Author Topic: Labour Thread * No Gaza *  (Read 91499 times)

Offline Red-Soldier

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Re: NEW Labour Thread* Full of Unicorns and Sunshine and Rainbows :)
« Reply #80 on: November 6, 2023, 12:54:18 pm »
]

What if they dont have a 'legitimate' right to be here?

;)

Offline Kenny's Jacket

• Kenny's Vegan Jacket Potato. Talks more sense than me.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #81 on: November 6, 2023, 01:01:44 pm »

;)

Thats only half my point, Braverman, whos seems to have grown in popularity with some on here (not you Andy)
has criminalised arriving by boat, so regardless of legitimacym they wont have legitimacy

Cooper to the best of my knowledge has suggested she wont reverse that policy.   
As I've said before, the Full English is just the base upon which the Scots/Welsh/NI have improved upon. Sorry but the Full English is the worst of the British breakfasts.

Offline TSC

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #82 on: November 6, 2023, 01:09:40 pm »
Thats only half my point, Braverman, whos seems to have grown in popularity with some on here (not you Andy)
has criminalised arriving by boat, so regardless of legitimacym they wont have legitimacy

I may have missed posts, but which poster/s on here is Braverman popular with?

Offline tubby

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Destroyed Cowboy
« Reply #83 on: November 6, 2023, 01:29:57 pm »

I am also interesting in this information because from what I can see, literally everyone on RAWK hates her guts.  And with good reason.
Sit down, shock is better taken with bent knees.

Offline Kenny's Jacket

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #84 on: November 6, 2023, 01:36:20 pm »

Wanting to ban protests (not this thread)
As I've said before, the Full English is just the base upon which the Scots/Welsh/NI have improved upon. Sorry but the Full English is the worst of the British breakfasts.

Offline thaddeus

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #85 on: November 6, 2023, 02:01:31 pm »
Wanting to ban protests (not this thread)
I know they're pretty much two sides of the same fascism coin but people can hate Braverman's immigration policies whilst endorsing her anti-protest policies.  For what it's worth I think both are horrible and in keeping with everything that she spouts.

From the Labour perspective though they will likely need to find a position that offers fairness to potential migrants but is also quite restrictive if they want to remain electable.  Climate change and global insecurity are only adding to the push factors for migration and the UK is still a desirable destination.  Much of this thread has been about home building and that's something that only has a chance of happening in a managed way in the finite space of the UK if the government have some handle on population size.

Offline PatriotScouser

• Legacy Fan
  • I could agree with you but then we’d both be wrong
« Reply #86 on: November 6, 2023, 02:01:33 pm »
I am also interesting in this information because from what I can see, literally everyone on RAWK hates her guts.  And with good reason.

Everyone on RAWK does hate her guts. But apparently because those protestors who've gone over the edge (see my post in the other thread) should face the consequences of their actions, I apparently want to ban protests and thusly in favour of Cruella.

Offline Sammy5IsAlive

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #87 on: November 6, 2023, 02:06:02 pm »

If I'd understood Labour's policy on this correctly...

At the moment the Tories have ripped up all of their agreements with the EU. The refugees in the camps in Calais have no legitimate means of getting to the UK. Furthermore we now can't relocate people who make it across the channel back to France - only to their country of origin having refused an asylum application.

Labour would enter into an agreement with the EU whereby we would accept a quota of refugees and process their asylum claims (giving them a legitimate means of crossing the channel) in return for being able to return people who arrive illegally back to France.

FWIW I don't think that goes far enough - for me what needs to happen is for a system to be set up whereby the refugees in Calais can make asylum applications for the UK whilst still in France (similar to the offer that was extended to refugees from Ukraine). In an ideal world I'd like to see the UK accept their fair share of refugees compared to other European countries. But obviously those kinds of ideas are pretty risky electorally and Labour are playing it safe.

