Author Topic: The Aussie Thread  (Read 331210 times)

Online Crosby Nick

• He was super funny. Used to do these super hilarious puns
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
Re: The Aussie Thread
« Reply #4160 on: September 27, 2017, 02:52:12 pm »
Jealous! I went to Uluru (just I show I paid attention and called it by its original name!). Distant fly there from Sydney though as we went in a loop from Sydney to Melbourne and onto Adelaide.

We actually booked the trip from Alice Springs and did a three day trip that took in the Olgas and Kings Canyon too. Couple of nights camped out literally under the stars which was pretty cool. Didn't climb Uluru (might not even be an option) as it was too windy but was still a pretty amazing sight and good to walk round it. The trip was good, partly pot luck on who the people you're thrown together with and what they're like. Obviously a long way to go to fly there just to see it so wouldn't want to say you should definitely do it but I found it interesting and seeing somewhere like Alice Springs (and even more so Coober Pedy) was pretty eye opening having come from some of the bigger cities.

Maggie Island was great too, might be biased from someone I met in a hostel there though. :D

Offline scouse92

• Main Stander
« Reply #4161 on: September 27, 2017, 03:06:39 pm »
Jealous! I went to Uluru (just I show I paid attention and called it by its original name!). Distant fly there from Sydney though as we went in a loop from Sydney to Melbourne and onto Adelaide.

We actually booked the trip from Alice Springs and did a three day trip that took in the Olgas and Kings Canyon too. Couple of nights camped out literally under the stars which was pretty cool. Didn't climb Uluru (might not even be an option) as it was too windy but was still a pretty amazing sight and good to walk round it. The trip was good, partly pot luck on who the people you're thrown together with and what they're like. Obviously a long way to go to fly there just to see it so wouldn't want to say you should definitely do it but I found it interesting and seeing somewhere like Alice Springs (and even more so Coober Pedy) was pretty eye opening having come from some of the bigger cities.

Maggie Island was great too, might be biased from someone I met in a hostel there though. :D

Haha thanks mate- i found out about Uluru when looking for flights there and nothing was coming up on skyscanner for ayers rock  ;D - the general consensus seems to be you have to go just to tick it off the list not for how amazing it is etc- I think we will go to do it barring loads of negative reviews- i think you are right in having that different experience away from the major cities and stuff.
« Last Edit: September 27, 2017, 03:08:49 pm by scouse92 »

Offline gravy red

• Kopite
« Reply #4162 on: September 27, 2017, 03:54:01 pm »
I've Finally handed in my notice at work and heading for a year to Australia on a Working Holiday Visa with my girlfriend. Ive done my main research and feel like we have got a good plan in place- But i've got a few specific questions from people who have experience-

First let me tell you the vague plan-

Late November- Land in Sydney- We have an air BnB booked for the first week to acclimatise sort out bank accounts etc.
Early December- We are heading to the blue mountains for a few days before heading back to Sydney to watch the Spartak home game and the Derby- (heard cheers bar is the place to go but any other recommendations are welcome)
From there we are thinking about getting a flight from Sydney to Ayers Rock for a 3 to 4 night camping tour (not booked as of yet- it is looking quite expensive- we are happy to pay if it is going to be worth it (suggestions?) - before flying from Ayers rock to Cairns.
From here the plan is vague- we are going to buy a camper either in Cairns or Townsville if possible but the only fixed plans and accommodation we have are Magnetic Island for the Christmas and New Year period (Full Moon Party etc.) and the Melbourne Grand Prix at the end of March.

i guess the questions i have are-

(as above)- Is cheers bar the best place to watch liverpool games in Sydney?

- Optus Sport on a mobile phone contract- i have read that adding optus sport to your phone for 15$ a month gives you access to all premier ship games data free. Does anyone have any reviews on if this is reliable and signal is pretty strong on the east coast throughout?

- (as above) is Ayers Rock worth the visit?

-I am an engineering graduate with 3 years of experience post degree. I know on a WHV you can only work up to 6 months in one job but it is common (or even possible) to gain professional employment? i have some retail experience during Uni but otherwise nothing else.

- I have done research on the obvious things to do up and down the coast but does anyone has any obscure or unknown tips for experiences or places worth a visit in between Cairns and Melbourne?

-Also  any pieces of kit you didn't think to pack which arn't obvious but you would recommend?

