Jim Beglin
Ian Darke
Seb Hutchinson
Karen Carney
Alan Parry
David Coulthard
Mark Webber
Ian Wright-late option

Author Topic: Who is the best pundit? 2021 edition  (Read 1047413 times)

Offline LallanaInPyjamas

• Keita's shit, Bundesliga's shit, Bundesliga 2's shit
  • Legacy Fan
  • RAWK Cheltenham 2020 Champion Tipster*
I didn't say you did call him a bellend, I was laughing at you demanding respect for someone, it's pretty funny given the shit you spam the forum with about Bobby and Keita.

Fair enough if you love Carra and disagree (he's done great today making a show of that agent) but you're a cheeky fucker about respect with the drivel you write.

I think I criticised Firmino after one game last season and that was Fulham away when he stunk the place out and repeatedly gave the ball away. Most of my criticisms of him came during the 16/17 season when the dynamic of the team was different. Coutinho was our playmaker and while Firmino's counter-pressing was still important, we needed a more clinical finisher. He missed some very good chances in tight draws which cost us points. I still don't rate his finishing particularly highly, but it's far less significant now that we have Salah and an even better Mané. Firmino is also even better than back then. Players change, as do opinions.

You should try playing the post rather than the poster. I wasn't aware of any issues between us but I certainly am now. You're a tit.

Offline slaphead

• Nothing up top.
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
I think Carragher is great, I dont agree with everything he says of course. In among the sense he talks is an odd bit of bullox for sure.
But to call him a bellend and liken him to Ray Boy and that old buzzard Tyler is stupid man, come on.
You're as far away as my first shite with that one

Offline El Lobo

• Chief Suck Up. Feel his breath on your face. Toxic, pathetic, arse-faced, weaselling slimeball. RAWK Maths Genius 2022.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Pretty, pretty, pretty pretty good
I think Carragher is great, I dont agree with everything he says of course. In among the sense he talks is an odd bit of bullox for sure.
But to call him a bellend and liken him to Ray Boy and that old buzzard Tyler is stupid man, come on.
You're as far away as my first shite with that one

He’s right up there for stupid crap, even on Sky. Came out with some right shite on Saturday, mainly about Virg looking vulnerable, like he was carrying an injury etc. He’s better than most pundits but let’s be honest, it’s not a high ceiling.
If he's being asked to head the ball too frequently - which isn't exactly his specialty - it could affect his ear and cause an infection. Especially if the ball hits him on the ear directly.

Offline slaphead

• Nothing up top.
  • Legacy Fan
He’s right up there for stupid crap, even on Sky. Came out with some right shite on Saturday, mainly about Virg looking vulnerable, like he was carrying an injury etc. He’s better than most pundits but let’s be honest, it’s not a high ceiling.

You're spot on there alright  :)  Probably just jealous of Virgil like, I mean who isn't  ;)
I sometimes wonder if the likes of Sky actively encourage the people they have on to say some controversial/stupid things.
I miss the days of RTE coverage with Giles, Brady and Dunphy. There's a trio who could come out with some complete rubbish but quality viewing.

Offline bradders1011

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Eat your greens and sing your blues
You're spot on there alright  :)  Probably just jealous of Virgil like, I mean who isn't  ;)
I sometimes wonder if the likes of Sky actively encourage the people they have on to say some controversial/stupid things.
I miss the days of RTE coverage with Giles, Brady and Dunphy. There's a trio who could come out with some complete rubbish but quality viewing.

Course they do, it's been clickbait TV for at least 5 years now.
If I were a linesman, I would execute defenders who applauded my offsides.

Offline Statto Red

• Hung like a sperm whale but only around the middle. Proud owner of a couple of spare arms, although is pits pong like the bins, not very appealing. Bambi on ice.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Kloppite
One great thing Champions League group stage nights, when we're not on i always put the goals show on, far superior pundits on that show, shows that you don't have to play the game professionally to be informative & entertaining, these put the other pundits to shame.
#Sausages

Online voodoo ray

• Bng-bng, BNG-BNG-BNG, bng-bng, bng-bng.....Ooooh OOOOH ooooooooh AAAAAHHHHH ah-hah, yeah!
  • Legacy Fan
  • feck off
One great thing Champions League group stage nights, when we're not on i always put the goals show on, far superior pundits on that show, shows that you don't have to play the game professionally to be informative & entertaining, these put the other pundits to shame.

that's one football show I will actually watch these days.

