Author Topic: Pearl Jam  (Read 39785 times)

Offline omerta

• Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
    • radiofc.com
Pearl Jam
« on: March 7, 2006, 07:06:41 pm »
News I've waited years for:

New single World Wide Suicide is available for free download from the site (registration may be required)

Details of Leg 1 of the World Tour here http://www.pearljam.com/news/index-list.php

I have also heard murmurings of Slane but not building my hopes up just yet...
"The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it"  George Bernard Shaw

radiofc.com | last.fm | soundcloud | @radiofc

Offline kevindublin

• Legacy Fan
Re: Pearl Jam
« Reply #1 on: March 7, 2006, 07:22:49 pm »
I used to quite like Pearl Jam, back in my late teens.

Will be interesting to hear what this is gonna be like

Offline bellinter

• Infamous author of 'The Joy of Hate'
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2 on: March 8, 2006, 06:02:37 pm »
I have also heard murmurings of Slane but not building my hopes up just yet...

Heard the Slane rumours myself a few times. Would be a great headline. Saw them there in 93 supporting Neil Young when I was 10! Love another chance to see them there
In ceremonies of the horsemen, even the pawn must hold a grudge.

Offline omerta

• Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
    • radiofc.com
« Reply #3 on: March 9, 2006, 10:12:35 am »
Heard the Slane rumours myself a few times. Would be a great headline. Saw them there in 93 supporting Neil Young when I was 10! Love another chance to see them there

10?!!  man I would've given anything to go to that gig but my folks only allowed me to go to one gig that summer which was U2 at the RDS... it was awesome too but still I'd love to have seen PJ at the peak of their powers.  Managed to make up for missing Neil by catching him in Radio City Music Hall in 2004 and that was epic...
"The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it"  George Bernard Shaw

Offline kingkop182

• Anny Roader
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2006, 07:06:21 pm »
Rumour has it that pearl jam will be a headline act at this years leeds/reading festivals. Apparently the band were not to hot on the idea of doing festivals after what happended at Roskilde but they thought a headlining slot was too much of an opportunity to turn down. The line up is announced 3rd april so I guess we'll have to wait till then to see if it's true.

I for one would love to see them live

Offline Withnail

• Failed anorexic.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2006, 04:34:50 pm »
its not the original line up is it ?didn't stone gossard go elsewhere ?
i used to love pearl jam and alice in chains, still listen to them quite regularly.

Offline omerta

• Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
    • radiofc.com
« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2006, 06:37:14 pm »
Stone Gossard has gone nowhere my friend...

current line up: http://www.sonymusic.com/artists/PearlJam/bio/band.html

Offline Withnail

• Failed anorexic.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7 on: March 14, 2006, 06:48:12 pm »
Stone Gossard has gone nowhere my friend...

current line up: http://www.sonymusic.com/artists/PearlJam/bio/band.html

AAAhhhhhh, temple of the dog. fucking marvelous !

Offline omerta

• Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
    • radiofc.com
« Reply #8 on: March 14, 2006, 06:51:21 pm »
yeah what an album!  every Christmas when you have the drunken bump into ex school mates moment I make sure to thank a girl at home for introducing me to that one...

hoonin

« Reply #9 on: March 14, 2006, 09:37:19 pm »
AAAhhhhhh, temple of the dog. fucking marvelous !

Anyone remember MotherLoveBone?

Only made one album I think, before the lead singer topped himself. Temple of the Dog were a tribute band to him, comprising of members of Perl Jam, Soundgarden and a few others that I cant recall.

A lot of the same players also contributed to the sound track of Singles as well as acting in it. One of my favourite films of all time, mainly due to the whole Seattle thing being in full swing during my teen years, but also for Bridget Fonda. Go weak at the knees every time I see her

Offline Withnail

• Failed anorexic.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #10 on: March 16, 2006, 01:36:28 pm »
Anyone remember MotherLoveBone?

Only made one album I think, before the lead singer topped himself. Temple of the Dog were a tribute band to him, comprising of members of Perl Jam, Soundgarden and a few others that I cant recall.

A lot of the same players also contributed to the sound track of Singles as well as acting in it. One of my favourite films of all time, mainly due to the whole Seattle thing being in full swing during my teen years, but also for Bridget Fonda. Go weak at the knees every time I see her

completely agree, she is a fox(not technically, she is actually a female human being, but if she was a fox she would be a very nice one).
i loved the whole 'grunge' thing, it was a good excuse for me to be a scruffy twat for a few years and wander round in a lumberjack shirt .

