Jim Beglin
Ian Darke
Seb Hutchinson
Karen Carney
Alan Parry
David Coulthard
Mark Webber
Ian Wright-late option

Author Topic: Who is the best pundit? 2021 edition  (Read 1047600 times)

Offline sinnermichael

• I copy other people's photoshops and twitter posts and texts and pretend they're mine.
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
Karen Carney is the latest to be forced down our throats. Obviously a void to fill with Alex Scott away doing Strictly.

Offline LallanaInPyjamas

• Keita's shit, Bundesliga's shit, Bundesliga 2's shit
  • Legacy Fan
  • RAWK Cheltenham 2020 Champion Tipster*
Tyler in being a twat to Liverpool again shocker - basically called Salah a diver second half after he stayed on his feet. Not sure that's impartial commentary?

Online Crosby Nick

• He was super funny. Used to do these super hilarious puns
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
Tyler in being a twat to Liverpool again shocker - basically called Salah a diver second half after he stayed on his feet. Not sure that's impartial commentary?

Fucking ridiculous. In his two and a half seasons with us I’d say Mo had a spell of winning three penalties in about a two week period, either side of which he has frequently been hacked down and wrestled regularly without ever winning fouls for them and somehow that’s earned him the right to be labelled a diver by most of the country, despite the fact that at best only one of the penalties was dubious and that was pretty much irrelevant given we were beating a crap Newcastle at the time. And most of that blame starts with Tyler for his constant banging on about it when he’s nowhere near as bad when talking about far more serial offenders.

Online Crosby Nick

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
Sorry, that might be the longest sentence I’ve ever written!

Offline rob1966

• YORKIE bar-munching, hedgehog-squashing (well-)articulated road-hog-litter-bug. Sleeping With The Enemy. Has felt the wind and shed his anger..... did you know I drive a Jag? Cucking funt!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Karen Carney is the latest to be forced down our throats. Obviously a void to fill with Alex Scott away doing Strictly.

She is awful.
Jurgen YNWA

Offline Clint Eastwood

• The man with no name
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Martin Tyler is done as a commentator, surely he's retiring soon. He sounds totally bored of football and his lack of enthusiasm sucks the drama out of games.

Offline iamnant

• ...call me Adam
  • Legacy Fan
  • Bob Mortimer stan account
Martin Tyler is done as a commentator, surely he's retiring soon. He sounds totally bored of football and his lack of enthusiasm sucks the drama out of games.
Yup. Even though he's always hated us, he used to at least add excitement to the action - but now he genuinely sounds like he fucking hates his life. Surely Sky execs are noticing this and thinking about forcing his hand into retirement, like the Beeb did with Motty.
"If anyone at my funeral has a long face, I'll never speak to them again."
Stan Laurel

Offline Dench57

• Self-confessed tit. Can't sit still. She's got the hippy hippy crack.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Having Tyler and Neville commentating on our TV games is wearing a bit thin isn't it?

Neville I can just about stomach because he's obviously, openly a Manc, we all know it, fine. He's a prick but he offers more than most commentators. Tyler though, proper snide. Constant little digs, loves having a pop at Salah especially. Get in the glue factory you old c*nt.
Loving Everton's business this summer. Here's an early call - they finish above Liverpool this season.
- Richard Keys (@richardajkeys) July 9, 2017

Offline demain

• Shambolic
  • Kopite
  • 'à quoi bon ?'
It's staggering to realize that Tyler is the same age as Motson, and Motson retired after Euro 2008. Tyler has clearly been phoning it in for at least five years and needed to be phased out by Sky a decade ago. He obviously doesn't care how he comes across to the viewer at this stage of his career, which is why all the snide asides have become more and more frequent.

Even during his heyday back in the 90s and early 2000s, I always felt that Tyler was a mediocre lead commentator who was overshadowed by having a controversial and opinionated sidekick in Gray alongside. Ian Darke was always the more superior commentator and British viewers kinda missed out as a consequence.
'Ever bought a fake picture, Toby?'
'Sold a couple once.'
'The more you pay for it, the less inclined you are to doubt its authenticity.'