Online mattD

• Legacy Fan

They’re excellent. They used to do the European Football Show on BT too, but as ever, BT got rid of it’s more serious programmes in favour of shite banter shows.

Online rob1966

• YORKIE bar-munching, hedgehog-squashing (well-)articulated road-hog-litter-bug. Sleeping With The Enemy. Has felt the wind and shed his anger..... did you know I drive a Jag? Cucking funt!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
My missus agrees on this, the female commentator on MOTD is awful, me and my missus both hate her voice and the way she speaks when a goal is scored.
Jurgen YNWA

Offline slaphead

• Nothing up top.
  • Legacy Fan
My missus agrees on this, the female commentator on MOTD is awful, me and my missus both hate her voice and the way she speaks when a goal is scored.

I agree there. She's terrible, there's a few out there who are just so hard to listen to its hard to get past their annoying voice and listen to what they say. Clinton Morrison and Stuart Pearce are the same for me.
Haven't seen that Goals show must have a gander at it. Most of the people on TV/radio annoy me these days, would be nice to find a good panel.

Offline vivabobbygraham

• Waiting for the silver bus. Gobshites- united- will never be defeated. Whip him, beat him, call him Barbara, he can live with it. Self confessed c*nt (apparently)
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • The boys pen cured my acne

Agree with this. Neil Atkinson, although a proper red, hosts the 'Friday show' on TAW player and it is the best punditry in advance of the Premier League fixtures by a country mile. He is most erudite, insightful and leads his panel with humour and panache. Some of the gobshites stealing a living on these so called 'expert analysis' shows should give their heads a wobble and listen/watch some of the content being produced by TAW and other locally produced shows both on video and via podcast across the country. Put most of these ex pro quilts to shame.
...If you can meet with triumph and disaster
And treat those two imposters just the same

Offline slaphead

• Nothing up top.
  • Legacy Fan
Agree with this. Neil Atkinson, although a proper red, hosts the 'Friday show' on TAW player and it is the best punditry in advance of the Premier League fixtures by a country mile. He is most erudite, insightful and leads his panel with humour and panache. Some of the gobshites stealing a living on these so called 'expert analysis' shows should give their heads a wobble and listen/watch some of the content being produced by TAW and other locally produced shows both on video and via podcast across the country. Put most of these ex pro quilts to shame.

I've only really started listening to TAW, well to Podcasts in general actually, they are great I must say. Really good. With people like that you don't get the crap that a lot of ex-pro's come out with about how good or shite the person alongside them were. A lot of the ex-pro's struggle to tell you anything you didnt already know. Stealing a living is exactly right

Offline Ma Vie en Rouge

• J'aime voir...!
  • Legacy Fan
Ha ha, yes, this is quite common among a lot of ex players when they do commentary or summarising or talking in public about the game. I guess commentary/public expression is an art and while some ex-players take to it like a duck to water, others just aren't good at it so they tend to fall back on stock phrases. Sticking with cricket I remember Monty Panasar in his 'right areas' phase, just constantly saying 'got to get it in the right areas' every time he spoke.

Or remember Peter Beardsley saying 'to be fair' at the end of every single sentence. It got quite annoying, to be fair. Or Danny Mills spouting absolute fucking shite every time he opens his gob, the effluent-expounding meff.

This is a disease. It has infected 75% of sports people allowed into punditry. I can't even fathom what it means any more. For a while, it meant exactly "to be fair". Then it mutated into vaguely meaning "to be honest". But now, it seems to mean nothing at all. "That's a corner, to be fair". "This is Tuesday, to be fair." "I've got nothing remotely interesting to say, to be fair." "Cheese on toast is really nice sometimes, to be fair." Who the fucking hell is anyone being fair to? It drives me mad listening to people who are paid to talk and are unable, to be fair, to do so coherently.