Offline omerta

• Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
    • radiofc.com
« Reply #11 on: March 16, 2006, 03:02:41 pm »
by total coincidence I happened to buy "Singles" yesterday on DVD for €6.99 - not a bad little movie with great soundtrack - if you don't have the soundtrack I'd recommend getting it if you can lay yer hands on it...

with respect to Mother Love Bone, whose excellent track "Chloe Dancer / Crown Of Thorns" features on the soundtrack, more info can be found here -> http://tinyurl.com/f9sgk

Offline IrishDave

• This custom title is invisible
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Insert clever comment here ............
« Reply #12 on: March 16, 2006, 03:12:00 pm »
10?!!  man I would've given anything to go to that gig but my folks only allowed me to go to one gig that summer which was U2 at the RDS... it was awesome too but still I'd love to have seen PJ at the peak of their powers.  Managed to make up for missing Neil by catching him in Radio City Music Hall in 2004 and that was epic...

Fucking hell man! That was the exact same situation with me. U2 at the RDS was incredible but always regretted missing PJ and Neil Young.

Pearl Jam are still the finest band around in my opinion and I intend to follow them around Europe this summer, can't wait.

Met them once (except Eddie) sound bunch of lads.
Keep your friends close & your enemies won't matter

Offline omerta

• Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
    • radiofc.com
« Reply #13 on: March 16, 2006, 03:18:07 pm »
have ya heard anything regarding European dates yet IrishDave?

tried to convince few mates to go to NYC for gig in May but they talked me out of it due to the fact they'll probably play here and also we'll more than likely do a Joxer goes to Stuttgart in September :D

Offline IrishDave

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #14 on: March 16, 2006, 03:40:59 pm »
Nah, all I heard was the Carling Weekend rumours but supposedly EV posted on a site saying they weren't doing any festivals but are definitely coming over.

Would rather see them do their own show anyway.

Offline omerta

• Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
    • radiofc.com
« Reply #15 on: March 16, 2006, 03:59:59 pm »
Nah, all I heard was the Carling Weekend rumours but supposedly EV posted on a site saying they weren't doing any festivals but are definitely coming over.

Would rather see them do their own show anyway.
yeah me too - sound is shite at all outdoor venues in Ireland these days due to environmental noise pollution restrictions...

Offline bellinter

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #16 on: March 16, 2006, 04:12:29 pm »
yeah me too - sound is shite at all outdoor venues in Ireland these days due to environmental noise pollution restrictions...

Who will forget the Chili Peppers doing their own personal rendition of an early Charlie Chaplin film in the Pheonix Park a couple of summers ago!

Offline IrishDave

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #17 on: March 16, 2006, 04:31:12 pm »
I saw them a couple of days later at Murrayfield and if that was anything to go by you were better off not hearing anything.

Offline omerta

• Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
    • radiofc.com
« Reply #18 on: March 16, 2006, 05:29:32 pm »
saw them at sunstroke 94 and nearly fell asleep - excellent musicians but they were so bloody boring - may as well have stuck on the cd.  Helmet and Therapy? on the other hand rocked the house. we only bought tickets to see Soundgarden but they feckin cancelled...

Offline bellinter

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #19 on: March 16, 2006, 05:48:34 pm »
saw them at sunstroke 94 and nearly fell asleep - excellent musicians but they were so bloody boring - may as well have stuck on the cd.  Helmet and Therapy? on the other hand rocked the house. we only bought tickets to see Soundgarden but they feckin cancelled...

Would love to have seen Soundgarden in their prime. Saw Audioslave at the Oxegen festival and they were pretty poor to be fair.

Offline IrishDave

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #20 on: March 17, 2006, 09:05:56 am »

Mate, this is a bit scary now. That is also the exact same situation for me. Was gutted when Soundgarden cancelled as they were the reason I was going. Therapy were fucking amazing that day.

Offline kevindublin

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #21 on: March 17, 2006, 09:28:35 am »

i used to love pearl jam and alice in chains, still listen to them quite regularly.

Alice in Chains will always be one of my top 5 bands, for the rest of my days.
the unplugged DVD gets a viewing at least once a month still.

