Author Topic: Pep Guardiola at Bayern Munich  (Read 193789 times)

Online Historical Fool

• A fool in the present too. The ban on drivel from 666 has led to a remarkable increase in forum quality. Currently being spectacularly wooshed. Seemingly by, well, just about everything.....
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • FSG EOTM June ‘23
    • Fenway Sports Group
Re: Pep Guardiola at Bayern Munich
« Reply #1640 on: January 6, 2016, 02:25:52 am »
No I don't think that. I think they joined because we paid them well but also because they were also offered a compelling vision of where the club was going.

And last I looked, a billionaire does own Sunderland, one owns Villa and another owns Newcastle. They're also the 7th, 5th and 8th biggest spenders respectively since the PL started in 1992 and the first two are the 5th and 6th biggest spending clubs since 2003, only behind us, Chelsea, you and United. And both will be playing in the Championship next season in all probability. So it's not that easy really.

Well played.
You're all too fucking serious, the lot of you. Relax, we don't really matter.

Oh, and we should have an in's and out's topic, stickied.

Offline thisyearisouryear

• Need a dose of Hopium
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1641 on: January 6, 2016, 08:42:47 am »
Pep would be a success at City. It might not be a domination like Bayern, but without a doubt Pep at City would immediately make them the strongest side in England.

Online The North Bank

• Can even make the sun shine in Manchester - once in a blue moon...
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #1642 on: January 6, 2016, 08:56:07 am »
No I don't think that. I think they joined because we paid them well but also because they were also offered a compelling vision of where the club was going.

And last I looked, a billionaire does own Sunderland, one owns Villa and another owns Newcastle. They're also the 7th, 5th and 8th biggest spenders respectively since the PL started in 1992 and the first two are the 5th and 6th biggest spending clubs since 2003, only behind us, Chelsea, you and United. And both will be playing in the Championship next season in all probability. So it's not that easy really.

Agree about the vision, everywhere they looked, they saw ££££££ signs.
I think Pep is a top manager and City will suit him in that he can do exactly what he wants, there is no past tradition he needs to adhere to. You won't get Shaun Goater coming out in the press saying this isn't the city way.

Offline FinnanTastic

• Anny Roader
« Reply #1643 on: January 6, 2016, 09:28:01 am »

So when was the last time you won the league before the oil money ? when was Chelsea's last league before the Russian money , PSG hadnt won ligue one for 20 years before they were bank rolled, or is there another secret to the recent success's ? your current transfer record is -924 million  euro, Sunderlands is -239 million almost 700 million less. Its because of these high inflated wages and transfer fees , that teams with limited investment try and match these clubs valuations and thats why the current football fan is being priced out of the game.
« Last Edit: January 6, 2016, 09:33:14 am by FinnanTastic »

Offline MOZ

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1644 on: January 6, 2016, 09:36:44 am »
I'm not looking forward to Pep going to England.

Mainly because it will mean having to listen to shit pundits and commentators use the phrase "tippy-tappy" every fucking week.

Offline Coolie High

• bury Regular. My opinions are facts, FYI. (whisper it but doesn't understand midfielders)
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1645 on: January 6, 2016, 09:59:44 am »
This is why this period of the last 3 years was key in terms of us finally winning the league, Guardiola comes this year, Simeone maybe the next to two clubs financially stronger than us, nothing guaranteed for us even with one of the best managers in the world, but it pretty much is for them if those names come in.

Should only make the league better though.

Offline Golden_Child

• I...I...I...Iwanttheknife......oh, serious mode? Okay. Ommmm. Give me the kniiiiiife. Ommmm. Pleeeaaaase!
  • Legacy Fan
  • Credulity is not a virtue
« Reply #1646 on: January 6, 2016, 10:05:51 am »
I reckon peps knob must be red raw after the months long blowie he's been getting from Xxavi.

Done well, good record (with two of the biggest clubs in the galaxy) but having seen some of the aforementioned posters posts about pep it's kinda hilarious that he's now apparently the reincarnation of jesus/vishu/mohammed/moses/thor/stallone.

Bring the twat on at city, I'd happily back klopp over the tit

Offline cornelius

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • "Beware the beast man, for he is the Devil's pawn"
« Reply #1647 on: January 6, 2016, 10:07:03 am »
Am I the only person who thinks Pep came across as a bit cunty yesterday?

