Author Topic: The Stephen King thread  (Read 64299 times)

Offline UntouchableLuis

• Legacy Fan
Re: The Stephen King thread
« Reply #560 on: September 21, 2019, 12:16:49 pm »
1/4 of the way through The Institute and loving it.

Just picked this up in Asda for a tenner. Heard good things!
"IT'S ENDED.....THE EUROPEAN CUP IS RETURNING TO ENGLAND AND TO ANFIELD."

Offline Andy @ Allerton!

• Missing an asterisk - no, wait sorry, that's his rusty starfish..... RAWK Apple fanboy. Hedley Lamarr's bestest mate. Has done nothing incredible ever.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Asterisks baby!
« Reply #561 on: September 21, 2019, 05:04:46 pm »
The problem I have with a lot of Stephen Kings stories are the endings.

He as actually taken the piss out of himself in some books and films over this.

Endings that are tat (But (mostly) great books include The Stand, IT, Needful Things, The Dark Tower, Geralds Game, The Dark Half.
Quote from: tubby on Today at 12:45:53 pm

They both went in high, that's factually correct, both tried to play the ball at height.  Doku with his foot, Mac Allister with his chest.

Offline Corkboy

• Sworn enemy of Bottlegirl. The Boston Toilet Mangler. Grauniad of the Cidatel. Into kinky S&M with the Lash.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Is it getting better?
« Reply #562 on: December 10, 2020, 12:07:23 pm »
Just finished The Institute which was a cracking read. All the usual King ingredients, to the extent that sometimes it feels like his greatest hits, and yes, the ending gets a bit overwrought like all his endings do. Nonetheless, thoroughly enjoyable if you're a King fan, which I am. He writes working class, small town America very well and this one has plenty of kids in it, which is also a strength of his.

Offline Corkboy

• Sworn enemy of Bottlegirl. The Boston Toilet Mangler. Grauniad of the Cidatel. Into kinky S&M with the Lash.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Is it getting better?
« Reply #563 on: September 14, 2022, 08:58:53 pm »
Fairy Tale

I was away recently on holidays somewhere Dutch, and I searched out and paid for the hardback of this in English, on a day trip to Utrecht. The following day, I started and finished it. Now, I had a good armchair, a lake view, plenty of cigarettes and beer and a wife mostly willing to leave me alone but still. I can't remember the last time I did that, if ever. Not for a book of more than 500 pages, certainly.

It's a thumper. I saw someone on the twitter machine comment with desperation that there was "no good place to stop". There are echoes of The Hunger Games, King's own The Long Walk and 11/22/63 or Neil Gaiman's Stardust. There are strong whiffs of Narnia about the place, there are evil Kings and good but cursed Princesses, disfigured but kind loners, wicked dwarves and royal insects. The story starts with our almost adult hero dealing with loss, grief and danger in the real world before going to a different sort of reality, and there's a faithful dog who is actually a big thread in the tale. I suspect King had an old dog in the house when he was writing this, and I had one at home being minded by my college age son, so it was plinking a lot of strings for me.

As I've said before in this thread, King can be a bit hit and miss. I went through a phase of not finishing a couple of his books, I just wasn't that bothered, but this one I fucking devoured. He also tends to start big and trail off somewhat but this one keeps going like a train all the way to the finish.

His best in a while.
« Last Edit: September 14, 2022, 09:00:57 pm by Corkboy »

Offline KillieRed

• Jaro a.k.a. goatjumpingqueuefucker
  • Legacy Fan
  • Nemo me impune lacessit.
« Reply #564 on: September 14, 2022, 10:23:03 pm »
Excellent, I’ve got this on hold from our library. I really think King regained his mojo after 11/23/63. Most since then have been good after a few years of clunkers. Post accident? Not sure of the timing of that.
The best way to scare a Tory is to read and get rich” - Idles.

Offline ToneLa

• you know the rules but I make the game.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • I AM FURIOUS, RED (STILL)
« Reply #565 on: September 15, 2022, 07:44:36 am »
Might get Fairy Tale, heard good things.

Looking back it's clear the post-accident phase was his worst. There's a few drug-caused clunkers earlier in his career (Tommyknockers) but his books immediately after the accident were spottier

I mean, wouldn't any body's be?

Of the recent period, I've liked and would recommend:

11/22/63
Billy Summers
The Institute
Outsider
Later
Mr Mercedes (book one)

They'll ALL be films eventually haha but Billy Summers is practically a screenplay

I reckon he only finished the Dark Tower cause he thought he might not make it, post accident. If only he knew he'd still be churning out books another twenty years