Author Topic: The Stephen King thread  (Read 64301 times)

Offline Gojedo

• Can your garage boast an ex-Red as a mechanic? Yes? Ah but is it 13000 miles away .....
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Ethyn Daniel Morgan
Re: The Stephen King thread
« Reply #280 on: August 12, 2011, 12:54:45 am »
Javier Bardem as Randall Flagg would be fucking awesome.

But the thing about the Stand is that the most interesting, blockbuster stuff occurs in the first half of the book, with almost everyone on the planet dying. It'll take a skilled director to keep the interest going once the superflu finishes its work.

I guess that is where we revel in our ability to use our own imigination. The first time I read the stand I was reading through about 75-100 pages just to get to the end.

Offline Brian Blessed

• Gordon's ALIVE? Practically Bear Grylls. Backwards Bluesman Bastard.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Super Title: Feedback Tourist #4
« Reply #281 on: August 12, 2011, 07:08:53 pm »
And more news, this from AICN:

The Stephen King news keeps on comin'! Check out who's going to adapt King's next book 11/22/63!
Published at:  Aug 11, 2011 7:47:05 PM CDT

Ahoy, squirts! Quint here. Stephen King news is always exciting to me. I've been a Constant Reader since I was in grade school (no kidding, I read Cujo at age 10) and despite some shaky entries to his catalogue these last few years, I still get excited when a massive King book is on its way.

Next up for King is a tale about a high school teacher given the opportunity to go back in time and thwart the JFK assassination. It's called 11/22/63, looks like a brick of a book (reports are that it runs around a thousand pages). I can't wait to read it as some of my favorite King writing centers around alternate timelines (Drawing of the Three and The Wastelands anyone?).

ShowBlitz/Variety's Jeff Sneider reports that preempting the release of the book comes news of an option from a man who directed one of the best horror movies of all time. Silence of the Lambs' Jonathan Demme is set to write, produce and direct 11/22/63 with King serving as exec producer.

No financing or distribution is in place, but Sneider says Demme wants to be shooting by Fall of 2012. If the book sales are strong enough and the reviews are strong enough (and the budget isn't astronomical) I can't imagine the studios will have much trouble with that duo bringing it to the screen.

Anyone else being strangely drawn to Dion Dublin's nipples?

Offline Red Beret

• Yellow Beret. Wants to sit in the Lobster Pot. Fat-fingered. Key. Boa. Rd. Kille. R. tonunlick! Soggy Knickers King. Bed-Exiting / Grunting / Bending Down / Cum Face Champion 2023.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #282 on: August 12, 2011, 07:44:53 pm »
Yes, that's sort of the whole point of the book, it's a real character study with a large number of well drawn people and its where the book really shines away from the sometimes dodgy plot. I think it could be done well in two films if they were both two hours plus. Warner Brothers are obviously chuffed with how well splitting the last Potter book worked out for them so I can really see them doing it with this.

Anyway, time for some ridiculous fancasting:

Stu: Timothy Olyphant
Frannie: Mary Elizabeth Winstead
Larry: Colin Farrell
Glen: Tommy Lee Jones
Nick: Anton Yelchin
Flagg: Javier Bardem or Viggo Mortensen
Harold: Jonah Hill
Lloyd: Josh Holloway
Trashcan Man: Andy Serkis

I want to save Viggo for the part of Roland Deschain.  ;)

I don't always visit Lobster Pot.  But when I do. I sit.

Popcorn's Art

Offline UntouchableLuis

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #283 on: September 1, 2011, 07:35:55 pm »
Read 'The Shining' and 'Rage' over the last few weeks. The first was brilliant - I tried watching the film after it but found the acting to be below-par. 'Rage' had a similar feel to 'Carrie' but I preferred the latter. Decker also reminded me of Holden Caulfied but a psycho version. Wont get to read much King when I go back to uni as I'll be pretty busy with my reading lists but up next is another 'Bachman' book The Long Walk.

Very much enjoying my King experience so far!
"IT'S ENDED.....THE EUROPEAN CUP IS RETURNING TO ENGLAND AND TO ANFIELD."

Offline Ziltoid

• Grass. See you at next year's panto (oh no you won't!). Carrot-topped Phallic Snowman Extraordinaire.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Scrubbers
« Reply #284 on: September 1, 2011, 08:56:25 pm »
The Long Walk is brilliant, in my opinion anyway.

Offline jaffod

• Living a double life as Billy Bunter after midnight. Has until July 3rd to figure out what from his womans clothing range to wear.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Common beermat and towel thief.
« Reply #285 on: September 1, 2011, 09:29:05 pm »
Read 'The Shining' and 'Rage' over the last few weeks. The first was brilliant - I tried watching the film after it but found the acting to be below-par.