Really looking forward to getting out there now- any questions for me please ask!

Might be worth looking at going to Uluru at a different time of year (as your in Oz for 12 months). Flights over and around December and January are more expensive than the rest of the year due to it being a 'Peak time'.
before driving down from Cairns have a few days heading North up to the Daintree (myself and the misses done this and really enjoyed it and its not too far, by Ozzie standards), O, beware of the Crocs uo there.
There's also a place called Mossman Gorge (near Port Douglas) which we enjoyed (went there Boxing day, and lets just say the fresh water got rid of the Cob-webs)

I've done a few different road trips, and there really is so much to see and do that, as is often the case, local knowledge is the best and if someone recommends somewhere to try and visit, it very rarely disappoints.

Offline scouse92

• Main Stander
« Reply #4163 on: September 27, 2017, 04:38:32 pm »
Might be worth looking at going to Uluru at a different time of year (as your in Oz for 12 months). Flights over and around December and January are more expensive than the rest of the year due to it being a 'Peak time'.
before driving down from Cairns have a few days heading North up to the Daintree (myself and the misses done this and really enjoyed it and its not too far, by Ozzie standards), O, beware of the Crocs uo there.
There's also a place called Mossman Gorge (near Port Douglas) which we enjoyed (went there Boxing day, and lets just say the fresh water got rid of the Cob-webs)

I've done a few different road trips, and there really is so much to see and do that, as is often the case, local knowledge is the best and if someone recommends somewhere to try and visit, it very rarely disappoints.

Thanks for the reply! This is definitely true. I know what we are doing is a beaten path and very popular but i do want to experience the different culture and have a different experience away the main tourist attractions aswell. Daintree & Mossman Gorge i will look into!

good point about peak times- I will look into Uluru prices for later in the year. The reasoning for december was we were flying from Sydney to Cairns anyway so to fly via Uluru would (kind of) make sense. It is also the start of the trip where we will have the most money but i will definitely price it up and see if it is drastically different.
« Last Edit: September 27, 2017, 04:44:13 pm by scouse92 »

Offline elbow

• grease
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Boss Tha
« Reply #4164 on: September 28, 2017, 03:45:32 am »
Thanks for the reply! This is definitely true. I know what we are doing is a beaten path and very popular but i do want to experience the different culture and have a different experience away the main tourist attractions aswell. Daintree & Mossman Gorge i will look into!

good point about peak times- I will look into Uluru prices for later in the year. The reasoning for december was we were flying from Sydney to Cairns anyway so to fly via Uluru would (kind of) make sense. It is also the start of the trip where we will have the most money but i will definitely price it up and see if it is drastically different.

It might be worth buying a vehicle in Sydney and driving up to Cairns, flogging it when your done and then fly back down. I reckon there would be more choice in Sydney and more affordable. You would most definitely need one with A1 air conditioning. It gets really hot at that time of year.

Cheers is a good place. Loads of Reds in there.
We are Liverpool!

Offline Brissyred

• RAWK's Great Uncle Google......
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #4165 on: September 28, 2017, 04:21:25 am »

Congratulations mate well done
I remember it falling through last time . It's best move we've ever made

Personally I'd not listen to much to Aussies about where to live as most don't realise what a great place Australia is & think places are shit such as Adelaide & you think really!!

Have you been to the UK ??

Now I'm in Darwin & it's fantastic. It's never going to compare with the big cities as it's really just a big country town in the tropics . Nowhere is perfect but for the relaxed Aussie lifestyle it's perfect.
All Aussies I know where unsure about Darwin but none had ever been here .
For us & others with children it's just amazing a fantastic place for kids . So much to see & do & for such little cost .

I've lived in Sydney & enjoy all the Australian cities but I think depending on circumstances depends where you want to live .

We really love Adelaide & is somwheowe would consider in the future but when I first came to Australia 22 years ago traveling would I have fancied Adelaide probably not as I loved Sydney & all the things you enjoy when your young.
Now no interest in living in the big cities.
You get used to the heat here in Darwin & in 8 months being here eve had ONE day under 30 degrees. It's 32-33 everyday so if we move I'm looking Cairns or Townsville still warm all year round .

As for work I'm sure your aware in Sydney & Melbourne there's far more competition & ive heard since being here Adelaide is notorious for difficult to get work & slightly higher unemployment rate

Perth can be tough aswell a lot of Poms I know here didn't find it easy to get work straight away or end up doing completely different jobs to what they did in the UK.

