Author Topic: Almost a year on ...but still like to hear about "that" Atmosphere?  (Read 13386 times)

Offline AdamS

• Hey I'm Not Camp! But I am a tart...
  • Legacy Fan
    • BollockyBoo
Re: Almost a year on ...but still like to hear about "that" Atmosphere?
« Reply #160 on: April 10, 2006, 06:15:45 pm »
Peter Evo after-match post:

Fuckin 'ell! Did you lot just take notice of my rallying call or what? I've got to admit I'm writing this with a little bit of water seeping out of my eyes. THAT WAS FUCKIN' INCREDIBLE! I'm the owldest of owld arses, I've seen everything at Anfield in the past 41 years but NEVER, NEVER, anything like that. It puts EVERYTHING - Inter, St. Ettienne, Auxerre, Olympiakos, Everton 1970 - the lot into the shade. Well done every single last one of you, male and female, young and old, Scouse and wool. I said we needed every edge we could get last night and the crowd gave it to us. No matter where you were in the ground last night please remember this night as the greatest CROWD night in the history of Liverpool FC. You should all feel very proud of yourselves. You truly have all earned yourselves a place in the great and glorious history of Liverpool Football Club.

Evo.

I've never seen that before. It's great to think that I was there at the best night ever at Anfield. If people like Evo who've been to hundreds of games think it was the best then that's good enough for me.

I loved Istanbul, but that was somehow less intense. It was more surreal. The semi final was just immense. It's hard to describe it, but it actually felt magical. I was right in the middle of The Kop and I'll never forget how I felt during and after the game. I get emotional just recollecting it now.
If A is a success in life, than A equals x plus y plus z. Work is x; y is play; and z is keeping your mouth shut.

Offline Chris C

• Anny Roader
  • I'll show you that British craftsmanship is alive!
« Reply #161 on: April 10, 2006, 09:20:48 pm »
The maddest night of my life. Except the Ataturk that is :)

Me and Ste were in 204 and got there early. About an hour before kick off. You just knew it would be a special one (not the special one - fecking c*nt) that night. The atmosphere in the Oakie was subdued. Less banter and what bit there was was nervous or transparent. Then onto the stadium.

I liken it now to going to war. Bravado and nervousness whilst on the cruiser out  - the walk from the pub to the stadium. Fecking shitting myself as I got into the warzone and heard the atmosphere already vibrating around the ground and what lay ahead.

Anyway, we all know what happened. Them 6 fucking minutes (happened to see them Jimmy jump c*nts at the easyjet desk at LJL the next day as well). The Gudjohnsen miss.

Went out with the YNWA lot afterwards and ended up meeting Rafa, Xabi, Robbie, Macca, Luis, Paco, and then finally Rafa when we gatecrashed his evening meal :)

Got back to the bro's uni halls pissed as c*nts and kebab in hand and he'd only feckin lost his keycard when we'd scored so we kipped in the hallway of his flats as his mate were out on smithdown getting laid no doubt.

Woke up. Flatmate turned up. Said goodbyes and I was off to LJL where I was due to fly out to Barcelona. Except for the fact that they'd only re-booked one ticket, my mate Robs, as we were due to fly out the day before and had re-arranged.

This is just the abridged version...

Istanbul was even fucking better :)

Werthers Hag

Offline Ashfordian

• Softlad
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #162 on: April 10, 2006, 09:29:41 pm »
Would love to read ya Istanbul story mate. You should post it up in the near future.

Offline Chris C

• Anny Roader
« Reply #163 on: April 10, 2006, 09:40:29 pm »
oh, taxi to the hotel took an hour and a half as he didn't know where it was. Got me phoned nicked as he stopped to ask for directions in some backstree (with me doing a delayed and pissed up 'nooooo' as it unfolded).

Got to the hotel, bus had left, haggled with taxi drivers. Got there for a guaranteed 40 euros. Hit the traffic, me and Slapnuts from YNWA joined loads of others having a piss the other side of an embankment. The traffic that we'd been sat in for 20 minutes and the taxi that we were in and contained our bags fucked off, so we ended up walking about 5 miles to the stadium. Me, a fat fuck running and flipping Vs to the reds who were laughing at us jogging our way there when they were sat in traffic.

Finally got to the stadium and had to find the coach for our bags, and also the two Steve's who we'd left in the taxi with our bags. Problem being i was the only one with credit on my now stolen phone so we couldnt contact each other. Happened to see Keegan21 (steve from work) through some buses after half an hour. Sorted. Bags loaded and onto the stadium.

Dry as a nun's c*nt, and there were no drinks in the stadium. Nowt to eat and plenty of beer down our necks. 3-0 down at half time.

We won. Got on the coach to the airport. Finally thought we'd get some scran and and some more ale and our flight was called.

First plane back. Hungover, mouth as raw as a pigs twat in oklahoma, went into work to pick up my car and the whole place clapped us through.
Werthers Hag

Offline Chris C

• Anny Roader
« Reply #164 on: April 10, 2006, 09:43:06 pm »
Here's what I wrote:

Out of intuition, I guess, I awoke on the morning of the 9th January 1985. It was around 5am and the house wasn't usually buzzing frantically with bodies and panicked conversations dealt with in hushed tones. Not at 5am.

