Author Topic: Cristiano Ronaldo  (Read 24315 times)

Offline Billy The Kid

• Out of the closet with a whiet shirt on, but would pay a fiver not to be gay...Would prefer to give his manliness to someone rather than receive theirs especially Amir in another life.
  • Legacy Fan
  • I'm Your Huckleberry
Re: Cristiano Ronaldo
« Reply #240 on: June 4, 2017, 08:17:37 pm »
Acknowledge my point. You bang on about goals...the stats are incredibly similar.. messi scored TWELVE more goals this season, doubt your assed.. wum troll

I like how you accuse me of making Messi out to be Emile Heskey and then in the next breath say that it's me who's a wum troll

So yeah, you're right, I couldn't be arsed debating you lad.

Cheerio
When overtaken by defeat, as you may be many times, remember than mans faith in his own ability is tested many times before he is crowned with final victory. Defeats are nothing more than challenges to keep trying.” – Napoleon Hill.

Offline Samie

• The next Pharaoh of Egypt. The Ev of drafting! Rumoured to be the 7th, we may need that old magic back! The Timekeeper, ask him what time the action starts.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #241 on: June 4, 2017, 08:28:14 pm »
Stop being a hipster Samie

My hipsterness takes me above this petty Messi/C.Ronaldo debate.  8)

Offline ElCapo

• Legacy Fan
  • Bayern Munich - Mia San Mia
« Reply #242 on: June 4, 2017, 11:05:42 pm »
Great goalscorer who steps up in the big games.

Still nowhere near as good as Messi though.

Why would you derail this thread into a comparison with Messi? 

The way I look at it, Ronaldo has adapted his game to be as deadly a striker as possible.  He basically scored with his first shot on goal, and then put the game beyond reach with his second.  He doesn't need to create, organize, dribble, showboat and faff around in midfield, he has others pulling strings for him in midfield, namely Modric, Kroos, Isco and Casemiro. 

While I appreciate Messi more, I think he hasn't been helped by Barcelona over the last 2-3 years as much as Ronaldo has been helped by RM.  It's a shame that Barca hasn't strengthened in midfield / defense for a long time now.  Messi is a bigger talent, but Ronaldo has been playing at a better team.

Offline ElCapo

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #243 on: June 4, 2017, 11:30:34 pm »
Agreed. Ronaldo "carrying" thing is overblown at this point. He is very consistent and dependable, but carrying he is not.

For years, Madrid used to be a collection of star players. But in recent 4-5 years, they became very good as a team. They are a highly functional team. And conversely, Barca went backwards on that front. Barca used to be the ultimate team under Pep, but after Pep's departure, we became more and more individualistic. Some praised as "vertical" football at the time, and it ended up landing a CL to Barca with trio doing much of the work. However, in the past 2 seasons, it is becoming increasingly clear that Barca have now become completely reliant on individuals, particularly Messi.

In conclusion, if we are comparing who is carrying who, at this point, it is more evident that Messi is carrying Barca rather than Ronaldo carrying Madrid. Messi have not carried Barca to CL or league title this season, but he still DOES carry us. There is very little team game at Barca, it's like, Messi's game is Barca's team game. Neymar is also getting there in terms of playmaking. I feel like Madrid can exchange parts in their team and still perform well. They have become a very good team.

This is fair - I like Barca more than Madrid, but it's clear to me that Madrid are the better side.  I think Madrid's defense is miles better than Barca.  Ramos and Varane can be very aggressive (even though Ramos is a puto), and Carvajal and Marcelo are amazing both defensively and offensively.   The fact that Ramos and Varane are so fast and aggressive allows the fullbacks to bomb forward safe in the knowledge that the centerbacks will not be beaten for pace.   At Barca, that's not the case with Pique and Mascherano (though I must say Umtiti has been a great addition), a fast forward will always create problems for Pique/Mascherano.   So Madrid can play 10-15 yards further up just because of that and shorten the field, press higher.

In midfield, they're also better.  Modric, Kroos and Isco can dominate the middle of the park against most teams, but it's Casemiro who brings a lot of balance and bite to the team.  He's not a galactico but he's absolutely essential to Madrid's balance.  Zidane's genius was recognizing that early days (as opposed to Rafa who was trying to shoehorn James Rodrigues into the team), and allowing the other 3 to dominate CM.  Add in here the fullbacks bombing forward, and Madrid are really a monster.

