Author Topic: Baltimore Bridge collapses after being hit by cargo ship  (Read 2330 times)

Offline BarryCrocker

• Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
Baltimore Bridge collapses after being hit by cargo ship
« on: March 26, 2024, 07:08:44 am »
News from the US.

BREAKING: Ship collides with Francis Scott Key Bridge in Baltimore, causing it to collapse.

Mass casualties.

https://twitter.com/BNONews/status/1772515766929097088?ref_src=twsrc%5Egoogle%7Ctwcamp%5Eserp%7Ctwgr%5Etweet
And all the world is football shaped, It's just for me to kick in space. And I can see, hear, smell, touch, taste.

Offline TepidT2O

• Deffo NOT 9"! MUFC bedwetter. Grass. Folically-challenged, God-piece-wearing, monkey-rubber. Jizz aroma expert. Operating at the lower end of the distribution curve...has the hots for Alan. Bastard. Fearless in transfer windows with lack of convicti
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • Dejan Lovren fan club member #1
Re: Baltimore Bridge collapses after being hit by cargo ship
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2024, 07:13:57 am »
Those  poor people.  I hope it’s better than it first appears.
“Happiness can be found in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light.”
“Generosity always pays off. Generosity in your effort, in your work, in your kindness, in the way you look after people and take care of people. In the long run, if you are generous with a heart, and with humanity, it always pays off.”
W

Offline John C

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2024, 07:59:19 am »
News from the US.
BREAKING: Ship collides with Francis Scott Key Bridge in Baltimore, causing it to collapse.
Mass casualties.
https://twitter.com/BNONews/status/1772515766929097088?ref_src=twsrc%5Egoogle%7Ctwcamp%5Eserp%7Ctwgr%5Etweet
I hope people get out safely.
It's a blessing it happened in the middle of the night, it really could have been a human tragedy.

But that is a fucking mess, a bridge 1.6 miles long must be a significantly important bit of infrastructure to the area.
How the fuck do you clear that mess up and build a new bridge!

« Last Edit: March 26, 2024, 08:06:43 am by John C »

Offline TSC

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2024, 09:07:57 am »
Watched the live footage of it.  Bizarre how it happened.  The (large) container ship seemed to just steer into the support structure of the bridge.

Offline Ray K

• Loves a shiny helmet. The new IndyKalia.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Truthiness
« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2024, 09:11:50 am »
How the fuck do you collide into the support pier? It's in every navigation map for 50 years, it's a clear night, and you're a slow moving container vessel.
"We have to change from doubters to believers"

Twitter: @rjkelly75

Offline Red Beret

• Yellow Beret. Wants to sit in the Lobster Pot. Fat-fingered. Key. Boa. Rd. Kille. R. tonunlick! Soggy Knickers King. Bed-Exiting / Grunting / Bending Down / Cum Face Champion 2023.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2024, 09:13:39 am »
Whoever is in charge of that ship will be up on charges. Awful news. :(
I don't always visit Lobster Pot.  But when I do. I sit.

Popcorn's Art

Offline Musketeer Gripweed

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2024, 09:17:47 am »
It's terrible that my first reaction was to ask if it hit on purpose. Sad world we live in.

I hope there are minimum casualties.

Offline kellan

• Inventor of the most evil 'Stepping On Lego' curse. Cross her at your peril! Icelandic Pleasuredrone and a truly, unruly yet outrageous gem.
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7 on: March 26, 2024, 09:22:16 am »
How the fuck do you collide into the support pier? It's in every navigation map for 50 years, it's a clear night, and you're a slow moving container vessel.
The longer videos I've seen show the ship going dark a couple of times while approaching the bridge. Lights going off indicates power issues. Power issues will take out the steering capabilities, until some kind of back up generator kicks in. And ships that size don't maneuver easily even if they have all systems functioning. If the ship lost power, it will have continued drifting forwards and that drift will likely have been dictated by the current of the water. It's also possible that the steering system malfunctioned somehow as a result of the intermittent power or during the crew's attempts to regain control etc and the ship was either put into or locked into a turn that then couldn't be corrected. Unfortunately, there was a bridge support in the direction it went.
« Last Edit: March 26, 2024, 09:33:07 am by kellan »

Online rob1966

• YORKIE bar-munching, hedgehog-squashing (well-)articulated road-hog-litter-bug. Sleeping With The Enemy. Has felt the wind and shed his anger..... did you know I drive a Jag? Cucking funt!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #8 on: March 26, 2024, 11:08:51 am »
Just awful - 1 person in critical condition, at least 7 people missing. Video of it shows it hitting the bridge and the bridge just collapsing.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/live/world-us-canada-68663071

Jurgen, you made us laugh, you made us cry, you made Liverpool a bastion of invincibilty, now leave us on a high - YNWA

Offline rafathegaffa83

• Legacy Fan
  • Dutch Class
« Reply #9 on: March 26, 2024, 11:10:34 am »
Awful news.