There is a positive though & I can only speak for Darwin which has a very very laid back lifestyle which is great but can be infuriating if you need something sorted but you have to embrace it as I left the hustle & bustle of London for a reason .

The positive being the work ethic here is shocking in fact horrendous. To be honest in the UK just called lazy . People here go sick constantly for such minor things & are late for work constantly.

Now I work for Kmart as Store Operations manager here in Darwin I've had no previous retail experience but the store manager was desperate for basically a reliable worker with a good background. 😁😁

The beauty for me is next step is Store manager & can transfer in time to virtually anywhere in Australia as Kmart are everywhere

It's about coming here with positive attitude & try not to compare everything. I know you've been here before as I had traveling etc but living here for good is surreal at times especially when I think I'm in Darwin of all places .

I'm off to Adelaide in December for the 2nd Ashes Test & can't wait , been some good banter at work already

When are you looking at relocating

Good post, you're correct about the work ethic, a lot of people that I have hired think they deserve praise just because they managed to go a whole week without being late or missing a day :butt
That does tend to put us poms at an advantage when it comes to getting a job tho'

Offline Brissyred

• RAWK's Great Uncle Google......
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4166 on: September 28, 2017, 04:23:42 am »
-I am an engineering graduate with 3 years of experience post degree. I know on a WHV you can only work up to 6 months in one job but it is common (or even possible) to gain professional employment? i have some retail experience during Uni but otherwise nothing else.
What sort of engineering?

Offline scouse92

• Main Stander
« Reply #4167 on: September 28, 2017, 09:06:07 am »
It might be worth buying a vehicle in Sydney and driving up to Cairns, flogging it when your done and then fly back down. I reckon there would be more choice in Sydney and more affordable. You would most definitely need one with A1 air conditioning. It gets really hot at that time of year.

Cheers is a good place. Loads of Reds in there.

Thanks elbow, gutted i wont be at the derby but i've heard some of the bars in Australia have good atmospheres so also looking forward to that experience...

We have our accommodation booked in magnetic island over christmas and New Year so Cairns makes more sense for our plans. I am hoping with it being just before christmas people will be finishing their trips and wanting to get home with a quick sale.

What sort of engineering?

I have an Aerospace Degree with 3 years experience in certification. From the limited research i have done it looks like Australia is crying out for Civil Engineers but other disciplines not as much.   

Offline Grobbelrevell

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry & ignorance
    • The Grobbelramble
« Reply #4168 on: October 16, 2017, 01:50:00 pm »

Late to this, but first of all - enjoy! There's loads to do and see and you'll undoubtedly meet some great people along the way as well. Reading your loose plans has made me sad i'm not heading off again.  :wave

On this point in particular though, I had similar designs on trying to get a 'professional' job on my second WHV (I was hoping to try and get sponsorship). I applied for a lot of jobs that I knew I was qualified for, some contract, maternity cover and the like and didn't hear back from any of them. When I got back to the UK I was chatting to a guy who ultimately ended up helping me obtain a permanent visa for Australia, but had previously worked in recruitment over there. He told me, very bluntly, that if he had a CV land on his desk or in his inbox, and the applicant didn't have full residency status, then it "went straight in the bin". I'm not saying it doesn't happen, i'm sure it does, and it probably depends on your profession and the demand (and who you know!), but I think it's rare, to say the least. Certainly in my experience and based on what i've been told.
Twitter | Blog

TRADE COUNT: +19  /  SoS Member 6854

Offline scouse92

• Main Stander
« Reply #4169 on: October 17, 2017, 02:11:16 pm »
Late to this, but first of all - enjoy! There's loads to do and see and you'll undoubtedly meet some great people along the way as well. Reading your loose plans has made me sad i'm not heading off again.  :wave

On this point in particular though, I had similar designs on trying to get a 'professional' job on my second WHV (I was hoping to try and get sponsorship). I applied for a lot of jobs that I knew I was qualified for, some contract, maternity cover and the like and didn't hear back from any of them. When I got back to the UK I was chatting to a guy who ultimately ended up helping me obtain a permanent visa for Australia, but had previously worked in recruitment over there. He told me, very bluntly, that if he had a CV land on his desk or in his inbox, and the applicant didn't have full residency status, then it "went straight in the bin". I'm not saying it doesn't happen, i'm sure it does, and it probably depends on your profession and the demand (and who you know!), but I think it's rare, to say the least. Certainly in my experience and based on what i've been told.

