Author Topic: Blazing Saddles @ 50 years old.. and other Mel Brooks productions if you got 'em  (Read 2490 times)

Offline Riquende

• Taking one for the team by giving one to a lucky mascot? Pix or stfu!! (Although is PC is from the 90s so you'll have to wait a while...)
  • Legacy Fan
  • Μετρήστε με με μανία
Article in the Guardian today about Blazing Saddles, a movie I must have first seen when I was about 10, enjoying the campfire scene especially, obviously.

https://www.theguardian.com/film/2024/feb/07/blazing-saddles-at-50-western-spoof-mel-brooks

More of the comedy was unlocked during rewatches as I grew older. It's a superb film, even if I guiltily enjoy Spaceballs a bit more. Other people may have their own favourites from the Brooks oeuvre.

But I do take exception to the oft-repeated line about this and some other older movies, often comedies - "You couldn't make that today". I'm not sure why, the film as a whole is massively 'woke' if you want to use the term, and the only people taking offence would be the standard Right wing curmudgeons upset at being lampooned.

I do want to quickly point out that I don't want the film to be re-made today, a) because the standard studio meddling over a high-profile property would no doubt blunt it past the point of entertainment, and b) because the original still exists and is perfectly watchable.

But I digress.

"The nicest thing about quotes is that they give us a nodding acquaintance with the originator which is often socially impressive."

~ Kenneth Williams, with whom I'm noddingly acquainted. Socially impressed?

Offline kaesarsosei

• Brutally bad.
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
The Gene Wilder gag showing how steady his hand was before revealing that he shot with the other, shaking hand, still makes me spit out my coffee thinking about it.

I grew up laughing at the camp fire scene but really its not even in the top 10 funniest moments in the movie.

Anyone know if/where it is streaming currently?

Offline tubby

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Destroyed Cowboy
The Gene Wilder gag showing how steady his hand was before revealing that he shot with the other, shaking hand, still makes me spit out my coffee thinking about it.

On that note, this bit killed me when I first saw it.

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/qVhCNgct9JQ" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/qVhCNgct9JQ</a>
Sit down, shock is better taken with bent knees.

Online Ray K

• Loves a shiny helmet. The new IndyKalia.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Truthiness
Throw out your hands
Stick out your tush
Hands on your hips
Give em a push
You'll be surprised you're doing the French Mistake
Voila!
"We have to change from doubters to believers"

Twitter: @rjkelly75

Offline Terry de Niro

• Cellar dweller fella, ya know
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Are you talkin' to me or chewin' a brick?
Found it very funny, but the PC Brigade would have a field day with it now.

Online Buck Pete

• GV66 LJF for short. King Kong Balls. Bathes in peat. Partial to a walnut whip. Gets wet for 24/7 but disappointed Chopper. On the mortgage blacklist. Too tight to really be called a
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Little bastard shot me in the Ass!!

So many quotable lines.  Genius film and perhaps my favorite comedy of all time. :)

Offline Andy @ Allerton!

• Missing an asterisk - no, wait sorry, that's his rusty starfish..... RAWK Apple fanboy. Hedley Lamarr's bestest mate. Has done nothing incredible ever.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Asterisks baby!
Read that before. Cracking film.

First time I saw it we were in school and the teacher and backup teacher were both off sick, so they stuck us in a dark room with a projector/screen and put that on.

Fucking awesome. Still makes me laugh now and it's on Netflix UK!
Quote from: tubby on Today at 12:45:53 pm

They both went in high, that's factually correct, both tried to play the ball at height.  Doku with his foot, Mac Allister with his chest.

Offline Andy @ Allerton!

• Missing an asterisk - no, wait sorry, that's his rusty starfish..... RAWK Apple fanboy. Hedley Lamarr's bestest mate. Has done nothing incredible ever.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Asterisks baby!

I grew up laughing at the camp fire scene but really its not even in the top 10 funniest moments in the movie.

Anyone know if/where it is streaming currently?

Netflix UK

They both went in high, that's factually correct, both tried to play the ball at height.  Doku with his foot, Mac Allister with his chest.

Online Ray K

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Truthiness
Netflix UK
It's not.  It's on BBC Four tomorrow at 22.10 though  :)

Online rob1966

• YORKIE bar-munching, hedgehog-squashing (well-)articulated road-hog-litter-bug. Sleeping With The Enemy. Has felt the wind and shed his anger..... did you know I drive a Jag? Cucking funt!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan

They'd tie themselves in knots - the Sheriffs a n*****r, the Camptown races skit (even though its the white boys getting the piss taken out of them), the Klan bit "wheres the white women at"
Jurgen YNWA

Offline Andy @ Allerton!