Offline [new username under construction]

• Poster formerly know as shadowbane. Never lost his head whilst others panicked. Fucking kopite!
  • Legacy Fan
  • Insert something awesome here!
« Reply #10 on: March 26, 2024, 12:10:24 pm »
And as usual the Internet has a weird perversion of showing the moment of collapse, like people were killed, can you maybe not make a gif of it for your news site

Offline BlackandWhitePaul

• Principled Newcastle fan- who gave up following his team rather than support Saudi takeover
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #11 on: March 26, 2024, 12:14:15 pm »
Just what on Earth were the Captain / Harbour Pilot doing?

It happened 1.30am local time (5.30am UK time) and I imagine if it happened during the day hundreds could have been killed.   :(

Offline Caligula?

• Most Negative poster on site, Moan, Moan, Moan, Liverpool are shite... Does he ever stop
  • Legacy Fan
  • SPQR
« Reply #12 on: March 26, 2024, 12:14:45 pm »
Grim news. Hopefully not many people are injured but that's unlikely given what I've seen.

How long before Trump spins it as something along the lines of "Biden and Democrats have allowed our infrastructure to crumble" etc, etc.

Offline Schmidt

• 's small stretchy scrotum
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #13 on: March 26, 2024, 12:30:08 pm »
Just what on Earth were the Captain / Harbour Pilot doing?

It happened 1.30am local time (5.30am UK time) and I imagine if it happened during the day hundreds could have been killed.   :(

It's been suggested that the ship lost power shortly before the crash and it just drifted into the bridge.

Offline Schmidt

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #14 on: March 26, 2024, 12:32:21 pm »
He tells the public he's going to "Make America Great Again". Now you and I sitting over here can scoff at that however it seems to offer people some kind of hope for something better, a brighter future.

What do the democrats offer? Well it seems it's just more of the same, keep the economy steady and growth will come via the natural dynamics of capitalism. It's too abstract and meaningless to most people, especially those who need a radical uplift in their personal fortune.

There's a reason why conmen, snake oil salesmen and the like prey upon the down at heel; they are more susceptible to fanciful tales because of their desperation. They don't want to hear about GDP going up by 3% or average incomes going up 4%. It means nothing to them and most of it goes into the hands of the very rich anyway.

Trump has many many faults but he understands marketing very well and he understands the limitations of many people and he tailors his language and messages so it can be understood by everyone.

If the Democrats come out and offer free healthcare for all they get slaughtered though. People who would genuinely benefit massively from it over the course of their lives will shoot it down out of fear of a few immigrants enjoying the same benefits.

Offline Yorkykopite

• Misses Danny Boy with a passion. Phil's Official Biographer, dontcherknow...it's all true. Honestly.
  • RAWK Writer
  • Legacy Fan
  • The first five yards........
« Reply #15 on: March 26, 2024, 12:42:11 pm »
Will Trump be able to resist poking fun at Biden over this?
"If you want the world to love you don't discuss Middle Eastern politics" Saul Bellow.

Offline AlphaDelta

• Creepy, geeky, recidivist hose-spotter, checking out the size of your engine as we speak......
  • Legacy Fan
  • People's Republic of Liverpool
« Reply #16 on: March 26, 2024, 12:44:58 pm »
It's like a scene from Final Destination!

Horrendous as it is, it sounds like it could have been way worse.
"I ask that you believe in this team and believe that together we can achieve great things."

• Principled Newcastle fan- who gave up following his team rather than support Saudi takeover
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #17 on: March 26, 2024, 12:56:41 pm »
It's been suggested that the ship lost power shortly before the crash and it just drifted into the bridge.
Ahh okay thanks for that, I haven't been keeping up with the news.

Offline SamLad

• Definitely not a numerologist! Definitely fodder for whimsical modding though... ;) Definitely not 72! Founding member of the Efes Animal Appreciation Society. Very mɪstʃɪvəs.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #18 on: March 26, 2024, 12:59:18 pm »
rumours that the ship lost all navigation power ..... but nothing confirmed at all yet.

Offline Schmidt

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #19 on: March 26, 2024, 01:01:07 pm »
Ahh okay thanks for that, I haven't been keeping up with the news.

Nothing's confirmed yet for the record, but apparently the lights on the ship all went off during the 2-3 minutes before the crash, suggesting some kind of power failure.