That said, I would agree with Andy in that it is appropriate to have a discussion of how many immigrants the country's public services can handle; how we want our immigration system to work to manage the numbers and how we deal with people who choose to arrive in the country outside of the 'legitimate' routes. It seems to me to be a pretty utopian position to say that we can avoid all difficult choices and decisions re. immigration by simply allowing everyone into the country. 

Offline Dr. Beaker

• Veo, to his mates. Shares 50% of his DNA with a banana. Would dearly love to strangle Frankengoose. Lo! Be he not ye Messiah, verily be he a child of questionable conduct in the eyes of Ye Holy Border Guards.
  • Legacy Fan
  • I... think I am, therefore...I....maybe.
« Reply #88 on: November 6, 2023, 02:12:38 pm »
Everyone on RAWK does hate her guts. But apparently because those protestors who've gone over the edge (see my post in the other thread) should face the consequences of their actions, I apparently want to ban protests and thusly in favour of Cruella.

You're a Braverman than me.
NAKED BOOBERY

Rile-Me costed L. Nee-Naw "The Child" Torrence the first jack the hat-trick since Eon Rush vs Accursed Toffos, many moons passed. Nee-Naw he could have done a concreted his palace in the pantyhose off the LibPole Gods...was not was for the invented intervention of Rile-Me whistler.

Offline Jiminy Cricket

• Batshit fucker and Chief Yuletide Porcine Voyeur
  • Legacy Fan
would rather have a wank wearing a barb wire glove
If you're chasing thrills, try a bit of auto-asphyxiation with a poppers-soaked orange in your gob.

Offline Nobby Reserve

• Onanistic Charades Champion Of Roundabouts. Euphemistic Gerbil Starver.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Do you wanna build a snowman?
« Reply #90 on: November 6, 2023, 02:27:14 pm »
If I'd understood Labour's policy on this correctly...

At the moment the Tories have ripped up all of their agreements with the EU. The refugees in the camps in Calais have no legitimate means of getting to the UK. Furthermore we now can't relocate people who make it across the channel back to France - only to their country of origin having refused an asylum application.

Labour would enter into an agreement with the EU whereby we would accept a quota of refugees and process their asylum claims (giving them a legitimate means of crossing the channel) in return for being able to return people who arrive illegally back to France.

FWIW I don't think that goes far enough - for me what needs to happen is for a system to be set up whereby the refugees in Calais can make asylum applications for the UK whilst still in France (similar to the offer that was extended to refugees from Ukraine). In an ideal world I'd like to see the UK accept their fair share of refugees compared to other European countries. But obviously those kinds of ideas are pretty risky electorally and Labour are playing it safe.

That said, I would agree with Andy in that it is appropriate to have a discussion of how many immigrants the country's public services can handle; how we want our immigration system to work to manage the numbers and how we deal with people who choose to arrive in the country outside of the 'legitimate' routes. It seems to me to be a pretty utopian position to say that we can avoid all difficult choices and decisions re. immigration by simply allowing everyone into the country.

The 'difficult conversation' with regards to immigration that nobody outside the Tories seems willing to acknowledge is that the asylum system is broken due to a large proportion (majority?) of those claiming it aren't genuinely seeking asylum (in the sense that most of us understand that to be)

They are migrants from poor and corrupt countries, looking for a new life in a country they believe would give them a much greater chance of achieving that. The vast majority of these are young men and deliberately don't have any ID.

I don't for one second blame them and hate how they're demonised for doing what many British in the same position would want to do.

They only want to use the asylum process to gain initial entry into the UK, then disappear into the black economy.

The problem is that they swell the numbers of asylum seekers to a level that raises disquiet (at best) amongst a big chunk of the UK population. And that is exploited by the Tories and further-right, assisted by the RWM whipping-up that anger.

It ruins it for genuine asylum seekers fleeing from war or persecution.

A Tory, a worker and an immigrant are sat round a table. There's a plate of 10 biscuits in the middle. The Tory takes 9 then turns to the worker and says "that immigrant is trying to steal your biscuit"

Offline lobsterboy

• Sworn enemy of crayfishgirl. Likes to draw spunking cocks n balls at sunday school
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #91 on: November 6, 2023, 03:01:24 pm »
What happens when they fiddle the next election and all protests are banned and you can get sent to jail for "undermining" Britain?

