Author Topic: Band of Brothers.  (Read 50760 times)

Online Alan_X

• WUM. 'twatito' - The Cat Herding Firm But Fair Voice Of Reason (Except when he's got a plank up his arse). Gimme some skin, priest! Has a general dislike for Elijah Wood. Clearly cannot fill even a thong! RAWK Resident Muppet. Has a crush o
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
  • Come on you fucking red men!!!
  • Super Title: This is super!
Re: Band of Brothers.
« Reply #120 on: June 2, 2008, 04:10:18 pm »
The music is absolutely superb. Just listening to the title music brings me out in goosebumps:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=50iElH7AS74&feature=related

Sid Lowe (@sidlowe)
09/03/2011 08:04
Give a man a mask and he will tell the truth, Give a man a user name and he will act like a total twat.
Its all about winning shiny things.

Offline Manila Kop

• TRYING HARD TO FIT IN OOTER
  • Legacy Fan
  • The Greatest Fighter in the World
« Reply #121 on: June 2, 2008, 04:42:10 pm »
The music is absolutely superb. Just listening to the title music brings me out in goosebumps:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=50iElH7AS74&feature=related

I'd forgotten about this series, haven't seen it in ages.  The theme manages to be stirring and sad at the same time.

I'll be disappointed if The Pacific doesn't show the Battle of Manila.  ;D
The infallible wank stain
Lolzies. More chance of a wank off the pope than beating United, I'm afraid. It is beyond Benitez, apart from when they were at their lowest ebb, when we knocked them out of the FA Cup. They certainly aren't anywhere near there now.

royhendo

« Reply #122 on: June 2, 2008, 09:56:10 pm »
My favourite moment from the whole series...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W7TuCSnWlJk

Lipton:
At first the Germans didn't shoot at him. I think they couldn't quite believe what they were seeing. But that wasn't the really astounding thing. The astounding thing was that, after he hooked up with I Company, he came back.

Offline cornelius

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • "Beware the beast man, for he is the Devil's pawn"
« Reply #123 on: June 2, 2008, 10:39:52 pm »
I'll be disappointed if The Pacific doesn't show the Battle of Manila.  ;D
As long as they don't get Will fucking Smith to play the part of Muhammed Ali again.

Offline Manila Kop

• TRYING HARD TO FIT IN OOTER
  • Legacy Fan
  • The Greatest Fighter in the World
« Reply #124 on: June 3, 2008, 01:56:25 am »
As long as they don't get Will fucking Smith to play the part of Muhammed Ali again.

;D  That was the Thrilla in Manila, mate.
The infallible wank stain
Lolzies. More chance of a wank off the pope than beating United, I'm afraid. It is beyond Benitez, apart from when they were at their lowest ebb, when we knocked them out of the FA Cup. They certainly aren't anywhere near there now.

Offline mbroon

• would like a clean space - hasn't got one
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #125 on: June 3, 2008, 01:35:17 pm »
Best moving picture ever for me. Can't help but to think I will be disappointed by 'The Pacific'.

Offline hicky56

• Main Stander
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #126 on: June 6, 2008, 10:38:43 pm »
Just finished watching the series for third time - gets better each time.  Finally did my trip to Normandy last year - all the beaches, Pegasus Bridge, Merville Battery, Cemeteries at Colleville (US on in Saving Private Ryan) - German (very Sombre) and Allied (Bayeaux), St mere Eglise, Carentan and others.  Very moving every where seeing bullet holes in buildings still, little junctions/bridges where brave men died. Go if you get the chance good & if you aren't moved by it there is something wrong with you IMO. 

Wish the Beeb or somebody would do a compareable series about the British there at Pegasus/Merville - some of these crack paras stayed there as normal infantry for months and fought through Northen Europe just like Easy Company.   

Thousand of stories like this should humble us all http://news.bbc.co.uk/onthisday/hi/witness/june/6/newsid_3753000/3753397.stm

royhendo

« Reply #127 on: June 6, 2008, 11:03:13 pm »
Just finished watching the series for third time - gets better each time.  Finally did my trip to Normandy last year - all the beaches, Pegasus Bridge, Merville Battery, Cemeteries at Colleville (US on in Saving Private Ryan) - German (very Sombre) and Allied (Bayeaux), St mere Eglise, Carentan and others.  Very moving every where seeing bullet holes in buildings still, little junctions/bridges where brave men died. Go if you get the chance good & if you aren't moved by it there is something wrong with you IMO. 

Wish the Beeb or somebody would do a compareable series about the British there at Pegasus/Merville - some of these crack paras stayed there as normal infantry for months and fought through Northen Europe just like Easy Company.   