Offline El Lobo

• Chief Suck Up. Feel his breath on your face. Toxic, pathetic, arse-faced, weaselling slimeball. RAWK Maths Genius 2022.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Pretty, pretty, pretty pretty good
« Reply #1648 on: January 6, 2016, 10:14:22 am »
Good grief this is nauseating. He's a top manager, agreed. But fucking hell, everyone might as well go home because whatever club he does join will become utterly unbeatable? He dominated in Spain with Messi, Xavi and Iniesta. And he's dominated in Germany in a one team league where he's able to pick and choose practically any player he wants from a rival? Quelle surprise.

If he joins United, he has to pretty much start from scratch. If he joins Chelsea or City, their plastic fans will give him about a season to win the CL as they tend to with most managers, and then pray for the next 'top manager' to come in. Probably Mourinho again if he does alright in his next job, or Simeone. Or Blanc if he wins the CL.
If he's being asked to head the ball too frequently - which isn't exactly his specialty - it could affect his ear and cause an infection. Especially if the ball hits him on the ear directly.

Offline clinical

• incision required - a bad case of an urgent rawkectomy? "And of course I've got this terrible pain in all the diodes down my left side."
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1649 on: January 6, 2016, 10:28:04 am »
As long as he doesn't take Gundogan away from us then he can go wherever he wants.
Thank Fowler we're not getting Caulker

Offline Golden_Child

• I...I...I...Iwanttheknife......oh, serious mode? Okay. Ommmm. Give me the kniiiiiife. Ommmm. Pleeeaaaase!
  • Legacy Fan
  • Credulity is not a virtue
« Reply #1650 on: January 6, 2016, 10:33:59 am »
Am I the only person who thinks Pep came across as a bit cunty yesterday?

Nope. Total egotist with no respect for his fellow managers

Offline BarryCrocker

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1651 on: January 6, 2016, 10:36:09 am »
Can't wait till he comes to the PL and people can move on from the 'football didn't exist before Sky' bullshit and replace it with Pep.  ::)

And all the world is football shaped, It's just for me to kick in space. And I can see, hear, smell, touch, taste.

Offline clinical

• incision required - a bad case of an urgent rawkectomy? "And of course I've got this terrible pain in all the diodes down my left side."
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1652 on: January 6, 2016, 10:47:49 am »
So he will come to champions (most probably). Just like he did in Spain and Germany before. Yes he's good at a top club. But for me a top top manager is someone who can take a good side and make them into a great side.

He calls it a challenge. It's no challenge when you can buy whoever you want.

Hope he fails miserably

Offline lionel_messias

• likes pulling cocker spaniels out of Kim Kardassian's ass
  • Legacy Fan
  • 'You can throw your plan in the purple bin'
« Reply #1653 on: January 6, 2016, 10:49:35 am »
So he will come to champions (most probably). Just like he did in Spain and Germany before. Yes he's good at a top club. But for me a top top manager is someone who can take a good side and make them into a great side.

Hope he fails miserably

No I don't believe he is going to Arsenal?
Follow me on twatter: @JDMessias

Offline Hij

• Literally Custom-titlely neglected for literally over a decade, Ruud.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Justice for Anne Williams. Justice for the 97.
    • Grime Forum
« Reply #1654 on: January 6, 2016, 10:51:29 am »
Can't wait till he comes to the PL and people can move on from the 'football didn't exist before Sky' bullshit and replace it with Pep.  ::)

huh
Justice for Anne Williams. Justice for the 97. Justice for the Survivors.

Istanbul 2005. Athens 2007. Basel 2016. Kiev 2018. Madrid 2019. Paris 2022.

Offline clinical

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1655 on: January 6, 2016, 10:51:47 am »
No I don't believe he is going to Arsenal?

City will win it. Arsenal will bottle it once again, you watch.

Offline Sir Psycho Sexy

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1656 on: January 6, 2016, 10:52:09 am »

Hope he fails miserably
Barca weren't the champions when he took over
I would honestly let Wijnaldum jizz in my face right now

Offline clinical

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1657 on: January 6, 2016, 10:55:30 am »
Barca weren't the champions when he took over

Whatever, he still took over when they had the Worlds best players and incredible squad.

Offline El Lobo

• Chief Suck Up. Feel his breath on your face. Toxic, pathetic, arse-faced, weaselling slimeball. RAWK Maths Genius 2022.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1658 on: January 6, 2016, 10:59:19 am »
Whatever, he still took over when they had the Worlds best players and incredible squad.

Yeah but he created all those players dontcha know
If he's being asked to head the ball too frequently - which isn't exactly his specialty - it could affect his ear and cause an infection. Especially if the ball hits him on the ear directly.