Offline Kenny's Jacket

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #92 on: November 6, 2023, 05:55:37 pm »
They cant wait to appeal to a certain demographic

Offline Red-Soldier

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #93 on: November 6, 2023, 05:59:27 pm »
They cant wait to appeal to a certain demographic

To be fair, Labour have never been great on law and order.  I've always known them to be pretty draconian.

Offline LuverlyRita

• metar made
  • Kopite
Re: NEW Labour Thread*
« Reply #94 on: November 6, 2023, 06:31:13 pm »
We've got the Daily Fail, The Express, The Times, GBNews and 1,001 other sources for sticking the boot into Labour. It's all a bit fucking boring now seeing people that should be opposing the Daily Fail agreeing with them all the time.
If Labour get in with a big majority, what I would like to see them do is tackle our media. It's in their own interests for reasons you've outlined. It's also in the interests of The UK PLC. The fact that our major media titles are owned by overseas investors who pay no UK tax is beyond bizarre and leaves us vulnerable to hostile players. Murdoch and his ilk have been dripping poison into the UK for far too long and it's about time OFCOM was fit for purpose and given serious teeth.

Offline Nobby Reserve

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #95 on: November 6, 2023, 08:04:10 pm »
To be fair, Labour have never been great on law and order.  I've always known them to be pretty draconian.

Always seem to go for the wrong targets, though

Let's see if they go after all the chiselling Tory c*nts who made a bundle from COVID contracts. Or the tax-dodging super-rich.
A Tory, a worker and an immigrant are sat round a table. There's a plate of 10 biscuits in the middle. The Tory takes 9 then turns to the worker and says "that immigrant is trying to steal your biscuit"

Offline Andy @ Allerton!

• Missing an asterisk - no, wait sorry, that's his rusty starfish..... RAWK Apple fanboy. Hedley Lamarr's bestest mate. Has done nothing incredible ever.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Asterisks baby!
« Reply #96 on: November 7, 2023, 09:56:50 am »
]

What if they dont have a 'legitimate' right to be here?

Well if they don't have a legitimate right to be here then they should be dealt with humanely and appropriately.

It's a bit of a strange situation at present because due to the batshit-crazy way the Tories are 'running' the country, it seems that no immigrants are here 'legitimately'

That clearly needs to change, but also law and order is an important part of any society and country. If someone breaks the law then you would expect that some action would happen as a consequence - hopefully something along the lines of rehabilitation rather than punishment.

Immigration is a whole different kettle of fish, but one that many people are concerned about for a host of reasons (And this is people on the 'left', the 'centre' and the 'right' - but probably for different reasons)

It's not an easy subject to deal with and the Right-wing media and the Tories have made it toxic.

The first step is to put into place a system where legitimate immigrants and refugees can be processed and handled. That's not happening at the moment.

The second step is to look at what can be done if people fail the conditions to enter the country.

The third step is to look at what can be done in the case someone is here illegally, under false pretences or whatever.

There aren't just 'immigrants', there are, like many things, many different types - illegal, legal, economic, asylum seekers from war and persecution and personal danger, those that have aided the UK and are now in danger, those that have married into familes, those that were born here and probably another hundred 'tags'

For me, personally, the main thing is for us to have fair and just laws around this and a fair and just immigration service that handles and reviews cases speedily, fairly, constantly and then have clear steps of what can be done to help the people, regardless of their status. Everyone deserves to be treated fairly and with respect in my opinion.

It's not an easy thing and the dismantling of the system by those tossers makes it much harder.
« Last Edit: November 7, 2023, 09:58:50 am by Andy @ Allerton! »
Quote from: tubby on Today at 12:45:53 pm

They both went in high, that's factually correct, both tried to play the ball at height.  Doku with his foot, Mac Allister with his chest.