Offline Lycan

• Loves egg. Quite partial to a nipple too. Once came into contact with Jeremy Beadle and his tiny right hand. I used to be a Werewolf, but I'm alright noooooooooowww!!!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
It's staggering to realize that Tyler is the same age as Motson, and Motson retired after Euro 2008. Tyler has clearly been phoning it in for at least five years and needed to be phased out by Sky a decade ago. He obviously doesn't care how he comes across to the viewer at this stage of his career, which is why all the snide asides have become more and more frequent.

Even during his heyday back in the 90s and early 2000s, I always felt that Tyler was a mediocre lead commentator who was overshadowed by having a controversial and opinionated sidekick in Gray alongside. Ian Darke was always the more superior commentator and British viewers kinda missed out as a consequence.

Not a fan of Darke.

Peter Brackley and Peter Drury were/is far superior though.
“There he goes. One of God's own prototypes. A high-powered mutant of some kind, never even considered for mass production. Too weird to live, and too rare to die.”

Offline demain

• Shambolic
  • Kopite
  • 'à quoi bon ?'
Not a fan of Darke.

Peter Brackley and Peter Drury were/is far superior though.

Darke was an excellent commentator back in the 90s, and he always possessed an ability to be able to elevate the sense of the occasion. However, his work for BT has been decidedly average as well. Possibly because they relegated him to number two behind the awful Darren Fletcher and he lost motivation for the role.

Agree on Brackley, but Drury is an acquired taste. He shouts too indiscriminately to be taken seriously. Still better than Tyler, mind.
'Sold a couple once.'

Offline Ghost Town

• RAWK snitch. Bands won't play no more. Too much fighting on the dance floor! Probably one of only three people who knows the meaning of "depuratory", the Suzy Dent-esque freakshow! Hannoying homunculus.
  • Legacy Fan
  • mundus vult decipi
Drury talks utter bilge and has said a fair amount of pretty cack stuff about us but for some reason people like him because he gets over-emotional and has a catch in his voice.

I don't see why people want to attack Tyler because of his age; there are plenty of legitimate reasons to attack him, such as he's a shite commentator.

I don't really complain about commentators much but  even I was gobsmacked when he started sniding about Salah diving, even though he demonstrably tried to stay on his feet all game despite the usual barrage of pulls and holds and arms round neck. That he picked on Salah was especially bizarre being as Spurs were also on the pitch.
« Last Edit: October 28, 2019, 07:57:28 am by Ghost Town »
"Every man has a right to utter what he thinks truth, and every other man has a right to knock him down for it."
Samuel (not Glen) Johnson, as reported by James (not Joey) Boswell. They must have foreseen RAWK ;D

Offline rob1966

• YORKIE bar-munching, hedgehog-squashing (well-)articulated road-hog-litter-bug. Sleeping With The Enemy. Has felt the wind and shed his anger..... did you know I drive a Jag? Cucking funt!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Drury talks utter bilge and has said a fair amount of pretty cack stuff about us but for some reason people like him because he gets over-emotional and has a catch in his voice.

I don't see why people want to attack Tyler because of his age; there are plenty of legitimate reasons to attack him, such as he's a shite commentator.

I don't really complain about commentators much but  even I was gobsmacked when he started sniding about Salah diving, even though he demonstrably tried to stay on his feet all game despite the usual barrage of pulls and holds and arms round neck. That he picked on Salah was especially bizarre being as Spurs were also on the pitch.

Not a peep about Kane throwing himself while screaming in agony and holding his face, when Lovren brushed his chest. The waffle about the header for the goal too, superb technique and all that shite.
Jurgen YNWA

Offline I've been a good boy

• "There are two ways of spreading light; to be the candle or the mirror that receives it." Loves a good set of open flaps. And a bowl of Coco Poops! No chance of getting a coffee in his house.
  • Legacy Fan
The fact that Tyler is still in this job says a lot about Sky. Football is moving onto a more youthful crowd and yet they still have this dinosaur commentating and spouting shite. I hope he’s on all our games, maybe being forced to see us win every week will force him into retirement.

Online LovelyCushionedHeader

• Not so pleasant non-upholstered footer
  • Legacy Fan
The fact that Tyler is still in this job says a lot about Sky. Football is moving onto a more youthful crowd and yet they still have this dinosaur commentating and spouting shite. I hope he’s on all our games, maybe being forced to see us win every week will force him into retirement.