Offline IrishDave

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #22 on: March 17, 2006, 10:56:04 am »
Alice in Chains will always be one of my top 5 bands, for the rest of my days.
the unplugged DVD gets a viewing at least once a month still.

I see they are touring this summer too with Jerry Cantrell taking over vocals.

Offline MichaelA

• MasterBaker, honey-trapper and 'concerned neighbour'. Beyond The Pale. Vermin on the ridiculous. Would love to leave Ashley Cole gasping for air. Dupe Snoop Extraordinaire. RAWK MARTYR #1. The proud owner of a new lower case a. Mickey Two Sheds.
  • RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
  • At the Academy
  • Super Title: MichaelA
« Reply #23 on: March 17, 2006, 10:58:47 am »
Pearl Jam are so called on account of the fact that they are a pile of wank.

Gareth is absolutely right about Bridget Fonda; I used to watch Scandal and go cross eyed trying to choose between her and Joanne Whalley.

hoonin

« Reply #24 on: March 17, 2006, 11:20:05 am »

I really dont think you are in a position to make such bold statements, you've got two Dexy's albums in your top 20.

:lmao

Offline kevindublin

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #25 on: March 17, 2006, 11:54:00 am »
I see they are touring this summer too with Jerry Cantrell taking over vocals.

Is that for certain?

Offline Neil D

• The new Kop pin-up model. Met Momo in the ASDA.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #26 on: March 17, 2006, 12:00:42 pm »
Is that for certain?

They played this gig the other day mate:

Launch Radio Networks reports: The surviving members of ALICE IN CHAINS returned to the stage for only the second time since 1996 on Friday night (March 10) at the Trump Taj Mahal resort in Atlantic City, New Jersey, for the taping of a new episode of the VH1 Classic series "Decades Rock Live!". The show, a tribute to HEART, also featured appearances by former JANE'S ADDICTION guitarist Dave Navarro, "American Idol" winner Carrie Underwood and singer/songwriter Rufus Wainwright, as well as HEART itself. But aside from the headliners, it was clearly ALICE IN CHAINS that a large portion of the crowd was there to see, judging from the fanatical audience reaction.

ALICE IN CHAINS opened the evening with a four-song set. COMES WITH THE FALL singer William DuVall, who has also performed in ALICE guitarist Jerry Cantrell's solo band, sang the first two songs, "Angry Chair" and "Man In The Box".

For "Them Bones" and "Would?" ALICE IN CHAINS brought out ex-PANTERA vocalist Philip Anselmo, making one of his rare live appearances since the death of former PANTERA guitarist "Dimebag" Darrell Abbott in December of 2004.

VELVET REVOLVER bassist Duff McKagan joined the group on second guitar for its entire set, which the band dedicated to Abbott and late ALICE IN CHAINS frontman Layne Staley, who died in 2002.

ALICE IN CHAINS returned at the end of the night for "Rooster", to which HEART singer Ann Wilson contributed vocals. Cantrell, McKagan and Navarro stuck around to join HEART on "Barracuda".

ALICE IN CHAINS bassist Mike Inez pulled double duty, playing for both ALICE IN CHAINS and HEART.

The show is scheduled to premiere on VH1 Classic on May 5.

The reunited group will tour this summer, although it has not been determined if it will use one vocalist or a rotating cast. European festival dates have been confirmed, with U.S. club shows likely for the end of May and a full North American trek possible for the fall.

The band, which also features Sean Kinney on drums, performed for the first time in nine years at a tsunami benefit in Seattle in February of 2005, where they were joined on vocals by Ann Wilson, TOOL frontman Maynard James Keenan, PUDDLE OF MUDD's Wes Scantlin and others.

Apparently its not been decided yet who will tour with them, one singer or a few on rotation. But they're playing Download festival with GnR, Metallica, Tool, Deftones and the Prodigy! Its some lineup, I'm getting my ticket on Tuesday when I get paid...

Offline kevindublin

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #27 on: March 17, 2006, 12:12:36 pm »
woah that show on the 5th May sounds class.
Phil Anselmo too, I love it.
Gonne put that in my diary, sounds like on not to be missed.

If theyre playing download with Metallica, hopefuly they will join them for the Dublin gig, ive got tickets for that.