Thanks Grobbel-  This is how i thought it would be. I might put in a few CVs for engineering work when we settle but I have no problem doing travelers work- in fact it would probably work better in meeting other people. The only problem is my limited experience in other types of jobs, but I've heard good things about job availability.

If we do decide to stay long term then i would probably need to do some more research but i can look at that if the situation comes about.

Offline RedmeisterOZ

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #4170 on: October 17, 2017, 05:36:49 pm »
The Ashes. Enough said.
I'll tell you one thing for sure... I wouldn't trust no words written down on no piece of paper, especially from no Dickenson out in the town of Machine.

Offline scouse92

• Main Stander
« Reply #4171 on: October 19, 2017, 10:52:43 am »
Sorry for clogging this thread but it does seem to be a good source of info.

I have a question for people who have moved bank accounts from the UK to Australia. Basically what is the best way to maximize the transfer of GBP to AUD? is it as simple as just moving your money from your UK bank account to your AUS one or is it worth using an exchange company?

Offline Grobbelrevell

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
    • The Grobbelramble
« Reply #4172 on: October 19, 2017, 02:21:12 pm »
Thanks Grobbel-  This is how i thought it would be. I might put in a few CVs for engineering work when we settle but I have no problem doing travelers work- in fact it would probably work better in meeting other people. The only problem is my limited experience in other types of jobs, but I've heard good things about job availability.

If we do decide to stay long term then i would probably need to do some more research but i can look at that if the situation comes about.

Casual work can be a great experience. At least, that's how I found it anyway. A big part of why I wanted to travel was to get new experiences and meet new people, and throwing myself into jobs that i'd never done before, and probably never will again, was great in that respect. You kinda get to be who you want to be when you go away, which is liberating in many ways. Don't get me wrong, some of the jobs I did were incredibly hard work, and some of them were downright shite, but I wouldn't change any of it in hindsight. Over my time away I did strawberry picking and packing, for two separate farms, ginger picking and chopping, labouring on a building site, emptying shipping containers, forklift driving, general warehouse work and cold call sales. Oh, and I worked in a meat factory for three months too. Almost forgot that one! This kind of casual work is pretty easy to come by and most hostels will either have a noticeboard where places looking for casual workers will advertise, or they can point you in the right direction. In addition to that, if you're looking to do your regional work for the second WHV, i'd say look up a good working hostel. They can be invaluable for this and tend to have established links with nearby farms and the like, so you'll go in and add your name to the list and they'll let you know when you're up. One that I used and would recommend was the Maroochydore YHA in Queensland (just north of Brisbane). Those guys were brilliant with us. We arrived almost broke and they let us work around the hostel to cover our rent whilst we were waiting for space on the farms. I still speak to the hostel manager now. Working hostels like that one tend to house longer term residents as well, so it becomes a family atmosphere and that's where you'll find yourself making some really great, lasting connections with new people.

Ask around for all of this stuff though. The good thing about travelers, and hostels generally, is they're sociable and there will be people more than happy to advise you on where's good to go, in which months and so on.

All the best with it mate. You'll have a blast.
« Last Edit: October 19, 2017, 02:29:50 pm by Grobbelrevell »
Twitter | Blog

Offline damomad

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4173 on: October 19, 2017, 05:36:09 pm »
Casual work can be a great experience.

Those farming stories bring back fond memories. It can be shite work at the time but memories last forever. I must have had about 10 different causal jobs in my first year. One disaster:

Worked for a catering company, setting up orders for customers. Had to clean all the dishes/cutlery/glasses before I sent them off. On this occasion I had a box of about 1000 premium quality spoons/knives/forks and I had to steep them first. I took out a bottle of what I thought was cleaning liquid.

Opened up the box an hour later and they had all corroded. I was like Mr Bean after ruining Whistlers mother. I proceeded to sellotape the box and stick it at the back of the warehouse.