Thousand of stories like this should humble us all http://news.bbc.co.uk/onthisday/hi/witness/june/6/newsid_3753000/3753397.stm

That's true mate - the way it's currently portrayed by Hollywood, our stories don't get told nearly enough. That Clarkson one-off on the St Nazaire Raid was good:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/St._Nazaire_Raid

Offline hicky56

• Main Stander
« Reply #128 on: June 6, 2008, 11:22:15 pm »
That's true mate - the way it's currently portrayed by Hollywood, our stories don't get told nearly enough. That Clarkson one-off on the St Nazaire Raid was good:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/St._Nazaire_Raid

I live 9 miles from Falmouth and have had many a reflective moment by the memorial there.  Still its easier to make reality tv and Jane Austen dramas etc than pay tribute to heroes.

royhendo

« Reply #129 on: June 7, 2008, 09:09:53 pm »
I live 9 miles from Falmouth and have had many a reflective moment by the memorial there.  Still its easier to make reality tv and Jane Austen dramas etc than pay tribute to heroes.

sad but true - fingers crossed clarkson meets tom hanks and spielberg in a departure lounge one day soon and we'll get some balance. the sheer audacity of the raid and the sheer devil-may-care bravery shown by all involved takes your breath away.

Offline AdamR

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #130 on: June 9, 2008, 11:00:25 pm »
starting watching this last night

nice start

Offline JohnnyDrama

• hey new members to RAWK: He's a really really annoying feedback tourist and thick. If you dont believe me, he even admitted it himself. Post-match angler
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT 96
« Reply #131 on: June 10, 2008, 12:23:29 pm »

nice start
you will be hooked.

im gonna buy the series once I've finished me exams or I won't get any study done.
Greatest Band in the world.

www.myspace.com/brandnew

Offline vicgill

• "do the simple things but do them well"
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • "Football is the simplest game in the world son,
« Reply #132 on: June 10, 2008, 01:01:18 pm »
I have heard about "Band of Brothers" but never seen it, just the other day my son bought me a box of the DVD's. just listened to the music on that YuTube link, really liked it
"Football is a simple game based on the giving and taking of passes, of controlling the ball and making yourself available to receive a pass, it is really that simple"

"Friend, mourn not, though he premature departs, his wisdom marches on within our hearts"

RIP Ray Osbourne, comrade, epic swindler, and Internet Terrorist Extraordinaire.

royhendo

« Reply #133 on: June 10, 2008, 11:04:59 pm »

nice start

Wait til the start of "Day of Days" mate - the old guys telling you about the prop blasts and how they 'lost a lotta people' - you feel like you've been dropped in with them.

Offline wadey-LFC

• Legacy Fan
  • Round the fields of Anfield Road
« Reply #134 on: June 10, 2008, 11:10:13 pm »
For anybody who wants to see it the box set is only 15quid from hmv and I think is a bargain right there. Watching it for the second time though now.
"Liverpool was made for me and I was made for Liverpool." Bill Shankly

Offline capt k

• aaaaaaaavemaaaaaaaaan!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • id rather be fishing
« Reply #135 on: June 12, 2008, 12:07:46 am »
For anybody who wants to see it the box set is only 15quid from hmv and I think is a bargain right there. Watching it for the second time though now.

Utorrents even cheaper:)

i had the series on my laptop watched it once, superb..

lappy died  recently and now trying to d/load it again at 5kbps. :'( :'(

But its well worth the wait... :D
JFT 96

Offline Mikeebee

• Legacy Fan
  • You've won a Blankety Blank Cheque Book & Pen
« Reply #136 on: June 12, 2008, 05:39:50 am »

Was in Normandy in 99, just before the eclipse, visited a couple of beaches and it's a truly amazing scene to this day, the craters from the allied artillery fire on the German tranches and bunkers are something to behold.  The tide was out and it just makes the mind boggle to think about what happened.  Just one of the things that you should see, and it will make you appreciate more what was done by those brave souls.

Some of Rouen's buildings are the same, bullet "holes"  on a lot of the older buildings, apparently they don't want to repair the brickwork etc. so as to act as a reminder of what happened (not sure if that is true)
JFT 96 YNWA
@mikeebee7

Offline hicky56

• Main Stander
« Reply #137 on: June 12, 2008, 07:28:47 pm »
Mikeebee - was the crater/bunker etc at Pointe de Hoc (where the US rangers scaled the cliffs)?  How anybody survived that on the german side was unbelievable!  Craters 20 foot deep, and smashed reinforced 6ft concrete bunkers smashed like toys and to think the yanks climbed the cliffs. 

i think it is true about leaving the bricks with holes in as a reminder.  I've a photo of a house in Carentan what has an arc of 50mm cannon fire up the side.  Must put some pics up on flickr!