Offline Kenny's Jacket

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #97 on: November 7, 2023, 09:59:50 am »
Well if they don't have a legitimate right to be here then they should be dealt with humanely and appropriately.

It's a bit of a strange situation at present because due to the batshit-crazy way the Tories are 'running' the country, it seems that no immigrants are here 'legitimately'

That clearly needs to change, but also law and order is an important part of any society and country. If someone breaks the law then you would expect that some action would happen as a consequence - hopefully something along the lines of rehabilitation rather than punishment.

Immigration is a whole different kettle of fish, but one that many people are concerned about for a host of reasons (And this is people on the 'left', the 'centre' and the 'right' - but probably for different reasons)

It's not an easy subject to deal with and the Right-wing media and the Tories have made it toxic.

The first step is to put into place a system where legitimate immigrants and refugees can be processed and handled. That's not happening at the moment.

The second step is to look at what can be done if people fail the conditions to enter the country.

The third step is to look at what can be done in the case someone is here illegally, under false pretences or whatever.

There aren't just 'immigrants', there are, like many things, many different types - illegal, legal, economic, asylum seekers from war and persecution and personal danger, those that have aided the UK and are now in danger, those that have married into familes, those that were born here and probably another hundred 'tags'

For me, personally, the main thing is for us to have fair and just laws around this and a fair and just immigration service that handles and reviews cases speedily, fairly, constantly and then have clear steps of what can be done to help the people, regardless of their status. Everyone deserves to be treated fairly and with respect in my opinion.

It's not an easy thing and the dismantling of the system by those tossers makes it much harder.

Top post mate  :thumbup

Offline Andy @ Allerton!

• Missing an asterisk - no, wait sorry, that's his rusty starfish..... RAWK Apple fanboy. Hedley Lamarr's bestest mate. Has done nothing incredible ever.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Asterisks baby!
« Reply #98 on: November 7, 2023, 10:10:48 am »
If Labour get in with a big majority, what I would like to see them do is tackle our media. It's in their own interests for reasons you've outlined. It's also in the interests of The UK PLC. The fact that our major media titles are owned by overseas investors who pay no UK tax is beyond bizarre and leaves us vulnerable to hostile players. Murdoch and his ilk have been dripping poison into the UK for far too long and it's about time OFCOM was fit for purpose and given serious teeth.

Yeah, the current media situation in the UK is dire. We have more and more questionable sources of 'news' that either stretch the truth or outright lie.

There should be some comeback from this. If this genie isn't stuffed back into the bottle, then things will clearly get worse every year.

We already have loads of people that seemingly believe absolute rubbish because 'they read/saw it here.'  When you pull them up on it and ask them to explain, they tend to get very red and angry and splutter a lot. This is because they have, seemingly, been told what to think and told what is true, but since it's fabrication, the detail and the facts are missing.

If you think something and then realise that you can't back it up in any way, then that's not a place where you are then going to go on and have a decent discussion about it.

Most of it seems to be around slogans and 'common sense' and 'what people know, but aren't allowed to say any more'

They both went in high, that's factually correct, both tried to play the ball at height.  Doku with his foot, Mac Allister with his chest.

Offline Nobby Reserve

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #99 on: November 7, 2023, 10:48:54 am »

We already have loads of people that seemingly believe absolute rubbish because 'they read/saw it here.'  When you pull them up on it and ask them to explain, they tend to get very red and angry and splutter a lot. This is because they have, seemingly, been told what to think and told what is true, but since it's fabrication, the detail and the facts are missing.

Like being asked "How, precisely, do you think Labour would make things better once elected?"

:jester

Offline Andy @ Allerton!

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Asterisks baby!
« Reply #100 on: November 7, 2023, 11:03:18 am »

Like being asked "How, precisely, do you think Labour would make things better once elected?"

Well you and others have asked me and others what we thought and we said what we thought. Not sure why you have a problem with that.

You think something different based on no evidence that I can see.

