Author Topic: The Anfield Wrap  (Read 3308342 times)

Offline LallanaInPyjamas

• Keita's shit, Bundesliga's shit, Bundesliga 2's shit
  • Legacy Fan
  • RAWK Cheltenham 2020 Champion Tipster*
Re: The Anfield Wrap
« Reply #19240 on: October 22, 2018, 01:51:24 pm »
The fact we’re a really good side probably causes some podcasts to sound repetitive. There’s not really much debate to be had about the manager, players etc. There’s not even major complaints about the owners anymore.

This is also fair, but it doesn't help - and this is just one example - when Henderson goes through a run of poor form and we barely hear a peep about it. That is something negative which could be analysed from a tactical POV (and may well have been in the past), but for whatever reason we've instead had a snarling attitude of denial towards it. Perhaps it is simply a reflection of how wrapped up in social media people are compared to even a few years ago.

Offline craiglfc7

• Main Stander
    • My twitter
« Reply #19241 on: October 22, 2018, 02:22:28 pm »
A few changes we've made recently that have been mentioned in here from from feedback we received -

The feel of the Post Match Show had suffered a little bit at times last season because we had to get back to the studio in town after the game with traffic etc. We've been doing it from TIA this season, it's out quicker, rawer and has a different feel to the free show and review with it being immediately after the game and with the sounds from the pub.

We now put the Friday show out on a Thursday and the Weekender first thing on the Friday to give listeners more time to listen before the game because feedback we received was that quite often listeners didn't get the chance to listen to citytalk before the game. Teamtalk is centred around the press conference and so that has to be after the press conference.

There are quite a lot of people who listen to or consume everything we put out so we'd get in trouble if we cut the number of shows!

Offline FlashGordon

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • RAWK Cheltenham 2021 Champion Tipster*
« Reply #19242 on: October 22, 2018, 08:18:03 pm »
This is also fair, but it doesn't help - and this is just one example - when Henderson goes through a run of poor form and we barely hear a peep about it. That is something negative which could be analysed from a tactical POV (and may well have been in the past), but for whatever reason we've instead had a snarling attitude of denial towards it. Perhaps it is simply a reflection of how wrapped up in social media people are compared to even a few years ago.

Or maybe that's your own prejudices coming to the fore.
So bloody what? If you watch football to be absolutely miserable then go watch cricket.

Offline FlashGordon

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #19243 on: October 22, 2018, 08:20:17 pm »
A few changes we've made recently that have been mentioned in here from from feedback we received -

The feel of the Post Match Show had suffered a little bit at times last season because we had to get back to the studio in town after the game with traffic etc. We've been doing it from TIA this season, it's out quicker, rawer and has a different feel to the free show and review with it being immediately after the game and with the sounds from the pub.

We now put the Friday show out on a Thursday and the Weekender first thing on the Friday to give listeners more time to listen before the game because feedback we received was that quite often listeners didn't get the chance to listen to citytalk before the game. Teamtalk is centred around the press conference and so that has to be after the press conference.

There are quite a lot of people who listen to or consume everything we put out so we'd get in trouble if we cut the number of shows!

I may be being a bit dense here but what is the actual preview show for the upcoming game at the weekend called? Is there just the weekender or is there still a Liverpool specific preview show? Can never find it these days.
So bloody what? If you watch football to be absolutely miserable then go watch cricket.

Offline thekitkatshuffler

• Dreams of John Barrowman's lips, bearded ladies and the origins of mirth. Which he thinks is an abbreviation of "Middle Earth".
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #19244 on: October 22, 2018, 10:34:04 pm »
I may be being a bit dense here but what is the actual preview show for the upcoming game at the weekend called? Is there just the weekender or is there still a Liverpool specific preview show? Can never find it these days.
The only specific preview show is on YouTube.

Podcast-wise you've got the Team Talk (Hiya!), The Friday Show and The Weekender.
David Platt has a face like a Michael Myers mask being stretched over a dinosaur egg.
Aquilani is better than Pele, Maradona, Cruyff, Messi and Beckenbauer put together.