That was my last day, never requested a reference from that place!
« Last Edit: October 19, 2017, 05:37:41 pm by damomad »
You're still the one pool where I'd happily drown

Online Crosby Nick

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #4174 on: October 19, 2017, 06:47:21 pm »
How many big bastard spiders did you see daily when farming/fruit picking. Have to say that put me off somewhat. Office and call centre work only for me back in the day. :D

Offline Grobbelrevell

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
    • The Grobbelramble
« Reply #4175 on: October 20, 2017, 08:32:50 am »
How many big bastard spiders did you see daily when farming/fruit picking. Have to say that put me off somewhat. Office and call centre work only for me back in the day. :D

I saw two huntsmen, one on a farm and one in the hostel we were staying at. Beyond that, and other than a possible red-back sighting when sat in the dirt ginger picking (I remain unconvinced), I didn't really see anything. That's the reason I stayed well clear of banana plantations though - I heard enough stories about them to put me right off!
Twitter | Blog

Offline WEST HAM PAUL

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • I'm Forever Blowing Bubbles
« Reply #4176 on: October 20, 2017, 01:45:55 pm »
Sorry for clogging this thread but it does seem to be a good source of info.

I have a question for people who have moved bank accounts from the UK to Australia. Basically what is the best way to maximize the transfer of GBP to AUD? is it as simple as just moving your money from your UK bank account to your AUS one or is it worth using an exchange company?

I just opened a Westpac bank account whilst still in the UK then deposited the money in . They will give you a rate . Easiest way mate rather than companies etc . I made sure I did all my savings before the Brexit referendum if I'd waited a week later I'd have lost $4,000 at that time

Fortunes Always Hiding. 

And The Sun Shines Now

Sex bombs to the left of me would be playboy bunnies to the right and here I am stuck in the middle with my pasty white bird.

Offline WEST HAM PAUL

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4177 on: October 20, 2017, 01:52:01 pm »
I saw two huntsmen, one on a farm and one in the hostel we were staying at. Beyond that, and other than a possible red-back sighting when sat in the dirt ginger picking (I remain unconvinced), I didn't really see anything. That's the reason I stayed well clear of banana plantations though - I heard enough stories about them to put me right off!

Had a huntsman in the garage a few months back . Had a small Mouse spider in the house last week there as dangerous as Funnel web spider . The mouse spider can play dead & also in water lying upside down plus can be in water in a bubble it creates underneath. One crafty fucker

Went for a walk about 10 mins from my house & a snake slithered away into the grass a few months back

Small Geckos & frogs including Cane Toads all the time outside

I'm in the Northern suburbs of Darwin next stop the bush 😳

Fortunes Always Hiding. 

And The Sun Shines Now

Sex bombs to the left of me would be playboy bunnies to the right and here I am stuck in the middle with my pasty white bird.

Offline scouse92

• Main Stander
« Reply #4178 on: October 20, 2017, 02:36:57 pm »

snip

All the best with it mate. You'll have a blast.

Thanks Mate... its creeping up now!

I just opened a Westpac bank account whilst still in the UK then deposited the money in . They will give you a rate . Easiest way mate rather than companies etc . I made sure I did all my savings before the Brexit referendum if I'd waited a week later I'd have lost $4,000 at that time

Bloody hell- Lucky you didn't wait! The exchange rate really is poor at the moment which is a bit of a pain but Brexit was the reason i made this decision in the first place.

Offline WEST HAM PAUL

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4179 on: October 20, 2017, 03:05:52 pm »
Thanks Mate... its creeping up now!

Bloody hell- Lucky you didn't wait! The exchange rate really is poor at the moment which is a bit of a pain but Brexit was the reason i made this decision in the first place.

As for looking for work of course depends on what but it's not as easy as it may seem

On paper there may be lots of jobs going but it doesn't appear all what it seems. Through our experience & talking to locals a lot of jobs are who you know not what you know & if you don't have what they call local experience it can go against you an easy excuse not to employ you .

We've a few friends that work in local government & they all say a lot of jobs advertised actually don't exist as such as an internal applicant already working for the government has the job but by law they have to advertise it . They know who they want & purely a tick box exercise.

Almost most qualifications in the UK won't be recognised.

