Author Topic: #GERRARD8 - Steven Gerrard - The final thread (as a player)  (Read 153935 times)

Offline NorthamptonKopite

• Non-
  • Legacy Fan
  • You'll Never Walk Alone

There's no thread for him so... here it is.

No bickering, no comments about contracts, no digs about Chelsea in 05, no football experts saying we're a better team without him, no loyalists claiming he's not and still our best players, no cheap shots at the owners and club for not giving him a contract. None of that.

I wasn't alive to see Dalglish grace Anfield on the pitch, so Gerrard, for me atleast, is Liverpools greatest ever player, and I doubt my mind will be changed until the day I die.

What a man.

What. A. Man.

I could not be more proud of a club captain, the man has been an absolute saint for this club, and has worked tirelessly for us to be proud of him and the team that we have watched for the last 20 years. If we see a better captain come in the next 100 years, we'll be lucky.

I just thought it was almost sickening to see no thread for him... with 2 games to go. Its hard for a lot of people to swallow I know, just two games. Hasn't really sunk in for most, including myself.

With nothing left to play for, his Liverpool career as a player is pretty much up, barring a couple of farewell appearances. I just wanted this thread for people to talk about a man who has been the pride of Liverpool FC for nearly 20 years, and show their appreciation to what an amazing captain we have had the privilege to watch.

You'll Never Walk Alone

Stevie G

A greater legend among great legends.

« Last Edit: May 18, 2015, 10:17:28 am by MichaelA »

Offline itsgunnabebarnes!

• Neghead. hard and gagging. Will never be Barnes
  • Legacy Fan
Re: Steven Gerrard - The final thread (as a player)
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2015, 10:16:42 pm »
For so long he was the 'hope in my heart'. When we've been average in the past I always had that hope knowing he could do something. He often did, and he's the reason these last 15 years have had silverware, because without him we'd be like Spurs.
'Tramps like us, baby we were born to run!'

Offline SerbianScouser

• Far from world class.
  • Legacy Fan
  • ...All the best
« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2015, 10:20:22 pm »
There will be people saying we should play kids last two games but I think Gerrard deserves for his last Anfield game to be a win so I hope we field our best team , seal the 5th spot and send Gerrard off with a home win.

Offline mickeydocs

• Legacy Fan
  • Jurgen Klopp - best Liverpool coach since Paisley
« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2015, 10:20:32 pm »
So many amazing moments come to mind. Legend in every way.
It’s easy to believe when it’s going well.

Offline The Infamous_LFC

• Doubting Thommo.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2015, 10:21:20 pm »
my hero and a inspiration. will be very emotional in his last game. feel blessed to have seen him play for us in the flesh and wish him the best in the future. hopefully he returns in some capacity

Online Asam

• has a mankini
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2015, 10:25:51 pm »

Well In Stevie  :wave

Offline N0rnIr0nRed

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2015, 10:26:03 pm »
Liverpool's Greatest of all time.

I have no doubt in my mind about that!
Legend. Leader. Liverpool.

Still can't believe he is leaving.
"I usually have a second pair of glasses but I can't find them because it's hard to find glasses without glasses!" Jürgen Klopp

Offline moondog

• dot com! Wake him up before he go-gos.....
  • Legacy Fan
  • Bring the noise
« Reply #7 on: May 10, 2015, 10:26:09 pm »
As a parting gift for "the difference" as he so often was for us, here is something my lad knocked up to remind Stevie G of us whilst he is cruising in LA. The legend will be sorely missed and never replaced.

Offline TheFlyingScouseman

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Nice day
« Reply #8 on: May 10, 2015, 10:27:09 pm »
He has been a Liverpool player as long as my living memory. Will be a different universe without him. Farewell Captain.

Offline mensor

• Definitely not MENSA
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Anny Roader
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #9 on: May 10, 2015, 10:29:47 pm »
Will never see the likes of him again. End of an era. :(

Offline tomster

• Main Stander
  • Fans don't boo nobodies
« Reply #10 on: May 10, 2015, 10:30:01 pm »
The best player I have ever seen in a Liverpool Shirt.  Talisman, leader and legend.  Will be missed big time!