Offline FlashGordon

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #19245 on: October 22, 2018, 10:51:16 pm »
The only specific preview show is on YouTube.

Podcast-wise you've got the Team Talk (Hiya!), The Friday Show and The Weekender.

I'm not losing my mind here though, there used to be a specific preview show just for Liverpool games?

Offline AmanShah21

• May be Frank Colombo. Never seen with Frank Colombo in the same room at the same time. You don’t have to be Sherlock Holmes, do you Miss Marple?
  • Legacy Fan
  • At the end of a storm is a golden sky!
« Reply #19246 on: October 22, 2018, 11:02:45 pm »
I really like there youtube preview show. Its just a much better watch than all the build-up shows from US broadcasters where half the panel couldn't tell their arse from their face. I do agree that the content has gotten a bit stale overall, and two post-match shows on youtube is a bit of an overkill. Overall, still happy with the quality of most of their stuff, but they could maybe try mixing things up a bit by adding different segments. Either way, I'll still be watching and listening cause no matter how repetitive their content, its still much better than the crap we have on TV here. I never thought I'd dislike a Liverpool legend, but listening to Stevie Nicol on ESPN FC can give you brain damage. Add to that the Shaka Hislops and that balding Morono fella, its just awful. NBCs no better either, I've literally stopped watching pre-game buildup shows.

Offline Big Bamber

• Having a lovely time, living the best time of his life
  • Kopite
  • The Dude Abides
« Reply #19247 on: October 22, 2018, 11:04:42 pm »
Apart from the “less is more” point (which I agree with), the feel of the latest ‘Under the Lights’ is a return to what I enjoy from TAW.

Offline Fitzy.

• I before E, except in Dalglish. Thumbs down for thumbs up! Premature ejaculator in the post-match whopper circle jerk. Might be the Rupert Pupkin to Neil Atkinson's Jerry Langford. Wants to know who did this, but may never find out.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Indefatigability
« Reply #19248 on: October 23, 2018, 08:43:12 am »
The issue with this opinion is that it is just that...an opinion. Henderson gets odd reviews that don't always reflect how he has played. It's a strange phenomena. You thinking TAW should go to town on Henderson doesn't mean that they should. It certainly doesn't indicate some kind of reluctance to face the truth about the club captain. It may just mean that the contributors don't want to join in this strange perspective where Henderson is regarded as some kind of liability.

Offline Fitzy.

• I before E, except in Dalglish. Thumbs down for thumbs up! Premature ejaculator in the post-match whopper circle jerk. Might be the Rupert Pupkin to Neil Atkinson's Jerry Langford. Wants to know who did this, but may never find out.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Indefatigability
« Reply #19249 on: October 23, 2018, 08:58:11 am »
On the less is more point. Subscribers don't have to listen to all these shows.

I agree that opinions can repeat themselves across different shows but that's kind of what we're in it for, isn't it? I wrap myself up in LFC-related media from morning to night. That's why I'm on RAWK and it's why I subscribe to TAW. Hearing lads and lasses yapping about Liverpool is why I subscribe. If there are a series of shows that are discussing the club then I accept that opinions will straddle several shows. But I don't think this is so prevalent that it's all I take from these podcasts.

There are shows that I don't listen to, simply because I am too busy and the content isn't massively my cup of tea - Rider, U23s, Liverpool Women, the Coach Home if they're just interviewing a Southampton fan or similar irrelevant club. That's not because they're not good shows in their own right, I just need to prioritise my listening.

The only show I find a bit out of step in terms of quality and insight is AFQ Football. It takes the 'chat down the pub' angle to a level that doesn't necessarily make for good listening. I think the questions are often utterly banal: "Best away pub in Europe?" / "Who would you support if Liverpool didn't exist?" ...unless there's a very good contributor on, there's not much to say here. This show lacks strong structure compared to Wildcards, which is a much better version of a similar format.  TAW is successful because of its structured coherent shows that provide intelligent insight and amusing contributions. AFQ Football usually misses these marks.