Strangest of all, however, my auntie Janet was there. I walked into my folk's bedroom, like any ten year old would in such sleepy confusion, seeking the comfort of my mum and dad, and there, stripped, the matress was resting against the wall. Mum, having only known that she was pregnant for two months of the seven, and at 42 years old, had been rushed to hospital. She was haemorraging. Auntie Jan grabbed me and brother, Tony, from what we shouldn't have seen.

"Your mum is in hospital. She should be ok but, i'm sorry, she might lose the baby".

The potential brother or sister we'd known about for just two months was about as real as this.

Nan, who'd lived with us since Grandad died, spent the morning tying up the loose ends of the chaos by distracting us with games, and in between closed doors and secretive phone calls, kept our minds on less important matters. Her Dad was a local club entertainer that went by the name of Rob Roy and now it was time for her performance.

This life or death rope-a-dope went on all day. Then, at 8.10 that night came the final phone call.

"It's a boy."

Me and Tony danced and screamed, 3 lads to 1 girl in the sibling stakes. Gerrinthere!

We were exhuberant and auntie Janet rollocking us was a bitter cap on our joy. We didn't know that there would be tougher fights ahead.

For three months, our new bro, Steve, as our dad had let us name him, lived and breathed in a glass box, fighting off every infection that got him, defying every odd. Ignorant to this I kept looking at Katie Draycott's message - she was the girl i liked at school -  on the get well card from our class and enjoyed the slight recognition. I got used to being babysat as mum and dad spent most of their time with their newborn. All of this became a normality until one day the headmaster called me into his office.

I couldn't be in trouble could I? I was a swot for God's sake.

Steve was coming home!

My feet didn't touch the floor and I flew the 20 minute distance from home within a good 5 minutes or so. And there he was.

A couple of weeks or so later we got the all clear and mum and dad could finally go on that well deserved caravan holiday to Barmouth that they'd planned months back.

For once, cos the kid meant the folks were tied down somewhat, we were allowed out of their sight to play in the dunes under tutelage of my 13 year old cousin. Days were lost fighting imaginary wars and the like. One day we spent searching for a one eared rabbit that we'd seen - it had been attacked, injured. He was our Fiver, the fated hero of Watership down. We had to save him. We didn't, couldn't find him and we never knew if old Fiver died that day. Ole bright eyes dried up in a dune. We prayed not.

At the camp, Dad even allowed us to undertake the adult responsibilites of caravanning such as getting the water or emptying the elson portaloo. How we revelled in such manly activities!

On the Wednesday, the 29th, the caravan became a zone that was stictly for men as we settled to watch Liverpool play in the European cup final, the women exiled to auntie Jan's frame tent to coo over the kid. Only the game that us men had spent the day living out in kick-abouts, with wicket goalposts, never happened. When the fighting started and news started to drip in of lives being lost we kids were remobbed to the dunes again to fight another war and dream up new enemies as we had done throughout the rest of the holiday.

I remember us losing. Being called in when it was 'alright' and catching the end of game highlights. Nothing more really. The next day we went to a market and dad treated me and Tony to a UEFA sticker album with hundreds of stickers in a big plastic bag for us to glue into the book. We competed to find the funniest looking picture and the like with my cousin. The Czechs and the Polish were the best! Greasy basin cuts, wonky eyes, and broken Thommo noses to the extreme. Then, after winning £1.80 and putting back £1.60 on one of those 10p drop gamblers we were back home.

Just over twenty years later I got a text from Steve.

"Been queuing in the fecking freezing cold  for 3 hours"

You get the tickets? I replied. No time for sympathy.

"Yes"

Kop?

Yes.

Gettthehellinthere. May the 3rd be with us.

After the draw in the stadio del alpi, I was immediately on the phone to my mate Rob to reorganise our flight out to Spain, where we were due to go to Barcelona and then San Sebastian. Of course, we were due to fly out on the 3rd. The man came through and i kept my promise to pay the difference in flight costs for the both of us.

We all know, of course, what happened in the match that night. Anfield roared and whilst no heart is a big as liverpool, the pure passion and effort of the crowd and the team that night made me think that inside Anfield maybe there was a heart at least big as the city, or even that's where the veins, of the mersey, Queens drive, the m57 and the m62 led to. Anyway, it was certainly a heart bigger than the blue bits of the City, and never had I seen it throb, miss beats, and pump so furiously before.

The European cup final!

I'd already made tentative plans for my mate at work and my bro to sort the tickets etc out whilst I was away. Gave them my credit card details etc in case they needed funds. Now it was gonna fecking happen. But first, the Oakie.

Shhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

F**k off mourihno

Aaaagggggghhhhhhhh!

Then whenever our lads came on, silence, every word absorbed by every ear and brain, dripping down onto nerves already numbed in disbelief and then 'We're in the bloody final!' and cheers, slaps and beers to try and knock some sort of realisation into us.

We finally got a cab on the A59 (ooter alert!) and off to town we go! O'Neill's was packed and were charging to get in. Someone got a text from Molby so it was Pan American on the docks instead. Red Paul lent me his jacket to cover up my colours. Molby met us at the door and ushered us in.

Rafa is here!