Offline b_joseph

• b_jesus, b_mary, b_joseph and the wee b_donkey. Unloyal gloryhunter who was probably Kelly Osbourne in another life.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1659 on: January 6, 2016, 11:02:33 am »
Since Laporta, the worst season they have had was the season before Pep. Going from that, to what they became almost immediately, in your first big job, was remarkable.
One thing to make a great side...a completely different thing to revolutionise the game.

Sure, the tools help, the tools always help. But we dont have to look far to find teams with wonderful players and zero team success on the biggest stage.
« Last Edit: January 6, 2016, 11:04:36 am by b_joseph »

Offline Sir Psycho Sexy

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1660 on: January 6, 2016, 11:03:47 am »
It would've been pretty easy to have kept Ronaldinho, Deco, Zambrotta in the squad and try and fit them into his plan. He risked seriously pissing off a lot of people letting them go and if he had failed, he would have been massively criticised for allowing them to leave. Yeah, he had Iniesta, Xavi and Messi. he also developed a way of playing that got the best out of them.

Though, I would have liked to see what he would have done if he'd stayed at barca long term and had to find new players. Then again. Thiago Alcantara was already there to replace Xavi and Iniesta is still going strong. Neymar probably would have still went there.

Anyway, it's not as simple as what a lot of people said back then, which is that a few monkeys could have had that squad and done well. Other coaches might have succeeded, but I doubt they would have made Barca as dominant as they were

Offline clinical

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1661 on: January 6, 2016, 11:05:28 am »
Since Laporta, the worst season they have had was the season before Pep. Going from that, to what they became almost immediately, in your first big job, was remarkable.

Sure, the tools help, the tools always help. But we dont have to look far to find teams with wonderful players and zero team success on the biggest stage.

Look I'm not saying he isn't a great manager. But for me to be considered a true world class manager he'll have to go to a team that isn't the biggest pull in the league. Barca Bayern and now City can get any player they want.

Offline cornelius

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1662 on: January 6, 2016, 11:11:39 am »
Nope. Total egotist with no respect for his fellow managers
I can only imagine the reaction on here if a manager of ours was sat there in a presser talking about his ambitions of living and managing somewhere else. We'd bomb him out by the end of the week no matter who it was.

Offline b_joseph

• b_jesus, b_mary, b_joseph and the wee b_donkey. Unloyal gloryhunter who was probably Kelly Osbourne in another life.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1663 on: January 6, 2016, 11:12:10 am »
Look I'm not saying he isn't a great manager. But for me to be considered a true world class manager he'll have to go to a team that isn't the biggest pull in the league. Barca Bayern and now City can get any player they want.
By that line of thinking, Paisley would not be considered a great Coach. Or Ancelotti.

Offline ManchesterBlue

• Hologram fan with digital flag 'full members cup runners up 1986'.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Blue Moon, you saw me standing alone
« Reply #1664 on: January 6, 2016, 11:14:05 am »
So when was the last time you won the league before the oil money ? when was Chelsea's last league before the Russian money , PSG hadnt won ligue one for 20 years before they were bank rolled, or is there another secret to the recent success's ? your current transfer record is -924 million  euro, Sunderlands is -239 million almost 700 million less. Its because of these high inflated wages and transfer fees , that teams with limited investment try and match these clubs valuations and thats why the current football fan is being priced out of the game.
When was the last time that any club that didn't have one of the most expensive and highest paid squads won the league? Forest in 1977? Villa in 1981?

The financial arms race in football is as old as the game itself. The first £1,000 player, the first £100,000 player, the first £1m player, etc. Wages have been going up since the abolition of the maximum wage in 1961 and Liverpool were the first club to pay a player (John Barnes) £10k a week. Sol Campbell was probably the first to get £100k a week when he moved to Arsenal.

In 1981, the revenue sharing arrangement was ended and clubs were allowed to keep all their gate receipts instead of handing over 25% to the visiting club. Clearly that favoured the bigger, better supported clubs and those clubs dominated from then, until people like Jack Walker, Matthew Harding/Roman Abramovich and Sheikh Mansour came along.

In 1988, the ITV deal that Greg Dyke put together was weighted very heavily towards the same clubs who had demanded the end of the revenue sharing agreement. Clubs were paid for the games that were televised and it was Arsenal, Liverpool, United who got the lion's share of that. Those same clubs were among the architects of the Premier League, which, together with the Taylor Report, saw clubs starting to price out what they saw as the less desirable elements among their support in favour of a better-heeled, more middle class fan base. The expansion of the Champions League, whereby a team who finished 4th in the PL, 20 points behind the winners, could share in the significant revenues from that competition and stay ahead of the team that finished 5th increased the divide between the cartel and the rest.