Offline Samie

• The next Pharaoh of Egypt. The Ev of drafting! Rumoured to be the 7th, we may need that old magic back! The Timekeeper, ask him what time the action starts.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #11 on: May 10, 2015, 10:31:41 pm »
Will be very weird seeing a Liverpool team knowing he will never play for us again.  :(

Offline Fordy

• Κασσάνδρα. ITK (rubs bridge of nose knowingly)
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #12 on: May 10, 2015, 10:33:08 pm »
We will miss him badly.

Wish he was staying. Total legend and class act.

Offline Max999

• Anny Roader
« Reply #13 on: May 10, 2015, 10:33:26 pm »
He's a one off, we'll never seen another like him. The greatest.

Offline Red_Mist

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • CORGI registered friend (but not a gas engineer)
« Reply #14 on: May 10, 2015, 10:36:56 pm »
A Liverpool legend. And not just any old legend, right up there on a par with the very greatest Liverpool FC legends of all time, and always will be.

Simple as that really.

Thanks for everything Stevie.

Offline Gifted Right Foot

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #15 on: May 10, 2015, 10:37:46 pm »
My Hero.  Thanks for everything. 

Online 1892tillforever

• "Just call me................daddy.............!"
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Either the curtains go or I do
« Reply #16 on: May 10, 2015, 10:39:13 pm »
This thread will make me very sad because it will doubtless be a trip down memory lane as we look back at the wonderful career of this true legend. Sad because he is just 2 games away from never playing for LFC again; sad because it will be hard to replace this giant of a player and sad because he never won the title his astounding play deserved.  :'(

Offline Miltonred

• Does the "M" in Mod stand for morons?
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Super Title: Does the M in Milton stand for Moron?
« Reply #17 on: May 10, 2015, 10:40:10 pm »
Too many great moments. Too many great games. The man is a legend and has been for years and years already.
Every great goalscorer who has been at Anfield in the last decade and a half owes Gerrard a great debt, without him they all would have been average.
He stayed when he could have left. He fought for us tooth and nail, desperate for success in the red shirt, when he could have walked into half a dozen teams who were collecting trophies and medals for fun, but they weren't Liverpool so he wasn't interested.

I have seen many great players at Liverpool, from Keegan, and Dalglish to Fowler, Owen, Torres and of course Suarez, but they will all need to take a bow, because Stevie G is the greatest of them all.

How long before a player is fit to wear the number 8? It took until Luis before the player wearing number 7 was worthy, maybe it will be longer before we have a player to match Steven Gerrards greatness? Maybe the club should just retire the number!

Good luck to him and his family on the big move to LA, I wish him nothing but the best!

Offline Anywhichwayicant

• Clique member #2,367, #FakeNews. Banned Closet Bluenose. "Captain, I am sensing the bleeding obvious!"
  • Legacy Fan
  • I'm too moist and tender to retire.
« Reply #18 on: May 10, 2015, 10:41:25 pm »
For so long he was the 'hope in my heart'.
Beautifully put.

Offline Bruce88

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #19 on: May 10, 2015, 10:42:40 pm »
I'm gonna be an emotional wreck after that game.

Offline CoventryYNWA

• Kopite
« Reply #20 on: May 10, 2015, 10:44:18 pm »
He's the sort of bloke I will tell my kids about in the future and I can't wait to do so.

Been a huge part of my life and I will never forget him sticking his thumb up to me at the age of 10 at the Champions League parade as I shouted his name.

So long Stevie G, you'll never walk alone.

Online sinnermichael

• I copy other people's photoshops and twitter posts and texts and pretend they're mine.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #21 on: May 10, 2015, 10:44:21 pm »
Once in a generation player. The closest thing you'll ever see to Roy of the Rovers.

Absolute legend.

Offline Gerrard#1

• Playing goalie would combat his decreasing mobility, and vastly improve distribution at the back. Somebody's watching me.....
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #22 on: May 10, 2015, 10:45:38 pm »
He is still our top scorer after all these years.
Quote from: jillc
If you ask Gerrard #1 he'll probably be able to tell us who we're getting. I hear he is good with the crystal ball.

Quote from: Gerrard#1
Coutinho is our best player he will be world class one day and will end up playing for Barca or Real.

Offline Cid

• Licks cuban heeled shoes but doesn't want anyone to know about it.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #23 on: May 10, 2015, 10:46:35 pm »
I can barely imagine a Liverpool without him. Truly the greatest.

