Author Topic: The Office (American version)  (Read 73907 times)

Offline nicholasanthony

• RAWK Australian cricket correspondent & 2014 AFL tipping champion of the World
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Re: The Office (American version)
« Reply #120 on: September 16, 2008, 03:28:44 pm »
I'd say Ryan is the weakest character. I don't dislike him at all, but considering the fact that he shares top billing with Michael, Jim, Dwight and Pam, we really haven't seen him develop too much. There are two episodes when I quite liked him though- the one where he goes on a sales call with Dwight, and the one in season 4 when Michael and Dwight visit him in New York. Comedic gold

Dwight: And just as you have planted your seed in the ground, I am going to plant my seed in you.
Ryan: I don’t think you know what you’re saying.

I LOVE Sunny in Philly. Yea same as, passed my knowledge of it to a couple of specially chosen friends, and they love it.

Wish theyd hurry up and release it on DVD here.

Good to see another fan. I hope they release it on DVD soon because I'm struggling to find places to watch this show. I read an interview with the creator (also plays 'Mac') has said that the show are going to touch on some more controversial topics including the upcoming election.

I think the episode "The Gang Runs for Office", is a very good one. The way they all screw each other over blaming it on politics the whole time is hilarious. As well as "The Gang Gives Back", typically picking all the black kids first for their community basketball team. Good stuff.

Offline Redcap

• Legacy Fan
  • You wrote a bad song Petey!
« Reply #121 on: September 16, 2008, 03:39:55 pm »
Dwight: And just as you have planted your seed in the ground, I am going to plant my seed in you.
Ryan: I don’t think you know what you’re saying.

:lmao I'd forgotten about that one

Offline TheKid.

• Goat abuser
  • Legacy Fan
  • Vamos
« Reply #122 on: September 16, 2008, 04:03:18 pm »
that line is classic dwight!
Love his petty little exchange with Andy in the lift too

Offline Djibriliant

• Last of the Great Romantics. All-year-round-twattish-dresser.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • It's Friday theeeeen, Saturday Sunday WHAT!?
« Reply #123 on: September 16, 2008, 04:13:23 pm »
Just tuned into this for the first time, after being under the impression that the American version would be shit, but I am pleasantly suprised and think it is very good, keeping the format and blatent british comedy but transforming it into an American sense of humour. Great Stuff.
He wasn't perfect, he made mistakes. But he was genuine. He had the best interests of the club at heart, and gave us a plethora of successful teams that we should have been thankful for.

Offline Oddball

• aka 'Steve'. Thinks Autumn is a series. Shite at COD. Search me. Mathematical legend. "Space". Likes to Fuck holmes. Currently sporting a fetching muzzy. Onion Fondler. Blinded by the light. Would like a small larger beer. Can fakh orf
  • RAWK Diva
  • Legacy Fan
  • Woof woof woof
« Reply #124 on: September 16, 2008, 04:14:40 pm »

Good to see another fan. I hope they release it on DVD soon because I'm struggling to find places to watch this show. I read an interview with the creator (also plays 'Mac') has said that the show are going to touch on some more controversial topics including the upcoming election.

I think the episode "The Gang Runs for Office", is a very good one. The way they all screw each other over blaming it on politics the whole time is hilarious. As well as "The Gang Gives Back", typically picking all the black kids first for their community basketball team. Good stuff.
Hmm, i dont remember that, and ive downloaded, i mean borrowed off the net ;) all 3 series. Unless my memory's just gone to shit at the moment, and with whats happening in my life right now, thats a strong possibility. I think my favorite has to be "The gang get crippled"? if its called that? Im sure you know which one i mean. You know, i think im going to have to stick em on and find that episode, "the gang gives back". Need a fucking laugh right now!
We may sign Salah, but I'll show my arse in the middle of town if we sign one of VVD or Keita. Not gonna happen.

Offline Bob Loblaw

• Could be John Giles, or his agent.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #125 on: September 16, 2008, 04:21:27 pm »
Love when Dwight is staking out.....the gay Mexican guy(terrible with names), and he's telling that story about when he was spying on his girlfriend because he thought she was cheating on him. "Turns out she was!"

Its the delivery, fantastic.

Offline nicholasanthony

• RAWK Australian cricket correspondent & 2014 AFL tipping champion of the World
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #126 on: September 16, 2008, 04:27:39 pm »
I think my favorite has to be "The gang get crippled"? if its called that? Im sure you know which one i mean.
I know the one. Oh so politically incorrect, and oh so funny.