All of these things happened well before our takeover in 2008 you know so please spare me the self-righteous whingeing and at least have the decency to acknowledge the fact that you had a not inconsiderable role in creating the monster that football has become today.

And, to get back on topic, even then there's no guarantee that Guardiola will dominate the PL. As Jurgen Klopp is finding out, it's a lot more competitive than the other top European leagues, with the possible exception of Serie A. And even if he does, people will say "Well, so he should with the money they've spent". Which conveniently ignores the fact that teams like Leicester, Palace and even Spurs are up there while Chelsea aren't.
« Last Edit: January 6, 2016, 11:18:26 am by ManchesterBlue »

Offline 007.lankyguy

• Subject of a restraining order by a regular member of the HIGNFY crew. Hasn't got a clue when Liverpool play next. Fully stopped.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1665 on: January 6, 2016, 11:16:02 am »
By that line of thinking, Paisley would not be considered a great Coach. Or Ancelotti.
Or Mourinho
"Mind you, I've been here during the bad times too - one year we came second." Sir Bob

Offline 007.lankyguy

• Subject of a restraining order by a regular member of the HIGNFY crew. Hasn't got a clue when Liverpool play next. Fully stopped.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1666 on: January 6, 2016, 11:16:59 am »
I can only imagine the reaction on here if a manager of ours was sat there in a presser talking about his ambitions of living and managing somewhere else. We'd bomb him out by the end of the week no matter who it was.
Difference is that it's already been announced that Guardiola's leaving at the end of the season and Ancelotti's joining. He hasn't just randomly started mentioning he wants to coach elsewhere.
"Mind you, I've been here during the bad times too - one year we came second." Sir Bob

Offline El Lobo

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1667 on: January 6, 2016, 11:20:17 am »
Oh god who the fuck set him off on the 'Man City are just doing what Aston Villa did in 1995' rant again? :(

Offline cornelius

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1668 on: January 6, 2016, 11:27:44 am »
Difference is that it's already been announced that Guardiola's leaving at the end of the season and Ancelotti's joining. He hasn't just randomly started mentioning he wants to coach elsewhere.
No and I take the point but it still leaves a bitter taste in the mouth. They should have kept it under wraps/denied speculation until the end of the season. Does he need to come out and say some of the stuff he said yesterday while he is still Bayern's manager? We'd be totally up in arms no matter what the circumstances.

And he doesn't exactly sell himself as someone who is particularly classy or committed. Sure every two bob billionaire club is falling over their own jizz to land the guy but he just comes across as a massive whore for hire.

Some things are just left better unsaid.

Offline ManchesterBlue

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1669 on: January 6, 2016, 11:27:45 am »
Oh god who the fuck set him off on the 'Man City are just doing what Aston Villa did in 1995' rant again? :(
Need to get it off my chest every now and again. I was actually going to say, which completely slipped my mind, was that it will be interesting to see what happens (if he does come to City) with the front players. His football is based on winning back possession of the ball as quickly as possible but players like Aguero, Silva, De Bruyne, Sterling and Toure all like to have the ball at their feet but are less keen on winning it back when they lose it.

Offline BigAl24

• Would rather take one from the whole team than from just one billy goat.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1670 on: January 6, 2016, 12:33:06 pm »
Sky Sports News HQ ‏@SkySportsNewsHQ 3h3 hours ago

Guardiola: 'I've had some offers from England but I haven't signed anything yet'

It's incredibly poor form, and Pellegrini, who is a total gentleman, doesn't deserve shit like that publicly adding more pressure to him

In fairness, he could quite conceivably mean Swansea and Chelsea... Teams without permanent managers.
"We change from doubters to believers. Now"

Offline BigAl24

• Would rather take one from the whole team than from just one billy goat.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1671 on: January 6, 2016, 12:35:35 pm »
Honestly think Pep will struggle in the premiership

He's the best manager on the planet. Not a chance.
"We change from doubters to believers. Now"

Offline Sir Psycho Sexy

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1672 on: January 6, 2016, 12:35:54 pm »
I think there's a bit of an over reaction in here and that's coming from someone who sees Guardiola as a bit of an arrogant knob. It was already put out by Bayern themselves that he was probably going to be leaving and that Ancelotti would be coming in. Pellegrini isn't stupid, he knows the deal as well. Guardiola saying he has offers from England doesn't change anything.