Recruitment agencies here are horrendously bad not worth it in my opinion and what Visa your on can depend as well as let's say Aussie HR departments aren't the best . If your visa has an expiry date most will use it as an excuse they can't employ you . When in fact they can & just need to add that date to your contract.
A government HR worker told us that directly & actually said there to lazy

Some casual jobs won't employ you especially if your over 18 as they have to pay you more & extra called Penalty Rates at weekends. This happens where I work all Xmas casual staff employed  are aged  14-17

Not wishing to sound negative just making it realistic so your prepared. Once you get a job someone takes a chance on you your in the ball is rolling but it can be frustrating.

I was lucky took me 3 weeks but mrs WHP took 3 months. Worth it as both in good jobs now
Fortunes Always Hiding. 

And The Sun Shines Now

Offline Grobbelrevell

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
    • The Grobbelramble
« Reply #4180 on: November 13, 2017, 07:42:31 am »
Got a pair for the Australia-Honduras World Cup qualifier on Wednesday.

Can’t wait!

Anyone off here going?
Twitter | Blog

Offline Redcap

• Legacy Fan
  • You wrote a bad song Petey!
« Reply #4181 on: November 15, 2017, 08:39:49 am »
Well done, my country, for voting yes on marriage equality. I've never been more proud to be Australian.

Offline damomad

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4182 on: November 15, 2017, 09:21:23 am »
Well done, my country, for voting yes on marriage equality. I've never been more proud to be Australian.

Just seen that, it was only going to go one way when the people where giving a chance to speak. Fair play Australia!

Offline Flinstone

• Whatever you like. Would like to slip it in without making it awkward... Chinese Information Minister
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4183 on: November 15, 2017, 10:47:03 am »
I love Australia. The only thing that pisses my of is so many Europeans. Fucking arrogant bastards. Back to where you came from
The West is finished, China is the future

Online Crosby Nick

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #4184 on: November 15, 2017, 11:25:01 am »
I love Australia. The only thing that pisses my of is so many Europeans. Fucking arrogant bastards. Back to where you came from

Glad you’re not generalising. :D

Offline Flinstone

• Whatever you like. Would like to slip it in without making it awkward... Chinese Information Minister
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4185 on: November 15, 2017, 01:35:00 pm »
dont get me started mate. germans are nice, british people are 50-50 but fucking hell the others do my head in.

No I don't care to learn French, no it is not beautiful and frog legs and stinky blue cheese is not my idea of good food and wtf are the spanish so cocky about. Reggaeton and paella? What a joke

Offline damomad

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4186 on: November 15, 2017, 03:27:04 pm »
4th World Cup in a row! The Aussies sporting prowess never ceases to amaze me.

Offline BarryCrocker

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #4187 on: November 15, 2017, 10:31:29 pm »

Said every aboriginal for the past 200+ years.

And all the world is football shaped, It's just for me to kick in space. And I can see, hear, smell, touch, taste.

Offline Grobbelrevell

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
    • The Grobbelramble
« Reply #4188 on: November 16, 2017, 09:38:57 am »
Said every aboriginal for the past 200+ years.

Indeed.

Made up with the marriage equality vote though. Well in, Australia.
Twitter | Blog

Offline jooneyisdagod

• Doesn't like having pussy round the house
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4189 on: November 17, 2017, 08:09:09 am »
Well done Australia on the gay marriage postal vote as well as qualifying for the world cup.
Quote from: Dion Fanning

The chants for Kenny Dalglish that were heard again on Wednesday do not necessarily mean that the fans see him as the saviour. This is not Newcastle, longing for the return of Kevin Keegan. Simply, Dalglish represents everything Hodgson is not and, in fairness, everything Hodgson could or would not hope to be.

Offline Scaryscouse

• Purveyor of shite english lager
  • Legacy Fan
  • Nice packet of Crunchy Nut you got here
« Reply #4190 on: December 28, 2017, 02:56:58 am »
Been a while since I swung by here. Hope everyone had a great Christmas break. Year 8 of living here next month.... Still can't stand cricket :D

Great to see one or two reds making their way out here, it's the best decision you'll ever make!
« Last Edit: December 28, 2017, 03:16:16 am by Scaryscouse »
I remember years ago doing the fart with your fingers pointed like a gun.

I did it to my brother, I had a dressing gown on.

Instead of farting I shat on the floor - my brother thought I was demented.

Offline Scaryscouse

• Purveyor of shite english lager
  • Legacy Fan
  • Nice packet of Crunchy Nut you got here
« Reply #4191 on: January 2, 2018, 02:03:00 am »
Keeping this one bumped so I don't forget it's here. Hope yee all had a great one for new years.
I remember years ago doing the fart with your fingers pointed like a gun.

