Author Topic: Last Week Tonight With John Oliver  (Read 13918 times)

Offline Latenight Surfer

• Legacy Fan
  • Giggity
Re: Last Week Tonight With John Oliver
« Reply #40 on: May 11, 2015, 08:32:20 pm »
Happy Mother's Day.. now get the fuck back to work  ;D
"Genuine Struggle Leads To Genuine Success" - Yevado Annadle

Offline Henry Chinaski

• Gay for Dirk, wants him naked.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #41 on: May 11, 2015, 09:45:21 pm »
Fallen out of love with it, I have to say. The investigative journalism is really impressive at times, but I'm already tired of the show's structure and all of Oliver's tics, can't help it. I don't think it's that funny either.

I know most people don't share this opinion, but the last Real Time with Bill Maher-episodes were miles ahead again of this show...
"I look at life like a big book and sometimes you get half way through it and go 'Even though I've been enjoying it, I've had enough. Give us another book'"
~ Karl Pilkington

Offline Redcap

• Legacy Fan
  • You wrote a bad song Petey!
« Reply #42 on: May 12, 2015, 03:59:28 am »
Fallen out of love with it, I have to say. The investigative journalism is really impressive at times, but I'm already tired of the show's structure and all of Oliver's tics, can't help it. I don't think it's that funny either.

I know most people don't share this opinion, but the last Real Time with Bill Maher-episodes were miles ahead again of this show...

I think the 'one new investigative story a week' approach hurts the show's ability to be consistent.

The quality of the episode seems largely to depend on the quality of the story itself. John Oliver is a good host, and a funny one, but unsurprisingly with a show of this nature, most of the best moments have come with a solid foundation of a genuinely interesting story.

When the subject is the NCAA or the IRS, I just don't really care enough to watch it. And it's reached the point where I've now missed several weeks in a row, because I'm just not confident the show is going to have something interesting to tell me.

Offline Henry Chinaski

• Gay for Dirk, wants him naked.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #43 on: May 12, 2015, 09:34:58 am »
I think the 'one new investigative story a week' approach hurts the show's ability to be consistent.

The quality of the episode seems largely to depend on the quality of the story itself. John Oliver is a good host, and a funny one, but unsurprisingly with a show of this nature, most of the best moments have come with a solid foundation of a genuinely interesting story.
As usual, you're completely right.
"I look at life like a big book and sometimes you get half way through it and go 'Even though I've been enjoying it, I've had enough. Give us another book'"
~ Karl Pilkington

Online stoa

• way. Daydream. Quite partial to a good plonking.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Five+One Times, Baby...
« Reply #44 on: June 29, 2016, 12:16:13 am »

When the subject is the NCAA or the IRS, I just don't really care enough to watch it. And it's reached the point where I've now missed several weeks in a row, because I'm just not confident the show is going to have something interesting to tell me.

Just discovered John Oliver via his bits on Brexit and I have to say I love what he's doing. Have spent the last couple of days watching a lot of the stuff on the youtube-channel. Have just watched the bit about "Special Districts" and he had a youtube video about the "Lichfield Mosquito Control District"-meeting where just the two guys responsible for it are sitting there, but are still doing stuff right by the book. Watched the real video on youtube for a bit (and it seems they regularily tape their meetings and put them on youtube) and in a way I feel kind of sad for them, that nobody seems to give a fuck about what they do, but at the same time I love how dedicated they seem to be...

Offline blacksun

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #45 on: June 30, 2016, 03:45:14 am »
I love this show and as a Brit living in the US he says many of the things I point out to my American colleagues all the time.

Offline Chakan

• Chaka Chaka.....is in love with Aristotle but only for votes. The proud owner of some very private piles and an inflatable harem! Winner of RAWK's Carabao Cup captian contest.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Internet Terrorist lvl VI
« Reply #46 on: June 30, 2016, 02:17:20 pm »
He's very very intelligent. Love his show.

Offline Skeeve

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #47 on: June 30, 2016, 02:20:35 pm »
Only thing I don't like about his show is that it effectively killed off the bugle podcast that he used to do with Andy Zaltzman.