Offline ManchesterBlue

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1673 on: January 6, 2016, 01:56:46 pm »
Sky Sports News HQ ‏@SkySportsNewsHQ 3h3 hours ago

Guardiola: 'I've had some offers from England but I haven't signed anything yet'

It's incredibly poor form, and Pellegrini, who is a total gentleman, doesn't deserve shit like that publicly adding more pressure to him
Well it's not poor form if you understand our owners' way of working. In fact it's entirely consistent. Until the morning of Sep 1st 2008, there was no hint of what was happening as the whole takeover was done incredibly quietly with no leaks at all.  When Xi Jinping visited the CFA recently, no one was remotely aware that the reason was the Chinese investment in the City Football Group, even though those negotiations had been going on for 6 months.

Your worst nightmares might even have come to pass, as ADUG were talking to Everton up to the point that they quibbled about the non-disclosure agreements they were required to sign before any material discussion could take place. Discretion is a huge part of anything they do, which is why City or Pep wil say nothing until the time is deemed to be right. That may be when the contract is signed, when City and Bayern can't play each other in the CL or at the end of the season.

In both the previous managerial sackings, the news was leaked by a third party when the plan was to carry on with the incumbent until the end of the season before relieving them of their duties. In Hughes' case that point was still over 4 months away but in his case, he was the one who forced the issue I believe and therefore brought on his subsequent, premature departure. In Mancini's case, I understand Barcelona had spoken to him and were told that he was coming to us, which allowed them the opportunity to cause a bit of mischief by leaking the news. So this time, I bet that Pep has been told to say nothing to Bayern about his destination, although they may strongly suspect where it is.

However Bayern Munich are a third-party (as far as Pep and City are concerned) and I doubt they would agree to be bound by any NDA or other confidentiality clause, as there's no contract between them and City. Their primary concern is to re-assure their fans that the situation is in hand and that there is a plan for the post-Pep era. They've done that, so we know one side of the story but not the other. I suspect that they feel that (assuming there is any news to release) they will have weighed up the pros and cons of keeping schtum for as long as possible as opposed to the potential loss of face for Pellegrini if the news is announced too soon. Pellegrini should have been leaving in the summer anyway and I'm sure the situation was explained to him when his 1-year extension was discussed.

So it's quite possible that by doing it this way, they believe they're doing the right thing by Pellegrini. You may not agree (and I can understand why) but we're dealing with a different mind-set here.

Offline *

• Friend of Obelisk.
  • Anny Roader
« Reply #1674 on: January 6, 2016, 02:06:11 pm »
So Pep is being classless by openly talking about having offers from england without actually naming any club?

But how is that different from Rafa talking non-stop about the Chelsea job when di Matteo was still in charge?

Offline child-in-time

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1675 on: January 6, 2016, 02:19:05 pm »
So Pep is being classless by openly talking about having offers from england without actually naming any club?

But how is that different from Rafa talking non-stop about the Chelsea job when di Matteo was still in charge?
Careful, they'll bite.
We shall meet in the place where there is no darkness.

Offline cornelius

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1676 on: January 6, 2016, 02:54:09 pm »

Never said it was. Odd post.

It's more the content and delivery of what he said rather than what's already out in the open. And like I said, if its out in the open, why divulge much further about it?

He's gone down in my estimations.

Hahaha! Fuck me there are people on here still bitter about what Keegan said nearly 40 years ago but a little bitch like Guardiola gets a free ride...only on rawk!

Offline clinical

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1677 on: January 6, 2016, 02:54:12 pm »
Why do people on here love Pep so much?

He stole Mascherano off of us. And for that he's a  :wanker

Offline please, I have my reasons for it but...

• In the grander scheme of things, most definitely has meaning and most definitely has purpose. History Maker.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1678 on: January 6, 2016, 02:57:45 pm »
He still have to deal with Mangala and Demichlies in the back line when Kompany gets injured ;D
Finished at the age of 26. The Mike Tyson of football.

Follow me on twitter: http://twitter.com/omar_12590

Offline exiledintheUSA

• Not to be confused with Darren from Thetford. Or Phil Dowd.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Justice HAS come. YNWA 97
« Reply #1679 on: January 6, 2016, 02:58:54 pm »
Off to Everton with 500M.
Been all over the world but Anfield is still my home.