Offline meady1981

• Confuses “Scottish” with “Scotch”.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • LEGACY FAN

Offline thaddeus

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #21 on: March 26, 2024, 01:12:17 pm »
I mean, this doesn't read well..
https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2024/mar/26/baltimore-bridge-ship-previous-collision-antwerp-2016
Registered in Singapore, owned by the Greek company Oceanbulk Maritime, chartered by Danish company Maersk, none of the 22 Indian crew on board were Maersk crew or personnel.  That's plenty of different directions to point fingers to make sure nobody is ever held accountable.

It's a small blessing that it happened at night time but nothing about that Guardian article makes me think the same thing couldn't happen this afternoon with another vessel!

Offline Bobsackamano

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #22 on: March 26, 2024, 01:26:59 pm »
If the Democrats come out and offer free healthcare for all they get slaughtered though. People who would genuinely benefit massively from it over the course of their lives will shoot it down out of fear of a few immigrants enjoying the same benefits.

They don't have to offer free anything they just have to offer a vision of America in the future that makes people think things are going to get better for them; and do it in simple, easy to understand terms. The Democrats don't do this.

Everyone laughs at Trump because of his outrageous braggadocio however he knows what he's doing. He's the guy who says he's going to "Make America Great Again". Well to do that you have to be something special, so Trump just makes out he's the best at everything. It's ridiculous but it seems to be working with enough people to make him favourite to be the next president.

So the democrats need to up their game. I'd say they need to replace Biden but that time seems to have past so they need to figure out how to connect with more people than they are doing right now.

Offline Crosby Nick

• He was super funny. Used to do these super hilarious puns
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #23 on: March 26, 2024, 01:35:30 pm »
That footage is unbelievable. Doesn’t look real.

Offline Musketeer Gripweed

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #24 on: March 26, 2024, 01:36:23 pm »

Aye, it's that one.

Devastating for the city and the port in all likelihood.

Online rob1966

• YORKIE bar-munching, hedgehog-squashing (well-)articulated road-hog-litter-bug. Sleeping With The Enemy. Has felt the wind and shed his anger..... did you know I drive a Jag? Cucking funt!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #25 on: March 26, 2024, 01:40:02 pm »
Nothing's confirmed yet for the record, but apparently the lights on the ship all went off during the 2-3 minutes before the crash, suggesting some kind of power failure.

There's a webcam video that caught the whole incident and you can see the lights going on and off on the ship and then the ship turn to the right and hit the bridge. You also see headlights crossing the bridge just before the impact, those going right to left move onto that part of the bridge didn't collapse
Jurgen, you made us laugh, you made us cry, you made Liverpool a bastion of invincibilty, now leave us on a high - YNWA

Offline meady1981

• Confuses “Scottish” with “Scotch”.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • LEGACY FAN

Online fowlermagic

• Ilittarate
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #27 on: March 26, 2024, 01:50:39 pm »
Just was in the States and couldn't believe the increase in cost of living there since I was last there. Of course the whole world has suffered n probably no more so than the developing countries where some countries have seen millions of people struggling below the poverty line. Anyway that's another discussion as was shocked to see the simple things like bread, milk and butter prices about 40% higher than here. A tub of butter was probably $5 - $9 depending on brands and I don't know how the people making minimum wage are surviving. Honestly I thought it was not a great place to live there a few years ago when I resided there, now it's pretty much dire. Not exactly the land of opportunity anymore as between it's politics, lack of safety, an underlying mistrust of each other as everyone seems to be afraid of what's next.... it's a cesspool these days.
I have a simple philosophy: Fill what's empty. Empty what's full. Scratch where it itches. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zi5-V75v-6I

Offline Red Beret

• Yellow Beret. Wants to sit in the Lobster Pot. Fat-fingered. Key. Boa. Rd. Kille. R. tonunlick! Soggy Knickers King. Bed-Exiting / Grunting / Bending Down / Cum Face Champion 2023.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #28 on: March 26, 2024, 02:01:23 pm »
If they were having power problems, why the hell didn't they send a radio message? They have a backup power supply for those, right?

A power issue wouldn't have just happened there on the spot. It must have been an issue for a few trips at least.