Offline The Infamous_LFC

• Doubting Thommo.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #24 on: May 10, 2015, 10:47:19 pm »

How long before a player is fit to wear the number 8? It took until Luis before the player wearing number 7 was worthy, maybe it will be longer before we have a player to match Steven Gerrards greatness? Maybe the club should just retire the number!

Deffo don't want to see anyone currently playing for us wearing that number. It needs to be put on lay away for that next special player or retired completely imo.

Offline clinical

• incision required - a bad case of an urgent rawkectomy? "And of course I've got this terrible pain in all the diodes down my left side."
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #25 on: May 10, 2015, 10:47:22 pm »
Legend. Absolute legend. Best player we've ever had.
Thank Fowler we're not getting Caulker

Offline PROPER crazyemlyn72

• is Android
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #26 on: May 10, 2015, 10:49:01 pm »
i remember when he started playing as a young kid, and his shirt looked huge on him. and then he developed into one of the best in the world. he had such a long career with us and now in 2015 its all over. i never could have imagined in my wildest dreams how many great nights we had with him. i cant believe its over

my song for stevie

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ikJony6h_tQ
« Last Edit: May 10, 2015, 10:57:09 pm by crazyemlyn72 »

Offline gazzam1963

• RAWK Cruiser. Andy@Allertons twin brother. Really misses a good fist pump.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #27 on: May 10, 2015, 10:52:50 pm »
From next week in my opinion he joins the very select few of anfield pantheons in Shankly , Paisley , Dalglish , Liddell and now Steven Gerrard . Others may have got close and won more but it's a special
Lifetime and beyond honour to be in that company
« Last Edit: May 10, 2015, 10:54:38 pm by gazzam1963 »

Online TheShanklyGates

• Firmly in the "shake it all about" camp
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Outside The Shankly Gates...
« Reply #28 on: May 10, 2015, 10:57:18 pm »
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/UH6xY01jp5A" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/UH6xY01jp5A</a>
I've just wiped the sticky residue from my bellend onto the television screen. Taste it Leo. You deserve it.
I would honestly let Wijnaldum jizz in my face right now

Offline Red_Irishman

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • "Absolutely Bobbins"
« Reply #29 on: May 10, 2015, 11:01:43 pm »
Depressing thread. Thoughts of him going is very sad.

I'm 24. Don't know Liverpool without Gerrard. Inconsolable.
“If Everton were playing down the bottom of my garden, I'd draw the curtains.” - Bill Shankly 1913 - 1981

Offline The G in Gerrard

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #30 on: May 10, 2015, 11:08:02 pm »
Class act to the end.

Offline robertobaggio37

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • But we will conquer the ball, each fucking time.
« Reply #31 on: May 10, 2015, 11:08:35 pm »
He's not finished, yet. I think he could stay one more year at least, even as impact sub. What a shit season to say goodbye.
The biggest problem anywhere in the world is that people's perceptions of reality are filtered through the screening mesh of what they want, and do not want, to be true.

Offline CHOPPER

• Bad Tranny with a Chopper. Hello John gotta new Mitre? I'm Jim Davidson in disguise. Undercover Cop (Grammar Division). Does Louis Spence. Well. A giga-c*nt worth of nothing in particular. Hodgson apologist. Astronomical cock. Hug Jacket Distributor
  • Legacy Fan
  • Super Title: Not Arsed
« Reply #32 on: May 10, 2015, 11:08:37 pm »
A thread like this, for a player like this, on a fuckin website like this - is a fuckin disgrace.

Deletions hide the disgrace many of you are.

This site would be best served hiding its head in shame and let the passing of a legend, pass by without itself.

@ Veinticinco de Mayo The way you talk to other users on this forum is something you should be ashamed of as someone who is suppose to be representing the site.
Martin Kenneth Wild - Part of a family

Offline Gnurglan

• The Swedish Savaloy
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #33 on: May 10, 2015, 11:13:32 pm »
Fantastic servant to the club. Fantastic player. It's been a pleasure to watch him play, for so long, at that level. It's hard to believe it's 14 years ago we won the Treble. The same year he was part of the 5-1 vs Germany. And it's almost impossible for me to come to terms with the fact that it's 10 years since that great night in Istanbul, where his goal gave everyone hope. I'll never forget how he did his best to get the crowd going after that header. It was the start of the greatest of comebacks. It's also the game that best describes him. He started in CM, he scored, he moved to fullback and in the end, we won and he got to lift the trophy.   
Versatile. Important in so many ways.