Online Ray K

• Loves a shiny helmet. The new IndyKalia.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Truthiness
« Reply #48 on: August 2, 2016, 12:11:49 pm »
John was genuinely angry with Trump the other night over the Khizr Khan attack. His wife being a combat medic probably at the heart of that

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/BUCnjlTfXDw" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/BUCnjlTfXDw</a>

On a more light hearted note, he's on the latest Comedians in cars getting coffee episode:
http://comediansincarsgettingcoffee.com/john-oliver-what-kind-of-human-animal-would-do-this
"We have to change from doubters to believers"

Twitter: @rjkelly75

Offline JongWK

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #49 on: August 4, 2016, 07:11:47 pm »
LFC interview:

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/vbQii_rapvg" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/vbQii_rapvg</a>

8)

"I look at him doing all sorts of crazy shit and mostly I burst out laughing at his insane genius.
I mean, if his first reaction to a ball bouncing in front of him 40 yards from goal is 'I'm going to whack this into the net from here', you just have to laugh at the sheer improbability of it all."
~~Ray K, on Luis Suarez (Liverpool 5 - Norwich 1)

Offline capt k

• aaaaaaaavemaaaaaaaaan!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • id rather be fishing
« Reply #50 on: August 5, 2016, 05:03:38 am »
Reminds me a bit of Ben Elton in both looks and comic delivery, thinks shouting makes it funnier.
JFT 96

Offline Geppvindh's

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #51 on: August 5, 2016, 07:18:13 am »
Reminds me a bit of Ben Elton in both looks and comic delivery, thinks shouting makes it funnier.

To be fair, he is fucking funny. I don't think he necessarily shouts, but he does have a unique style.

Online Red Beret

• Yellow Beret. Wants to sit in the Lobster Pot. Fat-fingered. Key. Boa. Rd. Kille. R. tonunlick! Soggy Knickers King. Bed-Exiting / Grunting / Bending Down / Cum Face Champion 2023.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #52 on: August 5, 2016, 07:52:16 am »
"I've seen things you people wouldn't believe... attack ships on fire, off the shoulder of Orion... the entire Liverpool team bollock naked..."
I don't always visit Lobster Pot.  But when I do. I sit.

Popcorn's Art

Offline thejbs

• well-focussed, deffo not at all bias......ed
  • Legacy Fan
John Oliver
« Reply #53 on: December 5, 2017, 02:43:08 pm »
Our finest export.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/business/wp/2017/12/04/john-oliver-grills-dustin-hoffman-over-sexual-harassment-allegation/?utm_term=.e30838e0288c

Oliver said that he considered not addressing the subject at what was intended as a genial chat but then decided he bore an obligation.

“I can’t leave certain things unaddressed,” the host said. “The easy way is not to bring anything up. Unfortunately that leaves me at home later at night hating myself. ‘Why the…didn’t I say something? No one stands up to powerful men.’”

“Am I the powerful man?” Hoffman asked.

The actor asked why the questioner wouldn’t hear his side. “Keep a kind of open mind if you can, John.”

“I’m trying,” Oliver said.

“Well I’m trying harder than you are,” Hoffman shot back.

Tensions did not cool throughout the session.

“You weren’t there,” Hoffman said to Oliver about the “Salesman” set.

“I’m glad [I wasn’t],” the host replied.
« Last Edit: December 5, 2017, 02:58:02 pm by thejbs »

Offline S

• pineless. Get no pleasure from seeing the Reds win.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Tonight, Tonight
« Reply #54 on: December 7, 2017, 03:11:45 am »
Our finest export.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/business/wp/2017/12/04/john-oliver-grills-dustin-hoffman-over-sexual-harassment-allegation/?utm_term=.e30838e0288c
Hoffman denies it and there’s no proof. Just an allegation. Bringing such an issue up out of the blue during a public event is classless.

Offline Geppvindh's

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #55 on: December 7, 2017, 03:33:35 am »
Hoffman denies it and there’s no proof. Just an allegation. Bringing such an issue up out of the blue during a public event is classless.

He did nothing wrong in bringing it up. Most sexual abuse victims cannot bring any proof to the table as they're almost always caught off guard. Doesn't mean the allegation does not merit a discussion. Victims also don't have much to gain from coming out, they in fact lose all privacy and end up being subject to online abuse by fanboys (if you're accusing an actor) or supporters (politician).

Offline Igor Tripod Biscan

• Got it, got off it, got on with it. Is rice.
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT 96
Re: John Oliver
« Reply #56 on: December 7, 2017, 09:12:45 am »
Our finest export.

Compare him to Corden and you get that point in buckets!

Liverpool is the pool of life.
Carl Jung, 1961.  Alan Partridge didn't ask for a second season you meff

Offline Red Viper

• Foolproof
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • RAWK Fantasy NFL Champion 2019 & 2020
« Reply #57 on: December 7, 2017, 09:16:32 am »

Well there should be no problem bringing it up. If I was 'falsely' accused of sexual harassment I would welcome any chance to state my innocence in a public forum.