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Asterisks baby!
It's not.  It's on BBC Four tomorrow at 22.10 though  :)

It is. I've got it on my Netflix. In the UK.

Just played it to make sure. It's there.

Here is the link:  https://www.netflix.com/title/70000380

:)
« Last Edit: February 7, 2024, 04:54:04 pm by Andy @ Allerton! »

Offline Red Beret

• Yellow Beret. Wants to sit in the Lobster Pot. Fat-fingered. Key. Boa. Rd. Kille. R. tonunlick! Soggy Knickers King. Bed-Exiting / Grunting / Bending Down / Cum Face Champion 2023.
  • Legacy Fan

Which is ironic, because I always thought the whole point of the movie is to take the piss out of scummy racists. I don't think the PC Brigade realises who the film was meant to offend.
I don't always visit Lobster Pot.  But when I do. I sit.

Popcorn's Art

Online Buck Pete

• GV66 LJF for short. King Kong Balls. Bathes in peat. Partial to a walnut whip. Gets wet for 24/7 but disappointed Chopper. On the mortgage blacklist. Too tight to really be called a
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Which is ironic, because I always thought the whole point of the movie is to take the piss out of scummy racists. I don't think the PC Brigade realises who the film was meant to offend.

Exactly, Gene Wilders character summed it up perfectly with this line.

"These are people of the land. The common clay of the new West. You know... morons."

Offline jillcwhomever

• Finding Brian hard to swallow. Definitely not Paula Nancy MIllstone Jennings of 37 Wasp Villas, Greenbridge, Essex, GB10 1LL. Or maybe. Who knows.....Finds it hard to choose between Jürgen's wurst and Fat Sam's sausage.
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • "I'm surprised they didn't charge me rent"
Article in the Guardian today about Blazing Saddles, a movie I must have first seen when I was about 10, enjoying the campfire scene especially, obviously.

https://www.theguardian.com/film/2024/feb/07/blazing-saddles-at-50-western-spoof-mel-brooks

More of the comedy was unlocked during rewatches as I grew older. It's a superb film, even if I guiltily enjoy Spaceballs a bit more. Other people may have their own favourites from the Brooks oeuvre.

But I do take exception to the oft-repeated line about this and some other older movies, often comedies - "You couldn't make that today". I'm not sure why, the film as a whole is massively 'woke' if you want to use the term, and the only people taking offence would be the standard Right wing curmudgeons upset at being lampooned.

I do want to quickly point out that I don't want the film to be re-made today, a) because the standard studio meddling over a high-profile property would no doubt blunt it past the point of entertainment, and b) because the original still exists and is perfectly watchable.

But I digress.

Brook's films were always watchable, I remember watching Young Frankenstein, (Marty Feldman was incredible in that!) and the Producers as well. I think it is sometimes true that it's difficult remaking old classics, as they are seldom as good as the originals. I'll give two examples the Italian Job and the Ladykillers.
"He's trying to get right away from football. I believe he went to Everton"

Online rob1966

• YORKIE bar-munching, hedgehog-squashing (well-)articulated road-hog-litter-bug. Sleeping With The Enemy. Has felt the wind and shed his anger..... did you know I drive a Jag? Cucking funt!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Brook's films were always watchable, I remember watching Young Frankenstein, (Marty Feldman was incredible in that!) and the Producers as well. I think it is sometimes true that it's difficult remaking old classics, as they are seldom as good as the originals. I'll give two examples the Italian Job and the Ladykillers.

History of the World Part 1 was mental ;D

They hear the words, see the pictures and don't see what is going on and get all outraged for nothing. Dickheads

Got it set to record tomorrow
Jurgen YNWA

Online Buck Pete

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
One of Brooks underrated classics which closely follows Saddles and YF as favorite for me, is High Anxiety.

A parody of Hitchcock movies. 

Brooks' go to baddie, Harvey Korman is as slimy and as wonderfully funny as ever :)

Offline jillcwhomever

• Finding Brian hard to swallow. Definitely not Paula Nancy MIllstone Jennings of 37 Wasp Villas, Greenbridge, Essex, GB10 1LL. Or maybe. Who knows.....Finds it hard to choose between Jürgen's wurst and Fat Sam's sausage.
  • Legacy Fan
One of Brooks underrated classics which closely follows Saddles and YF as favorite for me, is High Anxiety.

A parody of Hitchcock movies. 