And then I also think that Benzema is underrated.   He may not have the goals and the assists of a galactico, but watch him play and he is very good at keeping it flowing, swapping with Marcelo and creating space for Ronaldo to exploit. 

Madrid play with speed, pace, incisiveness, aggressiveness that I think Barca have lacked for a few seasons.  Barca have relied on individual genius, namely Messi and Neymar and to a lesser extent Suarez, but overall their team game has suffered.  A team that gets beaten 4-0 by PSG (despite the heroic comeback) or 3-0 from Juventus or 4-1 from Man City is flawed.   IMHO.

Online Chris~

• Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #244 on: June 4, 2017, 11:54:21 pm »

In midfield, they're also better.  Modric, Kroos and Isco can dominate the middle of the park against most teams, but it's Casemiro who brings a lot of balance and bite to the team.  He's not a galactico but he's absolutely essential to Madrid's balance.  Zidane's genius was recognizing that early days (as opposed to Rafa who was trying to shoehorn James Rodrigues into the team), and allowing the other 3 to dominate CM.  Add in here the fullbacks bombing forward, and Madrid are really a monster.

He started 5/6 CL games for Rafa and 7/18 league games, two of rafa's three losses came with him starting as well. Zidane didn't start him until his 10th game. Reality doesn't fit the narrative I guess.
« Last Edit: June 4, 2017, 11:57:32 pm by Chris~ »

Offline ElCapo

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #245 on: June 5, 2017, 03:56:31 am »
He started 5/6 CL games for Rafa and 7/18 league games, two of rafa's three losses came with him starting as well. Zidane didn't start him until his 10th game. Reality doesn't fit the narrative I guess.

My bad then.

Offline ElCapo

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #246 on: June 5, 2017, 04:04:22 am »

Offline trimore

• Legacy Fan
  • Dastardly and Muttley with sick laughter
« Reply #247 on: June 5, 2017, 05:27:49 am »
Incredible player like if someone took the positioning and poaching brain fo Fowler and/or Lampard and put it into a world class athlete's body and a ridiculous work ethic. 

Only gets beat by a pair of Argies who took technique to whole new levels.

i'm just thankful real got him out of manchester, imagine if he ended up staying there. 80 mil looks a bargain now

This. So much this. Rationally there was nothing they could do but they have to be kicking themselves over. It must like if the Bulls letting go of Jordan in 1991. Sports is so irrational most of the time, it must keep Ferguson awake wondering if there was anything he could have said to make him stay.
Go off to sleep in the sunshine, I don't want to see the day when it's dying

Offline pinky

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #248 on: June 5, 2017, 12:18:09 pm »
I was never a fan of this Messi vs Ronaldo debate, but I'd still like to add a few figures that might add some spice to it.

- Ronaldo aka the Portuguese Gerd Muller, is the player that has given more assists in the CL ever. I mean, he's not the number 10, or 20, or 59, or 87 as some would want us to believe. He's the number one.

- In the most important rounds of CL: quarters, semis and final, Ronaldo has scored 40 goals. Messi 16.

Offline ggcc14

• C onfuses objective and objectionable. C-ock
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #249 on: June 5, 2017, 12:25:21 pm »
Why not mention assists in league football, would that not suit your agenda or something?

not sure about that buzzcut
I´ll say something that might surprise you. Real life is different to computer games.
I think Nadal is brilliant. One of the top 10 ever.

Offline pinky

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #250 on: June 5, 2017, 12:31:07 pm »
Why not mention assists in league football, would that not suit your agenda or something?

not sure about that buzzcut

Nothing like an agenda. As I said I was never fan of this debate, but I still enjoy people overreacting to facts that don't suit their mental schemes.

Mention all the stats you want, I won't be the one stopping you from doing so.

Offline Billy The Kid

• Out of the closet with a whiet shirt on, but would pay a fiver not to be gay...Would prefer to give his manliness to someone rather than receive theirs especially Amir in another life.
  • Legacy Fan
  • I'm Your Huckleberry
« Reply #251 on: June 5, 2017, 12:31:08 pm »
He's also the competition's highest ever goal scorer.