Offline S

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Tonight, Tonight
« Reply #58 on: December 7, 2017, 05:54:48 pm »
Well there should be no problem bringing it up. If I was 'falsely' accused of sexual harassment I would welcome any chance to state my innocence in a public forum.
That's acceptable for you. If I were falsely accused though, and had already stated my feelings on the matter, I wouldn't welcome the subject being brought to mainstream attention in such a manner. The more a public figure talks about or denies something, the more attention they cause and the more people propagate the story.

He did nothing wrong in bringing it up. Most sexual abuse victims cannot bring any proof to the table as they're almost always caught off guard. Doesn't mean the allegation does not merit a discussion. Victims also don't have much to gain from coming out, they in fact lose all privacy and end up being subject to online abuse by fanboys (if you're accusing an actor) or supporters (politician).
Absolutely true. Unfortunately, a world that contains the sort of people who carry out sexual abuse will inevitably also contain the type who fabricate stories. Not that I'm calling the woman who has accused Hoffman as a liar. I just think these situations need to be handled delicately, given that they have the potential to cause life-changing damage to a person's reputation. Oliver however did not tread carefully, choosing instead to surprise Hoffman with this line of questioning in front of a public audience, with no more proof than you or I have.

Online BER

• Goat fondler.
  • Legacy Fan
  • FLOSS IS BOSS!!
« Reply #59 on: December 7, 2017, 06:44:41 pm »
Hoffman should have just apologised and moved on instead of hiding behind the "it was a different time" excuse.

Offline El Lobo

• Chief Suck Up. Feel his breath on your face. Toxic, pathetic, arse-faced, weaselling slimeball. RAWK Maths Genius 2022.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Pretty, pretty, pretty pretty good
« Reply #60 on: December 7, 2017, 07:02:24 pm »
Hmmm, tricky one really.

Fair play for bringing it up, but then saying stuff like:

“It is reflective of who you were. If you’ve given no evidence to show it didn’t [happen] then there was a period of time for a while when you were a creeper around women.

seems a bit daft, since I really doubt there's any evidence either way. I mean if someone said to me can you prove you didn't throw a puppy over a pub in 2004, I'd probably struggle to prove I didn't.
If he's being asked to head the ball too frequently - which isn't exactly his specialty - it could affect his ear and cause an infection. Especially if the ball hits him on the ear directly.

Offline Red Viper

• Foolproof
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #61 on: December 7, 2017, 07:22:54 pm »
Hmmm, tricky one really.

“It is reflective of who you were. If you’ve given no evidence to show it didn’t [happen] then there was a period of time for a while when you were a creeper around women.

seems a bit daft, since I really doubt there's any evidence either way. I mean if someone said to me can you prove you didn't throw a puppy over a pub in 2004, I'd probably struggle to prove I didn't.

There's no way you can throw a puppy over a pub

Offline rowan_d

• boat. Señor Paolo de Souza-Farquharson :)
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
« Reply #62 on: December 7, 2017, 07:34:44 pm »
There's no way you can throw a puppy over a pub
Fray Bentos

Offline Something Worse

• Master of prehistoric and fantasy creature-based onomatopoeia
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #63 on: December 7, 2017, 08:43:23 pm »
Hmmm, tricky one really.

You can't prove a negative, to quote John Oliver himself.
Maybe the group, led by your leadership, will see these drafts as PR functions and brilliant use of humor

Hey Claus, fuck off.

Offline S

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Tonight, Tonight
« Reply #64 on: December 7, 2017, 08:43:40 pm »

Exactly what I mean. Oliver used the most absurd logic to clarify his position. Essentially he’s saying, “guilty until proven innocent”.

Offline Red Viper

• Foolproof
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #65 on: December 7, 2017, 09:15:32 pm »
Exactly what I mean. Oliver used the most absurd logic to clarify his position. Essentially he’s saying, “guilty until proven innocent”.

But it's not like he's ever going to be proven guilty is it? Doesn't mean he didn't do it. Like Oliver said, this woman had no reason to lie.

Offline S

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Tonight, Tonight
« Reply #66 on: December 7, 2017, 10:14:10 pm »
But it's not like he's ever going to be proven guilty is it? Doesn't mean he didn't do it. Like Oliver said, this woman had no reason to lie.
The “she had no reason” explanation doesn’t translate because unfortunately people don’t behave like that. Like I said earlier, a world that contains the sort of evil who would abuse someone inevitably also includes the evil who would lie about the very same thing. You won’t have to look very far to find notorious false accusations on a variety of subjects.