Brooks' go to baddie, Harvey Korman is as slimy and as wonderfully funny as ever :)

I remember seeing YF when I was quite young, and I'd never seen anyone with eyes like Feldman he gave me nightmares that first night I watched it!

History of the World Part 1 was mental ;D

They hear the words, see the pictures and don't see what is going on and get all outraged for nothing. Dickheads

Got it set to record tomorrow

I have never seen that one.

Offline CHOPPER

• Bad Tranny with a Chopper. Hello John gotta new Mitre? I'm Jim Davidson in disguise. Undercover Cop (Grammar Division). Does Louis Spence. Well. A giga-c*nt worth of nothing in particular. Hodgson apologist. Astronomical cock. Hug Jacket Distributor
  • Legacy Fan
  • Super Title: Not Arsed
Capon pawn in game of life
@ Veinticinco de Mayo The way you talk to other users on this forum is something you should be ashamed of as someone who is suppose to be representing the site.
Martin Kenneth Wild - Part of a family

Online rob1966

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
I remember seeing YF when I was quite young, and I'd never seen anyone with eyes like Feldman he gave me nightmares that first night I watched it!

I have never seen that one.

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0082517/
Jurgen YNWA

Online Kekule

• Not fussy.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
My favourite bit.

That’s a genuine laugh from Cleavon Little as Wilder ad libbed the “you know…morons” bit and completely nailed the timing. Brooks kept it in as it was such a good moment.

Offline jillcwhomever

• Legacy Fan

Online Scottymuser

• Has many leather bound books (about football), and his home smells of rich mahogany. Bow to his superior knowledge of central defenders.
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
It is. I've got it on my Netflix. In the UK.

Just played it to make sure. It's there.

Here is the link:  https://www.netflix.com/title/70000380

:)

Yeah, I echo others - that is not available on Netflix in the UK.  You sure you aren't on a VPN as it is available in the US version as I have just hooked my VPN up

Offline CHOPPER

• Bad Tranny with a Chopper. Hello John gotta new Mitre? I'm Jim Davidson in disguise. Undercover Cop (Grammar Division). Does Louis Spence. Well. A giga-c*nt worth of nothing in particular. Hodgson apologist. Astronomical cock. Hug Jacket Distributor
  • Legacy Fan
No sidewindin' bushwackin' hornswogglin' cracker croaker is gonna rowll my bishen cutter
@ Veinticinco de Mayo The way you talk to other users on this forum is something you should be ashamed of as someone who is suppose to be representing the site.

Offline Trada

• Fully paid up member of the JC cult. Ex-Tory boy. Corbyn's Chief Hagiographer. Sometimes hasn't got a kloop.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Trada
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/bnWDTyIQd9o" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/bnWDTyIQd9o</a>

The one film I have not seen of his, that never seems to get shown is Silent Movie Oh and High Anxiety
Don't blame me I voted for Jeremy Corbyn!!

Miss you Tracy more and more every day xxx

“I carry them with me: what they would have thought and said and done. Make them a part of who I am. So even though they’re gone from the world they’re never gone from me.

Offline Only Me

• Insufferable twat. Brexiteer supreme.
  • Legacy Fan
Ahh, Lilly Von Shtupp, the Teutonic Titwillow.

Offline CHOPPER

• Legacy Fan
Up yours nigger!........

Good evening sheriff, sorry about the up yours nigger, take this pie for showing ingenuity and courage in dealing with that horrible mongo.........*tap tap

You will have the good taste not to mention to anyone that I spoke to you

:lmao

Offline CHOPPER

• Legacy Fan
I like rape

Offline Red Beret

• Yellow Beret. Wants to sit in the Lobster Pot. Fat-fingered. Key. Boa. Rd. Kille. R. tonunlick! Soggy Knickers King. Bed-Exiting / Grunting / Bending Down / Cum Face Champion 2023.
  • Legacy Fan
Exactly, Gene Wilders character summed it up perfectly with this line.

"These are people of the land. The common clay of the new West. You know... morons."

It wasn't a Mel Brooks film, but Airplane! is similar in that it could never be made today. But I've yet to see anybody reacting to it on YT who is offended by it. Sometimes norms have to be set aside and you just enjoy something for what it is.

Popcorn's Art

Offline Red Beret

• Legacy Fan
My favourite bit.

That’s a genuine laugh from Cleavon Little as Wilder ad libbed the “you know…morons” bit and completely nailed the timing. Brooks kept it in as it was such a good moment.

Oh yeah, you could always tell that was a genuine laugh, the way he just cracks up like that. ;D

Popcorn's Art

Offline CHOPPER

• Legacy Fan
Blazing Saddles and Young Frankenstein are his masterpieces.