Offline LallanaInPyjamas

• Keita's shit, Bundesliga's shit, Bundesliga 2's shit
  • Legacy Fan
  • RAWK Cheltenham 2020 Champion Tipster*
« Reply #19250 on: October 23, 2018, 09:25:43 am »
The issue with this opinion is that it is just that...an opinion. Henderson gets odd reviews that don't always reflect how he has played. It's a strange phenomena. You thinking TAW should go to town on Henderson doesn't mean that they should. It certainly doesn't indicate some kind of reluctance to face the truth about the club captain. It may just mean that the contributors don't want to join in this strange perspective where Henderson is regarded as some kind of liability.

Where did I say they should "go to town on Henderson", or that he is a liability? I think it's a widely held opinion that his form has significantly dipped this campaign compared to the previous two. The stats back up the eye test in this regard, too, and the manager has dropped/rested him on several occasions when that was rarely the case last season. It's far more odd that this has barely been discussed once across dozens of shows, than if it had been discussed at all.

Offline Fitzy.

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Indefatigability
« Reply #19251 on: October 23, 2018, 11:54:56 am »
Where did I say they should "go to town on Henderson", or that he is a liability? I think it's a widely held opinion that his form has significantly dipped this campaign compared to the previous two. The stats back up the eye test in this regard, too, and the manager has dropped/rested him on several occasions when that was rarely the case last season. It's far more odd that this has barely been discussed once across dozens of shows, than if it had been discussed at all.
Apologies if I put words in your mouth.

As far as Henderson is concerned, I’m suggesting that there’s a disproportionate level of negativity regarding his performances. He may have dipped in form but the level of online scrutiny gives an overly negative impression compared to the reality. While Henderson may merit criticism, I think it’s a relative footnote in a season of far greater talking points - indeed, there has been plenty of comments and chat about an array of negative issues:

- the form of Salah
- the cohesiveness of the front three
- the early showings of Keita
- the lack of flair in midfield
- Fabinho’s no show

Rather than there being a refusal to discuss the captain, there’s a possibility that other issues are regarded as being more prescient.

Offline mgs88

• Main Stander
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #19252 on: October 23, 2018, 12:46:49 pm »
I'm not losing my mind here though, there used to be a specific preview show just for Liverpool games?

There was a preview show per game a few years ago but it got canned.  Basically...

Weekender = Replaces Citytalk show that used to go up on a Friday evening.
Team Talk = As it always has been
The Friday Show = Preview of the weekends fixtures for the PL.  Doesn't always cover all games and might not cover Liverpool at all.

Online TepidT2O

• Deffo NOT 9"! MUFC bedwetter. Grass. Folically-challenged, God-piece-wearing, monkey-rubber. Jizz aroma expert. Operating at the lower end of the distribution curve...has the hots for Alan. Bastard. Fearless in transfer windows with lack of convicti
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • Dejan Lovren fan club member #1
« Reply #19253 on: October 23, 2018, 12:54:04 pm »
The coach home is probably my favourite show... great guests, great insight into the depths of despair other fans have...

Ok, I love the Gutter too.  I’ve always thought it was a show TAW probably didn’t want to make but couldn’t afford not to (if that makes any sense?).  Guttman chatting shit for 45 minutes is always worth it ;D but sometimes you get fantastic guests and great insights
« Last Edit: October 23, 2018, 01:05:17 pm by Tepid T₂O »
“Happiness can be found in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light.”
“Generosity always pays off. Generosity in your effort, in your work, in your kindness, in the way you look after people and take care of people. In the long run, if you are generous with a heart, and with humanity, it always pays off.”
W

Offline FlashGordon

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #19254 on: October 23, 2018, 05:56:41 pm »
There was a preview show per game a few years ago but it got canned.  Basically...