Online voodoo ray

• Bng-bng, BNG-BNG-BNG, bng-bng, bng-bng.....Ooooh OOOOH ooooooooh AAAAAHHHHH ah-hah, yeah!
  • Legacy Fan
  • feck off
"For me"

Offline Ziltoid

• Grass. See you at next year's panto (oh no you won't!). Carrot-topped Phallic Snowman Extraordinaire.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Scrubbers
This is a disease. It has infected 75% of sports people allowed into punditry. I can't even fathom what it means any more. For a while, it meant exactly "to be fair". Then it mutated into vaguely meaning "to be honest". But now, it seems to mean nothing at all. "That's a corner, to be fair". "This is Tuesday, to be fair." "I've got nothing remotely interesting to say, to be fair." "Cheese on toast is really nice sometimes, to be fair." Who the fucking hell is anyone being fair to? It drives me mad listening to people who are paid to talk and are unable, to be fair, to do so coherently.

Really well put that to be fair

Offline vivabobbygraham

• Waiting for the silver bus. Gobshites- united- will never be defeated. Whip him, beat him, call him Barbara, he can live with it. Self confessed c*nt (apparently)
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
"He's got to do better than that"

Offline TepidT2O

• Deffo NOT 9"! MUFC bedwetter. Grass. Folically-challenged, God-piece-wearing, monkey-rubber. Jizz aroma expert. Operating at the lower end of the distribution curve...has the hots for Alan. Bastard. Fearless in transfer windows with lack of convicti
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • Dejan Lovren fan club member #1
Never seen John Walters do this before...

He’s a natural.
“Happiness can be found in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light.”
“Generosity always pays off. Generosity in your effort, in your work, in your kindness, in the way you look after people and take care of people. In the long run, if you are generous with a heart, and with humanity, it always pays off.”
W

Online Crosby Nick

• He was super funny. Used to do these super hilarious puns
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
Never seen John Walters do this before...

He’s a natural.

So that’s where 24/7’s gone.

Online mattD

• Legacy Fan
I’ll tell you someone who I think is an excellent lead commentator - Arlo White on NBC.

Describes the game very well and fairly, not prone to hyperbole or hysteria while also getting a sense of the occasion.

Not like Darren Fletcher On BT who commentates on us winning the Champions League as if we’ve just beaten Burnley and utterly failing to get a sense of occasion, or Martin Tyler who is as bitter and craggy an old man you’ll ever come across. As for BBC telly commentators.... sorry, I could barely name one as they are so unmemorable.

Online whtwht

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Good shout on Arlo. What happened to Mike Ingham. He was great on 5live
He'll win the league in the next 3 years. Quote me on that.
Quote me on this, but come next season he'll be great for us. Just needs to remove the walking headless chicken next to him

Online mattD

• Legacy Fan
Good shout on Arlo. What happened to Mike Ingham. He was great on 5live

Ooh he retired a while ago after the 2014 World Cup. He was only in his early 60s when retired as well. I did recall him saying at the end of his final broadcast that his most memorable commentary was Istanbul.
« Last Edit: September 1, 2019, 03:57:42 am by mattD »

Offline Andy-oh-six

• Legacy Fan
  • Mr Susan in 'the world of mirrors'...
Ooh he retired a while ago after the 2014 World Cup. He was only in his early 60s when retired as well. I did recall him saying at the end of his final broadcast that his most memorable broadcast as a commentator was Istanbul.