Offline AdamR

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #138 on: June 12, 2008, 08:28:19 pm »
3 episodes in

Fantastic

Well made is an understatement

Some of the Scenes in episode 3 were fantastic

Offline AdamR

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #139 on: June 17, 2008, 05:34:24 pm »
All completed now.  Fantastic.

Part 9 was a good one to watch even if slightly disturbing.  Crazy to think how bad it was in them camps.

Bastogne was another corker of an episode.  Plus i fell for the nurse helping out ha (im sure you all did)

Offline The not so lazy.boy

• Suspected Naturist Shoplifter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Make Us Dream
« Reply #140 on: June 27, 2008, 01:42:07 pm »
Just picked this up in HMV for £20. I have it on my sky+, but the box set is sexier!
Same shit, Different day!

Offline Oddball

• aka 'Steve'. Thinks Autumn is a series. Shite at COD. Search me. Mathematical legend. "Space". Likes to Fuck holmes. Currently sporting a fetching muzzy. Onion Fondler. Blinded by the light. Would like a small larger beer. Can fakh orf
  • RAWK Diva
  • Legacy Fan
  • Woof woof woof
« Reply #141 on: June 28, 2008, 11:09:12 pm »
All completed now.  Fantastic.

Part 9 was a good one to watch even if slightly disturbing.  Crazy to think how bad it was in them camps.

Bastogne was another corker of an episode.  Plus i fell for the nurse helping out ha (im sure you all did)
Part nine is it, its been a good few months. I cant watch that episode...the death camp one. Ive got the box set, and have watched it eight or nine times now (never get bored of it), but after watching it on the beeb when it was 1st shown, ive never been able to watch the death camp episode again. It really got to me.
We may sign Salah, but I'll show my arse in the middle of town if we sign one of VVD or Keita. Not gonna happen.

Offline hicky56

• Main Stander
« Reply #142 on: June 28, 2008, 11:51:39 pm »
Just watched Crossroads & Bastogne again - Awesome - you feel cold just watcing the Bastogne episode.

As an aside Jeremy Clarksons 'Greatest Raid' is on again tomorrow after Top Gear.

Offline alonsoisared

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #143 on: July 9, 2008, 06:21:08 pm »
Only just started watching this, the old man is always on about it so i borrowed the box set from him. I have a feeling i'm going to be like a big girls blouse watching this, i watched part 3 or 4 last night (with Blithe) and felt like bawling my eyes out.

I decided to google him as i was so moved and came across this- http://www.arlingtoncemetery.net/albert-blithe.htm

I thought it was unbelievable what he went on to achieve.

I'm enjoying it so far and will probably have a band of brothers marathon on the weekend  :P

Offline PortlandRed

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #144 on: July 9, 2008, 06:25:32 pm »
The interviews they did with the actual soldiers really added to the story.
"Winning is not a sometime thing" - Vince Lombardi

Offline gazzalfc

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Well done boys, Good Process
« Reply #145 on: July 9, 2008, 06:35:36 pm »
One of the best DVD boxsets you could possibly pick up. Got it for £15 last christmas after watching it when it was on BBC.

Amazing account of WW2. Exciting, moving tale

You cant help but have so much respect for those men/boys back then. I freely admit i couldn't do it. Different times I suppose.

One fact I loved about it. They used more pyrotechnics in the first 2 episodes than was used in the entrie Saving Private Ryan film

If they do half as well with the new series then I will watch it

Offline ollick

• Huge Dick..and a Big Knob too!
  • Legacy Fan
  • Arghhhh
« Reply #146 on: July 9, 2008, 08:52:33 pm »

Al Murray AKA The  Pub Landlord, has done a series going from Normandy all the way to Berlin via the route taken in '44 and '45 very interesting stuff.

Why do people quote other people for the sigs?  What' the point?

Offline Oddball

• aka 'Steve'. Thinks Autumn is a series. Shite at COD. Search me. Mathematical legend. "Space". Likes to Fuck holmes. Currently sporting a fetching muzzy. Onion Fondler. Blinded by the light. Would like a small larger beer. Can fakh orf
  • RAWK Diva
  • Legacy Fan
  • Woof woof woof
« Reply #147 on: July 9, 2008, 11:46:33 pm »
Al Murray AKA The  Pub Landlord, has done a series going from Normandy all the way to Berlin via the route taken in '44 and '45 very interesting stuff.

Aye, i saw that to. Very good.
We may sign Salah, but I'll show my arse in the middle of town if we sign one of VVD or Keita. Not gonna happen.