I'm basing what I think on what Labour did when they got into power after the Tories last time and the previous times Labour have been in power compared to what the Tories did when they were in power.

Offline TSC

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #101 on: November 7, 2023, 11:23:17 am »

Simply by not doing what the Tories have done for 13 years will suffice for starters

Offline Nobby Reserve

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #102 on: November 7, 2023, 11:28:50 am »
Simply by not doing what the Tories have done for 13 years will suffice for starters

And you think that will happen? On policy, I mean.

Offline TSC

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #103 on: November 7, 2023, 12:27:10 pm »

And you think that will happen? On policy, I mean.

Yes.  It’s the lowest of low bars of course but polls show the country thinks same.

Offline PatriotScouser

• Legacy Fan
  • I could agree with you but then we’d both be wrong
« Reply #104 on: November 7, 2023, 01:47:33 pm »

I think from what the Party has said on housing, transport, environment, education and healthcare that they will make the country a fairer place for all.

Social Mobility is the thing that underpins that all, just like the Blair and Brown Governments.

Offline Red Beret

• Yellow Beret. Wants to sit in the Lobster Pot. Fat-fingered. Key. Boa. Rd. Kille. R. tonunlick! Soggy Knickers King. Bed-Exiting / Grunting / Bending Down / Cum Face Champion 2023.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #105 on: November 7, 2023, 03:18:32 pm »

;)

Should be the new House of Commons. Or move the Tory Party HQ there.
I don't always visit Lobster Pot.  But when I do. I sit.

Popcorn's Art

Offline stewil007

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #106 on: November 7, 2023, 03:23:35 pm »
Should be the new House of Commons. Or move the Tory Party HQ there.

Hopefully after the next General Election, the tory mps can be housed in the support boat to the left

Offline Red Beret

• Yellow Beret. Wants to sit in the Lobster Pot. Fat-fingered. Key. Boa. Rd. Kille. R. tonunlick! Soggy Knickers King. Bed-Exiting / Grunting / Bending Down / Cum Face Champion 2023.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #107 on: November 7, 2023, 03:24:06 pm »
We all know there's a big difference between what needs to be done and the how is it going to be done. But I guess it all comes back to getting the economy back on track so the country can actually afford to take the measures needed to address things like cost of living, financial inequality, child poverty etc.

I'm sure everyone has their own personal wishlists. For myself, the Tories have gone full "we're coming to get you". I imagine many people don't feel safe from their own government. The sense of relief by just having not the Tories in charge will be palpable, at least for the first few months.
I don't always visit Lobster Pot.  But when I do. I sit.

Popcorn's Art

Offline lobsterboy

• Sworn enemy of crayfishgirl. Likes to draw spunking cocks n balls at sunday school
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #108 on: November 7, 2023, 04:32:03 pm »
Starmer left Rat Face Fishy Ballsack looking broken today.
No one can seriously tell me we wouldn't be better off under him.
Or that he is somehow the same as them.

Offline Red-Soldier

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #109 on: November 7, 2023, 04:34:46 pm »
Starmer left Rat Face Fishy Ballsack looking broken today.
No one can seriously tell me we wouldn't be better off under him.
Or that he is somehow the same as them.

We would be and he isn't.

There's going to be a collective sigh of relief, when they're finally booted out!

Offline Nobby Reserve

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #110 on: November 7, 2023, 05:05:36 pm »
We would be and he isn't.

I've not seen anyone say otherwise.

It's just the degree of 'better off' when the bar is already so low.

Offline Red-Soldier

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #111 on: November 7, 2023, 05:18:55 pm »

No, they haven't.

We'll just have to wait and see, I guess.

Offline stewil007

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #112 on: November 8, 2023, 08:44:07 am »

when youre starving,  a mouldy biscuit is manna from heaven.

any improvement is an improvement.

Offline Andy @ Allerton!

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Asterisks baby!
« Reply #113 on: November 8, 2023, 09:18:27 am »
when youre starving,  a mouldy biscuit is manna from heaven.

any improvement is an improvement.