And Xabi

And Nunez

And Paco

Sod off! I thought the unprintable, at this, the impossible. Could it be? How much had I really had to drink?

Having just witnessed our team's passage through to the grounds of immortality I was surprised my portly frame didn't just give up and join Shanks and Sir Bob there and then.

My round. Robbie and Macca were behind me at the bar. Sod off indeedy!

Stevieboy conned a pen and went over. On his way back he netted Xabi. His one goal taking precedent over courtesy to the two gorgeous women Xabi was with Ste bawled in with bravado.

Then it got simply surreal. We grabbed Paco and had our picture taken then minutes, hey it could have been an hour later, Snorky appeared from behind a curtain.

Amidst songs of 'Paco Ayesteran' to the tune of the 'Jose Mourinho' chant (or should that now be who's he Mourinho now we were in the final????)..

"Hey lads, Rafa's in here". We rushed in and I thought glancingly of the LFC history video I got for Christmas in '86 and crazy horse talking about the liverudlian locusts on the buffet, of Thommo taking the trophy to the Falcon. Legendary stuff for those that were there. Here was my bit, my one chance at memories immortal.

It was only a minute or two, maybe less but enough to form a memory that will live with me until I die. Thank Bob Paisley there was a camera there or I wouldn't believe it. Rafa was all smiles, and we all just got more drunk on our dreams.

Out! One quick scarper later and we were surrounding Luis Garcia like Japanese hornets. The poor fella, a giant in our eyes, was dwarfed by us 'larger' fellas. Luis did one and off we went in search of something less mystical - a curry. None to be found though. Settling for a kebab Stevie and I went back to catch whatever sleep we could get.

Ste patted himself down. No keycard. Calls to flatmates but no go - they were all getting laid or summat up on Smithdown. We kipped in the hall. A crappy student hallway. The booze, thankfully, blocking any thoughts of what substances this rough carpet had soaked up in years past I drifted off.

I woke up to see Steve curled up and cradling his kebab, not knowing whether my aches and sore throat were from 3 hours of singing and complete emotional / physical exhaustion the night prior or from the cold, abrasive flooring.

At 8.30 we got in, thanks to 20 notes and plea bargaining with a 'butleresque' security guard. Had a kip and after a shower then I was off to meet my mate outside Lime St, then to LJL for my flight to Barcelona. Not before checking with Steve all of my credit card details and making sure that he had everything he needed to sort out Istanbul.

One problem though according to easyjet I flew out on the 3rd.

NOOOOOOOOO!

£104 later I was booked in. God bless the blonde named Leanne at the Easyjet helpdesk! I asked for her full name and office address so I could write a thank you letter. Boy, I owed her one. From high to low to high again thanks to you girl.

On board the plane I planned the letter and looked at who i'd send it to and where.

Handwritten on the paper she gave me: Sam Servisair, with a head office address in Switzerland. Do they have to put up with that much crap? This girl had just given me the best customer service, more help I'd ever had before, or even wished to and yet I couldn't thank her for it. Effin' tourists. Effin' English.

In Barcelona and San Sebastian arrangements were made, cancelled, rearranged, and alternatives sought. Beers. Text. Beers. Text. Beers. Text. Beers.Text.Beers. Hangover. Voicemail. Bad news. I only had 5 fan card credits.

My ticket for Graz was on my brother's fan card.

The twenty year improbable was now virtually impossible. My mate, who was organising it with the bro began making his own plans. Fine by me, although should I still pay for my brother to go? How couldn't I? Yet the impossibility of me going would make him sort it out. Earn his ticket, aside, of course, from those cold hours queuing for Chelsea.

A nine day holiday away from England,  and it's bleeding England where I really needed, wanted, to be.  Those days prior to the holiday were spent going through the motions with the only thought of giving my all for the Chelsea game, now I was in reverse, fast and hopeless, and wishing I'd sorted things out earlier. Could only drink and enjoy what's left now.

Wednesday, a voicemail.

'I put you through on my mate's fancard. He can't make it. Getting married. Put your passport and address details in. Hope the con works'

Thursday I flew back for the waiting game.

It worked. Lonsdale had my name on the flight. Great! At least I'm out there. What about the match ticket though? We'd have to wait. Would I get sussed at the last essential minute?

At the Villa game we saw Slapnuts and his mate had kopped out from going to the final.

'Come with us fella'

Details emailed, calls made, and then wor lass was not going away this year. He was added to the party.

Then the news, I was in too. Defo. After all of the hassle that myself, my mate and the bro had gone through going to watch the mighty reds in the european cup final it all of a sudden became an anti-climax. My life had been consumed, my 'holiday' before that, with thoughts and dreams of Istanbul. It was an anti climax simply beacuse I never expected it to happen. I'd built myself up for watching it on tv, I never really considered actually being there. It was an anti climax of sorts because i never really planned on having to plan to get there. Just watching it at home, in town or in Liverpool were the logistics being formed in my head. Getting a flight, a hotel and a ticket as we now had was just too bloody easy! What did i have to worry about now? Nothing more than turning up with the right currency, at the right time, and with a photocopy of my passport. At least I wouldn't have to worry about getting a seat in a pub, organising somewhere to kip over in liverpool or wherever, arranging how i get there from work etc.