Weekender = Replaces Citytalk show that used to go up on a Friday evening.
Team Talk = As it always has been
The Friday Show = Preview of the weekends fixtures for the PL.  Doesn't always cover all games and might not cover Liverpool at all.

Thanks, I was wondering where it went, always thought I just couldn't find it.

Offline Fitzy.

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Indefatigability
« Reply #19255 on: October 24, 2018, 07:54:31 am »
Wildcards is brilliant

Offline Jookie

• Ruptures, then repairs the tears
  • Legacy Fan
  • Muted Al 666's posts for my own sanity
« Reply #19256 on: October 24, 2018, 09:07:13 am »
the feel of the latest ‘Under the Lights’ is a return to what I enjoy from TAW.

Agree with this.

Think it feeds into something someone else had said about the main contributors being diluted across shows. The 'Under the Lights' show didn't have loads of the main contributors but had a feel of them all being mates and being quite relaxed. Felt like i'd listened to a football chat but everyone had had a laugh (contributor and listener).

I think when you have a number of the likes of John G, Andy H, Neil, Rob, Gareth, Mike Nevin, Paul Senior, Ben J, Adam M, Mo, Craig on a show then you get that same feel. I'm not saying that these are the only worthwhile contributors. Far from it but I think you need a number of them on each show to get the right vibe for a show.

For me, TAW is at it's best when it feels like you are listening in on a group of mates chatting football down the pub or in a cafe the morning after the game. Sometimes it'll be heated, sometimes you'll agree with each other, sometimes it'll veer off in it's discussion, but it would always feel relaxed. For me, I'm really happy with my TAW subscription but there have been a few shows over the last few months that don't have that relaxed, mates discussing football vibe. It's almost felt like 3 or 4 disparate people thrown together to discuss football. I think that results in some shows losing that bit of magic that sets TAW apart from other Liverpool podcasts.
I think Jookie might just be the best fisherman on this thread.

Offline lamonti

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #19257 on: October 24, 2018, 02:07:46 pm »
Would second the constructive criticisms that things are being spread too thin and the quality of the shows suffers somewhat as a result.

Offline Andy_lfc

• Kopite
« Reply #19258 on: October 24, 2018, 02:35:38 pm »
The fact we’re a really good side probably causes some podcasts to sound repetitive. There’s not really much debate to be had about the manager, players etc. There’s not even major complaints about the owners anymore.

I agree with this point - if I was asked to name one specific show on TAW that sticks in my memory it was the one discussing whether Kenny should be replaced as manager. It was fraught and emotional - you could feel the tension and how conflicted many of the contributors were.

When times are good and the club is settled, there are only so many interesting ways to describe how good and settled we are.

Offline Fitzy.

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Indefatigability
« Reply #19259 on: October 24, 2018, 04:00:19 pm »
I agree with this point - if I was asked to name one specific show on TAW that sticks in my memory it was the one discussing whether Kenny should be replaced as manager. It was fraught and emotional - you could feel the tension and how conflicted many of the contributors were.

When times are good and the club is settled, there are only so many interesting ways to describe how good and settled we are.
That said, Twitter is trying really hard to make an issue about virtually everything.

Online Dench57

• Self-confessed tit. Can't sit still. She's got the hippy hippy crack.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #19260 on: October 24, 2018, 05:07:11 pm »
Wildcards is brilliant

Belter, great line-up. Haven't laughed that much at a TAW in ages

"You enjoy your memories though"

"ya daft racist"
Loving Everton's business this summer. Here's an early call - they finish above Liverpool this season.
- Richard Keys (@richardajkeys) July 9, 2017

Offline Fitzy.

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Indefatigability
« Reply #19261 on: October 25, 2018, 07:40:06 am »
Belter, great line-up. Haven't laughed that much at a TAW in ages

"You enjoy your memories though"

"ya daft racist"

Hahaha.

The Pink is also great...sweary nonsense.