There is the difference, I suppose.

I just literally want the best for the poorest and weakest and our services across the board to get proper funding and reverse the damage done by the Tories.

Others have other goals which are Socialist, but not necessarily to do with the wants and needs of those that I always feel Labour should be looking at.

You could probably label them 'causes' - I've mentioned Maslow's Hierarchy of Needs before and I think (Well for me) that it's a good place to start.

'Socialist Causes' may by the pinnacle of Socialist endeavours, but they require a solid base to build them on. If someone is homeless or starving or sick or dying then those ideals might be a very, very dim and unimportant dream to them and probably completely irrelevant to their lives.

Offline oldfordie

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #114 on: November 8, 2023, 10:08:24 am »
We are our own worst enemy.
So theres no reason to believe things won't dramatically improve under a Labour government, under the same logic then things must have only got slightly worse since the Torys took power.
I suppose things only slightly improved when Labour took over from Thatchers government as well, lets face it, they are never given any credit for the good they did by the idealists, they only get shit for PFI and Iraq.
I think most people would be happy if Labour could take us back to pre 2010. give them time and they will do more than that. change the tax system, get a grip of the Nationalised industrys who have screwed us all.
We know what will happen after Labours first term in office, the people who are trying to run them down now will ignore their achievements and attack them for what they didn't do. certain to happen as it will be very easy to do as it will be impossible for Labour to repair the damage this government have done in just 5 yrs.
It might take our producers five minutes to find 60 economists who feared Brexit and five hours to find a sole voice who espoused it.
“But by the time we went on air we simply had one of each; we presented this unequal effort to our audience as balance. It wasn’t.”
               Emily Maitlis

Offline Nobby Reserve

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #115 on: November 8, 2023, 10:29:05 am »
There is the difference, I suppose.

I just literally want the best for the poorest and weakest and our services across the board to get proper funding and reverse the damage done by the Tories.

Others have other goals which are Socialist, but not necessarily to do with the wants and needs of those that I always feel Labour should be looking at.

You could probably label them 'causes' - I've mentioned Maslow's Hierarchy of Needs before and I think (Well for me) that it's a good place to start.

'Socialist Causes' may by the pinnacle of Socialist endeavours, but they require a solid base to build them on. If someone is homeless or starving or sick or dying then those ideals might be a very, very dim and unimportant dream to them and probably completely irrelevant to their lives.

Andy, I'm absolutely sure what the two of us want for society would be a pretty identical match.

I'm not some communist revolutionary, you know!!

I just perhaps look differently at the reasons for society's ills and why we have poverty, and want to address the root causes rather than tackle the symptoms.

Take the utilities of water, electricity and gas. I want them nationalised. Not because of an ideological obsession, but because I see that every year the amount of money leeched out of these companies - in the form of dividends to shareholders and massive executive/director pay packages - amounts to literally £billions.

Instead of that money going into the pockets of the already-rich, wouldn't it be better if that money remained within state-owned entities, which could cut prices for all as well as providing subsidies for the worst off or those struggling?

I could bore everyone with pages of other examples, but I won't (and don't want to incite John C's ire by ranting about the amount of tax that is dodged by the super-rich  ;))

I think the country could and should be much fairer and I'm sure you do to.

Offline Sheer Magnetism

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #116 on: November 8, 2023, 10:47:07 am »
We are our own worst enemy.
So theres no reason to believe things won't dramatically improve under a Labour government, under the same logic then things must have only got slightly worse since the Torys took power.
So, we now have the option of voting for a Labour government made up of people who were there in the 2000's, who will use a time machine to transport us all back to the 2000's? Because that's the only way this logic makes any sense.

