Author Topic: The Stone Roses  (Read 22636 times)

hoonin

Re: The Stone Roses
« Reply #40 on: July 25, 2006, 09:00:20 am »
Great post, Gareth: that's exactly what I was thinking of. There was a cultural shift at the time, and the Roses were at the vanguard of that; apart from their music, which was a big "fuck you" to all of the shit music in the 80's, there was something intangible about them that you had to be there at the time to of experienced. That was why it was so disappointing to see them fuck it all up after what happened with Silvertone, their record label, and the 5 year hiatus at the end of which they produced half an album.

Cheers. It was a pure stream of consciousness really, made worse by the fact me curry was getting cold ;D Wasn't sure if it made much sense really.

I cant see the Roses ever getting back together. Their boat has sailed unfortunately and they missed it. Pissed me off to think what a f'ing disaster they turned out to be, with the gap between the albums and the antics they got up to in between. Even more sad to see Brown carry it all after the other 3 bailed out.

Music has moved on now and if they came back and tried to re-create what has happening at the turn of the decade then I suspect they'll only disappoint. That said though, theres still an air about Brown as a frontman and Squire, Mani and particularly Reni are surely still as accomplished and probably more polished musicians than they were 10 years ago.

Who knows, they could come up with something better ;)

Offline pascoli

• Shit Googler & Easily Amused Bar Steward...
  • Legacy Fan
  • PER ARDUA AD ASTRA
« Reply #41 on: July 25, 2006, 10:01:40 am »
I think the second comin album is superb too, love the previouslyt mentioned ten storey love song, think tightrope is an absolutely fantastic song, and one other that slips my mind at the moment "let me put you in the picture, let me show you how i feel, the messiah is my sister aint no king man she's my queen (i had a dream i seen the light don't let it out cos its alright yeah she's my sister)"
anyone remember the name of that one?
INTERNET TERRORIST. AND PROUD TOO.

Offline 7777

• RAWK Boxing Prediction League Champion 07
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We see things they'll never see
« Reply #42 on: July 25, 2006, 10:04:19 am »
Love Spreads

Offline pascoli

• Shit Googler & Easily Amused Bar Steward...
  • Legacy Fan
  • PER ARDUA AD ASTRA
« Reply #43 on: July 25, 2006, 10:05:30 am »
aaaaah thats the one "love spreads her arms, waits here for a second" or somethin similar, love that tune blastin outta me car!!
INTERNET TERRORIST. AND PROUD TOO.

Offline The Bill Hicks Appreciation Society

• It's not much I know, but this is the best Barney could come up with at short notice. Too tight to buy his own cross-dressing gear. AKA 'Condomhead'. Has apparently had Elton John.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Lest we forget
    • Check out my RedmenTV Blogs
« Reply #44 on: July 25, 2006, 10:06:03 am »
'love spreads' around :D
Please take a look at my latest blog for theredmentv "Dispelling the Rodgers/Martinez myth" http://www.theredmentv.com/blog/p/263 All other blogs can be read at www.theredmentv.com/blog Let me know your thoughts

Offline crownpaints

• Billy Lidl
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Merseyrail stinks of shit
« Reply #45 on: July 25, 2006, 10:43:22 am »
Love Spreads

Also known as 'the greatest comeback song ever' according to Bobby Gillespie. And me.
Mighty Reds

Offline 7777

• RAWK Boxing Prediction League Champion 07
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We see things they'll never see
« Reply #46 on: July 25, 2006, 12:44:51 pm »

Offline davidg

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #47 on: July 25, 2006, 01:06:38 pm »
My favourite song from Second Coming is Tears, fantastic.
' When you over simplify, you become unjust ' - Ernest Hemingway

Offline paddy-d

• Main Stander
  • "Ow d'you do mayte!"
« Reply #48 on: July 25, 2006, 03:24:46 pm »
The Stone Roses dragged British music out of the doldrums. It made kids pick up guitars again after the dross that was eighties, Stock/Aitken/Waterman infested garbage.

I was only ten when that first album was released but I bought it purely because I thought the songs were great. It was the first album I ever bought and it's still the one I treasure the most.