I did it to my brother, I had a dressing gown on.

Instead of farting I shat on the floor - my brother thought I was demented.

Offline WEST HAM PAUL

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4192 on: January 2, 2018, 06:14:25 am »
Been a while since I swung by here. Hope everyone had a great Christmas break. Year 8 of living here next month.... Still can't stand cricket :D

Great to see one or two reds making their way out here, it's the best decision you'll ever make!

One year here tomorrow 3rd January, still loving Darwin Xmas & New Years was lovely.

As you say best decision ever to come here

Off to Sydney on 8th for 3 nights first time there since 2010 so will be nice
Fortunes Always Hiding. 

And The Sun Shines Now

Offline Geppvindh's

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4193 on: January 2, 2018, 07:22:06 am »
Missus and I have been granted the PR today!

Need to make an entry before July. Made up, but nervous as hell as we have no clue what we're about to do.

Offline Grobbelrevell

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
    • The Grobbelramble
« Reply #4194 on: January 2, 2018, 08:11:23 am »

Need to make an entry before July. Made up, but nervous as hell as we have no clue what we're about to do.

Congratulations mate! I know how nerve-wracking it is waiting to hear back after all of the effort and expense of getting an application lodged.

Where abouts are you aiming to move to? Are you visiting just to validate first and then heading over permanently at a later date, or going all in? Sorry for all the questions, it's just interesting to see how other people are going about making the switch.
Twitter | Blog

Offline Geppvindh's

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4195 on: January 2, 2018, 08:46:08 am »
Congratulations mate! I know how nerve-wracking it is waiting to hear back after all of the effort and expense of getting an application lodged.

Where abouts are you aiming to move to? Are you visiting just to validate first and then heading over permanently at a later date, or going all in? Sorry for all the questions, it's just interesting to see how other people are going about making the switch.

Thanks, mate.

We're looking to move to Sydney as that's where the wife's sister and family are. Thought it would just be easier for us to be within touching distance of family while moving to a new country. We'd like to go all in if all goes well. Trying to line up a few job interviews at the sister-in-law's company and through certain other contacts. Wife wants to do a masters so she's got to start looking at courses, scholarships and the like. Wouldn't mind taking a month-long vacation if none of this works out by June and sort something out there.

Offline WEST HAM PAUL

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4196 on: January 4, 2018, 02:40:45 am »

Congratulations mate you must be delighted

I see your looking at Sydney do you have a particular area your looking at .

If you’ve got contacts which it looks like helps as finding work not as easy as people think at times .

Fortunes Always Hiding. 

And The Sun Shines Now

Offline jooneyisdagod

• Doesn't like having pussy round the house
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4197 on: January 4, 2018, 02:57:49 am »

Congratulations! It's a fantastic place to live. The job scene isn't the best in some industries but overall it's such a fantastic place to live.
Quote from: Dion Fanning

The chants for Kenny Dalglish that were heard again on Wednesday do not necessarily mean that the fans see him as the saviour. This is not Newcastle, longing for the return of Kevin Keegan. Simply, Dalglish represents everything Hodgson is not and, in fairness, everything Hodgson could or would not hope to be.

Offline Flinstone

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #4198 on: January 4, 2018, 06:07:09 am »
Thanks, mate.

We're looking to move to Sydney as that's where the wife's sister and family are. Thought it would just be easier for us to be within touching distance of family while moving to a new country. We'd like to go all in if all goes well. Trying to line up a few job interviews at the sister-in-law's company and through certain other contacts. Wife wants to do a masters so she's got to start looking at courses, scholarships and the like. Wouldn't mind taking a month-long vacation if none of this works out by June and sort something out there.

Yo yo yo, welcome to sydney! Amazing city.

Jobs are aplenty if you have some sort of technical skill dont worry.

If youre willing to do manual labor those guys earm as much as us desk jockeys its nuts.

So much money in Australia its unreal. Do you know where in sydney youre staying?

Offline Geppvindh's

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4199 on: January 4, 2018, 09:04:04 am »
Thanks folks! We're still soaking things in and have nothing in place yet. It is, of course, a blessing that we've got family there already, so the move is going to be easier than it must have been for most of you. Think we'll decide on the suburb based on where I find employment.