Pretty sure the issue is that within the Sky team, there is no one really to step into Tyler's void and be the voice of the company. I guess Rob Hawthorne is next in line and I don't mind him, but I don't think Sky would ever trust him to be the main guy.
And if the rain stops, and everything's dry.. she would cry, just so I could drink tears from her eyes.

Offline phil236849

• loves a Kwenchy Kup
  • Legacy Fan
  • Across the face of the goal
Right, a bit blue sky and controversial for you now, but I have to say that on LFC TV Gary Gillespie keeps making odd calls.

Offline sinnermichael

• I copy other people's photoshops and twitter posts and texts and pretend they're mine.
  • Legacy Fan

At his funeral, someone should shout "Tyler doesn't usually go down in the box, but he is now".

Offline redgriffin73

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Thanks for everything Rafa. Nunca Caminarás Solo.
At his funeral, someone should shout "Tyler doesn't usually go down in the box, but he is now".

;D
Rafa Benitez: "I'll always keep in my heart the good times I've had here, the strong and loyal support of the fans in the tough times and the love from Liverpool. I have no words to thank you enough for all these years and I am very proud to say that I was your manager. Thank you so much once more and always remember: You'll never walk alone."

Offline So… Howard Philips

• Penile Toupé Extender. Notoriously work-shy, copper-bottomed pervert.
  • Legacy Fan
  • All I want for Christmas is a half and half scarf
Right, a bit blue sky and controversial for you now, but I have to say that on LFC TV Gary Gillespie keeps making odd calls.

He comes across as a dour Scot. Very Private Frazer.

But he is pretty fair to both teams and tries to be neutral.

Offline Red-Dread

• RAWK Supporter
  • Kopite
Didn't realise Tyler is now 74 years old.#

Come on now Martin - enough's enough. Time to put your feet up.
first ever avatar..... ben(d)oak

Offline rob1966

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan

Motty didn't retire until 2018.

Didn't realise Tyler is now 74 years old.#

Come on now Martin - enough's enough. Time to put your feet up.

I didn't think we was that old, but thinking about it, he was on the Big Match in the mid 70's
Jurgen YNWA

Offline Statto Red

• Hung like a sperm whale but only around the middle. Proud owner of a couple of spare arms, although is pits pong like the bins, not very appealing. Bambi on ice.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Kloppite

I didn't think we was that old, but thinking about it, he was on the Big Match in the mid 70's

Seem to remember in the 80s Tyler was ITVs go to commentator when Brian Moore was commentating on another match
#Sausages

Offline Charlie Adams fried egg

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
The comment about Salah was borderline deformation.
As others have said, the amount of time Salah tries to stay on his feet when being kicked, grappled, arm locked, grabbed around the neck. I can't think of a single time Salah has dived to win a pen, the only one close was Newcastle when he made the most of being pulled back. I can think of lots of times when Harry Kane or Vardy have either dived or manufactured contact.

I wouldn't have a problem if other players were subject to the same level of scrutiny, but we all know they're not, and like it or not the likes of Tyler can help to influence others' perceptions, even if subconsciously. This is an example of when the club could be a bit more proactive in having a word with the likes of Tyler and telling them to either be come up with evidence of his diving, or shut up, and if he does manage to find anything resembling evidence, ask why he gives others a free pass.

Online Nitramdorf

• No longer as forward as he used to be, so has dropped back into midfield. Didn't you hear?
  • Legacy Fan
As others have said, the amount of time Salah tries to stay on his feet when being kicked, grappled, arm locked, grabbed around the neck. I can't think of a single time Salah has dived to win a pen, the only one close was Newcastle when he made the most of being pulled back. I can think of lots of times when Harry Kane or Vardy have either dived or manufactured contact.

I wouldn't have a problem if other players were subject to the same level of scrutiny, but we all know they're not, and like it or not the likes of Tyler can help to influence others' perceptions, even if subconsciously. This is an example of when the club could be a bit more proactive in having a word with the likes of Tyler and telling them to either be come up with evidence of his diving, or shut up, and if he does manage to find anything resembling evidence, ask why he gives others a free pass.