You gotta love Charlie, i almost cry with laughter every time he attempts reading. Such a good show.

Offline Uhoh AureliOs

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Fabio!
« Reply #127 on: September 16, 2008, 07:39:19 pm »
Just tuned into this for the first time, after being under the impression that the American version would be shit, but I am pleasantly suprised and think it is very good, keeping the format and blatent british comedy but transforming it into an American sense of humour. Great Stuff.

Ah another convert. People should just let go of all preconceptions (and the pilot) and watch it as it is. Good stuff :D

Offline Oddball

• aka 'Steve'. Thinks Autumn is a series. Shite at COD. Search me. Mathematical legend. "Space". Likes to Fuck holmes. Currently sporting a fetching muzzy. Onion Fondler. Blinded by the light. Would like a small larger beer. Can fakh orf
  • RAWK Diva
  • Legacy Fan
  • Woof woof woof
« Reply #128 on: September 16, 2008, 08:50:55 pm »
I know the one. Oh so politically incorrect, and oh so funny.

You gotta love Charlie, i almost cry with laughter every time he attempts reading. Such a good show.
Watched "the gang give back". when it started i thought, is this the one were Mac elbows Sweet Dee when playing Basketball. Fucking Hilarious!
We may sign Salah, but I'll show my arse in the middle of town if we sign one of VVD or Keita. Not gonna happen.

Offline Oddball

• RAWK Diva
  • Legacy Fan
  • Woof woof woof
« Reply #129 on: September 17, 2008, 12:55:12 pm »

Offline waittillmay

• Nicks sweets off kids.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #130 on: September 17, 2008, 01:06:50 pm »
Er, NO

behave yourself, dawn isnt even in same league as pam.

Offline Bob Loblaw

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #131 on: September 17, 2008, 01:10:53 pm »

Agreed, by a long long way.

Offline Redcap

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #132 on: September 17, 2008, 01:13:57 pm »
Karen is a lot better than the both of them

Offline nicholasanthony

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #133 on: September 17, 2008, 01:16:20 pm »

i agree with this. There is something about her, not sure what it is. Was watching the "launch party" episode. There's a seen where the whole office is watching the DVD screen-saver to see if it goes right into the corner of the screen. Well there this talking-head interview with Pam mixed in and in that interview she just gives this smile that says a lot more than anything Dawn could do......but thats just me.

Offline waittillmay

• Nicks sweets off kids.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #134 on: September 17, 2008, 01:29:05 pm »
I actually think angela is lovely when she smiles too, which granted isnt often but still.
I would imagine Karen to be considered "hotter" than all the others by most guys though to be honest, but Pam has more about her and is overall more attractive girl i think.

Offline Oddball

• RAWK Diva
  • Legacy Fan
  • Woof woof woof
« Reply #135 on: September 17, 2008, 01:37:37 pm »
wow, your all blind freaks, but i love ya ;)

Pams too dowdy looking for me.

Offline nicholasanthony

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #136 on: September 17, 2008, 01:59:03 pm »
Jan and her massive boobs also do it for me. She is a bitch though. I don't like the bitch Karen turns into either. Angela is also a slag (sorry waittillmay).

Pam may be a little dowdy but she's probably a freak in the sack. ;)

Offline lachesis

• RAWK Scribe
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • МАРКСИСТ
« Reply #137 on: September 17, 2008, 02:13:24 pm »
Been reading Dwight and Creeds blogs - some funny stuff in there:

http://blog.nbc.com/DwightsBlog/

http://blog.nbc.com/CreedThoughts/

Offline nicholasanthony

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #138 on: September 17, 2008, 04:15:17 pm »

Online Hazell

• Ultimate Movie Night Draft Winner 2017. King - or Queen - of Mystery. Hyzenthlay. The 5th Benitle's sex conch.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #139 on: September 17, 2008, 04:33:25 pm »
I personally fancy Phyllis.

And you know what else? I'm getting a boner.
We have to change from doubter to believer. Now.

Offline BIGdavalad

• Major Malfunction. Yearns To Be A Crab! MOD Agony Aunt. Dulldream Believer. Is the proud owner of a one year old login time.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #140 on: September 17, 2008, 04:37:34 pm »
Saw twenty minutes of this before on Sky, seen more amusing suicide bombings.
Joining Betfair? Use the referral code UHHFL6VHG and we'll both get some extra cash.

All of the above came from my head unless otherwise stated. If you have been affected by the issues raised by my post, please feel free to contact us on 0800 1234567 and we will send you an information pack on manning the fuck up.