:shocked

Offline Brian Blessed

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #286 on: September 1, 2011, 09:45:34 pm »
He means the mini series. And is right. I think...

Offline cissepower

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #287 on: September 1, 2011, 11:23:27 pm »
So, I've finished Pet Sematary and I thought it was great, especially toward the end.

I think Salems lot will be the next one on my list, unless people can suggest something else? He has so many books I don't really know where to go next!!
~~Justice For The 96, You'll Never Walk Alone~~

Offline Brian Blessed

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #288 on: September 2, 2011, 12:39:28 am »
So, I've finished Pet Sematary and I thought it was great, especially toward the end.

I think Salems lot will be the next one on my list, unless people can suggest something else? He has so many books I don't really know where to go next!!
chronological order.

Offline Finn Solomon

• Life sentence
  • Legacy Fan
  • I love Coutinho's balls
« Reply #289 on: September 2, 2011, 01:40:28 am »
And more news, this from AICN:

The Stephen King news keeps on comin'! Check out who's going to adapt King's next book 11/22/63!
Published at:  Aug 11, 2011 7:47:05 PM CDT

Ahoy, squirts! Quint here. Stephen King news is always exciting to me. I've been a Constant Reader since I was in grade school (no kidding, I read Cujo at age 10) and despite some shaky entries to his catalogue these last few years, I still get excited when a massive King book is on its way.

Next up for King is a tale about a high school teacher given the opportunity to go back in time and thwart the JFK assassination. It's called 11/22/63, looks like a brick of a book (reports are that it runs around a thousand pages). I can't wait to read it as some of my favorite King writing centers around alternate timelines (Drawing of the Three and The Wastelands anyone?).

;D I can't wait!
Twitter - FinnSolomon
Rafa made it so that you didn't give a shit which fucking ball emerged from Platini's jar.

Offline Brian Blessed

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #290 on: September 2, 2011, 04:44:50 am »

Offline Malaysian Kopite

• Feels shivers when he looks a Trquarista's...
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #291 on: September 2, 2011, 07:40:38 am »
Read 3/4 of The Shining a couple of months ago,no idea why I never finished it though. Would love to read more of his books, unfortunately I'm too much of a coward. :(

Well how about that, as soon as i posted this , I went and finished reading it!
« Last Edit: September 16, 2011, 01:16:52 pm by Malaysian Kopite »
Football without fans is nothing.

We've won 18 titles, 5 European Cups, 7 FA Cups, but today must be the greatest victory of all.

Offline UntouchableLuis

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #292 on: September 16, 2011, 12:40:29 pm »
Finished 'The Long Walk' and it's my second favourite after 'The Stand' so far. After I read it I felt like I'd been on the walk there was so much detail of pain and fatigue!

So who does everyone think:

Spoiler
the dark figure was at the end? Personally I think Garraty had gone insane or it was his mother/girlfriend.
[close]

Up next is 'The Dead Zone'. Was also wondering when I get to the first Dark Tower book should I read them all one after another rather than continuing to read all his books in chronological order?

Offline Brian Blessed

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #293 on: September 16, 2011, 01:53:56 pm »
I'd still go chronologically. There are quite a references in it to other books and vice versa.

Offline bellinter

• Infamous author of 'The Joy of Hate'
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #294 on: September 16, 2011, 01:54:49 pm »
Finished 'The Long Walk' and it's my second favourite after 'The Stand' so far. After I read it I felt like I'd been on the walk there was so much detail of pain and fatigue!

So who does everyone think:

Spoiler
the dark figure was at the end? Personally I think Garraty had gone insane or it was his mother/girlfriend.
[close]

Up next is 'The Dead Zone'. Was also wondering when I get to the first Dark Tower book should I read them all one after another rather than continuing to read all his books in chronological order?

The Long Walk is brilliant alright, really gripping story. As for the dark figure, knowing Stephen King, it was probably supposed to be Flagg in some form. The grim reaper also makes sense. Garraty going insane, as you have suggested, is a good shout too.

RE the Dark Tower, I personally read it in stages. Think I read 1-3 back to back, then 4 some time later, then 5-7 as they were published. Worked for me.
In ceremonies of the horsemen, even the pawn must hold a grudge.

Offline Brian Blessed

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #295 on: October 22, 2011, 01:32:35 am »
He is doing a short tour before the next book, and someone was nice enough to get me tickets. I think a Q and A is involved. If I get the chance, I intend to ask the great man how he envisioned the Dark Tower playing out before he had his accident. Unless a Rawkite has a better question. It's around November 10th.