Was thinking about that earlier. In my world that should be a sackable offence. The fact hes allowed to say it with impunity to the whole country is very, very wrong. He's an utter prick and should be long gone.

Online Crosby Nick

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
Was thinking about that earlier. In my world that should be a sackable offence. The fact hes allowed to say it with impunity to the whole country is very, very wrong. He's an utter prick and should be long gone.

The thing is though, I bet most of the country would agree with him which is crazy in itself. Is that because just believe what they’re told by the likes of Tyler without questioning it, or do they just hate us that much that they can’t accept that we win some penalties fairly and squarely? Probably a bit of both.

Online Nitramdorf

• No longer as forward as he used to be, so has dropped back into midfield. Didn't you hear?
  • Legacy Fan
The thing is though, I bet most of the country would agree with him which is crazy in itself. Is that because just believe what they’re told by the likes of Tyler without questioning it, or do they just hate us that much that they can’t accept that we win some penalties fairly and squarely? Probably a bit of both.

Yes, a bit of both, I agree. I reckon a lot of people hate us but if pushed would have no real idea why.
Sadly a lot of people havent got their own opinion so just go along with what they are told. A few months back I had a woman at work tell me she hates Mo. She actually used the word hate. I found out a bit later, she likes Trump and Johnson and Brexit.

Offline Elzar

• train station gate frustration - delia smith fan club founder ('ave it!)
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Bam!
Neville actively wanting Spurs to score yesterday was so cringey. The noise when Son missed, the excuses when a Spurs player was offside "he should have waited and let VAR decide". He's gone from being fairly balanced and hiding his obvious bias, to actively showing it now we are doing well. He seems to try and create stories about players. "He doesn't looks happy does he" or "Van Dijks got a thigh injury here" Just absolute shite comes out his mouth every time he's on TV.

Tyler is a boring prick too.
We already have shit in the country, and the game of Liverpool fills life with joy. Thanks

Offline rob1966

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Neville actively wanting Spurs to score yesterday was so cringey. The noise when Son missed, the excuses when a Spurs player was offside "he should have waited and let VAR decide". He's gone from being fairly balanced and hiding his obvious bias, to actively showing it now we are doing well. He seems to try and create stories about players. "He doesn't looks happy does he" or "Van Dijks got a thigh injury here" Just absolute shite comes out his mouth every time he's on TV.

Tyler is a boring prick too.

Its killing him that we are so good and his beloved Mancs are so shite.

Had this today at work, Salah is a diver - put the Manc straight on that. Not like you see Mo do this

Jurgen YNWA

Offline Ratboy3G

• Sworn enemy of Mousegirl5G
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Having Tyler and Neville commentating on our TV games is wearing a bit thin isn't it?

Neville I can just about stomach because he's obviously, openly a Manc, we all know it, fine. He's a prick but he offers more than most commentators. Tyler though, proper snide. Constant little digs, loves having a pop at Salah especially. Get in the glue factory you old c*nt.

Can't stand how Carra chips in to agree with them when they are spouting their shite
I am a man of few words.....any questions?

Online Crosby Nick

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
Its killing him that we are so good and his beloved Mancs are so shite.

Had this today at work, Salah is a diver - put the Manc straight on that. Not like you see Mo do this

A few weeks back a Spurs fan I work with who is generally say is pretty fair and level headed said with a straight face that Salah is probably the biggest diver in the country. Mental.

Offline demain

• Shambolic
  • Kopite
  • 'à quoi bon ?'

His last live commentary was the Euro 2008 final, I guess it's probably more accurate to say he retired from commentating on live football matches after that tournament. 
'Sold a couple once.'

Online Buck Pete

• GV66 LJF for short. King Kong Balls. Bathes in peat. Partial to a walnut whip. Gets wet for 24/7 but disappointed Chopper. On the mortgage blacklist. Too tight to really be called a
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan

Watched the full game back last night and couldn't believe what i was hearing from Tyler and Rat Boy.  I was genuinely flabbergasted that such levels of biased could be allowed.

Neville actually sighing when Son missed and the delight in his voice when he thought VVD was injured, was clear to the ears.  Tyler's comments on Mo were bordering on slanderous.