Let me make one thing clear. I am in no way, shape or form accusing the woman in question of lying. I find the revelations coming out of Hollywood sickening. However, that doesn’t mean as soon as someone is accused I consider them guilty. I find that logic warped. Especially when you risk causing irreparable harm to a person’s reputation. The stakes require that the subject is treated with delicacy, as opposed to Oliver’s rash behaviour.

Offline Redcap

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #67 on: December 7, 2017, 11:01:25 pm »
Let me make one thing clear. I am in no way, shape or form accusing the woman in question of lying. I find the revelations coming out of Hollywood sickening. However, that doesn’t mean as soon as someone is accused I consider them guilty. I find that logic warped. Especially when you risk causing irreparable harm to a person’s reputation. The stakes require that the subject is treated with delicacy, as opposed to Oliver’s rash behaviour.

When is the right time and place to address something like this though?

Offline S

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Tonight, Tonight
Last Week Tonight With John Oliver
« Reply #68 on: December 7, 2017, 11:43:34 pm »
When is the right time and place to address something like this though?
Good question. It’s difficult to say, like I said there is a vital need to be delicate. A situation in which Hoffman isn’t completely blindsided in front of a public audience would be a good start though. It feels like a witch hunt.

Given that he brought nothing revelatory to this story, I fail to see the positives of Oliver’s rash behaviour. It served to simply fluster and humiliate Hoffman in front of his friends and the audience. As an example, this could have been proposed beforehand and Hoffman could have justifiably declined. Had he agreed to it, you could then have a reasoned debate.

Hoffman deserves a chance to compose a response, yet there’s no balance when one person has planned out his question and the other has mere seconds to respond. Which is acceptable in most situations, like throwing friendly questions at Coutinho before surprising him with one about Barcelona. When the stakes are this high though, it’s simply irresponsible.

Offline Red Viper

• Foolproof
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #69 on: December 7, 2017, 11:45:34 pm »
Good question. It’s difficult to say, like I said there is a vital need to be delicate. A situation in which Hoffman isn’t completely blindsided in front of a public audience would be a good start though. It feels like a witch hunt.

Given that he brought nothing revelatory to this story, I fail to see the positives of Oliver’s rash behaviour. It served to simply fluster and humiliate Hoffman in front of his friends and the audience. As an example, this could have been proposed beforehand and Hoffman could have justifiably declined. Had he agreed to it, you could then have a reasoned debate.

Hoffman’s deserves a chance to respond how he wishes to, yet there’s no balance when one person has planned out his question and the other has mere seconds to respond. Which is acceptable in most situations, like throwing friendly questions at Coutinho before surprising him with one about Barcelona. When the stakes are this high though, it’s simply irresponsible.

There's an easy way to avoid being put in this situation, by not sexually harassing someone.

Offline coolbyrne

• Legacy Fan
  • Ground Control
« Reply #70 on: December 8, 2017, 12:06:27 am »

Hoffman deserves a chance to compose a response, yet there’s no balance when one person has planned out his question and the other has mere seconds to respond. Which is acceptable in most situations, like throwing friendly questions at Coutinho before surprising him with one about Barcelona. When the stakes are this high though, it’s simply irresponsible.

Oliver responded that he very clearly told the Tribeca Film Institute that he would be bringing it up: “That’s on the organizers. I said very clearly that was something we were going to have to talk about because it’s impossible to talk about this movie without talking about the context that’s hanging in the air.”

So apparently it was proposed by Oliver, though he did it through the organizers rather than Hoffman directly.

I edited this to comment about the story of how Hoffman lost his virginity, but this link provides more information. http://www.slate.com/blogs/browbeat/2017/11/02/meryl_streep_recalled_dustin_hoffman_groping_her_breast_during_their_first.html
« Last Edit: December 8, 2017, 12:15:12 am by coolbyrne »
Oh, these sour times.

No one admires resilience when you were just plain wrong all along - that's just twattishness.

Offline S

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Tonight, Tonight
« Reply #71 on: December 8, 2017, 12:06:28 am »
There's an easy way to avoid being put in this situation, by not sexually harassing someone.
Do you accept that there have been sexual assault cases in the past where initial judgements of wrongdoing were later proved to be inaccurate? If you are aware of such instances, I fail to see how you can justify the tone of Oliver’s questioning - guilty until proven innocent.