Offline Grobbelrevell

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry & ignorance
    • The Grobbelramble
« Reply #19262 on: October 25, 2018, 07:51:32 am »
Last weeks AFQ was a belter. Some proper spit your tea (if I drank tea) out moments. Best one I've heard in a long time, and I think (almost mirroring some of the opinions in here) a lot of this came down to Rob, Ben Johnno and Gibbo all being on. Still a great listen when it's on form.
Twitter | Blog

TRADE COUNT: +19  /  SoS Member 6854

Offline bravarado7

• Anny Roader
  • Getting started. Aim to keep going.
« Reply #19263 on: October 27, 2018, 07:10:08 pm »
Heard the post match show and felt the criticism was unfair considering some of the factors going into this game. It might be one of those after-the-game immediate reactions because otherwise the views are generally well-balanced. We were coming off the back of a midweek game and majority of our players have been playing 2 games a week if you include the international break. The manager even pointed this out explaining why Shaq started from the bench. On one side we have to play all our important players while on the other we have to identify games where they need to be given a rest. Then we also have to keep in mind that some of the squad players have to be given a chance. Games against the likes of Cardiff are perfect I felt to balance those type of scenarios. I think the plan going into this game was always around getting an early lead and then conserve energy and hit them on the break. Also, bring on the first 11 players only if needed. Cardiff were lucky to get a deflected goal but outside of that they dint even have a sniff. And when they scored, we went up a couple of gears and showed our quality. 
Law of the Premier League: The Sum of Hypocrisy, Selfishness, C***tism and Double Standards is equal to the product of FA, Media, SAF, Howard Webb and Patrice Evra.

Offline JackWard33

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • President of the Harry Wilson fanclub
« Reply #19264 on: October 27, 2018, 07:13:52 pm »
That post match podcast was the equivalent of booing Rafa's lot after the 0-0 draw to go top

Feels like some of TAW and the LFC fan base have had their brains broken by Man City's 100 points at the moment

Offline Solomon Grundy

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • LFC - Living rent-free in the heads of our rivals
« Reply #19265 on: October 27, 2018, 07:24:14 pm »
Love listening to Damien Kavanaugh. Old school red who talks so much sense.

Offline Raaphael

• A fucking embarrassment. Hot 4 Andrew Tate. Works out so beware wokies
  • Legacy Fan
  • Oh yeah? Well fuck you too Greta Gerwig
« Reply #19266 on: October 27, 2018, 07:26:44 pm »
Thought Senior was the only one I agreed with.

Don't think fans have any right to be furious after a 4-1 win. And at 1-0? Just think the players decided that it wasn't necessary to do more or run themselves into the ground  because Cardiff didn't seem to want to play.

Offline Solomon Grundy

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #19267 on: October 27, 2018, 08:03:37 pm »
Yeah, didn't get the annoyance over the performance really.

Too much comparing ourselves to Man City as well. We need to stop focusing on them so much.
« Last Edit: October 27, 2018, 08:07:46 pm by Solomon Grundy »

Offline Il Conte

• Kopite
« Reply #19268 on: October 27, 2018, 08:28:00 pm »
Thought the "we missed Henderson out there today" take was hilarious tbf. But yeah, a bit too negative for me.

Online Crosby Nick

• He was super funny. Used to do these super hilarious puns
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #19269 on: October 27, 2018, 08:36:55 pm »
I haven’t listened yet and not seen the game properly. I’m also normally the least critical person of our team and while I do t agree I think I can understand that view.

Rightly or wrongly City have changed how we view things. To win this league we have to be virtually flawless against the bottom 14. Not winning today would have been unthinkable, especially at 2 up. We’d all be pig sick had we not won. Thankfully we did and even at 1-0 it sounded we were in control, just could t get what we thought would be the killer second.

Basically it sounds like overly harsh criticism but really it just shows how far we’ve come and how high the standards are for us now. Makes every game feel like a must win and means we might get flak for ‘only’ being one ahread with 15 to go in some games. We need to embrace that though if we want to see ourselves as genuine contenders.