Online Hazell

• Ultimate Movie Night Draft Winner 2017. King - or Queen - of Mystery. Hyzenthlay. The 5th Benitle's sex conch.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #141 on: September 17, 2008, 04:51:08 pm »

give it a chance. the first series wan't great, but it gets better after that.

Offline Bob Loblaw

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #142 on: September 17, 2008, 04:51:51 pm »
Has it ever been on Sky?

Offline TheKid.

• Goat abuser
  • Legacy Fan
  • Vamos
« Reply #143 on: September 17, 2008, 04:55:22 pm »
think it's only on itv4. Oh and pam is far hotter than dawn. Check out Blades of Glory

Offline BIGdavalad

• Major Malfunction. Yearns To Be A Crab! MOD Agony Aunt. Dulldream Believer. Is the proud owner of a one year old login time.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #144 on: September 17, 2008, 04:56:29 pm »
give it a chance. the first series wan't great, but it gets better after that.

It was 'Take you daughter to work day', was that first series. Maybe I just expected too much after the original, but the Yank one just looked like they've moved some Americans into the same set and told them not to be as funny as the Brits they'd replaced.

Has it ever been on Sky?

ParaComedy I think it was on.
Joining Betfair? Use the referral code UHHFL6VHG and we'll both get some extra cash.

All of the above came from my head unless otherwise stated. If you have been affected by the issues raised by my post, please feel free to contact us on 0800 1234567 and we will send you an information pack on manning the fuck up.

Online Hazell

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #145 on: September 17, 2008, 05:09:25 pm »
It was 'Take you daughter to work day', was that first series. Maybe I just expected too much after the original, but the Yank one just looked like they've moved some Americans into the same set and told them not to be as funny as the Brits they'd replaced.

I think that's the third series. The British one is one of my favourite shows and with the American one, they've not just tried a straight copy. Michael Scott is different to David Brent. Plus there are obviously a lot more supporting characters who have their own plots etc.

The 'Take your daughter to Work Day' was a strange episode in that Michael was forced to confront his failures. Most of the time, it seems like he hides from them or distracts himself so as not to think about them. Maybe after watching some other episodes, you'll enjoy that epsiode a lot more.

Offline waittillmay

• Nicks sweets off kids.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #146 on: September 17, 2008, 06:23:24 pm »
Watch the bird episode, or the booze cruise and you will get hooked.

Offline Oddball

• RAWK Diva
  • Legacy Fan
  • Woof woof woof
« Reply #147 on: September 18, 2008, 12:01:56 am »
think it's only on itv4. Oh and pam is far hotter than dawn. Check out Blades of Glory
Seen it, very funny. Still prefer Dawn.

Offline Redcap

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #148 on: September 18, 2008, 12:15:13 am »
I reckon to get started with the US Office, the best episodes to try would be the ones that are less Michael oriented and more Dwight oriented, I was incredibly put off by Michael when I first started watching and only warmed to him after a couple of seasons.

S1: Diversity Dday
S2: Dwight's Speech
S3: Initiation

But it's one of those shows that you really have to stick with for a few episodes, because it's always going to come off as contrived if you don't understand the characters at first.

Offline Redcap

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #149 on: September 18, 2008, 12:23:05 am »
Been reading Dwight and Creeds blogs - some funny stuff in there:

http://blog.nbc.com/DwightsBlog/

http://blog.nbc.com/CreedThoughts/

Quote from: Creed Thoughts
August 14, 09:23 AM
Creed Thoughts
I spend a lot of time in the library. Don’t get me wrong; I’m not there for the books. Books are for table balancing and throwing at birds. I go for the air conditioning and the smell. Libraries smell good. It almost makes me want to like books, but not quite. Anyway, there’re a lot of kids at the library -- maybe it’s summer school or something – and these kids talk like I’ve never heard before. It’s like a secret street language and I want in. They say stuff like “that dude got clowned” and “he got that swag when he walks.” I want to know what the hell these kids are talking about, but they won’t tell me. I’ve tried going up to the kids to talk about the phrases, but they get kind of freaked out by me. Just wait until they need an ID – then we’ll see who’s running away and telling the librarians.
Anyway, those jerks won’t tell me anything, so I’m making up my own words and phrases. This is my street dictionary and I’m not even charging for it. Just don’t tell the kids in the library, okay?
Keep it bowlin’ – Everyone likes bowling, so this is a phrase for when you want to tell someone to stay positive. For example, if someone tells you they lost their job, you can just tell them to keep it bowlin’ and that’ll cheer them up.
Ploppers – This means bad. “Did you see that movie last night? It was ploppers.”
Horribly obese – I’m taking this one from the library kids. They say things are fat all the time, so I took it a step further. In this case, it means the most beautiful ever. If a foxy dame comes walking in, you can call her horribly obese. I think it might take some time before it catches on, so use this one with caution because some broads may not have heard it yet and could take it the wrong way.
Willy fingers – Perhaps the hardest to explain, but you get willy fingers when you really want to fight someone. “When my boss was yelling at me, I really started getting willy fingers.” Your fingers start moving real fast and itching because they want to hit something – that’s the willy fingers.
Those kids are going to regret not letting me in on their lingo. My slang’s going to take over the nation and there’s nothing those idiots can do to stop it. Keep it bowlin’, people.