Obviously Messi is in second place, but again, his numbers are absolutely staggering

When overtaken by defeat, as you may be many times, remember than mans faith in his own ability is tested many times before he is crowned with final victory. Defeats are nothing more than challenges to keep trying.” – Napoleon Hill.

Offline ggcc14

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #252 on: June 5, 2017, 12:40:32 pm »

Ok I will, since Ronaldo joined Real Madrid;

Messi La Liga appearances; 273
Messi La Liga  goals; 295
Messi La Liga assists; 110

Ronaldo La Liga appearances; 265
Ronaldo La Liga goals; 285
Ronaldo La Liga assists; 81

To summarize since Ronaldo joined Real Madrid as the world's most expensive player, Messi has scored 10 more goals and has 29 more assists in 8 more games.

All time club statistics (league, cups and european competition)

Messi appearances; 700
Messi goals; 565
Messi assists; 231

Ronaldo appearances; 855
Ronaldo goals; 600
Ronaldo assists; 195

To summarize, Ronaldo has played 155 more football matches than Messi and in that time he has scored 35 more goals and made 36 less assists.
If you combine goals and assists, Messi has played a direct part in 796 goals in 700 matches.
If you combine the same figures from Cristiano Ronaldo, he has impacted 795 goals in 855 club games.
I´ll say something that might surprise you. Real life is different to computer games.

Offline Dull Tools

• Likes James Corden.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #253 on: June 5, 2017, 12:41:32 pm »
Nothing like an agenda. As I said I was never fan of this debate, but I still enjoy people overreacting to facts that don't suit their mental schemes.

The stats are easy.

Messi averages 0.87 goals a game and 0.33 assists a game in his club career and Ronaldo averages 0.74 and 0.24 respectively.

Even in Europe Messi's goal ratio is 0.83 and Ronaldos is 0.73. Ronaldo is the top scorer because he has played 31 more games.

What is the debate?

Messi is also better to watch. It is easy to argue Ronaldo is in the top 5 of all time but he is no Messi.
« Last Edit: June 5, 2017, 12:43:41 pm by Dull Tools »

Offline Xabi Gerrard

• WHERE IS MY VOTE?
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #254 on: June 5, 2017, 12:54:52 pm »
- In the most important rounds of CL: quarters, semis and final, Ronaldo has scored 40 goals. Messi 16.

Wow, that is insane. Proper big time player.

Offline redk84

• (and nothing else!)
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • why must we always do things the hard way?
« Reply #255 on: June 5, 2017, 01:50:29 pm »
Ronaldo is a c*nt on the pitch. He played for the mancs and they love him still so doesn't endear him to me

But off the pitch from what I hear he seems a decent enough fella....defo has put in hard work to become such a good player

He's adjusted his game over the last couple of seasons (I think since he had some injuries to his knee?) and seems to do less in the actual match to influence it.

Except when he's in the final third and boy does he make his presence known then! Absolute monster in the opposition box....turns up on the big occasion time and time again, something which I think he has improved on over the years also.

He's been clever and whoever has developed him into this version also deserves huge credit. That Madrid team is a machine and he is vital to them.

P.S I must mention without feeling too dirty. It remains true now and forever that Messi > Ronaldo.
« Last Edit: June 5, 2017, 01:52:06 pm by redk84 »
All Those Who Have A Red Heart Can Rejoice.
For They Have Seen GOD.

Offline Phil M

• YNWA
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Bravery is believing in yourself" Rafael Benitez
    • I coulda been a contenda.....
« Reply #256 on: June 5, 2017, 02:02:18 pm »
God this is tedious.
It's true to say that if Shankly had told us to invade Poland we'd be queuing up 10 deep all the way from Anfield to the Pier Head.

Offline ggcc14

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #257 on: June 5, 2017, 02:03:54 pm »
God this is tedious.
Feel free to add something interesting then.

Offline Phil M

• YNWA
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
It's true to say that if Shankly had told us to invade Poland we'd be queuing up 10 deep all the way from Anfield to the Pier Head.

Offline Billy The Kid

• Legacy Fan
  • I'm Your Huckleberry
« Reply #259 on: June 5, 2017, 03:34:16 pm »
Here's a fun fact

We'd have been premier league champions in 2009 if it hadn't of been for this c*nt

We would. Wouldn't we?  :-\

Offline tubby

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Destroyed Cowboy
« Reply #260 on: June 5, 2017, 03:38:41 pm »
http://www.techtimes.com/articles/31335/20150206/30-fun-facts-every-cristiano-ronaldo-fan-should-know.htm

Fill 'yer boots.