I'll always say that Oasis are "my" band purely because of the age I was(15) when Definately Maybe was released. That was when I started to take a serious interest. Liam Gallagher says that it was after watching Ian Brown peform that he decided to form his first band "Rain" later to become Oasis.

I hope the Roses don't reform purely because I don't want anything to tarnish the magic that is that first album and to a lesser extent, The Second Coming, which I think people are only just beginning to appreciate.   
"Ive been mad for fucking years, absolutely years, I've been over the edge for yonks..."

Offline davidg

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #49 on: July 25, 2006, 03:33:13 pm »
The Stone Roses dragged British music out of the doldrums. It made kids pick up guitars again after the dross that was eighties, Stock/Aitken/Waterman infested garbage.

I was only ten when that first album was released but I bought it purely because I thought the songs were great. It was the first album I ever bought and it's still the one I treasure the most.

I'll always say that Oasis are "my" band purely because of the age I was(15) when Definately Maybe was released. That was when I started to take a serious interest. Liam Gallagher says that it was after watching Ian Brown peform that he decided to form his first band "Rain" later to become Oasis.

I hope the Roses don't reform purely because I don't want anything to tarnish the magic that is that first album and to a lesser extent, The Second Coming, which I think people are only just beginning to appreciate.  

Interesting, I got into the Roses the other way around. I found the Stone Roses after getting into Oasis, it felt like a graduation to a infinitely better band to be honest...

Offline rednick75

• Begets Rednich85
  • Anny Roader
  • If the shit fits, wear it!
    • Rednick75 Youtube
« Reply #50 on: July 25, 2006, 03:35:05 pm »
Love The Stone Roses.  She Bangs the Drums is one of my fave tunes ... love the lines "Kiss me where the sun dont shine, the past was yours but the futures mine ...."

Reminds me of when I stuck 2 fingers up at my last employers and quit ....

Offline paddy-d

• Main Stander
  • "Ow d'you do mayte!"
« Reply #51 on: July 25, 2006, 03:57:51 pm »
Interesting, I got into the Roses the other way around. I found the Stone Roses after getting into Oasis, it felt like a graduation to a infinitely better band to be honest...
You're right. I think The Roses ARE a better band. It's just that I've always felt I was too young at the time to appreciate it and it was only after gettin into Oasis that I fully understood just how fuckin great The Roses were!
"Ive been mad for fucking years, absolutely years, I've been over the edge for yonks..."

hoonin

« Reply #52 on: July 27, 2006, 12:56:11 pm »
By the way, in my opinion, Second Coming was by and large a shit piece of music.

Hmmm, have had this back on heavy rotation at home and on my portable player. My opinions changed drastically since I last listened to it, which was probably back in the late 90's?

Second Coming is a tremendous album, and rewards repeated listens...

Would agree with that. Theres many more tunes on there now that are giving me a different perspective on the record. Seems to me Squire had a controlling influence on the overal direction of this album as theres a lot of nods and winks to the bands/guitarists that he's supposed to take inspiration from.

That said though, theres also some great little moments in there from Mani and Reni, particularly on Straight To The Man and also Begging You (which I think would have been a huge hit back in 1989, with its breaks style drumming). The the album seems poorly produced at times and their talents are sadly lost elsewhere as Squire takes centre stage.

Tears, Love Speads, Straight To The Man and Begging You seemed to have passed me by first time, but am loving these tracks now. Add to these the established tracks of Breaking into Heaven and Ten Storey Love Song and its a good little LP :)

It isnt as good as their first album, but at least they should be credited for not trying to make a carbon copy of it. I think thats what I expected and wanted back in 1995 when 2nd coming was releaed. Ultimately it would have been a bad idea to try and repeat a moment in time / culture that had moved on.
« Last Edit: July 27, 2006, 12:57:47 pm by Gareth »

Offline Ianjaig

• RAWK Supporter
  • Kopite
  • "We had Heighway on the wing..." BEEP BEEP!!
« Reply #53 on: July 27, 2006, 01:46:56 pm »
Hmmm, have had this back on heavy rotation at home and on my portable player. My opinions changed drastically since I last listened to it, which was probably back in the late 90's?

Would agree with that. Theres many more tunes on there now that are giving me a different perspective on the record. Seems to me Squire had a controlling influence on the overal direction of this album as theres a lot of nods and winks to the bands/guitarists that he's supposed to take inspiration from.