I just had to turn up.

Slapnuts turned up around 8pm on the Monday and off we went for some beers. After a few I even began to understand the geordie accent and this mental challenge helped offset the 4-2 defeat at pool into a moral victory. The kebab house! and a chicken kebab for tea. Despite our inquiries as to what there was to do in the city all the Turkish owners could say about Istanbul was 'Taksim! Taksim!'.

Home! for a penalty shoot-out in the 2ft wide by 1ft high footy set I'd bought for no reason the week before at a bargain £2.99. Lost 3-1. A new challenge! Hit the beer cans by the post for 1 point and knock the rag off the crossbar for three. 7-1 down I went to bed.

6am the alarm went. By twenty past I was showered, fresh and dressed in red, then Slapnuts went upstairs to call Huey on the intergalactic claybowl-phone. Huey obviously wasn't in so he tried to call Kirk for a while before trying Huey again and then finally both at the same time.

Picked up my cd of LFC songs I'd burned the night before, checked, and double checked the front door, then unlocking the door and checking the gas was off. One more lock up and check and we were off.

Ste was out the night before at his mate's 20th and I hoped the kid was awake and ready by 7 as promised. He was. It was a strangely sombre journey up to Warrington with all of us lost in our own separate minds yet all focusing on the 90 minutes, well over day away, that would unify them for the first time since Chelsea. That time when avoidance of digs at manc colleagues, swaggering 'yes, i'm going' answers, and all of our efforts and emotions spent planning the journey would be galvanised. Not to mention the ghosts of Olympiacos, Juve and Chelsea awakening to stride like giants across the continent.

YNWA, Heart as big, La bamba, Ring of fire, rockin all over the world drifted by. Tomorrow they'd have greater attention. Save our lungs, our energies, for when they were really needed.

I pulled up to the office car park, where I'd leave my car whilst in Istanbul, and where we'd have one final opportunity to photocopy the passports for any who'd neglected to. Only Steve hadn't. I went up to copy his details whilst Slapnuts, green and shaken from the journey, threw up once more. This time where, two hours later, a Director would be settling his expensive loafers into the flotsem of Pete's (Slapnuts') guts. Not content with this he went to the ground floor ladies to rattle his belly juice once more.

Outside, my colleague, friend, and master organiser of the trip, Steve H (not from YNWA) was with the taxi that was to ferry us to LJL. Despite the driver being a bluenose we got there swiftly and with the minimum of smalltalk.

LJL was strangely subdued and cameramen were looking for any old group of fans to get shots of. One was lurking by the merchandise stand. Pete went up to buy a t-shirt although he mustn't have looked too good in the rushes as he never made it onto the telly. Obviously the editor had a rating that went below 6/10.

Checked in, and avoiding being coralled into an interview, we went for a pick me up in the pub, with Steve H stopping to chat to an Echo photographer he knew. The pub was dry at that time so we settled for a brew and watched sky building up to the game. We slowly started to realise where we were and what the point was of where we'd be in five or so hours. Having spent the previous 10 months negating potential hurt with disbelief, it had settled into our very character and it took a lot to realise that it was all now coming true. This was something of a theme last season.

Into the departure lounge and a beer at last (well it had been a good 8 hours although this makes us out to be relatively placid drinkers in comparison to many from this site). Pete declined for some reason. Two or three pints later we went up to the gate for boarding. Hell, there were that many folk there I initially thought we were boarding for three planes. We squeezed in, often rubbing our pockets for reassurance that our boarding cards passport and all were in tact. We didn't even have our tickets neither!!Everything needed reassuring. Were we really going?

A seldmon few pricked the general hubub with songs but they didn't carry much except from under the baited breath of the more nervous, less drunk folk.

The gate opened and we crushed our way through, finally, on the tarmac, seeing the plane 'Ring of fire' broke out from a few of us and five fingered salutes to the ITV camera later we were on board.

Once more, everything became subdued and then the impossibilities of a few weeks back came true. That ticket that I could'nt get was passed over by the steward. I wondered if onanism on a plane was an arrestable offense. I was happy, no, high, and at 30 odd thousand feet I will never get much higher again.

Two whiskeys later I was buzzing and back in that state of numb disfbelief. The stewardess informed us that we needed to strap up again. Istanbul here we come la!

YNWA started softly from the front-middle and built up as mumbled accompianment aroused itself into song, confidence was growing, we were getting nearer, then just as we hit 'tossed and blown' the plane lurched downwards thus giving a fearful depth as 'blo-own' hit it's probable unintentional peak. Even nature was coercing us into it all now!

On the ground. A smooth check-in. On questioning each other some had their photocopies taken. Some didn't. I must look dodgy. Then again slapnuts went through with both passport and photocopy in tact. Must be a randomn thing - either that or there's a free trafficking policy on ladyboys or at least ladyboyalikes and Jonathon Kingalikes have something of a reputation over there.

The bus queue! Apart from it wasn't. There were more seats than folk and on some and it seemed more buses waiting than people in the queues. What happened to enough fans to fill three planes? I must have been having five-strong vision in the departure lounge that morning, and I'd now sobered up enough and my vision was restoring, whilst my five strong hope remained.