28. In 2008 Ronaldo set a record of goals scored at 42, this earned him the FIFA World of the Year honor.

Wat.
Sit down, shock is better taken with bent knees.

Online Chris~

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #261 on: June 5, 2017, 03:40:51 pm »
Here's a fun fact

We'd have been premier league champions in 2009 if it hadn't of been for this c*nt

We would. Wouldn't we?  :-\
Theyd have just had someone else who would have scored lots of goals. Or Tevez and rooney would have took up a more prominent role.

Offline Phil M

• YNWA
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #262 on: June 5, 2017, 04:02:46 pm »

Offline pinky

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #263 on: June 5, 2017, 04:07:49 pm »
The stats are easy.

As I said, you don't have to convince me of anything. You don't even know whom I rate higher, and I'm not particularly interested in this debate other than seeing some people's overreactions/excessive responses in what I've commonly seen as a discussion with lots of fanatism involved.

Those stats you pasted are well known. The 40-16 figures were not, though. The fact that some people don't find them relevant implying that scoring vs the likes of Cultural Leonesa and Alcorcon represent heroic deeds that should be put in the same bracket as doing the same against the best clubs in Europe amuses me like there is no tomorrow.

Offline ggcc14

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #264 on: June 5, 2017, 04:22:56 pm »
You don't even know whom I rate higher
I think that's something you battle with yourself everyday, I absolutely know who you prefer though, the guy with the worse ratios.

Offline ggcc14

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #265 on: June 5, 2017, 04:26:24 pm »
The fact that some people don't find them relevant implying that scoring vs the likes of Cultural Leonesa and Alcorcon represent heroic deeds that should be put in the same bracket as doing the same against the best clubs in Europe amuses me like there is no tomorrow.
Literally not one person has done that.

No one has even mentioned Messi has scored the most league goals in a season, most goals in a calander year and most La Liga goals in a season yet. Perhaps you were supposed to post it and missed the post button?

Online Coolie High

• bury Regular. My opinions are facts, FYI. (whisper it but doesn't understand midfielders)
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #266 on: June 5, 2017, 04:37:22 pm »
I think that's something you battle with yourself everyday, I absolutely know who you prefer though, the guy with the worse ratios.

Platini has better ratios than Maradona.

Offline Xabi Gerrard

• WHERE IS MY VOTE?
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #267 on: June 5, 2017, 04:49:19 pm »

I'm confused - who are you implying Pinky prefers? The guy with the worse ratios in the big games or the guy with the worse ratios when you include the cannon fodder like Osasuna?

Offline ggcc14

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #268 on: June 5, 2017, 05:23:10 pm »
Im implying pinky prefers the lesser of the two. Which is understandable, hè is an incredible goalscorer

Offline Sir Psycho Sexy

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #269 on: June 5, 2017, 06:08:51 pm »
I love the constant 1 upping in this thread and sly backhanded compliments.

"he prefers the one that isn't as good. You're wrong but I understand you're point of view"

keep going
I would honestly let Wijnaldum jizz in my face right now

Offline Phil M

• YNWA
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #270 on: June 5, 2017, 06:34:13 pm »
In 2008 he who fannies about and dives around opened a boutique in Lisbon where he included jeans with leather pockets, patented buckled loafers and diamond-studded belts.

Offline Billy The Kid

• Legacy Fan
  • I'm Your Huckleberry
« Reply #271 on: June 5, 2017, 08:08:19 pm »
I love the constant 1 upping in this thread and sly backhanded compliments.

"he prefers the one that isn't as good. You're wrong but I understand you're point of view"

keep going

There's a distinct air of bellendery in here alright ;D

Offline SP

• Thor ain't got shit on this dude! Alpheus. SPoogle. The Equusfluminis Of RAWK. Straight in at the deep end with a tube of Vagisil. Needs to get a half-life. Needs a damned good de-frag.
  • RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Super Title: Southern Pansy
« Reply #272 on: June 5, 2017, 08:14:11 pm »
Enough. Please just make it stop.