That said though, theres also some great little moments in there from Mani and Reni, particularly on Straight To The Man and also Begging You (which I think would have been a huge hit back in 1989, with its breaks style drumming). The the album seems poorly produced at times and their talents are sadly lost elsewhere as Squire takes centre stage.

Tears, Love Speads, Straight To The Man and Begging You seemed to have passed me by first time, but am loving these tracks now. Add to these the established tracks of Breaking into Heaven and Ten Storey Love Song and its a good little LP :)

It isnt as good as their first album, but at least they should be credited for not trying to make a carbon copy of it. I think thats what I expected and wanted back in 1995 when 2nd coming was releaed. Ultimately it would have been a bad idea to try and repeat a moment in time / culture that had moved on.

Good post.

I think another factor why Second Coming is percieved as not such a great album by some, is the long delay between its release and the debut album. Expectations had built up to such an extreme that no matter what was released it was always going to be bit of a disappointment (naming the album the second coming probably didn’t help either).

John Squires obsession with Led Zepplin et al and unecessary guitar solos also spoilt it somewhat. Remember reading an interview with Ian Brown where he stated that throughout the production John Squire was continually watching live gigs of Led Zep. Brown alledgedly told Squire over and over that the Stone Roses were better than LZ and that he should stop watching that stuff and find his own inspiration.
Bill Shankly to a Liverpool fan:
"Where are you from?"
"I'm a Liverpool fan from London."
"Well laddie . . . . What's it like to be in heaven?"

hoonin

« Reply #54 on: July 27, 2006, 02:06:28 pm »
And Squire famoulsy called Ian Brown a "Tuneless knob" ;D

Offline davidg

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #55 on: July 27, 2006, 02:29:27 pm »
There is no debate about the first album though is there, without doubt one of the greatest records ever made.

Never made them much money though...

Offline Sarge

• Fine with being a Fucker. He's a lovable rouge
  • Legacy Fan
  • Boom!
« Reply #56 on: July 28, 2006, 10:04:41 pm »

It was truly a horrendous time for popular music in my opinion, an absolute wasteland of disposable synth pop bands and overblown, overaged Middle Of The Road shite. Am sure there was better stuff out there, but I had no idea how to find it and pretty much had to settle for the traditional outlets such as the Radio and TV shows.

For me personally, The Stone Roses and also Guns N Roses were the two most important bands in the transition from the 80's to the 90's in terms of popular music. For anyone who doesnt believe that, just have a look at the sort of bands that comprised the charts in the early 90's and compare then them to the ones I posted above.

Spot on Gareth cannot disagree with any of that. The late 80's charts had some absolutly horrendus stuff mostly spawning from the Stock Aiken & Waterman camp, woefull.
Y.N.W.A.

Offline hooded claw

• Foiled by the Anthill Mob
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
    • The Plate Licked Clean
« Reply #57 on: July 29, 2006, 12:25:05 am »
STONE ROSES TO REFORM! Mani just admitted it on C4.

• It's not much I know, but this is the best Barney could come up with at short notice. Too tight to buy his own cross-dressing gear. AKA 'Condomhead'. Has apparently had Elton John.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Lest we forget
« Reply #58 on: July 29, 2006, 12:29:22 am »

properly with all members of the band?
Please take a look at my latest blog for theredmentv "Dispelling the Rodgers/Martinez myth" http://www.theredmentv.com/blog/p/263 All other blogs can be read at www.theredmentv.com/blog Let me know your thoughts

Offline hooded claw

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
    • The Plate Licked Clean
« Reply #59 on: July 29, 2006, 12:30:20 am »

Offline davidg

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #60 on: July 29, 2006, 12:50:33 am »

GENUINE?

Offline hooded claw

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
    • The Plate Licked Clean
« Reply #61 on: July 29, 2006, 12:52:20 am »
GENUINE?

Aye- he even named the date for the reunion.

Offline davidg

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #62 on: July 29, 2006, 12:56:15 am »

Fucking Hell! That is amazing!