Whilst we waited to move off, on the opposite side of the road the Turkish police fingered their guns. No use for them today. Funny how toy-like they look in actuality. The goodwill, anitipation, and growing buzz amongst us, perhaps, had reduced them to such a state.

What a sight!

No longer were we strangers as we passed through the toll booth and the scraggy clad kids held up signs. Liverpool 5 Milan 0. On we went and it was always 5-0. Over the other side of the city, my cynical mind judged, they're doing the same with a Milan victory. Don't blame them either.

Istanbul here we are...

Werthers Hag

Offline Chris C

• Anny Roader
« Reply #165 on: April 10, 2006, 09:43:43 pm »
Our Ste's:

For me it all started back on the 3rd of May once we’d dispatched Chelsea in front of a packed Anfield that generated an atmosphere unlike anything I’d heard in my 20 year lifetime. I felt privileged to be there that night and to share it with my brother and some of my close uni mates as well as with other forumites.

After the final whistle went, I never really turned my attentions to the final because it seemed a long time off, and 4th place was now our aim, but in the meantime it was party time as we headed to the Oakie after finally shifting ourselves from a rocking Kop. Into the Oakie and we’re greeted by the smiling faces of forumites and high fives and hugs as it sinks in that we’ve reached another European Cup Final!!!

Beer after beer was consumed in celebration of our achievement and then a few of us headed into town to carry on the celebrations, where we fortunately ended up in Pan American thanks to Molbys text tipping off RP that a few of the players were in there with Rafa- full speed ahead to the docks please taxi driver! I think the events of that night have been well enough documented on here to go into them in detail again, but let’s just say I had the best night of my life having met some of my heroes. How could this be topped? Well roll on the 25th May and a night even greater than this one.

In the coming days and weeks we anxiously awaited ticket details and arrangements so that we could sort out our trip as soon as possible, but things wouldn’t have been normal if there weren’t a few hiccups along the way. We knew there were 3 of us travelling together, and we’d looked into various ways of getting there and eventually settled on a Lonsdale 1 night trip as we didn’t fancy trekking around half of Europe or spending even more money on a 2night trip.

So we had the trip we wanted decided, now for the easy part of booking it – oh no, there’s complications. Ticket details were announced and 2 of the 3 of us had qualified for tickets with Spike missing out due to the fact his Graz credit was on my fan card and that he’d missed the Monaco game due to being on holiday in Nice at the time. Suddenly the whole trip was looking in doubt. After frantic exchanges of emails between me and Steve (spikes mate who was coming with us) we eventually decided to chance our luck and gamble on simply using his mates fan card and then changing the details to spikes on the Lonsdale website.

We did as said and spent the proceeding days waiting and praying that they’d allow the change and that we could live the dream of going to watch our team in the European Cup Final. Day after day went by and we hadn’t heard anything, leading to me and Steve having kittens, while Spike was blissfully unaware of what was happening due to being away in Spain.

Tuesday 17th May and our prayers had been answered-Lonsdale had accepted the change of details and we were on our way to Istanbul. I cant put into words how happy I was when I found out that everything was sorted- my exams, which I was in the middle of, became unimportant and all I could think of was the final – nothing else seemed to matter. We’d also received news that slapnuts’ attempt to add himself to our party and our trip had been successful – the more the merrier, especially when you knew he’d be a barrel of laughs.

The days slowly rolled by as the 24th May rolled on and it was time to get ready for our trip to Istanbul. A 6:00 start for me in a hung over haze having been out for a mate’s birthday the previous night although nothing could stop me from being upbeat as I was on my way to Turkey. I did my final packing and spike arrived at 7:00 to pick me up, with our geordie friend slapnuts also onboard. The journey to spikes office in Warrington, where we were getting a taxi to the airport, was quiet especially slapnuts. The reason for this soon became apparent- as soon as we stepped out of the car slapnuts began to chuck his guts up onto the car park floor and then into the woman’s toilet. Dodgy kebab his excuse, but being a soft geordie lightweight the real reason!

Anyway we get to the airport and check in then head to the bar for a few beers to start the trip in a proper fashion – although a slightly more perked up slapnuts opted for tea due to his dodgy kebab induced stomach

Onto the flight and time to relax and catch up with a bit of sleep and eventually get our match tickets. I grasped the ticket in my hand and just stared at it in awe- then I began to realise how lucky I was to be on my way to such a monumental event. We touched down in Istanbul and quickly got through the passport control and onto the right bus for our hotel. A quick headcount by the steward and we were on our way to the hotel.

We’d just got onto a main road and we see two young Turkish kids standing on the roadside holding a sign saying “Liverpool 5-0 Milan”. This was the first of many shows of support for us from our Turkish friends. I must admit to not knowing what to expect from Turkey and its natives, but I don’t have a bad word to say about them (apart from one or two which I’ll come to later). The show of acceptance and welcome was echoed by many more Turks as we stepped off the bus to walk a few yards to our hotel. Chants of “Liverpool…Liverpool” and the continuous shaking of our hands quickly eased any fears and doubts I had of our hosts.

We checked into our hotel and were soon heading out in pursuit of a beer or ten. After wandering round side streets which all looked the same and being constantly greeted with shouts of “Leeeeverpool” we eventually found an English bar in a hotel. Fantastic we thought…..