Offline Redcap

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #72 on: December 8, 2017, 12:25:59 am »
Oliver responded that he very clearly told the Tribeca Film Institute that he would be bringing it up: “That’s on the organizers. I said very clearly that was something we were going to have to talk about because it’s impossible to talk about this movie without talking about the context that’s hanging in the air.”

So apparently it was proposed by Oliver, though he did it through the organizers rather than Hoffman directly.

Probably putting Tribeca in an awkward situation, where they would have neither wanted to be the bad guy by telling John Oliver that he shouldn't talk about sexual harassment, nor want to lose the whole show by telling Dustin Hoffman about what was coming.

Offline Geppvindh's

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #73 on: December 8, 2017, 06:23:07 am »
Don't know from where this innocent until proven guilty comes from.

This was Hoffman's statement in response to the allegation -  “I have the utmost respect for women and feel terrible that anything I might have done could have put her in an uncomfortable situation. I am sorry. It is not reflective of who I am.”

That's an admission of guilt without actually saying sorry, if there ever was one. It's weak and shows absolutely no remorse. Oliver started his attack by bringing this statement up and rightly so.

Offline vagabond

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #74 on: December 8, 2017, 06:35:15 am »
"Dustin Hoffman was very upset that John Oliver didn't get his consent to ask him about the sexual assault allegations against him." - stolen from youtube
Sometimes a man stands up during supper
and walks outdoors, and keeps on walking,
because of a church that stands somewhere in the East.
---Rilke

Offline Red Viper

• Foolproof
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #75 on: December 8, 2017, 08:04:22 am »
Do you accept that there have been sexual assault cases in the past where initial judgements of wrongdoing were later proved to be inaccurate? If you are aware of such instances, I fail to see how you can justify the tone of Oliver’s questioning - guilty until proven innocent.

Don't know from where this innocent until proven guilty comes from.

This was Hoffman's statement in response to the allegation -  “I have the utmost respect for women and feel terrible that anything I might have done could have put her in an uncomfortable situation. I am sorry. It is not reflective of who I am.”

That's an admission of guilt without actually saying sorry, if there ever was one. It's weak and shows absolutely no remorse. Oliver started his attack by bringing this statement up and rightly so.

What he said ^

Online Red Beret

• Yellow Beret. Wants to sit in the Lobster Pot. Fat-fingered. Key. Boa. Rd. Kille. R. tonunlick! Soggy Knickers King. Bed-Exiting / Grunting / Bending Down / Cum Face Champion 2023.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #76 on: December 22, 2017, 06:07:38 pm »
Only posting the link as I know Russell Howard isn't very popular on here, but he's interviewing John Oliver.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LW43OnmPxIs
I don't always visit Lobster Pot.  But when I do. I sit.

Popcorn's Art

Offline only6times

• a night. Founder of the Breck Road Brasses mediation service. Owner of an out of control Fat Finger.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #77 on: June 4, 2019, 08:58:05 am »
The Mighty Reds were on the opening sequence this week. Don't know if my tweet to him had any influence.
bitter,not me.a granddad,but I'm not even 40

Offline Dull Tools

• Likes James Corden.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #78 on: June 4, 2019, 01:18:38 pm »
Only posting the link as I know Russell Howard isn't very popular on here, but he's interviewing John Oliver.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LW43OnmPxIs
Just saw this. Russell is a massive red. See him at pretty much every European game. Not sure why he wouldn't be popular given his political leanings.

Online stoa

• way. Daydream. Quite partial to a good plonking.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Five+One Times, Baby...
« Reply #79 on: October 22, 2020, 11:32:24 pm »
I'm sorry, if this is a bit of an odd thread-resurrection, but I was just watching some Last Week Tonight clips and I wonder what people's favourite bits are. Not really talking about the big stories, because in my view they are all worth watching. I just mean the little things like in the video about Mike Pence there's this part where they show a statement by Pence that women shouldn't be soldiers and John Oliver goes: "You might say, well come on John he grew up in the 1950s and that's just the way he was brought up" and then he says that Pence is only 55 and three months younger than "Flavor Fucking Flav".

Or the bit in the Border Patrol segment where he concludes that Linus from the Peanuts is a drug dealer and a junkie. I just love the stuff.

I'd have to say that the best bit though is the one about special districts with the two guys putting their meeting on youtube and still doing everything by the book when it's only them. They're even asking whether there are any questions from the public when there's no one there. And to top it all of the video had 0 views after they had put it up. That stuff is just hilarious and I love those two guys...