Popcorn's Art

Offline Studgotelli

• they have zero understanding of what I’m actually talking about. Got a GCSE in Economics and thinks he knows everything.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #29 on: March 26, 2024, 02:09:45 pm »
Just was in the States and couldn't believe the increase in cost of living there since I was last there. Of course the whole world has suffered n probably no more so than the developing countries where some countries have seen millions of people struggling below the poverty line. Anyway that's another discussion as was shocked to see the simple things like bread, milk and butter prices about 40% higher than here. A tub of butter was probably $5 - $9 depending on brands and I don't know how the people making minimum wage are surviving. Honestly I thought it was not a great place to live there a few years ago when I resided there, now it's pretty much dire. Not exactly the land of opportunity anymore as between it's politics, lack of safety, an underlying mistrust of each other as everyone seems to be afraid of what's next.... it's a cesspool these days.

Many average Americans have no choice but to work multiple jobs to afford to make ends meet but some in here buried their heads in the sand long ago.

Offline red_Mark1980

• Wool ginger runner
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • J.F.T.97

Offline Son of Spion

• "No, I said I was WORKING from home! Me ma's reading this, ya bastids!" Supporter of The Unbrarables. Worratit.
  • RAWK Betazoid
  • Legacy Fan
  • BAGs. 28 Years..What Would The Bullens Wall Say?
« Reply #31 on: March 26, 2024, 02:58:31 pm »
There was footage on the news of the same ship crashing into a dock wall previously.

Horrible stuff with the bridge. Terrible luck that it hit the support structure.
The light that burns twice as bright, burns half as long, and you've burned so very, very brightly, Jürgen.

Offline Jiminy Cricket

• Batshit fucker and Chief Yuletide Porcine Voyeur
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #32 on: March 26, 2024, 03:04:35 pm »
If they were having power problems, why the hell didn't they send a radio message? They have a backup power supply for those, right?

A power issue wouldn't have just happened there on the spot. It must have been an issue for a few trips at least.
Well. It surely could have done. But I expect this will form part of the inevitable investigation.
would rather have a wank wearing a barb wire glove
If you're chasing thrills, try a bit of auto-asphyxiation with a poppers-soaked orange in your gob.

Offline thaddeus

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #33 on: March 26, 2024, 03:06:43 pm »
Good analysis

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qZbUXewlQDk&ab_channel=WhatisGoingonWithShipping%3F
He seems to suggest the ship's master could have done things differently but that's easy with hindsight.  Putting it into reverse when the power came back on is likely what caused it to veer off course and into the bridge pillar when it would otherwise have drifted through.

Offline Statto Red

• Hung like a sperm whale but only around the middle. Proud owner of a couple of spare arms, although is pits pong like the bins, not very appealing. Bambi on ice.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Kloppite
« Reply #34 on: March 26, 2024, 03:12:09 pm »

Apparently the ship's captain did radio in a mayday message the ship was having power issues, but ships of that size don't exactly stop on a sixpence particularly if they lose all power.

https://news.sky.com/story/baltimore-bridge-latest-workers-possibly-in-the-water-as-video-shows-moment-of-collapse-13101977
#Sausages

Offline Ray K

• Loves a shiny helmet. The new IndyKalia.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Truthiness
« Reply #35 on: March 26, 2024, 03:17:21 pm »

@justin_fenton

Gov. Wes Moore confirms that the ship's crew issued a mayday and communicated they were experiencing a power issue, enabling transportation officials to halt traffic over the bridge. "These people are heroes. They saved lives last night," Moore said.
"We have to change from doubters to believers"

Twitter: @rjkelly75

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #36 on: March 26, 2024, 04:26:20 pm »
Putting it into reverse when the power came back on is likely what caused it to veer off course and into the bridge pillar when it would otherwise have drifted through.
Or / and dropping anchor.

Offline Terry de Niro

• Cellar dweller fella, ya know
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Are you talkin' to me or chewin' a brick?
« Reply #37 on: March 26, 2024, 04:32:01 pm »
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/JebyNOvJmCM" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/JebyNOvJmCM</a>

Offline Boston Bosox

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #38 on: March 26, 2024, 04:38:02 pm »
Lucky Escape for a couple of cars there

Offline Red Beret

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #39 on: March 26, 2024, 04:45:42 pm »
Apparently the ship's captain did radio in a mayday message the ship was having power issues, but ships of that size don't exactly stop on a sixpence particularly if they lose all power.

https://news.sky.com/story/baltimore-bridge-latest-workers-possibly-in-the-water-as-video-shows-moment-of-collapse-13101977

@justin_fenton

Gov. Wes Moore confirms that the ship's crew issued a mayday and communicated they were experiencing a power issue, enabling transportation officials to halt traffic over the bridge. "These people are heroes. They saved lives last night," Moore said.

It's good to know the crew was on the ball and alerted the authorities. The ship needs a thorough inspection to find out if this was a pre-existing problem. If corners have been cut on maintenance, then someone is responsible.

Popcorn's Art