“4 bottles of corona please mate”

“That’s 60lira please”

Cue shocked faces as we picked up our bottles and headed to a table where we had to try to calm down the shocked Steve who had just bought a round of 4 coronas for £7 a bottle!!!

Soon we realised it was cheaper to buy a litre of lager than it was to buy a bottle, so we settled down for a few hours to chat and enjoy a laugh over several litres of beer. After a while we were in need of something more action packed and decided to head over to Taksim to sample the atmosphere there and consume a few more beers. A quick, relatively scare free taxi ride (surely a rarity in Istanbul) and we were there to be greeted by thousands of Liverpool fans singing and having a laugh. We find a lively bar and settle in there to have a few beers, only this isn’t enough for Spike as he receives a text from Will saying that they’re in Taksim. So he heads off to find Will and company. With slapnuts in tow, spike sets about his little adventure, leaving me and Steve to catch-up once we’d finished our drinks- easier said than done though.

By this point of the evening the occasion and alcohol had gotten to spike and limited his ability to give directions. The text of “come out bar turn left and its 4 0 0 down road” didn’t fill me or Steve with confidence but we thought we’d embark on a mission to find them all anyhow. Half an hour later and after numerous attempts from spike to tell us where they were, we were none the wiser and approached a Turkish policeman to see if he could give us any guidance only to be told the place we were searching for didn’t exist! Fantastic!!

To cut a longer story a bit shorter, myself and Steve got separated and I was in Istanbul on my own, without credit on my phone with no real idea of what the hotel was called or where it was. Eventually I remembered id got a hotel card so decided to cut my losses and get a cab back to the hotel and jumped in and gave the cabbie the card and told him “over the bridge” which he seemed to understand and we were on our way.

The conversation in the taxi was somewhat difficult as we tried our best to communicate in our best broken English/Turkish, although it did nearly result in the taxi driver turning round and driving me to Galatasaray.

“Turkish football?”

“ahhh galatasaray and fenerbahce”

“I take you there?!?!”

“no no no, just the hotel please”

“I take you no problem”

“just the hotel!”

Finally after help from several other taxi drivers we got back to the hotel much to my relief and I headed to my room to try to contact the others and let them know I was safe. Minutes later Steve arrived at the door and then spike was next to return, shouting and balling at us for “getting lost”. A few stern words back and he was set straight and realised it was his fault and shit directions that had resulted in this situation, so he cowered back off to his room, but not before telling us he’d left slapnuts behind in taksim without him having any clue of where the hotel is!

Eventually a text off slapnuts saying “whats our hotel called? Taxi for me” and having told him he rolls in a little later slightly worse for wear and lucky that the cigarettes he was handed and smoked in the taxi weren’t laced with rohypnol- or were they, only Pete can answer! He was walking slightly oddly the next day though….

A few hours’ kip and then its time to get up and check out of the hotel. With a good 5 or so hours to kill before our transfer to the hotel we set off to taksim to soak up the atmosphere once again and consume a few beers at spikes expense as he tried to make up for the previous nights shenanigans. The scenes at Taksim were brilliant, awash with witty banners and full of reds singing and enjoying themselves-my personal favourites being the “supercroatigorbiscanusedtobeatrocious” and the “for those of you watching in blue and white, this is what a European cup looks like”.

After a few hours we met up with the forumites from here such as Will, Matty, Wayne, Jonesy, Cobs, Vlad Jnr and others, where more alcohol was consumed and banter was exchanged – mostly at gingernob himself. Highlights include the fat Jeremy Clarkson and the singing of “we all dream of a team of gingernobs” to murph!

Time rolled on and we had our coach transfer to catch so we said our goodbyes and good lucks and found a taxi and handed him our hotel card and told him to head for there. Only this pathetic excuse for a taxi driver didn’t have a clue and ended up taking us in circles much to our annoyance and disbelief – we’d only been there 1 day and we knew that we had to cross the river before we were anywhere near the hotel – he seemingly didn’t!! Minutes passed and the coach transfer got closer to leaving, but not before yet more drama as spikes phone got nicked by a Turkish scally as we pulled up at traffic lights. So now somewhere in Turkey there’s an 8yr old lad watching filthy movies of spike and some fat lass with a pillow hiding her ugly face, from his phone!

We eventually got to the hotel and we’d missed the transfer as our 20 minute taxi ride escalated into a 1hr 10 minutes one!  After grabbing our bags and bartering with a few taxi drivers we’d secured a ride to the stadium and we all piled into this taxi and set off on the final leg of our magical adventure.

I’ve never seen scenes like it before. Turkish people lining the roadsides decked out in Liverpool colours, waving Liverpool flags and showing us their true support. This endorsed what we were told earlier in the day by an English speaking bar owner – “Turkish people love Liverpool because they are so passionate and they love to enjoy themselves”. She was right, the Turks adored us and showed their reputation to be unjust and totally inaccurate (as far as we witnessed anyway).

Eventually we arrived at the stadium and located the bus which we needed to drop our bags off on, and now it was time to have a wander round the fans festival which was now non existent. We somehow stumbled upon Jonesy and Molby and had a chat and some took a swig of Molbys stash of spirits to give them some dutch courage for what they were about to see.