I couldn’t watch the pens and listened to them on the radio. Great commentary.
Internet terrorist

Offline Ghost Town

• RAWK snitch. Bands won't play no more. Too much fighting on the dance floor! Probably one of only three people who knows the meaning of "depuratory", the Suzy Dent-esque freakshow! Hannoying homunculus.
  • Legacy Fan
  • mundus vult decipi
I couldn’t watch the pens and listened to them on the radio. Great commentary.
I had a download of the whole radio commentary, game, pre and post match, and would often put it on in the background. Great commentary, as you say
"Every man has a right to utter what he thinks truth, and every other man has a right to knock him down for it."
Samuel (not Glen) Johnson, as reported by James (not Joey) Boswell. They must have foreseen RAWK ;D

Offline Stockholm Syndrome

• Djurgården Disease
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Re: 2018 - Who is worst Commentator/Pundit? Get your votes in and I'll add them
« Reply #4663 on: September 1, 2019, 04:51:55 pm »
Will never forget him saying that United won't be scared of Suarez running at them, before he completely ripped them apart in the Kuyt hat-trick game.

Also the time he couldn't stop laughing at the thought of us knocking Barcelona out of the champions league before we went to the Nou Camp and won 1-2.

The guy is a helmet. Wants sympathy for being a gambling addict but then takes part in Sky Bet adverts.

I remember him saying that "Suavez" would not be able to cope with the physicality and we should play a 442 with a (then injured) Andy Carroll up front

Offline chalky52

• Main Stander
« Reply #4664 on: September 1, 2019, 05:24:27 pm »
Was listening to the Totally Football show podcast like a bit of James Richardson and usually some decent journos however Pat Nevin was on this week and among a load of shots spouted talking about Aaron WanBisakas England call up said he is very impressed with him going forward but needs to tighten up his defending. Which suggests he has never watched a minute of him as he is quite a solid defender but very limited going forward. The complete ignorance of people on subjects they are getting paid on astounds me if I said something completely untrue in my line of work I would be challenged on it.

Danny Mills is the worst commentator by a country mile which takes some doing considering the competition.

Offline bradders1011

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Eat your greens and sing your blues
« Reply #4665 on: September 1, 2019, 08:41:52 pm »
Was listening to the Totally Football show podcast like a bit of James Richardson and usually some decent journos however Pat Nevin was on this week and among a load of shots spouted talking about Aaron WanBisakas England call up said he is very impressed with him going forward but needs to tighten up his defending. Which suggests he has never watched a minute of him as he is quite a solid defender but very limited going forward. The complete ignorance of people on subjects they are getting paid on astounds me if I said something completely untrue in my line of work I would be challenged on it.

Danny Mills is the worst commentator by a country mile which takes some doing considering the competition.

Did you know he used to listen to the Cocteau Twins in the 80s though?
If I were a linesman, I would execute defenders who applauded my offsides.

Offline redgriffin73

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Thanks for everything Rafa. Nunca Caminarás Solo.
« Reply #4666 on: September 1, 2019, 10:06:32 pm »
Oh look, Garth Crooks is being a cock again.

"Perhaps Firmino can heal the obvious rift between Mohamed Salah and Sadio Mane because it would appear manager Jurgen Klopp is having difficulty. For Mane to explode so publicly, as he did at being substituted after Salah had so clearly ignored him on two occasions to score, was completely justified. Salah can't play this game on his own - a point Firmino clearly understands."
Rafa Benitez: "I'll always keep in my heart the good times I've had here, the strong and loyal support of the fans in the tough times and the love from Liverpool. I have no words to thank you enough for all these years and I am very proud to say that I was your manager. Thank you so much once more and always remember: You'll never walk alone."

Offline slaphead

• Nothing up top.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4667 on: September 1, 2019, 10:09:47 pm »

"Perhaps Firmino can heal the obvious rift between Mohamed Salah and Sadio Mane because it would appear manager Jurgen Klopp is having difficulty. For Mane to explode so publicly, as he did at being substituted after Salah had so clearly ignored him on two occasions to score, was completely justified. Salah can't play this game on his own - a point Firmino clearly understands."

hahah dear Jesus. He really is embarrassing isn't he. So who will people believe I wonder. The man with the best man management skills in the game when he says its sorted, nothing to see. Or Garth Crooks

Offline Ratboy3G

• Sworn enemy of Mousegirl5G
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4668 on: September 1, 2019, 10:22:51 pm »

🙄
I am a man of few words.....any questions?