Offline Withnail

• Failed anorexic.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #28 on: March 18, 2006, 11:25:59 am »
Is that for certain?
nnnoooooo !!!!  :no it won't be the same without staley. that is the worst decision since ian astbury decided he would sing for the doors.

Offline Deadlogic

• Legacy Fan
  • Believe
« Reply #29 on: March 18, 2006, 02:50:15 pm »

Fool.

Offline omerta

• Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
    • radiofc.com
« Reply #30 on: March 20, 2006, 03:42:48 pm »
Mate, this is a bit scary now. That is also the exact same situation for me. Was gutted when Soundgarden cancelled as they were the reason I was going. Therapy were fucking amazing that day.

ha ha :D  I guess being of a similar age and into similar tunes the chances were high of these 'coincidences' occurring on this small island - also there weren't quite so many gigs then - the theft of music online has had the great benefit for fans of forcing artists onto the road more than they would like :)

There was some mosh for Therapy? - mind you I don't know if I'd be up to it now - the hamstrings have taken some wear and tear since then!  The only thing that dissappointed me about their set was when they did a medley of their older material - I actually think the stuff they did before "troublegum" was their best - Fyfe Ewing's drumming in particular setting them apart from the rest - those of you reading this who haven't got the album "Nurse" should check it out....

hoonin

« Reply #31 on: March 23, 2006, 11:14:53 pm »

Brrrrr. Oh boy :lickin

Anyway, theres a 30 min "Unplugged" Pearl Jam session on VH2 at 11.30 :wave

Offline ♠Dirty Harry♠

• Michael Pain the tittie-fixated inflatable doll salesman
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #32 on: March 23, 2006, 11:25:03 pm »
nnnoooooo !!!!  :no it won't be the same without staley. that is the worst decision since ian astbury decided he would sing for the doors.

Agreed, although the doors were a pile of wank.

hoonin

« Reply #33 on: March 23, 2006, 11:34:49 pm »
Agreed, although the doors were a pile of wank.

Agreed. Their cover version of Will Youngs Light My Fire was awful!

Offline Withnail

• Failed anorexic.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #34 on: March 24, 2006, 01:34:34 pm »
Agreed. Their cover version of Will Youngs Light My Fire was awful!

;D

Offline IrishDave

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #35 on: April 24, 2006, 10:58:16 am »
Pearl Jam European dates have been announced. They were sneaked out on saturday whilst the rest of us were busy  ;).No other UK dates as yet, but apparently more will be announced soon.

Aug 23 Dublin, Ireland The Point
Aug 25* Leeds, UK Leeds Festival
Aug 27* Reading, UK Reading Festival
Aug 29 Arnhem, Netherlands Geldredome
Aug 30 Antwerp, Belgium Sportpaleis
Sept 2 Vitoria, Spain Azkena Rock Festival
Sept 4 Lisbon, Portugal Atlantico Pavillion
Sept 5 Lisbon, Portugal Atlantico Pavillion
Sept 9 Marseille, France Le Dome
Sept 11 Paris, France Bercy
Sept 13 Bern, Switzerland Arena
Sept 14 Bologna, Italy Palamalaguti
Sept 16 Verona, Italy Arena
Sept 17 Milan, Italy Forum
Sept 19 Torino, Italy Palaisozaki
Sept 20 Pistoia, Italy Duomo Square
Sept 23 Berlin, Germany Wuhlheide
Sept 25 Vienna, Austria Stadthalle

Gonna get my ass to the Point anyway. Seeing them in Leeds too. Should be a good week that week.  :)

Offline hoobastanker

• Kopite
  • Ye dirty halien Ye
« Reply #36 on: April 24, 2006, 11:51:33 am »
Cheers mate :wave  The point here i come :)
Xabi for Ireland

Offline bellinter

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #37 on: April 24, 2006, 12:59:50 pm »
Cheers mate :wave  The point here i come :)

will see ya there so!

Cheers for the list Dave..

Offline omerta

• Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
    • radiofc.com
« Reply #38 on: April 24, 2006, 01:42:34 pm »
fcukin excellent news - I joined ten club last year so hopefully this will allow me buy presale tix.

Offline IrishDave

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #39 on: April 24, 2006, 01:57:26 pm »
It fucking better, I've been in the 10 Club for about 4 years and they haven't played in Europe in all that time.

You should be pretty much guaranteed a ticket.