We settled in our seats and soon got into the atmosphere. However I could still not quite believe that I was there in the stadium, living out my dream! The match started and we all know what happened within the first minute, bang 1-0!! Disbelief and shock turned to defiance as we immediately began singing and trying to back the team. The first half progressed and personally I believe we didn’t play badly, but before you knew it we were 2-0 down from a break constructed from an offence that should’ve led to us having a penalty. Doubt began to creep into my mind as I kept thinking that nobody comes from 2-0 down against Milan, they simply don’t give up goals that easily. This became worse when the 3rd went in soon before half time. The whistle went and I sat down dejected and began to think about damage limitation.

I received a text from my scouse mate who was back in Liverpool:

“Fuck!! Whats happening?”

“Believe” is what I text him back. Now I don’t know what made me think that we could still do it, maybe it was blind faith, maybe it was me being unable to accept that we’d come this far and wouldn’t win or maybe it was just me trying to mask the inevitable. I didn’t know and didn’t care, and my mood was picked up further as people around us began singing “we’re gonna win 4-3” in defiance. Minutes later the most emotional and passionate You’ll Never Walk Alone I have ever witnessed began being sung. Fists clenched and veins popping I sang myself hoarse – despite being 3-0 down in the final, we still supported our players and I am immensely proud to say I was involved in that- its what makes Liverpool fans different from others!

The second half started and Stevie gets one back. A glimmer of hope for us now, and minutes later Smicer of all players pops up and scores a fantastic goal. The glimmer turns into a flame and yet again minutes later Xabi scores a penalty to turn the flame into a beacon of hope and the stadium into a mass scene of pandemonium and disbelief. A team that were dead and buried 15 minutes ago are now level, surely now we were in the driving seat, we had to win it, how could we not after this comeback.

Extra time was upon us and our lads were absolutely drained, the legs had gone. The sight of Carra lying on the floor in agony with cramp in both legs yet minutes later stretching to clear danger, will live with me forever. It’s that spirit and fight that epitomised our comeback and our will to win. Then we come to Dudeks save. I still don’t know how the hell he kept it out, and I don’t think I ever will. Call it luck, call it judgement, call it whatever you want, it was one of the best saves ive ever witnessed and one I shall never forget. From this moment on I knew our name was surely on the cup-it was fate!

Penalties were here and nerves were shattered, emotionally drained, I simply couldn’t bear to watch, but at the same time I couldn’t bear not to watch. Could the much maligned Dudek do the unthinkable and land us the European cup from an unimaginable position.

The first four penalties (2 each) put me in dreamland, and we were within touching distance of our 5th and most glorious victory in this competition. Tomassons conversion put doubts back in the mind, which were further rammed home by Riise’s miss. Before long it came down to Shevchenko – he had to score otherwise we had won the cup. It was the much berated and ridiculed Dudek versus the best striker in the world, surely he had to score, surely he couldn’t miss but he did and my emotions turned to relief and joy as I stood there hugging my brother and blubbering onto each others shoulders.

Jumping around hugging and high fiving everyone in sight, the magnitude of what we’d just done started to sink in. I turned round to look at the scoreboard behind me and it read “Winners” with Liverpool FC’s crest underneath it. I looked on in disbelief as players broke down on the pitch while fans were still crying and kissing each other in celebration. Watching the reds lift that trophy and pick up their medals was the proudest moment in my shortish 20 year life – the guts and determination they showed to come back from that position was immense and I will never ever forget their contributions to the best night of my life.

After the celebrations we headed to the bus which was strangely subdued, but we all knew that the reason for this is because we were emotionally drained. I sat there and looked out into the Turkish night trying to comprehend and process what I’d just seen, and to this day I still can’t quite believe it.

After the madness of the airport we were on the flight and soon at home to complete the return of a simply unbelievable trip.

I cant put into words how proud and privileged I feel to have been able to go on such a trip and experience such an occasion but it’s the best feeling ever x 100,000,000!! It’s left me with stories I can tell my kids (when I have them) and grandkids and anybody else that’s willing to sit there and listen to me rattle on about Istanbul and our trip.

Finally I’d like to thank everyone that made the trip so brilliant and memorable; each and every one of you enhanced the experience. But most of all I’d like to thank spike_starski, without whom I wouldn’t have been able to attend the final as I couldn’t have afforded it. Can’t really say how much it meant for me for you to subsidise my trip and provide me with memories I will never ever forget. You’re not too bad for an older, fatter, lazy bro ;-)
Werthers Hag

Offline Ashfordian

• Softlad
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #166 on: April 10, 2006, 09:47:00 pm »
I'll read it when I've got enough time. Looks like a long long read.

Offline johnybarnes

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #167 on: April 12, 2007, 04:39:58 pm »
another year on... reading some of this brought it all back... time to go one more ;D

Offline -HH-

• 'cocky bastard'?
  • Legacy Fan
  • Never forget the Hillsborough victims
    • Footy fans
« Reply #168 on: April 12, 2007, 06:09:47 pm »
I felt much the same when I first re-watched it. We really were very, very poor second half. But who notices that in that cauldron of noise. We as fans destroyed Chelsea to a point where they couldn't take advantage of us even when we were very sloppy, which was normally Chelsea's strength.