Offline oldfordie

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #117 on: November 8, 2023, 11:16:18 am »
So, we now have the option of voting for a Labour government made up of people who were there in the 2000's, who will use a time machine to transport us all back to the 2000's? Because that's the only way this logic makes any sense.
What exactly is your point? theres no point voting for Labour as they will not be able to repair the damage this government have done by taking us back to where we were in 2010.
The reason I brought up 2010 was that was the standard we should judge the Torys by, have things got far worse since then, do I really have to make a argument to prove things have got dramatically worse in every way possible.
10s millions more in poverty, kids living in poverty without a home. NHS. Services. schools. homeless are in a terrible state. National debt tripled leaving the country skint. incompetent government who have no idea how to solve these problems turning to cultural wars which makes things even worse yet we are told theres no reason to think Labour won't improve things much, that doesn't make sense. the Torys took us to where we are now not Labour so why attach any of the blame to Labour.

Improvements don't happen by accident. it's having good intentions that matters, if the intention is to actually help people which is what Labour are all about then things will improve dramatically. Labour have 2 things going for them from day 1 to make a difference, Competency and good intentions, they are exactly what's needed right now.
It might take our producers five minutes to find 60 economists who feared Brexit and five hours to find a sole voice who espoused it.
“But by the time we went on air we simply had one of each; we presented this unequal effort to our audience as balance. It wasn’t.”
               Emily Maitlis

Offline Schmarn

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #118 on: November 8, 2023, 11:39:29 am »
What exactly is your point? theres no point voting for Labour as they will not be able to repair the damage this government have done by taking us back to where we were in 2010.
The reason I brought up 2010 was that was the standard we should judge the Torys by, have things got far worse since then, do I really have to make a argument to prove things have got dramatically worse in every way possible.
10s millions more in poverty, kids living in poverty without a home. NHS. Services. schools. homeless are in a terrible state. National debt tripled leaving the country skint. incompetent government who have no idea how to solve these problems turning to cultural wars which makes things even worse yet we are told theres no reason to think Labour won't improve things much, that doesn't make sense. the Torys took us to where we are now not Labour so why attach any of the blame to Labour.

Improvements don't happen by accident. it's having good intentions that matters, if the intention is to actually help people which is what Labour are all about then things will improve dramatically. Labour have 2 things going for them from day 1 to make a difference, Competency and good intentions, they are exactly what's needed right now.

Correct. One of the greatest dangers to democracy is the trite lie that “they’re all the same” which leads to people not bothering to vote. It’s deliberately pushed by the right wing media to persuade the working class not to vote. But you can be damn sure that the Tory core will all vote. It’s depressing but not surprising to see intelligent, progressive folk repeating this crap.

People have very good reasons for disliking Blair (Iraq, PFI, being smug etc) but it’s unanswerable that their sound management of the economy meant that billions of pounds more than was thought were spent on health and education with low unemployment, low interest rates and low inflation benefitting everyone. Not to mention a minimum wage, devolution and peace in Northern Ireland.  But sure he’s just a Tory (eye-roll). Of course that’s anathema to the far left who continue to drive their special brand of intellectual purity which coincidentally tends to lead to perpetual opposition and huge Tory majorities (see 1983 and 2019).

I won’t pretend to be wowed by Starmer but frankly it’s time we had some dull competency in place of the circus we’ve had over the past 13 years. 

Offline Sheer Magnetism

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #119 on: November 8, 2023, 11:51:16 am »

My point was that the world has moved on from 13 years ago, and Labour and the Conservatives are to some extent different parties, so claiming that: "Saying not much would change if Labour took charge now is like saying not much changed when the Tories took over" is nonsensical. You may as well be citing Bevan's government or Thatcher's (which you actually did, looking down).

Would a Labour government be an improvement? Obviously. Will they actually bring in policies that can counteract all the harm caused since then? Starmer and Reeves themselves have said they don't want to spend to do so, have ruled out taxing the wealthy and most of the policies they've announced have either been surface changes or given up after a few months. Let's see how long the GB Energy plan lasts - I suspect it'll be either heavily watered down or backtracked completely before the election.

None of this is a reason not to vote Labour, simply a reaction to reality - not fantasies about how Starmer might be secretly left wing and will start being radical once Labour gets into power, but the reality of what he says and how he acts.