Beats moaning about him defeats to Blackpool and co!

Offline Solomon Grundy

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #19270 on: October 27, 2018, 08:37:42 pm »
Thought the "we missed Henderson out there today" take was hilarious tbf. But yeah, a bit too negative for me.

The post-match pint was miles better with Robbo, Damien Kavanaugh and Johnny Milburn.

Offline Destiny

• Main Stander
« Reply #19271 on: October 27, 2018, 08:38:26 pm »
Post match reaction was baffling, to be honest the content has been stale for months, nothing remotely riveting.  To when it first started the quality has dipped. Today just felt like a desperate attempt like Arsenal Fan Tv to moan for the sake or it.

Offline SerbianScouser

• Far from world class.
  • Legacy Fan
  • ...All the best
« Reply #19272 on: October 27, 2018, 08:39:20 pm »
Thought the "we missed Henderson out there today" take was hilarious tbf.
Haha, they really are funny guys.

Online Dench57

• Self-confessed tit. Can't sit still. She's got the hippy hippy crack.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #19273 on: October 27, 2018, 09:11:38 pm »
"horse shit"
"disgraceful"
"fucking crap"

Seems a bit much like
Loving Everton's business this summer. Here's an early call - they finish above Liverpool this season.
- Richard Keys (@richardajkeys) July 9, 2017

Offline Kashinoda

• More broken biscuits than made of crisps
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • ....mmm
« Reply #19274 on: October 27, 2018, 09:18:45 pm »
"horse shit"
"disgraceful"
"fucking crap"

Seems a bit much like

Probably the worst post match show I've ever listened to.

Might as well have booed the team off.
:D

Offline vagabond

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #19275 on: October 27, 2018, 09:47:42 pm »
That was such a horrible listen. Really disappointed in Neil, just goes to show, not even Neil should be put on a pedestal.
Sometimes a man stands up during supper
and walks outdoors, and keeps on walking,
because of a church that stands somewhere in the East.
---Rilke

Offline realtarragona

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #19276 on: October 27, 2018, 10:00:17 pm »
I didn’t agree with the extent of the criticism but can see where they’re coming from. We didn’t have a shot on goal for about 30 mins after the first which isn’t great when having 85% possession. Even if I did completely disagree though who cares, people will have different opinions. Compare it with their other post match show which had a different outlook on it.

Offline slotmachine

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #19277 on: October 27, 2018, 10:36:35 pm »
I havent listened to it but i seen a clip on the twitter and i agreed with Neil and the other lad who were criticising the performance. I thought we played well first 20 and then were just sloppy and not aggressive enough up until the subs came on mid second half. We have to have a killer instinct if we want to win the big trophies and with our firepower we should be putting teams to the sword. This is not big picture criticism because the club, managers, players and fans are in a great way and progressing nicely but i understand and agree with the frustration that Neil showed on that clip and in his match review. We had an opponent on the ropes and we were going through the motions for too long in today's game. It is fantastic work though to win 3 games in a week and to have a full 7 day break before a massive Arsenal game.

Offline NotTooXabi12

• NotTooCheery
  • Main Stander
« Reply #19278 on: October 27, 2018, 10:44:34 pm »
Wrap has been getting progressively worse for a while now. Hardly surprising when you look at some of the newer contributors

Offline CarraG238

• RAWK Supporter
  • Kopite
« Reply #19279 on: October 27, 2018, 11:24:24 pm »
A big fan of the Wrap, but thought the Post-Match Show was unbelievably over the top. Liverpool has struggled to beat teams like Cardiff in the past looking to frustrate and hold out for a draw.

Aside from a fluke deflection that gifted Cardiff a goal, it was fairly comfortable.
“It was the first game of the qualifying for us and well we can take a lot from it ,like I was talking to one of the guys from TNS about my internet connection at home and he said the reason I sometimes can't get on is because I am running the wrong browser with Windows 95 and he suggested I update to Windows XP” - 23 Carra Gold