What a night, What a fucking night. I want to go back.

And now I can :D
Balotelli, Falcao, Cavani...

I'll be shocked if it's anyone other Etoo. Etoo or no-one. Simples.

In fact, I'll do you all a favor and ban myself from the January transfer window forum if we get anyone other than Etoo.

Offline donmaths

• Kemlynite
« Reply #169 on: April 12, 2007, 06:30:16 pm »
Does anyone has the Echo match reports of the semifinals and quarters. I would be much greatful if I could find it.  Echo arcives dont have it.

Offline Nebular

• Anny Roader
  • Catherine Deneuve. Je t'aime..
« Reply #170 on: April 12, 2007, 08:41:10 pm »
Peter Evo after-match post:

Fuckin 'ell! Did you lot just take notice of my rallying call or what? I've got to admit I'm writing this with a little bit of water seeping out of my eyes. THAT WAS FUCKIN' INCREDIBLE! I'm the owldest of owld arses, I've seen everything at Anfield in the past 41 years but NEVER, NEVER, anything like that. It puts EVERYTHING - Inter, St. Ettienne, Auxerre, Olympiakos, Everton 1970 - the lot into the shade. Well done every single last one of you, male and female, young and old, Scouse and wool. I said we needed every edge we could get last night and the crowd gave it to us. No matter where you were in the ground last night please remember this night as the greatest CROWD night in the history of Liverpool FC. You should all feel very proud of yourselves. You truly have all earned yourselves a place in the great and glorious history of Liverpool Football Club.

Evo.

I think Mr.Evo will need to issue another clarion call.

I think we need to show Chelsea and their fans that 2005 was no flash in the pan. They will be better prepared having experienced it last time.

It means we have to go up several notches.

Get set for this one people.

Let's make this one louder, better.

We can do it. We can raise the bar again.

:wave
The choice of Mackenzie to present a programme on the life and work of Alfred Harmsworth is as appropriate as if a programme on the life and work of Albert Einstein were presented by a baboon. MAGS
Man U play at OT - which now stands for "ONLY TWO" ( WE'VE WON FIVE BY THE WAY................)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RpzTv5fHgn0

Offline -HH-

• 'cocky bastard'?
  • Legacy Fan
  • Never forget the Hillsborough victims
    • Footy fans
« Reply #171 on: April 12, 2007, 09:12:57 pm »
Right, this is for all you negative fuckers who think we're not going to do it again. Chelsea owe us blah blah blah:

http://www.redandwhitekop.com/forum/index.php?topic=63507.0

http://www.redandwhitekop.com/forum/index.php?topic=63404.0
Balotelli, Falcao, Cavani...

I'll be shocked if it's anyone other Etoo. Etoo or no-one. Simples.

In fact, I'll do you all a favor and ban myself from the January transfer window forum if we get anyone other than Etoo.

Offline MomoIsBoss

• Hope he cancelled the milk.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Sappnin Lad
« Reply #172 on: April 12, 2007, 10:09:00 pm »
Only managed TV myself distraught when I found out I could of went before the game when somebody had a spare settled for TV boy was it amazing, not missing it this year though, cannot wait!
We're all laughing at Everton, ha ha ha ha

Offline GinKop

• He's going to run to you (ooh-oooh). Knows a techtard when he sees one
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • FORZA MILANO
« Reply #173 on: April 12, 2007, 10:28:49 pm »
I remember reading Evo's rallying call just before the game, and it summed up everything.

Do it again reds, make the most expensive team in the world shit themselves like they did in '05. They'll be expecting it, so go one better.

I can't wait.
JFT97

Offline johnybarnes

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #174 on: April 13, 2007, 04:53:55 am »
I remember reading Evo's rallying call just before the game, and it summed up everything.

Do it again reds, make the most expensive team in the world shit themselves like they did in '05. They'll be expecting it, so go one better.

I can't wait.

me neither ;D

Offline nidgemo

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Semper in excremento, sole profundum qui variat.
  • Super Title: Coming soon! Official Launch May 2008
« Reply #175 on: April 30, 2008, 12:06:46 am »
a timely bumb - some good memories to be relived in this thread!
I'm no longer on RAWK, but if you need to contact me about anything, you can email me on nigelmorrison@connectfree.co.uk

Offline Guz-kop

• Baz cop
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #176 on: April 30, 2008, 12:20:55 am »
The newspaper extracts on .tv said it all. Nowhere else would a european cup semi which had so much tension for 90 minutes could be overshadowed by the thousands and thousands supporters for all the right reasons.

The itv commentator summed it up when the camera panned to the kop about 2 minutes into stoppage time and said something like "And the fans on the terraces just KEEP on singing, it's the only way they know". Hugely paraphrased I know but in times of tension and nerves the fans did all that was familiar to them and just tried to keep the nerves away by singing and willing the team on. I think the way the game panned out (early goal and us hanging on and defending for large periods) definitley willed the crowd on to give another 20% to give the players an extra 20% too

Everytime I see crowds in this country swirling their scarves above their head...like some mancs were tonight....all I can thinking about is the last 30 seconds of the chelsea game and the kop going beserk with scarves. fuck me even the kemlyn was at it
It's wonderful, it's marvellous, it's 3-3