Last season, I remember what a Swedish coach said, who had been to watch LFC train. 'Gerrard is the ultimate captain. He leads by example in every training session'. We could go on. And the beauty of it is - we will. We'll talk about Steven Gerrard now. We'll continue to talk about him ten years from now. Twenty years from now. Maybe even 50 years from now, when the kids of today tell their kids about how things used to be.

"The key isn't the system itself, but how the players adapt on the pitch. It doesn't matter if it's 4-3-3 or 4-4-2, it's the role of the players that counts." Rafa Benitez

Offline nutmeg94

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #34 on: May 10, 2015, 11:16:18 pm »
What a legend. I am guilty of having slagged him off at times this season but there's no denying his status. Does any current player in the world mean as much to his club as Stevie does to Liverpool?

Offline Gnurglan

• The Swedish Savaloy
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #35 on: May 10, 2015, 11:16:59 pm »
From next week in my opinion he joins the very select few of anfield pantheons in Shankly , Paisley , Dalglish , Liddell and now Steven Gerrard . Others may have got close and won more but it's a special
Lifetime and beyond honour to be in that company

Yes. That's the way I see it too. A great among greats. And who knows, maybe he will have something to offer the club after he's retired as a player, some time in the future. Stranger things have happened.

"The key isn't the system itself, but how the players adapt on the pitch. It doesn't matter if it's 4-3-3 or 4-4-2, it's the role of the players that counts." Rafa Benitez

Offline CHOPPER

• Bad Tranny with a Chopper. Hello John gotta new Mitre? I'm Jim Davidson in disguise. Undercover Cop (Grammar Division). Does Louis Spence. Well. A giga-c*nt worth of nothing in particular. Hodgson apologist. Astronomical cock. Hug Jacket Distributor
  • Legacy Fan
  • Super Title: Not Arsed
« Reply #36 on: May 10, 2015, 11:17:58 pm »
You're just too good to be true
Can't take the ball off of you
You've got a heavenly touch
Just like Souness and Rush
When we're all drunk in the bars
We thank the lord that you're ours
You're just too good to be true
Can't take the ball off of you............
« Last Edit: May 10, 2015, 11:19:36 pm by CHOPPER »
@ Veinticinco de Mayo The way you talk to other users on this forum is something you should be ashamed of as someone who is suppose to be representing the site.
Martin Kenneth Wild - Part of a family

Offline The Playmaker

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #37 on: May 10, 2015, 11:19:08 pm »
It has almost been ten years since Miracle of Istanbul. All of these years, all of these ups and downs that we’ve gone through; and who was there with us? Steven Gerrard. Our number 8. Our captain. Our hero. The man is one of us; a Liverpool fan. But unlike us he has realised his dream of playing professional football and winning trophies for his boyhood club. His connection to the club runs deep.

Like many others, I’ve had the privilege to have seen live on a number of occasions. But more importantly, I have seen him progress from a young professional to a club legend. It feels a bit strange to write that, seeing as I’m only twenty six years old. But it is true. He has pretty much finished his career here. I realise that he won’t quite finish his career as a one club man, but if we’re honest, he is just that. No amount of appearances for LA Galaxy will ever change that for me.

I’m actually looking forward to telling the younger generation about Steven Gerrard; those that didn’t see him play live are the unlucky ones. Some of them probably won't believe the stories. But when they watch his goals on television or on the internet they will see. To have witnessed those moments at the time is different, though. We were there in those moments with him. He made us dream. He gave us hope and belief. There were countless games where it all looked lost for us, only for Steven Gerrard to score an absolute beauty of a goal.

He has two games left to play and it is a damn shame that we aren’t heading to Wembley for his final game. But we must enjoy every last second of his career here. I am glad that we've had the honour of watching him play for the club and achieve what he has. We will never see another like him.

Offline Clint Eastwood

• The man with no name
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #38 on: May 10, 2015, 11:24:55 pm »
For a good 7 years he was someone who always seemed to turn things on its head in the blink of an eye, he and Suarez are the types of players who can achieve the impossible so regularly. So many times we've been a goal behind, or drawing, and he's cropped up with an amazing goal. Incredible player, incredible person, we will never see a player like him again.

Offline Gazza-LFC

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #39 on: May 10, 2015, 11:25:16 pm »
O Captain! My Captain.