Offline Nitramdorf

• No longer as forward as he used to be, so has dropped back into midfield. Didn't you hear?
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4669 on: September 1, 2019, 11:04:53 pm »

I just read that. I guess I shouldn't let the thick c*nt wind me up but sometimes it's hard not to get angry at the sheer fucking stupidity of the tosser. Just to add to it, I have to pay the fuckers wages.

Offline BrandoLFC

• Should probably bugger off to Tetiaroa like his namesake did with no access to a telly or the Internet.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4670 on: September 2, 2019, 12:13:47 am »
Is this the proper place to talk about Souness's comments today?  Think he might need a vacation or a break....

Offline Ratboy3G

• Sworn enemy of Mousegirl5G
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4671 on: September 2, 2019, 12:19:58 am »
Is this the proper place to talk about Souness's comments today?  Think he might need a vacation or a break....

What has he said?
I am a man of few words.....any questions?

Offline Lush is the best medicine...

• FUCK THE POLICE - NWA
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4672 on: September 2, 2019, 12:25:03 am »
What has he said?
the ‘moise kean must have had issues if juve wanted to get rid’ thing

Offline vivabobbygraham

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4673 on: September 2, 2019, 12:25:38 am »
Indeed. I mean, there's definitely a need for this sort of thread to call out the Richard Keys and Danny Mills types, you know, the absolute fuckwits.

But the levels of over-sensitivity among our fans borders on pathological.

What d'ya mean, mate? Are you calling me a prick?

Offline vivabobbygraham

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4674 on: September 2, 2019, 12:30:24 am »
I've only really started listening to TAW, well to Podcasts in general actually, they are great I must say. Really good. With people like that you don't get the crap that a lot of ex-pro's come out with about how good or shite the person alongside them were. A lot of the ex-pro's struggle to tell you anything you didnt already know. Stealing a living is exactly right

Merci, mate

Offline vivabobbygraham

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4675 on: September 2, 2019, 12:43:58 am »

Okay, can we stop quoting Garth, a massive cockwomble (my 14 year old boy described him as thus). He is a token, ffs, as are Jenas and Mark fucking Bright before him. I fucking abhor racism. Garth fucking Crooks sets it back not forward cos he is a lighthouse that never shines a light...weird.

Offline BrandoLFC

• Should probably bugger off to Tetiaroa like his namesake did with no access to a telly or the Internet.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4676 on: September 2, 2019, 02:44:29 am »
the ‘moise kean must have had issues if juve wanted to get rid’ thing

With no actual proof that he had issues.  The guy was racially abused and his club was fine with it.  Really a ridiculous set of comments from Graeme.

Offline IgorBobbins

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • BOBBINS!
« Reply #4677 on: September 2, 2019, 11:51:42 am »

Charlie Nicholas said exactly the same thing on Soccer Saturday too  :o

Offline Raid

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4678 on: September 2, 2019, 12:58:20 pm »
I’ll tell you someone who I think is an excellent lead commentator - Arlo White on NBC.

Describes the game very well and fairly, not prone to hyperbole or hysteria while also getting a sense of the occasion.

Not like Darren Fletcher On BT who commentates on us winning the Champions League as if we’ve just beaten Burnley and utterly failing to get a sense of occasion, or Martin Tyler who is as bitter and craggy an old man you’ll ever come across. As for BBC telly commentators.... sorry, I could barely name one as they are so unmemorable.

In fairness to Darren Fletcher, I've always found him to be a good commentator, particularly on the Anfield European nights. I think he did Dortmund, and the Barca game was ok too. Would certainly rather have him than that tosser Tyler.

He was probably conscious of the split English audience on the Champions League Final. He needn't have been though with Jenas and Hoddle's blatant bias.

Offline Dazzer23

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #4679 on: September 2, 2019, 02:00:29 pm »

Shows how subjective it is because I think Darren Fletcher is about the best there is at the moment. (On TV anyway). I'm totally with you on Tyler though, good in his day but should've been pensioned off a long long time ago. I'm getting very close to pushing the mute button, when he's on now.