:lmao

Offline -Gianni-

• Would have wood if Tiger Woods would
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #150 on: September 18, 2008, 12:55:45 am »
Steve Carell is far better than Gervais IMO.
So we finish the eighteenth and he's gonna stiff me. And I say, "Hey, Lama, hey, how about a little something, you know, for the effort, you know." And he says, "Oh, uh, there won't be any money, but when you die, on your deathbed, you will receive total consciousness." So I got that goin' for me, which is nice.

Offline Redcap

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #151 on: September 18, 2008, 01:02:30 am »
He's not nearly as good a comedian, but I think Michael becomes quite endearing eventually.

Offline -Gianni-

• Would have wood if Tiger Woods would
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #152 on: September 18, 2008, 01:08:08 am »
He's not nearly as good a comedian, but I think Michael becomes quite endearing eventually.

As this character he is better than Gervais for me.

As a comedian I think Gervais is poor, I thought he was good in the office, then after that I realised just how one dimensional the guy is.
So we finish the eighteenth and he's gonna stiff me. And I say, "Hey, Lama, hey, how about a little something, you know, for the effort, you know." And he says, "Oh, uh, there won't be any money, but when you die, on your deathbed, you will receive total consciousness." So I got that goin' for me, which is nice.

Offline Redcap

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #153 on: September 18, 2008, 01:46:22 am »
As this character he is better than Gervais for me.

As a comedian I think Gervais is poor, I thought he was good in the office, then after that I realised just how one dimensional the guy is.

His standup is quite good though, I think

Offline Garstonite

• Scouse Wash House
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #154 on: September 18, 2008, 10:26:35 am »

;D

It's strange because I've seen it countless times now with people saying 'give it a shot' and while I really like Steve Carrell in it, I can't help but share the same opinion as BigDava here. It's a pale imitation. Some episodes pass me by and I think 'what the fuck am I missing?' It's a skid stain on the underpants of the sitcom world. No Brent, no Gareth, no good, no thank-you.

Offline Franck Le Poof

• Blonde transvestite who is utterly haunted by the idea of sitting in other mens piss. Has ticked the box for no publicity ;)
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #155 on: September 18, 2008, 12:43:08 pm »
I think those that have enjoyed it most are those who never really watched the Office UK version and don't have to compare it to anything else. I know its almost cliche to say in this thread but shutting out the UK version from your head and watching, I'd expect people to have a good time of it.
and while I really like Steve Carrell in it
The only bit of your post that didn't surprise me :D
Whenever I meet a French girl I kiss her on both cheeks. Then I stand up and say hello

Offline Oddball

• RAWK Diva
  • Legacy Fan
  • Woof woof woof
« Reply #156 on: September 19, 2008, 03:26:38 pm »
I think those that have enjoyed it most are those who never really watched the Office UK version and don't have to compare it to anything else. I know its almost cliche to say in this thread but shutting out the UK version from your head and watching, I'd expect people to have a good time of it.
Nope, watched them both, enjoyed them both ;)

Offline Redcap

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #157 on: September 19, 2008, 04:30:47 pm »
Seen them both as well. The characters and humour are quite different. So long as you don't look for what was in the UK version, I don't think you're going to be disappointed

Online Hazell

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #158 on: September 19, 2008, 06:02:10 pm »
Seen them both as well. The characters and humour are quite different. So long as you don't look for what was in the UK version, I don't think you're going to be disappointed

exactly. they're both different. but both hilarious too.

Offline Franck Le Poof

• Blonde transvestite who is utterly haunted by the idea of sitting in other mens piss. Has ticked the box for no publicity ;)
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #159 on: September 25, 2008, 09:18:41 pm »
Season premiere begins tonight at 9 in the US.

Yay! ;D
Whenever I meet a French girl I kiss her on both cheeks. Then I stand up and say hello