Putting on the Riiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiitz

Offline Andy @ Allerton!

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Asterisks baby!
Yeah, I echo others - that is not available on Netflix in the UK.  You sure you aren't on a VPN as it is available in the US version as I have just hooked my VPN up

I'm on a VPN, but an English one :D

Offline only6times

• a night. Founder of the Breck Road Brasses mediation service. Owner of an out of control Fat Finger.
  • Legacy Fan
Excuse me while I whip this out!
bitter,not me.a granddad,but I'm not even 40

Offline kezzy

• Kopite
Meeting is adjourned
It is
No, you say that
Say what
Meeting is adjourned
It is

Didn’t Richard Prior write half of the film and wasn’t he supposed to play sheriff Bart. 

Online Buck Pete

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan

The one film I have not seen of his, that never seems to get shown is Silent Movie Oh and High Anxiety

I don't think High Anxiety gets the plaudits it deserves.

It's pretty much a spoof on Alfred Hitchcock movies.  The trouble is, Hitchcock himself was a funny guy.  He often laced his movies with tongue-in-cheek, funny moments.

So, I suppose parodying movies that don't take themselves too seriously anyway, was always going to make it tough for Brooks to get the critics onboard

However, High Anxiety is packed with some really funny scenes.  Harvey Korman as Dr. Charles Montague plays almost the same type of character as Hedley Lamarr in Saddles.  He's the ultimate comedy villain.

Get it watched and let me know what you think :)

Offline Riquende

• Taking one for the team by giving one to a lucky mascot? Pix or stfu!! (Although is PC is from the 90s so you'll have to wait a while...)
  • Legacy Fan
  • Μετρήστε με με μανία
I only saw High Anxiety for the first time last year. I'm amazed I can't find a gif anywhere of the glass table scene, that is cinematography gold.
"The nicest thing about quotes is that they give us a nodding acquaintance with the originator which is often socially impressive."

~ Kenneth Williams, with whom I'm noddingly acquainted. Socially impressed?

Offline Trada

• Fully paid up member of the JC cult. Ex-Tory boy. Corbyn's Chief Hagiographer. Sometimes hasn't got a kloop.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Trada
Blazing Saddles and Young Frankenstein are his masterpieces.

Putting on the Riiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiitz

And The producers of course.

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/HPXHRX8Q2hs" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/HPXHRX8Q2hs</a>

“I carry them with me: what they would have thought and said and done. Make them a part of who I am. So even though they’re gone from the world they’re never gone from me.

Online Buck Pete

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
I only saw High Anxiety for the first time last year. I'm amazed I can't find a gif anywhere of the glass table scene, that is cinematography gold.

Yeah, the vid of that gag is not on YT either.  Not that I can find anyway.

I love the scene where Mel Brook's character is fighting with the old professor guy.  Dr Monague (Harvey Korman) comes into the room and tries to break them up.  He ends up taking his jacket off and starts acting like a boxing referee.

The Werewolf scene too :lmao

Online Ray K

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Truthiness
And The producers of course.

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/HPXHRX8Q2hs" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/HPXHRX8Q2hs</a>
I love the guy cheering at the end  ;D

Mel Brooks told Parky that before they started filming it, Kenneth Mars, who plays the Nazi Franz, asked Mel if he could tell Gene and Zero that Kenneth was a method actor and would only answer off-set if he was called Herr Liebkind, and would sleep in his uniform etc. He wasn't a method actor, but thought that it would be funnier if the others thought he was. Gene Wilder thought he was totally crazy.

Offline classycarra

• The Left Disonourable Chuntering Member For Scousepool.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan

It's pretty much a spoof on Alfred Hitchcock movies.  The trouble is, Hitchcock himself was a funny guy.  He often laced his movies with tongue-in-cheek, funny moments.

So, I suppose parodying movies that don't take themselves too seriously anyway, was always going to make it tough for Brooks to get the critics onboard

However, High Anxiety is packed with some really funny scenes.  Harvey Korman as Dr. Charles Montague plays almost the same type of character as Hedley Lamarr in Saddles.  He's the ultimate comedy villain.

I'd never heard of High Anxiety - as a Hitchcock, Young Frankenstein and Blazing Saddles fan I'm going to need to check it out cheers!

Offline Trada

• Legacy Fan
  • Trada

Just bookmarked High Anxiety and Silent Movie on BeeTV will watch them sometime over the weekend

Just checked the film's he has directed, shocked that is only directed 11 films