Offline RojoLeón

• Brentie's #1 fan
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #296 on: October 22, 2011, 02:10:20 am »
Read 'The Shining' over the last few weeks. I tried watching the film after it but found the acting to be below-par.

Who was below sub par. Jack Nicholson, Shelly Duvall or the kid (or some other minor character)?

I mean, it's head and shoulders above any other film made from a Stephen King book - I would confidently say it's one of Stanley Kubrick's best films (of which there are many). I'm just puzzled you would find 'acting quality' to be your gripe.
Perhaps that it isn't a faithful adaptation? But surely not that the acting was poor.
« Last Edit: October 22, 2011, 03:01:19 am by RojoLeón »

Offline RojoLeón

• Brentie's #1 fan
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #297 on: October 22, 2011, 02:39:36 am »
I read most of his books (up until The green Mile) but kind of hit a wall for his style of prose. Very enjoyable at the time though. I love some of his books and there is a kind of comforting horror/darkness to them: none of his books ever terrified me like Cormac McCarthy's The Road does, for example.

My fave is The Running Man: Forget the horrific Arnie aberration. The book is immense in stature and it would make an amazing movie (if studios would ever fund a book that is inherently anti corporate/reality tv). The visceral social decay combined with the spectre of the all powerful games network make for a very atmospheric, though claustrophobic story. My one complaint (which is true for many King books) is that he writes the beginning and middle of his books excellently bu isn't so good at wrapping things up or writing endings.
If you're a fan of his work and haven't read the running man then it's a must. Short book also - read it in a day or two

Offline Brian Blessed

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #298 on: October 22, 2011, 02:40:21 am »
Who was below sub par. Jack Nicholson, Sissy Spacek or the kid (or some other minor character)?

I mean, it's head and shoulders above any other film made from a Stephen King book - I would confidently say it's one of Stanley Kubrick's best films (of which there are many). I'm just puzzled you would find 'acting quality' to be your gripe.
Perhaps that it isn't a faithful adaptation? But surely not that the acting was poor.
I thought Sissy Spacek was invisible in it.

Oh and for me Shawshank and Stand By Me are much better films.
« Last Edit: October 22, 2011, 02:42:57 am by King Richard IV »

Offline RojoLeón

• Brentie's #1 fan
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #299 on: October 22, 2011, 02:58:48 am »
Oh and for me Shawshank and Stand By Me are much better films.

Horses for courses - Stand by Me is cute when you're a kid and Shawshank is a wonderful, feelgood movie. Imho, they are not even close in terms of quality to the Shining.

;D My bad re Spacek though - I meant Shelly Duvall

Offline Brian Blessed

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #300 on: October 22, 2011, 04:18:27 am »
I'm your elder.

Offline Brian Blessed

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #301 on: October 22, 2011, 04:51:08 am »
So, my new, less generic question is a two parter, did you pick your payment in Sons of Anarchy, and what is your favourite joke?

Offline RojoLeón

• Brentie's #1 fan
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #302 on: October 22, 2011, 04:52:54 am »
I'm your elder.

Indeed - how was life while growing up in the 16th century?

Offline Malaysian Kopite

• Feels shivers when he looks a Trquarista's...
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #303 on: October 22, 2011, 06:24:38 am »
Shawshank was a brilliant movie. The Green mile is also one of the better King movies out there. There's also something that i like in Christine, I don't know what it is, but well I've become much more attached to cars since watching it.
Football without fans is nothing.

We've won 18 titles, 5 European Cups, 7 FA Cups, but today must be the greatest victory of all.

Offline Rusty Oysterburger

• Might be George Gillett
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #304 on: October 22, 2011, 10:27:12 am »
He is doing a short tour before the next book, and someone was nice enough to get me tickets. I think a Q and A is involved. If I get the chance, I intend to ask the great man how he envisioned the Dark Tower playing out before he had his accident. Unless a Rawkite has a better question. It's around November 10th.

Can you punch him in the face for the end of the Dark Tower series? Ta.
www.twitter.com/savagefletch

"'Do it?' Dan, I'm not a Republic serial villain. Do you seriously think I'd explain my master-stroke if there remained the slightest chance of you affecting its outcome? I did it thirty-five minutes ago."

Offline Brian Blessed

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #305 on: October 22, 2011, 12:55:37 pm »
Indeed - how was life while growing up in the 16th century?
not nearly as sanitary.