Offline The 5th Benitle

• Mitch Fenner and Gerry Francis' biggest fan. Karaoke James - The Sausagefest Superhero. A soldier not a Capo di tutti capi. Clapham Stalker. RAWK X Factor Winner 2011. The poor man's Sarge!
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
  • Read, then post...
« Reply #63 on: July 29, 2006, 01:27:00 am »
The Third Coming?  ;D

hoonin

« Reply #64 on: July 29, 2006, 01:41:34 am »

2045?

Any reunion would have to be to produce new material. I'd hate to see them get back just to be a glorified cover band of...errr..well...themselves!

Offline TheRedBaron

• Mock Conkey
  • Legacy Fan
  • Dont Fuck With Guillem Balague!
« Reply #65 on: July 29, 2006, 01:41:41 am »
He said they'd reform when man city win the champions league then he said it was a disgrace asking him that question infront of bobby and primal scream are his boys now.
'Jimmy, I get home, I shut the curtains and I sleep'.

- Mascherano after running out of petrol, forgetting his money then being hit in his car on his way home

Offline hooded claw

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
    • The Plate Licked Clean
« Reply #66 on: July 29, 2006, 09:19:24 am »
He said they'd reform when man city win the champions league then he said it was a disgrace asking him that question infront of bobby and primal scream are his boys now.

Knob'ed- I had 'em on the hook there.  :P

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Lest we forget
« Reply #67 on: July 29, 2006, 09:22:20 am »
I think the 'Don't Look Back' organisers should have a word

Offline TheRedBaron

• Mock Conkey
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #68 on: July 29, 2006, 12:12:50 pm »
get the old pic of nick cave back claw, i miss it :( you were a different man back then..a much better man!

- Mascherano after running out of petrol, forgetting his money then being hit in his car on his way home

Offline hooded claw

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
    • The Plate Licked Clean
« Reply #69 on: July 29, 2006, 12:56:48 pm »
get the old pic of nick cave back claw, i miss it :( you were a different man back then..a much better man!

:D

:wave

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Lest we forget
« Reply #70 on: July 29, 2006, 01:01:06 pm »

:wave

is that avatar from city of lost children?

Offline hooded claw

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
    • The Plate Licked Clean
« Reply #71 on: July 29, 2006, 01:02:44 pm »
is that avatar from city of lost children?

The current NC one, or the just-disappeared-one? No to the first, you may be 'good but not right' if it's the second...

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Lest we forget
« Reply #72 on: July 29, 2006, 01:03:38 pm »
The current NC one, or the just-disappeared-one? No to the first, you may be 'good but not right' if it's the second...

the second, hadn't refreshed my cache

Offline The 5th Benitle

• Mitch Fenner and Gerry Francis' biggest fan. Karaoke James - The Sausagefest Superhero. A soldier not a Capo di tutti capi. Clapham Stalker. RAWK X Factor Winner 2011. The poor man's Sarge!
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
  • Read, then post...
« Reply #73 on: July 29, 2006, 01:03:48 pm »
This thread has prompted a change of avatar for me...

Offline hooded claw

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
    • The Plate Licked Clean
« Reply #74 on: July 29, 2006, 01:04:36 pm »
the second, hadn't refreshed my cache

That's from Jeunet and Caro's other masterpiece, Delicatessen...Louison the clown.  :wave

Offline Walter Sobchak

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Calmer than you are
« Reply #75 on: July 29, 2006, 01:06:58 pm »
Knob'ed- I had 'em on the hook there.  :P

why i oughta...
im shaking my fist furiously at you as i type

Offline hooded claw

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
    • The Plate Licked Clean
« Reply #76 on: July 29, 2006, 01:08:24 pm »
why i oughta...
im shaking my fist furiously at you as i type

I'd love to believe I'm the first boy you've said that to online...

Offline Walter Sobchak

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Calmer than you are
« Reply #77 on: July 29, 2006, 01:16:58 pm »
I'd love to believe I'm the first boy you've said that to online...

fist, i said fist not wrist

Offline TheRedBaron

• Mock Conkey
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #78 on: July 29, 2006, 01:20:45 pm »
rather have him in primal scream anyway! (RUNS AWAY!)

hoonin

« Reply #79 on: July 29, 2006, 02:55:19 pm »
Swaine, you are a swine! :no