I'm not trying to be a billy big bollocks superfan here but I go home and away and am thankful I don't have to listen to that SKY coverage real-time.  I was still fuming with the c*nts knowing we had already bagged the 3 points, god knows what it must have been like listening to them when we were 0-1 down.

Offline slaphead

• Nothing up top.
  • Legacy Fan
Watched the full game back last night and couldn't believe what i was hearing from Tyler and Rat Boy.  I was genuinely flabbergasted that such levels of biased could be allowed.

Neville actually sighing when Son missed and the delight in his voice when he thought VVD was injured, was clear to the ears.  Tyler's comments on Mo were bordering on slanderous.

I'm not trying to be a billy big bollocks superfan here but I go home and away and am thankful I don't have to listen to that SKY coverage real-time.  I was still fuming with the c*nts knowing we had already bagged the 3 points, god knows what it must have been like listening to them when we were 0-1 down.

I seen the game in a pub and thankfully didn't pay much attention to them 2 ballbags. Although I was surround by 6 of them, 5 mancs and 1 blue nose. I read what Tyler said about Mo though, that's disgraceful it really is. I'm assuming he didn't say a single thing when Kane went down holding his face when Lovren brushed his shoulder ? I haven't heard anyone in the media mention that actually funny enough. Too many people don't see with their eyes and believe what they hear idiots like Tyler say then broadcast is as fact.
Kane, Deli Ali, Sterling, Vardy, James they're the biggest divers in the league I can think of but I wonder why they don't say that. Only foreigners dive !
I have no problem with commentators not liking us, none at all, but when they're commentating they're supposed to be impartial and fair, for Sky not to see that or worse to allow it is just desperation from them.
The only way to get Tyler to retire is to win the league, that would break him.

Offline arthur sarnoff

• Legacy Fan
His last live commentary was the Euro 2008 final, I guess it's probably more accurate to say he retired from commentating on live football matches after that tournament. 

Still works for Talksport, doesn't he?

Offline Charlie Adams fried egg

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan

Remember when it wasn't hate?
Bit of pity, bit of disdain. Very happy to point out that we weren't famous any more, or that we must be "having a laugh" if we thought we could get in the champions league (despite winning it a few years earlier).

We've certainly come a long way if we've moved up to the kind of outright hatred from the rest of the country that used to be reserved for the red Mancs. The ABU phenomenon used to wind Ferguson up no end.

Hatred versus indifference or worse pity and I'll take hatred every time.

Offline Garrus

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Drury's alright. He tends to be hyperbolic sometimes but is pretty unbiased when it comes to commentary.

Offline rob1966

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan

Was it that long ago? I thought he'd done FA Cup games since then - he was still going hysterical on MOTD until last year.

Jurgen YNWA

Online BER

• Goat fondler.
  • Legacy Fan
  • FLOSS IS BOSS!!
Neville is terrible on commentary, always has been, not only our games. Just has the wrong voice for it. Now he's started doing this weird impression of a constipated Jonathan Pearce he's become even more unbearable.
Le Saux on NBC is a different kind of torture, more miserable than Lawrenson

There's no escaping these shit twats.

Offline slaphead

• Nothing up top.
  • Legacy Fan
I see a rise in the "lets pair 2 complete idiots together" idea for what someone considers to be good radio or TV.
You have Tyler and Neville, now you have Jim White and Clinton Morrison. All we need now in Mills and Crooks and you have a clean sweep of the top 6 bellends all in pairs

Online Kekule

• Not fussy.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan

The key being "live". His Match of the Day commentaries in the last few years always sounded a bit weird.  Differing volumes and sound mixing from highlight to highlight, almost like he'd re-recorded them afterwards.  The bits that sounded re-recorded nearly always contained some sort of prescient comment, "Oh, I wonder if that will come back to bite them" when someone misses a chance to go two up, before conceding an equaliser.
or
"They've not even managed to get out of their own half yet...they'll probably go and score with their first attack now, hahaha." "Oh, I say!"  Or just saying stuff out of nowhere like "so and so hasn't scored/been sent off for 6 years" and then the next highlight is them scoring or being sent off.

I might be being unfair, but it just seemed blatant to me.