Offline bellinter

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #306 on: October 22, 2011, 03:24:07 pm »
Can you punch him in the face for the end of the Dark Tower series? Ta.

ha ha, not a bad shout.

Looking forward to the Bag of Bones mini series starting shortly, with Pierce Brosnan and Melissa George. Looks good

Offline UntouchableLuis

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #307 on: October 22, 2011, 03:49:23 pm »
I heard King is planning a sequel to 'The Shining' for 2012? Should be interesting.

Reading his second set of short stories 'Skeleton Crew' at the moment - nearly finished the novella 'The Mist' and it's pretty good.

Haven't got time to read an actual novel of his but still planning to read 'The Dead Zone' when ever I can.

Offline rob1408

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #308 on: October 22, 2011, 03:51:27 pm »
I heard King is planning a sequel to 'The Shining' for 2012? Should be interesting.

He is, with Vampires which sounds odd to say the least.

Offline Rusty Oysterburger

• Might be George Gillett
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #309 on: October 22, 2011, 03:58:09 pm »
Yeah, a grown up Danny Torrance fighting vampires using his powers ::)
www.twitter.com/savagefletch

"'Do it?' Dan, I'm not a Republic serial villain. Do you seriously think I'd explain my master-stroke if there remained the slightest chance of you affecting its outcome? I did it thirty-five minutes ago."

Offline bellinter

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #310 on: October 22, 2011, 03:59:27 pm »
Shining sequel meant to feature Danny as an adult. Maybe there'll be a link to some 'Salem characters, and he can incorporate the vampires that way

Offline UntouchableLuis

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #311 on: October 22, 2011, 04:10:03 pm »
Personally, I love The Shining for its' psychological aspects so incorporating Vampires doesn't sound amazing to me but will have to wait and see how it turns out!

Offline stoa

• way. Daydream. Quite partial to a good plonking.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Five+One Times, Baby...
« Reply #312 on: October 22, 2011, 07:04:27 pm »
My fave is The Running Man: Forget the horrific Arnie aberration. The book is immense in stature and it would make an amazing movie (if studios would ever fund a book that is inherently anti corporate/reality tv). The visceral social decay combined with the spectre of the all powerful games network make for a very atmospheric, though claustrophobic story. My one complaint (which is true for many King books) is that he writes the beginning and middle of his books excellently bu isn't so good at wrapping things up or writing endings.
If you're a fan of his work and haven't read the running man then it's a must. Short book also - read it in a day or two

I re-read it a couple of weeks ago and had forgotten how good it was. Whoever made that movie should be thrown of a cliff... ;)

Offline Corkboy

• Sworn enemy of Bottlegirl. The Boston Toilet Mangler. Grauniad of the Cidatel. Into kinky S&M with the Lash.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Is it getting better?
« Reply #313 on: October 24, 2011, 11:43:51 pm »
Tell him I prefer his short stories and novellas, I have read one or two of his last twenty years worth of books and how does that make him feel.

Offline PhiLFC#1

• The Messiah! He rawks amongst us
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #314 on: October 25, 2011, 12:37:13 am »
Yeah, a grown up Danny Torrance fighting vampires using his powers ::)

Oh dear, not sure I'll be reading that then. I've never found vampire stories interesting

Offline bellinter

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #315 on: October 25, 2011, 11:27:10 am »
Oh dear, not sure I'll be reading that then. I've never found vampire stories interesting

What did you think of Salem's Lot? Second best King book after The Stand, for me.

Offline cissepower

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #316 on: October 25, 2011, 12:20:48 pm »
What did you think of Salem's Lot? Second best King book after The Stand, for me.

I'm about half way through Salem's lot. Enjoying it so far.
~~Justice For The 96, You'll Never Walk Alone~~

Offline PhiLFC#1

• The Messiah! He rawks amongst us
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #317 on: October 25, 2011, 12:27:15 pm »

It's actually not one I've read, not liking vampire stories it wasn't one of the ones that jumped out at me haha. I suppose I should give it a go though seeing as it's rated so highly

Offline bellinter

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #318 on: October 25, 2011, 12:32:25 pm »
It's actually not one I've read, not liking vampire stories it wasn't one of the ones that jumped out at me haha. I suppose I should give it a go though seeing as it's rated so highly

you definitely should. Not exactly into vampire stories myself but this is immense

Offline UntouchableLuis

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #319 on: October 25, 2011, 01:24:01 pm »
you definitely should. Not exactly into vampire stories myself but this is immense

Have to say I'm not into the whole Vampire thing either, which is why I skipped it when going through the chronological order but will probably give it a go some time.