Offline alonsoisared

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #148 on: July 10, 2008, 07:06:14 pm »
Sobbed like a baby earlier when i finished watching them. I knew the "we band of brothers" speech beforehand so was pretty much prepared but when it was read out at the end i just couldn't stop the tears. Just writing this now made me start again. It was mad, i thought i was all clear when i got through the bit where they found the concentration camp but that bit at the end just really hit me.

Offline Oddball

• RAWK Diva
  • Legacy Fan
  • Woof woof woof
« Reply #149 on: July 10, 2008, 07:31:46 pm »
Sobbed like a baby earlier when i finished watching them. I knew the "we band of brothers" speech beforehand so was pretty much prepared but when it was read out at the end i just couldn't stop the tears. Just writing this now made me start again. It was mad, i thought i was all clear when i got through the bit where they found the concentration camp but that bit at the end just really hit me.
With you there mate. As i have previously said in this thread. I have watched the series many time, but only the concentration camp episode once. The 1st time i saw it on BBC.

Im having an operation on my knee on wednesday, andwill be off my feet for a bit. Thinking i might get the surround sound on the go and watch them again.

Offline Derry-Red

• RAWK Technology Consultant.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #150 on: July 10, 2008, 11:43:03 pm »
Its one of the only series i will watch ANY time its on telly even though i've watched it loads of times on the box set. Sheer quality!!
I'd rather endure a night of sheep sex than have that clueless twat run our club into the ground any longer. You hear that NESV? I'd rather have sheep sex.

Offline Deadlogic

• Legacy Fan
  • Believe
« Reply #151 on: July 11, 2008, 01:30:18 am »

I like the sound of that mate.

What's it called?

Offline dalebert

• Anny Roader
  • The Man In Black
« Reply #152 on: July 17, 2008, 01:33:33 pm »
Just bought the series the other week - what a show!!
You'll Never Walk Alone

Offline JohnnyDrama

• hey new members to RAWK: He's a really really annoying feedback tourist and thick. If you dont believe me, he even admitted it himself. Post-match angler
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT 96
« Reply #153 on: November 9, 2008, 11:44:06 am »
Just watched the whole series in 2 days.

Fucking Boss. Forgotten just how fucking good it was.

If there's ever  a tv series that you must see, this is it.
Greatest Band in the world.

www.myspace.com/brandnew

Offline King Tay

• Kopite
  • F**k Off Lampard!!!
« Reply #154 on: November 9, 2008, 11:48:27 am »
Probably said this before but my mate was the dead german that Malarkey stole the Luger off in the 2nd or 3rd episode, he spent 18 months filming the whole series.

Offline JURGENKLOPP

• Thou shalt not steal. (books, from St. Thomas More Catholic High School)
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT 96
« Reply #155 on: November 9, 2008, 12:05:30 pm »
Started watching it again last week, such a brilliant show
I went to Auschwitz last month so i'm expecting the concentration camp episode to really get me!

Offline Oddball

• RAWK Diva
  • Legacy Fan
  • Woof woof woof
« Reply #156 on: November 9, 2008, 11:47:36 pm »
Just watched the whole series in 2 days.

Fucking Boss. Forgotten just how fucking good it was.

If there's ever  a tv series that you must see, this is it.
You sound like a soundbite in a magazine!

Probably said this before but my mate was the dead german that Malarkey stole the Luger off in the 2nd or 3rd episode, he spent 18 months filming the whole series.
Wow, im so jealous.

Offline Oddball

• RAWK Diva
  • Legacy Fan
  • Woof woof woof
« Reply #157 on: November 10, 2008, 01:04:15 am »
Its getting repeated tomorrow bbc 2 at 11.20pm. No excuse not to see it.

Offline RigBon1892

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Legend
« Reply #158 on: November 10, 2008, 01:12:43 am »
Read the book ages ago, must get round to buyin these...

Phil Barantini, who played Sisk, I believe, was one of my favourite characters in Dream Team when he was in it, I even wrote him a fan letter and he replied  :-[
I'll always keep in my heart the good times I've had here, the strong and loyal support of the fans in the tough times and the love from Liverpool. I have no words to thank you enough for all these years and I am very proud to say that I was your manager.

"Thank you so much once more and always remember: You'll never walk alone
YNWA Rafa.

Offline Oddball

• RAWK Diva
  • Legacy Fan
  • Woof woof woof
« Reply #159 on: November 10, 2008, 01:14:10 am »
Read the book ages ago, must get round to buyin these...
Its getting repeated tomorrow bbc 2 at 11.20pm. No excuse not to see it.