitterness is Everton level :lmao